Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Like September’s @LordAshcroft poll latest constituency pol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Like September’s @LordAshcroft poll latest constituency polling finds bigger CON>LAB swings than current national polling

Tonight we’ve got four new Alan Bown funded specific constituency polls carried out by Survation and the message is not good for the blues. Bown is a UKIP donor and national office holder.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Grim for the Tories.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    The Survation web-page with the details mentions links to the tables of the "7 polls published so far". More to come?
  • Options
    FPT (Curse of the new thread):
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, I believe Gustavus Adolphus was a Swedish chap. TA Dodge wrote a bio/history of his wars. Keep meaning to find it.

Annoyingly some new versions of Dodge's histories have been released and they're enormously abridged (but don't say so). That kind of thing really pisses me off.

On-topic: this may narrow. Right now Labour benefit hugely (although not quite exclusively, thanks to UKIP) from any voters not pro-Coalition. When the time comes to make a decision, hopefully people will shudder at the prospect of PM Miliband and vote for someone else.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited December 2013
    FPT:
    AveryLP said:

A few words of caution, Max. Deliberately devil's advocate to prompt a response.

No bank executive however senior has the power (nor should have the power) to offer employment to an individual met for the first time outside the bank in a purely social environment. This doesn't mean that the offer isn't genuine just that it will be "subject to contract" and you will almost certainly need to go through a formal interview and assessment process both at line management and HR levels before any offer can be formalised. Treat the offer as an invitation "to come in for a chat" at this stage.

A good analyst will first do his own analysis of any job offer and employer first. By asking for advice here you are doing that, but try to meet analysts of your age and proposed seniority first. Generally an analyst will work shorter hours than, say, those in corporate finance or in trading divisions, but there is a clear relationship between reward and effort and you are likely to be sucked into a hot house competitive culture if you want to progress.

Large organisations rarely thank those that commit to their success. And banks are amongst the worst offenders. Take a job on your terms only: i.e. if it makes sense to you at the time. Don't expect more from your employer and certainly don't fall for any of the paternalistic career path and lifetime support crap pedalled by HR executives. The City pays high so it is free to hire and fire. And there are few fifty year old equity analysts taking the tube into the City in the morning.

Are you a big company man or do you prefer the relationships and freedoms involved in working in a smaller more personal unit? Most of the friends I knew who started in equity analysis at large city institutions are now working for themselves doing something completely different (setting up a vineyard for example). Some have migrated to hedge funds where they are partners in much smaller units. Only one or two have survived the original corporate jungle and have become senior executives (one to be fair is not yet 50).

My final word is to go into any offer with your eyes open and your expectations real. Don't focus only on the money, or if you do, fix only on the short term and keep your options open for the future.

All said, go for it if the job offer is genuine and you think that there is a fit between your needs and the opportunity. Working in the City is an unquestioned opportunity to accelerate your climb up the money tree.

Thanks for taking the time ALP.

Oh don't get me wrong my eyes are open. I don't see myself being in the same job in 5 years time. For me it's a short to medium term move that may help my future career outside of banking as I will gain experience outside of software development.

He has arranged the meeting for 4pm tomorrow at his office. He assured me it's not an interview and to dress casually...
  • Options
    @Mr Dancer

The Battle of Breitenfeld was one of the better military victories in history, up there with the Battle of Alesia, in defeating a numerically superior opponent.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I know, I meant the phrase "so far" is suggestive, not the number 7.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    edited December 2013
    Quincel said:

I know, I meant the phrase "so far" is suggestive, not the number 7.
    Sorry, I'm not having a very good evening so far.

I believe it is 8 in total.

So one more to go.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, why quote such an obscure battle rather than Cannae? And if you were going for obscurity Arausio would be better.

Adolphus is probably too modern. I've begun reading (slowly) Vegetius' military thingummyjig. If there's a cheap version I might try Fronto next.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

AveryLP said:

A few words of caution, Max. Deliberately devil's advocate to prompt a response.

