Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By nearly four to one those who had a view on Jenrick think he

124»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,862

Don't get me wrong. In hindsight I think the meeting should have been cancelled, and I shouldn't have gone. But I should like to know the evidence on which you base your strong opinion.

Leaked data has revealed a high concentration of coronavirus hospitalisations in area next to Cheltehnaham Racecourse. The map seen by GloucestershireLive shows there were 27 confirmed admissions in the GL52 postcode since April 3. The town has become known as a Covid-19 hotspot since the pandemic broke out. It comes after organisers of the Cheltenham Festival defended the decision to go ahead with the event attended by 250,000 people between March 10 and March 13, finishing three days before the Government announced social distancing measures. The day before the started the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said there was ‘no rationale’ to postponing events.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/23/huge-spike-coronavirus-hospital-admissions-cheltenham-festival-held-12600852/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There is much more personal space at Cheltenham than there is on the tube.

There really isn't during a race
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Don't get me wrong. In hindsight I think the meeting should have been cancelled, and I shouldn't have gone. But I should like to know the evidence on which you base your strong opinion.

Leaked data has revealed a high concentration of coronavirus hospitalisations in area next to Cheltehnaham Racecourse. The map seen by GloucestershireLive shows there were 27 confirmed admissions in the GL52 postcode since April 3. The town has become known as a Covid-19 hotspot since the pandemic broke out. It comes after organisers of the Cheltenham Festival defended the decision to go ahead with the event attended by 250,000 people between March 10 and March 13, finishing three days before the Government announced social distancing measures. The day before the started the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said there was ‘no rationale’ to postponing events.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/23/huge-spike-coronavirus-hospital-admissions-cheltenham-festival-held-12600852/
    I'm sure it did. But the country was not in lockdown and to choose Cheltenham over the Central Line is curious.

What are the same stats for Oxford Circus station?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

There is much more personal space at Cheltenham than there is on the tube.

There really isn't during a race
    Everyone is facing the same way during a race (edit: in compliance with current govt guidelines) whereas on the tube people are directly facing each other.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

What are the same stats for Oxford Circus station?

How many commuters are screaming in your face?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Everyone is facing the same way during a race (edit: in compliance with current govt guidelines) whereas on the tube people are directly facing each other.

People in choirs face the same way, and spread the virus in a most efficient manner
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

You are saying that the Cheltenham Festival and that football match were prime conductors.

This at the time when the tube was carrying 2m people per day in and around London?

What percentage of people scream in your face on the tube?

At Cheltenham it's all of them
    Rather depends where you stand, Scott. Must admit I spent less time in The Centaur than usual.

Didn't help my betting judgement though. :(
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1276776113784659969

That Labour wants to win elections again?
  • Options

Rather depends where you stand, Scott.

True, I haven't watched from the champagne bar in the members stand...

But on the terraces, there is not a great deal of personal space
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:
    He has signed an executive order giving a 10 year jail term for pulling down and destroying statues and on that I expect most Americans agree with him.

Even if statues are removed they should be moved to a museum not toppled by the mob
    Couldn't agree more, Hyufd, but while his VP and medical are trying to deal with an epidimic now reaching close to 50,000 new recorded cases daily he is worried about statues!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

People in choirs face the same way, and spread the virus in a most efficient manner
    Exactly. There were tons of events going on of which Cheltenham was but one. All to a greater or lesser extent might have helped spread the virus. Cheltenham, choirs, barbecues, the Northern Line, football matches.

Why single out Cheltenham?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

The area next to Cheltenham Racecourse, which houses large numbers of students in halls of residence and contains a high proportion of communal housing has 27 cases?

I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell you. That it isn’t a dozen times higher.

Meanwhile the wealthy areas of the county where the race goers will have been drawn from - Newent, Moreton, Berkeley, Stow - have seen (checks carefully) zero cases. And Cirencester a bare handful, and Tewkesbury one.

Honestly, this is a classic case of ‘you can prove anything with statistics.’

Gloucestershire has got off pretty lightly as far as I can see. It’s been far less hard hit than Durham, with a similar population profile. If Cheltenham had been a major spreading event, even allowing for the fact the majority of those 250k came from outside Gloucestershire, I think things would have looked very, very different.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Did you go this year?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    I'm a bit worried about the situation in Germany, there are several bad signs apart from the meat factories. It's really time for Merkel to address the country again and say this crisis isn't over and people really need to be careful and also stick to the few rules still in place, and preferably download the app, or we'll all be back in lockdown in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I'll forego the obvious witticisms Scott to just make the more serious point that I was surprised that there did not seem to be a local spike following the meeting. The weather may have helped. It was easy to spend most of the time outdoors which I like to do anyway, although I would normally top up in The Centaur at the start of the day, as you know.

The big stands at Cheltenham are rather more open and breezy than at most football grounds so maybe that helped too. Anecdotally the only instances of people coming down with the virus after the event were those occupying the posh boxes. Not likely to catch me in them.

But in hindsight you were right to duck the event and I was wrong.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1276776113784659969

That Labour wants to win elections again?

Should be noted Miliband didn’t win the election.

