Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » John Rentoul: The sacking of Rebecca Long-Bailey was a “Blairi

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I see father ted creator has got the twitter ban hammer treatment over this issue.

What did he say?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Ah so Johnson isn't unfit or unhealthy, he's just a terrible PM. Thanks MoS

All sounds like a 'relaunch' to me.

A PM relaunch isn't good at the best of times, but less than a year after a GE win? Jeez...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    glw said:

I see father ted creator has got the twitter ban hammer treatment over this issue.

What did he say?
    https://twitter.com/TooManyEmmas/status/1276796929293377536?s=19
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,418
    glw said:

LadyG said:

Labour plunges further into the Culture War

https://twitter.com/make_trouble/status/1276985244164526081?s=20

I know little about Lloyd Russell-Moyle, but everything I've ever read about him has involved him acting like a complete berk.
    Presumably he'll be out by teatime Sunday afternoon?

Giving SKS a) another opportunity to visibly sack someone who deserves it, showing BoJo up and b) another opportunity to distance himself from the wilder excesses of his party's previous management.

I can't imagine that this was planned, but if it was, it's a corker.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    LadyG said:

alex_ said:

I suppose it will be OK to continue showing Gandhi on TV - because white people can play the part of racists?

Gandhi was SUCH a RACIST!

I mean, fancy leading 400 million NON-WHITE people to Independence in 1947!
    Doesn't mean he wasn't a racist. Just go look at his views on Blacks in South Africa. Really not pleasant at all. Doesn't mean he didn't do great things later in life but that is no excuse for his attitudes when younger.
    Sleeping with his naked 18 year old grand niece (and many other young women) at the age of 70+ was also quite *experimental*

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/01/gandhi-celibacy-test-naked-women
    What an amazing alibi for future reference:

"But darling I only slept with that naked young lady to prove to myself I wasn't interested. Just ask Ghandi"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Permanent Suspension is such an oxymoron.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Labour plunges further into the Culture War

https://twitter.com/make_trouble/status/1276985244164526081?s=20

Both sides are engaged. Transgender issues are becoming a fairly unrepresentative totem, like Blue Passports.
    Yes. It is an utterly explosive issue, full of minefields for the unwary, and is fiendishly niche and complex, to boot.

I cannot see any benefit for a politician stepping into it. I have a couple of acquaintances who are in the TERF-Trans trench war, their accounts are harrowing
    The left-wingers are just making Starmer's purge so easy for him. Turkeys and Xmas.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

Mulling over the logic behind characters in cartoons having to be voiced by an actor of the ethnicity portrayed, isn't it more 'problematic' that the words spoken are written by someone of different ethnicity?

And will Bart have to be voiced by a male actor now, along with Nelson, Ralph, Todd etc?

The same debate is going on in drama, art, publishing - eg the idea is forming that white writers should only write white characters, Asians can do Asians, gays can do gays.

It is utterly toxic. Goodbye the new Othello
    Goodbye female authors writing about male characters next?
    Quite possibly.

There is definitely a move to ensure white writers do not feature leading BAME characters.

https://twitter.com/AlishaEHillam/status/1274713201981128704?s=20

1,000 Likes for that tweet.

It will probably end up with entirely white novels/sitcoms/movies about white middle class people, which people will call racist for being so white.

Alternatively, as Lionel Shriver has suggested, it will end with the only permitted form of writing being memoir, as that is your story and only you can tell it. Once.
    I usually hedge my language, but the approach suggested by that tweet is utterly demented.
    Look her up. She appears to have a few self-published novels; it requires an exceptionally strong telescope to discern her place in the literary firmament.

