Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final Bown-funded constituencty polls are out tonight –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final Bown-funded constituencty polls are out tonight – perhaps they’ll give us pointer to which Farage will choose

My guess is that Farage will opt for one of the Kent seats where he has roots. We had a Thanet South poll three weeks back which looked promising for him. Maybe one of the latest batch of polls will tell us more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Afternoon all :)

The problem for Farage is that as soon as he goes public with an "intention" to fight a particular constituency, you can be sure the other party organisations (notably the Conservatives) will ramp up the activity.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Ok, I'll have another comment. We'll then see if the UKIP ground game is up to that of the Conservatives in terms of resources and ideas.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I'll lay Barnsley Central at 1-250 Thankyou very much !
  • Options
    "What’s clear is that the sooner he’s in place as a candidate the better the chance he’ll have"

I'm not so sure. If he isn't going for South Thanet, there's something to be said for preserving the element of surprise. What he really needs is an local energetic UKIP organisation (which it sounds like he's got in a fair few seats) up against a dozy, depleted Tory association that hasn't fought a contested election since 1945 and won't know what hit them. Once the Tories know where he's standing they'll send in the cavalry.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited December 2013
    stodge said:

The problem for Farage is that as soon as he goes public with an "intention" to fight a particular constituency, you can be sure the other party organisations (notably the Conservatives) will ramp up the activity.

Why on earth do you think that would be a problem? Farage wants them to start posturing on the EU and immigration. Idiot tory backbenchers and the incompetent fop Cammie seem only too happy to oblige him even after the May local elections debacle proved just how stupid a 'master strategy' that was for the tories.
    Gareth Thomas MP ‏@GarethThomasMP 4h

Tory divisions on Europe = Immigration Bill headache for Cameron who voted for Bulgaria & Romania to join EU http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2013/12/trouble-at-tmills.html
    The tories can never outkip the kippers. Simple as that.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    edmundintokyo said:

» show previous quotes
    Well, this is my point. You couldn't get the conclusion Avery wants ("spot the Labour government") from these numbers even if the trends supported it, which they don't, which is why he posted some subset of the actual numbers - local authority builds, which have basically been none since the early 90s - instead.

Surely the point is from 1997-2010 we had a labour government with massive majorities who could do what it liked. Why then were social housing completions in 1995-96 the last year of a tory led government higher than any year of the 13 years of a labour government. How mad is that, is that what labour is about? What is also interesting is that in the first full year of this coalition government (2011-2012) the social housing completions were also higher than any year under labour. Why should anyone believe what Labour say on housing with this type of record?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,928
    edited December 2013

"What’s clear is that the sooner he’s in place as a candidate the better the chance he’ll have"

I'm not so sure. If he isn't going for South Thanet, there's something to be said for preserving the element of surprise. What he really needs is an local energetic UKIP organisation (which it sounds like he's got in a fair few seats) up against a dozy, depleted Tory association that hasn't fought a contested election since 1945 and won't know what hit them. Once the Tories know where he's standing they'll send in the cavalry.

Folkestone or Maindstone, then. Although Maidstone was a little "iffy" last time round.
    However I suspect it'll be Thanet S, with a late decision.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

stodge said:

Why on earth do you think that would be a problem? Farage wants them to start posturing on the EU and immigration. Idiot tory backbenchers and the incompetent fop Cammie seem only too happy to oblige him even after the May local elections debacle proved just how stupid a 'master strategy' that was for the tories.

Tory divisions on Europe = Immigration Bill headache for Cameron who voted for Bulgaria & Romania to join EU http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2013/12/trouble-at-tmills.html
    They can never outkip the kippers. Simple as that.

Not messaging, activity on the ground - canvassing, leaflets, things like that.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    North Thanet is a better bet than South.

It is Alan Bown's home constituency and includes Farage's birthplace, the village of Herne (almost part of Herne Bay).

Unlike in South Thanet, which was Labour through 1997-2010, Sir Roger Gale, the Tory MP since 1983, has a 'safe' majority of 11,000. There is therefore less risk of Farage turning the constituency into a three-way marginal with the result of letting Labour back in.

Much might depend on whether Sir Roger will stand again in 2015. He will be 72. I suspect he may be delaying an announcement in the hope of warding off or at least waiting for a Farage decision.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar Be careful. If I were Nigel Farage, I'd put the maximum I could on Barnsley Central at 250/1 and then stand there.

But since Paddy Power would only allow him half a Mars bar and a packet of wine gums, perhaps not.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @JohnO wrote :

FPT

"Although I believe Lansley is not technically a member of the Cabinet. Is he the first LPS not to be so?"

No. Although he attends as did his predecessor Sir George Young. The two previous Labour Lords Privy Seal, Harman and Straw were in Brown's Cabinet.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

North Thanet is a better bet than South.

It is Alan Bown's home constituency and includes Farage's birthplace, the village of Herne (almost part of Herne Bay).

