Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Paying the way

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    dixiedean said:

So does this only apply to the City of Leicester?
    If so, this appears to be a good way of spreading the virus to the suburbs and surrounding areas pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops.
    If you don't stop people moving around you can't control an outbreak.

And surrounds according to Hancock but do not ask me how they decide the outer limits
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

Floater said:

Scott_xP said:

The problem seems to be large numbers of youngsters hanging around outside fast food outlets.

So close the outlets down?

So they'll go to fast food outlets further away

It's a genius plan
    So, give us your answer
    It is probably a marvelous idea when done by the Germans.
    Apparently the fact that different people within the Labour party are for and against it goes to prove to Scott that the government is all over the place.

The joys of Brexit derangement syndrome
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Scott_xP said:
    Yes, everybody's doin' it. Disassociating from Trumpsky, that is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    So some of Leicester Labour are saying that the government has acted too quickly and some of Leicester Labour are saying that the government hasn't acted quickly enough.
    The Mayor says he and the local director of Public Health have not been informed about basic stuff like postcodes, doesn't think it is justified, MPs thinking it was too slow.
    Contradiction seems to be the order of the day
    No, the difference between local and national politics.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Charles said:

The Republicans have got a new poster couple.

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1277628850130780160?s=21

Horrific
    There was a mob on their front lawn. How should they have reacted?
    Dressed better.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Ah Alastair. Welcome back.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Floater said:

It makes you think the Government haven't completely fucked this up?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1277643514030051331
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Off topic - Mike S, you say, and I'm sure sincerely, that you hate Trumpsky. Hear Hear!

BUT when I log into PB, tend to see ads for - guess who?!?!

Know you need to pay the freight, and wouldn't ask but you did use the H-word. Just wondering, aren't there enough OTHER advertisers out there? Couldn't you dump this trash over the side and sail away?

NOTE that anything to do with PB is ultimately YOUR decision. AND methinks that maybe you have little to no control over ads, esp. ones directed to right (or rather left)-thinking 'Mericans such as myself. BUT am curious, which is why I ask.

Thanks yet again & in advance for all you do for us PBers!

Aren't the ads tailored to you? (Probably badly tailored, I accept.)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Charles said:

Horrific
    By pulling guns? You approve?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

If so, this appears to be a good way of spreading the virus to the suburbs and surrounding areas pubs, restaurants and non-essential shops.

It includes several contiguous suburbs, and "non essential travel" in and out is banned.

Leicester schools break for summer earlier than most of the UK, by a week or so. Indeed during "Leeicester fortnight" used to get cheaper holidays and meet up with Glaswegians as they break early too.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    So some of Leicester Labour are saying that the government has acted too quickly and some of Leicester Labour are saying that the government hasn't acted quickly enough.
    The Mayor says he and the local director of Public Health have not been informed about basic stuff like postcodes, doesn't think it is justified, MPs thinking it was too slow.
    Given a choice between who knows more about a city - the Mayor or its MPs - i would go with the Mayor every time.
    Except the Mayor will carry the cam while an MP can get away with it
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

local lockdown in Leicester

Probably means locals will move outside the area and spread it further

The problem seems to be large numbers of youngsters hanging around outside fast food outlets.

I drive down the Humberstone rd everyday, and no sign of what you say. Where do you get your info?
    What’s stopping everyone catching a twenty minute train to Nottingham so they can go down the pub on Saturday? Better pubs in Nottingham anyway!
  • Options

Charles said:

Horrific
    The AR platform is at least unpretentious - but is it pretentious in it's unprenteniousness? The whole "I'm just an M16 vibe"?

The PPK in chrome is definitely a fashion faux pax.

2/10 for gun fashion sense.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

It includes several contiguous suburbs, and "non essential travel" in and out is banned.

Leicester schools break for summer earlier than most of the UK, by a week or so. Indeed during "Leeicester fortnight" used to get cheaper holidays and meet up with Glaswegians as they break early too.
    Like Bolton week. Which was a fortnight. We used to have 2 weeks off, go back for 2 then break for the Summer Holidays.
    Will anyone obey this non-essential travel? Who will enforce it and how?
  • Options

Charles said:

Horrific
    The video I saw was a protest passing but standing with that kind of weaponry on display is sickening, but then this is the US of Donald Trump
    It wasn’t passing. They had gone through the gate of a private garden. Goodness knows where it was going.

(But pulling guns was daft.)
  • Options

Charles said:

Please help a simpleton out. Presuming the government can borrow at lower rates than private institutions what is the point of the assorted PFI schemes.

