Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Paying the way

Comments

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,237
    isam said:
    Good to know - so what's your poison?
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

"cheque?"

Not over here - but got to go to Vancouver to cash one of those. Thank god for Webster's Dictionary, my spelling is bad enough as it is.

English is English and OED is the bible - suck it up.
    isam said:
    salad cream is white shit
    alterego said:

rcs1000 said:

Re infrastructure, it is one of the big black marks against Trump this time around. Simply, the pace of infrastructure spending has gone backwards in the US in the last four years. In real terms, America spends less than half it did in 1988 at the end of Reagan's term.

It's ironic, because this was probably an area where Trump could have gotten bipartisan support for doing stuff.

And incredible stealing opportunities, too. Weird how he dropped this one.
    Trump looks more and more incapable of holding the simplest of passes
    Think the Congressional GOP nixed it, the have ancestral hatred of wasting money on workers & public works as opposed to brokers & private enterprise.

alterego said:

rcs1000 said:

Re infrastructure, it is one of the big black marks against Trump this time around. Simply, the pace of infrastructure spending has gone backwards in the US in the last four years. In real terms, America spends less than half it did in 1988 at the end of Reagan's term.

It's ironic, because this was probably an area where Trump could have gotten bipartisan support for doing stuff.

Think the Congressional GOP nixed it, the have ancestral hatred of wasting money on workers & public works as opposed to brokers & private enterprise.
    slogans and slogans - nixed? Isn't he dead?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    edited June 2020
    LadyG said:

The NYT also says that we Brits have been

"cavorting in our hundred by streams"

Yes, that's what we do when it gets hot in Britain. Hundreds of us head for the nearest brook to cavort, and in Scotland they go to the burns to caper about.

Just yesterday I saw 700 Britons gambolling in a rill

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1277729319079550982?s=20
    Southern Britain?
    alterego said:

"cheque?"

Not over here - but got to go to Vancouver to cash one of those. Thank god for Webster's Dictionary, my spelling is bad enough as it is.

MUST we give you blokes yet another thrashing, as in 1781 and 1815? OR come over and steal yer women like in 1942-44? Push us tooooo far and we'll make you kipper-eaters swallow all those superfluous u's!
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    edited June 2020

isam said:
    I thought ketchup or curry sauce would be best, and I live on the borders of East London & Essex which are split between the two
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Mushy peas and gravy. And NOT in separate polystyrene tubs like it's some perverted Geordie fondue.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

rcs1000 said:

slogans and slogans - nixed? Isn't he dead?
    "nixed" - look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls!
    isam said:

isam said:
    I thought ketchup or curry sauce would be best, and I live on the borders of East London & Essex which are split between the two
    Think we may have finally found some common ground!

LadyG said:

The NYT also says that we Brits have been

"cavorting in our hundred by streams"

Yes, that's what we do when it gets hot in Britain. Hundreds of us head for the nearest brook to cavort, and in Scotland they go to the burns to caper about.

Just yesterday I saw 700 Britons gambolling in a rill

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1277729319079550982?s=20
    Southern Britain?
    For me g'sunder was always a po. But then I'm common.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Trump

I notice a previous thread regarding rumours of Trump being ill. The severe condition story got revived 2-3 weeks back and much of it was generated out of Republican circles. Apart from the well publicised & unplanned trip to Walter Reed back end of last year, there are rumours of others since. The weekend rumour emailed to Mike looks consistent with that earlier story though admittedly I haven't seen anything about this little cameo. Certainly if the reported condition turns out accurate, he is going to have ongoing problems.

I did say a few days ago that the stories about Trump are going to keep coming and coming. Near daily, they will be new and they will seep in. Officials within government & intelligence community (who do not buy into Trump at all) are going for him because they feel they can. There are too many who want to gut this man and they reckon they can break cover. The leaks are coming from the military and civilian mandarins direct, not just via politicians who cant help but pass on gossip.

The story regarding the Russian GRU paying the Taliban some cash as a bonus for killing American and our own soldiers in Afghanistan is not new. The Russians have had plenty of links there for years but it is explosive for Americans and Trump's defence line on the story looks to have broken already, after, what I assume, is the DIA sourced leak.

