Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My poll finding of the Year – the massive gap between perce

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My poll finding of the Year – the massive gap between perception and reality over the nature of the UK

Yesterday morning I posted the above Ipsos-MORI chart which within a few hours became something of a Twitter sensation. By early afternoon it made me the most referred to Tweeter in the UK and it continues to have a big impact.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe it's time to start teaching children a few facts and figures again.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Is any politician brave enough to start telling the public some facts. Teen pregnancy is another one that the public is always wildly wrong about. It's lower than it's been for decades and yet the public are convinced it is rising.
  • Options
    I was so tempted to ask yesterday

Why is Mike Smithson trending? *Innocent Face*
  • Options
    There's so many misconceptions in politics, politicians don't have the time to correct them all, it is easier for them to exploit these mis-conceptions.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

First

Are you - or is it just a misguided perception...?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I think these data are themselves misleading.

For one, the median is more accurate: http://imgur.com/RVfVRl5

Additionally that still doesn't take account of outliers, some of which are ridiculous. Maybe people think that, maybe they don't: such as the 8% of people who thought that more than 50% of people were unemployed or the 5% of people who think that more than 50% of people are Muslim.

If you consider that "unemployment" in the ONS definition - actively seeking a job and available for work - doesn't align with the everyday meaning, that closes further. Some difference remain, but not as significant.
  • Options
    Looks like a stupid survey. Only the Over65s can be accurately measured. The others are all self-identified.

The religious ones are meaningless nonsense. For this survey, am I Christian if I tick that box with a vague theory that it helps my insurance premiums, and because I go to church every Christmas? Or is there some Jesusness threshold to achieve before this survey gives you that badge?

Unemployed is just a comparison of bodged govt statistics against you suspecting that the builder next door is also signing on.

Ditto the coke-fiend whore across the road with the string of dealer boyfriends whose daughter is being cared for around the clock by the nice Asian men in that spare room above the local taxi firm ... does she make the survey criteria as a 'single mother' just because she's claiming the benefits?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    The two figures that stood out to me are the figures for single parents and Christian, but I wonder if there is an issue with the definitions.

I presume that single parent means a parent that exclusively brings up a child, but I wonder if most people have a broader definition, and Christian what does that mean? It could run from celebrates Christmas and Easter, through to attends church every Sunday.

Interesting question about the famous Thatcher "no such thing as society" quote, as I've said before when you see the context of the conversation that quote came from it has an entirely different meaning, and one that has very considerable support.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

But that doesn't (and you don't) address my main concern and that's our "very Labour leaning civil servant" thinking that he has an active and colluding role to play in your LD policy tweaking sessions. He is there to impartially follow instructions from his elected political masters. Nobody should know his politics, let alone him wear them as a badge of honour.

Imagine the speed that tickets would be sold on your Outrage Bus if a "very UKIP leaning civil servant" was actively manipulating policy in a LD department? I suspect that you are happy with the situation when it works to your favour but would be aghast if the roles were reversed.

Cheers for your reply (FPT), Geoff. I was really focusing on the comment about Clegg and Alexander, not on the behaviour of the civil servant. I agree that civil servants should set aside their own political views and carry out the instructions of the politicians.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

First

Are you - or is it just a misguided perception...?
    As it's my own perception then it's almost certainly misguided :)

• Options
    Suarez!
  • Options
    Fascinating polling. Just shows that many people are thick, mad or both.

One comment on the previous thread, which made for excellent reading btw and many thanks to everyone who contributed. First time I have read a whole thread for a while.

I was in hospital yesterday and overheard some midwives discussing Scotland. It was an eclectic north London group and they all seemed to believe the 'subsidy myth'. I would have started putting them right and pointing out that Scotland pretty well pays it's way but my wife may have murdered me.