No bank executive however senior has the power (nor should have the power) to offer employment to an individual met for the first time outside the bank in a purely social environment. This doesn't mean that the offer isn't genuine just that it will be "subject to contract" and you will almost certainly need to go through a formal interview and assessment process both at line management and HR levels before any offer can be formalised. Treat the offer as an invitation "to come in for a chat" at this stage.

A good analyst will first do his own analysis of any job offer and employer first. By asking for advice here you are doing that, but try to meet analysts of your age and proposed seniority first. Generally an analyst will work shorter hours than, say, those in corporate finance or in trading divisions, but there is a clear relationship between reward and effort and you are likely to be sucked into a hot house competitive culture if you want to progress.

Large organisations rarely thank those that commit to their success. And banks are amongst the worst offenders. Take a job on your terms only: i.e. if it makes sense to you at the time. Don't expect more from your employer and certainly don't fall for any of the paternalistic career path and lifetime support crap pedalled by HR executives. The City pays high so it is free to hire and fire. And there are few fifty year old equity analysts taking the tube into the City in the morning.

Are you a big company man or do you prefer the relationships and freedoms involved in working in a smaller more personal unit? Most of the friends I knew who started in equity analysis at large city institutions are now working for themselves doing something completely different (setting up a vineyard for example). Some have migrated to hedge funds where they are partners in much smaller units. Only one or two have survived the original corporate jungle and have become senior executives (one to be fair is not yet 50).

My final word is to go into any offer with your eyes open and your expectations real. Don't focus only on the money, or if you do, fix only on the short term and keep your options open for the future.

All said, go for it if the job offer is genuine and you think that there is a fit between your needs and the opportunity. Working in the City is an unquestioned opportunity to accelerate your climb up the money tree.

Oh don't get me wrong my eyes are open. I don't see myself being in the same job in 5 years time. For me it's a short to medium term move that may help my future career outside of banking as I will gain experience outside of software development.

He has arranged the meeting for 4pm tomorrow at his office. He assured me it's not an interview and to dress casually...
    Max

The informal chat is the right next step. Ask him, if you can, to introduce you to the analysts and fix a meeting with one or more over drinks.

Good luck.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, why quote such an obscure battle rather than Cannae? And if you were going for obscurity Arausio would be better.

Adolphus is probably too modern. I've begun reading (slowly) Vegetius' military thingummyjig. If there's a cheap version I might try Fronto next.

Cannae, the Carthiginians were outnumbered 1.72 to 1

At Alesia, the Romans were outnumbered 5.5 to 1
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    UKIP stands firmly anchored in the British political firmament.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

AveryLP said:

Max, I've had a few of those. I tend to go sharp suit and open neck in that scenario. Covers most bases. There's nothing worse sartorially IMO for a bloke than being told to dress casually :)
    Best of luck mate and let him do most of the talking if you can would be my advice.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, there were few Carthaginians fighting. Mostly the cavalry was Numidian and the infantry Celtiberian, Liby-Phoenician and Gallic. And consider the opponents. Roman citizens fighting in full armour are rather more impressive than Celtic tribesmen.

I also think your numerical comparison is a little on the generous side to the Romans (for Cannae, it's been too long since I read about Caesar for me to comment on Alesia).
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

AveryLP said:

...let him do most of the talking if you can would be my advice.

Excellent advice, Bobajob.

Interviewers who like to talk never fail to employ themselves.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,070
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

Initially I read that as 'fundament'.

UKIP, 'pile'-ing up the votes for second places.
  • Options
    Senior trade union leaders have said the Better Together campaign against Scottish independence risks being tarnished by significant donations from Tory donors and senior financiers.

The GMB union, one of the UK's largest, said union members and Labour activists would be alarmed that Tory donors, bankers and businesspeople linked to the intelligence services were on Better Together's latest list of backers.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/16/better-together-donor-list-scottish-independence
  • Options

If you want a good introduction to the 40 Years War (in which Gustav Adolf played a big part) Peter H Wilson's Europe's Tradegy is a good start. But lacks maps, which is annoying as the action shifts from Bohemia to Schleswig to the Rhine and back again. Vegetius is worth a read, though.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Bognor Regis swing is wrong in the thread header.

