Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Submission or No Deal: where do the Brexit talks end up this y

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Submission or No Deal: where do the Brexit talks end up this year?

If it was going to happen, it would have done so months ago. Confirmation yesterday that Britain would not exercise its right to request an extension to the Brexit transition period was one of the more predictable events of 2020. Despite the ravages wreaked on the UK economy by the Covid-19 pandemic and the shutdown it necessitated, the danger of a No-FTA exit creating yet more barriers to trade and growth was always one the government was going to accept.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,381
    OT hate the symmetrical diagonals on the flag. Why do graphic designers do that?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Again this goes back to David Cameron not forcing the Brexiteers to identify and agree upon the end-state of the Brexit process.

In political terms, yes, Covid-19 provides a good pandemic to bury bad Brexit news, and Boris has recruited the leading Brexiteer MPs into his Cabinet so it is unlikely any protests about the wrong sort of Brexits will extend beyond fringe players, and now Nigel Farage has contrived to lose his media platform.

Economic damage? Surely no Conservative believes Project Fear, the economic projections formerly known as Conservative Party policy.

And it is, sadly, unsurprising that Boris scrapped the Cabinet's pandemic committee last year in order to spend more time on Brexit. What could possibly go wrong?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8416075/Boris-Johnson-scrapped-Cabinet-Ministers-pandemic-team-six-months-coronavirus-hit-Britain.html
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,714
    edited June 2020
    It's clear what a deal would like on the most contentious points. Zero tariff, zero quota access to the SIngle Market for goods (including fish and other agri produce) in exchange for EU access to UK fishing grounds that is a bit less than now and the UK maintaining level playing field obligations that are the same as now, including most controversially on State Aid.

There's not a lot of point in arguing over the basic content of the deal, although people will. (Detail does matter). Question is whether both sides will accept it.

People are only just beginning to realise just how bureaucratic Brexit will be. Arguably bureaucracy is the whole point of Brexit. It's "taking control" made flesh. It does mean some people will in practice be prevented from doing things that they took for granted before and companies will give up on chunks of business they used to do because it will be too difficult or too expensive.

Covid-19 compounded with Brexit makes for a grim economic context. We're not talking about growth foregone any more.

One thing I am sure of is this won't be end of the long Brexit process. Even if it goes No Deal in December, the UK never having an agreement with the EU on anything at all, ever, is unrealistic in my view. In which case State Aid etc will come back onto the table. And if we do agree a deal we can look forward to years of further negotiation on things that are essential to the UK.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    edited June 2020
    Good to see an article exploring the technique of ending with a QTWTAIN.

It is a shame that Boris has been spending his political capital faster than Rishi has been spending printed £.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The question is what does Boris have against Britain to put it through this s on top of everything else.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, the referendum said Leave and Boris was elected with a clear mandate to get us out after May prevaricated and paid the price.

Any talk that Brexit may not happen is utter bollox.

But I'm beginning to realise that some on here aren't too fussed about democracy.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Worth it? No.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Tories have fucked up a sensible Brexit
    Tories have fucked up the economy
    Tories have fucked up Covid 19 and left us with the most per capita pandemic deaths of any major Nation

Still lead 43% to 38% though.

• Options

Tories have fucked up Covid 19 and left us with the most per capita pandemic deaths of any major Nation

The 4th sentence suggests the first 3 aren't entirely true
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

What does that say about how rubbish Labour have been BJO?

It is worth remembering that no government had ever increased its majority after more than eight years in power before.

And yet somehow this abject excuse for a government did.
  • Options

Labour members have a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    coach said:

Or that people aren't yet aware of 3. Aren't yet impacted by 2 and dont care about 1
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    coach said:

Disagree. They are all statements of fact.

The fourth sentence merely suggests other factors are at play.

Edit - although that said, we can’t be sure of the third one yet. And it will take time before we have reliable statistics that tell us who comes where in this grim table.

