Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer is the most popular leader of the opposition since Bla

Comments

• Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

Basically my opinion is worthless because I'm a leftie but the PB Tories or right wingers on hear are always right. I enjoy it, much rather argue with people I disagree with, I just hate this idea there is anyone on this site who has the wisdom on truth, or who is somehow impartial.

Of course, perhaps I should know better on a pro-Tory site, perhaps the most pro-Tory blog I know of, to be honest.

I think you are ok CHB!

Although this has now become a hard left site! When I started in 2005 it was more balanced but most of the CON have been scared off by the nasty hard lefters! :lol:
    Who in here is hard left though? I'm probably the most left wing person here I would think, although I've accepted my views aren't what the country wants to see hence my moderation.
    There are a lot of remoaners here.

PSST I voted Leave don't tell anyone
    I voted Remain but Brexit is over now. I was always more keen on EEA which I still think is where we will end up.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,865

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Also worth mentioning the Shadow Cabinet, which, although vastly improved since the dismal Corbyn rag-bag, still looks lightweight and doesn't look like a government-in-waiting. The interview with Ed Balls on WATO today was a stark reminder that Labour used to have some serious Shad Cab figures.

To be fair, with experience and more exposure the frontbench team will no doubt improve. Nonetheless, Starmer could do with making a few forensic cuts. I'd suggest ditching RL-B would be a good start.

I think that's fair comment. But I also think that with exposure the front bench team will be seen to be stronger than their Tory counterparts within a couple of years. Interestingly one who has had exposure recently, David Lammy, has in my opinion surpassed expectations, being very sensible on BLM issues including statues - a voice of reason.

R L-B had to be given a job as runner-up for the leadership, really. Given that she is up against the nonentity Gavin Williamson, if she doesn't outperform him I would expect Starmer to dispense with her services after a year or so.
    Lammy is an out and out racist. He doesn't even deserve to be in Parliament let alone in the Shadow Cabinet.
    You've written this before about Lammy (I ignored it then), and I think it's a shameful slur. Do you know him? Do you really think the people of Tottenham would continue to elect him (76% in 2019) if he were a racist, or are you saying that they too are racist, or are they just blind to their MP's racism?
    He explicitly said the job of leading the Grenfell enquiry should not go to someone who was white.

If anyone said that a position should not go to someone because they were black they would be guilty of discrimination and probably out of a job.

What is the difference?

That is infantile.
    It is in no way infantile. If anyone were to say someone should be denied a job because they were black you would be all over it. And rightly so. But apparently it is okay for Lammy to say exactly the same thing about whites.

If you believe that you are a hypocrite and are part of the problem.
    David Lammy is an "out and out racist" because he wanted a BAME head for the Grenfell Inquiry?

C'mon Richard. If you abuse language like that you give yourself a real problem - because you now have no way to describe an out and out racist.
    There is no abuse of language at all. If I were to say that someone should not get a job because of the colour of their skin what would you call that?

And bear in mind he didn't say the job should go to someone BAME. He said it should not be a white person.

As I said if you pretend that isn't racist then you are an out and out hypocrite.

I will also add of course that he attacked white people raising money to help poor people in Africa. Apparently that is racist as well in his warped world.

Attitudes like his and apparently yours are just as bad as those of Nick Griffin and the BNP.
    David Lammy as bad as Nick Griffin.

Keep going.
    Now you are abusing language. Either that or you are simply thick. I said 'attitudes like his are as bad as those of Nick Griffin'.

That applies to anyone who makes judgements about people based on the colour of their skin. Or are you one of those idiots who thinks that only whites can be racist?
    Exactly what I said. You are equating Lammy wanting a BAME head of the Grenfell Inquiry with the vile white supremacy beliefs of Nick Griffin and the BNP.

It's utterly ludicrous. By this token Joe Biden is an "out and out" racist on a par with David Duke for ruling out a white running mate.

You are demonstrating an astonishing lack of nuance and perspective on this matter. I am gobsmacked I really am.

(Yes of course you can be racist and not white. Plenty of that in the world.)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited June 2020

Facebook was good until the boomers took it over, it's been dying slowly since then. It won't surprise me to see it gone in 10 years, just as MySpace and Bebo before it.

Nah. It would have died if the Boomers hadn't taken it over. Now it is a key communications network for millions rather than a cool toy for the young. And those millions spend real money and are a far better demographic for advertisers.

I genuinely think as I said, it's likely in 10 years it will be forgotten as Bebo and MySpace have been too.

