Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Perhaps pollsters should start weighting for those who have ha

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

German officials come out with some odd excuses...

Germany riot: Gangs smash shops and attack police in Stuttgart

Police president Frank Lutz suggested the situation had become more tense over the past three to four weeks. What he described as people from the "party and event scene" in Stuttgart had been getting drunk in public and adopted an aggressive and insulting tone towards police on social media.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53126464

The Stuttgart riots are quite strange. As far as I can see, they have no obvious cause or origin, it's not BLM, it's not Antifa, it's not anti-racism. There's a lot of whooping and laughing - and looting.

https://twitter.com/zerosum24/status/1274597709354348549?s=20
    Just plain criminality, as was for instance a lot of it in NYC?

I just thought the statement that people in the "party scene" had been sending nasty tweets about the po po had anything to do with it was weird.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

Another weekend, more deaths at illegal raves....

Two men have died in a shooting after a lockdown party of "hundreds of people".

Police were called to reports that gun shots had been heard in Caythorpe Street in Moss Side, Manchester, at about 01:00 BST.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-53125627

Were the illegal raves of the 90s this violent?

Sometimes.

Will be willing to bet that it is drug dealers having a turf war.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501

Scott_xP said:
    She needs to have her law degree taken away from her if she believes that this will go anywhere. I suspect she wants her moment in the spotlight more than anything.
    Is this still a thing?

The Coronavirus regulations outlaw such private prosecutions without permission of the Secretary of State.

Can someone take out a private prosecution for fraud? :smile:
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223
    MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

The attacks on Ash Sarkar seem quite deranged.

Absolutely Sarkar is a bit of a nutter; that is irrelevant.

looks like she is catnip to the culturewarphiles
    Not sure what the point is there.

Sarkar is a fairly prominent cog in the wheels at Novara Media; enough said.

It remains that online threats are unacceptable.
    I'll admit that Novara Media had passed me by. What content of theirs would you recommend?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

My daughter and family have been round to see us (in the garden)

Apparently the teaching unions are attempting to stop the return of Welsh schools despite the best efforts of the heads, teachers, pta and parents

In a time of national crisis they are actively being disruptive

Oh, not this rubbish again.

The government is making noises about teachers working over the summer, backed by that idiot Adonis.

But they cannot, because contracts clearly state teachers are contracted to work 190 days a year.

So they are trying to guilt trip teachers into working extra-contractually because it makes good headlines in The Daily Wail, and blaming the unions for saying contract law should be followed.

As it happens, I personally would have no objection to working over the summer, as I have said many times. However, I would expect to be paid for it.
    It is not rubbish in my daughters eyes nor many parents apparently
    The story is rubbish.

It’s not the unions, it’s government incompetence.
    Welsh or English Government?
    Welsh labour
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Police were called to reports that gun shots had been heard in Caythorpe Street in Moss Side, Manchester, at about 01:00 BST.

Sometimes.

Seems a logical suggestion.

It was a genuine question, as the narrative of those illegal raves back in the day was all loveliness and the nasty Tory government trying to stop kids just having a good time.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The Culture Wars continue on Twitter.

Owen Jones is trying to cancel some Tory at Oxford Uni

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274698217444294656?s=20

What a spectacle humanity is making of itself. I wish we could cancel the internet

To be fair, if that Tory bloke did say that about Ash Sarkar then he’s a bellend of the highest order.
    He didn't make the death threat, but he did appear to "condone it" by getting involved in the conversation, so he was a damn fool: agreed.

However I loathe this cancel culture. I loathe the relish of the cancellers, who love to tear people down. Look at this tweet from the same Owen Jones. Lusting for blood. Yuk.

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274695283658629120?s=20
    I mean, Owen Jones is also a bellend of the highest order.
    The story here is loathsome goon encourages death threats against confident young left wing woman - since nothing gets the goat of these people more than uppity dusky maidens with the wrong politics who don't know their place - and this will remain the story despite the usual tediously predictable efforts of racist, hard right culture warriors to turn it into an "Owen Jones is a wanker" narrative.

Do not collaborate, I beseech you.
    Death threats are contemptible, but Ash Sarkar is no saint
    As whataboutery goes, that is actually disgusting.

Whatever she is, she does not deserve death threats.

And even if for some obscure reason she did, then it is hard to imagine why she should receive them for posting a photo of herself eating a lollipop.

I mean, come on.
    In this brave new world, every image can be construed as fascist or stalinist or racist or whatever.
    4chan haves turned the OK symbol into a racist thing. I am puzzled as to where this leaves scuba divers - will they have to change the official OK sign?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

Trump slides a little further - 2.66.

Predict the penny is about to drop en masse so anybody who wants to lay him at a 2 handle price should act quite soon.

