Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Trump responded when he was asked by Fox New what his prio

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020

Is anyone doing a count on the various names that Sean T has gone by in the last 5 yrs. It has to be at least double figures....

Still lagging way behind the number that old LastBoyBobojobbbba has had.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited June 2020
    The problem comes when you try to decide which type of proportional representation you want.

You should appreciate this one:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voting_referendum_2x.png

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

kle4 said:

I think this one is all Jenrick.
    True, but think what's in Labour's interest.

It's not particularly that Jenrick goes, and the opposition can't force that anyway. Not against a majority of 80.

It's to create a negative image of the government in the eyes of the public. In the case of this government, that it's untrustworthy and "do as I say, not as I do".

So Starmer hasn't gone all-in on JENRICK MUST GO; that's the mistake Corbyn made all the time. I'm sure he'd be happy to say "I couldn't possibly comment about the Jenrick Must Go editorial in the Daily Mail" if asked, though.

Because every day that something like this goes on, it catches the attention of someone, somewhere. (Front page of Metro is interesting; that's the paper for people who don't really read papers). A tiny crack here, a little bit of mud sticking there. It's got four years to add up. SKS might turn out not to be a genius politician, but broad competence at nuts & bolts is a postivie step forward.

(Conversely, that's why the political rulebook before 2019 said "ministers in a hole go, even if it's not strictly legally needed, and advisors doubly so". Because that shoots the fox, and reduces the overall damage. The next few years are now a test of that theory...)
    The problem with that theory was that it led to a revolving door and incompetent government. Blair's government in particular was notorious for Ministers being rotated out of office annually either due to some scandal or general reshuffles.

Thanks in part to the Coalition, Cameron kept his Ministers in place much more and they got to know their briefs very well. I don't think Hunt would be remotely as highly regarded on Health as he is now if he'd only been there a year or two then moved on to something else like Blair regularly did. There were six Health Secretaries under Labour while Hancock is only the second in over a decade under the Tories.

Then May was so utterly incompetent and weak that there was more churn there than ever before. That led to constant pressure to replace others or see them resign.

Boris is acting more like Cameron than May/Blair/Brown. He's keeping his team in place. I believe that over the course of years that will lead to better governance and that I expect is how the next election will be won not the chip papers of years ago.
    In general I support that approach, and think Starmer has been relatively wise not to overplay his hand, but sometimes people do have to go by their own actions whatever the PM might want re continuity.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Next: the churches. Statues in Westminster Abbey to be "very carefully looked at", in case of Wrongthink.

https://twitter.com/giles_fraser/status/1276484949001023493?s=20

Has anyone told this fool that 'No' is a complete sentence?
    The Frenzy of the Woke is mirroring the path of the Pandemic: it is so outlandish we react with disbelief, we refuse to imagine its likely evolution. Normalcy Bias.

ie You keep thinking, Well, it can't get that bad, and then it does. Then you think, well, it will stop here, but then it doesn't. You presume they won't come for Abraham Lincoln - Abraham Lincoln! - and then they do

https://twitter.com/chrissyclark_/status/1276522516954177537?s=20
    It does rather show that these people believe no sin can redeemed. It does make it harder for people to acknowledge their own sin.
    It just shows it is a load of made up bollox
  • Options
    Imagine your life being that boring you need to make multiple accounts and talk to yourself. Tragic stuff.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

LadyG said:

And of course the entire body of European religious paintings is going to have be destroyed, All those excruciatingly white Raphael Madonnas and the milk-white baby Jesus figures are unquestionably racist. Europe has airbrushed BAME figures from Christian history.

You read it here first.

No, this guy said it first. And he meant it. He's a leader of BLM

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1275113067555303424?s=20
    As previously discussed we've had more than enough vandalism in the name of religion in this country. What was it..... something like 90% of British art was destroyed in the Reformation and half the rest by the Puritans.

Obviously it was 'wrong' that, in Western Europe Jesus etc were depicted as blue eyed and brown haired, but it did enable the locals to identify with him. IIRC, he's not depicted in Kerala etc?