However, it should also be noted he genuinely did win the argument, as many of his ideas (e.g. on fuel prices) were stolen by Theresa May for her 2017 manifesto.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Doethur, if anything, given May's abject performance, that shows how unpopular Miliband's ideas remained!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The area next to Cheltenham Racecourse, which houses large numbers of students in halls of residence and contains a high proportion of communal housing has 27 cases?

Meanwhile the wealthy areas of the county where the race goers will have been drawn from - Newent, Moreton, Berkeley, Stow - have seen (checks carefully) zero cases. And Cirencester a bare handful, and Tewkesbury one.

Gloucestershire has got off pretty lightly as far as I can see. It’s been far less hard hit than Durham, with a similar population profile. If Cheltenham had been a major spreading event, even allowing for the fact the majority of those 250k came from outside Gloucestershire, I think things would have looked very, very different.
    It seems that Cheltenham was lucky in that few poeple who were unknownly infected travel there.

Durham on the other hand had very few infections prior to a particular family drove North.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

That is very much confirmed by those of us living here. It *feels* relatively safe, and the stats suggest that is not an illusion.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

Choral performances involve the same group of people remaining close to one another and vigorously exhaling within an indoor environment for a lengthy period.

Based on what we know of the virus, it seems likely that group singing is more risky than travelling on a packed tube train, and that in turn is more risky than being in a noisy crowd in a football stadium or at a racing meeting.

That said, one would still imagine that sports events with spectators will be just about the last activity on which restrictions will be lifted. You'd assume that they'd restart either at the same time as the theatre or after it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Did you go this year?

I decided against this year precisely because I was worried about Covid.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    Or 20% of your population already having had does...we are seeing huge upticks in places where there have been large protests and who previously hadn't suffered too badly.

Now that might be the general opening up, but I find it hard to believe 10,000s of people huddled together for hours on end, screaming and shouting, and coughing from all the tear gas, doesn't present a transmission vector.

The paper the media reported yesterday as saying not down to protests, didn't actually say that, and their own charts of number / size of protests looks very very similar to where we are seeing big upticks.
    Being outside seems to be a pretty low risk, pretty much whatever goes on.
    Yup. The dogs that did not bark.

Spoke to an epidemiologist yesterday, he concurs with you. Reckons transmission risk outside is very low.

Despite the shrieking in the Daily Mail, the beach parties will probably make little difference.
    Totally untrue. The virus can spread rapidly by close outside contact as has been attested in spike events all over the world: in the UK the Cheltenham Festival and Liverpool Champions League matches being prime examples.

So drop your feeble anecdotes and stay safe.
    The Cheltenham Festival was not a spike event. It was only bigged up as such to divert attention from Boris going to the rugby three days earlier.
    The only people attempting to claim that Cheltenham didn't act as a huge virus vector are racegoers, betters and the horse racing industry. Funny that.

Join the moon landing conspiracy theorists if you like but to everyone else the scientific facts are clear.
    You are saying that the Cheltenham Festival and that football match were prime conductors.

This at the time when the tube was carrying 2m people per day in and around London?
    Indeed, the entire Cheltenham festival was about as risky as one hour of peak morning tube travel.
  • Options

Anecdotally the only instances of people coming down with the virus after the event were those occupying the posh boxes. Not likely to catch me in them.

Shadsy got lucky then :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Scott_xP said:

Robert Jenrick affair taints the Conservative Party
    Allegations of cash for favours in a planning dispute could do the Tories more damage in the long run than Covid-19

Although, in my experience, when big men want to influence a decision their instinct is to bypass the monkey and go for the organ-grinder, we must accept what Downing Street says: that the organ-grinder was above the fray. Desmond pitched it to Jenrick instead.

The ordinary citizen will little note nor long remember the details of the mess that this has all become. It was nicely condensed in a single short paragraph by my Times colleague, Quentin Letts, in his sketch on Thursday: “Mr Desmond hoped to develop his former printing plant in the East End. He hit planning trouble. He bought . . . tickets to a Conservative Party dinner and was seated next to the planning minister, our young friend Mr Jenrick. By one of those miracles of fate, Mr Desmond’s planning troubles evaporated.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/robert-jenrick-affair-taints-the-conservative-party-v2kg78vfw

Good piece. Thanks.

It ends with a warning:

"But breezes, invisible, rise and blow things around. Such a breeze may be beginning to stir. That little girl in the photo will be heading for her teens now. She may feel it. Others do. The wind will blow Johnson, Cummings, Jenrick and Zahawi away."

Tories will have had 14 years by 2024. Time for change will be a hard argument to overturn, now that Corbyn is out of the way.
  • Options
    This thread has

been proven to be 20% ineffective.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kamski said:

I'm a bit worried about the situation in Germany, there are several bad signs apart from the meat factories. It's really time for Merkel to address the country again and say this crisis isn't over and people really need to be careful and also stick to the few rules still in place, and preferably download the app, or we'll all be back in lockdown in a couple of weeks.

Our knowledge of this disease is still very patchy. Perhaps countries that have been relatively successful early on in controlling the spread of the disease (and may therefore have had a low level of community transmission in comparison to, say, Italy, France or the UK) can't get away with unlocking without a resurgence in cases? Unless, that is, they can do a New Zealand or Taiwan, crush the virus completely and then implement national self-quarantine, which may not be practical for a country that isn't geographically isolated. Time will tell I guess.
This discussion has been closed.