Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Perhaps pollsters should start weighting for those who have ha

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

On today’s much-discussed subject of Ash Sarkar, I have to say I like her. Yes, many of her opinions are barking, but on a personal level she seems a lot of fun.

I reckon of all the people who are mostly famous for being on Twitter she would be the best for a night out.
    Her twitter bio once stated she ‘f*cks like a champion’. Now deleted. I wonder if that’s what attracts so many men of a certain age !
    She is unquestionably hot.

There is always something satisfying about bedding a stridently left wing girl. They often turn out to be the most submissive.
    I love this site. You won't get stuff like this anywhere else.
    It's also absolutely true. I've encountered it too often in my life, and heard it from too many friends, to regard it as coincidence.

I can't work out which causes which, however.

Is it because these women are so shouty, forceful and determined in real life that they yearn to be tied up, spanked and generally bossed around between the sheets?

Or is it because they are so ashamed of their innate sexual submissiveness that they become hardened feminists fighting for equality in daily life?

There is a similar phenomenon in men, of course. Often very powerful men harbour a secret desire to be dominated, to let go of that power and be told what to do by a tall, severe lady in shiny black boots and a leather bra.

*stares at several Tory ex chancellors*
    You need to go outside
    Come come, this is the kind of precise, granular political analysis you only find on PB. It is what makes this site exceptional
    Starting to show your age if you really think there are no other places online that combine pontificating on politics and pegging.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eadric said:

CatMan said:

Quiz question: Which parliamentary constituency has the smallest geographic area.

I got the biggest correct but don't know this one.

(No cheating!)

I cheated and had a look. I'm not going to say, but bloody hell! :lol:
    I'm having another go (without Googling). One of the Cornish constituencies. St Ives?
    In the old days, I would have guessed somewhere in Glasgow.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

The discussion of Orwell tonight illustrates the limitations of talking about "the Left" and "the Right".

"One does not decide the truth of a thought according to whether it is right-wing or left-wing."
    - Albert Camus in a letter to Jean-Paul Sartre, 30 June 1952.

You have to be very clever, just like Camus and Sartre, to not know that already.

• Options
    The luring over a quite young woman is just a bit odd, I have to be honest
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    I've just seen the 'sucking on a lollypop' picture.

Ding dong.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Looks like Florida Man was a stereotype with a bit of truth in it. Almost +5k today.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

I've looked up the answer. Islington North.

Really? I said one of the Islington seats! Do I get a prize, or was I not sufficiently specific?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

I've just seen the 'sucking on a lollypop' picture.

Ding dong.

Not wanting to endorse the views of the tin-foil hat brigade, there is something rather strange about that whole episode.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    eadric said:

Tres said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

On today’s much-discussed subject of Ash Sarkar, I have to say I like her. Yes, many of her opinions are barking, but on a personal level she seems a lot of fun.

I reckon of all the people who are mostly famous for being on Twitter she would be the best for a night out.
    Her twitter bio once stated she ‘f*cks like a champion’. Now deleted. I wonder if that’s what attracts so many men of a certain age !
    She is unquestionably hot.

There is always something satisfying about bedding a stridently left wing girl. They often turn out to be the most submissive.
    I love this site. You won't get stuff like this anywhere else.
    It's also absolutely true. I've encountered it too often in my life, and heard it from too many friends, to regard it as coincidence.

I can't work out which causes which, however.

Is it because these women are so shouty, forceful and determined in real life that they yearn to be tied up, spanked and generally bossed around between the sheets?

Or is it because they are so ashamed of their innate sexual submissiveness that they become hardened feminists fighting for equality in daily life?

There is a similar phenomenon in men, of course. Often very powerful men harbour a secret desire to be dominated, to let go of that power and be told what to do by a tall, severe lady in shiny black boots and a leather bra.

*stares at several Tory ex chancellors*
    You need to go outside
    Come come, this is the kind of precise, granular political analysis you only find on PB. It is what makes this site exceptional
    Starting to show your age if you really think there are no other places online that combine pontificating on politics and pegging.
    Links?
    mumsnet.com
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    algarkirk said:

The discussion of Orwell tonight illustrates the limitations of talking about "the Left" and "the Right".