Utterly bonkers to read her tweeted opinions as representing some fundamental shift in the zeitgeist.
    I didn't, but many people have raised similar points over many years, and whether it becomes the norm or not is irrelevant to it being demented.
    OK. When Salman Rushdie expresses such views, then I’ll be worried. But frankly, to describe this woman as merely obscure is to vastly overstate her significance.
    What's the relevance? I'm critical of the idea, not the woman. I need not wait for an idea to be mainstream to criticise it. And while people not being allowed to write characters who are not of their race is hardly mainstream yet, actors taking on roles which are deemed to be required of a certain race, even animated ones, is more mainstream, when unless the nationality or race is central to the character it should not be a big deal (though underrepresentation of some groups remains an issue).
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/866210411359719424?s=20
    Yep - the world is going mad
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Foxy said:

Lock down in Leicester?

@Foxy was warning us of the situation there a week or so ago.
    Yep. I see Samworth Bros get named as a focus too. Food production again...

Is the situation in terms of hospital admissions calming down (that report mentions cases up to June 16) from what you hear?

More generally, food processing plants really do seem like perfect transmission environments.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

A PM relaunch isn't good at the best of times, but less than a year after a GE win? Jeez...

NOTHING HAS CHANGED !!!
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Yes but at least he did not appoint Long-Bailey or Russell-Moyle to his top team and have to sack them weeks later.
    No he appointed a corrupt Robert Jenrick and a moronic Home Sec instead
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

Mulling over the logic behind characters in cartoons having to be voiced by an actor of the ethnicity portrayed, isn't it more 'problematic' that the words spoken are written by someone of different ethnicity?

And will Bart have to be voiced by a male actor now, along with Nelson, Ralph, Todd etc?

The same debate is going on in drama, art, publishing - eg the idea is forming that white writers should only write white characters, Asians can do Asians, gays can do gays.

All books should be written by diverse committees. The concept of a single author is an abuse of power and reflects assumptions about cultural hegemony in society.
    Sean is way ahead of his time, I know realise.
    I believe he is now writing as part of a committee, including Welsh bard, Transistioning male model and dowager lesbians. I am sure that there will be a dusky variation on the panel too. I wonder if they ever all meet up?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    geoffw said:

It seems they want a kind of cultural apartheid.

What, because the Simpsons have recast Aru?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,418

Are there any examples of a PM's Relaunch ever working?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2020
    LadyG said:

whunter said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

All books should be written by diverse committees. The concept of a single author is an abuse of power and reflects assumptions about cultural hegemony in society.
    And in the 25th Century, the history teacher said ".... and their civilisation was toppled when a cartoon series employed a few extra actors. The shock of this was so immense that it crushed their ability to cope..."

Not!

Look - there are always people crying for stupid stuff like books to be written by committees and so on. Most people will simply ignore them and they will fade into the sort of irrelevance that that sort of person always winds up.

Last week, it was the toppling of statues that was going to end western civilisation. This week the streets seem free of pieces of public sclupture littering gutters and harbours and most people have forgotten it and moved on.

If you really want to worry about the end of civilisation, worry about Eadric's latest story that the Chinese have somehow made the virus worse.
    You simply don't understand. This censorship by Wokeism isn't some fevered dream of lunatic rightwing poets, it is already happening

Books are being cancelled, authors are self-limiting, publishers are employing "sensitivity readers" - to make sure books are Wokeishly correct

https://bookmachine.org/2019/01/15/sensitivity-reading-what-you-need-to-know-and-why-it-matters/

And some genres are now riven with infighting on this issue: authors are getting abuse, suffering boycotts, receiving death threats

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/15/torn-apart-the-vicious-war-over-young-adult-books

This isn't hyperbole. This is real
    People dont see what is going on. They equate wokeism with what until recently was liberalism (freedom, equality etc). It is actually something that benefits a few people (an aggrieved revolutionary elite), and is less good for everyone else because we can now get cancelled at will, have no freedom of speech, our history is getting trashed and rewritten, etc.

This feels a bit like Brexit. People were seduced in to voting for it by visions of restored sovereignty and funding for the NHS, not the chaos it has become.

