Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Safe as houses?

124»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Apple transitioning away from Intel to ARM

... for their computers as well as iPhones.
    Good for the UK Technology Industry?

No. The Japanese bought ARM a year or two back. They own it now.
    Son/SoftBank have made so many bad bets that I wouldn't be surprised if they had to float it again to raise capital to cover losses in other parts of the business.
    WeWork says hello :-)
    It's not just WeWork. Loads of vision fund bets have gone really badly.
    If I'd performed one tenth as poorly as the Vision Fund when I was a Fund Manager, I would have been fired.

Ultimately, Softbank has done two shrewd things:

(1) it bought Vodafone Japan at the bottom of the market
    (2) it invested in Alibaba when it was a tiny company

Other than that there are a lot of duds.

With my insurance telematics industry hat on, I can you that Softbank got completely legged over when it invested $500m in Cambridge Mobile Telematics at a c. $3bn valuation.

Compass, a US realtor, was also at a completely absurd price.
    Is SoftBank interested in Vodafone Group? It's already been run into the ground, will be very cheap soon.
    Softbank - the outfit that invested in a satellite constellation (OneWeb) that was going head to head with SpaceX.

On launch price.

By launching with ESA.

I wish I could have pitched them my scheme for bio-diesel from peanuts grown in Africa....
    Going back to the ARM/silicon aspect.

"Apple’s Mac chips are expected to be built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing" (NYTimes)

If I was an Apple exec I would be worried about the deteriorating geopolitical situation in that corner of Asia.
    Which is perhaps one of the reasons a new TSMC fab is being mooted in the US.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

My new auto insurance company:

https://youtu.be/HmrRMK84GU4

10c a mile is fricking expensive though
    It really isn't.

See: https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/average-cost-of-car-insurance

If you're in Michigan, the average price of auto insurance is more than $3,000/year.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Definite vibe.

'Jake Hepple (pictured left with English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson) has claimed responsibility for the stunt.'
    The BritNats have a new Scotch branch: National Rebirth Scotland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vile-fascists-urge-glasgow-statue-22229679.amp
    edited June 2020
    Arizona hey... that's a good marketing opportunity for us...

rcs1000 said:

When's it coming to UK?
    The problem is that the UK auto insurance market just isn't that big. The US is about 15x larger, at close to $300bn vs just £15bn in the UK.

So, we're going to conquer the US first, and then come to the UK.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

See: https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/average-cost-of-car-insurance

If you're in Michigan, the average price of auto insurance is more than $3,000/year.
    But the cute lizard always tells me I can save 15% in 15 mins...

More seriously, is auto insurance not already a massively crowded market?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    Cyclefree said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The other issue - which might be pushed by Corona anyway - is to stop jobs and money being centred in London.

Get jobs created in the North, you drive through it and there's nothing there! Yet in London you can't afford a garage on a normal salary, it's insane.

London is expensive because people like living in SE England. Regardless of anything else (and there are many, many more factors), the climate is infinitely superior to the north.
    You have the zeal of the newly converted

I'm guessing you have fairly recently moved from a northern or Scottish city to London?

I agree the difference is tangible. The climate of SE England borders on the very tolerable, most of the rest of the UK sadly does not
    I’ve lived here for 21 years, but get back to friends and family enough to have regular salutary reminders of the contrast!
    Hah

Where is home?

London was blissful today. A serene, cloudless 24C all day. I had a little picnic with an old friend in Highgate and we drank a superb chilled Meursault

Meanwhile in Glasgow it was 14C with heavy rain and a "fresh breeze" - like late Autumn down south

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648579

I sometimes wonder if Scot Nat anger is fuelled by weather envy, in which case I have some bad news for them: if you ever go indy, it's still gonna be rainy and cold. Sorry guys
    From the midlands long ago but have also lived in the NE. It’s remarkable just how often London squeezes out a warm, summery day when points north struggle to record temperatures where it’s attractive to sit outside. This climatic difference is massively underplayed in my experience.
    Yes, I entirely agree. I grew up in points west where rain was much more prevalent.

I moved to London and I never want to go back, a decent climate is too important. If I ever shift again I will go further south, to more sun, not less.

Humans, ultimately, are adapted to life on the African savannah: lots of lovely sun, seldom goes below 15C, usually stays around 25-30C, rain is predictable. That's what we like, as a species, in Darwinian terms.

