Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big message from the Long-Bailey sacking is that Labour is

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Who "We"?

The anti-semites?

The left!

Me and Owen.
    Owen Jones has been 'helping' Labour to defeat after defeat after defeat after defeat for over a decade. The single best thing he could do to help them win next time would be to break all ties with them and head off into the political wilderness for a similar period of silence. The electorate has had a good long look at Jonesism, and they don't like it...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,367
    Tres said:

Scott_xP said:
    They are by extension endorsing what she did. Withdraw the whip hehe.
    We finally agree on something! 😂
    I agreed further down thread on your comment on planning, but pleased don't get used to it.
    My comment on removal of the whip is highly ironic. If party leaders remove the whip of MPs for expressing inconvenient opinions then we are further down the road to dictatorship. Johnson/Cummings behaviour was that of the tin-pot dictator (with emphasis on the tin-pot). Most of the headbanging contingent of the Tory party that supported Johnson's inappropriate elevation had rebelled many times, including the unthinking man's hero, the forever braindead Ian Duncan Smith. Our system works best when governments and oppositions have an awkward squad.
    Indeed. And I will agree here again, an awkward squad is useful. Hunt can play that role nicely now for us, especially as Chair of the Health Select Committee.

An antisemitic and racist squad is not.

I have no qualms purging them from the party - the Tories have ruthlessly purged anyone equivalent for decades who could be considered "far right" but the left have myopically believed the far right are the problem and the far left are not. The far left and far right are two cheeks of the same arse, they're both racist extremists and should have no place within either of our mainstream parties.

If the far left or far right wish to set up their own party they should be free to do so but I wouldn't want them in my party.
    I agree to a point, but my belief is that elements of the far right (I consider UKIP/Brexit party to be the BNP in tweed) have taken over the Conservatives. Peter Bone, Mark Francois and the ridiculous Rees-Mogg would be very comfortable in UKIP, and I suspect if they were put on a lie detector and questioned their true beliefs would shock many. These people are just as far right as Corbyn is far left. They are a cancer in the Conservative Party and their ascendency, together with their foolhardy appointment of their puppet PM, is equally as much a reason for my resignation for the Conservative Party as my belief in the wrongheadedness of Brexit.
    Corbyn has decades of unrepentant racism.

I dislike Bone, Francois and Rees-Mogg but don't think they have anything similar? And if they had shared the stage with and endorsed Holocaust Deniers etc then I think they'd have been kicked out of the party already.
    Rees-Mogg has given credence to the George Soros conspiracy theory at least.
    Cite on that?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    One of the reasons the Conservative Party is in power and not in infantile Opposition is because they don't give a damn about offense archaeology - just like the vast majority of the population.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Scott_xP said:
    One of the reasons the Conservative Party is in power and not in infantile Opposition is because they don't give a damn about offense archaeology - just like the vast majority of the population.
    What's offensive about suggesting racial slurs are most offensive to the group they are targeting?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:
    I agreed further down thread on your comment on planning, but pleased don't get used to it.
    My comment on removal of the whip is highly ironic. If party leaders remove the whip of MPs for expressing inconvenient opinions then we are further down the road to dictatorship. Johnson/Cummings behaviour was that of the tin-pot dictator (with emphasis on the tin-pot). Most of the headbanging contingent of the Tory party that supported Johnson's inappropriate elevation had rebelled many times, including the unthinking man's hero, the forever braindead Ian Duncan Smith. Our system works best when governments and oppositions have an awkward squad.
    Indeed. And I will agree here again, an awkward squad is useful. Hunt can play that role nicely now for us, especially as Chair of the Health Select Committee.

I have no qualms purging them from the party - the Tories have ruthlessly purged anyone equivalent for decades who could be considered "far right" but the left have myopically believed the far right are the problem and the far left are not. The far left and far right are two cheeks of the same arse, they're both racist extremists and should have no place within either of our mainstream parties.

