Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 Tory remainers – the key voting group who are giving St

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 Tory remainers – the key voting group who are giving Starmer positive ratings

We are just over 3 years and 10 months from May 2nd 2024 which is the final date that the next general election can be held. That’s the time that the new Labour leader, Keir Starmer, has got in order to put himself into position where LAB can take enough seats to make the party electorally competitive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited June 2020
    They might be positive about Starmer, but will they vote for him? I don't think they will.

I think he's getting good ratings as a leader of the opposition, not as a potential PM.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    First
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Best they vote LibDem, to be honest.
    As Starmer has refused to back a transition period I cannot see Brexit even being in the mix in 2024
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591

First

I don't think you've quite got the hang of this, Big_G.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    FPT:
    Mr. T, I hadn't heard the anosmia one.

Interestingly, the axon sheaths of myelin are thinner in psychopaths, but psychopathology is very much a male thing (there are female psychopaths but they're much rarer). yet women have thinner myelin sheaths than men as standard. I always wondered why that was.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Vote Layla - it's the future!
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

They might be positive about Starmer, but will they vote for him? I don't think they will.

I think he's getting good ratings as a leader of the opposition, not as a potential PM.

The polling numbers otherwise. Generally incumbents have a huge advantage in Best PM ratings. The latest has Starmer just 1% behind
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Ave_it said:

You mean like the Championship is for Watford
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Not sure Johnson will be the runner for the Tories in 2024.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Nigelb said:

First

He's a firm believer in zero-indexing.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,865
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

First

There was something poignant about that.

I think those 1st 2 posts should be swapped around if that is possible?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    kinabalu said:
    » show previous quotes
    A total absence of empathy is the single most defining characteristic. The glib charm and/or high intelligence is typically present in those who are 'high functioning' but there are thick, obnoxious psychos. Or let me put it this way, if you meet a thick, obnoxious individual do not go assuming they are not a psychopath. It could save your life.
    The thick ones tend to be in and out of jail and are easy to spot. It's the clever ones you need to avoid. Surgeons and CEOs have a high prevalence.

I think its good life advice in general to try and avoid surgeons and CEOs!!
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,288
    It wasn't me. I am a Tory remainer and i would not give Starmer a positive vote. He is a shit of the first order. ..playing politics over people dying... Revolting.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Has Starmer killed off the Lib Dems? For my money there is enough far left energy within the party to make a few Liberals steer clear and keep hold of a few seats for the yellows.

First

Runner up 😀😀😀😀😀
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

You mean like the Championship is for Watford
    Hopefully not. Looking forward to collecting the 3 points off Burnley soon :lol:
    Nigelb said:

First

Looks like it

FPT:
    Mr. T, I hadn't heard the anosmia one.

Interestingly, the axon sheaths of myelin are thinner in psychopaths, but psychopathology is very much a male thing (there are female psychopaths but they're much rarer). yet women have thinner myelin sheaths than men as standard. I always wondered why that was.

The one I knew was male. And tall, he was quite tall. And indeed Austrian.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

First

There was something poignant about that.

I think those 1st 2 posts should be swapped around if that is possible?
    I'd vote for that, but it would be setting a precedent of incalculable proportions.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603
    Brom said:

Has Starmer killed off the Lib Dems? For my money there is enough far left energy within the party to make a few Liberals steer clear and keep hold of a few seats for the yellows.

Starmer needs the LDs in the West Country and the South East to run the Tories down into hung parliament territory.

It wasn't me. I am a Tory remainer and i would not give Starmer a positive vote. He is a shit of the first order. ..playing politics over people dying... Revolting.

The temerity to ask difficult questions of the government in a pandemic where we've been one of the worst performing nations on earth.
    The horror !
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Pulpstar said:

The mutterings are getting louder. Tories are noting the recent comments of Patel and now Sunak after this offensive from the left.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Pulpstar said:

The temerity to ask difficult questions of the government in a pandemic where we've been one of the worst performing nations on earth.
    The horror !
    The big test for the government and the opposition is still to come. If he is grown up about the decisions to come, I'll have a lot of respect for him. I wouldn't put much money on Labour being grown up about it, though.

Pulpstar said:

The mutterings are getting louder. Tories are noting the recent comments of Patel and now Sunak after this offensive from the left.
    Nothing to do with the left.

All to do with his mishandling of Cummings and he lost me over that

He has done nothing of the sort. He was generally supportive until the wheels came off Johnson's wagon. It is Starmer's job to call the government to account in order to prevent more people dying as a result of government complacency.
    Is the quality of Russian propaganda declining... or do they just know their market ?