Unlike in South Thanet, which was Labour through 1997-2010, Gale has a 'safe' majority of 11,000. There is therefore less risk of Farage turning the constituency into a three-way marginal with the result of letting Labour back in.

Much might depend on whether Sir Roger Gale will stand again in 2015. He will be 72. I suspect he may be delaying an announcement in the hope of warding off or at least waiting for a Farage decision.

IIUC he's already said he's standing, although at his age there's obviously a risk his health won't hold up.
  • Options
    Dave is leaving himself a bit of a hostage to fortune with his Afghanistan statement I think.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    @AveryLP
    My guess for Farage is a Kent constituency. He may however,surprise us all and opt for a place like St Albans.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Dave is leaving himself a bit of a hostage to fortune with his Afghanistan statement I think.

Does anybody think

1. the troops should stay

2. They haven't done what has been asked of them to the best of their ability?
  • Options
    JackW said:

@JohnO wrote :

FPT

"Although I believe Lansley is not technically a member of the Cabinet. Is he the first LPS not to be so?"

No. Although he attends as did his predecessor Sir George Young. The two previous Labour Lords Privy Seal, Harman and Straw were in Brown's Cabinet.

Jack

As Pork knows well, Lansley is LEADER.

That places him above the mire of Cabinet politics.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25390456

Ineos boss says Hinkley nuclear power too expensive

But you would not read this in PB. Because it is not wind or solar.
  • Options
    I had floated the idea of Thurrock previously for Nigel Farage and still think it would be an OK choice. Having reflected further, however, I have come to the conclusion that the obvious idea of choosing one of the Kent coastal constituencies remains the right idea. There are chances of a halo effect with neighbouring constituencies. UKIP might hope to establish itself as something of a regional force, in the same way that the Lib Dems are a regional force in the south west.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Horlicks. I posted about it in the previous thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Mick_Pork said:

stodge said:

They can never outkip the kippers. Simple as that.
    Not messaging, activity on the ground - canvassing, leaflets, things like that.

Activity by tory activists. The very people Farage seems to appeal to the most and who very likely view Cameron and the chumocracy with just as much contempt as they seem to view them. The "swivel-eyed loons" as they were oh so memorably named. I somehow doubt they have all forgotten that.

Pouring in a huge number of activists from other locales is also not a luxury that Cameron has considering the still falling tory membership numbers and all the other marginals that must be prioritised.

The activity will also be a reflection of the message. If it's on issues that enthuse the base then that will get them out but if it's something the base actually have a great deal of sympathy with then don't expect them to break their backs opposing it.

Farage wants activity in all these constituencies. He wants sitting tory MPs to start panicking and posturing on his core issues. That's a big part of why he wanted these polls.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    FPT..and may be relevant to this one..According to Guido he has info that Labour will not have a EU referendum
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

FPT..and may be relevant to this one..According to Guido he has info that Labour will not have a EU referendum

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

@AveryLP
    My guess for Farage is a Kent constituency. He may however,surprise us all and opt for a place like St Albans.

Farage will not go for St Albans or any of the highly affluent Hertfordshire constituencies. Additionally all 3 major parties are extremely well organised in the seat.

IMHO he'll opt for a coastal seat in Lincs or Kent.

• Options

I reckon UKIP could have at least five decent target seats. Farage is only going to stand in one of them, and if it draws in the cavalry from the Tories to that particular seat, giving UKIP an easier campaign elsewhere, then maybe that is better than messing about not choosing candidates for a whole series of target seats so that they can parachute Farage in at the last moment.
  • Options

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    More like:

1. He's scared he'd lose.
    2. He doesn't want to have to make the case for the status quo.
    3. He can't make a case for anything other than the status quo as he has no way of getting there.

Of course, there are those who say that Europe has no salience as an issue. To them, I'd say that even 3-4% of the electorate could swing the result of an election and in any case, things like immigration are intrinsically intertwined with the EU anyway.

That said, I do wonder if there's an element of deliberately losing a battle in order to win the war.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    Strange that little Ed hasn't yet made a Cast Iron Pledge for an EU referendum since we all know that would kill the kipper vote stone dead.

LOL

:)
  • Options

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    More like:

3. He can't make a case for anything other than the status quo as he has no way of getting there.

Of course, there are those who say that Europe has no salience as an issue. To them, I'd say that even 3-4% of the electorate could swing the result of an election and in any case, things like immigration are intrinsically intertwined with the EU anyway.

That said, I do wonder if there's an element of deliberately losing a battle in order to win the war.
    A weak leader is a far too long a time in politics.

• Options
    antifrank said:

I had floated the idea of Thurrock previously for Nigel Farage and still think it would be an OK choice. Having reflected further, however, I have come to the conclusion that the obvious idea of choosing one of the Kent coastal constituencies remains the right idea. There are chances of a halo effect with neighbouring constituencies. UKIP might hope to establish itself as something of a regional force, in the same way that the Lib Dems are a regional force in the south west.