"One does not decide the truth of a thought according to whether it is right-wing or left-wing."
    - Albert Camus in a letter to Jean-Paul Sartre, 30 June 1952.

You have to be very clever, just like Camus and Sartre, to not know that already.

Only the very smartest can tackle Camus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAy3XVn7oIU
  • Options
    eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    I am willing to bet the people luring after her are a lot older than 28. It's just a bit creepy and weird.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I'm interested in where the Times/ST is going, they seem to have become very anti-Johnson and wonder if they will attempt to shack up with Labour going forward

They seem very much to be pitching towards younger, more left wing, readership.

This is probably not a bad thing as the print media is generally quite right wing.
    No, they want the Cameroonian takeover of the party.
  • Options
    eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Is that your upper limit?
  • Options
    Can someone give me the ELI5 version of this new twatter beef? It's passed me by so far.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andrew said:

Looks like Florida Man was a stereotype with a bit of truth in it. Almost +5k today.

I don't think img tag works any more but here's your link: https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/ka/dcmmnxcyv3ju.png

It must be all the air conditioning, as we are finding outdoor gatherings are ok.

A little noticed milestone - WHO states Thursday set a record for new cases worldwide. We are all acting like the worst is over, when we are not even into the woods. This is scarcely the end of the beginning of the beginning. We are not nearly there yet.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,851

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

MP and member of party that's been in government for last 10 years complaining about an Orwellian society.

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1274715532571312128?s=20

It's getting to the stage that when anyone starts whining about something being Orwellian, you automatically discount them as a diddy incapable of original thought*.

*That describes wee Ben 'Spycatcher' Bradley in any case, so no effort needed there.

One of my all-time unfaves -

1984 was a warning not an instruction manual.

You just know to bail out when that one appears.
    80 seat majority and been in power for 10 years and 28 of the last 41.
    Yet the country is going to the dogs under the jackboot heel of the opposition.
    The Tories are the most popular party and control the government, the Left controls the culture, which they wield like a rapier to set the permitted bounds of speech and debate. This really isn't difficult to understand.
    What elements of 'the culture' does the Left control? That accusation has been levelled at things like the BBC, academia and the arts for many decades, so they're clearly not indoctrinating people very well if generation after generation are still voting for right-wing parties.
    The people keep voting for right-wing parties, in the vain hope that one day all the indoctrinated Common Purpose pen-pushers and box-tickers can be got out of the standing bureaucracy. Good luck Dominic ;)
  • Options
    Andrew said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andrew said:

I don't think img tag works any more but here's your link: https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/ka/dcmmnxcyv3ju.png

It must be all the air conditioning, as we are finding outdoor gatherings are ok.

A little noticed milestone - WHO states Thursday set a record for new cases worldwide. We are all acting like the worst is over, when we are not even into the woods. This is scarcely the end of the beginning of the beginning. We are not nearly there yet.
    edit I was wrong about the img tag.
  • Options

Really? I said one of the Islington seats! Do I get a prize, or was I not sufficiently specific?
    I was hoping to tap in to the hive mind on PB to get the answer so that I could then take credit where the question was originally posted.

Alas my crafty scheme has failed!

However I think a few of us were on the right lines thinking it would be in London.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    I am willing to bet the people luring after her are a lot older than 28. It's just a bit creepy and weird.
    28 is a bit of an oldster for those on here who feast on the blood of virgins to revitalise their raddled old loins.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,072
    eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Any lady under 50 is 'quite young' in my book. A 28 year old is a mere child! I suspect we are both of a similar date stamp.
  • Options
    From nowhere Everton could be 3-0 up. Very strange game.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Any lady under 50 is 'quite young' in my book. A 28 year old is a mere child! I suspect we are both of a similar date stamp.
    She's four years OLDER than my wife
    That makes your wife the same age as SeanT's other half.
  • Options

I was hoping to tap in to the hive mind on PB to get the answer so that I could then take credit where the question was originally posted.

Alas my crafty scheme has failed!