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1270335685514403840
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,775

One is a necessary first step towards the other.

The subsequent steps might not be taken, Starmer might not be good enough, but taking the first step is as good as he could hope for two months into the job after the debacle of GE2019.
    Pulpstar said:

The horror !
    We dont know that we have been the worst. I think there has been a lot of duplicity about the figures. Look at Russia for starters.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048
    Very hard to do without it looking like a creepy masonic initiation of some kind isn't it? Not wholly successful, but decent attempt to look human doing it by Kier and Angela. The democrats in the scarves and masks looked truly horrifying.

Pulpstar said:

The horror !
    We dont know that we have been the worst. I think there has been a lot of duplicity about the figures. Look at Russia for starters.
    Well that must make it alright then.
    He seems to have triggered both the right and the left in the comments below, so I'm not going to complain.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

The polling numbers otherwise. Generally incumbents have a huge advantage in Best PM ratings. The latest has Starmer just 1% behind
    Agreed, but is it real? Some people might just be relieved not to see Corbyn there and will be inclined to be positive, especially if they are remainers, as you say. Votes, though? I don't know about that.

He'll eventually have to say more about what he'd do rather than picking holes in what the government is doing, which is where it gets more difficult.

Yeah that image wont go down well with moderates. Cringe worthy.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    "Anti-Black racism" Starmer shows that Asians are no longer considered worthy.

I'm now of the belief that if you gave Starmer enough wine he'd start explaining how racism against Asians isn't as bad as racism against black people.

It's actually quite a shocking statement for all Asians in the UK that we're not considered worth protesting for by the Labour leader. I hope Patel, Javid and Sunak pick up on this.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,633
    England case numbers out - by specimen date we have -

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,780
    MaxPB said:

I'm now of the belief that if you gave Starmer enough wine he'd start explaining how racism against Asians isn't as bad as racism against black people.

It's actually quite a shocking statement for all Asians in the UK that we're not considered worth protesting for by the Labour leader. I hope Patel, Javid and Sunak pick up on this.
    What a stupid thing for Starmer to say. He could just have gone with "We kneel with all those opposing racism."
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

First

He's a firm believer in zero-indexing.
    https://xkcd.com/163/
    Nigelb said:

First

I just wish he had added...like Boris in 2024!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020
    We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. We build deep relationships across the diaspora and strategise to challenge the rise of the authoritarian right-wing across the world, from Brazil to Britain.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Marxism...
    MaxPB said:

All racism is equal, but some is more equal than the rest.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,884

Pulpstar said:

How has he "lost" you? You would still vote tory in a hypothetical Johnson vs Starmer GE next week.
    MaxPB said:

It does seem like an odd qualifier, certainly. Hard to do these photo ops without it looking forced though.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

What a stupid thing for Starmer to say. He could just have gone with "We kneel with all those opposing racism."
    His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Apparently you can't say all racism is bad or all lives matter, think he's hoping someone might fall into the trap and let the twitter mob eat them up.
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

How has he "lost" you? You would still vote tory in a hypothetical Johnson vs Starmer GE next week.
    I am a conservative and will vote conservative but that does not mean I support Boris anymore than millions who voted labour supported Corbyn
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Is racism against black people worse than racism against Jews? I thought Labour had moved beyond this kind of stuff. I have to say this is incredibly disappointing.

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Shades of Livingstone after the London bombings - "It was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners..."
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Not if you're Asian or Jewish.

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures that disproportionately harm black people in Britain and around the world. We build deep relationships across the diaspora and strategise to challenge the rise of the authoritarian right-wing across the world, from Brazil to Britain.

From Brazil to Britain. It's the new axis, isn't it?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    https://verify-it-c19data.co.uk
    updated on Tuesday 9 June 2020 at 4:31pm
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mostly been impressed by Starmer, excepting his stupid (though not yet fleshed out) ideas on devolution.

Not sure his capitulation photo-op will age well. A leader doesn't get on his knees before a mob of vandals.
    edited June 2020
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Sorry, that sounded very insensitive. I think a better description would have been a bubble story.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Someone should write him a letter.
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    It's a bit like Theresa in the 'feminist t-shirt'. But I'd imagine this image is a bit more damaging to his brand as a level headed individual. The centre ground was crying out for Labour to move away from identity politics rather than embrace it.

Pulpstar said:

The horror !
    No it doesnt make it alright but i question the veracity of other countries figures...
    Brom said:

Yeah that image wont go down well with moderates. Cringe worthy.
    It looks like s misstep to me too. Maybe that is what it is and he just stumbled, otherwise he does look like a bit of a knob!