Mohammed had a damn good idea when he said that you should NEVER make a picture of God.
    I’m fairly sure that Moses had that idea first.
    Well, obviously Mohammed got the idea from someone. Can't remember....... and I DID go to Sunday School....... was Moses or Abraham first?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

While I'd like to believe that, if people actually supported it to anywhere like that level it'd be a much bigger issue for MPs than it is.
    You are really telling me that people understand it all and its implications and then of those asked 54% say they want it?

Struggling to believe that. I think the 9% is vastly understated.
    No, I'm saying the opposite, that I don't buy that the public back it so overwhelmingly. I'm far from convinced they back it by any measure, given its lack of impact as an issue.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

kle4 said:

It's not particularly that Jenrick goes, and the opposition can't force that anyway. Not against a majority of 80.

It's to create a negative image of the government in the eyes of the public. In the case of this government, that it's untrustworthy and "do as I say, not as I do".

So Starmer hasn't gone all-in on JENRICK MUST GO; that's the mistake Corbyn made all the time. I'm sure he'd be happy to say "I couldn't possibly comment about the Jenrick Must Go editorial in the Daily Mail" if asked, though.

Because every day that something like this goes on, it catches the attention of someone, somewhere. (Front page of Metro is interesting; that's the paper for people who don't really read papers). A tiny crack here, a little bit of mud sticking there. It's got four years to add up. SKS might turn out not to be a genius politician, but broad competence at nuts & bolts is a postivie step forward.

(Conversely, that's why the political rulebook before 2019 said "ministers in a hole go, even if it's not strictly legally needed, and advisors doubly so". Because that shoots the fox, and reduces the overall damage. The next few years are now a test of that theory...)
    The problem with that theory was that it led to a revolving door and incompetent government. Blair's government in particular was notorious for Ministers being rotated out of office annually either due to some scandal or general reshuffles.

Thanks in part to the Coalition, Cameron kept his Ministers in place much more and they got to know their briefs very well. I don't think Hunt would be remotely as highly regarded on Health as he is now if he'd only been there a year or two then moved on to something else like Blair regularly did. There were six Health Secretaries under Labour while Hancock is only the second in over a decade under the Tories.

Then May was so utterly incompetent and weak that there was more churn there than ever before. That led to constant pressure to replace others or see them resign.

Boris is acting more like Cameron than May/Blair/Brown. He's keeping his team in place. I believe that over the course of years that will lead to better governance and that I expect is how the next election will be won not the chip papers of years ago.
    There is a fundamental and important difference between Cameron and Johnson. Cameron was a leader of some ability. Johnson is just a big fat bag of hot air with no leadership ability whatsoever.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    edited June 2020
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

While I'd like to believe that, if people actually supported it to anywhere like that level it'd be a much bigger issue for MPs than it is.
    You are really telling me that people understand it all and its implications and then of those asked 54% say they want it?

I'd like to know who commissioned this and what the lead-up questions were (episode of Yes Minister comes to mind... ). Looks dodgy, and I say that as someone in favour of PR (or at least, a *more* proportional system).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Next: the churches. Statues in Westminster Abbey to be "very carefully looked at", in case of Wrongthink.

The Frenzy of the Woke is mirroring the path of the Pandemic: it is so outlandish we react with disbelief, we refuse to imagine its likely evolution. Normalcy Bias.

ie You keep thinking, Well, it can't get that bad, and then it does. Then you think, well, it will stop here, but then it doesn't. You presume they won't come for Abraham Lincoln - Abraham Lincoln! - and then they do

It does rather show that these people believe no sin can redeemed. It does make it harder for people to acknowledge their own sin.
    It just shows it is a load of made up bollox
    I never had your turn of phrase.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    kle4 said:

It will happen. If Johnson was any good as a leader he would push through a system that does not disadvantage the right. As he is a crap leader he will leave it until he gets kicked out of office.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

No, I'm saying the opposite, that I don't buy that the public back it so overwhelmingly. I'm far from convinced they back it by any measure, given its lack of impact as an issue.
    Oh. Sozza - I was responding to the poll, not your comment. Yes I agree with you.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

I'd like to know who commissioned this and what the lead-up questions were (episode of Yes Minister comes to mind...). Looks dodgy, and I say that as someone in favour of PR (or at least, a *more* proportional system).
    Exactly just what I had in mind but it's a proper poll so I thought they couldn't do that.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Toms said:

Trump walks noisily and carries a small stick.