But on the information we have, it’s a reasonable statement. We’ve certainly suffered very badly when we had every advantage of geography.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Especially those that sabotaged 2017
  • Options

coach said:

Or that people aren't yet aware of 3. Aren't yet impacted by 2 and dont care about 1
    Did Brown cause the 2008 global crisis? Yes/no

Did Boris cause the 2020 global crisis? Yes/no

See where this is leading?
  • Options
    coach said:

coach said:

Indeed
  • Options
    coach said:

coach said:

Easy answer to both. No.

Did their incompetence and hubris make matters a hundred times worse when the crisis hit? As the great Ed Miliband would say, ‘Hell, yes.’
  • Options

coach said:

coach said:

Indeed
    So your original post was a bit silly really
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Indeed. That would still be Corbyn, Formby, Abbott, Macdonnell, Murphy and Milne. They’re the incompetent clowns who ran on an uncosted manifesto that nobody took seriously while pretending they weren’t racist. So I’m 100% with you there.
  • Options

coach said:

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, the referendum said Leave and Boris was elected with a clear mandate to get us out after May prevaricated and paid the price.

But I'm beginning to realise that some on here aren't too fussed about democracy.

That's not the case, Mr C. We suspect that we are living through, if not the end of 'democracy', a time when the process has become corrupted. It's easy, and understandable, to say the public was 'informed' before they voted, but with majority of the popular media being against the EU, and in many cases quite prepared to publish blatant untruths...... straight bananas anyone ....... many of us are concerned that, as the saying goes, the country is going to hell in a handcart.

And we're worried. In my case, I don't suppose it'll make an enormous difference but I have grandchildren who are young people in this country, and what does it hold for them?
    I grew up in the 50's, in the shadow of WWII and in the greyness of those times. I saw, and still see, the European project as providing the opportunities for development and creativity. I don't see Brexit Britain as a land of opportunity, but one hedged about with restrictions. Opportunities for the wealthy perhaps, but not for ordinary people.
    Yes yes yes I've heard it a million times.

And what you have to do now is have another vote and campaign to rejoin and we'll all decide again.

See what I mean about democracy, you're not too keen on it are you?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. That would still be Corbyn, Formby, Abbott, Macdonnell, Murphy and Milne. They’re the incompetent clowns who ran on an uncosted manifesto that nobody took seriously while pretending they weren’t racist. So I’m 100% with you there.
    Formby wasnt in place in 2017 if she had been Labour HQ would not have sabotaged their own party and the aforesaid Corbyn would have been PM and we would have had
    A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy
    and German rates of Covid deaths

The bed sheets are all wet.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Formby wasnt in place in 2017 if she had been Labour HQ would not have sabotages their own party and the aforesaid Corbyn would have been PM and we would have had
    A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy

Is this satire or are you being serious?

Apologies if the joke is on me I'm quite new here

PS I really hope its satirical and you don't believe what you just typed
  • Options
    coach said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Formby wasnt in place in 2017 if she had been Labour HQ would not have sabotages their own party and the aforesaid Corbyn would have been PM and we would have had
    A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy

You are new here
  • Options

coach said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy

You are new here
    In which case I now know its satire and you don't actually believe the tripe you typed.

Apologies
  • Options
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Formby wasnt in place in 2017 if she had been Labour HQ would not have sabotaged their own party and the aforesaid Corbyn would have been PM and we would have had
    A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy

Bridges for sale...

Look, a competent Labour leader could have beaten Theresa May in 2017. (As it happens, that’s not a helpful counterfactual as had a competent Labour leader been in place the election would never have been called, nor would the Tories have run on a hard-right manifesto. But that’s not the point.) Corbyn couldn’t. He was a transparent liar standing on a manifesto that was patently uncosted backed by a shadow cabinet whose members made Gavin Williamson look a model of talent and probity. That he ran May close says a lot about her that she doubtless found unflattering.

