Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Washington DC – the capital city where in democratic terms its

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Prediction... if there's another indyref, Boris will not (nor anyone as unpopular as him in Scotland) be PM. I still think Labour PM or wet Tory PM during indyref2 = Scotland rejecting indy again.

Mmm. If Boris falls behind in the polls, what better than sloughing off Scotland for 5 more Tory years?
    If Boris lost Scotland he would go down as the worst PM since Lord North lost the American colonies, not happening.

Scotland makes little difference anyway eg Blair won majorities in England alone in 1997, 2001 and 2005
    Johnson is well down that path already with or without Scotland.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    Scott_xP said:
    It just gets worse and worse ......
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited June 2020
    Libyan terrorist attack. Not random.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Floater said:

eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Sky now reporting that the police saying it is terrorism.

Whoah
    TBH it was looking like it was going to turn out that way
    Indeed. As I said below, 5 people "randomly" stabbed? Doesn't happen, outside extremely unusual psychos

Judging by the video most/all of the victims are white

The key will be whether there is a link, however tenuous, between the perp and BLM. That would be incendiary
    There isn't. It was a Libyan national.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    That’s a good poll for Scots independence.

Scotland should go for it.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    HYUFD said:

At least one Nat actually posting some worthwhile tweets tonight

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1274455168365596672?s=20

It's the only time he has ever said anything worthwhile. He is a *
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Irrelevant as the Tories won in 2019 on a manifesto of no indyref2 for a generation and Sturgeon has accepted there can be no indyref2 without Westminster consent, plus that is only excluding Don't Knows who will likely go No anyway
    If a new Scottish Parliament votes for a new Sindy ref, there are two options for Westminster:
    1) pass the neseecary legislation to authorise it.
    2) refuse the democratic will of the Scottish Parliament, thereby pushing more people to the sense that London does not respect Scotland.

With 1) the referendum will happen sooner, but can be won. With 2) it will happen later, but will certainly be lost. Unionists should support the former.
    Nah, Tories won't care. If the Union is lost it is lost, fuck it. Giving in to the SNP again means they must give in forever, whenever Holyrood cracks its tiny whip, a neverendum must be held

It was a vote for a generation. Agreed by both sides. Tories will say No until they lose power in Westminster.

If Labour wins in 2024 and wants to allow a referendum so be it. Scotland will quite likely vote YES (by your reckoning) and then suddenly Labour are screwed in Westminster

There is no logic guiding the Tories to allow a new indyref
    I can see the logic there and agree with the essence of the argument that a second Referendum is not justified for many years down the line - ie sometime in the 2030s.To take your point a bit further, it might eventually persuade those determined to obtain such a vote to prioritise removing the Tories from Westminster - by voting Labour again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Irrelevant as the Tories won in 2019 on a manifesto of no indyref2 for a generation and Sturgeon has accepted there can be no indyref2 without Westminster consent, plus that is only excluding Don't Knows who will likely go No anyway
    If a new Scottish Parliament votes for a new Sindy ref, there are two options for Westminster:
    2) refuse the democratic will of the Scottish Parliament, thereby pushing more people to the sense that London does not respect Scotland.

With 1) the referendum will happen sooner, but can be won. With 2) it will happen later, but will certainly be lost. Unionists should support the former.
    No, referendums are unpredictable and the 2014 referendum was a 'once in a generation' vote in Salmond's words.

Regardless of what Holyrood votes for there will not be another indyref2 allowed under a Tory government. End of conversation.

Only a Labour government will allow indyref2
    On this you are quite right. There is zero political gain for the Tories in allowing a 2nd indyref before 2024.

If someone can tell me what it is, rather than just blustering, I'd be fascinated.

The idea Boris Johnson (Boris Johnson!) will cave under some "moral pressure" is bizarre.

The SNP have to win big at Holyrood next year, and hope that Starmer wins in 2024, and is weak enough to accede.

That's it. That's the realpolitik. The Scots can jump up and down all they like.
    Absolutely right.