And no, I am not a father yet. The wee bugger changed its mind!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,292
    The christian one very much depends on what is being asked. Accoring to this chart off Wiki those who described themselves of no religion, let alone Christian, exceeded 50% in 2009: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bsa-religion-question.svg

Wiki also notes:
    "The Ipsos MORI poll in 2003 reported that 18% were "a practising member of an organised religion".[40] The Tearfund Survey in 2007 found that only 7% of the population considered themselves as practising Christians. Ten per cent attend church weekly and two-thirds had not gone to church in the past year.[47][50] The Tearfund Survey also found that two thirds of UK adults (66%) or 32.2 million people have no connection with the Church at present (nor with another religion). These people were evenly divided between those who have been in the past but have since left (16 million) and those who have never been in their lives (16.2 million)."

About 6% go to church regularly.

What was that about lies, damned lies and statistics?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I'd second the view that these figures seem largely malleable.

Take Black/Asian. Hamilton and Obama are usually talked of (even by themselves) as being black, but both have a black and a white parent. What if someone has a Japanese and a black parent?

However, it's still fair to say there would appear to be a substantial dividing line between widespread perception and actual reality. It's almost as vast as the gaping hole between the Lib Dems' desire to join the euro and economic sense :p
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In addition 77.8% of those between 16 and 64 are economically active: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=LF22&dataset=lms&table-id=12 (edit, a record by the way. All praise George)

That presumably means that 22.2% are not. Are they not one definition of unemployed?

Seems to me that public perception is, on that measure, absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    GeoffM said:

Unemployed is just a comparison of bodged govt statistics against you suspecting that the builder next door is also signing on.

Ditto the coke-fiend whore across the road with the string of dealer boyfriends whose daughter is being cared for around the clock by the nice Asian men in that spare room above the local taxi firm ... does she make the survey criteria as a 'single mother' just because she's claiming the benefits?

Regarding unemployment, I always find it's easier to look at the Labor Participation Rate from the World Bank (see http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SL.TLF.CACT.ZS/countries?page=4&order=wbapi_data_value_2011 wbapi_data_value wbapi_data_value-last&sort=asc). Simply put, it is easier to measure employed people than unemployed people.

And here, you will find that between 1991 and 2011 (the last year for which data was available) there was essentially no difference in employment rate. 62% of people above the age of 15 have jobs. Which, when one eliminates people in education, the retired, and those looking after children, looks about right.

So: while you can go for the government is lying about the economy, crime, etc. line, it's worth noting that when the data is collected by other organisations, they come to very similar conclusions. Whatever you suspect about the coke dealing guy, he is in a very, very small minority.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    It only shows that most people aren't statisticians. If people are guessing that 24% of the population are Muslims, I think what they're really saying is " a lot."

The figures for unemployed and Christian aren't necessarily wrong, as both terms can be defined in several different ways.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    How long does it take to bury someone in South Africa..sheesh
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In addition 77.8% of those between 16 and 64 are economically active: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=LF22&dataset=lms&table-id=12 (edit, a record by the way. All praise George)

That presumably means that 22.2% are not. Are they not one definition of unemployed?

Well, is someone at university unemployed? Or someone who us 62 and taken early retirement? Or someone who has just had a child?

Over time, economic activity (as a % of the population) has tended to rise, simply because women no longer give up work the moment they get married / have children any more.
  • Options
    spurs do it again...
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Chris Cook on grammars (£): My FT blogs analytics page is like a spider sense for people talking about grammar schools: http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2013/01/28/grammar-school-myths/
  • Options
    re grammar schools, I think we all forget that they weren't that popular with the 75% of parents whose kids did not get in...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Well, is someone at university unemployed? Or someone who us 62 and taken early retirement? Or someone who has just had a child?

Over time, economic activity (as a % of the population) has tended to rise, simply because women no longer give up work the moment they get married / have children any more.
    In my experience pretty much everyone who is at university now is very much employed, often with more than 1 job. Some of us are old enough to remember the halcylon days of grants but these days...

And yes, on one definition a person who is no longer working is unemployed. He or she may not be looking for work but they are still unemployed.

I have a feeling I am being a kill joy about this so I am going to stop now and get back to my work.