The results of the intelligence briefing on this issue to Republican representatives in Congress today was lead balloon for enough of them. Trump's reaction to the story is going to cause more damage. It is going to run.

There is more to come. The congressional GOP is in a bind, do they let him take them down or do they try to save the situation by getting Trump out in the hope of hanging on to the Senate. Some of them are probably praying Trump does get a severe enough point to get him out on ill health.

dixiedean said:

Mushy peas and gravy. And NOT in separate polystyrene tubs like it's some perverted Geordie fondue.

"perverted Geordie fondue" - know a few neighborhoods in Seattle where that should be a REAL popular. Perhaps you should consider coming over with a batch, renting a food truck, and testing the market.
    "The congressional GOP is in a bind, do they let him take them down or do they try to save the situation by getting Trump out in the hope of hanging on to the Senate. Some of them are probably praying Trump does get a severe enough point to get him out on ill health."

IF yours truly was Donald Trump, think I'd decline any diner invites from Mitch McConnell. Like cardinals used to duck invitations to dine with the Borgias.

alterego said:

"cheque?"

MUST we give you blokes yet another thrashing, as in 1781 and 1815? OR come over and steal yer women like in 1942-44? Push us tooooo far and we'll make you kipper-eaters swallow all those superfluous u's!
    You hand shandy Irish always havin' a laugh. Why don't you post in Gaelic?

dixiedean said:

"perverted Geordie fondue" - know a few neighborhoods in Seattle where that should be a REAL popular. Perhaps you should consider coming over with a batch, renting a food truck, and testing the market.
    Not right now thanks. COVID, riots and Yahoo's with semi-automatics...I'll chill in poverty thank you.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    HYUFD said:
    Starmer should be nervous of that sort of recommendation.
    dixiedean said:

I'm disappointed Dixie - it has to be salt and vinegar (malt)

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Or should he?

HYUFD said:
    Nigel knows how to put the boot in - I had to smile.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

That's "shanty" Irish, you toffish twit! (Did I leave out any u's?) As for me ancestral tongue, guv, sadly me bog Latin is not up to standard. Though I can give yez are hearty Hibernian greeting - póg mo thóin!
    Seems to have livened up when fish and chips was mentioned.

alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

That's "shanty" Irish, you toffish twit! (Did I leave out any u's?) As for me ancestral tongue, guv, sadly me bog Latin is not up to standard. Though I can give yez are hearty Hibernian greeting - póg mo thóin!
    ooooo - never been called a toff before
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Not right now thanks. COVID, riots and Yahoo's with semi-automatics...I'll chill in poverty thank you.
    Well, it's your call. BUT note that there a hungry bunch in one of the best location, which is in the CHOP. Actually, pork chops with mushy peas on the side sounds pretty good.

After the Creeping Crud has creeped away, stick out your thumb and come to Seattle, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Same goes for all PBers regardless of race, creed, politics or sanity.

Tell 'em SeaShanty told you to come - on second thought, DON'T.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

Would you prefer loony lumper? We aim to please!
    edited June 2020
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Oh. Yes if you're just having chips. Plenty of vinegar...Not too heavy on the salt...
    Ketchup is an offence for which one should be righteously doxxed and sacked. "Curry" sauce, a collection of abominable e numbers too.
    Mayonnaise is acceptable.
    Salad cream deserves a hefty jail sentence.
    No sauce is the only plausible reason for bringing back hanging.
    And as for cheese...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Why isn't that an option? That would be my choice too.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well, it's your call. BUT note that there a hungry bunch in one of the best location, which is in the CHOP. Actually, pork chops with mushy peas on the side sounds pretty good.

After the Creeping Crud has creeped away, stick out your thumb and come to Seattle, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Same goes for all PBers regardless of race, creed, politics or sanity.