It would be interesting if UKIP became a regional force in that part of the UK that is closest to the Continent.

Much though I disagree with UKIP, I can't but feel there would be an important symbolism in that.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    Strange that little Ed hasn't yet made a Cast Iron Pledge for an EU referendum since we all know that would kill the kipper vote stone dead.

LOL

..................and, siphon off the kipper votes straight to the Tories

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    More like:

I thought I wrote quite a strong leader at the weekend: I got virtually every SPOTY prediction right and the tips explain pretty well why Halfpenny performed above pre-show expectations and Farah performed below them ;-)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Mick_Pork said:

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)

LOL

Surby

Ed could always issue a diktat freezing party voting intentions until 2017.

Should do the trick.

If Len lets him, of course.

Maybe.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    surbiton said:

You must have missed the link to an article about this, on the last thread.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    Marcher Lord ‏@MarcherLord1

Hats off to India for getting a probe to Mars for only £45Million, when the UK can't get a train to Birmingham for less than £50Billion.

A tweet I heartily agree with. Of course the probe still has a long way to go yet but the sentiment is right.
  • Options
    So, if anyone wants an EU referendum it will be either Cons or UKIP... and Ukip can't really deliver one..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    surbiton said:

Man who runs company which owns oil refinery has view on vaguely related industry.

Let me know when there's a story.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)
    More like:

I thought I wrote quite a strong leader at the weekend: I got virtually every SPOTY prediction right and the tips explain pretty well why Halfpenny performed above pre-show expectations and Farah performed below them ;-)
    David

Your leaders always lead the leaders.

You have lead in your pencil.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I do hope the PB tories aren't getting comically overexcited by an off the cuff statement made by infamous SLAB cretin John "no-brainer" McTernan.

*tears of laughter etc.*
  • Options
    McTernan was speaking on Daily Politics...not tweeting..
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

surbiton said:

Mick_Pork said:

Of course he won't.

Unite won't let him. ;-)

LOL

Surby

Ed could always issue a diktat freezing party voting intentions until 2017.

Should do the trick.

If Len lets him, of course.

Maybe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524535/Pensioners-twice-likely-vote-leave-EU-25s.html?ico=home^headlines

"Only a third of under-25s want to leave the European Union"

All we need to do is wait !

• Options
    Silence from Labour re McTernans little announcement...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited December 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

I do hope the PB tories aren't getting comically overexcited by an off the cuff statement made by infamous SLAB cretin John "no-brainer" McTernan.

*tears of laughter etc.*

Nobody really thought Labour will offer a referendum did they? There is no none zilch zero chance.

Only 50-50 tim thought the option was alive.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Hats off to India for getting a probe to Mars for only £45Million, when the UK can't get a train to Birmingham for less than £50Billion.

A tweet I heartily agree with. Of course the probe still has a long way to go yet but the sentiment is right.

I think you need to understand costs. India spends billions on its space program, of which the Mars probe was just a little part. You are comparing apples and coconuts.

Having said that, we do need to ask ourselves serious questions about why any infrastructure project in the UK costs so much. As an example:

HS1: £5.8 billion for 67 miles, or £86 million per mile.

HS2: £21.2 billion (including £8.7 billion contingency) for 95 miles, or about £220 million per mile (£131 million excluding contingency)

A14 upgrade: £1.5 billion for building a new road and upgrades between Ellington and Fen Ditton. About 22 miles, or £68 million per mile (although is is slightly complicated by the associated upgrades).

A11 dualling: £102 million for 9.1 miles, or £11 million per mile (this was only going to be £70 million back in 2007).

Construction costs have skyrocketed over the last couple of decades, even accounting for inflation. We need to be looking into why this is.
  • Options
    Ignoring the rights and wrongs of it, does anyone know how Mrs May's proposed 75,000 cap would work?

Would the 75,001 person be forced to wait until someone left the country? Would we distinguish between a French Goldman Sachs banker on a three month secondment and a Bulgarian plumber with no job in hand?

Would it be trailing 12 months, or would 1 January see 75,000 people arrive, followed by a year of closed borders? How would it deal with emigration? Does my pensioner heading for Malaga allow me an additional Pole?
  • Options

MikeK said:

I think you need to understand costs. India spends billions on its space program, of which the Mars probe was just a little part. You are comparing apples and coconuts.

Having said that, we do need to ask ourselves serious questions about why any infrastructure project in the UK costs so much. As an example:

HS2: £21.2 billion (including £8.7 billion contingency) for 95 miles, or about £220 million per mile (£131 million excluding contingency)

A14 upgrade: £1.5 billion for building a new road and upgrades between Ellington and Fen Ditton. About 22 miles, or £68 million per mile (although is is slightly complicated by the associated upgrades).

A11 dualling: £102 million for 9.1 miles, or £11 million per mile (this was only going to be £70 million back in 2007).