• Options
    Hmm.... this looks like another embarrasment... tim - you were wrong again (sadly)....
  • Options
    @Carola

It's very rare that something comes along that changes one's mind: that FT piece has changed mine. I'm genuinely shocked at how much worse 'free school meal' kids do in the grammar school areas.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Carola

It's very rare that something comes along that changes one's mind: that FT piece has changed mine. I'm genuinely shocked at how much worse 'free school meal' kids do in the grammar school areas.

Chris Cook is tops. I'm hoping now he's moved to Newsnight there may be more in-depth/accurate analysis of ed issues. Most of what you see/read is ill-informed bunkum; including on here unfortunately.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So: while you can go for the government is lying about the economy, crime, etc. line, it's worth noting that when the data is collected by other organisations, they come to very similar conclusions. Whatever you suspect about the coke dealing guy, he is in a very, very small minority.

Ah, no; it may have been casual phrasing on my part but I was careful to avoid the word "lying". The movement of individuals between different claimant categories has happened under every government ever and everywhere.

The builder next door could be doing exactly the same thing year on year and yet appear and disappear from the official figures on a six monthly basis depending on the whims or rosette of the minister of the day.

As for the single mother example; you say that she is a tiny minority. Agreed, but even when there is only one on an estate everyone knows about the regular fights and police raids. So perception of the issue indeed outweighs the hard statistics. But that wasn't my point - it was ask how/if she fits into the statistics ... and therefore my suggestion that the statistics are too misleading and subjective to have any meaning.

The wider point is that you can count the "real" figures in that survey a hundred different ways and get a hundred different "real" values. If you take issue with any of my specific examples then just consider the broad definition of Christians. That's easiest to show as a really weak part in the survey.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

The wider point is that you can count the "real" figures in that survey a hundred different ways and get a hundred different "real" values. If you take issue with any of my specific examples then just consider the broad definition of Christians. That's easiest to show as a really weak part in the survey.

Re Christianity, surely this is a standard thing with religion - i.e. people identify culturally with a religion, without being 'fully paid up' members. I have a colleague, for example, who if you ask him "what religion are you?" would say "Muslim". If you asked him "do you believe in god?", he's "don't be so bloody stupid, of course I don't".

I have comfortable more atheist Jewish friends, than true believer ones. And they all have Friday night supper with their parents.

Presumably, the 60% of people who are 'Christians' are people who self identify as Christians. That may not be good enough for you, but it as at least easy to measures.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Re Christianity, surely this is a standard thing with religion - i.e. people identify culturally with a religion, without being 'fully paid up' members. I have a colleague, for example, who if you ask him "what religion are you?" would say "Muslim". If you asked him "do you believe in god?", he's "don't be so bloody stupid, of course I don't".

I have comfortable more atheist Jewish friends, than true believer ones. And they all have Friday night supper with their parents.

Presumably, the 60% of people who are 'Christians' are people who self identify as Christians. That may not be good enough for you, but it as at least easy to measures.
    Agree with all of that, and it *is* good enough for me. However it is not good enough for this survey to be taken seriously.

Actually on a personal level the majority of my Jewish friends are observant rather than atheist, but that comes I guess from living in a Jewish area. My house has, as a reminder of the previous occupants, timers on the light switches and a split kosher/non-kosher kitchen for example.

All interesting, and many thanks for your replies. I can't see anything useful from this survey but at least it's diluted the Scotlandery for a few hours.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The Muslim and Black/Asian are interesting. If you go to deepest shires, you are bound to hear things like, "you cannot walk the streets because of those blacks" when there isn't one probably in a radius of 15 miles.

The same goes for crime figures.
  • Options
    Paging SO....

Wretched against the top 1/2 teams. Still there's always the League Cup....
  • Options
    I have a colleague, for example, who if you ask him "what religion are you?" would say "Muslim". If you asked him "do you believe in god?", he's "don't be so bloody stupid, of course I don't".

Actually, many Muslims probably would answer Yes to the second question but do not pray , for example. A good percentage also drink alcohol.