It's dying, very slowly.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that you 'genuinely think' the views espoused in your posts, I think they just think you're wrong.
    Your attacks on my posts are nothing if consistent. Very dull hearing the same view from you constantly about how I am inevitably wrong. No real substance, just "you're wrong".
    By rising above the petty rudeness you look the smarter poster.
    It's a complete waste of time, I'm hated on this site and I just go with it now. At least I'm myself :)
    Hey, you're one of the good guys. Don't let the pricks get you down.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,462

Ave_it said:

I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

Basically my opinion is worthless because I'm a leftie but the PB Tories or right wingers on hear are always right. I enjoy it, much rather argue with people I disagree with, I just hate this idea there is anyone on this site who has the wisdom on truth, or who is somehow impartial.

Of course, perhaps I should know better on a pro-Tory site, perhaps the most pro-Tory blog I know of, to be honest.

I think you are ok CHB!

Although this has now become a hard left site! When I started in 2005 it was more balanced but most of the CON have been scared off by the nasty hard lefters! :lol:
    Who in here is hard left though? I'm probably the most left wing person here I would think, although I've accepted my views aren't what the country wants to see hence my moderation.
    In many posters minds, it seems if you like Ken Clarke you are now hard left!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842

eadric said:
    I don't actually think this is terrible news in a way. Our response to this virus so far has been to try to prevent spread (except Sweden) and 'hang on' for a vaccine. In other words, we don't want to change anything, so we'll go through the ringer in the short term to avoid changing anything in the long term.

Coronavirus doesn't look like it's playing that game. So instead, we're forced to look at big changes in both health care systems and the way we treat patients, but also to really look at why different people are vulnerable to different degrees - why our immune systems are (in many cases) not equipped to see this off. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies and other environmental factors - how we all nourish our bodies (or don't) - these things have not really been part of the public health conversation, and now they will be.
    I tend to agree. And the things you list really ought to be part of the "conversation" anyways.
    We are also going to have to take a look at how we organise our work and leisure spaces and time. This is of course being done, but it is not the same when it may be permanent. Ditto education. And transport.
    And, of course, how we treat the vulnerable. Both to the disease and other issues.
    It is an opportunity for serious long range blue sky thinking for a better nation and society.
    We have Boris Johnson to lead us at this time.
  • Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

Lol somebody marked your post off topic, people on this site - some, not all - are utterly pathetic.
  • Facebook was good until the boomers took it over, it's been dying slowly since then. It won't surprise me to see it gone in 10 years, just as MySpace and Bebo before it.

Nah. It would have died if the Boomers hadn't taken it over. Now it is a key communications network for millions rather than a cool toy for the young. And those millions spend real money and are a far better demographic for advertisers.

I genuinely think as I said, it's likely in 10 years it will be forgotten as Bebo and MySpace have been too.

It's dying, very slowly.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that you 'genuinely think' the views espoused in your posts, I think they just think you're wrong.
    Your attacks on my posts are nothing if consistent. Very dull hearing the same view from you constantly about how I am inevitably wrong. No real substance, just "you're wrong".
    It's a complete waste of time, I'm hated on this site and I just go with it now. At least I'm myself :)
    Thanks mate, you too.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    So islanders are now being advised to uninstall the failed tracing App.

A shame we can’t uninstall the numpties that brought it to us.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,732
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Also worth mentioning the Shadow Cabinet, which, although vastly improved since the dismal Corbyn rag-bag, still looks lightweight and doesn't look like a government-in-waiting. The interview with Ed Balls on WATO today was a stark reminder that Labour used to have some serious Shad Cab figures.

To be fair, with experience and more exposure the frontbench team will no doubt improve. Nonetheless, Starmer could do with making a few forensic cuts. I'd suggest ditching RL-B would be a good start.

I think that's fair comment. But I also think that with exposure the front bench team will be seen to be stronger than their Tory counterparts within a couple of years. Interestingly one who has had exposure recently, David Lammy, has in my opinion surpassed expectations, being very sensible on BLM issues including statues - a voice of reason.

R L-B had to be given a job as runner-up for the leadership, really. Given that she is up against the nonentity Gavin Williamson, if she doesn't outperform him I would expect Starmer to dispense with her services after a year or so.
    Lammy is an out and out racist. He doesn't even deserve to be in Parliament let alone in the Shadow Cabinet.
    You've written this before about Lammy (I ignored it then), and I think it's a shameful slur. Do you know him? Do you really think the people of Tottenham would continue to elect him (76% in 2019) if he were a racist, or are you saying that they too are racist, or are they just blind to their MP's racism?
    He explicitly said the job of leading the Grenfell enquiry should not go to someone who was white.

If anyone said that a position should not go to someone because they were black they would be guilty of discrimination and probably out of a job.