The debt is still owed right? Its just shuffled around a little.

Accounting.

Under Major it was a slightly theoretical way of bringing the private sector into operating contracts for assets that couldn’t be sold (a type of privatisation) but was pretty small scale

Brown saw it as a way to spend more than he promised to because someone else paid the upfront and then made oodles of cash for years to come.

There was a company that tried that in the private sector. It was called Enron. I wonder what happened to them?
    I've heard it described as like a credit card - fine to transfer small amounts in time (for short periods). Start living off it....
    A CFO would have been locked up.

Brown spent money but claimed it wasn’t part of the national debt therefore he was living within his budget
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    Charles said:

Horrific
    Was it the mob taking the photograph?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I drive down the Humberstone rd everyday, and no sign of what you say. Where do you get your info?
    Does Leicester have an above average BAME population
    Yes, in the city everyone is a minority.

There has been no increase in inpatient admissions.
    @Foxy Do you see value in this? I'd guess it's very precautionary to make sure numbers come down rapidly...
    Not really. Hardly any shops have reopened already, even though they could. The Asian community are rarely pubgoer.

It will make my drive to work a bit quieter again, I suppose, and frighten off the patients that we have gradually enticed back.
    Bizarre. Pretty much every shop has reopened on my local high street in suburban London. Assumed that was the case everywhere.
  • Options

Off topic - Mike S, you say, and I'm sure sincerely, that you hate Trumpsky. Hear Hear!

Know you need to pay the freight, and wouldn't ask but you did use the H-word. Just wondering, aren't there enough OTHER advertisers out there? Couldn't you dump this trash over the side and sail away?

NOTE that anything to do with PB is ultimately YOUR decision. AND methinks that maybe you have little to no control over ads, esp. ones directed to right (or rather left)-thinking 'Mericans such as myself. BUT am curious, which is why I ask.

Guido controls the ads...

IIRC you are a (semi professional?) Democrat activist?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Has Soulsby produced any sort of action plan himself ?

Simply saying that action isn't necessary can be construed as being lax if other people are demanding action.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314

Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Foxy Do you see value in this? I'd guess it's very precautionary to make sure numbers come down rapidly...
    Not really. Hardly any shops have reopened already, even though they could. The Asian community are rarely pubgoer.

It will make my drive to work a bit quieter again, I suppose, and frighten off the patients that we have gradually enticed back.
    Bizarre. Pretty much every shop has reopened on my local high street in suburban London. Assumed that was the case everywhere.
    Not around here, and Gloucestershire doesn't have much of the bug.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

What’s stopping everyone catching a twenty minute train to Nottingham so they can go down the pub on Saturday? Better pubs in Nottingham anyway!
    Plenty of nice pubs in the county of Leics. No need to travel to Shottingham.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
  • Options
    Charles said:

Guido?
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    edited June 2020

Charles said:

Horrific
    Some of these BLM protests have got violent. People have been beaten very badly. Some have died, on both sides

Maybe more relevantly, In this same city, St Louis, on this same day - two days ago - this happened.

https://twitter.com/CMartinForMO/status/1277299606699851777?s=20

Now, the tweeter might be lying, but the video looks quite plausible

So if these protesters - as is ALLEGED - walked into your private gated community, what would you do? Just hope they are peaceful?

I'm not sure British people realise how venomous this is getting in America. And of course America has the 2nd Amendment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Please help a simpleton out. Presuming the government can borrow at lower rates than private institutions what is the point of the assorted PFI schemes.

Accounting.

Under Major it was a slightly theoretical way of bringing the private sector into operating contracts for assets that couldn’t be sold (a type of privatisation) but was pretty small scale

Brown saw it as a way to spend more than he promised to because someone else paid the upfront and then made oodles of cash for years to come.

There was a company that tried that in the private sector. It was called Enron. I wonder what happened to them?
    I've heard it described as like a credit card - fine to transfer small amounts in time (for short periods). Start living off it....

Brown spent money but claimed it wasn’t part of the national debt therefore he was living within his budget
    A friend works in private banking - the stories he tells me, convince me that 90% of the allegedly wealth actually own 1% of their apparent assets.

Bricks of credit cards rotating the balances, mortgages on top of mortgage.