And if he were in charge now, things would be worse, not better. Johnson is lazy, but he’s not totally stupid. Corbyn is both. True, the current cabinet is very weak. But does anyone seriously think it’s weaker than a cabinet which would have included Burgon? As for the economy, it would have collapsed by now due to the strains imposed on it by Corbyn’s ideas. Heck, we’re seeing some of them play out with this pandemic, and it isn’t pretty to watch.

The real story of 2019 probably wasn’t the bizarre landslide for a paralysed government of clowns. It was reflecting that with a slightly different approach in 2017 May could have hit 400 seats.

PS - incidentally, Formby was political director of Unite and a member of Labour’s NEC in 2017. She did play a big role in Corbynite politics that was little more than formalised by being general secretary.
  • Options
    NorthCadbollNorthCadboll Posts: 329
    Good Saturday morning piece by David as usual. Assuming we break the last chain from the EU on 31st December with only the most necessary deal (i.e. stopping planes falling out of the sky, EU citizens already here remaining here etc) Boris will have kept his most fundamental promise to the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit.

Many of the industries which hated Brexit with a passion are among those suffering most from Covid-19 anyway and a great many of the threatened job losses will now be lost, not because of Brexit but because Covid-19 will have changed the way we live permanently.

In addition the EU including Germany has borrowed up to the hilt just as we have, in order to cope with Covid-19. No matter what the EU says, individual EU member states will do what is in its best interests. In the case of Malta, Cyprus, Portugal, Greece and Spain that will mean what is needed to keep British people coming on holiday once holidays start once more. For Germany it will be engine parts. For France it will be their farmers.

This is no longer a one-sided negotiation, for anyone who thought it was.

As for Keir Starmer and the leader ratings, he is bound to have good ratings because he is a) not Jeremy Corbyn and b) hasn't had to do anything yet. I would not be surprised if the British public (well the pro Brexit non Metropolitan public) will grow to dislike his slightly robotic personality, much needed for forensic cross-examination but not exactly making someone the life and soul of the party.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, under the radar but well worth a watch if you missed it, this week’s Panorama with the scandal of how a government owned organisation covered up its failings, leading to the suicide, bankruptcy and false imprisonment of entirely innocent people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gpbv/panorama-scandal-at-the-post-office

The government is currently under pressure from all sides to concede a judicial inquiry.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Meanwhile, under the radar but well worth a watch if you missed it, this week’s Panorama with the scandal of how a government owned organisation covered up its failings, leading to the suicide, bankruptcy and false imprisonment of entirely innocent people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gpbv/panorama-scandal-at-the-post-office

The government is currently under pressure from all sides to concede a judicial inquiry.

This really is a disgrace
  • Options

Many of the industries which hated Brexit with a passion are among those suffering most from Covid-19 anyway and a great many of the threatened job losses will now be lost, not because of Brexit but because [of] Covid-19

Well, that’s alright then.....?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    The Rona would have probably killed Corbo if he were PM which would have been a bit of a laugh. We'd probably have JMcD as PM now who would have been way competent than Johnson at managing these multiple overlapping crises.
  • Options

Not in Scotland.

SNP lead 30 points for Westminster VI, and 32 points for Holyrood VI.

Why can Scots see through the charlatan Johnson and his cronies, but the English are caught like bunnies in the headlights?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Yes it's worth it.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The Rona would have probably killed Corbo if he were PM which would have been a bit of a laugh. We'd probably have JMcD as PM now who would have been way competent than Johnson at managing these multiple overlapping crises.

McDonnell is an interesting one. He’s one of two shadow ministers under Corbyn (Starmer being the other, with Thornbury a poor third) who was clearly very bright. He was (is) also one of the few Labour MPs with imagination and could read the public mood with great shrewdness.

But in a sense, that only makes the rubbish he spouted about ‘fully costed manifestoes’ all the more reprehensible.