What is the difference?

That is infantile.
    It is in no way infantile. If anyone were to say someone should be denied a job because they were black you would be all over it. And rightly so. But apparently it is okay for Lammy to say exactly the same thing about whites.

David Lammy is an "out and out racist" because he wanted a BAME head for the Grenfell Inquiry?

C'mon Richard. If you abuse language like that you give yourself a real problem - because you now have no way to describe an out and out racist.
    There is no abuse of language at all. If I were to say that someone should not get a job because of the colour of their skin what would you call that?

And bear in mind he didn't say the job should go to someone BAME. He said it should not be a white person.

As I said if you pretend that isn't racist then you are an out and out hypocrite.

I will also add of course that he attacked white people raising money to help poor people in Africa. Apparently that is racist as well in his warped world.

Attitudes like his and apparently yours are just as bad as those of Nick Griffin and the BNP.

Keep going.
    Now you are abusing language. Either that or you are simply thick. I said 'attitudes like his are as bad as those of Nick Griffin'.

That applies to anyone who makes judgements about people based on the colour of their skin. Or are you one of those idiots who thinks that only whites can be racist?
    Exactly what I said. You are equating Lammy wanting a BAME head of the Grenfell Inquiry with the vile white supremacy beliefs of Nick Griffin and the BNP.

It's utterly ludicrous. By this token Joe Biden is an "out and out" racist on a par with David Duke for ruling out a white running mate.

You are demonstrating an astonishing lack of nuance and perspective on this matter. I am gobsmacked I really am.

Lammy demonstrably looks for racism, and finds it, where none exists though. That is on the spectrum of racism/anti-racism etc etc somewhere, and probably doesn't help get his cause a sympathetic hearing.
  • Nobody could have foreseen the NHS app being a disaster...except anyone who worked in software engineering and had any knowledge of iOS development.

So a lot of people then.

But don't worry, we've got "expert" Dido Harding on the case now. What are her credentials?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

Lol somebody marked your post off topic, people on this site - some, not all - are utterly pathetic.
    Off topics are invariably fat finger syndrome.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020
    Nick Watney: Coronavirus positive test forces US golfer out of RBC Heritage - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/53116578

Tested negative before the tournament started, positive today.
  • isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What is the difference?

That is infantile.

Keep going.

Lammy demonstrably looks for racism, and finds it, where none exists though. That is on the spectrum of racism/anti-racism etc etc somewhere, and probably doesn't help get his cause a sympathetic hearing.
    Lammy in general is pretty sensible but has been known to make moronic points. I think recently he's been very good in his new role.

He's not dumb though, he's a Harvard educated lawyer.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

Off topics are invariably fat finger syndrome.
    Or ironic. ;)
  • Are there any thoughts here on the proposed/rumoured removal of the pension triple lock? Well overdue IMO
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Are there any thoughts here on the proposed/rumoured removal of the pension triple lock? Well overdue IMO

Yes agreed. It is a shame it has taken such events as these for it to be one but it is something that should have been dealt with long ago.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

RobD said:

You've not been below the line on Guido then. ;)
    I don't go on Guido out of principle but I'm aware of the comments section, fair point.
    You are not hated by me.

You contribute an honest view and this is a site with a wide range of views

Indeed, I do not hate anyone

I may dislike them but hate has no place anywhere
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What is the difference?

That is infantile.

Keep going.

Not at all. These are just the most obvious examples of Lamy's behaviour and it is seen at every turn. The first thing he looks for when judging how to respond to something is the colour of the person involved. It is pretty sick.
    Andy_JS said:

Pulling down statues of Washington = Trump win in November.

People keep saying this stuff. I just don't think it works. There is no event which can save Trump. There is no question to which Trump is the answer.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048

Facebook was good until the boomers took it over, it's been dying slowly since then. It won't surprise me to see it gone in 10 years, just as MySpace and Bebo before it.

It's dying, very slowly.
    Thanks mate, you too.
    You're certainly not hated by me. I don't think my post indicates hatred or even dislike on my part. I was just commenting that 'I genuinely think as I said', as a retort, is funny. I have no idea who out of you and Richard is reading the tea leaves on Facebook right, but he did raise a counter-argument that you didn't really address.

Are there any thoughts here on the proposed/rumoured removal of the pension triple lock? Well overdue IMO

And we would agree on that and I am a pensioner
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    edited June 2020

Nobody could have foreseen the NHS app being a disaster...except anyone who worked in software engineering and had any knowledge of iOS development.

So a lot of people then.

But don't worry, we've got "expert" Dido Harding on the case now. What are her credentials?