Happily, Johnson has made a career of looking a bit of a knob.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Sorry, that sounded very insensitive. I think a better description would have been a bubble story.
    Indeed. If you're not surfing sites like this you won't see it. Unless the Tories kick off about it - perhaps Boris goes for Starmer at PMQs - then it won't leave the internet.
    edited June 2020
    Like the eco-fascists organizers, the BLM movement organizers are about much more than having some statues removed and raising awareness of racism. They are very clear this is about overthrowing the capitalist system. No amount of extra electric cars, planting some trees and relocating some statues in museums will be anywhere near enough.

Pulpstar said:

The horror !
    No it doesnt make it alright but i question the veracity of other countries figures...
    For the most part they are conveniently inacurate, as it would seem are ours.
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Indeed. If you're not surfing sites like this you won't see it. Unless the Tories kick off about it - perhaps Boris goes for Starmer at PMQs - then it won't leave the internet.
    Boris needs to absolutely nail him to the wall on this tomorrow and force Starmer into an unequivocal stand against all racism, not just racism against black people. Honestly I'm actually pretty mad about this, and usually these things don't bother me.
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    That is what I was trying to say, in an extremely ham-fisted way. :D
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

Like the eco-fascists organizers, the BLM movement organizers are about much more than having some statues removed and raising awareness of racism. They are very clear this is about overthrowing the capitalist system. No amount of extra electric cars, planting some trees and relocating some statues in museums will be anywhere near enough.

Maybe some don't like being killed by policemen?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620

Very hard to do without it looking like a creepy masonic initiation of some kind isn't it? Not wholly successful, but decent attempt to look human doing it by Kier and Angela. The democrats in the scarves and masks looked truly horrifying.
    K E I R

K – E – I - R

Why can't PBers spell the Loto's name FFS?
    edited June 2020
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Boris needs to absolutely nail him to the wall on this tomorrow and force Starmer into an unequivocal stand against all racism, not just racism against black people. Honestly I'm actually pretty mad about this, and usually these things don't bother me.
    Boris problem attacking on this is his long laundry list of insensitive stuff he wrote in the past. I imagine PMQ is going to be very tricky for Boris as it doesn't take a lawyer to dig out a load of those comments and paint him as a racist.

K E I R

K – E – I - R

I'm 98% sure it is intentional at this point. And it really should be Sir Keir. ;)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Brazil to Britain.

Only Brazil to Britain? If they're doing it alphabetically that's only Brazil and Britain.....
    edited June 2020

I think it was Orwell who said that severing a people from its history is an absolutely key cornerstone for the erection of a communist state.

Year zero, and all that
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

K E I R

K – E – I - R

Probably because we don't Kier that much

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    Boris problem attacking on this is his long laundry list of insensitive stuff he wrote in the past. I imagine PMQ is going to be very tricky for Boris as it doesn't take a lawyer to dig out a load of those comments and paint him as a racist.
    After yesterday's barnstorming speech I know just the woman for the job...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Mr Duns has stuck his head above the parapet with predictable results.....

https://twitter.com/JeremyDuns/status/1270292119001972738?s=20

Agreed, but is it real? Some people might just be relieved not to see Corbyn there and will be inclined to be positive, especially if they are remainers, as you say. Votes, though? I don't know about that.

He'll eventually have to say more about what he'd do rather than picking holes in what the government is doing, which is where it gets more difficult.

I would have gone and campaigned against Corbyn (assuming I was in the UK, of course). I despised the man, and all he stood for.

I am not in any hurry to vote Starmer. But could I? Yes, absolutely. There's nothing about him that would trouble my conscience. And if I didn't like any of the other candidates much (say if Claire-Louise Leyland or David Tredinnick was the alternative), then he's not someone I'd actively vote against.

Brazil to Britain.

Only Brazil to Britain? If they're doing it alphabetically that's only Brazil and Britain.....
    Those are the two bastions of authoritarian right wing governments, aren't they?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    RobD said:

Brazil to Britain.

Those are the two bastions of authoritarian right wing governments, aren't they?
    Could have gone on to Brunei -missed a trick
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    rcs1000 said:

I would have gone and campaigned against Corbyn (assuming I was in the UK, of course). I despised the man, and all he stood for.

I am not in any hurry to vote Starmer. But could I? Yes, absolutely. There's nothing about him that would trouble my conscience. And if I didn't like any of the other candidates much (say if Claire-Louise Leyland or David Tredinnick was the alternative), then he's not someone I'd actively vote against.
    That's the trouble, "Theres nothing about him". You could stick him on a plinth in the middle of Bristol and no-one would notice.