But most are "culturally" Muslim. That applies even more so with Jews. They are less religious but still Jewish !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The Muslim and Black/Asian are interesting. If you go to deepest shires, you are bound to hear things like, "you cannot walk the streets because of those blacks" when there isn't one probably in a radius of 15 miles.

What Shires are you talking about?
  • Options
    I am slightly surprsed about the 3% Single parents. If 100% is the population, then married parents also would be a minority. What percentage of households is a Single aprent household is a more relevant question. I would say 10%.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @Surbiton

Lots of people identify as religious despite being entirely atheist. I think, however, that this is trend is on the a wane. i discovered that my wife had ticked the CoE box on the census form in 2001, as she was brought up CoE and went to a CoE school. I asked her why and her friend also said she'd done the same. Neither believe in God. In 2011, both ticked None when asked what their religion was.
  • Options

Paging SO....

Paging SO....

Commiserations Scrapheap. I was rooting for Spurs, purely because I can't stand Suarez. Glad I didn't take the 6/4 though – I almost did.
  • Options

surbiton said:

In my experience a lot of areas outside London are like that. It is one of those bumpkin attitudes that feeds into the the hatred of London – a rich, self-important, permissive leftie paradise that is full of immigrants and foreigners.
  • Options
    We want 6.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2013
    Scrapheap/Southam you may wish to skip over this post.

Is this a good time to mention that Spurs' scouts didn't think Suarez wasn't good enough, so Liverpool signed him instead in 2011.

Thank your Spurs Scouts.

Also, Luis Suarez has scored 17 premier league goals this season, and Spurs have scored 15 league goals all season? And Super Luis missed the first five league matches of this season.

Also AVB next out surely?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    Our goal difference is now the same as West Broms.....

Uh oh AVB....

oops a 5th, it's now worse than West Broms
  • Options
    Ken Early @kenearlys

suarez is possibly the most entertaining footballer i've ever seen. he's what you'd get if you crossed roy keane and freddie mercury
  • Options
    Wow, what a great time to be a Liverpool and Southampton fan! And Saints' next game is at home against Spurs - I was just about to say it's a great time to be playing Spurs but maybe they'll benefit from a new manager bounce. I fear for AVB's future...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I am slightly surprsed about the 3% Single parents. If 100% is the population, then married parents also would be a minority. What percentage of households is a Single aprent household is a more relevant question. I would say 10%.

Well, I guess you can eliminate almost all people over the age of 50 as by then children would be grown up. You can also eliminate practically all men. And everyone who's not yet had a child.

When you take all these out, we probably end up saying that approx 1-in-8 women with children aged 0 to 16 are 'single parents'.
  • Options

Ken Early @kenearlys

suarez is possibly the most entertaining footballer i've ever seen. he's what you'd get if you crossed roy keane and freddie mercury

Dracula is there somewhere.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

In my experience a lot of areas outside London are like that. It is one of those bumpkin attitudes that feeds into the the hatred of London – a rich, self-important, permissive leftie paradise that is full of immigrants and foreigners.

"In my experience a lot of areas outside London are like that. It is one of those bumpkin attitudes that feeds into the the hatred of London."

Really? A lot of areas?
    You don't get out of London much, do you? I live in about as deep a Shire as you can get, you and poor old Surby would probably have a panic attack just driving through my village. I never experience the kind of ignorant, stereotypical bigotry that you and Surbs are displaying tonight.

"Unspoofable" is the term, I believe?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ken Early @kenearlys

Dracula is there somewhere.
    Surely if you're looking for a captain who is willing to chew his fellow professionals out, Suarez is your man.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

"In my experience a lot of areas outside London are like that. It is one of those bumpkin attitudes that feeds into the the hatred of London."

Really? A lot of areas?
    You don't get out of London much, do you? I live in about as deep a Shire as you can get, you and poor old Surby would probably have a panic attack just driving through my village. I never experience the kind of ignorant, stereotypical bigotry that you and Surbs are displaying tonight.

Where do you live? Everywhere is different. I am not saying all shires are like that.