For American democracy and its soul he's a
    chaotic undisciplined necrotic troll.

He is brash and crude, a huckster - even worse a New York real estate huckster. He makes mercurial seem the model of rationality.

You need to get beyond the undesirable character traits of the man and the external stuff that people obsess over, and look at his achievements, not his sayings. Love him or hate him, from his education background it is obvious that he is a highly intelligent man. Granted he hides it well. Indeed he is undisciplined. The fact that he is about as far as you can get from a politician is why he was elected.

Whether that will work a second time is the question of the moment. The signs are dubious at best. He is behind in the polls.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

I'd like to know who commissioned this and what the lead-up questions were (episode of Yes Minister comes to mind...). Looks dodgy, and I say that as someone in favour of PR (or at least, a *more* proportional system).
    The important question is...were you 'Yes to AV'?
  • Options
    Texas - among those leading the charge to loosen virus restrictions - has seen thousands of new cases in recent days, including a record 5,996 new infections on Thursday and 47 new deaths, the highest daily toll for a month. Texas has also seen a record number of people requiring hospital treatment for 13 days in a row.

Abbott, a Republican, announced that he would stop river-rafting and order restaurants to reduce capacity from 75% to 50% as well as closing down bars.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Really?

Had Keir majored on trial by jury instead of banging on about Jenrick he could have claimed a victory. Instead he's been banging on about this and the public don't care by your own survey!

You could have a survey ask if Bob Smith should resign from the government and a significant proportion would say yes.
    Jenrick should have been kicked out immediately, Tories are not even trying to hide their chicanery nowadays, filling their pockets while they can. Despicable creatures.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,355

kle4 said:

I'm sure that's the stated theory, though the February 2020 reshuffle- especially the ditching of Julian Smith and Theresa Villiers who had only got their departmental roles six months earlier- rather belies that.

And while Blair clearly went too far the other way, there's a point where the reputational damage of having someone like Robert Jenrick in government means he ought to go.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Toms said:

He is brash and crude, a huckster - even worse a New York real estate huckster. He makes mercurial seem the model of rationality.

You need to get beyond the undesirable character traits of the man and the external stuff that people obsess over, and look at his achievements, not his sayings. Love him or hate him, from his education background it is obvious that he is a highly intelligent man. Granted he hides it well. Indeed he is undisciplined. The fact that he is about as far as you can get from a politician is why he was elected.

Whether that will work a second time is the question of the moment. The signs are dubious at best. He is behind in the polls.
    I want to believe he is more intelligent than he seems, I really do. I find it near impossible to look past his traits and style.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Toms said:

Where did I read that he, sometimes at any rate, appears to be in the early stages of Parkinsons?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Tim_B said:

Toms said:

The Donald Trump of 2000 was highly intelligent. The Donald Trump of 2016 was pretty smart, but a lot of it was learned behaviour and instinct. The Donald Trump of 2020 is a shadow of those earlier Donald Trumps.
  • Options

Texas - among those leading the charge to loosen virus restrictions - has seen thousands of new cases in recent days, including a record 5,996 new infections on Thursday and 47 new deaths, the highest daily toll for a month. Texas has also seen a record number of people requiring hospital treatment for 13 days in a row.

Abbott, a Republican, announced that he would stop river-rafting and order restaurants to reduce capacity from 75% to 50% as well as closing down bars.

Here in Georgia, which was among the first to reopen, (May 1), and we are now completely open, we are seeing a spike in cases. The goal is to keep the spike from overwhelming the health system. Social distancing is the key and seems to be mitigating. There is no panic here - yet.

Another complete shutdown is out of the question.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Trump will be having an imminent twitter meltdown !

Florida and Texas both unraveling and both likely to be crucial in the election . Texas is a longshot for the Dems , Florida the better chance but Trump looks in complete denial and the Dems will ram that message home .
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    theProle said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

There are already quite enough Archbishops of Woke - they don't need any more.
    Welby is actually being quite sensible on this, the fastest growth in the Anglican Church of which he is spiritual global head is in Africa, there are more Anglicans in Nigeria than in England for instance and a higher percentage of black British people attend Church of England services than white British, certainly amongst the younger generation.