Nats both need a majority at Holyrood next year and a Starmer led government at Westminster in 2024, there will not be any indyref2 in any other circumstance
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Floater said:

eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Whoah
    Indeed. As I said below, 5 people "randomly" stabbed? Doesn't happen, outside extremely unusual psychos

The key will be whether there is a link, however tenuous, between the perp and BLM. That would be incendiary
    There isn't. It was a Libyan national.
    Libyan??

So another jihadi. Just what we needed, not.
    Indeed, it's going to be interesting for the government if the terrorist is a recent arrival at Dover. That suddenly moves up the agenda.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

If Labour is in power after (2), I wouldn't be so sure of that. Best for the thing survival of the union might if be if Boris blocks Indyref 2, but Labour condemns him for it. Boris gets thrown out in 2024, and Labour allow Indyref 2 at that point. If Starmer is seen to be doing a good job as PM, centre-left Scots who voted no last time will not reject him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

eadric said:

lol #CancelYale is trending number 1 in the USA

The Right began it as a joke, the Left has seized on it as a cause

Like the OK hand symbol
    The White Power one?
    Yes. My understanding is that some people on the 4chan website made a joke about making the OK hand symbol racist, and it's now actually considered by a lot of people to be just that.
    Including actual racists.

They have also made the Hawiian shirt a right wing symbol too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT8rB2deD5E
    https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1274123351515152385?s=09
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

No, referendums are unpredictable and the 2014 referendum was a 'once in a generation' vote in Salmond's words.

Regardless of what Holyrood votes for there will not be another indyref2 allowed under a Tory government. End of conversation.

On this you are quite right. There is zero political gain for the Tories in allowing a 2nd indyref before 2024.

If someone can tell me what it is, rather than just blustering, I'd be fascinated.

The idea Boris Johnson (Boris Johnson!) will cave under some "moral pressure" is bizarre.

The SNP have to win big at Holyrood next year, and hope that Starmer wins in 2024, and is weak enough to accede.

That's it. That's the realpolitik. The Scots can jump up and down all they like.
    Absolutely right.

Nats both need a majority at Holyrood next year and a Starmer led government at Westminster in 2024, there will not be any indyref2 in any other circumstance
    Your hubris will be your downfall. Nothing is certain.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Such is the state of the culture wars that many will be disappointed the murders in Reading are not BLM linked.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Refusing Sindyref3 guarantees independence, the only question being the timescale.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Horrible, horrible news from Reading. If it’s the usual pattern, the murderer will be known to authorities, will have spent time in prison, will have been radicalised and will have suffered from mental health problems.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,073

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

Let me try a different way.

Imagine your daughter bringing her new boyfriend to meet you. Dinner at yours. Bell goes, you buzz them in and there he is. He's wearing a tee shirt with -

(i) hammer & sickle and "workers of the world unite!"

(ii) a swastika and "weisser macht!"

Which of these 2 sub optimal scenarios freaks you out the most?

The MOST. So "both" is not an allowable answer.

Its a stupid question. It is the equivalent of asking whether you would like your daughter to be hooked on crack or heroin. The only sane answer is to reject both.
    No it's a very good question. It forces you to weigh up 2 things.

Please try to answer.
    I am not sure it is good question, are both characters deserving of equal contempt.

Boyfriend:

(i) is Wolfie Smith

and:

(ii) is Anders Breivik
    ☺ - Wolfie would not tolerate slaver statues in Tooting that's for sure.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Prediction... if there's another indyref, Boris will not (nor anyone as unpopular as him in Scotland) be PM. I still think Labour PM or wet Tory PM during indyref2 = Scotland rejecting indy again.

Mmm. If Boris falls behind in the polls, what better than sloughing off Scotland for 5 more Tory years?
    If Boris lost Scotland he would go down as the worst PM since Lord North lost the American colonies, not happening.

Scotland makes little difference anyway eg Blair won majorities in England alone in 1997, 2001 and 2005
    Your position is bizarre. Scotland is in a voluntary union of equals with England.

It cannot and must not be kept in the union against its will.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

eadric said:

Like the OK hand symbol
    The White Power one?
    Yes. My understanding is that some people on the 4chan website made a joke about making the OK hand symbol racist, and it's now actually considered by a lot of people to be just that.