In particular, being able to walk out and see the stars on a warm sweet dulcet evening is a wonderful thing, I will never get over the joy.

See the stars in London? Come off it! I can see a sky stuffed full of stars up here in a way you can never do in London, no matter how warm the weather, because of the light pollution.
    Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, all visible just after 1am this month.
  • I will never forget the 10 minutes of laughter I enjoyed after reading Dominic Cummings' blog post on Artificial Intelligence. It was like buzzword bingo on steroids.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,629

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Son/SoftBank have made so many bad bets that I wouldn't be surprised if they had to float it again to raise capital to cover losses in other parts of the business.
    If I'd performed one tenth as poorly as the Vision Fund when I was a Fund Manager, I would have been fired.

With my insurance telematics industry hat on, I can you that Softbank got completely legged over when it invested $500m in Cambridge Mobile Telematics at a c. $3bn valuation.

Is SoftBank interested in Vodafone Group? It's already been run into the ground, will be very cheap soon.
    Softbank - the outfit that invested in a satellite constellation (OneWeb) that was going head to head with SpaceX.

On launch price.

By launching with ESA.

I wish I could have pitched them my scheme for bio-diesel from peanuts grown in Africa....

"Apple’s Mac chips are expected to be built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing" (NYTimes)

If I was an Apple exec I would be worried about the deteriorating geopolitical situation in that corner of Asia.
    Cyberpunk here we come. Apple starts producing a line of nuclear weapons - very expensive, very good performance. With rounded corners......

Come to think of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9B7owHxMQ
  • Intel is fucked, that's for sure.

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

Yes.

But no-one sells a product like ours.

And, three months since launch, it's going GREAT. If you know anyone in Arizona, please tell them :smile:
    Actually, I've heard lots of people say "what about prostate cancer?"
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Cyclefree said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The other issue - which might be pushed by Corona anyway - is to stop jobs and money being centred in London.

Get jobs created in the North, you drive through it and there's nothing there! Yet in London you can't afford a garage on a normal salary, it's insane.

London is expensive because people like living in SE England. Regardless of anything else (and there are many, many more factors), the climate is infinitely superior to the north.

I'm guessing you have fairly recently moved from a northern or Scottish city to London?

I agree the difference is tangible. The climate of SE England borders on the very tolerable, most of the rest of the UK sadly does not
    I’ve lived here for 21 years, but get back to friends and family enough to have regular salutary reminders of the contrast!
    Hah

Where is home?

London was blissful today. A serene, cloudless 24C all day. I had a little picnic with an old friend in Highgate and we drank a superb chilled Meursault

Meanwhile in Glasgow it was 14C with heavy rain and a "fresh breeze" - like late Autumn down south

I sometimes wonder if Scot Nat anger is fuelled by weather envy, in which case I have some bad news for them: if you ever go indy, it's still gonna be rainy and cold. Sorry guys
    From the midlands long ago but have also lived in the NE. It’s remarkable just how often London squeezes out a warm, summery day when points north struggle to record temperatures where it’s attractive to sit outside. This climatic difference is massively underplayed in my experience.
    Yes, I entirely agree. I grew up in points west where rain was much more prevalent.

I moved to London and I never want to go back, a decent climate is too important. If I ever shift again I will go further south, to more sun, not less.

Humans, ultimately, are adapted to life on the African savannah: lots of lovely sun, seldom goes below 15C, usually stays around 25-30C, rain is predictable. That's what we like, as a species, in Darwinian terms.

In particular, being able to walk out and see the stars on a warm sweet dulcet evening is a wonderful thing, I will never get over the joy.

See the stars in London? Come off it! I can see a sky stuffed full of stars up here in a way you can never do in London, no matter how warm the weather, because of the light pollution.

Tomorrow I will walk to the local bird reserve from where I can look across the bay for miles and back to Coniston and see kestrels and swift in the sky. And in the evening a barn owl flying to its nest.

And, yes, rain is wonderful: it is what makes this land so green, what makes our gardening so superb - gardening is the British talent, across all ages, classes and groups.

Water is what humans yearn for. In hot countries when the weather warms up they gravitate to the sea or lakes or, like the Persians, create gardens with water in them. We are blessed to have the climate we do.
    If anyone's ever seen stars in London...
    Kielder.
    Plus I am seeing badgers, dèer, stoats, red kite, owls within 10 minutes walk.
    Not in a park either.