Apparently a school friend of George Osborne, who he kept appointing to government jobs the guy had no qualifications for, is to blame for this latest fiasco.

A lot of islanders who have been carrying their phones around with the App are fairly p***ed off at the news that it has been ignoring 96% of iPhones and a good proportion of other phones,
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

People keep saying this stuff. I just don't think it works. There is no event which can save Trump. There is no question to which Trump is the answer.
    Who was the most divisive and unprincipled President of the last 100 years?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

I agree - I support the removal of the Triple Lock.

And we need to restrict tax relief on pension contributions to 20% basic rate as that will save the Treasury £bns
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2020
    IanB2 said:

Nobody could have foreseen the NHS app being a disaster...except anyone who worked in software engineering and had any knowledge of iOS development.

So a lot of people then.

Apparently a school friend of George Osborne, who he kept appointing to government jobs the guy had no qualifications for, is to blame for this latest fiasco.

A lot of islanders who have been carrying their phones around with the App are fairly p***ed off at the news that it has been ignoring 96% of iPhones and a good proportion of other phones,
    It "ignores" iPhones because it can't work with them. As I tried to explain when this app was proposed, backgrounding on iOS has always been an issue without a resolution and Apple was never going to allow this app to get around that.

This was obvious to somebody with even the most basic understanding of iOS background process management.

I don't blame users getting angry, I do blame Government incompetence and arrogance that meant they thought they could work around it.
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Most orange human? Who has the most widely shared nonsensical tweets?
    Ave_it said:

And we need to restrict tax relief on pension contributions to 20% basic rate as that will save the Treasury £bns
    Agreed plus NI on all over 60's in employment

Nah you are certainly not hated by me. Obviously I disagree with you in terms of left and right but you post lots of stuff I agree with and always do it with good humour which counts for a great deal.

I said before the election I hoped you would stick around whatever the result when others were accusing you of being a bot and I am extremely glad you did.

Now, back to insulting you ... :)

Oh I would say one thing, this is certainly not a pro-Tory blog. It has tended to drift back and forth over the years and of course the man at the top is definitely not a fan of the Tories. Even below the line there are plenty from both left and right at the moment there are probably more anti-Tory right of centre posters than we have ever had, even at the height of UKIP.

Totally unaffordable and morally indefensible in the current climate.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603
    edited June 2020

Your opinion is as valuable as anyone elses.

There are more Conservative supporters who post regularly. Many of the Tory posters are very much worth a look. I'll give you an example. You can't get much more hardcore Tory than HYUFD, but HYUFD is a font of knowledge, particularly in US politics and his polling knowledge is encyclopaedic. I find myself disagreeing with HYUFD all the time, he is always forthright, but polite.

You can easily pick out the posters to avoid, although, ancient as I am, I managed to find myself in an altercation with someone I try to steer clear of earlier today.

Just enjoy, and ignore those who need to be ignored.

Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

Plenty on here who are as lefty as you are.

Even just from this evening we have IanB2, Kinabalu, Justin124, Mexicanpete and Nick Palmer.

That is before we get started on DuraAce

Nah you are certainly not hated by me. Obviously I disagree with you in terms of left and right but you post lots of stuff I agree with and always do it with good humour which counts for a great deal.

I said before the election I hoped you would stick around whatever the result when others were accusing you of being a bot and I am extremely glad you did.

Oh I would say one thing, this is certainly not a pro-Tory blog. It has tended to drift back and forth over the years and of course the man at the top is definitely not a fan of the Tories. Even below the line there are plenty from both left and right at the moment there are probably more anti-Tory right of centre posters than we have ever had, even at the height of UKIP.
    Re your last paragraph it has certainly changed with much more anti Tory right of centre posters and more generally anti Boris/ Cummings
    edited June 2020

My post wasn't aimed at you, apologies if you got caught in the crossfire.

I have said time and time again, that I don't mind that people disagree with me, as long as they're prepared to have an intelligent argument that is fine.

Yes indeed, I did consider leaving after the 9th time being told I was a Labour HQ bot/stooge and having my predictions brought up (of course no mention is ever made of all those that called 2017 wrong when I called it right but there you go) but I've really got nothing to prove to anyone. I know what I am, a leftie mostly social democrat who hung onto Corbyn too long.

My views now are mostly guided by polling, as a Labour Party we need to get much better at dumping unpopular leaders. Starmer for me seems to be the best option at present, I don't have the same attachment as I did to Corbyn.