If the far left or far right wish to set up their own party they should be free to do so but I wouldn't want them in my party.
    I agree to a point, but my belief is that elements of the far right (I consider UKIP/Brexit party to be the BNP in tweed) have taken over the Conservatives. Peter Bone, Mark Francois and the ridiculous Rees-Mogg would be very comfortable in UKIP, and I suspect if they were put on a lie detector and questioned their true beliefs would shock many. These people are just as far right as Corbyn is far left. They are a cancer in the Conservative Party and their ascendency, together with their foolhardy appointment of their puppet PM, is equally as much a reason for my resignation for the Conservative Party as my belief in the wrongheadedness of Brexit.

I dislike Bone, Francois and Rees-Mogg but don't think they have anything similar? And if they had shared the stage with and endorsed Holocaust Deniers etc then I think they'd have been kicked out of the party already.
    Cite on that?
    https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/lord-alf-dubs-calls-for-jacob-rees-mogg-to-be-sacked-over-george-soros-comment/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032

Scott_xP said:
    The Conservative Party are in government because the alternative was a party led by aTrotskyist moron.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Apparently Maxine Peake has a net worth of $1M, which is not much for a high profile actor. Perhaps she believes capitalism has failed because it doesn't pay her enough!

a) The net worth info that is published on people is generally nonsense. Other than the value of the house you own there is precious little info on most people and how much research is actually done?.

b) I wouldn't put her in the high profile actor category. Except for the elite and the celebrities there aren't very high wages, particularly in theatre, for most actors. I imagine she will make a comfortable living.
    I would say even being able to make a living as an actor you've 'made it'.
    My wife's sister and her husband are actors with one Olivier Award nomination under his belt as a West End musical lead. You will not know them but will have seen them on the TV quite a bit. They relied on other work to make a living (teaching, exam marking, marketing work, etc).
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek about luvvies who express very left wing views -often the types that then use tax avoidance measures.

I have a number of arty types in my own family, so fully appreciate that many struggle to make a living, and that without them our lives would be very much duller and less cultured and varied.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    kjh said:

Apparently Maxine Peake has a net worth of $1M, which is not much for a high profile actor. Perhaps she believes capitalism has failed because it doesn't pay her enough!

a) The net worth info that is published on people is generally nonsense. Other than the value of the house you own there is precious little info on most people and how much research is actually done?.

b) I wouldn't put her in the high profile actor category. Except for the elite and the celebrities there aren't very high wages, particularly in theatre, for most actors. I imagine she will make a comfortable living.
    Indeed, the highest earning actors past year were Dwayne Johnson and Chris Hemsworth, both action stars which is where the money is in Hollywood and the highest paid actresses were Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergera who are both prettier than Peake.

Peake is a character actress in dramas like Silk or period films like Suffragette, she is good at what she does but that is not where the big bucks are
  • Options
    Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/lord-alf-dubs-calls-for-jacob-rees-mogg-to-be-sacked-over-george-soros-comment/
    That's a conspiracy theory, or a fact?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

That's news to me and unforgiveable.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,622
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's offensive about suggesting racial slurs are most offensive to the group they are targeting?
    If that is being brought up against Mirza then it suggests they are struggling to anything particularly objectionable she has written. It is 20 years ago, dull and inoffensive.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    Are you new to the internet?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,367
    edited June 2020
    Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    He withdrew the comment.

"UPDATE 9 October 2019: Lord Dubs has now retracted his comments and apologised to Mr Rees-Mogg.

Lord Dubs told The Independent: "It is a universal principle that there must be clear evidence of antisemitism before such an accusation can be made. I apologised to Mr Rees-Mogg as this was clearly not the case in these circumstances."

He added: "George Soros has had a lot of antisemitic attacks over the years and we have to be careful about the language used to describe him."
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-antisemitism-george-soros-lord-dubs-boris-johnson-a9142756.html

TBF to you, I don't think that was reported widely, it just came up on Goog when I was looking for your source, because the Indy is depressingly good at SEO.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously different from their sockpuppets on here who who seemed preternaturally obsessed with what Corbyn said or did 20, 30 or even 40 years ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Tres said:

RobD said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    Pointing out that financiers on both sides profited from the referendum result? Doesn't seem particularly contentious to me if it's a true statement.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Well, anyone who thought Keir a bit drippy got a surprise. Clearly a new broom, and antisemitism will not be tolerated.