I bet on Biden (Betfair) on Friday at 1.85, it's now 1.75.
    :smile: - nice one!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Apparently the teaching unions are attempting to stop the return of Welsh schools despite the best efforts of the heads, teachers, pta and parents

The government is making noises about teachers working over the summer, backed by that idiot Adonis.

But they cannot, because contracts clearly state teachers are contracted to work 190 days a year.

So they are trying to guilt trip teachers into working extra-contractually because it makes good headlines in The Daily Wail, and blaming the unions for saying contract law should be followed.

As it happens, I personally would have no objection to working over the summer, as I have said many times. However, I would expect to be paid for it.
    The story is rubbish.

Agreed. This is Wales under labour
    But it is infuriating to me to see the unions blamed for it. Why don’t these losers like Drakeford and Williamson simply ‘fess up and admit they’re useless? Why are they blaming others?
    It is the parents blaming the unions in this case

It is utter chaos. One of my grandsons friends has been given times to go back this month, others haven't including my grandson, and the unions are the problem
    The unions have asked for safety assurances to be given and extra safety materials including things as basic as hand gel to be provided.

They haven’t.

Again, don’t look too far for the real culprit.

Anyway, I’m getting worked up and I have a busy day tomorrow. I have a subscription to Sky, taken out this afternoon after spending a day writing reports, and I intend to enjoy myself watching some box sets.

Have a good afternoon.
    Please do not get worked up and like me watch some footie or box sets

It may well be Drakeford but the parents are accusing the unions

And enjoy your day
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

I'll admit that Novara Media had passed me by. What content of theirs would you recommend?
    Not a lot :-).

It's the Aaron Bastani nee Aaron Peters vehicle.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Surely not, we've been told that uncertainty due to existing Brexit shit, Covid-19 and impending financial armageddon is mortally damaging the case for independence. It's going to kick in anytime now I believe.

I think you'd win it but can you get it?

If not - by the time you get it can you win it?
    I don't have quite the certainty of your Trump is toast club, but if we get it, yes.

As to when we get it, I don't see the slightest possibility of the UK slumping back into comfortable somnolence, which is what I presume the HYUFDs of this world hope will happen if only they can keep their spoiling act going for long enough. I see the so called Culture War as actually a frenzy of self doubt about English identity. It's only at the 'I don't even know who we are anymore' stage so loads of high jinks yet to come.
    Well nothing is more certain than Trump is Toast. It's joined death & taxes. :smile:
  • Options
    MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Not a lot :-)
    The stream of the 2019 GE for the LOLs ?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

The election night coverage where they occasionally burst into tears is fairly entertaining...

They're actually quite good on internal Labour Party machinations, and if you're far enough to the alt-left, you'll love pretty much everything they put out.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

What a spectacle humanity is making of itself. I wish we could cancel the internet

To be fair, if that Tory bloke did say that about Ash Sarkar then he’s a bellend of the highest order.
    He didn't make the death threat, but he did appear to "condone it" by getting involved in the conversation, so he was a damn fool: agreed.

However I loathe this cancel culture. I loathe the relish of the cancellers, who love to tear people down. Look at this tweet from the same Owen Jones. Lusting for blood. Yuk.

The story here is loathsome goon encourages death threats against confident young left wing woman - since nothing gets the goat of these people more than uppity dusky maidens with the wrong politics who don't know their place - and this will remain the story despite the usual tediously predictable efforts of racist, hard right culture warriors to turn it into an "Owen Jones is a wanker" narrative.

That’s what happens when you get enraged about everything and everyone though. People stop listening.
    But who is getting enraged about everything and everyone?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

And even if for some obscure reason she did, then it is hard to imagine why she should receive them for posting a photo of herself eating a lollipop.

I mean, come on.
    In this brave new world, every image can be construed as fascist or stalinist or racist or whatever.
    4chan haves turned the OK symbol into a racist thing. I am puzzled as to where this leaves scuba divers - will they have to change the official OK sign?
    I wondered this to. The problem is that the "Thumbs up" sign has another meaning when you are under water, saying "I want to head back up to the surface"
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    After the rise in all the alt-left outlets under Corbyn, are there any centre left outlets appearing for Team Starmer? Back in the day, you had Left Foot Forward, LabourList etc in terms of websites, but that space has moved on and now you need YouTube channels and podcasts to be relevant.
  • Options

I thought in the new cancel culture, if you post a tweet that people are offended by, no matter what your intentions were, you are in the wrong, must apologize and take the tweet down immediately. So by that logical Ash Sarkar was in the wrong.

I believe I have this logic correct employed by those most keen to cancel others. Or is this like statues, ones of my team are good (no matter what bad they did), statues of the other team are bad (no matter what good they did).