(I also doubt if he would have become PM, given his illness. Indeed, youwould have expected CV19 to kill him if he were exposed to it. I think he’d have been more likely to nominate somebody to be his puppet, as in effect he did with Corbyn. Maybe Trickett or Lavery.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And how rubbish the Liberal Democrats have been.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    coach said:

coach said:

That's not the case, Mr C. We suspect that we are living through, if not the end of 'democracy', a time when the process has become corrupted. It's easy, and understandable, to say the public was 'informed' before they voted, but with majority of the popular media being against the EU, and in many cases quite prepared to publish blatant untruths...... straight bananas anyone ....... many of us are concerned that, as the saying goes, the country is going to hell in a handcart.

And we're worried. In my case, I don't suppose it'll make an enormous difference but I have grandchildren who are young people in this country, and what does it hold for them?
    I grew up in the 50's, in the shadow of WWII and in the greyness of those times. I saw, and still see, the European project as providing the opportunities for development and creativity. I don't see Brexit Britain as a land of opportunity, but one hedged about with restrictions. Opportunities for the wealthy perhaps, but not for ordinary people.

And what you have to do now is have another vote and campaign to rejoin and we'll all decide again.

Pinhead. This country is not and never has been a direct democracy, and either you have never noticed or you don't mind (because I don't hear you complain on a weekly basis that the government has decided something for itself *again* instead of putting it to a plebiscite). And for good reason; the average voter is as well equipped to decide on complex matters of state as my horse is.

Yebbut dimmocracee innit, you reply. No, it's ochlocracy.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

More top quality satire on here this morning!
  • Options

Not in Scotland.

SNP lead 30 points for Westminster VI, and 32 points for Holyrood VI.

Why can Scots see through the charlatan Johnson and his cronies, but the English are caught like bunnies in the headlights?
    Because Sturgeon is in power. All the advantages of incumbency currently accruing to the Tories accrue to her. This is even helping Drakeford, who goodness knows would be out of his depth running a village shop.

She is playing the game better than the Tories at the moment (admittedly a phrase of mine about limbo dancing mice springs to mind). We none of us know how this will play out in the next twelve months though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

coach said:

Edit - although that said, we can’t be sure of the third one yet. And it will take time before we have reliable statistics that tell us who comes where in this grim table.

But on the information we have, it’s a reasonable statement. We’ve certainly suffered very badly when we had every advantage of geography.
    Every advantage of geography?

We are an interconnected globalised nation with one of the highest rates of urbanisation and population density of major developed nations. That certainly has a role to play.
  • Options
    coach said:

coach said:

Yes

No
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Karl Pearson was a socialist. He declined an OBE. He was a prominent free-thinker. He supported the suffragettes. He admired Karl Marx.

He was a famous applied statistician at University College, London.

He was a eugenicist (as were many early twentieth century socialists).

So, he is joining statisticians Galton and Fisher on the naughty step.

The Pearson Building at UCL is being renamed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

And how rubbish the Liberal Democrats have been.
    Yes, I think that’s true as well. I defended her at the time but with hindsight Swinson’s leadership was a catalogue of serious errors.

Whether Davey can do better remains to be seen.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

coach said:

We are an interconnected globalised nation with one of the highest rates of urbanisation and population density of major developed nations. That certainly has a role to play.
    We’re also a series of islands.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,225
    coach said:

We left already. Nobody is talking about Brexit not happening because Brexit has already happened. End of January. Were you asleep?
  • Options

Karl Pearson was a socialist. He declined an OBE. He was a prominent free-thinker. He supported the suffragettes. He admired Karl Marx.

To troll people, they could call it Apeson instead.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

Yes, I think that’s true as well. I defended her at the time but with hindsight Swinson’s leadership was a catalogue of serious errors.