The Church needs to be seen to be inclusive to its BAME community without getting too close to the far left either
    Why include the words "to be seen to be"? Why not simply "the Church needs to be inclusive to its BAME community...."?
    The issues which will blow the Anglican communion apart are nothing to do with the statues in Westminster Abbey, and everything to do with the huge gulf between the Western liberals and the (mostl) African evangelicals on issues such as gay bishops and transgenderism.
    Welby is on the losing side on this; Christianity is about believing in what the Bible clearly teaches, but Welby doesn't really believe in that anything apsolute - he's all vagueness and waffle. Historically liberalism dies out in little more than a generation from the point were it decouples from concrete beliefs, this process is going on pretty rapidly in the western liberal wing at present, meanwhile there is strong conservative evangelical growth in Africa (and in a UK context, the only bits which show any sign of growth are the conservative evangelicals).
    Traditional evangelicals, like everyone else, are highly selective about what they say the Bible clearly teaches. They tend to be down on gays (not just gay clergy but all gays) but remarkably don't notice much what the New Testament teaches about divorce and remarriage (never allowed in the New Testament), poverty and pacifism.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

LadyG said:

They're trying to rename entire London parks and neighbourhoods now

https://twitter.com/SpecCoffeeHouse/status/1276493464310624256?s=20

"The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea suggested that the park, underground station and entire district could end up being renamed."

This terribly shameful association is why the Dutch insist that their country be referred to officially as the Netherlands... :wink:
    And from now on eggs Benedict will be served with 'Freedom-aise' sauce
    There was a time when people couldn't see a problem with bear-baiting or Robertson's "Gollywogs". There have always been reactionaries who believe every step forward ins the end of civilisation.
    And there have always been simple-minded 'progressives' who think that if they can just destroy all traces of the existing civilization, then the door will finally be open to their new Utopia...
    OK. Trying naming one area where the norm has not become more progressive over the last 50 years.

Womens's rights? Race relations? Gay Rights? Abortion? Divorce? Animal rights? Religious observance?

There might be bumps in the road but history is most definitely not flowing in your direction. This "Conservative" Party that you support would be unrecognisable to a "Conservatives" from 50 years ago.

Continue raging against the dying of the light by all means but you are like King Canute trying to hold back the tide.
    Better a Cnut than a ... whatever these vandals are.

And one of the advantages of appreciating history is the understanding that its sweep cannot be defined by the miniscule metric of 'the last 50 years'.
    So where are we exactly with the "end of civilisation" destruction of statues" ?

How many have been torn down to date?
  • Options
    All Zada, of Kurdish Scottish Association, said: "There are around 100 asylum seekers in the hotel.

"There has been many complaints about being kept inside and having no money.

"People have uncertainties and many have mental health problems and depression. The situation is shocking.

"Some of these people have severe mental health problems."

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18545095.glasgow-stabbing-one-hundred-asylum-seekers-confirmed-reside-hotel-attack-took-place/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Tim_B said:

Here in Georgia, which was among the first to reopen, (May 1), and we are now completely open, we are seeing a spike in cases. The goal is to keep the spike from overwhelming the health system. Social distancing is the key and seems to be mitigating. There is no panic here - yet.

If new cases continue to rise in Georgia, then there will be a de facto one, even if there's not a de jure one.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report - those numbers are beginning to look pretty ugly.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

theProle said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

There are already quite enough Archbishops of Woke - they don't need any more.
    Welby is actually being quite sensible on this, the fastest growth in the Anglican Church of which he is spiritual global head is in Africa, there are more Anglicans in Nigeria than in England for instance and a higher percentage of black British people attend Church of England services than white British, certainly amongst the younger generation.