I think you should get back to talking about the virus, Francis.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

That’s what happens when you get enraged about everything and everyone though. People stop listening.
    Probably many thousands of people to be fair
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Owen Jones.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The story is rubbish.

But it is infuriating to me to see the unions blamed for it. Why don’t these losers like Drakeford and Williamson simply ‘fess up and admit they’re useless? Why are they blaming others?

It is utter chaos. One of my grandsons friends has been given times to go back this month, others haven't including my grandson, and the unions are the problem
    The unions have asked for safety assurances to be given and extra safety materials including things as basic as hand gel to be provided.

They haven’t.

Anyway, I’m getting worked up and I have a busy day tomorrow. I have a subscription to Sky, taken out this afternoon after spending a day writing reports, and I intend to enjoy myself watching some box sets.

Have a good afternoon.

And enjoy your day
    As a matter of interest, is education a local council duty in Wales?

In which case presmably the council should be getting some of the flak?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    I wondered this to. The problem is that the "Thumbs up" sign has another meaning when you are under water, saying "I want to head back up to the surface"
    Exactly.

I believe the OK = racist thing started as a meme joke. It wasn't true. Then it got adopted by some actual racists. And opponents of racists.

Bit like the deep fried mars bars thing. In Wiltshire, they heard the story. And the local chip shop started deep frying mars bars....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    eadric said:

Just to be clear on the Ash Sarkar story. She posted a picture of herself in the park, taken at 2 pm yesterday afternoon but posted in the evening.
    Culture war warriors from the neo-nazi far right took it upon themselves, in large numbers, to pile on alleging that she was celebrating the (yet to take place) Reading murders and calling for her to be killed, raped and so on. If you don't believe me, read the original thread - they even imagined that the orange lolly in the picture was symbolic of Libya, and three orange symbols in the motif symbolised and celebrated the murdered. The abuse she received for an innocent picture was horrific.

I'm no fan of Ash Sarkar at all - she damages my side of politics sometimes - but she has never called for violence against others.

Yet again, Eadric and others seek to inflame a culture war that has been ignited by far right elements determined to exacerbate racial tensions. You couldn't make it up.

Just to make this clear. I condemn all violence. I condemn all threats of violence. I condemn all random statue-toppling. I condemn angry far right wankers taking on the police in Whitehall. I condemn mobs of rioters picking on random white people in Waterloo. I condemn these rioters in Stuttgart, the loons in Dijon and the redneck hoodlums toting guns in Michigan: it is all bad.

I am not promoting a culture war, I am expressing my deep fear of the same. We approach an abyss.

If you want me to shut up, you'll have to ask the mods. I believe I am being entirely reasonable.

I agree that the people attacking Ash Sarkar on the grounds she sucked an ice lolly and posted three orange emojis are completely batshit crazy.

Of course I don't want you to shut up - I'm not into cancel culture.

Though you could engage your ample brain a bit more before you post random hyperbolic tweets from random nutters who have an agenda that you seem happy to promote. I just wonder why you are so keen to hunt for, and find, divisiveness wherever you can. The stuff you keep commenting on really only represents a tiny proportion of folk.

There are an awful lot of us out there (and Owen Jones is one of them) who really just want a more equal, fairer society without racial or economic injustice. We don't care about Churchill's statue,

It's no really that difficult.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Scott_xP said:
    She needs to have her law degree taken away from her if she believes that this will go anywhere. I suspect she wants her moment in the spotlight more than anything.
    Presumably she’s just about to graduate, and will be looking for a training position somewhere. She figures that anyting that makes her stand out from the hundreds of applications that each law firm receives can’t be a bad thing.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

I believe the OK = racist thing started as a meme joke. It wasn't true. Then it got adopted by some actual racists. And opponents of racists.

Bit like the deep fried mars bars thing. In Wiltshire, they heard the story. And the local chip shop started deep frying mars bars....
    So that must be where the English tourists come from that demand DFMBs in the central Edinburgh chippies, to go with their exotic haggis pudden and chips.
  • Options

Sometimes.

Seems a logical suggestion.

It was a genuine question, as the narrative of those illegal raves back in the day was all loveliness and the nasty Tory government trying to stop kids just having a good time.
    Well 99% fine, but 1% of the time, there were stabbings, a few shootings, deaths from dehydration, crushing in crowds etc.

Almost as if there was a reason for having a system for licensing crowd events based on safety provision.
  • Options

Just to be clear on the Ash Sarkar story. She posted a picture of herself in the park, taken at 2 pm yesterday afternoon but posted in the evening.
    Culture war warriors from the neo-nazi far right took it upon themselves, in large numbers, to pile on alleging that she was celebrating the (yet to take place) Reading murders and calling for her to be killed, raped and so on. If you don't believe me, read the original thread - they even imagined that the orange lolly in the picture was symbolic of Libya, and three orange symbols in the motif symbolised and celebrated the murdered. The abuse she received for an innocent picture was horrific.