Then they come in and want to borrow more. To live on....
  • Options
    For $20 you can buy a mask from Joe's campaign with "BIDEN" emblazoned on the front. In blue, of course! AND for every one purchased, Biden campaign is donating one un-branded mask to a "worthy organization" which I presume is NOT the Republican Party.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
  • Options
    Charles said:

I see lots of..... betting adverts.
  • Options

Charles said:

Horrific
    No. They got scared and reacted stupidly.

I mean if the crowd had reacted differently they would have been absolutely f*cked.

I suspect I would have barricaded the doors and hidden. But may be I’m
    a coward.

(By the way it is a monstrosity of a house).
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific
    The video I saw was a protest passing but standing with that kind of weaponry on display is sickening, but then this is the US of Donald Trump
    It wasn’t passing. They had gone through the gate of a private garden. Goodness knows where it was going.

Funnily enough last time I was in the US we had a gun aimed at us by a lady on her porch because we'd trespassed on her land. Hadn't done it on purpose, of course; we were walking a dog for friends and didn't realise we were on her land.

Scary thing about that kind of situation is that you're never entirely sure the idiot holding the gun isn't going to shoot.

This happened in upper NY State, near Lake Placid. Not exactly the wild west.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

I mean if the crowd had reacted differently they would have been absolutely f*cked.

a coward.

Have you seen inside? It's quite something

https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1277450119592521729?s=20
  • Options

Charles said:

I see lots of..... betting adverts.
    I'm now getting ads for pillows. What's caused that?
  • Options

Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Many are still closed here - many cafes and restaurants are having a rip-out-and-rebuild.

Laugh at this - the charity shops are nearly all closed. Why you ask? Well, it is hard to get volunteers to work in a shop at the moment. And the charities don't want to pay for full staff for the shops - they normally cut the hours of the paid staff by padding it out with the volunteers.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Scott_xP said:

Floater said:

It makes you think the Government haven't completely fucked this up?

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1277643514030051331
    Don't worry "FDR" Johnson is launching his "New Deal" in Dudley tomorrow.

Johnson comparing himself to Roosevelt perhaps.demonstrates that Covid-19 might affect one's self-awareness.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Plenty of nice pubs in the county of Leics. No need to travel to Shottingham.
    Will they be open?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MaxPB said:

It used to be an off the books liability. It isn't now so it doesn't get used.
    The theoretical point of PFI was that it would allow risk sharing. Say there was demand for a bridge in East London. A firm would build and operate the bridge, and would get paid according to how many people used it. If the bridge was less popular than expected, or the costs of building it overran, then it would be the private sector that was on the hook.

However, as @MaxPB points out, it was mostly used to hide government debt.
  • Options
    So that woman actually faked statements by the "Cambridge Police"??!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

It looks like one of the hotels SeanT visits.
  • Options

Charles said:

Guido?
    I think Paul Staines owns the company that sources most of the ads for blogs in the U.K. Forget what it’s called.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Rumbled? His first point hinges on her linking the wrong Twitter handle for Cambridge Police. It's hardly important.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

It used to be an off the books liability. It isn't now so it doesn't get used.
    The theoretical point of PFI was that it would allow risk sharing. Say there was demand for a bridge in East London. A firm would build and operate the bridge, and would get paid according to how many people used it. If the bridge was less popular than expected, or the costs of building it overran, then it would be the private sector that was on the hook.

However, as @MaxPB points out, it was mostly used to hide government debt.
    The Voyager tanker/transports mentioned in the header are prime example of why this is stupid. It's already cost more than if we'd bought them. And we are restricted in what the RAF can do with them.
  • Options
    On topic - in US of A we've got a SERIOUS backlog re: infrastructure. If you recall, Trumpsky made a big deal about how he was going to tackle this problem - probably made the difference in Wisconsin to mention just one close 2016 outcome.

SO what's Our Fearless Leader done about it? ZILCH. Despite fact it was one Trump plank that many Democrats could support.

IF he'd even tried to act like he was interested, he MIGHT be doing a bit better than he is today. And given that the race will probably tighten a bit - but not enough for the MAGAman - by November, then any progress toward his alleged goal would have potential to maybe put him over the top.

Especially since most of the projects that could be tackled are OUTDOOR construction jobs, most of which would be possible to work on despite the pandemic. And would be helping boost the economy & employment at this critical juncture.

IF the Donald gave a rat's ass. But he don't, not one dropping's worth.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

Being a lawyer in St Louis is clearly quite a profitable biz
  • Options

Foxy said:

ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Many are still closed here - many cafes and restaurants are having a rip-out-and-rebuild.