Con -14
    Lab +6

Swing = 10%, not 15% as per thread header.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    I commented on the Crewe numbers in the last thread. Looking at Bognor Regis & Littlehampton (BR&L), it's not as rock-solid Conservative as you might think. Yes, Nick Gibb got 51% in 2010 but the Tory share was 44-45% throughout the Labour years so the drop to 37% isnt as drastic as it seems.

F&H is, as others have said, unusual in that, as Michael Howard's seat, it was more vulnerable to national factors than BR&L. In 1997, Howard got 39% (John Aspinall stood as an independent) but that vote rebounded to 45% in 2001 and 54% (when Howard was Conservative leader) in 2005. 35% would represent a small slide from 1997.

I would argue that while Crewe looks very good for Labour, Yarmouth's numbers should be ringing alarm bells aplenty. The 37% Labour share equates to their 1979 and 1992 number when they lost comfortably to the Conservatives. The huge rise in UKIP distorts the scene considerably but that will be far more heartening for the Conservatives in terms of swing and potential than Crewe.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, cheers for the recommendation.

Not sure when I'll be buying new books, though. Poverty, a long reading list and probably receiving a few for Christmas means it could be a while.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Don't forget between now and the GE there will be swingback, Ed will be crapper, Balls will be even crapper, Dave will look fantastic, the Universal Credit will be a success(oh wait there), the housing boom, wages will be 10% above inflation, petrol will be 50p a litre, there will be a crossover in the lead of the national opinion polls at Xmas(Cheers Avery,) UKIP will fall, Lib Dems will rise, a booming economy that will benefit not just our fundraisers..........hold on, hold on......Dan Hodges has just been informed that an unnamed Tory informant has told him the Tory Party have done a similar poll which shows a 12% swing to the Tories.

Ignore all these Grudian, BBC lefty polls.

Stand PB Hodges....Stand!
  • Options

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Don't forget between now and the GE there will be swingback, better Economy, Ed will be crapper, Balls will be even crapper, Dave will look fantastic, the Universal Credit will be a success(oh wait there), the housing boom, wages will be 10% above inflation, petrol will be 50p a litre, there will be a crossover in the lead of the national opinion polls at Xmas(Cheers Avery,) UKIP will fall, Lib Dems will rise..........hold on, hold on......Dan Hodges has just been informed that an unnamed Tory informant has told him the Tory Party have done a similar poll which shows a 12% swing to the Tories.

With that level of insight, easy communication and articulacy, please apply to D. Levy, WH Lane.

You've got a great chance..
  • Options

MikeK said:

You're obviously disturbed by UKIP. Like a Bay City Rollers' fan in 1976 hearing her brother talking about the Sex Pistols.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Don't forget between now and the GE there will be swingback, better Economy, Ed will be crapper, Balls will be even crapper, Dave will look fantastic, the Universal Credit will be a success(oh wait there), the housing boom, wages will be 10% above inflation, petrol will be 50p a litre, there will be a crossover in the lead of the national opinion polls at Xmas(Cheers Avery,) UKIP will fall, Lib Dems will rise..........hold on, hold on......Dan Hodges has just been informed that an unnamed Tory informant has told him the Tory Party have done a similar poll which shows a 12% swing to the Tories.

With that level of insight, easy communication and articulacy, please apply to D. Levy, WH Lane.

I've backed Hoddle, but it looks like Tim Sherwood for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

AVB to Spurs what Messina and Crosby are to the Tories.......spent loads of money and in a worse position than when they come in.

• Options
    Gibber gibber wibble wobble.

Jelly on a plate.

Come on you Spurs and Blues....
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all, while we Tories shouldn't be complacent, I well remember 1980-1982 when we were losing ultra safe seats in by-elections to the then new kids on the block the SDP. In 1983 we took them back. The 500 or so people in each constituency who participated were not being asked to elect a government. Let's see what happens in 2015. I suspect Tory holds across the board.
  • Options
    I've also backed Spurs to beat West Ham on Wednesday
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Gibber gibber wibble wobble.

Jelly on a plate.

Come on you Spurs and Blues....