Tres said:

The issue isn't planning, it's that developers are allowed to sit on land for years whilst it goes up in value.

The other issue is that houses and developments are bought up from people abroad who never live in it. That should be made illegal, it's funny a "pro Britain" Tory Party doesn't rush to ban that or tax it very heavily.

Chancellor Sunak says hello:

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/tax-levy-for-foreign-buyers-announced-in-coronavirus-focused-u-k-budget-212899
    The EvulForeignerSteealingAllTheHouses thing is largely - what's the word? - ah yes. Bollocks.

The land held by developers is held for a time that strangely matches the time it takes to get a project from initial planning to building.

Both answers are used to evade the reason for the shortage of housing. We are forbidden to build more.
    It doesn't take 15 years though. That's how long the pub that used to be outside Sevenoaks station has been a hole in the ground. They've rebuilt half of Lewisham in that time.
    I don't think you've had dealing with the British planning/developing circus.

There are those that say that Stonehenge is really a block of flats that has stalled due to a planning issue. And a developer going bankrupt.
    88% of all planning applications were granted in 2019. 90% of the decisions were made within 3 months.

Planning is not the issue.
    And the developers are quite well aware of the quotas for planning. What is the point in applying for permission that will be inevitably refused?
    Planning applications get no where near the quotas. Just look at the Growth Point scheme that is wrecking towns all across the Midlands. The quotas for these developments are the equivalent of doubling the size of some towns in less than a decade. And with the planning guidance system having been completely gutted they can pretty much do what they want.
    Doubling towns is exactly what has been asked for. And more.

Population growth of 300-400K has to go somewhere.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

On launch price.

By launching with ESA.

TSMC already has a fab in Washington state, but I don't believe its cutting edge.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    rcs1000 said:

Actually, I've heard lots of people say "what about prostate cancer?"
    Yes, and in fact people do also counter responses to tragedies close to home with 'X is happening in Y' which may be terrible but no one cares about. I get the point of that post, but it's as facile as anything it is criticising. It'd be better to not go with examples, which people will in fact be able to find, and just state the point unequivocally. The more you say, the more people will be able to pick it apart.

Intel is fucked, that's for sure.

Is it?

They've been overtaken before (AMD with x64) and bounced back. They may or may not be able to do so again. The advantage they have is that Apple is just designing chips for themselves. Intel is designing them for everyone, so they get to amortise R&D over a much greater chip business.

Sun Microsystems is a great example of the dangers of doing too much yourself. If your business ever starts to go backwards, then you find yourself with a massive cost base because you're doing chips, and hardware, and operating systems...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

Yes.

And, three months since launch, it's going GREAT. If you know anyone in Arizona, please tell them :smile:
    The proposition seems like a real market disruption if the financial savings are as they seem. I am not 101% sold on the logo or the name. But these are details and as you're really in a league of your own at the moment, aren't going to make a huge difference.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

On launch price.

By launching with ESA.

TSMC already has a fab in Washington state, but I don't believe its cutting edge.
    There aren’t many of those. And only three players in the game, though China would like to change that.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

Michigan is a state with a crazy insurance system called "No fault insurance". If someone whacks your car then YOUR insurance takes the hit, not the other party's insurer.
    rcs1000 said:

Is it?

They've been overtaken before (AMD with x64) and bounced back. They may or may not be able to do so again. The advantage they have is that Apple is just designing chips for themselves. Intel is designing them for everyone, so they get to amortise R&D over a much greater chip business.

Sun Microsystems is a great example of the dangers of doing too much yourself. If your business ever starts to go backwards, then you find yourself with a massive cost base because you're doing chips, and hardware, and operating systems...
    ARM are on a very nice roll - and have been for a long time. Mobile = battery life = efficiency....
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

Trump to win Michigan at 3.1 on betfair worth a punt I reckon. Latest polls had him down only by 1 or 2, and Michigan is exactly the kind of place where undercounted white working class might make him overperform his polling.

Agreed. It's quite possible that Trump wins Michigan, but not the Presidency (see Florida).

But if he loses Michigan, then I think he really struggles to win the Presidency, because that means the Midwest is lost.