Pulpstar said:

The horror !
    For the most part they are conveniently inacurate, as it would seem are ours.
    Typically we play by the rules ..other countries have no such scruples.

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    I think a helpful question from someone like Javid (though I'm not sure how many favours he will be willing to give Boris) on whether he agrees with Starmer that the government stands against only racism against black people or against racism across the board.
    edited June 2020

Maybe some don't like being killed by policemen?
    In the UK? There are thankfully very few instances of the police killing people full stop, and since the case of Stephen Lawrence 27 years ago, the police have undergone a lot of reform. Jean Charles de Menezes is obviously the one where the police actions are seriously questionable.

We aren't the US, gunning down a 1000 members of the public a year.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    I'm still of the view that most people are barely aware of Starmer.

Even in polling, which tends to be full of political obsessives, Starmer's ratings have a significant "don't know" percentage.

At the moment I'm taking leader ratings with a huge dose of salt.
    Brom said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    After yesterday's barnstorming speech I know just the woman for the job...
    It was a barnstormin' speech. But one speech does not a party leader make!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Marxism...

It's a bit like being green - why is it necessary to come with so much anti capitalist stuff? It isn't in other countries.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,775

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Oh, I'm sure he's made several. Legions of errors.

Another fairly large one was not following the advice of @MaxPB over Cummings and taking the high road of appealing to people to follow government Coronavirus advice regardless of the failure of government advisers to do the same. He preferred to restrict himself to blaming the government for that consequence then to try to prevent it.

K E I R

K – E – I - R

We collectively apologise to you and Lord Keith, the LOTO

Marxism...

At least they are honest about only worrying about the wrong kind of authoritarian.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Trump -11 approval ......... with Rasmussen (44-55)

All historical here:
    https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

edited June 2020
    kle4 said:

Marxism...

It's a bit like being green - why is it necessary to come with so much anti capitalist stuff? It isn't in other countries.
    It isn't everybody, but the organizers. You don't have to look that hard to find that the eco-fascists lot have a very long history of far left extremism. What they have found is a cause that have wider public support and can use that agenda to promote their wider vision.

And shock horror, you read an article by one of the founders and it is again all British Empire, white-supremacy, patriacrchy, class stuff.

Extinction Rebellion isn’t about the Climate

https://medium.com/extinction-rebellion/extinction-rebellion-isnt-about-the-climate-42a0a73d9d49
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,235
    edited June 2020
    I wonder what the Right's reaction will be when Boris 'takes the knee' (as I reckon he will).

I wonder the Right's reaction will be when Boris 'takes the knee' (as I reckon he will).
    Starmer's got his knee in first. A big power play in the virtue games.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    I think a helpful question from someone like Javid (though I'm not sure how many favours he will be willing to give Boris) on whether he agrees with Starmer that the government stands against only racism against black people or against racism across the board.
    I think it would be wiser and less risky not to overplay it. Corbyn had a litany of past unsavoury associations to anchor that kind of attack, Wheras as some have said here its Starmers first mistake.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Marxism...

fire up the Well quite klaxon
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

K E I R

K – E – I - R

We collectively apologise to you and Lord Keith, the LOTO
    Sir Keira Knightly, please!

I wonder what the Right's reaction will be when Boris 'takes the knee' (as I reckon he will).
    Oh he will
    So anyway - I just wanted to post up a suggested answer to the burning question of the last few days regarding statues - the famous "where do we draw the line?"

There can be no single answer to this since people will have different takes on it (as we have seen). Therefore we need a template and I think the following works.

Category 1 - Statues we are utterly repulsed by and we applaud "the mob" pulling them down whilst accepting that charges should probably follow since after all the law is the law.

Category 2 - Statues we would quite like to see the back of but not so much as to applaud "the mob" pulling them down and charges really ought to follow because, you know, the law is the law.

Category 3 - Statues we are fine with and if "the mob" were to pull them down we would condemn it - the action and the mob - and be calling out for charges asap because we simply cannot tolerate this sort of thing.

Category 4 - Statues we love and mean a great deal to us whereby if "the mob" were to pull them down we would be looking to form a mob of our own to give the mob a taste of what's coming to them.

Category 5 - Churchill.

:smile:
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

I genuinely fear he might not be able to get back up again if he does.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,884

They'll love it. Tories are right into identity politics these days.
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

His first real mistake?

we shall see.
    Na, it's fluff.
    I think it would be wiser and less risky not to overplay it. Corbyn had a litany of past unsavoury associations to anchor that kind of attack, Wheras as some have said here its Starmers first mistake.
    Tbh, the best attack would be to challenge Asian and Jewish Labour MPs to distance themselves from this statement.
This discussion has been closed.