I do get out of London, very often.
  • Options
    I'd place most of the blame for the mis-perception in the above chart wholly on TV. Those perceptions reflect pretty clearly the BBCs social agenda, aided and abetted by ITV and C4.

• Options
    According to the ComRes poll details [ page 18 ], 44% of current UKIP supporters think of themselves as UKIP , 24% Conservative, 13% Labour, and 2% Lib Deb.

In total , 7% of the voting populatiion think of themselves as UKIP. This is the base level now.
  • Options

Scrapheap/Southam you may wish to skip over this post.

Is this a good time to mention that Spurs' scouts didn't think Suarez wasn't good enough, so Liverpool signed him instead in 2011.

Thank your Spurs Scouts.

Also, Luis Suarez has scored 17 premier league goals this season, and Spurs have scored 15 league goals all season? And Super Luis missed the first five league matches of this season.

Also AVB next out surely?

They would have had a good goal scorer but they would also have had a racist cheat, who single handidly wrecked the world cup by keeping Ghana out of the semi*

*see what I did there - puns aplenty
  • Options

Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

Really? A lot of areas?

As someone who is both Asian and Muslim*, and has, and does live in the Shires, I'd like to let Surby and Bobajob know, in this part of the world, we aren't like that, we're not fox hunting toffs.

We like to hunt Labour supporters.

*A very bad Muslim

NB - I did once answer a survey asking if I'd be concerned if an ethnic minority or Muslim family moved in next door, I did say yes.
  • Options

I'd place most of the blame for the mis-perception in the above chart wholly on TV. Those perceptions reflect pretty clearly the BBCs social agenda, aided and abetted by ITV and C4.

The BBC's goal is to increase the UKIP vote?
  • Options

Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

Really? A lot of areas?

As someone who is both Asian and Muslim*, and has, and does live in the Shires, I'd like to let Surby and Bobajob know, in this part of the world, we aren't like that, we're not fox hunting toffs.

*A very bad Muslim

NB - I did once answer a survey asking if I'd be concerned if an ethnic minority or Muslim family moved in next door, I did say yes.
    :) don't you live in, erm, Sheffield??

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes when a Spurs fan... you know what's coming before it happens...

Scrapheap_as_was • Posts: 999
    11:41AM
    The last time English cricket had such a bad Sunday, Spurs managed to lose 6-0 to a team competing with them for Champs League positions...
    Oh gawd....

Scrapheap_as_was • Posts: 1,000
    3:13PM
    Scrapheap_as_was said:

Oh no, only Dawson as recognised CB..... against Suarez...
  • Options
    I did say AVB could be gone by Xmas a couple of months back. I'd say it's almost certain now. Not sure who'll they'll bring in, but the gravel voiced Portuguese will soon be swimming with the fishes.
  • Options
    @TSE
    "As someone who is both Asian and Muslim*, and has, and does live in the Shires,"

"NB - I did once answer a survey asking if I'd be concerned if an ethnic minority or Muslim family moved in next door, I did say yes."

---------------

Your Conservative Party membership is safe !
  • Options
    Nice that the Mackem Messi, Jordan Henderson is getting the praise he so richly deserves.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

Really? A lot of areas?

*A very bad Muslim

It is not even deepest Yorkshire !
  • Options

I did say AVB could be gone by Xmas a couple of months back. I'd say it's almost certain now. Not sure who'll they'll bring in, but the gravel voiced Portuguese will soon be swimming with the fishes.

I agree now - 11-0 vs Man C and Liverpool against our supposed 'peers'
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    surbiton said:

Correlation or causation?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

Really? A lot of areas?