Fortunately or not, dependent on your perspective, the jokes going to be on the woke (if you excuse the terrible pun). 80 seat majority conservative government, 4 + years left to run. They can set up a process which claims to be about addressing racial and historic grievances; but ends up reversing the 2 decades of woke legislation which has fuelled the current mess. And all in the name of equality and anti racism!

It's a pleasant fantasy to think a rather spineless British Tory government will be able to reverse 40 years of Wokeist progress through academe, media, law, schools, business, charity, arts.

Not going to happen.

I read a tweet the other day which rather summed it up, if I remember correctly it said:

"Culture war is the wrong description. The culture was is over, and the Left won. Now they are just going around shooting the survivors."

The pendulum WILL swing, but my, it is taking a while and by the time it happens much damage will have been done (along with the original good things done, of course: racial equality, gay rights, and so on)
    You're equating modern identity movements, powered from both right and left, and with influences from both marxism. ultra-capitalism and nationalism, with a monolithic 'marxist movement' of 40 years standing again, I'm afraid. Culture, administration and politics has not worked like that, particularly in Anglo- America.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

Linehan became obsessed with the Trans-TERF war, and in the end it was all he could talk about. Quite bizarre. A warning to others.

Such a talented comic writer, as well. Hopefully this will be to the benefit of his mental health and he can back to writing fun things.
    Maybe he enjoys arguing with people on the Internet?
  • Options
    I think Sean is some kind of rudimentary AI
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Has it been proven that Russia paid the taliban to kill American soldiers? I know proof is a very old-fashioned concept, but the entire conversation seems to be about 'when did Trump know?', without actually establishing the veracity of the story itself.
  • Options
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

humbugger said:

Yes but at least he did not appoint Long-Bailey or Russell-Moyle to his top team and have to sack them weeks later.
    You should be very careful about accusing people of being corrupt. Is it the Home Secretary being a woman or being BAME that offends you?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

Blimey, they don't like him much, do they!

No

And it's working :smiley:
  • Options
    ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Lock down in Leicester?

Is the situation in terms of hospital admissions calming down (that report mentions cases up to June 16) from what you hear?

More generally, food processing plants really do seem like perfect transmission environments.
    No, it is a working age population, with milder disease, at least at present. I think we have 62 inpatients with it, but few in ICU. At the peak we had over 200 inpatients and 55 on ICU.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    glw said:

What did he say?
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jun/27/twitter-closes-graham-linehan-account-after-trans-comment
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

Linehan became obsessed with the Trans-TERF war, and in the end it was all he could talk about. Quite bizarre. A warning to others.

Such a talented comic writer, as well. Hopefully this will be to the benefit of his mental health and he can back to writing fun things.
    If only we could think of another writer with an online obsession about culture wars and the forthcoming end of society to warn them of their ridiculous behaviour......
  • Options
    Ah OK I get it. This wall to wall revolving bow tie reactionary shtick - "losing our history" and "the death of quality light entertainment" etc etc - it's all a big wind up isn't it.

I've been tangoed!

Grrr ☺
  • Options
    Wouldn't the real Angela Rayner spell her own name correctly?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Foxy said:

The name is the spelling of the recipient's contact for that number
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Foxy said:

It's that little detail that really sells the authenticity...
  • Options
    whunterwhunter Posts: 60
    LadyG said:

whunter said:

LadyG said:

whunter said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

And in the 25th Century, the history teacher said ".... and their civilisation was toppled when a cartoon series employed a few extra actors. The shock of this was so immense that it crushed their ability to cope..."

Not!

Look - there are always people crying for stupid stuff like books to be written by committees and so on. Most people will simply ignore them and they will fade into the sort of irrelevance that that sort of person always winds up.

Last week, it was the toppling of statues that was going to end western civilisation. This week the streets seem free of pieces of public sclupture littering gutters and harbours and most people have forgotten it and moved on.