3-1 is great odds. Take it.
    Agreed re Michigan. I think if that is the case though, PA is also worth a bet, especially if Trump is making small but crucial progress in the Black vote.
    If you can get 3-1 on PA, I'd definitely take that too. Both those are really attractive odds. (Certainly way better value than betting at less than 3-2 on Trump for the Presidency.)
  • rcs1000 said:

Is it?

Intel is in a rut right now and it shows. They may well bounce back - but losing a massive customer in Apple is happening at the worst possible time for them.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Detailed tables out for that Panelbase poll showing support for Scottish independence at 54%.

The party breakdowns are fascinating:
    (Yes; No)

SNP voters 92%; 8%
    Lab voters 43%; 57%
    Lib Dem voters 16%; 84%
    Con voters 6%; 94%

Country of birth is also a key factor:
    (Yes; No)

Born in Scotland 56%; 44%
    Born in England 29%; 71%
    Born elsewhere 52%; 48%

Women are more polarised than men, with young women (under 35) being the strongest pro-independence group at 71%; whereas older women (55+) are the strongest pro-Union group at 61%.

ABC1s are split pretty much 50/50, while C2DEs have broken decisively for independence.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/uploads/W15277-Scottish-Omnibus-tables-for-publication-v1-190620.pdf

Sample size: 1070 Adults resident in Scotland
    Fieldwork dates: 15 June 2020 - 19 June 2020

'Born elsewhere' would have been solidly No in 2014.
    rcs1000 said:

Is it?

Even IBM got out of chip fab some years back
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

Yes.

If you don't mind me asking, how many businesses do you have these days?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

As if.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

Trump to win Michigan at 3.1 on betfair worth a punt I reckon. Latest polls had him down only by 1 or 2, and Michigan is exactly the kind of place where undercounted white working class might make him overperform his polling.

Agreed. It's quite possible that Trump wins Michigan, but not the Presidency (see Florida).

But if he loses Michigan, then I think he really struggles to win the Presidency, because that means the Midwest is lost.

3-1 is great odds. Take it.
    Agreed re Michigan. I think if that is the case though, PA is also worth a bet, especially if Trump is making small but crucial progress in the Black vote.
    If you can get 3-1 on PA, I'd definitely take that too. Both those are really attractive odds. (Certainly way better value than betting at less than 3-2 on Trump for the Presidency.)
    3.1 is 2-1 though
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756

Definite vibe.

'Jake Hepple (pictured left with English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson) has claimed responsibility for the stunt.'
    The BritNats have a new Scotch branch: National Rebirth Scotland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vile-fascists-urge-glasgow-statue-22229679.amp
    These wee souls are a bit confused, half the the time they're complaining about being oppressed by the evil Natzis, the rest they're ripping out Hitlergrüße in defence of the George Square Cenotaph.

Cyclefree said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Hah

Where is home?

They are bright planets Sunil. You will not be seeing magnitude 5 stars or the dust clouds in Cygnus and Sagittarius...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    [Don't think this has been posted before].

31 seats swung from Conservative to Labour at the 2019 general election:

Bradford West 6.47%
    Putney 6.39%
    Portsmouth South 3.91%
    Cardiff North 2.62%
    Fife North East 2.61%
    Battersea 2.53%
    Wycombe 2.30%
    Reading East 1.90%
    Twickenham 1.56%
    Bath 1.48%
    Bethnal Green & Bow 1.40%
    Canterbury 1.36%
    Chingford & Woodford Green 1.29%
    Leeds North East 0.89%
    Maidenhead 0.82%
    Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk 0.76%
    Rutherglen & Hamilton West 0.75%
    Ross, Skye & Lochaber 0.74%
    Bristol North West 0.69%
    Glasgow North 0.60%
    Croydon Central 0.55%
    Rushcliffe 0.55%
    Beckenham 0.51%
    Altrincham & Sale West 0.48%
    Vauxhall 0.35%
    Runnymede & Weybridge 0.34%
    Airdrie & Shotts 0.24%
    Enfield Southgate 0.20%
    Kingston & Surbiton 0.07%
    Richmond Park 0.04%
    Poplar & Limehouse 0.03%

Detailed tables out for that Panelbase poll showing support for Scottish independence at 54%.