However I think a few of us were on the right lines thinking it would be in London.
    I think perhaps in my subconscious I had remembered a factoid about Jezza's seat being the smallest. But it had to be a Labour voting inner London seat with loads of social housing, you don't get the population density anywhere else.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Talking of sex, I noted some stats the other day that are, I feel, politically relevant

Young people have stopped having sex, in quite a staggering way:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/12/the-sex-recession/573949/

"Americans now in their early 20s are two and a half times as likely to be abstinent as Gen Xers were at that age; 15 percent report having had no sex since they reached adulthood."

" In 2005, a third of Japanese single people ages 18 to 34 were virgins; by 2015, 43 percent of people in this age group were,"

"One of the most respected sex studies in the world, Britain’s National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles, reported in 2001 that people ages 16 to 44 were having sex more than six times a month on average. By 2012, the rate had dropped to fewer than five times. Over roughly the same period, Australians in relationships went from having sex about 1.8 times a week to 1.4 times. Finland’s “Finsex” study found declines in intercourse frequency, along with rising rates of masturbation""

Why is this happening? There are loads of explanations from social media to junk food to a huge decline in testosterone:

"Studies show that men’s testosterone levels have been declining for decades. The most prominent, a 2007 study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, revealed a “substantial” drop in U.S. men’s testosterone levels since the 1980s, with average levels declining by about 1% per year"

We have bred a generation of frustrated but weedy men who go on protests rather than get laid. All is explained.
    My theory is that tinder has ruined the thrill of the chase. It's genuinely such a piece of piss to get laid in a big city these days for men and women. It takes a profile on tinder or hinge and then a slightly reasonable level of bants and paying for the first date, or skipping it entirely and inviting them over.

I really do believe that the ease of that has just made it boring. The initial hard work in getting a gf is part of the foundation of a relationship. As of today, there's basically no work required. Also, sex is better when you know the person well, sex with a stranger from tinder is a fleeting joy and ultimately quite depressing when one thinks about it for longer than a few minutes. That dawned on a lot of my formerly single friends a few years ago and almost everyone is either married or on the way to it. People in their early twenties are realising these things now but they don't have the tools to go out to a bar and get laid, they will have to learn that again before sex becomes fun and interesting again.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Is it possible that Eadric is SeanT’s Tyler Durden?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eadric said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's bollocks. Germany has a very small number of cases so the R0 is largely irrelevant at the moment. It's like saying a village has a 100% annual population growth rate when its single inhabitant gets married

Nicola Sturgeon has retweeted this silliness. An uncharacteristic error
    The Worldometer figures for Germany suggests that there has been a bit up an uptick in cases recently.
    It’s tiny though

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/
    The recent uptick can be ascribed to the testing programme having placed an emphasis on abattoirs, and other sites with similar characteristics. The first recognised hotspot of that sort was an abattoir in Bad Bramstedt (Kreis Steinburg) just north of Hamburg. After understanding the precarious nature of places like that, the decision was made to mass test any others, regardless of symptomatic indications, and they have shown to be significant reservoirs of infection.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    What can I say? Congratulations!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

eadric said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's bollocks. Germany has a very small number of cases so the R0 is largely irrelevant at the moment. It's like saying a village has a 100% annual population growth rate when its single inhabitant gets married

The Worldometer figures for Germany suggests that there has been a bit up an uptick in cases recently.
    It’s tiny though

What's the situation in Germany at the moment? I know that fans aren't going to football games. Are workers commuting to offices yet?

That would be really interesting to know. Do we have any German dwellers on PB who can let us know a.
    Many people have done so by car all the time. The lockdown of commercial activity was a little less severe than in the UK. Use of public transport has roughly doubled (at least) in Hamburg over the last month.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The Culture Wars continue on Twitter.

Owen Jones is trying to cancel some Tory at Oxford Uni

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274698217444294656?s=20

What a spectacle humanity is making of itself. I wish we could cancel the internet

To be fair, if that Tory bloke did say that about Ash Sarkar then he’s a bellend of the highest order.
    He didn't make the death threat, but he did appear to "condone it" by getting involved in the conversation, so he was a damn fool: agreed.