The LibDems will not recover until the name Sir Nicholas William Peter Clegg has been forgotten.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,970
    coach said:

No it just points out how thick people are in England nowadays
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

A sensible BREXIT
    A thriving Economy

Of course the problem with the great betrayal narrative is that May secured a 20+% increase in Tory votes. The traitors in Labour HQ did a brilliant job of targeting so that despite the Tories massive vote increase on their 2015 majority haul, Labour still added 30 seats.
  • Options
    Just been taking a delve in the detailed tables of the latest full-sample Scottish poll. The breaks are even more depressing for Unionists than the headline 52% pro-independence, 48% pro-subjugation.

The young are overwhelmingly pro-independence, especially younger women (under 35): 69% are pro-sovereignty.

Astonishingly, 40% of SLab voters (2019) are pro-independence. This confirms my theory that the Labour block is absolutely key to winning back our independence.

8% of Yes voters from 2014 have now changed their minds and would vote No today, but a whopping 20% of 2014 No voters have switched in the other direction.

60% want Scotland to re-join the European Union, and that is the baseline before the shit has hit the fan.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/uploads/W15247-ScotGoesPop-for-publication-v2-050620.pdf
  • Options

coach said:

OKC, talking sense to a plank is useless.
  • Options

Decision reported 20 February after a 2 year enquiry.

For context.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

coach said:

Utter bollox, more like a disunited inward looking shithole of a union
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

Is an island that has millions crossing it's border every single week back in February really an island?

The irony is that Eastern European landlocked nations back in February were probably more of an island in hindsight.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2020
    ***** Betting Post *****

Do unfulfilled political ambitions perhaps lie behind George Osborne's decision yesterday to quit as editor of the London Evening Standard? Certainly if there was ever a time for him to commence manoeuvres, that time is probably now.
    From a betting perspective, those nice folk at Ladbrokes are offering to boost their odds against him being the next Conservative Leader from 100/1 to 130/1. Of course to further his cause, he would first need to secure a seat in the HOC.

DYOR.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Shit just got real.

There’s no marmite in Sainsbury’s.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

To troll people, they could call it Apeson instead.
    It is just a matter of time before someone suggests renaming the Fisher Information matrix or Pearson's correlation coefficient.

In fact, scientific nomenclature needs a deep clean.

Removing the Nazi sympathisers alone is a big, big job (the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle, the Stark effect, the Bieberbach conjecture, Teichmuller theory).

There is a whole new continent of wokeful renaming waiting to be discovered.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

You think the idea that we are urbanised and high population density is utter bollox?

I know you can't see past Scotland but I didn't realise you were so blinkered you couldn't see past the Scottish Highlands alone.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

Is an island that has millions crossing it's border every single week back in February really an island?

The irony is that Eastern European landlocked nations back in February were probably more of an island in hindsight.
    That begs the question - why were we allowing millions of people to cross our borders?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

coach said:

Pinhead. This country is not and never has been a direct democracy, and either you have never noticed or you don't mind (because I don't hear you complain on a weekly basis that the government has decided something for itself *again* instead of putting it to a plebiscite). And for good reason; the average voter is as well equipped to decide on complex matters of state as my horse is.

@IshmaelZ
    Ishmael, excellent new word of the day there, first time I have ever seen it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

That begs the question - why were we allowing millions of people to cross our borders?
    Because the science as advised by SAGE, Nervtag and the World Health Organisation was that we should.

Any other questions?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Cheers for that, Mr. Putney. Put a small sum on.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

ydoethur said:

The LibDems will not recover until the name Sir Nicholas William Peter Clegg has been forgotten.
    Then they'll be the junior partner in another coalition, betray half their supporters, and collapse once more.

FPTP is very cruel to non-regional minor parties
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

Do unfulfilled political ambitions perhaps lie behind George Osborne's decision yesterday to quit as editor of the London Evening Standard? Certainly if there was ever a time for him to commence manoeuvres, that time is probably now.
    From a betting perspective, those nice folk at Ladbrokes are offering to boost their odds against him being the next Conservative Leader from 100/1 to 130/1. Of course to further his cause, he would first need to secure a seat in the HOC.

DYOR.