Tell 'em SeaShanty told you to come - on second thought, DON'T.
    Hand Shandy that's totally unnecessary and not even in Gaelic.
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Oh. Yes if you're just having chips. Plenty of vinegar...Not too heavy on the salt...
    Ketchup is an offence for which one should be righteously doxxed and sacked. "Curry" sauce, a collection of abominable e numbers too.
    In my native homeland - West Virginia - the big question is, what to put hot dogs, the Mountain State equivalent to fish & chips in London or schnitzel in Vienna. Different parts of the state have their own distinct preferences; in my home town it was sauerkraut on your dog.

There's a West Virginia Hot Dog map on the web, but don't know how to post it here.
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

And as for cheese...
    You sound quite the aficionado, and a bit disciplinarian. I would simply prefer there to be guidance for those misguided souls who abominate a simple dish reliant on good quality product. That's my posh side talking.

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

In my native homeland - West Virginia - the big question is, what to put hot dogs, the Mountain State equivalent to fish & chips in London or schnitzel in Vienna. Different parts of the state have their own distinct preferences; in my home town it was sauerkraut on your dog.

There's a West Virginia Hot Dog map on the web, but don't know how to post it here.
    I though it was only Orientals who ate dogs. Nothing wrong with eating dogs if you're hungry.
    edited June 2020
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

And as for cheese...
    You sound quite the aficionado, and a bit disciplinarian. I would simply prefer there to be guidance for those misguided souls who abominate a simple dish reliant on good quality product. That's my posh side talking.
    I'm more motivated by chips than statues or real or perceived racism. Or Keynesian multipliers.
    SAD!!
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

I though it was only Orientals who ate dogs. Nothing wrong with eating dogs if you're hungry.
    OK, I give up! However, a serious piece of advice: best way to piss off an Asian person, at least Asian Americans, is by calling them "Orientals" as they REALLY hate that, on same par these days as calling a Black person "Colored". Just don't go there UNLESS you want to make a bad impression, 'cause is considered insulting even if you don't mean it to be.

alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

Never been called a lumper before. Presume you meant jumper but athleticism not my strong suit.
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

And as for cheese...
    I'm more motivated by chips than statues or real or perceived racism. Or Keynesian multipliers.
    SAD!!
    I had to Google Keynesian multipliers and I'm none the wiser. With you on the other stuff.
    Alterego, do you know that one way King George and Queen Elizabeth (late Queen Mother) won the hearts of the American public in June, 1939 (an extremely opportune moment) was by eating hot dogs at a picnic hosted by the Roosevelts at Hyde Park?

OK, HM & his missus used knives & forks to cut up their hot dogs, which is pretty weird. But they were foreigners, so American people people let it slide, and decided that K&Q were good people - something the Foreign Office & rest of British establishment has failed at abjectly for the previous two centuries.

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

OK, I give up! However, a serious piece of advice: best way to piss off an Asian person, at least Asian Americans, is by calling them "Orientals" as they REALLY hate that, on same par these days as calling a Black person "Colored". Just don't go there UNLESS you want to make a bad impression, 'cause is considered insulting even if you don't mean it to be.
    Here in the home of English, "Oriental" is not a dirty word

https://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/

I hope your Gaelic is better than your English,
    alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

Never been called a lumper before. Presume you meant jumper but athleticism not my strong suit.
    Thought a jumper was a sweater. IF you call a sweater a jumper in US, nobody knows what your talking about. And visa versa.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

You could try out "oriental" out next time you visit any Chinatown from Boston to Seattle. But would NOT advise it unless you have an advanced degree in martial arts.

Alterego, do you know that one way King George and Queen Elizabeth (late Queen Mother) won the hearts of the American public in June, 1939 (an extremely opportune moment) was by eating hot dogs at a picnic hosted by the Roosevelts at Hyde Park?

OK, HM & his missus used knives & forks to cut up their hot dogs, which is pretty weird. But they were foreigners, so American people people let it slide, and decided that K&Q were good people - something the Foreign Office & rest of British establishment has failed at abjectly for the previous two centuries.