As for the pro-Tory blog, I meant the comments as opposed to the blog itself - I do think in general it's pro-Tory but take the point about being anti-Johnson.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

It's dying, very slowly.
    Bullshit, I thought it was great that you remained on the site after the election, even though you ignored my advice to rename yourself incorrecthorsebattery to reflect your prediction deficit.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    dixiedean said:

I don't know why there is any debate on this. A temporary removal of the link to average earning increase for technical reasons due to the collapse and then spike in earnings this year is just plain common sense.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Ave_it said:

We should go for the big prize and bring the public sector pension schemes into line with the private sector.
  • Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

Even just from this evening we have IanB2, Kinabalu, Justin124, Mexicanpete and Nick Palmer.

I don't consider myself hard left, I'm pretty much a bog standard social democrat.

The 2019 Labour manifesto was too left for me, I have no interest in nationalising BT or the utilities. I only supporting nationalising railways as its basically free.
    isam said:

There's a rumour going round, could be nonsense of course, of a Prem footballer who refused to take a knee/wear the BLM slogan...

He tweeted how good it was to be back on Tuesday, but didn't get picked on the Wednesday

I'm hearing it's nonsense.
    dixiedean said:

Strangely Corbyn backed it in 2019

Lets see if Starmer changes that and seeks it's abolition
  • IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Bullshit, I thought it was great that you remained on the site after the election, even though you ignored my advice to rename yourself incorrecthorsebattery to reflect your prediction deficit.
    It doesn't let you change your username from what I can see, I did try
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    This tracing app. Can't Johnson just declare it a success and then announce that the first pint is free on 4th July? We needed the app to be able to unlock. We are unlocking anyway, so don't need the app. So declare it a success and mock any journalist asking silly questions

Ave_it said:

Agreed again. All employment paying the same amount should be treated the same for tax/NI purposes. The age of the worker should be immaterial.

I have said time and time again, that I don't mind that people disagree with me, as long as they're prepared to have an intelligent argument that is fine.

Yes indeed, I did consider leaving after the 9th time being told I was a Labour HQ bot/stooge and having my predictions brought up (of course no mention is ever made of all those that called 2017 wrong when I called it right but there you go) but I've really got nothing to prove to anyone. I know what I am, a leftie mostly social democrat who hung onto Corbyn too long.

My views now are mostly guided by polling, as a Labour Party we need to get much better at dumping unpopular leaders. Starmer for me seems to be the best option at present, I don't have the same attachment as I did to Corbyn.

As for the pro-Tory blog, I meant the comments as opposed to the blog itself - I do think in general it's pro-Tory but take the point about being anti-Johnson.
    Really hope the Labour party doesnt go down the route of opinion polling leading policy, it leads to really bad government. The current crisis is a great example with the government "firefighting" daily news headlines but a complete lack of planning or effective delivery.

Its fine to come up with policies which you then test and dont include if they are unpopular, but dont choose policies just because the public want them.
    edited June 2020

Ave_it said:

Steady on BigG, my pension is feeble and I will be working until I drop! That's a bit like "I am on the bus, Conductor ring the bell!"
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Did you? Even better!
  • I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

Really hope the Labour party doesnt go down the route of opinion polling leading policy, it leads to really bad government. The current crisis is a great example with the government "firefighting" daily news headlines but a complete lack of planning or effective delivery.

Its fine to come up with policies which you then test and dont include if they are unpopular, but dont choose policies just because the public want them.
    My views are guided by polling, i.e. if Starmer goes into net negative towards Corbyn we should have the courage to dump him.

I think there is a balance to be found, Labour should definitely look at polling more than Corbyn, who just ignored them.

Of course Blair was the master - but then I'm called a neoliberal stooge for saying that. I always thought Blair was pretty good, we seem to hate him on the left, what a mess
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Did you? Even better!
    I did.
    edited June 2020

Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

I don't consider myself hard left, I'm pretty much a bog standard social democrat.

The 2019 Labour manifesto was too left for me, I have no interest in nationalising BT or the utilities. I only supporting nationalising railways as its basically free.
    And it's basically been done. If this virus is mutating as rumoured it won't be attractive to the private sector any time soon.
    Edit: Passenger bit of course.

dixiedean said:

I don't know why there is any debate on this. A temporary removal of the link to average earning increase for technical reasons due to the collapse and then spike in earnings this year is just plain common sense.
    Temporary isnt good enough, the policy is ridiculous. Why no triple lock for other benefits? Or public sector pay? Because we cant afford it and it would be unfair. Exactly the same applies with state pension.