Construction costs have skyrocketed over the last couple of decades, even accounting for inflation. We need to be looking into why this is.
    Road building sub contractors fancy a bigger Christmas bonus ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    rcs1000 said:

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of it, does anyone know how Mrs May's proposed 75,000 cap would work?

Would the 75,001 person be forced to wait until someone left the country? Would we distinguish between a French Goldman Sachs banker on a three month secondment and a Bulgarian plumber with no job in hand?

Would it be trailing 12 months, or would 1 January see 75,000 people arrive, followed by a year of closed borders? How would it deal with emigration? Does my pensioner heading for Malaga allow me an additional Pole?

No need. It can't work, fairly certain freedom of movement of peoples is part of our EU membership. No idea why this is being floated, the only possible effect is that it will just boost UKIP in the polls. Unless the Conservative leadership is now anti-EU, which it isn't.

It's a suggestion that would be perfectly sensible in a 'zero' system being built from the ground up, but it is bonkers within the Realpolitik of the day.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

Nobody really thought Labour will offer a referendum did they? There is no none zilch zero chance.

Whether he does or doesn't is irrelevant. That wasn't the point of the posturing. Whenever the issue used to be raised it was to focus attention on the EU and thus get the kipper and tory eurosceptics riled up. Little Ed doesn't even need to do that anymore as Crosby seems intent on raising Kipper core issues anyway.

The fact is kippers would no more believe a Cast Iron pledge on an EU referendum from little Ed than they do from Cammie.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Road building sub contractors fancy a bigger Christmas bonus ?
    Big compensation to keep the nimbys quiet?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Or is this something that is not actually ever meant to be implemented, and is just a way of Sounding like you'd like to do something... If only it wasn't for these pesky liberal democrats

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

Whether he does or doesn't is irrelevant. That wasn't the point of the posturing. Whenever the issue used to be raised it was to focus attention on the EU and thus get the kipper and tory eurosceptics riled up. Little Ed doesn't even need to do that anymore as Crosby seems intent on raising Kipper core issues anyway.

The fact is kippers would no more believe a Cast Iron pledge on an EU referendum from little Ed than they do from Cammie.

Defending Labour again Pork?

Strange behaviour for a hard core Nat such as yourself..
  • Options

Is it construction costs, or the cost of buying the necessary land?

The South Devon Link Road down here is budgeted at £109m for 5.5km. That's nearly £32m per mile.

I looked it up because I thought that a new road might be cheaper than dualling an existing road - which you might expect to be more expensive due to the complication of keeping the existing road open while you upgrade it. Does not seem to be the case.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    John McTernan helped Labor in Australia to a huge defeat...looks as if he intends to help Ed M copy Rudd.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

Defending Labour again Pork?

Strange behaviour for a hard core Nat such as yourself..

Are you drunk?

LOL

I was debunking little Ed's obvious posturing for those too dumb to see what it was.
    I also pointed out just how futile that posturing is since kippers aren't going to believe little Ed or Cammie's Cast Iron pledges anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No need. It can't work, fairly certain freedom of movement of peoples is part of our EU membership. No idea why this is being floated, the only possible effect is that it will just boost UKIP in the polls. Unless the Conservative leadership is now anti-EU, which it isn't..

Theresa May made it very clear that this was one of the items for the renegotiation, not for unilateral UK action:

"There is a growing concern not just here in the UK, but elsewhere too, about the abuse of free movement, about the way in which people can move freely across Europe, sometimes for access to benefits."

The UK is tightening up rules on migrants' access to benefits, as Romanian and Bulgarian nationals gain new rights to live in the country from next month.

But Mrs May said she and Prime Minister David Cameron wanted further changes to control the access of nationals of any future EU entrants.
    "What I'm saying is that, as we look ahead to the whole issue of reform of the European Union, I think we do need to look at this question of free movement."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25398612

As such, it's a possibility, likely to get support from within Germany for example. Still a tough hill to climb, though, and any case probably too late.

Obviously we shouldn't have started from here, but that's the last lot's fault.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    taffys said:

Does anybody think

It has been a disaster, another kicking and us leaving the place a lot worse than when we went there. A waste of people and money for vainglorius politicians.
  • Options
    It's a suggestion that would be perfectly sensible in a 'zero' system being built from the ground up, but it is bonkers within the Realpolitik of the day.

Quite. When is May going to realise its impossible to assuage concerns about immigration and at the same time play by the current EU rules.
  • Options
    'A waste of people and money for vainglorius politicians. '

You think David Cameron should say THAT to our troops?

Blimey.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter etc.*

Depends if you think all Kipper waverers are the types seen on the Telegraph forum posting about LibLabCon and EUSSR.

If Labour promise a referendum or not sets the tone for the election campaign - and more starkly for a Labour or Lib/Lab govt and beyond.

