Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Washington DC – the capital city where in democratic terms its

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Polling doesn't matter much six months into a big majority government - EXCEPT in so far as it confirms that one side is acquitting itself well, and the other is doing a little worse. So it only comprises a rejection of the idea that the government is prima facie doing well. Obviously it hasn't helped that BJ mostly vanished since catching the corona. That hasn't helped but is it due to medical unfitness or taking too much political heat?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Mortimer said:

I see 1000 people at that German meat processing plant have now tested positive. Covid certainly loves those places.

I'm guessing they're cold?
    I think the theory is they are cold, they are loud and people work closely to one another.
    I'm wondering how many are Eastern europeans living in multiple occupancy housing?

Although it clearly spreads in the factory, that might not be the only issue.
    Given that meat processing plants have been major infection vectors in the UK and the US as well, that's unlikely to be the biggest factor. (And you would also expect far higher concentrations in places like London if that was the major driver of transmission.)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited June 2020
    Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

The PB Tories seem to occupy these positions simultaneously:

1. They don’t give a toss about Scotland
    2. They believe an Indy ref would be lost
    3. They oppose an Indy ref at all costs

Funny old world.

G’night.

I am English, with Welsh and Northern Irish ancestry. But Scotland still feels like home to me. One of my closest friends, and my Godson, live there.

I would be absolutely heartbroken to see the Union broken.

I don't think an Indy ref would be lost

But equally I don't think one is necessary. The majority of Scotland spoke, and that must be honoured.
    By not letting them speak again ?
    My wife's family are all Northern Scots and I have lived in Scotland, got married there, and love the Country and its people with a passion

Forget HYUFD nonsense, if the SNP win next May indy2 should be granted as there is no moral or democratic way of stopping it

However, my wife and I are unionists and for many reasons, not least economic and a hard border at Berwick, I simply do not believe in the end the Scots will vote to leave the union
    Of course there is. the Tories won a majority of 80 on a manifesto commitment of no indyref2 for a generation.

Tory MPs will not allow it therefore
    It's not "if the SNP win" next May; it's if there's a pro-indyref2 majority of either seats or votes - i.e. for SNP plus Greens. Then the British government will have to (and should) allow a second indyref2. In those circumstances I cannot believe they would be so stupid as to try to stop one.

"England won't let us do stuff" only plays into the hands of the nats. The nats would absolutely LOVE it if Boris Johnson were to wave the Tory manifesto and say you can shove your request for a referendum. If he has got any sense he will make the position clear as above. If any diehards say "But the manifesto" he can just say they're interpreting it wrong. And then, guess what, there probably won't be a pro-indyref2 majority anyway.
    I could not care less what the Nats want, they will not be getting indyref2 granted under a Tory government, Tory MPs will vote it down. End of conversation.

If they want indyref2 they will have to get a Labour government regardless of what happens at Holyrood next year
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    “She is not in line with what we believe in!”

https://twitter.com/lbcnews/status/1274337090629767168?s=21
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

I am English, with Welsh and Northern Irish ancestry. But Scotland still feels like home to me. One of my closest friends, and my Godson, live there.

But equally I don't think one is necessary. The majority of Scotland spoke, and that must be honoured.
    My wife's family are all Northern Scots and I have lived in Scotland, got married there, and love the Country and its people with a passion

Forget HYUFD nonsense, if the SNP win next May indy2 should be granted as there is no moral or democratic way of stopping it

However, my wife and I are unionists and for many reasons, not least economic and a hard border at Berwick, I simply do not believe in the end the Scots will vote to leave the union
    Of course there is. the Tories won a majority of 80 on a manifesto commitment of no indyref2 for a generation.

It's not "if the SNP win" next May; it's if there's a pro-indyref2 majority of either seats or votes - i.e. for SNP plus Greens. Then the British government will have to (and should) allow a second indyref2. In those circumstances I cannot believe they would be so stupid as to try to stop one.

"England won't let us do stuff" only plays into the hands of the nats. The nats would absolutely LOVE it if Boris Johnson were to wave the Tory manifesto and say you can shove your request for a referendum. If he has got any sense he will make the position clear as above. If any diehards say "But the manifesto" he can just say they're interpreting it wrong. And then, guess what, there probably won't be a pro-indyref2 majority anyway.
    I could not care less what the Nats want, they will not be getting indyref2 granted under a Tory government, Tory MPs will vote it down. End of conversation.

If they want indyref2 they will have to get a Labour government regardless of what happens at Holyrood next year
    There is an argument that they don’t actually need Westminster to vote to allow the Scottish government to hold a referendum.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited June 2020
    Trump takes the stage in Tulsa. The place is not full. Very few are wearing masks
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

There is an argument that they don’t actually need Westminster to vote to allow the Scottish government to hold a referendum.
    They could of course hold an illegal referendum or declare UDI but as Madrid showed in Catalonia that will not end well.