However I loathe this cancel culture. I loathe the relish of the cancellers, who love to tear people down. Look at this tweet from the same Owen Jones. Lusting for blood. Yuk.

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274695283658629120?s=20
    I mean, Owen Jones is also a bellend of the highest order.
    The story here is loathsome goon encourages death threats against confident young left wing woman - since nothing gets the goat of these people more than uppity dusky maidens with the wrong politics who don't know their place - and this will remain the story despite the usual tediously predictable efforts of racist, hard right culture warriors to turn it into an "Owen Jones is a wanker" narrative.

Do not collaborate, I beseech you.
    Death threats are contemptible, but Ash Sarkar is no saint
    As whataboutery goes, that is actually disgusting.

Whatever she is, she does not deserve death threats.

And even if for some obscure reason she did, then it is hard to imagine why she should receive them for posting a photo of herself eating a lollipop.

I mean, come on.
    In this brave new world, every image can be construed as fascist or stalinist or racist or whatever.
    4chan haves turned the OK symbol into a racist thing. I am puzzled as to where this leaves scuba divers - will they have to change the official OK sign?
    I wondered this to. The problem is that the "Thumbs up" sign has another meaning when you are under water, saying "I want to head back up to the surface"
    Exactly.

I believe the OK = racist thing started as a meme joke. It wasn't true. Then it got adopted by some actual racists. And opponents of racists.

Bit like the deep fried mars bars thing. In Wiltshire, they heard the story. And the local chip shop started deep frying mars bars....
    So that must be where the English tourists come from that demand DFMBs in the central Edinburgh chippies, to go with their exotic haggis pudden and chips.
    Happened in quite a lot of places, I understand. I was actually in Wiltshire when that happened at the local chip shop.
    I still find it hard to believe there is anyone stupid enough to want a DFMB, haggis and chips I can just about manage.
    Never had a DFMB but battered pizza is amazing. At least the first half is. By the end you are consumed by self loathing and you start to fall into a carb-induced coma.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The Culture Wars continue on Twitter.

Owen Jones is trying to cancel some Tory at Oxford Uni

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274698217444294656?s=20

What a spectacle humanity is making of itself. I wish we could cancel the internet

To be fair, if that Tory bloke did say that about Ash Sarkar then he’s a bellend of the highest order.
    He didn't make the death threat, but he did appear to "condone it" by getting involved in the conversation, so he was a damn fool: agreed.

However I loathe this cancel culture. I loathe the relish of the cancellers, who love to tear people down. Look at this tweet from the same Owen Jones. Lusting for blood. Yuk.

twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1274695283658629120?s=20
    I mean, Owen Jones is also a bellend of the highest order.
    The story here is loathsome goon encourages death threats against confident young left wing woman - since nothing gets the goat of these people more than uppity dusky maidens with the wrong politics who don't know their place - and this will remain the story despite the usual tediously predictable efforts of racist, hard right culture warriors to turn it into an "Owen Jones is a wanker" narrative.

Do not collaborate, I beseech you.
    Death threats are contemptible, but Ash Sarkar is no saint
    As whataboutery goes, that is actually disgusting.

Whatever she is, she does not deserve death threats.

And even if for some obscure reason she did, then it is hard to imagine why she should receive them for posting a photo of herself eating a lollipop.

I mean, come on.
    In this brave new world, every image can be construed as fascist or stalinist or racist or whatever.
    4chan haves turned the OK symbol into a racist thing. I am puzzled as to where this leaves scuba divers - will they have to change the official OK sign?
    I wondered this to. The problem is that the "Thumbs up" sign has another meaning when you are under water, saying "I want to head back up to the surface"
    Exactly.

I believe the OK = racist thing started as a meme joke. It wasn't true. Then it got adopted by some actual racists. And opponents of racists.

Bit like the deep fried mars bars thing. In Wiltshire, they heard the story. And the local chip shop started deep frying mars bars....
    So that must be where the English tourists come from that demand DFMBs in the central Edinburgh chippies, to go with their exotic haggis pudden and chips.
    Happened in quite a lot of places, I understand. I was actually in Wiltshire when that happened at the local chip shop.
    I still find it hard to believe there is anyone stupid enough to want a DFMB, haggis and chips I can just about manage.
    I always assumed a DFMB was a sort of urban legend. Admittedly I haven't been to Scotland for several years now and the last two occasions were for weddings where one wouldn't expect that sort of thing.