It is a crucial fork in the road - no matter how many times you say it is curtains for Cammie-Crosby either way it does have an impact.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @RichardN

The Ukip goal, as I understand it, is to help get in a Labour govt. Their theory is that Ed is more likely to lose an EU referendum than Dave*

*IMO it's a mad strategy as I don't reckon Labour will even hold one. That said, I'm not sure the Tories would either
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    MikeK said:

@AveryLP

St. Alban's has entirely the wrong demographic profile for UKIP.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@RichardN

The Ukip goal, as I understand it, is to help get in a Labour govt. Their theory is that Ed is more likely to lose an EU referendum than Dave*

*IMO it's a mad strategy as I don't reckon Labour will even hold one. That said, I'm not sure the Tories would either

That is theory 1 - which is mad as you rightly point out - Labour will never hold one.

No 2 is that a Con defeat will bring in a BOO leader and then the referendum will be won outright in 2020 to glorious fanfare.

No 3 is that regardless of who wins only true Kipper purity matters even if it means going down to a glorious defeat.

No 4 is that they are feart of a referendum as they will lose. Aka the suicide Salmond route.

• Options

The South Devon Link Road down here is budgeted at £109m for 5.5km. That's nearly £32m per mile.

I looked it up because I thought that a new road might be cheaper than dualling an existing road - which you might expect to be more expensive due to the complication of keeping the existing road open while you upgrade it. Does not seem to be the case.
    I doubt it is land costs.

When I was studying geo eng back in 1991-4 (which I did not finish, annoyingly), we went to view the Limehouse Link tunnel in East London, which was then under construction.

This cost £293 million for 1.1 miles, or £266 million per mile, and was about the most expensive form of construction possible - cut and cover under a canal basin.

To give you an idea, when you drive through it, each wall panel - section of tunnel you see cost over £100,000 to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limehouse_Link_tunnel

I find it hard to understand why HS2 phase 1 will be about the same cost (in modern figures) per mile as the Limehouse Link, built 20 years ago. yet HS2 is in line with other major projects.

Construction is expensive. But we need to ask why it seems to cost more for us to build things than other countries. We should be looking into this as a matter of urgency.
  • Options
    Still a tough hill to climb, though, and any case probably too late.

The public doesn;t understand why the government doesn't just say

1. The Romanians and Bulgarians aren't coming. The restrictions are staying.

2. When you fine us we aren;t paying

Neither does half the parliamentary tory party, if what I read about amendments to the immigration bill are correct.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

John McTernan helped Labor in Australia to a huge defeat...looks as if he intends to help Ed M copy Rudd.

Let's not gloss over "no-brainer" McTernan's 'genius'. Even "abject failure" doesn't quite cover how catastrophic McTernan was for Gillard and Australia's Labor party.

While under McTernan's spindoctoring 'skill' and guidance Gillard not only got embroiled in a protracted and vicious leadership challenge she then lost it and had to quit as PM with the Labor party then falling to their biggest defeat in something like 100 years.

Impressive stuff even for a comically incompetent SLAB spinner like "no-brainer" McTernan.

But someone you would ever want to take remotely seriously?

*chortle*
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@RichardN

The UKIP goal is much more straightforward, I think. It's to maximise support and electoral representation, in advance of any referendum.

• Options
    taffys said:

Does anybody think

1) No
    2) They have done, by and large, what has been asked of them to the best of their ability. A classmate of mine was KIA there a couple of years back. They are very brave men and women.

But wars are unpredictable things, and if we take Bush's proclaimation about all troops being out of Iraq that proved not to be the case, also what happens if Barry decides that some troops have to stay a little longer. Will Dave defy Baz ? OK so the troops will probably b out by Christmas next year but "Job not done yet", "Still some way to go", "into the endgame" would be a more sensible statement to make than "Mission accomplished" one year out.

• Options

Construction is expensive. But we need to ask why it seems to cost more for us to build things than other countries. We should be looking into this as a matter of urgency.

Does it really cost us more than in other countries? Most people think that is true for energy, but the statistics say otherwise. Toll roads are more common in other countries, which doesn't suggest that there road projects are massively cheaper.

Also, my Irish fiancée is scathing about the quality of road surface on Irish road projects. Maybe ours are more expensive for good reason?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but apart from land I'm struggling to think of a reason why construction would be generally more expensive in the UK than elsewhere in Europe.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Bobajob said:

@RichardN

The UKIP goal is much more straightforward, I think. It's to maximise support and electoral representation, in advance of any referendum.

What referendum ? If as the polls suggest there is a Lib/Lab or Lab govt there won't be one.

So a Labour win = epic Ukip utter failure.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

Does anybody think

1) No
    2) They have done, by and large, what has been asked of them to the best of their ability. A classmate of mine was KIA there a couple of years back. They are very brave men and women.

But wars are unpredictable things, and if we take Bush's proclaimation about all troops being out of Iraq that proved not to be the case, also what happens if Barry decides that some troops have to stay a little longer. Will Dave defy Baz ? OK so the troops will probably b out by Christmas next year but "Job not done yet", "Still some way to go", "into the endgame" would be a more sensible statement to make than "Mission accomplished" one year out.