*A very bad Muslim

I live in Dore, tis the Shires.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    Good Evening. OT. I said it on twitter yesterday and I'll repeat myself here: If the IpsosMORI graph was relying on government statistics, then I wouldn't pay too much attention as to it's veracity. These statistics have proven totally wrong some cases and woefully out of kilter in a majority of other cases; sometimes figure are out by more 50%, some, hundreds of percentage points out, re the immigration statistics put out by this government and of course the last three Labour governments.
  • Options
    We love AVB - He was responsible for the sacking of Dalglish, we dodged a bullet

Andre-Villas Boas talks prompted Liverpool decision to sack Kenny Dalglish

FORMER Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has reportedly held talks with Liverpool over replacing sacked boss Kenny Dalglish at Anfield.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/320709/Andre-Villas-Boas-talks-prompted-Liverpool-decision-to-sack-Kenny-Dalglish
  • Options

I agree now - 11-0 vs Man C and Liverpool against our supposed 'peers'
    Look on the bright side, you're only 5 points from a champs league spot.
  • Options
    Peter O'Toole has died.

Loved him in Lawrence of Arabia.
  • Options

Peter O'Toole has died.

He was real old school, not many of his ilk left.

• Options
    I'd bet on AVB to be next out but it might be a deadheat with Big Sam before Spurs play Spanners on Wednesday....
  • Options

Peter O'Toole has died.

They've all drunk themselves to death.

• Options
    @TSE

Dore is in Sheffield!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited December 2013
    Bobajob said:

@TSE

Dore is in Sheffield!

A few decades ago it was in Derbyshire.
  • Options
    On a brighter note, I had a night out in Wakefield last night. Superb beer; great part of the country. I could happily live up there. And it's true: Northerners are friendlier.
  • Options
    That there is such a distorted view of the make-up of the UK has a massive political impact because many politicians and the media respond to perceptions not to reality. It becomes very hard to argue against what many see as “facts” which are widely believed but simply are wrong.
    And because the politicians are too scared of the tabloids to correct these non-facts, people's mistaken beliefs are confirmed.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MikeK

Agree,where did the figures come from & can they be trusted.

BBC News - Police fix crime statistics to meet targets, MPs told
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25002927‎

• Options

Bobajob said:

@TSE

Dore is in Sheffield!

A few decades ago it was in Derbyshire.
    That was in 1934.
  • Options
    I'm off - this is a great tweet though...

Join the debate at #bbcfootball
    Nick Wheeler: Worst Spurs performance for at least two weeks. Awful, just awful.
  • Options

On a brighter note, I had a night out in Wakefield last night. Superb beer; great part of the country. I could happily live up there. And it's true: Northerners are friendlier.

There's a great Michael McIntyre sketch about northerners complaining that no-one says hello to you on the Tube. It ends with McIntyre walking along the platform and saying hello to a thousand people.
  • Options
    The SPOTY countdown continues. Will I be £5000 richer at 10pm?

I've got just £69 at risk
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:

Good Evening. OT. I said it on twitter yesterday and I'll repeat myself here: If the IpsosMORI graph was relying on government statistics, then I wouldn't pay too much attention as to it's veracity. These statistics have proven totally wrong some cases and woefully out of kilter in a majority of other cases; sometimes figure are out by more 50%, some, hundreds of percentage points out, re the immigration statistics put out by this government and of course the last three Labour governments.

Want to believe only those statistics which reinforce your prejudices?

• Options
    perdix said:

MikeK said:

Want to believe only those statistics which reinforce your prejudices?

Dont we all?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @perdix

'Want to believe only those statistics which reinforce your prejudices?'

How many times was that being said about crime statistics not being the reality on the ground,then we find out the police were fiddling the statistics.
  • Options
    @MikeK
    What a ridiculous statement about official statistics. Time, even at your age, that you grew up.
  • Options
    Some of the poll's findings reflect the public answering different questions from the ones posed. The public seem to treat "Christian" to mean practising Christians. Similarly, the finding about benefit fraud seems to reflect the public's view of what should be claimed rather than what legally may be claimed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Entertaining subsample in marginal-rich West Mids ComRes, according to GENERALELECTION@UKELECTIONS2015:

LABOUR 34% UKIP 30% CONSERVATIVES 28% LIBDEMS 5% GREENS 1%

Sampling Dec 11-13. Figures overall for England and Wales 36/20/30/8/4.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

@MikeK
    What a ridiculous statement about official statistics. Time, even at your age, that you grew up.