Ave_it said:

Steady on, my pension is feeble and I will be working until I drop! That's a bit like "I am on the bus, Conductor ring the bell!"
    I have long thought it was wrong

16 years ago at 60 I received this benefit until I retired at 65
  • TresTres Posts: 2,165
    Ave_it said:

I for one are very thankful for the cowardice of our politicial class over the last decade.
  • I have my own set of views, I'm anti-monarchy, pro a larger state, high investment, etc. But I accept the former is very unpopular, so no tears lost in keeping that one quiet.

I'd like to see a lot of things nationalised ideally but I get in reality its not workable or wanted. Railways enough for me, because I use them.

It's broadband I'd like to see major investment into - but perhaps into a co-operative or some kind of independent Government financed business.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944

dixiedean said:

At the last election, the Conservatives pledged to maintain the triple lock. Labour the same.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,916

I think you are great CHB. Keep up the good work!
    It's interesting that the leftwing posters think it's a Tory site and the rightwing posters think it's a Marxist hellhole (although most of the Marxists seem to work for Boris Johnson these days, go figure). Maybe like the BBC that means it's doing something right.
    One thing I have noticed is that rightwing posters seem to go in for pile-ons a bit more often, whereas the lefties seem to be a bit more solo operators. Which is kind of the opposite of what one might have expected given their respective attitudes towards the collective vs the individual.
    Anyway, I think the main thing is to be kind to each other. There's too much hate in the world already.
  • IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Strange. Some posters appear to manage to do this several times in the same thread.
    Haha, my friend, good one.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,287
    Republicanism is more popular in the UK than people think, around 20-25%.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I struggle to separate the insight from the wishful thinking. There are lots of (I’m Not A ) Trumpton Butts on PB.

dixiedean said:

At the last election, the Conservatives pledged to maintain the triple lock. Labour the same.
    Well yes as it is a conservative manifesto promise
    edited June 2020

It's all gone a bit bow-tie reactionary on here I'm afraid. Statues are leading to borderline derangement. Guess it will calm down at some point.

Ave_it said:

Steady on, my pension is feeble and I will be working until I drop! That's a bit like "I am on the bus, Conductor ring the bell!"

So when I fall off the perch at 80, I'll still be paying NI. Have some pity BigG!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,287
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The closing of the western mind. The Galton Theatre at UCL is to be renamed “lecture theatre 115” - a brilliant Orwellian touch

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jun/19/ucl-renames-three-facilities-that-honoured-prominent-eugenicists?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Your daily reminder that Galton was an outright genius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Galton

They will come for Darwin, Galton’s cousin, soon enough

I presume this new level of morality will stretch to all sources of funding. No taking any Chinese or middle eastern money for starters.
    Western universities are fucked in so many ways

1. About to lose Chinese/foreign students
    2. Research will be hampered in the name of PC
    3. Huge pressure for affirmative action will make non-favoured students look elsewhere

A perfect storm. The higher education sector is about to collapse.

Good riddance. The academy bred this Woke revolution, now the revolution devours the academy
    They should never have come to rely on Chinese students in the first place.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,631

isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What is the difference?

That is infantile.

Keep going.

Lammy in general is pretty sensible but has been known to make moronic points. I think recently he's been very good in his new role.

He's not dumb though, he's a Harvard educated lawyer.
    Harvard lawyers are more of a problem than Oxbridge PPE.

"It ain't so much the things that people don't know that makes trouble in this world, as it is the things that people know that ain't so. — Mark Twain."
    edited June 2020

My views are guided by polling, i.e. if Starmer goes into net negative towards Corbyn we should have the courage to dump him.

I think there is a balance to be found, Labour should definitely look at polling more than Corbyn, who just ignored them.

Of course Blair was the master - but then I'm called a neoliberal stooge for saying that. I always thought Blair was pretty good, we seem to hate him on the left, what a mess
    Blair was very good, he probably stayed too long as most PMs do if they can, and then gets remembered for the end. At the start they had a clear change manifesto for education and health backed by status quo on the economy and law and order. They knew what they wanted to do and werent led by polling. It was after their initial work was done that it became poll driven, and that was the period that was much less successful.
  • I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

It's interesting that the leftwing posters think it's a Tory site and the rightwing posters think it's a Marxist hellhole (although most of the Marxists seem to work for Boris Johnson these days, go figure). Maybe like the BBC that means it's doing something right.
    One thing I have noticed is that rightwing posters seem to go in for pile-ons a bit more often, whereas the lefties seem to be a bit more solo operators. Which is kind of the opposite of what one might have expected given their respective attitudes towards the collective vs the individual.
    Anyway, I think the main thing is to be kind to each other. There's too much hate in the world already.
    Good post, much to think about with regards to where the site actually sits as opposed to the perceptions I have of it.

I do like that the owner chimes in occasionally, far too many sites have their owners hiding away somewhere.