Hmmm. This sounds a little too silly to be the full story. Did he actually say it, was it a pre-written statement or was it a response to a question?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

When I was studying geo eng back in 1991-4 (which I did not finish, annoyingly), we went to view the Limehouse Link tunnel in East London, which was then under construction.

This cost £293 million for 1.1 miles, or £266 million per mile, and was about the most expensive form of construction possible - cut and cover under a canal basin.

To give you an idea, when you drive through it, each wall panel - section of tunnel you see cost over £100,000 to build.

I find it hard to understand why HS2 phase 1 will be about the same cost (in modern figures) per mile as the Limehouse Link, built 20 years ago. yet HS2 is in line with other major projects.

A piece in the Speccy said that HS2 was specced as the de luxe option, rather than what would suffice.

"High-speed lines in France and most European countries run to an operating speed of 190 mph. HS2, by contrast, has been designed to 225mph, adding significant costs since the curves must be significantly less sharp."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9000911/sorry-but-hs2-is-still-going-nowhere/
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

Does anybody think

1) No

Indeed. When politicians start going around claiming "mission accomplished" you can be fairly sure that the mission is not, in fact, fully accomplished. Afghanistan is one of the most corrupt and least well-governed countries on earth - of course it is not as bad as it was under the taliban, but that would not be difficult.
  • Options

Hmmm. This sounds a little too silly to be the full story. Did he actually say it, was it a pre-written statement or was it a response to a question?

It was in response to a question. fro the Guardian report:

"Asked whether they were coming home with mission accomplished, Cameron said: "Yes I think they do. I think they can come home with their heads held high. You know, we will not leave behind a perfect country or a perfect democracy."

So the media set him up with the mission accomplished words, wanting the parallel with Bush the Younger, but he didn't say it himself.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Bobajob said:

@RichardN

What referendum ? If as the polls suggest there is a Lib/Lab or Lab govt there won't be one.

I suppose Theory #2 is at least vaguely rational - although it would require the Tory Party to eject a BOOer headbanger as leader. The party is just not that daft any more.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No need. It can't work, fairly certain freedom of movement of peoples is part of our EU membership. No idea why this is being floated, the only possible effect is that it will just boost UKIP in the polls. Unless the Conservative leadership is now anti-EU, which it isn't..

Theresa May made it very clear that this was one of the items for the renegotiation, not for unilateral UK action:

"There is a growing concern not just here in the UK, but elsewhere too, about the abuse of free movement, about the way in which people can move freely across Europe, sometimes for access to benefits."

The UK is tightening up rules on migrants' access to benefits, as Romanian and Bulgarian nationals gain new rights to live in the country from next month.

But Mrs May said she and Prime Minister David Cameron wanted further changes to control the access of nationals of any future EU entrants.
    "What I'm saying is that, as we look ahead to the whole issue of reform of the European Union, I think we do need to look at this question of free movement."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25398612

As such, it's a possibility, likely to get support from within Germany for example. Still a tough hill to climb, though, and any case probably too late.

Obviously we shouldn't have started from here, but that's the last lot's fault.

Free movement of people and goods inside the EU was agreed at Maastricht in 1992 and implemented in the UK by a Conservative government, not under the last Labour government.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Bobajob said:

@RichardN

UKIP should not be basing their strategy around what they think other political parties will do. They cannot, and should not, base their strategy around a referendum called by a Tory PM. After all, it is the stated intention of the present Tory PM to hold a referendum on Europe during which he will campaign for a vote to remain within the EU (on modified terms).

That is not a very promising route for taking the UK out of the EU.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Bobajob said:

@RichardN

I suppose Theory #2 is at least vaguely rational - although it would require the Tory Party to eject a BOOer headbanger as leader. The party is just not that daft any more.
    I think Ukip have misguided secret man love for Boris who they think is a closet BOO er ..

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Depends if you think all Kipper waverers are the types seen on the Telegraph forum posting about LibLabCon and EUSSR.

I know perfectly well just where UKIP stand thanks. Perhaps you need to educate yourself before blowing off about a party that Cammie and Crosby are proving impotent to stop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The most important things to note are of course the trends as well as the obvious correlation between UKIP and tory VI.

UKIP slumped after their May election high but they didn't crash back down to where they were before it. That was after the narrative changed to the economy and cost of living with terrible conference for Farage thanks to the Godfrey Bloom stupidity and hilarity.

What it tells you is there is some quite obvious churn between kipper and tory voters and it's amongst that churn that Cammie is betting everything on unhappy tories magically coming back. His problem is that even if many of them do all come back the 'base' for the kipper vote will keep going up the longer they are polling well.