Whisky yes; in considerable quantity, certainly at the first one.

However I didn't see it advertised in the chippy we walked past from my B&B to the second.

Always try and buy a haggis a couple of days before Burns Night, although that's been muted lately as it clashes with Dydd Santes Dwynwen and we can't really enjoy Valentines Night nowadays, as our daughter died on Feb 14th.
    I have never seen any place that sells it either and would not buy anything from it if they did.
    The chippies in central Edinburgh, e.g in Cowgatehead/Grassmarket, certainly sell DFMBs - but they would catch the pished tourist yoof with the munchies, esp. at Arts Festival time. You know, the ones who come to the city of Hume and Hutton to eat DFMBs.

On battered pizza, I recall the conference I organised in Edinburgh once. Several of the delegates were Italian PhD students. They had gone into one of the chippies above and one of them had spotted a pizza in the warmer cabinet and pointed at it. He was dfumbfounded when the chap whipped it out, folded it in half, dipped it in batter, [edit] deep-fried it and gave it to him with his chips ...

But I bet he fucking loved it.
    He didn't, alas. Wanted what Mamma mia gave him at home.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

Bad mistake by Ms Sturgeon.
  • Options

Quiz question: Which parliamentary constituency has the smallest geographic area.

I got the biggest correct but don't know this one.

(No cheating!)

It used to be Islington North. Not sure whether it still is.
  • Options
    Well that was quite the boring match - definitely not the same with no fans there. Barely a shot on target the whole match.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Sandpit said:

Well that was quite the boring match - definitely not the same with no fans there. Barely a shot on target the whole match.

Has there been any good ones yet since the return?
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    Talking of sex, I noted some stats the other day that are, I feel, politically relevant

"Americans now in their early 20s are two and a half times as likely to be abstinent as Gen Xers were at that age; 15 percent report having had no sex since they reached adulthood."

" In 2005, a third of Japanese single people ages 18 to 34 were virgins; by 2015, 43 percent of people in this age group were,"

"One of the most respected sex studies in the world, Britain’s National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles, reported in 2001 that people ages 16 to 44 were having sex more than six times a month on average. By 2012, the rate had dropped to fewer than five times. Over roughly the same period, Australians in relationships went from having sex about 1.8 times a week to 1.4 times. Finland’s “Finsex” study found declines in intercourse frequency, along with rising rates of masturbation""

Why is this happening? There are loads of explanations from social media to junk food to a huge decline in testosterone:

"Studies show that men’s testosterone levels have been declining for decades. The most prominent, a 2007 study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, revealed a “substantial” drop in U.S. men’s testosterone levels since the 1980s, with average levels declining by about 1% per year"

We have bred a generation of frustrated but weedy men who go on protests rather than get laid. All is explained.
    My theory is that tinder has ruined the thrill of the chase. It's genuinely such a piece of piss to get laid in a big city these days for men and women. It takes a profile on tinder or hinge and then a slightly reasonable level of bants and paying for the first date, or skipping it entirely and inviting them over.

I really do believe that the ease of that has just made it boring. The initial hard work in getting a gf is part of the foundation of a relationship. As of today, there's basically no work required. Also, sex is better when you know the person well, sex with a stranger from tinder is a fleeting joy and ultimately quite depressing when one thinks about it for longer than a few minutes. That dawned on a lot of my formerly single friends a few years ago and almost everyone is either married or on the way to it. People in their early twenties are realising these things now but they don't have the tools to go out to a bar and get laid, they will have to learn that again before sex becomes fun and interesting again.
    That's a part of it, maybe, but I think the total explanation is much deeper and more complex. And you are ignoring that astounding drop in testosterone, which is born out by personal observation: young men today seem nicer, more polite, less belligerent than my generation, the aggressive ones really stand out. Young men are also much more averse to risk (risk taking is a signal of testosterone) - that explains the drop in drinking and drugging maybe.