Might make for an interesting relationship with the Deputy Leader, RLB's housemate.

I disagree. He’s been brutal, and that’s politics. But he’s also been unjust and that’s more important.

At the end of the day RLB shared an Independent interview with a constituent of her’s. An MP should be able to do something like that without having their reputation trashed.

It’s not the sacking that matters. RLB will be remembered in history* as being sacked for forwarding an anti-Semitic article. I don’t think that’s right.

(* to the extent that she is at all)
    That’s not quite accurate. She approved it without qualification. Either she read it and approved everything said in it or she didn’t read it. Either way, SKS was right to take action against her. RLB has form not challenging those making anti-Semitic comments in her presence and given what SKS said right from the start of his leadership she should have been intelligent enough to to realise that the wind had changed and there would no longer be a blind eye to the casual and unceasing anti-Semitism that had become routine in Corbyn’s Labour.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885
    HYUFD said:
    Both are at it aren't they? The moderates supported those who kept trying to oust Corbyn as leader yet would genuinely think it outrageous if a Corbynite tried that now, whilst the Corbynites are showing the same 'disloyalty' to Starmer that they complained about the moderates doing
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tres said:

RobD said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    Pointing out that financiers on both sides profited from the referendum result? Doesn't seem particularly contentious to me if it's a true statement.
    Guess you've never been to Hungary.
  • Options
    Tres said:

RobD said:

Tres said:

RobD said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    Guess you've never been to Hungary.
    Not sure what that has to do with anything. We're discussing Mogg's statement.
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Both are at it aren't they? The moderates supported those who kept trying to oust Corbyn as leader yet would genuinely think it outrageous if a Corbynite tried that now, whilst the Corbynites are showing the same 'disloyalty' to Starmer that they complained about the moderates doing
    A leadership campaign in the next 12 months would probably boost Starmer further. I dont think theyll mind one at all.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously different from their sockpuppets on here who who seemed preternaturally obsessed with what Corbyn said or did 20, 30 or even 40 years ago.
    The problem with Corbyn's idiocies was not primarily that they were 'offensive' - although naturally he managed that as well - but because they were dangerous far left lunacy that he intended to implement as national policy if he gained power.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don't think Boris Johnson would kick any of them out of the party even if they goosestepped through the chamber of the Commons like Basil Fawlty, wearing stockings, suspenders and jackboots shouting racial obscenities. He is just too pathetically weak to do anything without the endorsement of non-member Dom.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946

Scott_xP said:
    The problem with Corbyn's idiocies was not primarily that they were 'offensive' - although naturally he managed that as well - but because they were dangerous far left lunacy that he intended to implement as national policy if he gained power.
    Phew, thank goodness that there's absolutely no evidence that advisors to the Eton Mess have any influence over national policy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    A leadership campaign in the next 12 months would probably boost Starmer further. I dont think theyll mind one at all.
    Will the left be able to find their very own Owen Smith ?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    If that is being brought up against Mirza then it suggests they are struggling to anything particularly objectionable she has written. It is 20 years ago, dull and inoffensive.
    Certain left wing journalists are desperate the smear Mirza.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Richard Burgon.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,683
    edited June 2020
    Does anyone know what the UK government is buying with its £400 million stake in OneWeb? It is presented as a cost-effective replacement for GPS services lost when the UK gets thrown out of Galileo due to Brexit. Details of what this replacement actually is, are hard to come by.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Burgon! Beaten to it!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited June 2020

On planning I'm always reminded of the time, long ago now, when my (then) family firm wanted to do some major alterations to one of our pharmacies, and the local planning officer refused access to the plans held at the Council 'because the architect might object'. The building was at least 60 years old then, so the chances of the architect being alive were low to infinitesimal. In any event neither he nor we we knew who he (assumption) was. However the planning officer was firm. Policy was no alterations to any existing building with out the architect being involved. And no he couldn't/wouldn't help with contacting said architect

At that point one of us asked the PO about the local 11th C church, which had just had some major alterations. How had the architect been contacted?
    Very grudgingly the officer gave permission for our chap to look at the plans held by the council.