Both going in the wrong direction and being humped by the reds.
  • Options

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

I've backed Hoddle, but it looks like Tim Sherwood for the rest of the season.
    Tim's got a great chance if he can get some results before the FA Cup match...
  • Options

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

AVB to Spurs what Messina and Crosby are to the Tories.......spent loads of money and in a worse position than when they come in.

I thought that was all Labour Governments.....

Can you see what I did there?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, are you trying to upset Spurs fans even more? Haven't they suffered enough?

[I quite like not actually supporting any team/driver in F1. It's less tribal than football anyway, it must be said].
  • Options

Evening all, while we Tories shouldn't be complacent, I well remember 1980-1982 when we were losing ultra safe seats in by-elections to the then new kids on the block the SDP. In 1983 we took them back. The 500 or so people in each constituency who participated were not being asked to elect a government. Let's see what happens in 2015. I suspect Tory holds across the board.

http://www.aawaj.com/community/image/web/gallery/aononno_1281037854_04C091.jpg
  • Options

TSE you'll be renamed ToSsEr if you keep jinxing my effing team like this....
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I beg you take courage, Tories; the brave soul can mend even disaster.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited December 2013
    Which reminds me, the tyre test is 17-19 December. Pirelli will be trying to make them pretty hard/durable, I suspect. Only problem is that that is contrary to what the FIA wants (a 2 stop average, I think).

Edited extra bit: a fine quote, Miss Carola the Great.
  • Options

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Lol! I did see what you did there. If only we can see was Bert and Ernie are supposed to be doing for the Blues for the hundreds of thousands of pounds. Go Funky Cold and Lynton.
  • Options

MikeK said:

You're obviously disturbed by UKIP. Like a Bay City Rollers' fan in 1976 hearing her brother talking about the Sex Pistols.
    Lol, say it wasn't so little sister!
    Unlike UKIP, the Pistols hit the ground running in Scotland. An unnholy admixture of Chas'n'Dave & Skrewdriver is probably more the Kipper mark.
  • Options

Oi, my strategy of backing whoever Liverpool are playing is yielding great success this season.

But realistically, West Ham can't score in a brothel at the moment, they're near the relegation zone, you're near the champs league spots.
  • Options

Mr. Lilburne, cheers for the recommendation.

Not sure when I'll be buying new books, though. Poverty, a long reading list and probably receiving a few for Christmas means it could be a while.

It took me a while to read. You learn a lot about the Holy Roman empire - the war itself doesn't break out until about page 275.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Look in the Oven!

Thought this was rather funny pic.twitter.com/0ebqiJR81z

— Peter Kerr (@tyres2u) December 16, 2013
  • Options

Oi, my strategy of backing whoever Liverpool are playing is yielding great success this season.

But realistically, West Ham can't score in a brothel at the moment, they're near the relegation zone, you're near the champs league spots.

Oh dear, who did West Ham score three against away from home?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Payback and Karma are bitches.

After spoiling Strictly last weekend for you, one of my friend's has managed to reveal and spoil the last episode of Homeland, that aired in the US last night and airs in the UK on Sunday.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Lol! I did see what you did there. If only we can see was Bert and Ernie are supposed to be doing for the Blues for the hundreds of thousands of pounds. Go Funky Cold and Lynton.
    Interesting you think of Bert and Ernie.... is this why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2347947/Poll-Ed-Miliband-confused-Bert-form-Sesame-Street.html
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I recall someone or other telling me that the Holy Roman Empire wasn't holy, wasn't Roman, and wasn't an empire.

From the snippets I've gleaned from here and there it would seem to be the least accurate title in the world (excepting Gordon Brown's proclamation of himself as Saviour of the World).
  • Options

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2347947/Poll-Ed-Miliband-confused-Bert-form-Sesame-Street.html
    I was going to say Waldorf and Stadler, however, they were usually good at spotting a poor comedy show.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Is it not likely that a major UKIP donor would be funding polls in seats where UKIP is likely to be doing disproportionately well? Going by this poll UKIP should be on for about a 24% vote share. I think not. And if we're dealing with seats where UKIP are doing well, then the likelihood is that the Tories are doing badly and so so the Con > Lab swing will be disproportionate.