All of this can be seen as good, perhaps, but it makes for less exciting partners for women?
    Not going to lie, being an arsehole definitely helps with women. Being nice has never worked so you're definitely onto something there. My best friend's wife actually puts it down to boys being raised by single mums, it's definitely got a lot of logic to it, but will never be studied, of course.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Has there been any good ones yet since the return?
    I thought Spurs v Man Utd was quite good.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited June 2020
    In St. Pauli football news, we fought Jahn Regensburg to a heroic 1:1 tie, Karlsruhe drew at Bielefeld, Wiesbaden lost, still five points clear, we're almost safe.

"Vorwärts!"

edit: and the HSV lost, in cringeworthy fashion, couldn't happen to a nicer club.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    I doubt it. He always struck me as a bit of a fibber, and prone to some dubious boasting
    Are you suggesting he's an absolute knob? A bit harsh I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

Another explanation I have heard is this: the reliance on very visually-oriented dating apps means that the less good looking young men don't ever get a chance.

In the past uglier men could reply on charm, luck, wit, money, status, to make up for goofy teeth. They would still get their opportunity in the bar, or at the party, when they met the girl for the first time: the girl would see past the spots and hear the jokes

These days they don't get that chance, as women just sweep left. Gone.

This means that a small subset of very good looking men get lots and lots of girls, and a large subset of unhandsome men get nothing.

This is a real problem. Incels are unhappy people. It's a kind of polygyny and polygynous societies tend to be unstable and eventually violent
    Also, you are going to have to put your other half all over the social medias. So all you instanta friends will see you are dating an ugly one, and in world of instanta is all about portraying perfection.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    SeanT would definitely not be able to abide by the first rule of Fight Club.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

Another explanation I have heard is this: the reliance on very visually-oriented dating apps means that the less good looking young men don't ever get a chance.

In the past uglier men could reply on charm, luck, wit, money, status, to make up for goofy teeth. They would still get their opportunity in the bar, or at the party, when they met the girl for the first time: the girl would see past the spots and hear the jokes

This means that a small subset of very good looking men get lots and lots of girls, and a large subset of unhandsome men get nothing.

This is a real problem. Incels are unhappy people. It's a kind of polygyny and polygynous societies tend to be unstable and eventually violent
    The ‘80/20 rule’ has been confirmed by scientific studies.
    Basically, only 20% of men are getting ‘dates’ from apps.
    https://deepstrength.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/tinder-reaffirms-the-8020-rule/
  • Options
    Is Sean's life that boring he has to talk to himself on the Internet? Tragic stuff.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    The first rule of PB is you don't talk about SeanT's alter egos.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    I’m 28. :)
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

You're probably right. There's a lot of 4-7/10 guys who struggle on tinder that would eventually get girls on nights out etc...

In general social media and the internet haven't been good for dating and marriage. Social media couples irritate me a lot.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

That's a part of it, maybe, but I think the total explanation is much deeper and more complex. And you are ignoring that astounding drop in testosterone, which is born out by personal observation: young men today seem nicer, more polite, less belligerent than my generation, the aggressive ones really stand out. Young men are also much more averse to risk (risk taking is a signal of testosterone) - that explains the drop in drinking and drugging maybe.

All of this can be seen as good, perhaps, but it makes for less exciting partners for women?
    I agree that young men are all ridiculously nice these days, it's weird. I thought maybe unleaded petrol might be part of the story there.
    Isn't the real reason that people are having less sex simply that they're pairing off later? The best way to have regular sex from a young age is to be in a long term relationship or marriage.
  • Options

Is Sean's life that boring he has to talk to himself on the Internet? Tragic stuff.