Not sure about your logic but I take my hat of to their Royal Highnesses if they ate canines in order not to offend the locals.
    This is fun tonight
    alterego said:

Not sure about your logic but I take my hat of to their Royal Highnesses if they ate canines in order not to offend the locals.
    One of the best ways to make a good impression in a foreign land, is by eating whatever is put on your plate. Then politely asking for seconds.

Read about an English explorer who adopted this policy. "Thank you for the candied sheep's balls - may I have another?" Went from Constantinople to Kandahar that way not only without undue difficulty - they asked him to stop by on his way back.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

You could try out "oriental" out next time you visit any Chinatown from Boston to Seattle. But would NOT advise it unless you have an advanced degree in martial arts.
    SOAS must fall.

alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

"cheque?"

Thought a jumper was a sweater. IF you call a sweater a jumper in US, nobody knows what your talking about. And visa versa.
    A jumper is a jumper and the meaning depends upon context. I appreciate that can be quite difficult but that's English for you. You have to be English to fully comprehend it. Incidentally, it's "you're".

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    Would be interesting to see how British Asians feel about the name; does anyone here know?

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    That'll be lost
    "Incidentally, it's "you're""

I stand corrected, lumpy. And you:re (see I'm learning) right, it is fun here tonight

alterego said:

One of the best ways to make a good impression in a foreign land, is by eating whatever is put on your plate. Then politely asking for seconds.

Read about an English explorer who adopted this policy. "Thank you for the candied sheep's balls - may I have another?" Went from Constantinople to Kandahar that way not only without undue difficulty - they asked him to stop by on his way back.
    WTF?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

https://twitter.com/thejtlewis/status/1277646054582861825

This guy is dangerously dumb - and worryingly close to office.

The mayor of Leicester said the same thing today.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

WTF?
    The idea is that you show respect for the people by enjoying - or at least swallowing - their food. IF somebody's wife or granny takes the time & effort to give you a meal, then when you eat it with some semblance of appreciation, folks will think you're must be alright.

Have used this strategy in exotic locales such as Bloomsbury and Greenwich when confronted with blood pudding & extra-fatty bacon. Not my cup of tea, really (neither is tea) but I shoved it down like a man. Did NOT ask for seconds, but then I didn't have to travel though bandit country (except via the tube).

Folks may have thought me weird (wonder why?) but they didn't think I was an ass hole - excuse me, arsehole.
    Speaking of infrastructure, wouldn't a pneumatic tube from London to Edinburgh be a great project? Board the pod at St Pancreas (sp?) then - POOOOF! - half an hour later you're debarking at Waverley Station. A wee bit groggy, perhaps, but with precious hours saved.

Not only would construction & operation create jobs, but improved transportation between the two capitals might bind the English & Scots closer together. Or would that be further apart? Certainly worth the investment to find out!

AND if my brilliant concept becomes reality, then yet another Long Tube from Paddington to Penzance (or Polperro?) Yes, the GWT could be just the ticket for damping down the appeal and consequent dangers of extreme Cornish Naionalism as expoused by Kernew-istas bent on their dream of a Greater East COrnwall Co-Prosperity Sphere extending from Lostwithiel to the Shepard Bush Roundabout.

POOOF!
    BTW, what is "poof" in Cornish? I'm guessing it's "fpoofp" or somesuch?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    Would be interesting to see how British Asians feel about the name; does anyone here know?
    And by Asian you mean people from the Indian subcontinent, or not? That would be the standard usage in Britain.

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    And by Asian you mean people from the Indian subcontinent, or not? That would be the standard usage in Britain.
    In US when you say some is Asian, most will assume they are East or Southeast Asian. For South Asians, tend to say Indian or Pakistani or etc., or Indo-Asian to distinguish from American Indians, who often prefer being called Native Americans.

Though note that the two leading Native American media are monthly "News from Indian Country" and digital "Indian Country Today" (think because phrase Indian Country is so evocative AND is what our Indian Reservations (official federal & state terminology) are called collectively.