I'm no fan of Ash Sarkar at all - she damages my side of politics sometimes - but she has never called for violence against others.

Yet again, Eadric and others seek to inflame a culture war that has been ignited by far right elements determined to exacerbate racial tensions. You couldn't make it up.

Preach.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The story is rubbish.

They haven’t.

Have a good afternoon.

And enjoy your day

Need I say Kirsty Williams is Education Minister for Wales under a labour government

Ultimately she and Drakeford are responsible for the present chaos
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The story is rubbish.

They haven’t.

Have a good afternoon.

And enjoy your day

Need I say Kirsty Williams is Education Minister for Wales under a labour government

Ultimately she and Drakeford are responsible for the present chaos
    Thank you; I'm off now, but have a good weekend.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

eadric said:

Just to make this clear. I condemn all violence. I condemn all threats of violence. I condemn all random statue-toppling. I condemn angry far right wankers taking on the police in Whitehall. I condemn mobs of rioters picking on random white people in Waterloo. I condemn these rioters in Stuttgart, the loons in Dijon and the redneck hoodlums toting guns in Michigan: it is all bad.

I am not promoting a culture war, I am expressing my deep fear of the same. We approach an abyss.

If you want me to shut up, you'll have to ask the mods. I believe I am being entirely reasonable.

I agree that the people attacking Ash Sarkar on the grounds she sucked an ice lolly and posted three orange emojis are completely batshit crazy.

Though you could engage your ample brain a bit more before you post random hyperbolic tweets from random nutters who have an agenda that you seem happy to promote. I just wonder why you are so keen to hunt for, and find, divisiveness wherever you can. The stuff you keep commenting on really only represents a tiny proportion of folk.

There are an awful lot of us out there (and Owen Jones is one of them) who really just want a more equal, fairer society without racial or economic injustice. We don't care about Churchill's statue,

Good luck with your wishful thinking , you will be waiting a long long time, reality is very different and will not change quickly so best we see the reality.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

So that must be where the English tourists come from that demand DFMBs in the central Edinburgh chippies, to go with their exotic haggis pudden and chips.
    Happened in quite a lot of places, I understand. I was actually in Wiltshire when that happened at the local chip shop.
  • Options

Tres said:

MattW said:

The people making death threats are criminals. And should be sentenced to prison - say a year or 2. Plus 999 years for using Twitter. They are also chods.

Sarkar is a chod.

Owen is a chod, but less than Sarkar
    WTF is a chod?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Preach.
    Total drivel suggesting the right started the culture war is like suggesting the british started the second world war by standing up to the reich.

You lefties have been gnawing away at western liberal democracy for years now like rodents and now you have the nerve to complain people are putting down rat poison
  • Options

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

Happened in quite a lot of places, I understand. I was actually in Wiltshire when that happened at the local chip shop.
    I still find it hard to believe there is anyone stupid enough to want a DFMB, haggis and chips I can just about manage.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

I used to buy haggis and chips in Leith Walk every saturday home game when I was a Hibs season ticket holder
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Owen Jones.
    Do you read much of his stuff or is this mainly a word of mouth thing?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    eadric said:

"...people are disposed to mistake predicting troubles for causing troubles and even for desiring troubles: "If only," they love to think, "if only people wouldn't talk about it, it probably wouldn't happen."
  • Options
    England case data out -

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

The people making death threats are criminals. And should be sentenced to prison - say a year or 2. Plus 999 years for using Twitter. They are also chods.

Sarkar is a chod.

Owen is a chod, but less than Sarkar
    WTF is a chod?
    "A little learning is a dang'rous thing;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring"

I had a look, but there seem to be enough definitions that I skirted the rabbithole.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2020
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.
    Total drivel suggest the right started the culture war is like suggest the british started the second world war by standing up to the reich.

You lefties have been gnawing away at western liberal democracy for years now like rodents and now you have the nerve to complain people are putting down rat poison
    Quite right, anyone with two braincells to rub together has seen what has been going on for the last month and who has been tearing down statues, getting people fired and censoring history.

Now the optics are bad the gaslighting has turned on blaming the other side. It can never be the left's fault.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Probably many thousands of people to be fair
    In a "Meldrew" sense, yes. There is one particular poster on here for whom that is my mental nickname. But this "culture war" business - I think it's far far fewer people than the noise made would have you think. It's a distraction imo. Trouble is, it can be very stimulating and this is probably what feeds it as much as anyhting else. I am sometimes a culprit but am trying not to be.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.
    Total drivel suggesting the right started the culture war is like suggesting the british started the second world war by standing up to the reich.