However Sturgeon has said she will only act with Westminster consent anyway
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

They could of course hold an illegal referendum or declare UDI but as Madrid showed in Catalonia that will not end well.

Do give over on your jackboot fantasies, if they hold udi and the tories did that they would find their poll lead plummeting because most british people would abhor such actions and most british people dont really care if scotland stays or goes so the only thing would matter is your police thug actions
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

Do give over on your jackboot fantasies, if they hold udi and the tories did that they would find their poll lead plummeting because most british people would abhor such actions and most british people dont really care if scotland stays or goes so the only thing would matter is your police thug actions
    Most Tory supporters would fully support firm action being taken against an illegal Nat referendum actually, especially Tories in Scotland.

As long as there remains a Tory majority it is Tory supporters views that count most
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

Most Tory supporters would fully support firm action being taken against an illegal Nat referendum actually, especially in Scotland
    Most tory part members might well thats what 100k. Go on try it see what happens the british electorate doesnt like authoritarians which is why many naturally leaning tory voters like me won't vote for you. Add thuggery in and they will desert you in droves
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

Most Tory supporters would fully support firm action being taken against an illegal Nat referendum actually, especially in Scotland
    Most tory part members might well thats what 100k. Go on try it see what happens the british electorate doesnt like authoritarians which is why many naturally leaning tory voters like me won't vote for you. Add thuggery in and they will desert you in droves
    The Tories won a majority of 80 on a manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and oppose indyref2, they will deliver that mandate their voters gave them and frankly what you think on this is irrelevant.

As you have said you did not even vote Tory last year but the Tories won a majority anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

The Tories won a majority of 80 on a manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and oppose indyref2, they will deliver that mandate their voters gave them and frankly what you think on this is irrelevant
    If they do to scotland what madrid to catalonia you can forget ever being in power again. Where did I say they didnt have a mandate for brexit? They certainly however dont have a mandate for sending armed thugs into to suppress udi which is much different to opposing indy ref 2
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

The Tories won a majority of 80 on a manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and oppose indyref2, they will deliver that mandate their voters gave them and frankly what you think on this is irrelevant
    If they do to scotland what madrid to catalonia you can forget ever being in power again. Where did I say they didnt have a mandate for brexit? They certainly however dont have a mandate for sending armed thugs into to suppress udi which is much different to opposing indy ref 2
    They do, they have a mandate to implement their manifesto commitment to block indyref2 for a generation using whatever means necessary to do so
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

They do, they have a mandate to implement their manifesto commitment to block indyref2 for a generation using whatever means necessary to do so
    UDI is not indy ref 2 go on try I dare you and forget being a force in politics because you will rightly hated as will any party that uses thuggery to suppress people
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

"MEGA!!"
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

UDI is not indy ref 2 go on try I dare you and forget being a force in politics because you will rightly hated as will any party that uses thuggery to suppress people
    UDI would be a direct attempt to override the 55% No vote in the 'once in a generation' referendum of 2014 without a second referendum at all.

The Popular Party is still fully alive and kicking in Spain despite blocking the Catalan nationalists
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Trump just admitted he deliberately slowed covid testing to reduce the number of cases.

Guess that's going in the next Biden advert.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

UDI would be a direct attempt to override the 55% No vote in the 'once in a generation' referendum of 2014 without a second referendum at all.

The Popular Party is still fully alive and kicking in Spain despite blocking the Catalan nationalists
    We aren't spain and you underestimate how much contempt many current conservative voters have for your party. Many held their nose last time because of Corbyn. Frankly if the scots do udi and johnson sent thugs in like madrid did a lot of ex voters would vote for anyone to get you out as would a lot of voters that voted reluctantly for you in 2019.

I repeat I dare you to if they call UDI. I suspect however Johnson et al are wiser than you and will let it happen because they aren't a zealot like you
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

We aren't spain and you underestimate how much contempt many current conservative voters have for your party. Many held their nose last time because of Corbyn. Frankly if the scots do udi and johnson sent thugs in like madrid did a lot of ex voters would vote for anyone to get you out as would a lot of voters that voted reluctantly for you in 2019.

I repeat I dare you to if they call UDI. I suspect however Johnson et al are wiser than you and will let it happen because they aren't a zealot like you
    The Tories are on 44% with Opinium tonight, frankly what you think is utterly irrelevant you are no longer a Tory as far as I am concerned and do not speak for Tory voters.

The Tories have a majority of 80 and Tory MPs will of course block any illegal Nat referendum or UDI to break up the UK and it would be absurd to think they would do otherwise. If you wish to whine about that all to the good, we don't want you in the party now anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

The Tories are on 44% with Opinium tonight, frankly what you think is utterly irrelevant you are no longer a Tory as far as I am concerned and do not speak for Tory voters.