Don't those guys look so adequate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020

twitter.com/oliverlaughland/status/1274456863988473856

The US gave up on caring about covid weeks ago. They are going to be top of the league by a bigger margin than Liverpool when this is all over.

You only have to look at the new cases chart, it is heading back up at a fair old rate and now not far sure of the peak of mid April.
  • Options
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Correct. The Scottish need to check it with London. London funds Scotland so that is only right.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

Imagine your daughter bringing her new boyfriend to meet you. Dinner at yours. Bell goes, you buzz them in and there he is. He's wearing a tee shirt with -

Of course the answer is both. Just because a lot of lefties are gullible enough to wear the symbols of totalitarianism and think they're being cool doesn't make their participation in evil any more acceptable than the one with the swastika.

p.s. And it's 'the more' :wink:

Because grammar is the only acceptable form of fascism.
    But which would freak you out the most - or if you like the MORE - of the two?

Either answer or explain why you won't.

It is a serious question not a messing around exercise.
    Mr. Hammer & Sickle is more likely to be middle-class and educated. He is particularly contemptible, because an educated person should know better.

Mr. Swastika is more likely to be working-class and less well-educated. He may possibly have the excuse of ignorance, but he's also more likely to kick my head in if I try to enlighten him.

Wouldn't let either one in the house. Not just because of their deviant ideology, but because T-shirts are simply not acceptable dress at dinner.
    But which one? Put yourself in the position and tell me which of the 2 would make you more uneasy than the other about the impending marriage.

C'mon - gun to head.
    I think I already answered that. Mr. Swastika is probably more physically dangerous to me, but apart from that and the fact that I could possibly mock Mr. H&S about JCR politics, there's nothing in it.

Either way: no date, no wedding, no dice.
    Ok. I must accept your equivalence of antifa to nazism then. If that's what you feel that's what you feel. Surprised.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Your position is bizarre. Scotland is in a voluntary union of equals with England.

It cannot and must not be kept in the union against its will.
    @HYUFD doesn’t care about silly things like “principles”. He only cares about the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    Ave_it said:

HYUFD said:

At least one Nat actually posting some worthwhile tweets tonight

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1274455168365596672?s=20

It's the only time he has ever said anything worthwhile. He is a *
    It would be fine if we could actually go there. Not going to be reading a book on the beach (or hill) at midnight this year...

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

The US gave up on caring about covid weeks ago. They are going to be top of the league by a bigger margin than Liverpool when this is all over.
    Well, I suppose its one way of testing whether Professor Lockdown's 13 year old computer code did actually turn out the right ballpark figure for what happens if there is no social distancing and no lockdown.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Such is the state of the culture wars that many will be disappointed the murders in Reading are not BLM linked.

I'm trying to think what I find more distasteful, your comment or the like.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I don't think Southam is wrong or in that group of people, merely making an observation.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Refusing Sindyref3 guarantees independence, the only question being the timescale.
    I am not persuaded that there is a burning desire for a further Referendum in the near future even by many Yes voters responding to pollsters.The recent rise in the polls probably reflects much greater satisfaction with Sturgeon's performance v Johnson in relation to the Covid19 crisis , but by the end of the year and into 2021 the likely painful reality of a deep recession might well lead to a more sobre view prevailing.
    I would also suggest that the turnout level at the 2021 Holyrood election will be important. If people really are steamed up on the Independence issue, we should expect to see a good 70% - 75% actually turning up at the polls. On the other hand, an SNP win on a 45% - 50% - or even 55% turnout might reasonably be seen as lacking the legitimacy to override the clear 2014 Referendum result achieved on a near 85% turnout.
  • Options
    The PB Tories seem to occupy these positions simultaneously:

1. They don’t give a toss about Scotland
    2. They believe an Indy ref would be lost
    3. They oppose an Indy ref at all costs

Funny old world.

G’night.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

Incidentally, I don't see a hypothetical future PM Starmer (with a wafer thin majority) allowing a Scottish indy ref, either. And nor would he want to agree to a coalition or C&S deal with SNP on the same terms.