If you really want to worry about the end of civilisation, worry about Eadric's latest story that the Chinese have somehow made the virus worse.
    You simply don't understand. This censorship by Wokeism isn't some fevered dream of lunatic rightwing poets, it is already happening

Books are being cancelled, authors are self-limiting, publishers are employing "sensitivity readers" - to make sure books are Wokeishly correct

https://bookmachine.org/2019/01/15/sensitivity-reading-what-you-need-to-know-and-why-it-matters/

And some genres are now riven with infighting on this issue: authors are getting abuse, suffering boycotts, receiving death threats

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/15/torn-apart-the-vicious-war-over-young-adult-books

This isn't hyperbole. This is real
    People dont see what is going on. They equate wokeism with what until recently was liberalism (freedom, equality etc). It is actually something that benefits a few people (an aggrieved revolutionary elite), and is less good for everyone else because we can now get cancelled at will, have no freedom of speech, our history is getting trashed and rewritten, etc.

This feels a bit like Brexit. People were seduced in to voting for it by visions of restored sovereignty and funding for the NHS, not the chaos it has become.

Fortunately or not, dependent on your perspective, the jokes going to be on the woke (if you excuse the terrible pun). 80 seat majority conservative government, 4 + years left to run. They can set up a process which claims to be about addressing racial and historic grievances; but ends up reversing the 2 decades of woke legislation which has fuelled the current mess. And all in the name of equality and anti racism!

It's a pleasant fantasy to think a rather spineless British Tory government will be able to reverse 40 years of Wokeist progress through academe, media, law, schools, business, charity, arts.

Not going to happen.

I read a tweet the other day which rather summed it up, if I remember correctly it said:

"Culture war is the wrong description. The culture was is over, and the Left won. Now they are just going around shooting the survivors."

The pendulum WILL swing, but my, it is taking a while and by the time it happens much damage will have been done (along with the original good things done, of course: racial equality, gay rights, and so on)
    I think they will. They've already quietly dropped the gender recognition stuff. The woke element of the conservative party were largely purged last year in the Brexit wars. They have a free run at it.

Secondly, you are overestimating the impact of all this. It passes most people by. From a tactical perspective you've got to let the woke go to mad extremes (defacing churchill etc) before you have the political ability to tackle them. Thats what is happening now.

It is all about not interrupting the enemy while it is making a mistake.

I think that is the calculation.

This might be true if this was a purely British phenomenon (even then it would be a hard battle). This is clearly not the case. Poor George Floyd was killed in America.

Wokeism is a huge, pan-western phenomenon, mainly English-speaking, but you can find it in Scandinavia, France, Holland, elsewhere

It's epochal. Boris and Dom are not going to overturn it in four nervous plaguey Brexity years.
    Theres a model for how to successfully deal with it: Poland, Hungary.

Theres a model for how not to deal with it: Trump.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Infrastructure up, current spending down? Sounds baout right
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525

You'll want to watch this one to the end. Outstandingly bonkers.

https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1276883249369882625

Restores one's faith in human nature.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I'm 99% that the name is taken from the contact on the phone in WhatsApp, so it's the person who made the screengrab that is at fault.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Lock down in Leicester?

No, it is a working age population, with milder disease, at least at present. I think we have 62 inpatients with it, but few in ICU. At the peak we had over 200 inpatients and 55 on ICU.
    Thanks. Hopefully, as in North Wales, the additional testing + isolation will work and the number of new cases will decline soon.

• Options
    Your name doesn't go on WhatsApp on somebody else's phone, it is based on your contact list entry.

Does nobody here actually use WhatsApp?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Blair was the best PM this century

Besides Johnson and Cameron I completely agree with you he is next best.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Let it go. If you keep scratching it will only get worse.
    It's fine, I'm unpicking the folly of your idea. It ends with mono culture.
    There is zero evidence that the embrace of the diversity and equality agenda in recent years has led to anything like a monoculture. Quite the opposite.

It's all in your head. Truly, it is.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Starmer is far better than his predecessor but he's no Blair. He isn't even a Kinnock yet.