Churches (at least C of E ones) have their own rules when it comes to planning.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    As opposed to the SNP sockpuppets who continue to be preternaturally obsessed with what Thatcher did 30 or 40 years ago. They are less obsessed by SNP collaboration with fascist regimes 90 or so years ago.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Certain left wing journalists are desperate the smear Mirza.
    Of course and right wing journalists desperate to smear leftists. It just seems she hasnt done or said anything at all egregious if that is what they came up with.
  • Options
    Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    If I remember Soros's own comments at the time, he made no bones about the fact Sterling could not survive at its band level in the EMS and there was nothing the Bank of England to do to prevent it crashing out.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

One of the reasons this Conservative UKIP-lite Party is in power is because they do not give a d*mn about anyone other than themselves.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    RobD said:

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    Much like the Israel thing factual criticism of Soros's actions are fine, but if you're obsessive about it and try and push it into unrelated issues it tends to be a bad sign.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The Conservative Party are in government because the alternative was a party led by aTrotskyist moron.
    What's amazing to me is how Centrist Labour fans act as though before Corbyn they were doing really well, and then he came along and things went downhill. Brown and Miliband were similar politicians to Starmer and they did worse than Jezza.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    I must be missing something, what exactly should I be outraged about?
    Indeed I am sure we can all think of a number of words that., depending on who they are directed against, would be at least as, if not more offensive. And very few of those are apparently less offensive when said by one specific portion of society - as is the case with the N word.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,900

On planning I'm always reminded of the time, long ago now, when my (then) family firm wanted to do some major alterations to one of our pharmacies, and the local planning officer refused access to the plans held at the Council 'because the architect might object'. The building was at least 60 years old then, so the chances of the architect being alive were low to infinitesimal. In any event neither he nor we we knew who he (assumption) was. However the planning officer was firm. Policy was no alterations to any existing building with out the architect being involved. And no he couldn't/wouldn't help with contacting said architect

At that point one of us asked the PO about the local 11th C church, which had just had some major alterations. How had the architect been contacted?
    Very grudgingly the officer gave permission for our chap to look at the plans held by the council.

Churches (at least C of E ones) have their own rules when it comes to planning.
    Really; obviously the planning officer didn't know, either. Anyway he caved in.
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Like it boosted Corbyn. It's funny how both sides play both roles without being able to see they are arguing against their own case from 2-3 years ago
  • Options

One of the reasons this Conservative UKIP-lite Party is in power is because they do not give a d*mn about anyone other than themselves.
    That 43.6% of the population that voted for them seems not to agree...
  • Options
    Oh look - on a subject which is much more important than Long-Gone, it looks as if the government is doing what I and many others told them to do to clear the trial backlog.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/nightingale-courts-will-tackle-backlog-of-half-a-million-cases-tbv5zwhk0
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Cyclefree said:

Oh look - on a subject which is much more important than Long-Gone, it looks as if the government is doing what I and many others told them to do to clear the trial backlog.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/nightingale-courts-will-tackle-backlog-of-half-a-million-cases-tbv5zwhk0

Yes, I saw that this morning, glad that we're not going down the road that gets rid of jury trials.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Anyone can try to oust anyone; it is their right. It is how the leaders respond that is the issue.

May? Let it drag on and kept everyone simmering. Johnson? Got rid.

Same with Corbyn - he made it a virtue that he didn't want to sack anyone; Starmer - get rid.

I know which people seem to prefer.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Either that or they, y'know, came up with it themselves in concert with their policy advisers.
  • Options
    Also none of you have noticed that the new head of the FCA is a Barrow man! Not just that but a friend of a close family friend.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Well, anyone who thought Keir a bit drippy got a surprise. Clearly a new broom, and antisemitism will not be tolerated.