Why? Because there a few ways back to a future hypothetical decent Labour majority govt without some Scottish Labour seats...

And, such is the toxic nature of the 'Labour supported by the SNP' idea in English marginals, any entertainment of the idea pre-election all but guarantees him losing.
  • Options
    eadric said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

No, you are comparing the most extreme right wing - Nazi Germany - with a generic form of Marxism. This is a false comparison.

If my daughter came in with a man wearing a Pol Pot tee shirt, who calmly told me he indeed wants to murder all the bourgeoisie and smash their babies against trees, I might be even more alarmed by him than I am by the pathetic guy wearing the swastika
    But that's dragging Pol Pot back in again. We'd just got rid of him from the discussion.

Anyway you have implicitly answered. You'd far rather pass the salt to a misguided far lefty than a brutal neanderthal white supremacist.

It's good to hear.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Floater said:

There are clearly people on here gagging for it to have been the case. Wanking themselves silly over the idea of a race war
  • Options

Funny old world.

G’night.

We care about Scotland cos England subsidises Scotland 100%!

Hopefully see you tomorrow too goodnight.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

I don't think Southam is wrong or in that group of people, merely making an observation.
    I agree. Sadly there will be another group lamenting it wasn't a pissed up fan of Yaxley-lennon.
    Not nice. But true.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited June 2020
    Deleted
  • Options

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

eadric said:

Like the OK hand symbol
    The White Power one?

Inadequates with automatic weapons are a very dangerous thing, as any number of school shootings show.
  • Options

Funny old world.

G’night.

I am English, with Welsh and Northern Irish ancestry. But Scotland still feels like home to me. One of my closest friends, and my Godson, live there.

I would be absolutely heartbroken to see the Union broken.

I don't think an Indy ref would be lost

But equally I don't think one is necessary. The majority of Scotland spoke, and that must be honoured.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

Of course the answer is both. Just because a lot of lefties are gullible enough to wear the symbols of totalitarianism and think they're being cool doesn't make their participation in evil any more acceptable than the one with the swastika.

p.s. And it's 'the more' :wink:

Because grammar is the only acceptable form of fascism.
    But which would freak you out the most - or if you like the MORE - of the two?

Either answer or explain why you won't.

It is a serious question not a messing around exercise.
    Mr. Hammer & Sickle is more likely to be middle-class and educated. He is particularly contemptible, because an educated person should know better.

Mr. Swastika is more likely to be working-class and less well-educated. He may possibly have the excuse of ignorance, but he's also more likely to kick my head in if I try to enlighten him.

Wouldn't let either one in the house. Not just because of their deviant ideology, but because T-shirts are simply not acceptable dress at dinner.
    But which one? Put yourself in the position and tell me which of the 2 would make you more uneasy than the other about the impending marriage.

C'mon - gun to head.
    I think I already answered that. Mr. Swastika is probably more physically dangerous to me, but apart from that and the fact that I could possibly mock Mr. H&S about JCR politics, there's nothing in it.

Ok. I must accept your equivalence of antifa to nazism then. If that's what you feel that's what you feel. Surprised.
    Don't be. I don't trouble myself to make fine intellectual distinctions between thick twats who want to destroy everything they don't like - the ultimate consequences of both their creeds are plain to read in the history books. 'Anti-Fa' is little more than clever marketing for 'Pro-Marx'. Sod them all.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

No, you are comparing the most extreme right wing - Nazi Germany - with a generic form of Marxism. This is a false comparison.

If my daughter came in with a man wearing a Pol Pot tee shirt, who calmly told me he indeed wants to murder all the bourgeoisie and smash their babies against trees, I might be even more alarmed by him than I am by the pathetic guy wearing the swastika
    But that's dragging Pol Pot back in again. We'd just got rid of him from the discussion.

Anyway you have implicitly answered. You'd far rather pass the salt to a misguided far lefty than a brutal neanderthal white supremacist.