The Church needs to be seen to be inclusive to its BAME community without getting too close to the far left either
    Why include the words "to be seen to be"? Why not simply "the Church needs to be inclusive to its BAME community...."?
    The issues which will blow the Anglican communion apart are nothing to do with the statues in Westminster Abbey, and everything to do with the huge gulf between the Western liberals and the (mostl) African evangelicals on issues such as gay bishops and transgenderism.
    Welby is on the losing side on this; Christianity is about believing in what the Bible clearly teaches, but Welby doesn't really believe in that anything apsolute - he's all vagueness and waffle. Historically liberalism dies out in little more than a generation from the point were it decouples from concrete beliefs, this process is going on pretty rapidly in the western liberal wing at present, meanwhile there is strong conservative evangelical growth in Africa (and in a UK context, the only bits which show any sign of growth are the conservative evangelicals).
    Traditional evangelicals, like everyone else, are highly selective about what they say the Bible clearly teaches. They tend to be down on gays (not just gay clergy but all gays) but remarkably don't notice much what the New Testament teaches about divorce and remarriage (never allowed in the New Testament), poverty and pacifism.

Three or four years a go I went to a series of lectures on Islam, The speaker, a reformed Jihadi fighter, said that as a Bangladeshi he sometimes did not recognise things that were supposed to be 'Muslim' traditions. Burqas was one.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Normalcy Bias, eh. An interesting concept, discussed at length on here quite recently.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Florida going to start locking down again it seems

https://twitter.com/HalseyBeshears/status/1276531960140226562
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

If new cases continue to rise in Georgia, then there will be a de facto one, even if there's not a de jure one.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report - those numbers are beginning to look pretty ugly.
    But deaths continue to plunge. I was absolutely expecting them to rise by now.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited June 2020

LadyG said:

And of course the entire body of European religious paintings is going to have be destroyed, All those excruciatingly white Raphael Madonnas and the milk-white baby Jesus figures are unquestionably racist. Europe has airbrushed BAME figures from Christian history.

You read it here first.

As previously discussed we've had more than enough vandalism in the name of religion in this country. What was it..... something like 90% of British art was destroyed in the Reformation and half the rest by the Puritans.

Obviously it was 'wrong' that, in Western Europe Jesus etc were depicted as blue eyed and brown haired, but it did enable the locals to identify with him. IIRC, he's not depicted in Kerala etc?

Mohammed had a damn good idea when he said that you should NEVER make a picture of God.
    I’m fairly sure that Moses had that idea first.
    Well, obviously Mohammed got the idea from someone. Can't remember....... and I DID go to Sunday School....... was Moses or Abraham first?
    I think it was 'can't see me directly because you will not be able to stand it' and then 'no graven images' (10 Commandments).

But then the OT is always surprising - when Moses was insistent God displayed a theophany of his back.

Obvs the situation changes once we have the NT and the incarnation.

But (imo) Mohammed pulled all kinds of stuff from all kinds of places.
  • Options
    The Park Inn where the incident took place was being used to house asylum seekers during lockdown.

Robina Qureshi, director of charity Positive Action in Housing, said 370 refugees and asylum seekers had been "forcibly removed into hotels" across Glasgow at the beginning of April by the Mears Group.

Interesting way of putting, being housed in very good conditions at the taxpayers expense.
  • Options
    Here's someone who has been on quite the journey

Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has come under fire from opposition MPs after telling parliament that the US "martyred" Osama Bin Laden.

"I will never forget how we Pakistanis were embarrassed when the Americans came into Abbottabad and killed Osama Bin Laden, martyred him," Khan said.

Khan used the word "shaheed" - a reverential Arabic term for a martyr of Islam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53190199
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Florida going to start locking down again it seems

https://twitter.com/HalseyBeshears/status/1276531960140226562

At least a week too late....
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited June 2020

Is anyone doing a count on the various names that Sean T has gone by in the last 5 yrs. It has to be at least double figures....

The question is why does does Mike allow it and, more particularly, why does he allow Sean T to lie about it? Are we all to be taken for mugs?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Normalcy Bias, eh. An interesting concept, discussed at length on here quite recently.
    Is this another one?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

Really?

Had Keir majored on trial by jury instead of banging on about Jenrick he could have claimed a victory. Instead he's been banging on about this and the public don't care by your own survey!

You could have a survey ask if Bob Smith should resign from the government and a significant proportion would say yes.
    In both RLB and Jenrick's polls the 41% and 50% don't knows are incredibly high

Maybe time to step out of the political bubble and realise the public have far more real worries and concerns about their lives
    Jenrick (and Cummings) become symbolic if and when (ok when) the economy fails post Covid and people start to struggle. It becomes more focused when they understand that the billionaire who Jenrick saved from an almost £50m tax bill made his money from an activity some might see as morally questionable.