Might make for an interesting relationship with the Deputy Leader, RLB's housemate.

I disagree. He’s been brutal, and that’s politics. But he’s also been unjust and that’s more important.

At the end of the day RLB shared an Independent interview with a constituent of her’s. An MP should be able to do something like that without having their reputation trashed.

It’s not the sacking that matters. RLB will be remembered in history* as being sacked for forwarding an anti-Semitic article. I don’t think that’s right.

That’s not quite accurate. She approved it without qualification. Either she read it and approved everything said in it or she didn’t read it. Either way, SKS was right to take action against her. RLB has form not challenging those making anti-Semitic comments in her presence and given what SKS said right from the start of his leadership she should have been intelligent enough to to realise that the wind had changed and there would no longer be a blind eye to the casual and unceasing anti-Semitism that had become routine in Corbyn’s Labour.
    It seems RLB saw a famous, like minded constituent (possibly a friend?) in the news and fell over herself to tweet praise (diamond), then couldn't bring herself to retract it. We see on here how people lavish praise on those they agree with and feel unable to criticise them
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's amazing to me is how Centrist Labour fans act as though before Corbyn they were doing really well, and then he came along and things went downhill. Brown and Miliband were similar politicians to Starmer and they did worse than Jezza.

Very true. I think if Starmer does better it will be partly because people will have forgotten the dismal failures of the Brown government.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Scott_xP said:
    Some of that was definitely irrelevant. But when part of a leaders legend is their steadfast commitment to policies and views for decades, it is not all irrelevant.

He was more flexible than his opponents or worshippers allowed for.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Either that or they, y'know, came up with it themselves in concert with their policy advisers.
    Of course, I was being half serious - but the opposition to the disastrous jury trial proposal will also have helped. Because that proposal was also, y’know, cooked up by them in concert with their policy advisors.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Anyone can try to oust anyone; it is their right. It is how the leaders respond that is the issue.

Same with Corbyn - he made it a virtue that he didn't want to sack anyone; Starmer - get rid.

Not sure what that's got to do with it, but good morning anyway
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Even if true what does that say of the millions who voted for them? And yes that applies to the millions who voted for a Corbyn led party too - it's all very well separating the party from those who backed them, but without infantilising the public we have to assume they know what they vote for, and if the party didn't care about anyone the public reacted strangely.
  • Options

Possibly holding their noses and hoping Corbyn didn't get in to power and that Johnson wouldn't be a joke as PM. They were right on the former and wrong on the latter.

The sad thing with folk like you Mr. Blue is that you are so tribally obsessed, you think the only thing that matters is winning elections. Sure, they are important because you can't exercise power if you don't win, but if you win big and then turn out to be a lightweight leadership free incompetent, it is a pyrrhic victory. Tory members will rue the day they elected Johnson. Many of the more sensible ones are already.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If it means they don;t end the right to trial by jury, amen.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200
    Cyclefree said:

I would be interested to see where the remove-juries-trial-balloon really came from

Micheal Howard said that a major duty of the Home Secretary was, in a crisis, to say NO to all the insane ideas that got pulled out of the cupboard at the Home Office. Apparently there are some people who think that China has the right idea on social control....

A quick perusal of the ideas floated after the Brighton Bombing gives you a Yikes! moment or 2.
  • Options
    We learned about this in college, but I'd had never seen the video until today

https://youtu.be/dLAi78hluFc
  • Options

Tres said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Scott_xP said:

Cite on that?
    If I remember Soros's own comments at the time, he made no bones about the fact Sterling could not survive at its band level in the EMS and there was nothing the Bank of England to do to prevent it crashing out.

And that he was heavily invested in the crash out result...

It was pretty remarkable. A major investor made it *publicly* clear that he was moving the market, and betting on the outcome vs multiple central banks/governments.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I’d still keep the pressure up on them and a very close eye on this.