I'd be surprised. Like Portillo and Balls, he's a better person outside politics; it is very hard to make a success of re-entry.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

You think the idea that we are urbanised and high population density is utter bollox?

I know you can't see past Scotland but I didn't realise you were so blinkered you couldn't see past the Scottish Highlands alone.
    He's been binge-watching Outlander again.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

The overpopulated urbanised England part was correct , the remainder was utter bollox.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Shit just got real.

There’s no marmite in Sainsbury’s.

It was more real when Sainsbury's still had stock to sell.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

The overpopulated urbanised England part was correct , the remainder was utter bollox.
    That was half of it. So you already half think it was right.

The other half was interconnected and globalised. Do you really think that's bollocks? You think we aren't an interconnected or globalised nation?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    coach said:

Dura_Ace said:

More top quality satire on here this morning!
    Stay in your lane, Mondeo Man.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Decision reported 20 February after a 2 year enquiry.

For context.
    But not yet implemented (I believe, at least according to the website).

Eugenics was very prevalent in left-wing circles, of course. As well as right-wing circles.

So, if you go hunting for eugenicists to rename, you will end up with most of the famous academics, writers & intellectuals of the early twentieth century.

Of course, you will also end up with a lot of Liberal MPs in your net, as the Darwins were Liberals.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

That was half of it. So you already half think it was right.

The other half was interconnected and globalised. Do you really think that's bollocks? You think we aren't an interconnected or globalised nation?
    Would you agree that the world is a different place to 2016 and that the relationship between the world's largest trading blocks has deteriorated since 2016.

I ask that because my answer would be that we are less interconnected and / or globalised then we were then, the world has moved against our globalised nation plan.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,974
    IanB2 said:

***** Betting Post *****

DYOR.

I'd be surprised. Like Portillo and Balls, he's a better person outside politics; it is very hard to make a success of re-entry.
    His resignation probably has more to do with the rather bleak future facing the ES.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited June 2020

Just been taking a delve in the detailed tables of the latest full-sample Scottish poll. The breaks are even more depressing for Unionists than the headline 52% pro-independence, 48% pro-subjugation.

The young are overwhelmingly pro-independence, especially younger women (under 35): 69% are pro-sovereignty.

Astonishingly, 40% of SLab voters (2019) are pro-independence. This confirms my theory that the Labour block is absolutely key to winning back our independence.

8% of Yes voters from 2014 have now changed their minds and would vote No today, but a whopping 20% of 2014 No voters have switched in the other direction.

60% want Scotland to re-join the European Union, and that is the baseline before the shit has hit the fan.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/uploads/W15247-ScotGoesPop-for-publication-v2-050620.pdf

The fact that Nats can only get to 48% including Don't Knows, just 3% higher than 2014, despite Brexit is not depressing at all to Unionists. The only people who should be depressed with that are Nats.

Of course the government has also ruled out indyref2 for a generation anyway, respecting the 'once in a generation' 2014 vote
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    coach said:

coach said:

Very keen on democracy.... But not when it is corrupted.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

IanB2 said:

***** Betting Post *****

DYOR.

His resignation probably has more to do with the rather bleak future facing the ES.
    He's become Editor in Chief.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

***** Betting Post *****

DYOR.

What does the Editor in Chief do?

How has the ES survived thus far without an Editor in Chief?
  • Options
    The key to any deal is if the government is willing to accept the EU terms of essentially staying in the single market bar free movement for a FTA.

That would probably be enough for the median voter now Brexit has been delivered but not the Leave diehards, who might return to the Brexit Party, or diehards on the Tory backbenches
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

Because the science as advised by SAGE, Nervtag and the World Health Organisation was that we should.

Any other questions?
    Yes; have you heard of the is-ought fallacy?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

***** Betting Post *****

DYOR.

What does the Editor in Chief do?