Interesting but I wouldn't be popping the champagne corks in Labour central office.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Stand PB Hodges...Stand!

Ed Miliband Bert was linked to Osama Bin Laden

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/bert.asp
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    This is a fascinating poll.

It is indeed bad news for the Conservatives, as many have posted, but the collapse of the LibDem vote is startling. 14% to 4% in Great Yarmouth is no great shakes - from also-ran to also-ran, effectively. But from 30% to 10% in Folkestone & Hythe is terrible for them.
  • Options

Oh dear, who did West Ham score three against away from home?
    Lulling them into a fall sense of security.

See Dieppe 1943 and Operation Overlord in 1944
  • Options
    On topic. Hmmmmm Farage has said he will look to the Libdems election tactics to build his base. Looking at those and previous Bown polls I can sense how a load of 'Only UKIP can stop the Tories/ Labour here' bar chart leaflets flooding numerous constituencies!

One of the big unknowns is exactly how much UKIP can utilise tactical voting and whether faced with Labour victory in their constiuency will Conservative voters be more willing to vote tactically if they have the option of voting UKIP?
  • Options

Our only fit CB is suspended for this game - yes it's Dawson who is as mobile as a [insert large building of choice] - so we have no CBs at all potentially, no Sandro or Paulinho either.

there is however still Naughton = worst player in history of the universe + 1 day
  • Options
    Fire bomb in Northern Ireland:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25407830

At least nobody appears to have been harmed.
  • Options
    Cross over soon? only 5 more polls left this year by yougov

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 1m
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead drops to two points - the lowest labour lead since Sept conferences:
    CON 36%, LAB 38%, LD 8%, UKIP 11%
  • Options
    Never fear, Mr. Eagles, Red Ed's policy of smashing capitalism and confiscating profits wherever they may be found will see him through.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

After spoiling Strictly last weekend for you, one of my friend's has managed to reveal and spoil the last episode of Homeland, that aired in the US last night and airs in the UK on Sunday.
    See? SEE? What goes around...

How come I can't change my profile name to CarolatheGreat?

Anyway, will leave you with my biggest laugh of the day, a chrisdeerinRT: 11/10 RT @TheLadBible: Welling vs Maidstone, goalkeeper just let in a soft goal. Non league fans at their best pic.twitter.com/Intmn4HYCq

(Not directed at you btw... I've got over the spoiler).
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead drops to two points - the lowest labour lead since Sept conferences:

Christ on a bike, it will be a subsection orgy on here tonight. Labour still on 38%.....that means I'm happy as at that percentage there can be no Tory government.
  • Options

Compouter is beginning to realise that the "champagne" he is drinking is 'asti spoumante'.

Pop away, Compouter!

• Options

Our only fit CB is suspended for this game - yes it's Dawson who is as mobile as a [insert large building of choice] - so we have no CBs at all potentially, no Sandro or Paulinho either.

there is however still Naughton = worst player in history of the universe + 1 day
    Bah, he's no Djimi Traore, who can ever forget Traore's Cruyff turn on his own goal line?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V22_yC6Na30
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Ignore that - let's focus on a political party sponsored poll.....and whether Ed Miliband should launch a populist campaign on the crisis in the unemployment rate of Premier League football managers...
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Compouter is beginning to realise that the "champagne" he is drinking is 'asti spoumante'.

Pop away, Compouter!

I do believe you are running out of polls Mr Avery....there is only 250 between now and the election.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

It is indeed bad news for the Conservatives, as many have posted, but the collapse of the LibDem vote is startling. 14% to 4% in Great Yarmouth is no great shakes - from also-ran to also-ran, effectively. But from 30% to 10% in Folkestone & Hythe is terrible for them.

But it is not a fall from 30 to 15% . The sample which Survation do not weight for past vote had the Lib Dems at only 21% .in the 2010 GE
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Nice one Youguv.The Tories needed that!
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

See? SEE? What goes around...

How come I can't change my profile name to CarolatheGreat?