Gosh, you're a pleasant person. Thanks, though, for proving my point.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

eadric said:

"...people are disposed to mistake predicting troubles for causing troubles and even for desiring troubles: "If only," they love to think, "if only people wouldn't talk about it, it probably wouldn't happen."
    I'm old enough to remember when I was on this same site, about three months ago, predicting that this new Chinese coronavirus thingy was going to sweep the world, change societies, and be by far the biggest story of the year, if not the century.

My reward? I got lots of scorn and derision, some of it really quite angry. Weirdly vituperative.

I believe it was the same process you describe. People didn't want to hear what I was saying, so they turned on the sayer.

Hey ho
    You were indeed
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Terrorist suspect in Reading known to MI5...ticks all the boxes of what now is the identikit for these cases.

Sources told the BBC he is originally from Libya and was brought to the attention of MI5 in 2019.

Security sources say the suspect came to the attention of the security services after they received information he had aspirations to travel abroad potentially for terrorism, according to the BBC's home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani.

When the information was further investigated, as the first stage of looking into a potential lead, no genuine threat or immediate risk was identified.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.
    Total drivel suggest the right started the culture war is like suggest the british started the second world war by standing up to the reich.

Quite right, anyone with two braincells to rub together has seen what has been going on for the last month and who has been tearing down statues, getting people fired and censoring history.

Now the optics are bad the gaslighting has turned on blaming the other side. It can never be the left's fault.
    Striking that lefties on here think the far right would be disappointed that yesterday's stabbings were the work of a Libyan immigrant with a criminal record!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    On-topic, I think the Times journo is overegging his pudding and picking his cherries in search of a story.

I don't think a difference in a set of constituencies between 88 and 79 amounts to a hill of beans (or perhaps reflects much evidence) when the Stats page he takes as his source says things like this:

Taking into account the size and age structure of the population, there were 81.2 deaths involving COVID-19 per 100,000 people in England and Wales over the period; this was 81.9 per 100,000 persons in England compared with 67.6 per 100,000 persons in Wales.

Between March and May, London had the highest age-standardised mortality rate with 137.6 deaths involving COVID-19 per 100,000 persons; this was statistically significantly higher than any other region in England and more than a third higher than the region with the next highest rate.

• Options

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

As compared to the epithets the left throw at people who don't kowtow to their world view....racist....xenophobe....sexist....gammon....yet I am nasty for referring to you as lefties? Please get a grip
  • Options
    eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

It's still brilliant and it still cheers me up whenever I am down

Go to 30:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3RQWEziIKw
    That is a video nasty that ought not to be in general circulation.

But excellent punditry from Ash as it happens. Fantastic effort given the circumstances.

What a pro.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

eadric said:

I'm old enough to remember when I was on this same site, about three months ago, predicting that this new Chinese coronavirus thingy was going to sweep the world, change societies, and be by far the biggest story of the year, if not the century.

My reward? I got lots of scorn and derision, some of it really quite angry. Weirdly vituperative.

I believe it was the same process you describe. People didn't want to hear what I was saying, so they turned on the sayer.

Hey ho
    Still you were proven correct, I see yesterday they said they had found corona in Italian waste water samples from early December, same in Spain.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

As compared to the epithets the left throw at people who don't kowtow to their world view....racist....xenophobe....sexist....gammon....yet I am nasty for referring to you as lefties? Please get a grip
    You might want to delete your next rant before posting if you don't want to be thought of as nasty.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

I don't know about starting the culture war - that is probably not answerable either way - but one thing is for sure. The right are using it to win elections in the absence of anything credible to offer working people on living standards.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

You might want to delete your next rant before posting if you don't want to be thought of as nasty.
    Sorry I don't take instructions on what I am allowed to say from you. And you think that is a rant? It was an observation that the left is getting pushback on their odious views and they don't like it. Go ahead cancel me all you want but much to your regret you can't silence me
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

But excellent punditry from Ash as it happens. Fantastic effort given the circumstances.

What a pro.
    https://twitter.com/damcou/status/1274726271654735880?s=21
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    isam said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Striking that lefties on here think the far right would be disappointed that yesterday's stabbings were the work of a Libyan immigrant with a criminal record!
    Were you disappointed?
    eadric said:

eadric said:

But, I disagree.

The reasonable people, on both sides, are being drowned out by the nutters. We are being polarised, you can feel it. It's partly the pandemic making people bored and angry, and frightened, it's partly the amplification effect of social media (look at Piers Morgan, getting millions of followers just by shouting ferociously)

It is also the final stage of a process that has been going on for decades, the capture of academe by a nucleus of people obsessed with identity politics, who have now pushed beyond the universities - into the media, the streets, the mainstream - where they are finally getting a heavy pushback. As you would expect.