As for Iranians, Arabs, Turks, Central Asians and Siberians, we usually don't think of or call them Asians, despite fact that geographically they obviously are just that.
    Pension superfunds - was that similar to superannuation proposal that Richard Crossman tried to get enacted during Harold Wilson's first Labour government?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Yokes said:

The story regarding the Russian GRU paying the Taliban some cash as a bonus for killing American and our own soldiers in Afghanistan is not new. The Russians have had plenty of links there for years but it is explosive for Americans and Trump's defence line on the story looks to have broken already, after, what I assume, is the DIA sourced leak.

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1277785379404492800

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1277722138942865408
    That's our Trumpsky - Putin's polecat.

Can hear the laughter from the Kremlin ringing in my ears. As for the White House, quite a load to shovel off the front steps. The shit's piled up from about eight miles high and you can smell it all over the world.

Reminiscent of Iran-Contra Affair. Except that most American's liked and/or respected Ronald Reagan. Trumpsky? Not so much.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    I would never use the word Asian of an Indian. It would seem to me geographically and linguistically odd. I've never thought of an Indian as Asian.

Re. the SOAS remark, Edward Said's brilliant 1978 book 'Orientalism' really pre-empted much of the current debate. Said was highly critical of the western use of terms that sought to confine and therefore subjugate vast swathes of often entirely disparate peoples. Thus, Orientalism applies as much to "Africa" as it does to "the Orient."
    Are roadblocks going to be set up in Leicester?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Right, to bed, having reminded myself what a total fecking hero FDR was.

Where is our FDR when we need one?

I used to think that.

But having read a recent biography of Marshall it was interesting how he made life very difficult for the US military so he could secure “victories” to boost his political popularity.

And what a scheming backstabber he was
    I don’t know if she’s just an idiot or congenitally to r deaf but she comes across as if she’s happy that Covid cases are spiking
    Charles said:

I don’t know if she’s just an idiot or congenitally to r deaf but she comes across as if she’s happy that Covid cases are spiking
    I can't believe she's making the same mistake she made in 2016 when she implied 25% of voters were idiots just before a close election.
    alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Actually it is. East Asian is the term these days

SOAS regularly gets criticised for using the term
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    alterego said:

Not sure about your logic but I take my hat of to their Royal Highnesses
    Majesties...

alterego said:

Not sure about your logic but I take my hat of to their Royal Highnesses
    Majesties...
    Bless you
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,717
    Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

I thought we'd always been at war with Eastasia?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Charles said:

I don't think the two are exclusive.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Isn’t the fundamental issue that all terms used to group together ethnic minority groups eventually become discredited because any generalised grouping inevitably fails to nuance different circumstances within it right down to the individual level. Of course the problem isn’t the words, but the concept of generalising. So the cycle repeats ad infinitum, but keeps a lot of people in jobs arguing about it.
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Isn’t the fundamental issue that all terms used to group together ethnic minority groups eventually become discredited because any generalised grouping inevitably fails to nuance different circumstances within it right down to the individual level. Of course the problem isn’t the words, but the concept of generalising. So the cycle repeats ad infinitum, but keeps a lot of people in jobs arguing about it.
    Which is part of Said's point. And in that process of generalising, categorising, we thereby subjugate.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,063
    edited June 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, for the last week there have been 4 mobile testing stations in East Leicester, population 327 000 last census. That is pretty intensive testing, and perhaps partly explains the increase in numbers with no increase in admissions.

It does seem strange to have all that testing and not pass on information on postcodes to Leicester Public Health, or record ethnicity.
    This appears to be the lockdown map:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, for the last week there have been 4 mobile testing stations in East Leicester, population 327 000 last census. That is pretty intensive testing, and perhaps partly explains the increase in numbers with no increase in admissions.

It does seem strange to have all that testing and not pass on information on postcodes to Leicester Public Health, or record ethnicity.
    It emphasises the fact, too, that there's a big range of 'severity'. From sore-ish throat plus abnormal fatigue to the body being totally shut down.
    And the 'mildly unwell' are just as capable of transmitting the virus as those 'obviously ill'.