It's good to hear.
    The Communist has better prospects. In 20 years time he'll be writing articles, chairing inquiries and advising the Tory government.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

What is certain is the Tories have a majority of 80 and there can be no indyref2 without UK government consent
  • Options
    The SNP winning a large share of the vote doesn't seem to be enough to indicate independence yet the Tories winning 40% of the vote seems to be an indication that the whole country now supports Brexit. Odd.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,290
    Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

I am English, with Welsh and Northern Irish ancestry. But Scotland still feels like home to me. One of my closest friends, and my Godson, live there.

But equally I don't think one is necessary. The majority of Scotland spoke, and that must be honoured.
    By not letting them speak again ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, weakly giving in to the SNP at every opportunity is what will guarantee independence, you do not stop a crocodile's appetite by endlessly feeding its every desire, it will always want more.

2014 was a once in a generation referendum
  • Options

The SNP winning a large share of the vote doesn't seem to be enough to indicate independence yet the Tories winning 40% of the vote seems to be an indication that the whole country now supports Brexit. Odd.

No, those conclusions are indicated by the fact that a majority of the UK population voted for Brexit, and a majority of Scots voted against independence. Because that's how those things were actually decided.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

What is certain is the Tories have a majority of 80 and there can be no indyref2 without UK government consent
    Incorrect. That is far from certain. You’re proving my point about your hubris.

This is not a game.
  • Options

Tee Hee CHB

We won the election through democratic principles established since 1215. We had a clear Brexit policy. Your lot who had no clear Brexit policy lost. again. 😀
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

All it takes is one footballer to force this government to change its mind.
  • Options
    Heading for several hours in an indoor arena, where they will spend the time shouting and cheering.

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1274464272299356160
  • Options

You do not get to choose your daughter's husband. Her husband is her choice.

This is a particularly silly thought experiment about choosing between a Nazi and a communist for a son-in-law (not one I created), and that's the angle you have the most difficulty with?

If her choice is a totalitarian and she expects to inherit, I would gently persuade her to reconsider...
    It wasn't silly. I was genuinely trying to get at something. And I almost did.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

You only have to look at the new cases chart, it is heading back up at a fair old rate and now not far sure of the peak of mid April.
    It varies on a state by state basis. California has been tightening mask wearing rules, even as it slowly opens things like beaches and outdoor seating at restaurants.

Arizona opened completely, but has started shutting down again.

What's scary is that there is a far from zero chance that someone, or some people, who go to the Tulsa really will die of CV-19.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

They can speak as soon as the people demanding another referendum learn to use a dictionary and explain how a generation now means 4 years.

Did the SNP think we meant hamster generations?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, weakly giving in to the SNP at every opportunity is what will guarantee independence, you do not stop a crocodile's appetite by endlessly feeding its every desire, it will always want more.

Why would you want to keep Scotland in the UK if a clear majority of Scots want to leave?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Why would you want to keep Scotland in the UK if a clear majority of Scots want to leave?
    Given the only vote that matters, an actual referendum, showed a clear majority wanted to stay, why do you want to break up the Union?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

They don't, 55% of Scots voted to stay in the UK in 2014 in a 'once in a generation referendum' which meant precisely that!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:

It varies on a state by state basis. California has been tightening mask wearing rules, even as it slowly opens things like beaches and outdoor seating at restaurants.

What's scary is that there is a far from zero chance that someone, or some people, who go to the Tulsa really will die of CV-19.
    Same with the BLM rallies. Outside or inside, mask or not, standing together with 10,000s of people shouting and screaming for hours on end, its insanity.

I bet the Chinese are showing all this and laughing at the moronic Wests handling. Massive propaganda boost for the party.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Given the only vote that matters, an actual referendum, showed a clear majority wanted to stay, why do you want to break up the Union?
    Didn't you promise that no was a vote for EU membership?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    EPG said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Was that on the ballot paper?

Didn't yes promise oil wealth? But that wasn't on the ballot paper either.

Events, dear boy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

This is not a game.
    The Tories have a majority of 80, that is certain, Scots voted No to independence in 2014, that is certain, there can be no indyref without central government approval, as Madrid has proved in Catalonia.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,761

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

They can speak as soon as the people demanding another referendum learn to use a dictionary and explain how a generation now means 4 years.