Even worse. He has to talk to us lot!
  • Options

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

I agree that young men are all ridiculously nice these days, it's weird. I thought maybe unleaded petrol might be part of the story there.
    Isn't the real reason that people are having less sex simply that they're pairing off later? The best way to have regular sex from a young age is to be in a long term relationship or marriage.
    In my experience it was being in lots of short term relationships (consecutively, not concurrently), at least when I was that age. You get variety and a lot of sex that way and you get a good chance of meeting your future wife as well (which I did in my final year).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Every time this comes up, the Tory Party reminds us of its 1800s era attitudes
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    What are the odds on that eh ;-)
  • Options
  • Options
    Isn't tinder going a bit like the facebook these days i.e increasingly middle aged folk getting on there trying to find a date inbetween their job and kids?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    CatMan said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS
    The first rule of PB is you don't talk about SeanT's alter egos.
    The second rule of PB is YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT SEANT'S ALTER EGOS!
  • Options
    Helen Whately.

"The last time there was ever something so out of its depth, the Titanic sank to the bottom of the ocean."
  • Options

Isn't tinder going a bit like the facebook these days i.e increasingly middle aged folk getting on there trying to find a date inbetween their job and kids?

From what a friend says the best girls are on hinge.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Last time it was the businesses that didn't like it. They allowed longer opening for the Olympics and I presumed that would just open the door, but loads of big business weren't fans even Sainsbury's who surely win big from it.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

How would you know?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

And despite having "a majority of 80", BoZo and Cummings are absolutely shit at party management and Parliamentary procedure
  • Options

My recent Tinder experience has been pretty positive. Bumble too.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    eristdoof said:

How would you know?
    I don't, it was a question, just based on observation that single friends seem to use it who aren't in their 20s and looking for random hookups.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1274799455116673027

I wonder if TissuePrice is on the naughty list...
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

And despite having "a majority of 80", BoZo and Cummings are absolutely shit at party management and Parliamentary procedure
    It's really strange why Tory MPs are against shops being open on Sundays. Thatcher tried to liberalise Sunday opening hours and she couldn't because of a massive rebellion from her MPs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shops_Bill_1986
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    https://twitter.com/BBCAlagiah/status/1274765443631382529

But does the BBC except some role in all this. How many frigging times was Farage on QT poisoning Britain?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1274648847424290816

Twitter was not happy a black man was shown
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:

It's really strange why Tory MPs are against shops being open on Sundays. Thatcher tried to liberalise Sunday opening hours and she couldn't because of a massive rebellion from her MPs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shops_Bill_1986
    The Tory Party at prayer used to be a joke about the CoE.

• Options

Bloody Woke Conservatives.

Errrr.....
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

As the proportion of men who know some game drops through the floor, though, even rudimentary game goes a long way offline nowadays, especially day game. Or it did, pre-lockdown.
  • Options

Indeed. How dare a third of the Conservative cabinet be ethnic minorities.
  • Options
    They put the apostrophe in the wrong place.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced that opening on Sunday is a good thing for the nation. If anything we should tighten the rules and stop larger convenience stores from opening. Sunday should be the one day of the week where the majority of people aren't working. Of course there will be people who are but we should try and have at least one day where 25m people have a day off together per week. I'm not particularly religious so they could do it on another day but Sunday seems easiest.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s tiny though

What's the situation in Germany at the moment? I know that fans aren't going to football games. Are workers commuting to offices yet?

That would be really interesting to know. Do we have any German dwellers on PB who can let us know a.
    It's a halfway house. Where it is possible, still work at home is the advice. However, shops, bars and restaurants have been open for a month now, with modest distancing rules. As far as the R figure goes, the issue is ther have been two massive hotspots in abbatoirs and a few outbreaks, e.g. Neukölln in Berlin and Göttingen in central Germany, so a single figure can't really represent what is going on. So far it seems that the outbreaks are beeing identified early and as many "locals" as possible are being tested. This is cruicial as it means the localised outbreaks can be contained.
  • Options
    eadric said:

CatMan said:

Bloody Woke Conservatives.