How has the ES survived thus far without an Editor in Chief?
    Get paid a little less in return for doing a lot less, since someone else is now doing the work.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    'Worth it?'. Well I imagine 48% of 2016 voters would say No. And it seems likely that a good few % more would also say No -- at least if aware of the probable consequences. I doubt it can be said that this is what "we" voted for.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,600
    coach said:

We have left.
    Pretending that we don’t have to negotiate trade arrangements as a result is just silly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,292
    I agree that there will not be a bespoke deal but a deal is still possible, indeed likely. The shape of that deal is in the transitional agreement. Whilst a sticking point or two is possible there is a consensus that both sides want zero tariff free access to each other's markets. Both want at least some degree of mutual recognition of standards so that NTBs are avoided. Both want minimum disruption to existing supply chains.
    The tricky bits are the LPF conditions and the status of NI. The UK cannot accept restrictions on State aid when Rishi has already lent £20bn and counting to businesses to help with Covid. The EU are of course doing the same. Its possible that there might be an agreement that State aid limitations are suspended for 5 years or so and this is looked at again later.
    NI remains tricky because there is a strong Irish desire not to have any conditionality on the movement of goods in the island. That either means no conditionality anywhere (possible but unlikely) or different rules. This problem has not gone away.
    The Brexit process will not end but it will reach another key stage. Future agreements, co-operation and equivalents to what we had as members are all too likely but they will be third party agreements negotiated at arms length.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

coach said:

Any other questions?
    Was it?

Science is only advising on a part of the political decision, in any case. Responsibility for weighing up the many other aspects of the equation, including economics, behaviour, international and public opinion sits with the politicians, as does actual accountability.

When the crisis began it seemed encouraging that the government was letting us hear from the leading scientists directly. But now things are going pear-shaped it is shabby the way our political leaders are trying to offload the blame.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,949
    IanB2 said:

When the crisis began it seemed encouraging that the government was letting us hear from the leading scientists directly. But now things are going pear-shaped it is shabby the way our political leaders are trying to offload the blame.

The Government prevented us hearing from leading scientists when they feared we would learn inconvenient truths.
  • Options
    alednam said:

'Worth it?'. Well I imagine 48% of 2016 voters would say No. And it seems likely that a good few % more would also say No -- at least if aware of the probable consequences. I doubt it can be said that this is what "we" voted for.

We voted for Brexit, Brexit has been delivered by Boris.

If people want to rejoin the single market they can vote for Starmer or the LDs in 2024
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

coach said:

@IshmaelZ
    Agreed. New one on me too.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think, to be fair, the scientists on SAGE do bear a large chunk of the blame.

There is clearly a shit-storm of blame coming, and both the scientists and the politicians are positioning themselves.

Or rather re-positioning themselves.

It is an interesting question as to how accountable a scientist is if the advice proferred leads to poor decisions.

However, I think it is usually accepted that scientists do have a duty to retract mistakes. That is part of the code of science.
  • Options
    The deal is that we will package up our current relationship with the EU, change the name, and call it victory. We cannot implement any kind of physical border by the end of the year. We cannot do so by mid summer 2021 which is their new deadline. It's impossible. So frictionless borders with buffered to the EU but uncoupled is the way.

Amazing that the bunch of sacked liars we call the government couldn't figure out that blah blah blah we hold all the cards let's force them was bollocks.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    IanB2 said:

There is also a very good series on Radio 4 by Neil Wallis the journalist who covered the story, available on BBC iPlayer.

The story - and there is much more to come out, I expect - is an absolute scandal.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I think, to be fair, the scientists on SAGE do bear a large chunk of the blame.

There is clearly a shit-storm of blame coming, and both the scientists and the politicians are positioning themselves.

Or rather re-positioning themselves.

It is an interesting question as to how accountable a scientist is if the advice proferred leads to poor decisions.