I'm not Scottish, but I think they probably thought that voting to stay in the EU meant that they would stay in the EU
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Same with the BLM rallies. Outside or inside, mask or not, standing together with 10,000s of people shouting and screaming for hours on end, its insanity...
    I wouldn’t choose to participate in either, but there is little doubt which is the more likely to provide an environment for virus spread.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I see 1000 people at that German meat processing plant have now tested positive. Covid certainly loves those places.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

The vote to remain was to remain in the single market as well as the union.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Same with the BLM rallies. Outside or inside, mask or not, standing together with 10,000s of people shouting and screaming for hours on end, its insanity.

I bet the Chinese are showing all this and laughing at the moronic Wests handling. Massive propaganda boost for the party.
    It was the Chinese who created it in the first place and having infuriated India this week having already annoyed the West they are increasingly isolating themselves
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The other relevant factor that I think helps to explain why Washington DC hasn't been considered worthy of having voting representation in Congress is that the majority of its population is Black. I believe that DC does have a member of Congress but they can't vote - when we lived there it was Eleanor Holmes Norton IIRC who was excellent. It's a fantastic city with some beautiful neighbourhoods. It's an absolute disgrace that its population is disenfranchised.

Isn't it more to do with the fact it would add two Democratic senators to the senate rather than race?
    Unfortunately, with blacks overwhelmingly voting Democrat, you can't split the two.

Virtually everything in America has a racial component, to an extent baffling to us, though we're starting to see glimpses of it here.
    Following the Civil War it was the Democrats who were the party of the South and strongly anti equality. The KKK was largely a Democrat organisation. At that time it was the Republicans who were the party of civil rights and equality as well as general liberalisation.

It is an interesting question about when it all changed. Not one I know the answer to. Does anyone on here know when the transformation happened?
    The Civil Rights Act in the 1960.

LBJ said he had cost the Democrats the South for a generation.

A lot of hard right of the GOP are former Dems who switched sides around that time.
    Wow I hadn't realised it was that recent (relatively as I know I am showing my age here thinking the 60s is recent)
    There's an argument that it may have happened in the 1940s when President Truman desegregated the armed forces.

Dem Strom Thurmond stood on a States' Right platform in the 1948 election and Truman really pissed off the South by espousing end of Jim Crow.

By 1964 Thurmond switched parties and joined the GOP.
    Truman remains my all time favourite US President
    Toss up between LBJ and Bill for me.
    I base mine on both his actions and his own personal ideals. It is not just about the huge steps he took regarding civil rights, nor his foresight in backing the the Marshall plan and setting up both NATO and the UN.

It is about the fact that he viewed his position as President as an honour and a duty and not something for personal gain. So when he finished as President he went back to his Mother in Laws house and refused every position offered to him, every endorsement and every board room seat on the grounds that they only wanted him because he had been President. He felt that accepting any of the positions would be cashing in on his duty.

A good man old Harry S.
    The H bomb? Does that not cloud his legacy iyo?
  • Options

I see 1000 people at that German meat processing plant have now tested positive. Covid certainly loves those places.

I'm guessing they're cold?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

That argument became redundant with the Brexit vote.
    Democratic consent is not parsed like that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I would say it’s pretty well certain given current infection rates.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

I hope soothing the sentimental feelings of English Tories is right at the front of Better Together II.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm guessing they're cold?
    I think the theory is they are cold, they are loud and people work closely to one another.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Mortimer said:

Was "Once in a generation" on the ballot paper?

• Options
    The Brexit vote reset the clock on the Scotland referendum. There is a new constitutional settlement, the Scots deserve their say.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

I hope soothing the sentimental feelings of English Tories is right at the front of Better Together II.
    2044ish?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Nigelb said:

Trump’s 3-Point Plan to Win in 2020
    He will attack the independence and integrity of the legal system, try to benefit from foreign help, and benefit from voting obstacles.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/trumps-3-point-plan-to-win-in-2020/613318/

Which is why he mustn't win.
    "If Trump loses the election in November, he faces terrible legal exposure and financial trouble. Trump must win to survive, and in the face of low approval and high unemployment, he is unlikely to win if the vote is fair.