Laugh at this - the charity shops are nearly all closed. Why you ask? Well, it is hard to get volunteers to work in a shop at the moment. And the charities don't want to pay for full staff for the shops - they normally cut the hours of the paid staff by padding it out with the volunteers.
    It’s only charity shops that are closed here, everything else is open and trading seemingly well. I did wonder why the charity shops were closed. Now I know! Thanks.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    LadyG said:

She sounds nice:

https://twitter.com/Peter___Ward/status/1277650284144136199
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Don't usually do this but can I recommend a petition. It relates to Nick Buckley who was sacked from the charity Mancunian Way (an organisation he founded which helps disadvantaged young people) because he made some unflattering remarks about BLM on a blog post - essentially their 'marxism' will prove divisive. A few hundred people then petitioned th trustees to remove for horror of horrors, criticising BLM.

https://www.change.org/p/silent-majority-reinstate-nick-buckley-as-ceo-of-mancunian-way-charity?recruiter=false&recruited_by_id=705f7a60-b9eb-11ea-9d53-81144f305638

I am sure someone with far more legal knowledge will say it is not as simple as that but I would imagine an effective way to stop businesses sacking employees for their political views would be to say that damages for employees sacked unlawfully for their political views should be uncapped in the same way they are for race / sex / disability etc discrimination claims
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Too much talk of bouncing

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Well, at least it keeps the tumbleweed on his head clamped down. However, methinks the PM never saw the killer GOP ad of Mike Dukakis on top of the tank with a helmet that made him look like a cartoon character?
  • Options

Rumbled? His first point hinges on her linking the wrong Twitter handle for Cambridge Police. It's hardly important.
    Well, it does make her look quite mad. As does this, she tweets praise about herself in the third person, pretending to be "others" on her account. lol

https://twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/status/1277509403990806528?s=20
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

In many parts of the US you can buy palatial homes for the price of a Zone 1 flat.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

She has two tweets from the same fake Cambridge Police Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Peter___Ward/status/1277581103369519105?s=20

https://twitter.com/Peter___Ward/status/1277581105202450438?s=20
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

On topic - in US of A we've got a SERIOUS backlog re: infrastructure. If you recall, Trumpsky made a big deal about how he was going to tackle this problem - probably made the difference in Wisconsin to mention just one close 2016 outcome.

SO what's Our Fearless Leader done about it? ZILCH. Despite fact it was one Trump plank that many Democrats could support.

IF he'd even tried to act like he was interested, he MIGHT be doing a bit better than he is today. And given that the race will probably tighten a bit - but not enough for the MAGAman - by November, then any progress toward his alleged goal would have potential to maybe put him over the top.

Especially since most of the projects that could be tackled are OUTDOOR construction jobs, most of which would be possible to work on despite the pandemic. And would be helping boost the economy & employment at this critical juncture.

IF the Donald gave a rat's ass. But he don't, not one dropping's worth.

You should perhaps try and think about something other than Trump for a while. PB's personalised ads are clearly telling you something!
  • Options
    This'll do wonders for the tourist trade.....

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1277718063123705856?s=20
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Isn't it a key bit of media management to never, ever be photographed in a hat?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Accounting.

A friend works in private banking - the stories he tells me, convince me that 90% of the allegedly wealth actually own 1% of their apparent assets.

Buy a yacht 50m. Borrow 25m against it at very low interest rates as it is very secure. Rinse and repeat

But I guess it depends which private bank your friend works at...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    His argument is that the fake quote the Sarah Vine apologised for spreading is both fake and that it is not fake?

I don't quite follow.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Charles said:

Horrific
    Some of these BLM protests have got violent. People have been beaten very badly. Some have died, on both sides

Maybe more relevantly, In this same city, St Louis, on this same day - two days ago - this happened.

So if these protesters - as is ALLEGED - walked into your private gated community, what would you do? Just hope they are peaceful?

I'm not sure British people realise how venomous this is getting in America. And of course America has the 2nd Amendment.
    So all that talk about Biden and the Democrats making strides in the Catholic vote.....
  • Options

And the second point is the defamatory quote, while fake, is also totally true.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

She was claiming they said something relevant to her case. Which they did, but it's not the account of the Cambridge police, so its likely made up.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Well, it does make her look quite mad. As does this, she tweets praise about herself in the third person, pretending to be "others" on her account. lol

The Julius Caesar of the Woke Legions
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

Profitable, no doubt. However, this land pirate has obviously NOT invested any of his filthy lucre in a basic art appreciation course. What a palace of poop!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

His argument is that the fake quote the Sarah Vine apologised for spreading is both fake and that it is not fake?