(Yes; No)

SNP voters 92%; 8%
    Lab voters 43%; 57%
    Lib Dem voters 16%; 84%
    Con voters 6%; 94%

(Yes; No)

Born in England 29%; 71%
    Born elsewhere 52%; 48%

Women are more polarised than men, with young women (under 35) being the strongest pro-independence group at 71%; whereas older women (55+) are the strongest pro-Union group at 61%.

ABC1s are split pretty much 50/50, while C2DEs have broken decisively for independence.

https://www.drg.global/wp-content/uploads/W15277-Scottish-Omnibus-tables-for-publication-v1-190620.pdf

'Born elsewhere' would have been solidly No in 2014.
    Hence much squawking about using the 2014 franchise for a second referendum (a referendum that's not going to happen of course).

rcs1000 said:

Is it?

Intel is in a rut right now and it shows. They may well bounce back - but losing a massive customer in Apple is happening at the worst possible time for them.
    But Apple will have driven a hard bargain with Intel - no way are they paying anything close to list. So, sure, they're losing a big customer, but I suspect the margins on those sales aren't great.

If you want to learn about microprocessor design (sadly not including ARM, although there's a good discussion about RISC generally), then this Jon Stokes' Inside the Machine is excellent.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't.

Yes.

If you don't mind me asking, how many businesses do you have these days?
    This is my day job :smile:

I have a few other business interests.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Is it?

Intel absolutely rules the roost in the server space and while the consumer business has been lacking the server business is still going strong.

AMD has an advantage on the process node, intel really fucked it with 10nm but it looks like they finally have the issues fixed 4 years late. What I think helps them is that their 10nm process has the same transistor density as the TSMC 7nm+ process and their 10nm fabs have a lot of crossover investment for 7nm and 5nm do shifting down to those won't be as bad.

There was also talk that Intel may begin opening up fab capacity to select third parties like Apple, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they get the fab contract for Apple back sooner rather than later.

As for AMD, I fear their supremacy will be short lived. I remember reading the anandtech piece on the original Core architecture it was titled "The Empire Strikes Back" (https://www.anandtech.com/show/2045) and for good reason. I'm almost certain the next major microarchitecture release will put Intel quite a few steps ahead of AMD again. Their semi-custom business will continue to do well as long as the PS5 does as well as expected.

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Tres said:

The issue isn't planning, it's that developers are allowed to sit on land for years whilst it goes up in value.

The other issue is that houses and developments are bought up from people abroad who never live in it. That should be made illegal, it's funny a "pro Britain" Tory Party doesn't rush to ban that or tax it very heavily.

Chancellor Sunak says hello:

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/tax-levy-for-foreign-buyers-announced-in-coronavirus-focused-u-k-budget-212899
    The EvulForeignerSteealingAllTheHouses thing is largely - what's the word? - ah yes. Bollocks.

The land held by developers is held for a time that strangely matches the time it takes to get a project from initial planning to building.

Both answers are used to evade the reason for the shortage of housing. We are forbidden to build more.
    It doesn't take 15 years though. That's how long the pub that used to be outside Sevenoaks station has been a hole in the ground. They've rebuilt half of Lewisham in that time.
    I don't think you've had dealing with the British planning/developing circus.

There are those that say that Stonehenge is really a block of flats that has stalled due to a planning issue. And a developer going bankrupt.
    88% of all planning applications were granted in 2019. 90% of the decisions were made within 3 months.

Planning is not the issue.
    And the developers are quite well aware of the quotas for planning. What is the point in applying for permission that will be inevitably refused?
    Planning applications get no where near the quotas. Just look at the Growth Point scheme that is wrecking towns all across the Midlands. The quotas for these developments are the equivalent of doubling the size of some towns in less than a decade. And with the planning guidance system having been completely gutted they can pretty much do what they want.
    Doubling towns is exactly what has been asked for. And more.

Population growth of 300-400K has to go somewhere.
    It is not what is wanted by the people themselves. Particularly when their geography and services cannot take it. So much so that when the Newark and Sherwood District Council decided to apply for Growth Point status with the aim of doubling the size of the town, they did it in secret and didn't announce it until after it had been agreed by the Government and the contracts signed.

They claimed this was because of 'commercial confidentiality' but it was obvious it was to stop any local opposition.

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Is it?