So you might be a perfectly reasonable guy, or girl, but when I look at the Left I see lots of very shrill people demanding quite crazy things, and they grab the attention because they are so extreme: they are clickbait in every sense.

I am sure the Right will eventually react and become the mirror image (we saw the beginnings of that with the Churchill statue riots)

That's what I observe, and that's what I sometimes report on or discuss on PB. That is all.

And I really really wish it would all go away. All of it.

Let me take a wild guess that you consider yourself one of the 'reasonable people'.

I think I can see the system error from which all else stems.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Pagan is a "handle with care". I do anyway.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The story is rubbish.

They haven’t.

Have a good afternoon.

And enjoy your day

Yes it is a council function as in England. Kirsty' Williams is OK. She is a LD.
  • Options

Terrorist suspect in Reading known to MI5...ticks all the boxes of what now is the identikit for these cases.

Sources told the BBC he is originally from Libya and was brought to the attention of MI5 in 2019.

Security sources say the suspect came to the attention of the security services after they received information he had aspirations to travel abroad potentially for terrorism, according to the BBC's home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani.

When the information was further investigated, as the first stage of looking into a potential lead, no genuine threat or immediate risk was identified.

It's the same problem as with the extreme right -

- A smallish number (but still thousands) of nasty people mouthing off
    - A tiny percentage of them will actually do something horrible
    - Finding that tiny percentage, in the thousands
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Rats.
    You referred to lefties as rats, to be poisoned. At least have the guts to stand by your pishy metaphors.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Tres said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Sorry I don't take instructions on what I am allowed to say from you. And you think that is a rant? It was an observation that the left is getting pushback on their odious views and they don't like it. Go ahead cancel me all you want but much to your regret you can't silence me
    No one is trying to cancel you so no need to apologise.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

You are trying to equate the threat of Islamic extremists to the far right?

Nothing like comparable.

• Options
    edited June 2020

The scale of the problem is different though. According to an academic they had on R5 a while back, we are talking 10s of far right extremists that the authorities are worried about going from engaging online with like minded individuals to perpetrating an attack.

Where as we know the authorities are trying to keep tabs on 1000s when it comes to radical Islamists.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

What a pro.
    Or you could simply condemn racist scum calling for her to be raped and murdered.

This has the benefit of being both the correct thing to do AND by far the easiest.
  • Options

isam said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Were you disappointed?
    Relieved that it wasn't a Football Lad type stabbing POC if I am honest.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Preach.

Rats.
    You referred to lefties as rats, to be poisoned. At least have the guts to stand by your pishy metaphors.
    I did not refer to lefties as rats I used the analogy of rats gnawing at something to describe how I saw them putting down western liberal democracy and yes maybe stretched it a bit when I described the pushback against it as rat poison.

I have never called for lefties to be imprisoned/injured or killed nor even called for their silencing
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

What a pro.
    Or you could simply condemn racist scum calling for her to be raped and murdered.

This has the benefit of being both the correct thing to do AND by far the easiest.
    I am not going to start condemning the behaviour of people who are condemned by their behaviour anyhow
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The US is going to be in all the history books of how not to handle this.

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1274734694375006209?s=19
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Disney World off-limits for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

Disney World off-limits for the foreseeable future.

The NBA was supposed to be restarting based around special tournament there.

• Options
    Floater said:

Nothing like comparable.

I don't know - they seem strangely similar in many ways.

The New Zealand scumbag seemed quite ISIS to me, for example - down to the misspelt slogans painted on his weapons.

They congregate on social media, circling the toilet bowl of hate. Every now and then one of them goes Full Tuard.
  • Options
    Isn't the republican convention supposed to be held in Florida after they moved it?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

I still find it hard to believe there is anyone stupid enough to want a DFMB, haggis and chips I can just about manage.
    I always assumed a DFMB was a sort of urban legend. Admittedly I haven't been to Scotland for several years now and the last two occasions were for weddings where one wouldn't expect that sort of thing.

Whisky yes; in considerable quantity, certainly at the first one.

However I didn't see it advertised in the chippy we walked past from my B&B to the second.

Always try and buy a haggis a couple of days before Burns Night, although that's been muted lately as it clashes with Dydd Santes Dwynwen and we can't really enjoy Valentines Night nowadays, as our daughter died on Feb 14th.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    Anyone know where the Guardian money came from to set up the paper in the first place?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Former Ukrainian president says Biden never pressed him on Burisma
    “My absolutely clear answer: no, never,” Petro Poroshenko told CNN.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/21/ukraine-president-hunter-joe-biden-burisma-331779
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Nothing like comparable.