The Jenrick case is fascinating, in that it is a sort of Robin Hood in reverse. Stealing from the poor (the good burghers of Tower Hamlets) to give to a rich pornographer, who is not short of a bob or two.
  • Options
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    OllyT said:

The question is why does does Mike allow it and, more particularly, why does he allow Sean T to lie about it? Are we all to be taken for mugs?
    You aren't taken in - so you can't claim to be taken for a mug. So "all" cannot apply....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

Folks are going to have to use their judgment, with social distancing, whether they wish to go to restaurants etc, or stay in place. As one who is over 65, and has slight asthma, I am careful where I go, and always wear a mask in public. I only go to one local store and a couple of local restaurants which I avoid when they are busy. I am desperate for a haircut.
  • Options
  • Options
    The polls thus remain unchanged
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited June 2020
    Latest data
    London is looking a bit of a worry. It reflects behaviour about twelve days ago.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,329

OllyT said:

You aren't taken in - so you can't claim to be taken for a mug. So "all" cannot apply....
    Its quite an art discovering out Sean T's latest persona...
  • Options
    Sign of the times - the first Corona Task Force briefing in almost 2 months is starting in about 30 minutes. BUT - this is led by Veep from HHS. Interesting, no?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited June 2020
    For those that need a further illustration that Trump now needs Biden to lose this election, I have produced a swingometer for you...

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247

Has there been a poll and do you know the numbers
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Don't worry, the Conservatives will quite likely uptick as lockdown eases.

People are demob happy and partying like it is 1945. A second spike will come sooner rather than later ( we have already been told to expect it) because people can't control themselves. When that happens, those partying on Bournemouth beach won't blame themselves, they will blame the people who told them it was safe so to do. That will reflect in opinion polls.
  • Options

Look up
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    edited June 2020
    Starmer does need Farage. The Neo-Brexit Party has the structural advantage of being a coherent block and will always be bigger than the biggest of the sensible parties. And if people aren't leaving the Conservative Party in droves now, they won't do so ahead of the next election. Which means Johnson can be as feckless and incompetent as he likes. He's got the next election in the bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Would we be surprised if he shortly gets the Katie Hopkins "permanent suspension"?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

LadyG said:

You read it here first.

A 'localised' Jesus is absolutely fine, whether white, or Indian or black. I thought we did this a few days ago. Here are an Ethiopian Jesus and a Chinese Jesus below. So is an ME Jesus - depending what you are thinking about. The "for us or for the world" debate is very early in the NT, and the verdict was "world".

The Shaun King chap needs to get a grip and look beyond the end of his own nose.

On Kerala, they certainly seem to use 'Indian' Apostles in the Mar Thoma churches - I have no pics of Jesus depictions there.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

The important question is...were you 'Yes to AV'?
    I was actually (minority view, obviously). Solves some of the problems - you can actually vote for who you like, without second-guessing how to vote to get the result you least dislike - although it's not PR.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

OllyT said:

Its quite an art discovering out Sean T's latest persona...
    Not really.

The real trick would be for him to post as someone with the vocabulary of a Sun reader.... But he gives himself away with some smart well-formed quip using the lesser explored by-ways of the OED.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

Folks are going to have to use their judgment, with social distancing, whether they wish to go to restaurants etc, or stay in place. As one who is over 65, and has slight asthma, I am careful where I go, and always wear a mask in public. I only go to one local store and a couple of local restaurants which I avoid when they are busy. I am desperate for a haircut.
    I hear Texas is quite a good place for a haircut.
  • Options

Really?

Maybe time to step out of the political bubble and realise the public have far more real worries and concerns about their lives
    Jenrick (and Cummings) become symbolic if and when (ok when) the economy fails post Covid and people start to struggle. It becomes more focused when they understand that the billionaire who Jenrick saved from an almost £50m tax bill made his money from an activity some might see as morally questionable.