Your last two sentences are relevant, especially these days
    Time to bid everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night folks
    eadric said:

RobD said:

I don't go on Guido out of principle but I'm aware of the comments section, fair point.
    You are not hated by me.

How can you hate someone you’ve never met, on a politics forum?! Barmy

Nighty night
    I hate Trump with a burning fire, I've yet to meet him on a forum or anywhere else.

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Strange. Some posters appear to manage to do this several times in the same thread.
    Earlier this week one poster was riffing with his alterego. It was surreal, but entertaining nonetheless.
  • IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    Earlier this week one poster was riffing with his alterego. It was surreal, but entertaining nonetheless.
    I missed it, been working so much this week. Whom was it?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

eadric said:

RobD said:

You are not hated by me.

How can you hate someone you’ve never met, on a politics forum?! Barmy

Nighty night
    I hate Trump with a burning fire, I've yet to meet him on a forum or anywhere else.
    What about Twitter? :lol:

Ave_it said:

So when I fall off the perch at 80, I'll still be paying NI. Have some pity BigG!
    No. I didn't word that properly

After a pensioner retires no NI is payable on pension income so in my case I stopped NI when I was 60

I have my own set of views, I'm anti-monarchy, pro a larger state, high investment, etc. But I accept the former is very unpopular, so no tears lost in keeping that one quiet.

I'd like to see a lot of things nationalised ideally but I get in reality its not workable or wanted. Railways enough for me, because I use them.

It's broadband I'd like to see major investment into - but perhaps into a co-operative or some kind of independent Government financed business.

Being anti Monarchy is not a particularly rare view on this site to be fair.

Your opinion is as valuable as anyone elses.

There are more Conservative supporters who post regularly. Many of the Tory posters are very much worth a look. I'll give you an example. You can't get much more hardcore Tory than HYUFD, but HYUFD is a font of knowledge, particularly in US politics and his polling knowledge is encyclopaedic. I find myself disagreeing with HYUFD all the time, he is always forthright, but polite.

You can easily pick out the posters to avoid, although, ancient as I am, I managed to find myself in an altercation with someone I try to steer clear of earlier today.

Just enjoy, and ignore those who need to be ignored.
    Yes Ishmael is a misanthropist as far as I can tell. He doesn’t have much of a good word for anyone.

I find most of the PB Tories to be nice chaps generally. I have to pull some of them up when they get too far up Bozza’s backside.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited June 2020

Good post, much to think about with regards to where the site actually sits as opposed to the perceptions I have of it.

I do like that the owner chimes in occasionally, far too many sites have their owners hiding away somewhere.
    It is not always a good idea to have the man with the Ban Hammer weighing in :open_mouth:

The place is rombustuous but we all seem to rub along rather then rub each other up. If you think you are having a hard time, dig into the archives and read some of the stuff Roger or Tim caused arguments about.
  • dixiedean said:

I have my own set of views, I'm anti-monarchy, pro a larger state, high investment, etc. But I accept the former is very unpopular, so no tears lost in keeping that one quiet.

Being anti Monarchy is not a particularly rare view on this site to be fair.
    I meant in the general public but take the point about this site.

I think I would be a hypocrite to be pro-monarchy as a social democrat/light socialist, although I do support the immense amount of money they bring in, so I guess I am a hypocrite. Oh well.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What is the difference?

That is infantile.

Keep going.

That is a statement I can live with whilst not really agreeing with it.

For example I thought his "white saviours" point was good and worth thinking about.

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    I missed it, been working so much this week. Whom was it?
    I am probably not allowed to say under PB rules. But if you think hard enough to yourself and don't post your answer, I suspect it will nonetheless be correct.

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    He seems to water his usp down with every incarnation though. He'll homeophathic remedy himself out of interestingness if he's not careful.

It is not always a good idea to have the man with the Ban Hammer weighing in :open_mouth:

The place is rombustuous but we all seem to rub along rather then rub each other up. If you think you are having a hard time, dig into the archives and read some of the stuff Roger or Tim caused arguments about.
    Whom are these people?

I do like the history of this site and hearing about it but I feel sometimes as though I'll never know or understand it all.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I struggle to separate the insight from the wishful thinking. There are lots of (I’m Not A ) Trumpton Butts on PB.
    I'm not.... bothered about being called a Trumpton, so here's my question to which Trump is the answer:

'Who would you have preferred to win in 2016, Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?'

I have never really wavered from that view, not because I like Donald Trump, but because for me, he was (and has been) less dangerous to world stability than Hillary Clinton, and better for the UK than Hillary Clinton.