Kinnock expelled people from Labour to try and make the party more electable. We are waiting to see if Starmer does that. If he does, that will be transformative.

He doesn't really need to be a Blair or a Kinnock he just needs to be better than Johnson.
    That's a pretty high bar though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    kinabalu said:

geoffw said:

It seems they want a kind of cultural apartheid.

What, because the Simpsons have recast Aru?
    It's Apu, you racist!
  • Options

It has been a short century so far... 80% of it is yet to come...
  • Options

Blair and his sidekick Brown paved the way for 4 successive Tory election wins, and counting. What's not to like?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1276994411721785351

Everything Johnson has ever implemented has been a total disaster, I think this will be no different.
  • Options

Infrastructure up, current spending down? Sounds baout right
    "PM says he will do anything for a photo op and proves it. We say no one makes a PM like this a*sehole"

:flushed:
  • Options
    humbugger said:

humbugger said:

You should be very careful about accusing people of being corrupt. Is it the Home Secretary being a woman or being BAME that offends you?
    People were none too careful about accusing RLB of being an antisemite.

Rather more evidence for Jenrick's corruption some might argue.
  • Options
    glw said:

Foxy said:

I'm 99% that the name is taken from the contact on the phone in WhatsApp, so it's the person who made the screengrab that is at fault.
    Maybe it came from Kia Starmer?
  • Options

Your name doesn't go on WhatsApp on somebody else's phone, it is based on your contact list entry.

So how do we know who sent it?

I think it correct that the recipient labels it, so Angela Raynor could be Byronic for all we know!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

Quite possibly.

There is definitely a move to ensure white writers do not feature leading BAME characters.

https://twitter.com/AlishaEHillam/status/1274713201981128704?s=20

1,000 Likes for that tweet.

It will probably end up with entirely white novels/sitcoms/movies about white middle class people, which people will call racist for being so white.

Alternatively, as Lionel Shriver has suggested, it will end with the only permitted form of writing being memoir, as that is your story and only you can tell it. Once.
    I usually hedge my language, but the approach suggested by that tweet is utterly demented.
    https://twitter.com/marketwarbles/status/1276970716559110144
    How about people writing about historical or futuristic characters ?
    I write ghost stories. Maybe I ought to try being dead before insulting the "alternatively corporeal".
    Just, whatever you do, don't call them "spooks".....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    glw said:

Foxy said:

This is correct.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Technically it does if you don't have their number in your contacts.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Petercampbell1/status/1276931473434607617

Just let them fail right PB Tories? The free market will prevail?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Antisemites might argue, nobody reasonable could that.

On RLB's ledger for antisemitism there are dozens and dozens of instances of antisemitism.

On Jenrick we have people banging on about one housing contract endlessly. If there were dozens and dozens of instances of alleged corruption then I think we'd have heard more than just one by now. 🙄
  • Options

There is no free market while we're under lockdown.
  • Options

It just shows the number, if they're not in your contacts.
  • Options

There is such a case. But it's Gordon for me. His post crash leadership - monumental.
  • Options
    JLR being part nationalised under a Tory government? Heh.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Perhaps. Mr CHB and others should note that potentially actionable posts could rebound on PB's proprietor.
  • Options

You're right. It's just on the notification it shows their selected name. My bad.
  • Options

The free market is not operating under government lockdown rules. If you think the government is wrong to consider helping these companies then say so.
  • Options

You're right. It's just on the notification it shows their selected name. My bad.
    I wasn't trying to have a go but thanks for acknowledging my answer, friend.
  • Options

Do you need someone to explain the difference between an equity stake and nationalisation?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

People are moving from Twitter to Parler in increasing numbers.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

Even Jezza didn't want to nationalise JLR!
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Do you need someone to explain the difference between an equity stake and nationalisation?
    Someone's triggered.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1276994411721785351

Everything Johnson has ever implemented has been a total disaster, I think this will be no different.