Anyway, will leave you with my biggest laugh of the day, a chrisdeerinRT: 11/10 RT @TheLadBible: Welling vs Maidstone, goalkeeper just let in a soft goal. Non league fans at their best pic.twitter.com/Intmn4HYCq

(Not directed at you btw... I've got over the spoiler).
    I promise I won't spoil the final.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    THERE IS STILL GOOD NEWS FOR DAVID CAMERON

He's going to have plenty of time to play Fruit Ninja come 2015
  • Options
    I can see Yougov becoming the new PB Hodges "Gold Standard" if we get any more like that.
  • Options
    Bah, there's only 4 more YouGov polls this year.
  • Options
    Overall I think this 2% lead is much of an outlier as the 12% lead was.
  • Options

What happened in Dieppe during 1943?

Signed: A. Pedant.
  • Options

Ignore that - let's focus on a political party sponsored poll.....and whether Ed Miliband should launch a populist campaign on the crisis in the unemployment rate of Premier League football managers...
    Lets focus on the polls then.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Show me the crossover.......Show me the crossover!
  • Options

This is starting to look disastrous for Labour. Miliband must sack Balls! Since his shambolic response to the Autumn Statement the political initiative has totally swung back to Osborne and the Tories. Moreover, all the kudos Miliband got from his energy-freeze thing has been frittered away. This can't be allowed to continue.
  • Options

Back to 7% tomorrow which will be followed by....poll what poll.
  • Options

This is starting to look disastrous for Labour. Miliband must sack Balls! Since his shambolic response to the Autumn Statement the political initiative has totally swung back to Osborne and the Tories. Moreover, all the kudos Miliband got from his energy-freeze thing has been frittered away. This can't be allowed to continue.
    LOL!
  • Options

I'm not having a very good night am I?

I meant 1942.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

AveryLP said:

Pop away, Compouter!

I do believe you are running out of polls Mr Avery....there is only 250 between now and the election.
    Are you also a part-time wine salesman part-time Cheshire farmer?
  • Options

The 2% lead is in line with the trend , the 12% lead was freakish.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Another expenses scandal, involving the criminal Lord Hanningfield

twitter.com/MirrorJames/status/412705410206806017
  • Options
    Let's not forget: in 2010 wise heads were predicting that by now Labour's lead would be double the Lib Dem and Tory polling combined.
  • Options

Lets focus on the polls then.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Show me the crossover.......Show me the crossover!
    Make your bleedin' mind up for god's sake!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

But it is not a fall from 30 to 15% . The sample which Survation do not weight for past vote had the Lib Dems at only 21% .in the 2010 GE
    Note also the Bognor Regis/Littlehampton sample falsely has Labour narrowly in 2nd place at the 2010 GE
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Pop away, Compouter!

Are you also a part-time wine salesman part-time Cheshire farmer?
    The man is banned on here and still people post about him. Tim is the PB Hodges opium.
  • Options

Another expenses scandal, involving the criminal Lord Hanningfield

twitter.com/MirrorJames/status/412705410206806017

Here's the Mirror story

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-lord-hanningfield-new-expenses-2934895
  • Options

Back to 7% tomorrow which will be followed by....poll what poll.
    OK - £500 at Evens, I say it'll be 6% or less and you say it'll be 7% or more?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I have family in the Bognor area and talking to them I can fully understand why UKIP are pulling in supporters there.
  • Options

The collapse of the LD vote in F&H predates the Coalition and I believe from controlling the Council in the 1990s and briefly in the early 2000s, the Party is down to just one Councillor so the fall in vote comes as little surprise.

If I were looking at a bet, I'd have a look at every seat where the LDs polled 15% or less in 2010 and consider them a potential lost deposit in 2015.

As for the YouGov poll which will doubtless give the Conservative majority on here a lift - it sits in startk contrast to today's Populsu number (40-33) and is the first poll for some time with the Tory number above 35 but we'll see.
  • Options
    From the Times

Tottenham’s favoured options for a long-term appointment include Cesare Prandelli, the Italy coach, Fabio Capello, who is in charge of Russia, and Mauricio Pochettino, the Southampton manager, but none is expected to be available until the summer. Sherwood will be assisted by Steffen Freund, who was assistant to Villas-Boas.
  • Options

I meant 1942.
    Whatever happens, don't peak too late (or early for that matter).
  • Options
    Also Rafa Benitez on the shortlist
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    1. Ed talks about the Energy Price Freeze
    2. PB Tories and Dan Hodges say it's a disaster and unravelling
    3. Miliband gets a 3-month bump.