Attacks on jury trials come up with depressing regularity. Last time it was Blair. This time Johnson. Those in power don’t, for all the talk about it, really like ordinary people having their say.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I would be interested to see where the remove-juries-trial-balloon really came from

Micheal Howard said that a major duty of the Home Secretary was, in a crisis, to say NO to all the insane ideas that got pulled out of the cupboard at the Home Office. Apparently there are some people who think that China has the right idea on social control....

A quick perusal of the ideas floated after the Brighton Bombing gives you a Yikes! moment or 2.
    Well if Priti turned 'no-juries' down she's more liberal than I gave her credit for. Of course the Justice chap will have been more involved.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972
    FF43 said:

Does anyone know what the UK government is buying with its £400 million stake in OneWeb? It is presented as a cost-effective replacement for GPS services lost when the UK gets thrown out of Galileo due to Brexit. Details of what this replacement actually is, are hard to come by.

Dunno. OneWeb uses the the commercial K-band which is completely unsuitable for any military application. It also only resolves down to 30m, doesn't support pseudolites, spot beam transmissions or blue-on-blue jamming but I'm sure the geniuses at NHSX will sort it out.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,094
    MattW said:

My dad started as a Council Architect and got out after a very few years - they just demolished the swimming pool centre he designed.

He had some interesting fulminations about planning and councillors, including mining types arguing that mains gas and insulation wouldn't ever be necessary as so many people had free coal for life.
    I started out in a law firm that specialised in local government law. Did a lot of planning stuff. I have never seen such a legal and regulatory mess. Had one case where the legal team instructing us were delighted to have lost a planning appeal I was working on (I was only a trainee so my involvement was essentially to take notes) as they had advised the councillors who approved it that they were acting unlawfully.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Well if Priti turned 'no-juries' down she's more liberal than I gave her credit for. Of course the Justice chap will have been more involved.
    The Home Office has nothing to do with it. It’s Buckland who came up with the proposal and Buckland who seems to have backed down.

I have no doubt that the pressure is coming from the Treasury which is simply unwilling to fund Justice properly.
  • Options

They didn't agree in December. Whether or not you are justified in your use of the present tense is debatable though.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure what that's got to do with it, but good morning anyway
    There was a hugely important point to my post but I can't quite remember what it was.

And good morning to you.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

It seems RLB saw a famous, like minded constituent (possibly a friend?) in the news and fell over herself to tweet praise (diamond), then couldn't bring herself to retract it. We see on here how people lavish praise on those they agree with and feel unable to criticise them
    Yes I think that's right, and people who insinuate that she is an anti-Semite herself are being pretty vile. Nevertheless, moving firmly on from the issue had to be the top priority, and this was how to do it. She hasn't lost her livelihood, only an unpaid position. If the Labour party started removing the whip over incidents like this, then it would be time to get angry.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What polling has Trump behind in Indiana, Mississippi, South Carolina or West Virginia? Or indeed Iowa for that matter?
    Yes although it wouldn't be a shock if Biden won Iowa (or even Ohio). I think Texas and Georgia are a stretch as I don't quite regard them as true swing states.

I think the absolute most Biden can get is around 413 EVs (including Texas and Georgia) and the most likely scenario as of now is Biden winning up to 335 EVs (similar to Obama in 2012) .
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The Home Office has nothing to do with it. It’s Buckland who came up with the proposal and Buckland who seems to have backed down.

I have no doubt that the pressure is coming from the Treasury which is simply unwilling to fund Justice properly.
    I'm glad the right thing is being done. As I said denying justice by removing trial by jury is a dealbreaker for me and I would never under any circumstances except that.

There's few principles more fundamental than the need for justice in a free society.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    https://www.ft.com/content/284fb1ad-ddc0-45df-a075-0709b36868db

Interesting read on Wirecard. Shows how the German regulator closed ranks to protect their own. It's quite shocking how they were allowed to get away with so much under the guise of "this is a German national champion, we mustn't rock the boat".
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited June 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What polling has Trump behind in Indiana, Mississippi, South Carolina or West Virginia? Or indeed Iowa for that matter?
    Yes although it wouldn't be a shock if Biden won Iowa (or even Ohio). I think Texas and Georgia are a stretch as I don't quite regard them as true swing states.