Everyone expects the kipper vote to rise again for the EU elections and quite likely to above the level of the May local elections. It's also pretty much a given that after the EU elections they will fall again. The question is by how much since we can clearly see that, far from crashing back to 5% levels after May, the kipper vote remains stubbornly high even now and higher than the 10% or so before the May local elections.

Cammie doesn't need the kippers to slump to above where they are now after the EU elections. That's not good enough. Cammie needs Farage to crash and burn massively in a Robert Kilroy-Silk manner to well below 5% and there is absolutely no sign of that happening.

No amount of pitiful immigration posturing or Cast Iron Pledges will do that for Cammie.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Bobajob said:

@RichardN

Eject = elect

A case of auto correct giving the exact opposite meaning :)

• Options

A piece in the Speccy said that HS2 was specced as the de luxe option, rather than what would suffice.

"High-speed lines in France and most European countries run to an operating speed of 190 mph. HS2, by contrast, has been designed to 225mph, adding significant costs since the curves must be significantly less sharp."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9000911/sorry-but-hs2-is-still-going-nowhere/
    I can't read the article, but AIUI the difference in cost between the 350 KM/H and the 250 KM/H options was not that great - the main cost being greater engineering for the straighter curves needed for the higher speed (leaving aside Clegg's Kink (*)).

It also makes it much more future-proof, and also more competitive with air travel.

Having said that, ISTR that some TGV lines in France run at slightly reduced speed for much of the day to save energy costs, only running at full speed during peak periods.

(*) Yes, that was Clegg's Kink. Don't ask ...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

Does anybody think

1) No

He did not use the EXACT phrase "Mission accomplished" however he did say:

"To me the absolute driving part of the mission is the basic level of security so that it doesn't become a haven for terror,” he said.

“That is the mission, that was the mission and I think we will have accomplished that mission and so our troops can be very proud of what they have done.”

So it is not exactly an out of context quote.

• Options

It was in response to a question. fro the Guardian report:

"Asked whether they were coming home with mission accomplished, Cameron said: "Yes I think they do. I think they can come home with their heads held high. You know, we will not leave behind a perfect country or a perfect democracy."

So the media set him up with the mission accomplished words, wanting the parallel with Bush the Younger, but he didn't say it himself.

So if someone is asked: "Did you steal that watch from Mrs Smith" And they respond: "Yes, I did." Your belief is that the person is not admitting to theft but has been set up?

• Options
    Not really surprising that tories are impotent to stop Farage since so many of them don't even understand the basics of what he wants.

Farage want's OUT of Europe. That's it. He isn't pinning everything on a Cast Iron referendum pledge from Cammie that he self-evidently believes is as worthless as Cammie's Lisbon Pledge.

Farage is more than happy to eventually force the tory party into a full blown official OUT position and what is more he is already having that effect against a weak tory leadership like Cameron's chumocracy.
    Gove and Hammond would say No to Europe... and seven Cabinet colleagues including Duncan Smith privately agree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323309/Gove-Hammond-say-No-Europe--seven-Cabinet-colleagues-including-Duncan-Smith-privately-agree.html
    The pressure will only increase as Cammie will be forced to make ever more concessions to upset eurosceptics after the EU elections. That has been the pattern for this entire parliament and it won't stop now. Eurosceptic backbenchers forcing Cammie to capitulate on the EU and both running scared of Farage and the kippers.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Not really surprising that tories are impotent to stop Farage since so many of them don't even understand the basics of what he wants.

Farage want's OUT of Europe. That's it. He isn't pinning everything on a Cast Iron referendum pledge from Cammie that he self-evidently believes is as worthless as Cammie's Lisbon Pledge.

Farage is more than happy to eventually force the tory party into a full blown official OUT position and what is more he is already having that effect against a weak tory leadership like Cameron's chumocracy.

Gove and Hammond would say No to Europe... and seven Cabinet colleagues including Duncan Smith privately agree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323309/Gove-Hammond-say-No-Europe--seven-Cabinet-colleagues-including-Duncan-Smith-privately-agree.html
    The pressure will only increase as Cammie will be forced to make ever more concessions to upset eurosceptics after the EU elections. That has been the pattern for this entire parliament and it won't stop now. Eurosceptic backbenchers forcing Cammie to capitulate on the EU and both running scared of Farage and the kippers.

A great strategy - which will see Labour win in 2015 and hence we will probably be even deeper in Europe.

To me it suggests old Nigel really doesn't want a Con victory either way - he can lord it up from his high horse if Labour win.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Mick_Pork said:

I think the 2014 local elections result is going to have the biggest impact on Conservative MPs. The 2013 result was Con 25%, UKIP 23%.
  • Options
    Populus

LAB 40
    CON 33
    LIB 13
    KIP 8

Lab +2 but all MOE
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

I know perfectly well just where UKIP stand thanks. Perhaps you need to educate yourself before blowing off about a party that Cammie and Crosby are proving impotent to stop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The most important things to note are of course the trends as well as the obvious correlation between UKIP and tory VI.