I don't know - they seem strangely similar in many ways.

The New Zealand scumbag seemed quite ISIS to me, for example - down to the misspelt slogans painted on his weapons.

They congregate on social media, circling the toilet bowl of hate. Every now and then one of them goes Full Tuard.
    How about in scale ?

Nothing like comparable
  • Options

Anyone know where the Guardian money came from to set up the paper in the first place?

They sold off all their other businesses - Regional Newspapers, Autotrader etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

What a pro.

I am not going to start condemning the behaviour of people who are condemned by their behaviour anyhow
    I don't think the first instinct of people in such a case should be to scout around for bits of evidence showing the victim in a bad light. Not to get all holy but I'm sure I would not do that if it were (say) Katie Hopkins or Munira Mirza.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

What a pro.

Sarkar, like the rest of the Novato insane clown possee are a malign influence on our politics. However the comments aimed at a picture of a young woman, in a London park, on a hot summers day enjoying an ice lolly are little short of disgraceful.

Do we really need to go around condemning it just to be seen to be condemning it as seems to be the implication.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Enterprise!

Horribly misused enterprise in retrospect. We had an Empire once - hard to believe that the rise of the left and the viral-death of the Empire weren't linked.

(Probably not all the Guardian's fault though.)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited June 2020
    Omnium said:

Enterprise!

Horribly misused enterprise in retrospect. We had an Empire once - hard to believe that the rise of the left and the viral-death of the Empire weren't linked.

The 'end of empire' surely was hastened by the expenditure on WWI, which needn't have happened.

Yes, I know the Empire's widest extent was after 1918, but it was the last hurrah before departure.
  • Options
    This is really sad. A great guy:

Alex Zanardi in medically induced coma after his hand-bike collides with lorry
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/21/alex-zanardi-in-medically-induced-coma-after-a-crash-on-his-hand-bike
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    MattW said:

They sold off all their other businesses - Regional Newspapers, Autotrader etc.
    Sorry - missed out that it became recognisably the modern setup when its owner put it into a trust in the early 20C. 1920s I think.

The selling off was what underpinned the asset position in recent years.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Nigelb said:

This is really sad. A great guy:

Alex Zanardi in medically induced coma after his hand-bike collides with lorry
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/21/alex-zanardi-in-medically-induced-coma-after-a-crash-on-his-hand-bike

Poor guy has had some serious transport karma ripen.
  • Options
    eadric said:

OK a final bit of culture warring/reasoned analysis

The media are partly culpable for the mess we are in. They are biased and selective. I've no doubt that in the past they were biased to the right, in the main (which is wrong), I've no doubt that they are now biased towards the BLM/left perspective

Here's a provable example

NPR in America tweets this headline.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1274713491153326081?s=20

Take a quick glance and what do you see? Some awful far right driver about to run over innocent protesters: the headline certainly intends you to see that and pushes you in that direction

But look at what actually happened. There is video.

The female driver stopped for the demo, protesters surrounded her, then they began arguing, they reached in and started beating her, grabbed her hair, and then they pulled a gun. Unsurprisingly, the terrified woman drove off in fear of her life, at speed

https://twitter.com/Mrtdogg/status/1273842748517466115?s=20

There is a fuller account here. The protesters admitted the crime

https://amp-courier--journal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3216822001?usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&amp_js_v=0.1#aoh=15927505779434&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/06/18/2-charged-louisville-altercation-driver-who-hit-protester/3216822001/

"Anderson, 21, was identified by video and later arrested later Wednesday morning, according to the report. He admitted to the incident in an interview after waving his Miranda rights and was charged with first-degree rioting, first-degree wanton endangerment, tampering with physical evidence, third-degree criminal mischief, second-degree disorderly conduct and obstructing a highway.

According to the report, after the incident with the driver, Louisville police officers observed Anderson handing off his handgun to Brioanna Richards, who then hid the weapon in a vehicle to "in an attempt to conceal evidence of the crime." Police then located the vehicle, consent searched it and confiscated the handgun"

The irony of ironies is that the poor driver was an African American woman

This is deeply irresponsible journalism by NPR: it serves only to provoke both sides: sympathisers with BLM who will read the incendiary and mendacious headline (far right drivers hitting protesters!!) followed by skeptics who will dig a bit deeper and then be outraged by the pro-BLM media lies.

Who does this actually serve?

It’s interesting to see the press and media reporting of the protests locally. The BLM protests are reported as ‘largely peaceful’ and the only trouble and problems reported coming from the counter protesters who are defined as the far right.

Having seen some of what went on this is not accurate. On both sides there were a handful of people who were seeking violent confrontation. It was not a case of one side turning up to attack another.