Errrr.....
    A least the Tories showed an actual man with his kid in their Father's Day ad, unlike Labour, who are implying that all black fathers run off and leave their kids with a "carer"
    The replies to the Tory tweet are absolutely awful and vile though - seemingly a lot of them are from Tory voters.
  • Options
    eadric said:

That is the single most unfortunate political ad I have ever seen

I think it manages to insult almost every demographic in the country
    Is the adult a man or woman, on my first view I thought it was the mother and was just confused. The graphic is absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s tiny though

It's a halfway house. Where it is possible, still work at home is the advice. However, shops, bars and restaurants have been open for a month now, with modest distancing rules. As far as the R figure goes, the issue is ther have been two massive hotspots in abbatoirs and a few outbreaks, e.g. Neukölln in Berlin and Göttingen in central Germany, so a single figure can't really represent what is going on. So far it seems that the outbreaks are beeing identified early and as many "locals" as possible are being tested. This is cruicial as it means the localised outbreaks can be contained.
    Thanks for the insight. Appreciated.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Is the adult a man or woman, on my first view I thought it was the mother and was just confused. The graphic is absolutely terrible.
    They don’t want to upset the female fathers?
  • Options
    In these woke times, even sending a fathers day tweet is a minefield.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    MaxPB said:

From what a friend says the best girls are on hinge.
    "On hinge" or "unhinged"?
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

She's 28 FFS

It's a return to the dark ages.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

I think they've been so over-sensitive and UberWoke they've tried to make the "father" look asexual, or non-binary, or whatever it is, but they've ended up with an image that looks like a black mother with her child who has been abandoned by her black father: on an ad "celebrating" Father's Day

So they've ignored all white people, insulted all black people, patronised all trans people, and seriously pissed off mothers and fathers alike, of all races.

And they got the apostrophe wrong
    Intern Sunday?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

It's super easy for Labour, just send a picture of Starmer and his kids, if they are ok with being used as props. It's the kind of thing Blair and Dave would do.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited June 2020
    MaxPB said:

I'm not convinced that opening on Sunday is a good thing for the nation. If anything we should tighten the rules and stop larger convenience stores from opening. Sunday should be the one day of the week where the majority of people aren't working. Of course there will be people who are but we should try and have at least one day where 25m people have a day off together per week. I'm not particularly religious so they could do it on another day but Sunday seems easiest.

I totally disagree.

Not up to the govt to say when and how perfectly legitimate companies should trade.

Online makes a mockery of it anyway.

And it isn't 'a day off' for restaurants, pubs, leisure staff etc anyway.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

I think they've been so over-sensitive and UberWoke they've tried to make the "father" look asexual, or non-binary, or whatever it is, but they've ended up with an image that looks like a black mother with her child who has been abandoned by her black father: on an ad "celebrating" Father's Day

So they've ignored all white people, insulted all black people, patronised all trans people, and seriously pissed off mothers and fathers alike, of all races.

Sir Keir needs to distance himself from this. This is the first massive blunder of his leadership - a real test of his judgement, courage and authority.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Um. No. Tons of people work on Sundays regardless of whether large supermarkets are able to open, and then they can’t shop for food at the end of their shift.

Your comment comes from a position of immense privilege.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    MaxPB said:

It's super easy for Labour, just send a picture of Starmer and his kids, if they are ok with being used as props. It's the kind of thing Blair and Dave would do.
    You would think, but there was probably a 3hr planning meeting to try to ensure any possible avenues of offense was ruled out.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I totally disagree.

Not up to the govt to say when and how perfectly legitimate companies should trade.

Online makes a mockery of it anyway.

And it isn't 'a day off' for restaurants, pubs, leisure staff etc anyway.
    Yes. Most shops (offline and online) are open anyway. But for some reason large shops should be shut so we can all go and pray at church, or something...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

I can't tell if the child is meant to be the same race as the adult.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Me neither.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    eadric said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Sir Keir needs to distance himself from this. This is the first massive blunder of his leadership - a real test of his judgement, courage and authority.
    You jest, I am sure

It's an obscure internet ad released on a lazy Sunday, few will notice

However it is a sign that Wokeness might be a problem for Labour in future: in their effort to satisfy everyone, and tick every PC box, they might end up infuriating most of the country

Tricky stuff. Tories should take note
    I made this point last night to CHB.

Labour cannot win from the Woke Left.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

The child looks like a weirdly tanned Japanese kid, the "father" looks like Michael Jackson after a botched sex change. If it is a father

Quite unfortunate
    At least the apostrophe is in the right place, according to OED.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    eadric said:
    That's hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.