PB Tories then say it's a disaster because the poll bump is fading away.
    You don't think he can pull any more populist policies out, but then you didn't like the energy price freeze in the first place so it's not surprising.

Cameron can't make the sort of promises and policies Miliband can.Ed would just have to pull out rail nationalisation or something to get another small boost, then the Tories would be scrambling to defend the impoverished railway owners, promising economic disaster, then a few weeks later support Cameron's watered down version.

• Options
    edited December 2013

I meant 1942.
    Whatever happens, don't peak too late (or early for that matter).
    I'm at a stage where I'm happy if I peak at all.

And there's no such as peaking early, if she can't maintain my pace, whose fault is that?

Edit: It is the lagershed innit?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

From the Times

Tottenham’s favoured options for a long-term appointment include Cesare Prandelli, the Italy coach, Fabio Capello, who is in charge of Russia, and Mauricio Pochettino, the Southampton manager, but none is expected to be available until the summer. Sherwood will be assisted by Steffen Freund, who was assistant to Villas-Boas.

Ian Holloway or Neil Warnock would be a laugh wouldn't they too.... Lets sign up the chuckle brothers or Ant and Dec. Alan Hansen will be after a job in the summer, sort our defence out and we'd never score again....
  • Options

From the Times

Ian Holloway or Neil Warnock would be a laugh wouldn't they too.... Lets sign up the chuckle brothers or Ant and Dec. Alan Hansen will be after a job in the summer, sort our defence out and we'd never score again....
    They want a man with experience, I say go back to George Graham.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Did Ukip have visibility of which 4 seats would be polled ??????
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Freggles said:

1. Ed talks about the Energy Price Freeze
    2. PB Tories and Dan Hodges say it's a disaster and unravelling
    3. Miliband gets a 3-month bump.

PB Tories then say it's a disaster because the poll bump is fading away.
    You don't think he can pull any more populist policies out, but then you didn't like the energy price freeze in the first place so it's not surprising.

Cameron can't make the sort of promises and policies Miliband can.Ed would just have to pull out rail nationalisation or something to get another small boost, then the Tories would be scrambling to defend the impoverished railway owners, promising economic disaster, then a few weeks later support Cameron's watered down version.

Good point!We know what Cameron`s offering will be:
    Steady on the economy
    Minor changes on the NHS
    Action on Europe and Immigration
    Protect pensions

Ed`s the unknown factor.
  • Options
    half of the Premier League’s 20 clubs have managers — permanent or otherwise — whose experience in their present job amounts to 16 or fewer league matches. In contrast, Arsène Wenger has guided Arsenal for more than 17 years.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Previous 6 YouGov polls had Lab leads of:

5, 5, 5, 6, 4, 6 = average 5.2.

So 2% is not a massive outlier.

Sure it's highly likely the lead will be back up to 5% to 7% tomorrow but even so it is still an encouraging poll for Con.

It takes its place in the average - average of today's YouGov and Populus is a Lab lead of 4.5% - which is a further edging down of the lead - and a continuation of the recent trend.
  • Options

half of the Premier League’s 20 clubs have managers — permanent or otherwise — whose experience in their present job amounts to 16 or fewer league matches. In contrast, Arsène Wenger has guided Arsenal for more than 17 years.

He's out of contract in the summer though.... a reverse Sol?
  • Options

The 2% lead is in line with the trend , the 12% lead was freakish.
    Not sure it is, Populus was showing a 7-point lead. Tonight's poll does look an outlier.

That said, for me the interesting divergence between Populus and YouGov relates to the combined Conservative-UKIP share. Populus has it at 41% but YouGov has 49% which strikes me as a huge difference.

• Options
    I'll be thinking more about the marginals polls than today's YouGov poll.
This discussion has been closed.