Are people,stupid. Do they not have eyes ? They will know the media is lying about stuff to them as it always has.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

What a pro.

Sarkar, like the rest of the Novato insane clown possee are a malign influence on our politics. However the comments aimed at a picture of a young woman, in a London park, on a hot summers day enjoying an ice lolly are little short of disgraceful.

Do we really need to go around condemning it just to be seen to be condemning it as seems to be the implication.
    Silence is fine. You can't comment on everything. But if one is commenting on it there is a need to NOT do 3 things. Here they are -

1. Do not post "lol - you reap what you sew" to egg on and justify the rape and death threats.

2. Do not seek to turn the narrative into "Owen Jones is a woke wanker" for highlighting the rape and death threats and the egging on of it by a person in a prominent position.

3. Do not go scouring the internet for bits of evidence to post that show the victim (of the rape and death threats) in a bad light. Implication being (whether said or not) that she deserved it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

Omnium said:

Enterprise!

The 'end of empire' surely was hastened by the expenditure on WWI, which needn't have happened.
    I was hoping that facts might not get in the way of my diatribe :)

I do in fact think that the politics of the left have been the main factor taking us from super-power to super-numerary. I'm probably wrong though. I've been wrong before, back in the eighties...
  • Options
    Interesting point about the apparent low infectivity of children. Do we have any data which refutes it ?

https://twitter.com/c_drosten/status/1274714443008573442
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Lovely!

Now here the disgraceful comment about Ash Sakar which has landed that bozo in trouble is totally 100% appropriate.

You reap what you sew.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Floater said:

Nothing like comparable.

The far right are the second biggest terrorist threat in the UK. They have killed a number of people in recent years and are of increasing concern to the security forces.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

Never had a DFMB but battered pizza is amazing. At least the first half is. By the end you are consumed by self loathing and you start to fall into a carb-induced coma.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    kinabalu said:

Lovely!

Now here the disgraceful comment about Ash Sakar which has landed that bozo in trouble is totally 100% appropriate.

You reap what you sew.
    Sow!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

I’ve had an email asking if I want to work for a week or two over the summer. No pressure to, and the school will pay any teacher who does.
    The plan seems to be to focus on the Pupil Premium pupils.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Enterprise!

I was hoping that facts might not get in the way of my diatribe :)

I do in fact think that the politics of the left have been the main factor taking us from super-power to super-numerary. I'm probably wrong though. I've been wrong before, back in the eighties...
    Macmillan recognised the Winds of Change in 1960. Except India and Burma, almost all of the British Empire gained independence in the relatively short period between 1957 and 1964, or were set on an irreversible course in that direction. There were a few late stragglers, but under the Tories, the Empire ended, mostly fairly peacefully.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Nigelb said:

Interesting point about the apparent low infectivity of children. Do we have any data which refutes it ?

https://twitter.com/c_drosten/status/1274714443008573442

It is yet another way that Coronavirus is not the flu. Schools seem to be fairly insignificant compared to adult contact as spreader events.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/21/police-investigate-double-after-manchester-street-gathering

This story got barely a mention on Sky News. Now I know why a terrorist attack receives more attention - it’s because the victims could have been anyone - but it still feels poor that a double murder doesn’t get more attention.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

I always assumed a DFMB was a sort of urban legend. Admittedly I haven't been to Scotland for several years now and the last two occasions were for weddings where one wouldn't expect that sort of thing.

However I didn't see it advertised in the chippy we walked past from my B&B to the second.

Always try and buy a haggis a couple of days before Burns Night, although that's been muted lately as it clashes with Dydd Santes Dwynwen and we can't really enjoy Valentines Night nowadays, as our daughter died on Feb 14th.
    I have never seen any place that sells it either and would not buy anything from it if they did.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    It annoys me that ministers are giving such huge favours to developer friends for such small bribes. This shower of a government isn't even competently corrupt.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

Never had a DFMB but battered pizza is amazing. At least the first half is. By the end you are consumed by self loathing and you start to fall into a carb-induced coma.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I mean, come on.
    Exactly.

I have never seen any place that sells it either and would not buy anything from it if they did.
    The chippies in central Edinburgh, e.g in Cowgatehead/Grassmarket, certainly sell DFMBs - but they would catch the pished tourist yoof with the munchies, esp. at Arts Festival time. You know, the ones who come to the city of Hume and Hutton to eat DFMBs.

On battered pizza, I recall the conference I organised in Edinburgh once. Several of the delegates were Italian PhD students. They had gone into one of the chippies above and one of them had spotted a pizza in the warmer cabinet and pointed at it. He was dfumbfounded when the chap whipped it out, folded it in half, dipped it in batter, [edit] deep-fried it and gave it to him with his chips ...

This discussion has been closed.