I think the absolute most Biden can get is around 413 EVs (including Texas and Georgia) and the most likely scenario as of now is Biden winning up to 335 EVs (similar to Obama in 2012) although he's unlikely to beat Trump by more than 6-8%.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If the firm has recently applied for bankruptcy then it could be getting bought at bargain prices, that doesn't mean purchasing it is a mistake.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's not just Justice which is inadequately funded. The dead hand of the Treasury can be seen all over the NHS.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,834

If the firm has recently applied for bankruptcy then it could be getting bought at bargain prices, that doesn't mean purchasing it is a mistake.

Purchasing it is a mistake at any price
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Scott_xP said:
    US Chapter 11 is more like administration than insolvency
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,285
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I’d still keep the pressure up on them and a very close eye on this.

Attacks on jury trials come up with depressing regularity. Last time it was Blair. This time Johnson. Those in power don’t, for all the talk about it, really like ordinary people having their say.
    We return to the theme! I defer to your expertise but hope you won't mind another question from a 'mug-punter'.

What exactly is wrong with cutting the jury to, say, ten? You could still have minority verdicts even if a couple of jurors went sick.

Like a lot of people who have done jury service I was struck by the fantastic waste of time involved in keeping a pool of suitable jurors hanging around waiting for some action. A 16% reduction would be some help and I cannot see it harming the administration of justice.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don't think Boris Johnson would kick any of them out of the party even if they goosestepped through the chamber of the Commons like Basil Fawlty, wearing stockings, suspenders and jackboots shouting racial obscenities. He is just too pathetically weak to do anything without the endorsement of non-member Dom.
    Well if that happens we can talk.

The far left antisemitism - and zero tolerance of the far right by the Tories - has been ongoing for decades.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's not just Justice which is inadequately funded. The dead hand of the Treasury can be seen all over the NHS.
    Thats absolutely true but any attempt to secure funding for Justice is met with derisory "filling the pockets of lawyers" type jibes. In the meantime our courts are physically collapsing and in increasing areas of the country there are no Legal Aid criminal solicitors or barristers available
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    OneWeb has nothing to do with navigation - at the moment.

It is a system to deliver high speed, low latency, data backbone from LEO - see Starlink from SpaceX for a competitor.

This is useful in delivering high speed internet/mobile phone data to remote areas.

There have been proposals to piggy back navigation onto LEO data constellations.

Given that OneWeb is bankrupt, it might well be worth purchasing for a song - it comes with some satellites in orbit, frequency rights etc.

There is an interesting EU dimension to this - various European structures are heavily invested in the success of OneWeb.... Such as ESA.

The story is basically wrong on the level of "All satellites are satellites, right?"
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    US Chapter 11 is more like administration than insolvency
    I know, but purchasing from administration/Chapter 11 can be done cheaper and with fewer strings normally than standard buy outs.

Its a good idea for the UK to get involved with this and purchasing these assets seems like a good idea.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Yes I think that's right, and people who insinuate that she is an anti-Semite herself are being pretty vile. Nevertheless, moving firmly on from the issue had to be the top priority, and this was how to do it. She hasn't lost her livelihood, only an unpaid position. If the Labour party started removing the whip over incidents like this, then it would be time to get angry.
    It it not really about whether she is anti semitic or not. I doubt there are loads of senior Labourites who really want to discriminate against Jews. But there are loads who are completely happy to promote lazy casual stereotyping of Israel and its role in the world.

Having shadow cabinet members promote these messages creates a problem at the institutional level even if it is not generally there at the personal level.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It is a system to deliver high speed, low latency, data backbone from LEO - see Starlink from SpaceX for a competitor.

This is useful in delivering high speed internet/mobile phone data to remote areas.

There have been proposals to piggy back navigation onto LEO data constellations.

Given that OneWeb is bankrupt, it might well be worth purchasing for a song - it comes with some satellites in orbit, frequency rights etc.