UKIP slumped after their May election high but they didn't crash back down to where they were before it. That was after the narrative changed to the economy and cost of living with terrible conference for Farage thanks to the Godfrey Bloom stupidity and hilarity.

What it tells you is there is some quite obvious churn between kipper and tory voters and it's amongst that churn that Cammie is betting everything on unhappy tories magically coming back. His problem is that even if many of them do all come back the 'base' for the kipper vote will keep going up the longer they are polling well.

Everyone expects the kipper vote to rise again for the EU elections and quite likely to above the level of the May local elections. It's also pretty much a given that after the EU elections they will fall again. The question is by how much since we can clearly see that, far from crashing back to 5% levels after May, the kipper vote remains stubbornly high even now and higher than the 10% or so before the May local elections.

Cammie doesn't need the kippers to slump to above where they are now after the EU elections. That's not good enough. Cammie needs Farage to crash and burn massively in a Robert Kilroy-Silk manner to well below 5% and there is absolutely no sign of that happening.

No amount of pitiful immigration posturing or Cast Iron Pledges will do that for Cammie.
    No. There is a small core of UKIP voters out there who are very unlikely to be moved. Even in urban inner London, where I was canvassing over the weekend, we came across a couple of Kippers who were clearly and proudly committed to their party. I am sure they can be found in greater numbers elsewhere. These people are now lost to the Tories at least until after the next general election. There is nothing the Tories can do - UKIP can always outbid them from the right, and this they will continue to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

A great strategy - which will see Labour win in 2015 and hence we will probably be even deeper in Europe.

To me it suggests old Nigel really doesn't want a Con victory either way - he can lord it up from his high horse if Labour win.

Ironically, Farage could go down in history as the man who forced the UK further into Europe.

What an epitaph that would be.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Populus

LAB 40
    CON 33
    LIB 13
    KIP 8

Lab +2 but all MOE

Daily Yougov hasn't been leaked today yet either...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2013
    Will Ave It be surprised?

Breaking Gianfranco Zola resigns as Watford manager.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-12-16/gianfranco-zola-resigns-as-watford-manager/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Irrelevant. Farage's job is hardly to help Cammie into power so expecting him to help a weak leader incapable of winning on his own merits is stupendously naive. Farage has his own party to manage and run even if he does enjoy pushing the tory party towards his positions.
    TGOHF said:

Farage clearly thinks the tory party are being led by a pro Europe leadership and since Cammie has already stated he wants to fight hard to stay in the EU has has a bit of a point.

The only people Farage considers to be real Eurosceptics are BOOers. A view that is only going to gather steam within the tory party since Euroscepticism has one direction of travel in the tory party now and it certainly isn't towards staying IN.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

I think the 2014 local elections result is going to have the biggest impact on Conservative MPs. The 2013 result was Con 25%, UKIP 23%.
    Unlike 2004 and 2009, UKIP will be looking to maximise local election gains, on the back of the EU election campaign.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

UKIP is not the Conservative Party's bitch.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

Populus

LAB 40
    CON 33
    LIB 13
    KIP 8

Lab +2 but all MOE

PB will be quiet today.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bobajob said:

Populus

LAB 40
    CON 33
    LIB 13
    KIP 8

Lab +2 but all MOE

Daily Yougov hasn't been leaked today yet either...
    I think it's a steady as she goes picture TBH, Lab has been locked around 39 for what seems like an eternity. Its score has barely moved for months on end.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Nigel and UKIP believes the Tories with their business connections will never leave the EU. That is why it is their historic mission to repalce the Conservative Party.
  • Options

No. There is a small core of UKIP voters out there who are very unlikely to be moved.

I disagree. That implies a completely static view of a parties support when the polls all point to an ever higher kipper VI at local elections and likely the EU elections A base grows as general support grows. It's not all churn now. What used to be the base no longer is after breakthroughs and gains at a local election level. That base isn't rocketing up, but it's definitely going up slowly but surely the longer relatively high VI figures are maintained and improved upon.

• Options
    surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Nigel and UKIP believes the Tories with their business connections will never leave the EU. That is why it is their historic mission to repalce the Conservative Party.

Personally I find this "we don't care if it takes until 2030 - we will do it our way " Kipper attitude as profoundly depressing.
  • Options
    Soaraway Labour a full seven points...yes, a full 7 points ahead of the Cons...oh woe..no stopping them now..
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

UKIP is not the Conservative Party's bitch.

Of course it isn't, it's Labour's.
  • Options
    Right hopefully Spurs have poached Zola...

Have a Free bet to the tune of almost £500 profit on him right now...
  • Options
    ''Personally I find this "we don't care if it takes until 2030 - we will do it our way " Kipper attitude as profoundly depressing.''

Kippers think there is no difference between labour/liberal/conservative. They don;t see a labour government as any different from a conservative one.

A labour government is just five more years of the same, to them, just like the coalition government has simply been a continuation of what has gone before.
This discussion has been closed.