The Jenrick case is fascinating, in that it is a sort of Robin Hood in reverse. Stealing from the poor (the good burghers of Tower Hamlets) to give to a rich pornographer, who is not short of a bob or two.
    Isn't he the owner of Mirror Group Newspapers ?
  • Options

Look up
    Just checked. Conservative leads increases from 5% to 6%

So your post is not correct
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Starmer does need Farage. The Neo-Brexit Party has the structural advantage of being a coherent block and will always be bigger than the biggest of the sensible parties. And if people aren't leaving the Conservative Party in droves now, they won't do so ahead of the next election. Which means Johnson can be as feckless and incompetent as he likes. He's got the next election in the bag.
    If we avoid second waves, if we avoid an economic crash, if we avoid a no trade-deal post-Brexit and we avoid the potential subsequent financial apocalypse, yes Boris is home and dry. You will note "if" is doing some very heavy lifting there.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Davey has 55% of nominations by today at 5pm.
    Last matched prices on Betfair
    Davey 2.3
    Moran 2.28.
    Two horse race.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

But deaths continue to plunge. I was absolutely expecting them to rise by now.
    Hmmm....the number of deaths recorded as being due to the virus continues to plunge.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

People are demob happy and partying like it is 1945. A second spike will come sooner rather than later ( we have already been told to expect it) because people can't control themselves. When that happens, those partying on Bournemouth beach won't blame themselves, they will blame the people who told them it was safe so to do. That will reflect in opinion polls.
    You may well turn out to be right about the dreaded second wave, but if it comes I'm not so sure it'll have much to do with the beaches.

The panic about overcrowded sunbathers goes all the way back to the London parks in April; however, since the peak in the first half of that month, deaths and hospitalisations have been on a continuous downward trend.
  • Options

Really?

Formerly of the Express Group. Need I say more? I will though, he bought the Express on the back of a successful career as a purveyor of pornographic magazines. Nice!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

He's 'got Brexit done', he's 'defeated the virus'. Of course he's riding high ATM.

When the bills come in though, things will be different.

If this current level is the best he can do, then I wouldn't be too surprised tom see much lower figures in, say, early January 2021.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

For those that need a further illustration that Trump now needs Biden to lose this election, I have produced a swingometer for you...

That's a great chart which I might use as part of a header
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Would we be surprised if he shortly gets the Katie Hopkins "permanent suspension"?
    https://www.parler.com/profile/NigelFarage0/posts
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Exactly just what I had in mind but it's a proper poll so I thought they couldn't do that.
    I guess BPC membership bans that kind of thing? Hadn't heard of the company before though.

There are different ways of doing it, which could be much more subtle and can also be accidental. I was involved in research that added a couple of questions to an ONS survey, one question following on from the other. We tried asking the questions in two different orders (50% allocation to each order) as we thought answer to one might lead to an particular answer on the other. Sure enough, there was an association, although it turned out to be quite small.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

FF43 said:

If we avoid second waves, if we avoid an economic crash, if we avoid a no trade-deal post-Brexit and we avoid the potential subsequent financial apocalypse, yes Boris is home and dry. You will note "if" is doing some very heavy lifting there.
    I would like to believe. Problem is that a lot of that is already happening with limited effect on the polls. We have to face facts. A large minority of the population simply don't care or notice just how rotten the current regime is.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

You may well turn out to be right about the dreaded second wave, but if it comes I'm not so sure it'll have much to do with the beaches.

The panic about overcrowded sunbathers goes all the way back to the London parks in April; however, since the peak in the first half of that month, deaths and hospitalisations have been on a continuous downward trend.
    The beaches is something of a red herring, however it does illustrate people really couldn't give a toss about the ramifications of spreading Covid-19 at the moment. Presumably until it happens to them or their loved ones.

The mixed messaging from Johnson has been statling. I am beginning to think Mrs May would have got the tone right. Moreso than Blair, Brown, Cameron and certainly by a country mile, Johnson.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Agree.

In the vast number of cases, AIUI it was media shitstirring rather than parks being overcrowded.

On Bournemouth, even the Beeboids were pointing out that the beach looked far more socially-distanced from a drone compared to the media photo-stories.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Not after posts like that..
  • Options

Really?

Formerly of the Express Group. Need I say more? I will though, he bought the Express on the back of a successful career as a purveyor of pornographic magazines. Nice!
    Isn't it all part of the same group and wasn't the Mirror's editor in chief sat at the same table
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,627

Really?