There is an interesting EU dimension to this - various European structures are heavily invested in the success of OneWeb.... Such as ESA.

The story is basically wrong on the level of "All satellites are satellites, right?"
    But Scott thought it was critical of "BoZo" so he doesn't care about little issues like the truth or facts.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972
    edited June 2020

Scott_xP said:
    It will be completely inferior, in every possible way, to the six existing jurisdictional positioning systems unless it has billions more hosed at it. And even then probably not.

Having been shitcanned from Galileo and seen how much it would cost to do it properly this is the government making a cut price token effort to tAkE bAcK cOnTrOl for the consumption of the easily gulled.
  • Options
    Just back from a run, it is boiling out there
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It will be completely inferior, in every possible way, to the six existing jurisdictional positioning systems unless it has billions more hosed at it. And even then probably not.

Having been shitcanned from Galileo and seen how much it would cost to do it properly this is the government making a cut price effort to tAkE bAcK cOnTrOl for the consumption of the easily gulled.
    It's still a waste of £500m or so but hey what's that in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Having been shitcanned from Galileo and seen how much it would cost to do it properly this is the government making a cut price token effort to tAkE bAcK cOnTrOl for the consumption of the easily gulled.

The fanbois on this thread love it...
  • Options
    Labour still supporting railway public ownership which is good.

I think this is probably the limit of where they will go, they'll go heavy on infrastructure on NHS and then just looking competent should be enough, IMHO
  • Options

Scott thought it was critical of "BoZo" so he doesn't care about little issues like the truth or facts.

As others have noted, it's a shit deal.

If you start from the assumption that everything BoZo does is a giant fuckup, you won't go far wrong...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Scott_xP said:
    I think (as someone who has mixed feelings about the sacking) that Starmer has an advantage that he deals briskly with issues but doesn't compound any injury with OTT denunciations and rhetoric. It's harder to get worked up about "I didn't like what you said, you declined to withdraw it, so I'm replacing you" than the "I was appalled, you were disgraceful, etc." style. It's authoritarian but most of us can live with that if other things are broadly OK.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

It isn't a positioning system 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Having been shitcanned from Galileo and seen how much it would cost to do it properly this is the government making a cut price effort to tAkE bAcK cOnTrOl for the consumption of the easily gulled.
    It's still a waste of £500m or so but hey what's that in the scheme of things.
    - OneWeb isn't a navigation system - it provides data. There have been proposals *add* navigation to the system.
    - Galileo isn't a data providing system - it provides navigation. Only.

Anyone who doesn't understand that is Robert Peston level of ignorant.

Iridium is the classic example of a project that was worth buying from bankruptcy.
  • Options

mad dogs....I am just about to head off for a bike ride, that said...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    edited June 2020
    "'The world went crazy' with lockdowns, says Sweden's coronavirus expert as he blasts WHO for 'misinterpreting data' with list of 11 nations seeing a 'resurgence'

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's virus expert
    Said leaders caved to pressure with decisions that 'fly in the face' of science
    Also hit out at WHO, after body said Sweden is seeing a 'dangerous resurgence'
    Tegnell has accused WHO's Europe chief of 'totally misinterpreting' the data"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8462727/The-world-went-crazy-lockdowns-says-Swedens-coronavirus-expert.html
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Scott_xP said:
    They are going to be disappointed then. At least for the next five, probably ten years.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scott_xP said:

Yep. OneWeb might provide the satellites for a LEO GNSS constellation which would be attractive for two main reasons. 1. Much better geometry. 2. Much less path loss. The basic idea is to put chip scale atomic clocks on the satellites, so the navigation payload would be much cheaper than traditional satellites, the number of satellites would in turn make up for some of the issues with LEO having more variable orbits.

It is a complicated issue, but this idea is not mad. Anyone dismissing this out-of-hand simply hasn't done their homework.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

mad dogs....I am just about to head off for a bike ride, that said...
    I'm mostly used to this kind of temperature now but towards the end things got a bit difficult.
This discussion has been closed.