Intel absolutely rules the roost in the server space and while the consumer business has been lacking the server business is still going strong.

AMD has an advantage on the process node, intel really fucked it with 10nm but it looks like they finally have the issues fixed 4 years late. What I think helps them is that their 10nm process has the same transistor density as the TSMC 7nm+ process and their 10nm fabs have a lot of crossover investment for 7nm and 5nm do shifting down to those won't be as bad.

There was also talk that Intel may begin opening up fab capacity to select third parties like Apple, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they get the fab contract for Apple back sooner rather than later.

As for AMD, I fear their supremacy will be short lived. I remember reading the anandtech piece on the original Core architecture it was titled "The Empire Strikes Back" (https://www.anandtech.com/show/2045) and for good reason. I'm almost certain the next major microarchitecture release will put Intel quite a few steps ahead of AMD again. Their semi-custom business will continue to do well as long as the PS5 does as well as expected.

Have you read Inside the Machine (https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Machine-Introduction-Microprocessors-Architecture/dp/1593276680). If you haven't, you really should. It's excellent.
    HYUFD said:
    The really astonishing number there is the PS one. The party of the the last President of France, Francois Hollande, is currently polling 3% for the next election.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

(Yes; No)

SNP voters 92%; 8%
    Lab voters 43%; 57%
    Lib Dem voters 16%; 84%
    Con voters 6%; 94%

(Yes; No)

Born in England 29%; 71%
    Born elsewhere 52%; 48%

Actually only 50% Yes including Don't Knows
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    The really astonishing number there is the PS one. The party of the the last President of France, Francois Hollande, is currently polling 3% for the next election.
    It has lost its centrist vote to Macron, its far left vote to Melenchon and its bluecollar vote to Le Pen, leaving it just a skeleton
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928

Cyclefree said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Hah

Where is home?

They are bright planets Sunil. You will not be seeing magnitude 5 stars or the dust clouds in Cygnus and Sagittarius...
    I'm just saying! Not often you can see 3 planets all at once!
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    It has lost its centrist vote to Macron, its far left vote to Melenchon and its bluecollar vote to Le Pen, leaving it just a skeleton
    Yep. A real reminder that parties of power can really lose it if the wind blows the wrong way.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    Re: this post - does the old adage still apply: "Tories are crooks, and crooks are Tories"?

Re; previous post - submit that reason for poor attendance at recent Tulsa Trumpfest was NOT due to social media shenanigans by anti-Trumpers. Instead, the real reason was the Crud PLUS Trumpsky's falling support, as shown by virtually every recent poll from every part of America.

IF there were hordes of eager Putinists, then surely those supposedly shut out by the social media deal, would have been directed to come on down and participate via the overflow venue. BUT THERE WAS NO OVERFLOW.

Why? Because after nearly four years of his bilge, Trumps ratings are sagging badly - a phenomenon well-known to TV schedulers.

Essentially the US version of "The Apprentice" is in its 17th season, with The Donald in the title role since 2018. Was lots of fun UNTIL he actually got the job.

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Not impossible for Le Pen to win from here.

Eventually a far right leader will win, in a major European country.
    Yeah, but she's tacked a long way towards the centre. She's disavowed her dad and kicked him out the FN. She's now in favour of France stating in the EU (so long as they don't let any people in from outside Europe).

She's cleverly pulled the FN to take a share of the LR vote as well as the working class PS vote.

Re: this post - does the old adage still apply: "Tories are crooks, and crooks are Tories"?

Re; previous post - submit that reason for poor attendance at recent Tulsa Trumpfest was NOT due to social media shenanigans by anti-Trumpers. Instead, the real reason was the Crud PLUS Trumpsky's falling support, as shown by virtually every recent poll from every part of America.

IF there were hordes of eager Putinists, then surely those supposedly shut out by the social media deal, would have been directed to come on down and participate via the overflow venue. BUT THERE WAS NO OVERFLOW.

Why? Because after nearly four years of his bilge, Trumps ratings are sagging badly - a phenomenon well-known to TV schedulers.

Essentially the US version of "The Apprentice" is in its 17th season, with The Donald in the title role since 2018. Was lots of fun UNTIL he actually got the job.