The general election strategy that knocked Labour flat on its arse was pretty decently implemented by Boris... :lol:
  • Options
    ABZ said:

Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Lock down in Leicester?

Thanks. Hopefully, as in North Wales, the additional testing + isolation will work and the number of new cases will decline soon.

The Mayor of Leicester only heard about a lockdown when Peston blogged on it. Seems that the characteristic communications incompetence of the government.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/what-city-council-says-reports-4270800
  • Options
    I believe the correct PB response is "Dirty, rotten, sleazy Tories on the slide..."??

:D:D
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited June 2020
    Experiment to see if a Parler post shows up on here. This one is from Douglas Carswell. (Looks like the answer is no).

https://parler.com/post-view?q=c01fde0e633944aca3a2d967456f8f6c
  • Options

alex_ said:

I suppose it will be OK to continue showing Gandhi on TV - because white people can play the part of racists?

Gandhi was SUCH a RACIST!

I mean, fancy leading 400 million NON-WHITE people to Independence in 1947!
    Are you suggesting non-whites can't be racist?

Aung San Suu Kyi has gone from a resistance hero to a racist for what her nation is doing to the Rohingya. I used to respect her but would be prepared to call her a racist now and think she should lose her Peace Prize . . . though she is far from unique in Nobel Peace Prize winners going on to have issues.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

On RLB's ledger for antisemitism there are dozens and dozens of instances of antisemitism.

On Jenrick we have people banging on about one housing contract endlessly. If there were dozens and dozens of instances of alleged corruption then I think we'd have heard more than just one by now. 🙄
    Go on then 24 instances. Your time starts now. I think this is known as 'proof or ban'.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Experiment to see if a Parler post shows up on here. This one is from Douglas Carswell. (Looks like the answer is no).

How would that work? It requires implementation, it doesn't just work out of thin air
  • Options

kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Go on then 24 instances. Your time starts now. I think this is known as 'proof or ban'.
    Not worth my time or effort thanks, can't be arsed.

Wait for the EHRC report if you like but there have been dozens of instances in the past and unless I've missed your being a Moderator I don't think its appropriate to suggest bans.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Clicking the link it asks for Login or Sign Up so guessing it isn't public like Twitter.
  • Options
    LOL at whichever sad lefty who has chosen to flag my comment of RLB's history of antisemitism as "Off Topic".

FFS read the Topic of the thread header if you think that is Off Topic. 😂
  • Options

kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Wait for the EHRC report if you like but there have been dozens of instances in the past and unless I've missed your being a Moderator I don't think its appropriate to suggest bans.
    But you seem so certain. Surely there must be 24 cite able antisemitic acts you can reach to in an instant. Of course I'm not Mike but if I was I would be very concerned about such blatant slander on my site.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

Out of pure curiousity, I looked at their "Mission Statement" and it sounds like if people thought Twitter could be vile....

I do not use Twitter much. I doubt I will use Parler at all.
  • Options
    Parler has a few million users, Twitter has 321 million a month.

I don't think Twitter is worried about some nutters being banned from their platform. Of course it is interesting to see the same people who were insistent that Facebook wasn't in trouble when I said it was, say the same about Twitter with little evidence for it. Partisanship is responsible for that, I think.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Clicking the link it asks for Login or Sign Up so guessing it isn't public like Twitter.
    Good
  • Options

kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

But you seem so certain. Surely there must be 24 cite able antisemitic acts you can reach to in an instant. Of course I'm not Mike but if I was I would be very concerned about such blatant slander on my site.
    Yes I am and if Mike were to ask me to substantiate it or remove it then I would, but you're not Mike and nor it seems are you interested in politics if you weren't aware of RLB's long, long history of antisemitism.

Its been a running theory on this site that she was only kept in the Shadow Cabinet in order to be sacked next time she did anything antisemitic knowing it would only be a matter of time! Why would that be the case if this was her first instance of antisemitism?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    Alistair said:

alex_ said:

Are you commenting on Ben Kingsley playing the leading role. Son of Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji?
    In that case he shouldn't have played Don Logan in Sexy Beast!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

LOL at whichever sad lefty who has chosen to flag my comment of RLB's history of antisemitism as "Off Topic".