The impending chaos in Kentucky, following the chaos in Georgia earlier in June, shows the way to skew the vote. In Georgia, the lines were longest in heavily black areas near Atlanta. In an election suddenly dependent on mail-in voting, the once-obscure question of postage on absentee ballots suddenly matters a great deal."
    They may be able to save some GOP senators that way but they can't save Trump, states with Dem governors add up to a majority in the electoral college.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    eadric said:

Floater said:

eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Whoah

The only thing I would say is I hope the person responsible hadn't just been granted early release from prison.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

This is not a game.
    The Tories have a majority of 80, that is certain, Scots voted No to independence in 2014, that is certain, there can be no indyref without central government approval, as Madrid has proved in Catalonia.
    Nope. Completely wrong as usual.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Jonathan said:

The Brexit vote reset the clock on the Scotland referendum. There is a new constitutional settlement, the Scots deserve their say.

In the view of Labour supporters but we have a Tory majority government that respects the 2014 No vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

In the view of Labour supporters but we have a Tory majority government
    One footballer is all it takes.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Same with the BLM rallies. Outside or inside, mask or not, standing together with 10,000s of people shouting and screaming for hours on end, its insanity...
    I wouldn’t choose to participate in either, but there is little doubt which is the more likely to provide an environment for virus spread.
    I am not convinced there is much difference. Normal Outside != stood for hours rammed together in a massive crowd shouting and coughing your lungs up because of all the tear gas / smoke bombs e.g. we know there was definitely super spreading at the Italian football match.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

It was the Chinese who created it in the first place and having infuriated India this week having already annoyed the West they are increasingly isolating themselves
    Didn't realise you were a virologist as well.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

I'm not Scottish, but I think they probably thought that voting to stay in the EU meant that they would stay in the EU
    Please show me where the single market, or EU membership, or anything else whatsoever was mentioned on the Indyref ballot paper other than the question of remaining in or leaving the Union.

I'm quite serious. The referendum was legally binding, and its terms were agreed by mutual consent. If the vote had gone the other way and independence had turned out to be a crock of shit, would the SNP now be conceding a Rejoin referendum in 2020? No. effing. way.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

My wife's family are all Northern Scots and I have lived in Scotland, got married there, and love the Country and its people with a passion

Forget HYUFD nonsense, if the SNP win next May indy2 should be granted as there is no moral or democratic way of stopping it

However, my wife and I are unionists and for many reasons, not least economic and a hard border at Berwick, I simply do not believe in the end the Scots will vote to leave the union
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

This is not a game.
    Do you think there will be an Indyref not granted by Westminster? I mean, its literally a reserved power...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Mortimer said:

EPG said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't yes promise oil wealth? But that wasn't on the ballot paper either.

Events, dear boy.
    If events are good for the goose, they're good for the gander.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    Starmer's doing extremely well but he isn't denting the Tory share much, 44% compared to 45% at the election.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

My wife's family are all Northern Scots and I have lived in Scotland, got married there, and love the Country and its people with a passion

Forget HYUFD nonsense, if the SNP win next May indy2 should be granted as there is no moral or democratic way of stopping it

However, my wife and I are unionists and for many reasons, not least economic and a hard border at Berwick, I simply do not believe in the end the Scots will vote to leave the union
    How is there a moral or democratic case?

People vote for constitutional issues in a referendum. The result was given.

They vote for the party to govern on devolved issues at Holyrood in Holyrood elections.

The two are mutually exclusive, however the nationalists want to play it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

The other relevant factor that I think helps to explain why Washington DC hasn't been considered worthy of having voting representation in Congress is that the majority of its population is Black. I believe that DC does have a member of Congress but they can't vote - when we lived there it was Eleanor Holmes Norton IIRC who was excellent. It's a fantastic city with some beautiful neighbourhoods. It's an absolute disgrace that its population is disenfranchised.