The social media shenanigans caused Trump/Pascale to rent a stadium that they didn't need.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The first round maybe but Salvini in Italy still looks like the most likely populist right leader in a major continental European nation
  • Rob_downunderRob_downunder Posts: 128
    edited June 2020
    I see that members of the far right are so incensed that twitter has banned Katie Hopkins, they've gone off to join an echo chamber of right wing nonsense and antisemitism. Remarkably this now includes 3 conservative MPs...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/parler-app-mps-right-wing-twitter-katie-hopkins-a9579241.html

It also is apparently home to a hefty number of Saudi 'bot' accounts who were shut down on Twitter.

Ben Bradley has never struck me as one of the brightest MPs around, but how daft would you have to be to actively go out and promote this nonsense?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,153

(Yes; No)

SNP voters 92%; 8%
    Lab voters 43%; 57%
    Lib Dem voters 16%; 84%
    Con voters 6%; 94%

(Yes; No)

Born in England 29%; 71%
    Born elsewhere 52%; 48%

I've said it before, but the crucial swing vote is clearly amongst 2019 SLAB voters. The survival of the union depends very much upon what Labour does.
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The first round maybe but Salvini in Italy still looks like the most likely populist right leader in a major continental European nation
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1275162438082670597?s=20

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1275149239031599105?s=20
    Total lawlessness in parts of US inner cities now

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1275218781845905408?s=20
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Man, if that's the result, Italy is likely to spend most of the next five years in coalition negotiations.

(Yes; No)

SNP voters 92%; 8%
    Lab voters 43%; 57%
    Lib Dem voters 16%; 84%
    Con voters 6%; 94%

(Yes; No)

Born in England 29%; 71%
    Born elsewhere 52%; 48%

I've said it before, but the crucial swing vote is clearly amongst 2019 SLAB voters. The survival of the union depends very much upon what Labour does.
    Anyway indyref2 will only be allowed under a future Labour government
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    Real James Woods is real Putinist progagandist. Caveat emptor valde
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Man, if that's the result, Italy is likely to spend most of the next five years in coalition negotiations.
    That's a win for the centre-right bloc, which is averaging about 50% right now.
  • Real James Woods is real Putinist progagandist. Caveat emptor valde

This "James Woods" persona is SeanT's early masterpiece. Have you ever seen the two of them in the same room?
    Just sayin'...

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That's a win for the centre-right bloc, which is averaging about 50% right now.
    Yes, but only assuming that all the parties play nicely together.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Italian_general_election
    eadric said:

America is so fucked

Trump is going to say during the campaign: Republican areas are well governed, Democrat areas are descending into chaos.
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

America is so fucked

Trump is going to say during the campaign: Republican areas are well governed, Democrat areas are descending into chaos.
    He will.

It opens up a path for him in Minnesota and Michigan and Pennsylvania (although less so in Wisconsin, I suspect).

But the risk for him is that a number of states he needs to win (Arizona and Florida being chief among them) might have second lockdowns before November. That's gonna absolutely hammer the Republicans.
    'One with love, one with God, one with truth.'

https://twitter.com/jonvoight/status/1275217773711355905?s=20
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

This is a rather good, balanced analysis of the Great American Decay. The author is a photo-journalist who gets insults from Left AND Right, which is a promising sign

https://americancompass.org/respect-the-rage/

One of the first things the article says is "...are tired of being mocked". But why take notice of people who are mocking you? As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent".
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited June 2020
    OT big opportunity for the UK with Trump suspending tech visas, they should just say, "move your company to the UK, anyone with an existing US tech visa automatically gets a UK visa, and if you have a pending US application send it to us instead".
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    HYUFD said:

[six tweets with humungous images]

Any chance you could go easy on the retweeting? Each of those was like a full screen of scrolling...
    O/T

"The terror suspect accused of killing three men in a Reading park had been involved in the government’s Prevent deradicalisation programme, The Times has learnt.

Khairi Saadallah, a Libyan given asylum in 2018, was assessed by mentors in the anti-extremism scheme, which aims to stop individuals becoming terrorists.

Prevent officials did not consider Mr Saadallah to be a terror threat, according to well-placed sources. He was given support from a number of agencies. MI5 investigated intelligence that he wanted to travel to Syria, but it was not considered credible."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/reading-killings-suspect-khairi-saadallah-was-on-anti-terror-programme-72pvhpjvd
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

This thread has been redeveloped

This discussion has been closed.