However, I think it is usually accepted that scientists do have a duty to retract mistakes. That is part of the code of science.
    I am not a scientist and you are better placed to judge but my strong impression is that epidemiology has been something of a backwater for some time not attracting either the brightest or the best.
    There has been clear signs that models were amateurish and simplistic not taking advantage of modern statistical methods, there was the fact that the WHO (who seem to be in the chocolate teapot category) seemed to be using modelling based on work done in the 1930s post Spanish flu. There seems to have been little appreciation of the absolutely massive increase in the movement of people since that time and the implications for transmission. There seemed to be very little thought put into how a trace and search system was ever going to work, a problem we are yet to solve.
    Some countries, who have had more recent experience such as SARS, do seem to have addressed these issues and therefore had a much better idea about where to start. SK had a tracing system on a public website based on phone data in February, for example. Despite the exercise undertaken under Hunt we seem to have given this little thought.
    I wonder was this just money or resources or lack of real world examples making it boring?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,185
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

alednam said:

If people want to rejoin the single market they can vote for Starmer or the LDs in 2024
    A good post.

Yes we have left. Some on here of the Brexit persuasion still seem to think we haven't.

For someone unashamedly partisan you can still see the wood from the trees. A post stating the obvious, but of a view some others obviously can't see.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

There is also a very good series on Radio 4 by Neil Wallis the journalist who covered the story, available on BBC iPlayer.

The story - and there is much more to come out, I expect - is an absolute scandal.
    Agreed; Private Eye has featured the developing story several times.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

coach said:

coach said:

@IshmaelZ
    Agreed. New one on me too.
    But it is the wrong word. We do not have mob rule in that sense. What we need is a Greek-sounding word for government by social media algorithms. Or is it Latin? Boris would know.

Use, or misuse, of social media played a large part in BLM, in the war against statues, and in recent elections and referenda. When the outcome is one we approve of, we downplay its importance. My vote was not changed by Twitter. My shopping is not influenced by advertising. Inconvenient questions about the influence of hostile foreign powers using the same techniques as our main political parties is locked in the Downing Street safe. Are we sure Boaty McBoatface is not ploughing the same seas as 19th Century slavers?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,600
    Beijing district in 'wartime emergency mode' after virus spike
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Beijing-district-in-wartime-emergency-mode-after-virus-spike
    ... Chu Junwei, an official of Beijing's southwestern Fengtai district, told a briefing on Saturday that the district was in "wartime emergency mode".

Throat swabs from 45 people, out of 517 tested at the district's Xinfadi wholesale market, had tested positive for the new coronavirus, though none of them showed symptoms of COVID-19, Chu said.

A city spokesman told the briefing that all six COVID-19 patients confirmed in Beijing on Friday had visited the Xinfadi market. The capital will suspend sports events and inter-provincial tourism effective immediately, he said.

One person at an agricultural market in the city's northwestern Haidian district also tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 without showing symptoms, Chu said.

As part of measures to curb the spread of the virus, Fengtai district said it had locked down 11 neighbourhoods in the vicinity of the market.

Authorities closed the Xinfadi market at 3 a.m. on Saturday (1900 GMT on Friday), after two men working at a meat research centre who had recently visited the market were reported on Friday to have been infected. It was not immediately clear how the men had been infected...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

alednam said:

A good post.

Yes we have left. Some on here of the Brexit persuasion still seem to think we haven't.

For someone unashamedly partisan you can still see the wood from the trees. A post stating the obvious, but of a view some others obviously can't see.
    It's a fundamental observation to note we've left. That should switch the neccessary focus of any relationship to the economy rather than any notion of democracy.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Some would say your first paragraph contains enough reasons for the renaming...

But you are right: eugenics was an idea of its time and retrospectively condemning people for not anticipating how far a bunch of nutters in Germany would take the idea is as sensible as condemning him for not anticipating what others would do in the name of Marxism.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    coach said:

coach said:

See a conclusion and you jump, don't you! The vast majority here are anonymous, posting under pseudonyms. How do you know, why do you assume that I'm not campaigning for another vote?
This discussion has been closed.