I don't quite follow.
    She says the Police are handling it and cites a fake Twitter account in support.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.
    Yes, I think he's got it wrong, and let her off the hook (Because she does have questions to answer)

But he's mixed up the fake tweets with some real tweets AND he's overdone the police angle, as williamglenn says she just got the wrong link, hardly a sacking ofence
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

Roof will be a bugger to maintain
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.
    She says the Police are handling it and cites a fake Twitter account in support.
    I don't believe it is fake.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeCops/status/1276857563108331520?s=20
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Guido?
    I think Paul Staines owns the company that sources most of the ads for blogs in the U.K. Forget what it’s called.
    MessageSpace.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Got to laugh - that idiot Hannan thinks FDR caused the Depression...

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1277188128269373441?s=20
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Would faking a tweet count as “impersonating a police officer”?
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

Profitable, no doubt. However, this land pirate has obviously NOT invested any of his filthy lucre in a basic art appreciation course. What a palace of poop!
    Mafia Rococò - reminds me of a place I saw in St Lucia... The guy who owned that one was doing 25 in Club Fed. For the obvious.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited June 2020
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.
    Yes, I think he's got it wrong, and let her off the hook (Because she does have questions to answer)

But he's mixed up the fake tweets with some real tweets AND he's overdone the police angle, as williamglenn says she just got the wrong link, hardly a sacking ofence
    To me it looks like they have two twitter accounts, the Cambridge Police, and they quote each other so are both legit. This is the legit one quoting the alleged fake one.

https://twitter.com/CambsCops/status/1276863700050247683?s=20
  • Options

Although the fake account published very specific “statements”regarding her case. Effectively she was fraudulently impersonating the police
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    isam said:

LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

To me it looks like they have two twitter accounts, the Cambridge Police, and they quote each other so are both legit

What strange media management.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

Funnily enough last time I was in the US we had a gun aimed at us by a lady on her porch because we'd trespassed on her land. Hadn't done it on purpose, of course; we were walking a dog for friends and didn't realise we were on her land.

Scary thing about that kind of situation is that you're never entirely sure the idiot holding the gun isn't going to shoot.

This happened in upper NY State, near Lake Placid. Not exactly the wild west.
    I would guess traditional British-style political canvassing, knocking on doors , is absent from American elections?
  • Options

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

In many parts of the US you can buy palatial homes for the price of a Zone 1 flat.
    Well yes, if the local security situation is such that you are likely to find a protest march going across your front lawn any time and the only way you can feel safe is by arming yourself with heavy weaponry, property prices are likely to be a bit on the low side.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Guido?
    Ah right, thanks. Well, he's stopped bombarding me with ads for plus size bras and has moved on to pillows. Tbh I am not sure the targeting is that clever.

• Options
    edited June 2020

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Horrific

a coward.

Mafia Rococò - reminds me of a place I saw in St Lucia... The guy who owned that one was doing 25 in Club Fed. For the obvious.
    Someone just had the same thought as I did -

https://twitter.com/GlobalistWhore/status/1277451585900081153
  • Options

I'm not sure Roosevelt turned a recession into the Great Depression but his spending didn't actually help that much

https://fee.org/articles/fdrs-folly-how-roosevelt-and-his-new-deal-prolonged-the-great-depression/

The thing that got the US out of the Great Depression was WW II
  • Options
    MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Horrific

So all that talk about Biden and the Democrats making strides in the Catholic vote.....
    The tweeter is a gun-rights-advocating, Trump loving Republican, so maybe treat with caution.

But the bigger point is true, these protests are often very violent, increasingly so, and if a big march came through the gate of your house, and you were an obvious target - pink polo shirt wearing white billionaire - you can see why you might get a bit jumpy.

I agree with Charles. They got scared - and acted stupid.

• Options
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

Only one of them has a Blue Tick....
  • Options
    isam said:

LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

To me it looks like they have two twitter accounts, the Cambridge Police, and they quote each other so are both legit. This is the legit one quoting the alleged fake one.

https://twitter.com/CambsCops/status/1276863700050247683?s=20
    Can we please cancel everyone involved in that mess? Please?
  • Options
    Be very interesting to see how the Leicester lockdown will work. As I write above, you can get on a train at Leicester station and be standing at the bar in Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham, in 30 minutes. So you have pretty much every pub in central Nottingham within very easy reach. If young people had been planning a pub day on Saturday, what’s stopping them doing that? Are they going to prevent people getting on the train?