I dont think so. He used to own the Express and Star which he sold to Trinity Mirror. He is also famous for titles such as Penthouse and Asian Babes as well as sex chat lines and The Fantasy Channel but dislikes being referred to as a pornographer.

He is/was trying to get the next license for the national lottery so that could be interesting.

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    'Starmer has played a blinder' = Tories still polling at 40-year record levels, same as they got in GE2019... :wink:
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I would like to believe. Problem is that a lot of that is already happening with limited effect on the polls. We have to face facts. A large minority of the population simply don't care or notice just how rotten the current regime is.
    None of the really bad stuff, save the UK having a most appalling fatality rate, has really filtered through yet. If, after the economy crashes and more people die in a second wave, the Conservatives are still riding high in the polls after Boris' chaotic management of Covid-19, Starmer might as well just giive up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    edited June 2020

Palms hotel in Hornchurch was to be used for such purposes. Everyone kicked off about it and the decision was reversed.

https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/home-office-in-u-turn-over-palms-hotel-1-6715257
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    eek said:

Immigrants are crossing the channel in little boats and then going to Glasgow? Hmmm...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

I have already predicted Biden at 413, but I am beginning to wonder if that will be too low.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

I hear Texas is quite a good place for a haircut.
    Here in Georgia, I have a German barber: Herr Kutz. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Really?

Isn't it all part of the same group and wasn't the Mirror's editor in chief sat at the same table
    I thought Trinity Mirror bought the Express titles from Desmond. They then changed the name to Reach.
  • Options
    TimT said:

I have already predicted Biden at 413, but I am beginning to wonder if that will be too low.
    For example, there is no recent polling in SC. In January, Trump was +12, in February +4 (both RV). I have to wonder what COVID, the economy, and BLM have done to those numbers. Much will depend on new RV and relative turnout, but ...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited June 2020
    If corona is killing fewer and fewer of the vulnerable people who get it due to better treatment, and given that most healthy people aren't vulnerable anyway, who gives a monkeys how many cases there are? we may as well control our lives by the number of cold/flu/clap etc cases.

Corona is now a tool to control us. See the threat from top medics today. Stop enjoying yourselves, or your kids don't go to school in September.

Its outrageous.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    isam said:

Palms hotel in Hornchurch was to be used for such purposes. Everyone kicked off about it and the decision was reversed.

https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/home-office-in-u-turn-over-palms-hotel-1-6715257
    About 12 years ago I had the misfortune to stay at the Palms for 4 nights, on work. In my job I stayed at hundreds of hotels. I can honestly say the Palms is the only place I've ever stayed that made me fearful - every night, it looked like something could kick off. Seemed to be a gathering place for Essex criminals?
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

For example, there is no recent polling in SC. In January, Trump was +12, in February +4 (both RV). I have to wonder what COVID, the economy, and BLM have done to those numbers. Much will depend on new RV and relative turnout, but ...
    And we have had one poll in Arkansas, FFS, where Trump is only +2
  • Options

'Starmer has played a blinder' = Tories still polling at 40-year record levels, same as they got in GE2019... :wink:
    Expect the Tory lead to rise as we ease out of lockdown, probably for a few months.

Then drop like a stone.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Nigelb said:
    We'll never get to see the inside of a pub at this rate. :-1:
  • Options

‘Forensic’
  • Options

eek said:

Immigrants are crossing the channel in little boats and then going to Glasgow? Hmmm...
    When they arrive in the U.K. they are Processed and dispersed.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Please feel free. Awaits angry comments...
  • Options

Really?

I thought Trinity Mirror bought the Express titles from Desmond. They then changed the name to Reach.
    Back in the 70s there was a man called Desmond who owned a title called "Men Only" which - I am told - featured the monthly horizontal jogging exploits of one Fiona Richmond. Is this related?
  • Options
    edited June 2020

If corona is killing fewer and fewer of the vulnerable people who get it due to better treatment, and given that most healthy people aren't vulnerable anyway, who gives a monkeys how many cases there are? we may as well control our lives by the number of cold/flu/clap etc cases.

Corona is now a tool to control us. See the threat from top medics today. Stop enjoying yourselves, or your kids don't go to school in September.

Its outrageous.

The Southern states of the USA say a collective hi-y-all!
This discussion has been closed.