Isn't it more to do with the fact it would add two Democratic senators to the senate rather than race?
    Unfortunately, with blacks overwhelmingly voting Democrat, you can't split the two.

Virtually everything in America has a racial component, to an extent baffling to us, though we're starting to see glimpses of it here.
    Following the Civil War it was the Democrats who were the party of the South and strongly anti equality. The KKK was largely a Democrat organisation. At that time it was the Republicans who were the party of civil rights and equality as well as general liberalisation.

It is an interesting question about when it all changed. Not one I know the answer to. Does anyone on here know when the transformation happened?
    The Civil Rights Act in the 1960.

LBJ said he had cost the Democrats the South for a generation.

A lot of hard right of the GOP are former Dems who switched sides around that time.
    Wow I hadn't realised it was that recent (relatively as I know I am showing my age here thinking the 60s is recent)
    There's an argument that it may have happened in the 1940s when President Truman desegregated the armed forces.

Dem Strom Thurmond stood on a States' Right platform in the 1948 election and Truman really pissed off the South by espousing end of Jim Crow.

By 1964 Thurmond switched parties and joined the GOP.
    Truman remains my all time favourite US President
    Toss up between LBJ and Bill for me.
    I base mine on both his actions and his own personal ideals. It is not just about the huge steps he took regarding civil rights, nor his foresight in backing the the Marshall plan and setting up both NATO and the UN.

It is about the fact that he viewed his position as President as an honour and a duty and not something for personal gain. So when he finished as President he went back to his Mother in Laws house and refused every position offered to him, every endorsement and every board room seat on the grounds that they only wanted him because he had been President. He felt that accepting any of the positions would be cashing in on his duty.

A good man old Harry S.
    The H bomb? Does that not cloud his legacy iyo?
    He was an excellent sheriff in Twin Peaks though.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Foxy said:

CatMan said:

eadric said:

Like the OK hand symbol
    The White Power one?

"Making America Great Again" personified.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Starmer's doing extremely well but he isn't denting the Tory share much, 44% compared to 45% at the election.
    Not yet but you'd be mad to conclude he hasn't been the most effective leader for a very long time.

He's reduced the gap from 20 points to about 4 in a month.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

This is not a game.
    Do you think there will be an Indyref not granted by Westminster? I mean, its literally a reserved power...
    Nobody knows how the future is going to pan out. Everything is merely a guess based on probabilities.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Not yet but you'd be mad to conclude he hasn't been the most effective leader for a very long time.

EdM managed polling leads. Heck, even Corbyn did....
  • Options
    That will help in 2024 when LAB lose again!

😀😀😀
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Exactly. A large part (not the only part, but a large part) of the Unionist win was because of the fear (that the Unionist campaign promoted) that a vote for Scottish independence would mean that Scotland wouldn't be in the EU. Scotland actually being forced to leave the EU 2 years later against their will makes any commitments the pro independence force made based on that belief invalid.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely right.

This is not a game.
    Nobody knows how the future is going to pan out. Everything is merely a guess based on probabilities.
    I mean, that statement is of course accurate.

It doesn't relate to the constitutionality of an independence vote, however....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

My view on this is quite simple, if a majority of Scots vote for pro Indy parties, I don't see how you can conclude Independence isn't something to be considered.

Forget all this once in a lifetime stuff, if a party offers something and they keep winning on it, they surely must be allowed to implement it.

Like I said before, Brexit is now the settled will despite the majority of the country voting against it in 2019. Of course PB Tories ignore that conveniently.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

@eadric and ilk

It's good to hear.
    The Communist has better prospects. In 20 years time he'll be writing articles, chairing inquiries and advising the Tory government.
    But it wont stop him being a twat, and who wants one of those for a son in law
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Andy_JS said:

You're making me repeat myself...

By this time after the 2010 GE, Labour had crossed over to a lead in the rolling average of all opinion polls. They held that lead for over 4 years, and on several occasions during the 2010-2015 Parliament, Ed Miliband's Labour outpolled David Cameron's Tories by as much as 15%.

Ed Miliband is now a professional reviewer of Labour post-defeat analyses.
This discussion has been closed.