Yes, Hillary would have been a million times more suited in temperament and deportment and diplomacy than Trump, but she also would have done the following:

-Actively intervened in UK domestic affairs (she did this anyway without even being President)
    -Got America (and by extension 'the West') into a full out war with Russia and its proxies, killing hundreds of thousands

I will take a lot of Trump being an offensive dickhead and having a silly orange face to avoid those outcomes.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    I missed it, been working so much this week. Who was it?
    A surprisingly difficult question to answer succinctly...
  • If I was to say, did they have a liking for a certain Disney pirate, might I be on the right lines?
    edited June 2020

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    It doesn't let you change your username
    I beg to differ!!
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Who was the most divisive and unprincipled President of the last 100 years?
    ☺ - no PROBLEM to which Trump is the answer.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2020

So a lot of people then.

Her credentials are very good indeed. From the Repository of All Knowledge:

On graduation she joined the management consultancy McKinsey & Company. She went on to work at Kingfisher and Thomas Cook, and then held a variety of senior roles at Tesco. In 2007 she moved to Sainsbury's as convenience store director, and took a seat on the operating board in 2008.

She was named the first CEO of TalkTalk in 2010, when Carphone Warehouse split its telecoms business from its retail operation. She was appointed as a non-executive director on The Court of The Bank of England in July 2014. She has also served on the boards of British Land and Cheltenham Racecourse.

I see that some of the more excitable and partisan posters think she was responsible for the PHE app development That is of note for what it tells you about the more excitable and partisan posters, not for what it tells you about Dido Harding.
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's dying, very slowly.
    I missed it, been working so much this week. Who was it?
    A surprisingly difficult question to answer succinctly...
    A genuine lol!
    edited June 2020

So a lot of people then.

On graduation she joined the management consultancy McKinsey & Company.[9] She went on to work at Kingfisher and Thomas Cook, and then held a variety of senior roles at Tesco. In 2007 she moved to Sainsbury's as convenience store director, and took a seat on the operating board in 2008.

She was named the first CEO of TalkTalk in 2010, when Carphone Warehouse split its telecoms business from its retail operation. She was appointed as a non-executive director on The Court of The Bank of England in July 2014. She has also served on the boards of British Land and Cheltenham Racecourse.

I see that some of the more excitable and partisan posters think she was responsible for the PHE app development That is of note for what it tells you about the more excitable and partisan posters, not about Dido Harding.
    At TalkTalk she oversaw it being hacked by a teenager, its share price tanking and its customer service and public perception in the toilet. Then she ran away.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

There's a rumour going round, could be nonsense of course, of a Prem footballer who refused to take a knee/wear the BLM slogan...

He tweeted how good it was to be back on Tuesday, but didn't get picked on the Wednesday

I'm hearing it's nonsense.
    We could find out tomorrow! The source I heard it from has been a source of nonsense in the past

Whom are these people?

I do like the history of this site and hearing about it but I feel sometimes as though I'll never know or understand it all.
    Roger is a PB hero and Tim was an artist formerly known in another parish as GOsbornGenius!
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What is the difference?

That is infantile.

Keep going.

That is a statement I can live with whilst not really agreeing with it.

For example I thought his "white saviours" point was good and worth thinking about.
    Papal white smoke was an example I'd say, and an example of trying to make excuses instead of just fessing up too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21764636

If I was to say, did they have a liking for a certain Disney pirate, might I be on the right lines?

Not unless I've missed another incarnation.

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Most orange human? Who has the most widely shared nonsensical tweets?
    lol - ok ok Trump is in fact the answer to MILLIONS of questions.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020
    Brazil +50k new cases today. Even the US only touched 40k at peak.
  • Hilary vs Trump? Hilary, quite an easy answer there.
  • If I was to say, did they have a liking for a certain Disney pirate, might I be on the right lines?

Not unless I've missed another incarnation.
    Ah ok, no idea then.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

Ave_it said:

I think you are ok CHB!

No Comrade you are a Centrist
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

So a lot of people then.

On graduation she joined the management consultancy McKinsey & Company.[9] She went on to work at Kingfisher and Thomas Cook, and then held a variety of senior roles at Tesco. In 2007 she moved to Sainsbury's as convenience store director, and took a seat on the operating board in 2008.

I see that some of the more excitable and partisan posters think she was responsible for the PHE app development That is of note for what it tells you about the more excitable and partisan posters, not about Dido Harding.
    At TalkTalk she oversaw it being hacked by a teenager, its share price tanking and its customer service and public perception in the toilet. Then she ran away.
    Many organisations get hacked or suffer cyber attacks, including most notably the NHS. Your point is what exactly?
This discussion has been closed.