Be very interesting indeed to see how it works. It’s something of a testbed for the local lockdown model.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

I'm not sure Roosevelt turned a recession into the Great Depression but his spending didn't actually help that much

https://fee.org/articles/fdrs-folly-how-roosevelt-and-his-new-deal-prolonged-the-great-depression/

https://twitter.com/econbartleby/status/1277200745834647552?s=20
  • Options
    Incidentally I don't k ow if people saw the video of OAPs yelling at each other in Florida but the important thing about it was it wa

It is a point of faith amongst the Libertarian set that FDR caused the depression.

A simple examination of the time line as to when stimulus was applied and removed by FDR and the preceding administration would show that to be utter, utter bollocks but it is a matter of absolute truth for many on the economic right.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Did she explain why she's such a dope? Reminds me of the group (in Olympia, WA a few years ago) that barred White people from attending an anti-racism event.

You can explain away as long as you like, but when you run out of breath, you're still down the bottom of a deep, self-dug hole.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

This is odd:

https://twitter.com/cambscops - blue tick

https://twitter.com/CambridgeCops - no blue tick
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MrEd said:

LadyG said:

Charles said:

Horrific

The tweeter is a gun-rights-advocating, Trump loving Republican, so maybe treat with caution.

But the bigger point is true, these protests are often very violent, increasingly so, and if a big march came through the gate of your house, and you were an obvious target - pink polo shirt wearing white billionaire - you can see why you might get a bit jumpy.

I agree with Charles. They got scared - and acted stupid.

Oh, they were stupid but I think I would be slightly worried as well if a mob came through that looked as though it could easily cause damage.

At some point, Biden is going to have to take a stand on this and outright condemn - forcefully - the rioters.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

But the other one is also real.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

Govey, definitely not a power hungry fanatic that makes a bad situation worse.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Accounting.

Buy a yacht 50m. Borrow 25m against it at very low interest rates as it is very secure. Rinse and repeat

But I guess it depends which private bank your friend works at...
    More like - by the yacht on £50 million loan. Then it turns out the yacht was really £40 million. £5 million was to keep the life style rolling. £5 million probably went to the yacht broker who set the whole thing up, complete with inflated price....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    It is probably to spite Gary Lineker.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

This is odd:

https://twitter.com/cambscops - blue tick

https://twitter.com/CambridgeCops - no blue tick
    It's definitely real though - 8,000 followers and a history of very authentic tweets. No one could fake all that
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Alistair said:

I don't quite follow.

But the other one is also real.
    If its fake its quite a good job, there are pages of posts about new PCs being passed out, local crims being caught, missing dogs etc etc.

• Options

Be very interesting to see how the Leicester lockdown will work. As I write above, you can get on a train at Leicester station and be standing at the bar in Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham, in 30 minutes. So you have pretty much every pub in central Nottingham within very easy reach. If young people had been planning a pub day on Saturday, what’s stopping them doing that? Are they going to prevent people getting on the train?

Be very interesting indeed to see how it works. It’s something of a testbed for the local lockdown model.

Pubs showing Leicester play CP on Sky might be busy, but I suspect hard to find in Nottingham...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

ttps://twitter.com/nikkih_27/status/1277714589225046017?s=21
    https://twitter.com/1coys69/status/1277718737009946624?s=21

Surely if Leicester is locked down, the station will be shut and trains will pass through without stopping there?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

It is probably to spite Gary Lineker.

Which aspect of today's lunacy are your referring to? :smiley:
  • Options

MrEd said:

https://twitter.com/econbartleby/status/1277200745834647552?s=20
    1939 being when World War II started and the US both ramped up its own preparations and started supplying goods for the Allies and benefited from large military orders, before becoming directly involved in the war in 1941. Roosevelt died in 1945. I rest my case.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MrEd said:

Have you read Jim Grant's The Forgotten Depression? It makes an excellent case for why economies bounce back quicker without intervention, than with it.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Others may have already have pointed this out so apologies if that is the case.

But the ads you see have nothing to do with the PB website and everything to do with your own browsing history, location and preferences. I have been looking at sites for buying orchard stuff the last few days so all the ads I see are basically about tree protection and netting. If I were to spend a day looking at sites for archaeology supplies then the ads I would, see would start to reflect that. It is all about the cookies on your own computer, not anything Mike prefers on the site.
This discussion has been closed.