It's being slightly ridiculous that keeps me young. Just think on this Mike. Statistics for the NHS have been wrong for years and continue to be wrong. A huge new computerised Data base was promised to remedy this but never materialised thanks to the inept company and technicians doing the job. Now the same is happening with IDS's W&P dept. I wouldn't trust the NHS with my life, how about you?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    @NickPalmer

Wow. People are losing their tribal affiliation. Could be some seismic changes on the way.
  • Options
    New German government....breakdown by parties

CDU get Home Office, Finance, Defence, Education and Health
    CSU have Agricolture, Transports, Economic Cooperation & Development
    SPD get Foreign Affairs, Economy & Energy, Labour & Social Affairs, Justice, Family and Environment
  • Options

The SPOTY countdown continues. Will I be £5000 richer at 10pm?

I've got just £69 at risk

However, good luck to you on that.

• Options
    MikeK said:

@MikeK

It's being slightly ridiculous that keeps me young. Just think on this Mike. Statistics for the NHS have been wrong for years and continue to be wrong. A huge new computerised Data base was promised to remedy this but never materialised thanks to the inept company and technicians doing the job. Now the same is happening with IDS's W&P dept. I wouldn't trust the NHS with my life, how about you?
    I have trusted the NHS with my life on two occasions in the past 18 years when the skill and commitment of clinicians prevented me from having a premature death. Some of those clinicians were what you would describe as immigrants.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    On topic

I can't say I'm surprised by any of Ipsos-MORI's findings.

A wide schism between perception and reality identifies British culture.

That is why there remain a few, even on PB, who believe Ed Miliband will become PM in 2015.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

On topic

I can't say I'm surprised by any of Ipsos-MORI's findings.

A wide schism between perception and reality identifies British culture.

That is why there remain a few, even on PB, who believe Ed Miliband will become PM in 2015.

And those that believe crossover will occur by Christmas. I guess time will tell, Seth.
  • Options

Peter O'Toole has died.

They've all drunk themselves to death.

He once said something like the only exercise he got was walking behind the coffins of his friends. Or maybe it was people who had exercised, thinking about it, as I typed that.
  • Options

MikeK said:

@MikeK

I have trusted the NHS with my life on two occasions in the past 18 years when the skill and commitment of clinicians prevented me from having a premature death. Some of those clinicians were what you would describe as immigrants.
    Im sorry thats pretty weak. It neither shows us that the NHS is good at what it does or pretty poor, or whether immigration is good or bad.

It's the equivalent of stating we had a really hot summer last year, therefore its obvious global warming is happening, or it was a white christmas, therefore it cant possibly be happening.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oh shite if true.... actually it can't be, too soon surely...

Simon Johnson @FootballAgent31
    Fabio Capello has been hired as the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur with immediate effect. Club statement incoming. #thfc
    Retweeted by John Mullin
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Bobajob said:

surbiton said:

Hmm, absolute rubbish.

My experience is nothing like that - I have lived both in London and various places outside.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    crap post
  • Options

Oh shite if true.... actually it can't be, too soon surely...

Simon Johnson @FootballAgent31
    Fabio Capello has been hired as the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur with immediate effect. Club statement incoming. #thfc
    Retweeted by John Mullin

Do Managers really regret being sacked ? They always make a pot each time they are sacked. Some has made careers out of being sacked. Mark Hughes, Sam Allardice haven't done too badly !
  • Options

New German government....breakdown by parties

CDU get Home Office, Finance, Defence, Education and Health
    CSU have Agricolture, Transports, Economic Cooperation & Development
    SPD get Foreign Affairs, Economy & Energy, Labour & Social Affairs, Justice, Family and Environment

The Junior partner always loses. CSU really is the CDU of Bavaria. Only Willy Brandt in 1970 bucked the trend.

• Options
    Ooooh - Strictly racism?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    What problems are supposedly caused by immigration? Facts please!
This discussion has been closed.