FFS read the Topic of the thread header if you think that is Off Topic. 😂

It's off topic because you are on topic.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Yes I am and if Mike were to ask me to substantiate it or remove it then I would, but you're not Mike and nor it seems are you interested in politics if you weren't aware of RLB's long, long history of antisemitism.

Its been a running theory on this site that she was only kept in the Shadow Cabinet in order to be sacked next time she did anything antisemitic knowing it would only be a matter of time! Why would that be the case if this was her first instance of antisemitism?
    I'll take 10 citations. Prove it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited June 2020
    glw said:

Foxy said:

And where does the avatar photo come from?
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

alex_ said:

Are you commenting on Ben Kingsley playing the leading role. Son of Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji?
    In that case he shouldn't have played Don Logan in Sexy Beast!
    Ben Kingsley is dual heritage so seems fair enough to play both a Gujerati and a Brit.
  • Options

glw said:

Foxy said:

And where does the avatar photo come from?
    You can set your profile picture and that is transmitted with your messages, even if they don't have you in their contacts.

It's an odd decision they took - but I assume there's a reason behind it technically.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Lock down in Leicester?

The Mayor of Leicester only heard about a lockdown when Peston blogged on it. Seems that the characteristic communications incompetence of the government.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/what-city-council-says-reports-4270800
    What lockdown ? The 'evidence' is actually a denial:

In a blog, Peston quoted an unnamed senior Government official as saying: “It would need to be driven by the data and we’re not at that stage right now. We are very actively managing [this] and analysing it at the moment. Time will tell."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

Yes, medium-term Twitter is in trouble. Its sole USP is being THE forum for vivid argument and political debate: it slants left but there are plenty of rightwingers to keep it engaging.

If the rightwingers abandon it as too dangerous or hostile, which they are doing, then it would very quickly die. It would be a sterile echo chamber, not worth the hassle. Imagine PB populated solely by Corbynites or Brexiteers, who else would join?

Quite a dilemma for Twitter.

I think there is a strand of thought that twitter is banning dissenting voices so to be heard they need to move
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Parler has a few million users, Twitter has 321 million a month.

I don't think Twitter is worried about some nutters being banned from their platform. Of course it is interesting to see the same people who were insistent that Facebook wasn't in trouble when I said it was, say the same about Twitter with little evidence for it. Partisanship is responsible for that, I think.

I think both are in trouble. It is the nature of the beast. Social media evolves fast. Myspace? Bebo? Snapchat?

Facebook has gone from youthful amazebomb to granny-posts-a-photo. Twitter is now evolving from sassy news and political arguments to Lefties ranting at... no one, in the end.

Neither arc is positive.

But other media will take over. Who knows what.

On this I pretty much agree with you.

Facebook will die first I think - but I believe in 10 years we will be using something else.

Snapchat will be the first to shut down, as it's been totally eclipsed by Instagram (which I realise is owned by Facebook).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited June 2020

Project Birch? Does that mean they get a damn good thrashing?
  • Options
    Floater said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

glw said:

What did he say?
    This is a sad case.

Yes, medium-term Twitter is in trouble. Its sole USP is being THE forum for vivid argument and political debate: it slants left but there are plenty of rightwingers to keep it engaging.

If the rightwingers abandon it as too dangerous or hostile, which they are doing, then it would very quickly die. It would be a sterile echo chamber, not worth the hassle. Imagine PB populated solely by Corbynites or Brexiteers, who else would join?

Quite a dilemma for Twitter.

I think there is a strand of thought that twitter is banning dissenting voices so to be heard they need to move
    It's a private company, they have ToS, you break them they kick you off.

Funny how right-wingers champion freedom of enterprise until they do something they don't like, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.