The Tories have a majority of 80 and Tory MPs will of course block any illegal Nat referendum or UDI to break up the UK and it would be absurd to think they would do otherwise. If you wish to whine about that all to the good, we don't want you in the party now anyway
    I was never in your party neither would i join a party that would have you as a member
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surrey said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

Funny old world.

G’night.

You seem to mistake people voting tory in 2019 for people actually liking you. Go try your idiocy and you will get your comeuppance in 24
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    Trump has just referred to "paddy wagons" again - and not for the first or even the second time in his short political career. This info is from Oklahomawatch.org, who are "live-tweeting" about his speech. To judge from what they've posted, he's losing this - big time. It's totally pathetic to see an incumbent fight an election on him being great and his opponents being wicked. Trump doesn't drink alcohol but he sounds like a late middle-aged drunk shouting out boasts and accusations.
  • Options
    Some of Trump's audience are leaving before he has even finished. "Finished" is the word.

https://twitter.com/keaton__ross/status/1274520278106849281
  • Options
    At the end of March he boasted about the scale of testing and said the country would go "even faster" in the days ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4mTVsOp8w

It's all ratings to him. He practically admits it. I hope those who have come into contact with his own infected staffers have been quarantined just as anybody else would be.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited June 2020
    [Housing Secretary] Robert Jenrick watched a promotional video for a £1bn housing development on media mogul Richard Desmond’s personal mobile phone [at a Conservative Party fundraising dinner] weeks before overruling his officials and approving the scheme.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/robert-jenrick-watched-housing-promo-video-on-richard-desmonds-phone-bqb0s8kz2 (£££)

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Surrey said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Irrelevant as the Tories won in 2019 on a manifesto of no indyref2 for a generation and Sturgeon has accepted there can be no indyref2 without Westminster consent, plus that is only excluding Don't Knows who will likely go No anyway
    If a new Scottish Parliament votes for a new Sindy ref, there are two options for Westminster:
    1) pass the neseecary legislation to authorise it.
    2) refuse the democratic will of the Scottish Parliament, thereby pushing more people to the sense that London does not respect Scotland.

With 1) the referendum will happen sooner, but can be won. With 2) it will happen later, but will certainly be lost. Unionists should support the former.
    No, referendums are unpredictable and the 2014 referendum was a 'once in a generation' vote in Salmond's words.

Regardless of what Holyrood votes for there will not be another indyref2 allowed under a Tory government. End of conversation.

Only a Labour government will allow indyref2
    On this you are quite right. There is zero political gain for the Tories in allowing a 2nd indyref before 2024.

If someone can tell me what it is, rather than just blustering, I'd be fascinated.

The idea Boris Johnson (Boris Johnson!) will cave under some "moral pressure" is bizarre.

The SNP have to win big at Holyrood next year, and hope that Starmer wins in 2024, and is weak enough to accede.

That's it. That's the realpolitik. The Scots can jump up and down all they like.
    Absolutely right.

Nats both need a majority at Holyrood next year and a Starmer led government at Westminster in 2024, there will not be any indyref2 in any other circumstance
    Your hubris will be your downfall. Nothing is certain.
    What is certain is the Tories have a majority of 80 and there can be no indyref2 without UK government consent
    Incorrect. That is far from certain. You’re proving my point about your hubris.

This is not a game.
    The Tories have a majority of 80, that is certain, Scots voted No to independence in 2014, that is certain, there can be no indyref without central government approval, as Madrid has proved in Catalonia.
    Nope. Completely wrong as usual.
    Do you think there will be an Indyref not granted by Westminster? I mean, its literally a reserved power...
    The real danger is the SNP will call their own ballot if Westminster does not agree to indy2 and likely due to that refusal that ballot would provide a big majority in favour of leaving the union

But NO voters would boycott such a vote and deprive it of legitimacy.
    I can't picture the nutters who refer to Nicola Sturgeon as "Brigadier Sturgeon" meekly standing in line to vote in a wildcat independence referendum.
    @Surrey
    Who are these nutters, never in my life heard anyone call her that , assume it is just your usual southern arsehole voicing on matters they know nothing about, unable to communicate better than a 10 year old they just hurl juvenile insults.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    With respect to the various debates about Scotland overnight there seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding from our most fervent Unionist Party rampers about the Union. Scotland did not join England, was not subjugated by England, is not under the control of England.

The union was two equal powers joining to form a new Union of which the two powers would be joined. Scotland retains its own separate legal system. The idea that one partner- England - can stop the other partner from dissolving the Union is to suggest that the EU should have been able to stop the UK from leaving. Whilst I support the Union it is not up to me in England to tell Scotland what to do.

That various PB Conservative and Unionists don't understand the Union is telling.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

This is incredible but how did all those teenagers manage to keep this a secret?

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1274484153963016193

That is very funny.
    Who knew K-Pop fans wielded so much political power ?
This discussion has been closed.