And of course I agree that there's no point in having a local structure, with local knowledge and contacts and not using it. Centralised England at it's worst.
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

To an extent, although it depends on usage. For example a clear geographic category (“European” or “African”) is fine. It’s where there is an artificial grouping that is believed to be imposed from outside.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Hancock said there were significantly higher levels of hospital admissions vs other parts of the country
    I'm not going to reproduce the map again; takes up too much space, but, while I don't know much about Leicester. from it there appear to be three or four communities which are effectively Greater Leicester, and I would have thought had populations which either worked or shopped (at least) in the city, which are not included.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Got to laugh - that idiot Hannan thinks FDR caused the Depression...

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1277188128269373441?s=20

It’s been a long time since I read the economic analysis but there is an argument that some of his early moves extended the recession & that recovery didn’t really come until the war ramp up
    Trying to blame stuff on FDR whilst ignoring all the insane shit that Hoover and the associated Congress did would be the most myopic analysis of all time.

The stunning acts of self sabotage during Hoovers admin are the root of the issue.
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    10% of Leicester tests are coming back positive according to Tom Newton Dunn on Times Radio just now.
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

To an extent, although it depends on usage. For example a clear geographic category (“European” or “African”) is fine. It’s where there is an artificial grouping that is believed to be imposed from outside.
    A classic piece of colonialism from Charles there, surprise surprise.

The term 'African' is NOT fine: linguistically, geographically, ethnically, historically.

Pan-Africanism may have a role to play but it needs to be very carefully tempered, not airily dismissed by a white man as 'fine.'
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Doesn’t that just reinforce the point? There’s plenty of crass, broad generalisations made about “Africans” or “Europeans”. It is only their status as geographic facts that prevents them from being removed from the language as “offensive”. The offence of the generalisation remains.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    And Scottish subsamples. This post breaks all the cardinal rules of PB.
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

Doesn’t that just reinforce the point? There’s plenty of crass, broad generalisations made about “Africans” or “Europeans”. It is only their status as geographic facts that prevents them from being removed from the language as “offensive”. The offence of the generalisation remains.
    I don't mind being called European.
    Incidentally, Professor Ali Mazrui made a case for suggesting that if you're going to include the Sahara northwards including Egypt in 'Africa' then you shouldn't stop at the Red Sea. Saudi should be in Africa.

He was possibly being playful but also illustrating the absurdity of it.

The Sahara marks a very clear boundary but even then the various peoples of Ghana have little in common with the Maasai in Kenya or Batendi in DRC. They only seem to because white people, especially men, think they all look black and are therefore alike.

The rivers of racism run deep.
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Hancock said there were significantly higher levels of hospital admissions vs other parts of the country
    Not a rise though. I see the hospital figures several times a week. Indeed I have posted them here. 75 current inpatients at midnight on Sunday.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Not a rise though. I see the hospital figures several times a week. Indeed I have posted them here. 75 current inpatients at midnight on Sunday.
    The lack of a fall may be just as concerning.
    An interesting point about generalisation is the BAME-COVID link. Lots of people saying that we should take extra precautions where this categorised group is concerned. But if, and it remains an if, the links are all circumstantial, rather than genetic, then this is nonsense. Any individual, looked at in isolation, may need to take no greater or lesser precautions than any other group. I accept that perhaps the precautionary principle applies.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Does it need to be a rise to justify extending lockdown?

Considering the rest of the country is lifting lockdown due to a fall in cases, if Leicester are simply not falling fast enough wouldn't that also justify it?
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

How many last Sunday, taking Mr tlg86's point.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

well, only if you try really hard to make it an offence.

wouldn't it be more sane to go 'its a generalisation, I know that, you know that. It has its uses but it also has its weaknesses and if you can be more specific, try to be"? Maybe?

Alistair said:

Charles said:

Got to laugh - that idiot Hannan thinks FDR caused the Depression...

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1277188128269373441?s=20

It’s been a long time since I read the economic analysis but there is an argument that some of his early moves extended the recession & that recovery didn’t really come until the war ramp up
    Trying to blame stuff on FDR whilst ignoring all the insane shit that Hoover and the associated Congress did would be the most myopic analysis of all time.

The stunning acts of self sabotage during Hoovers admin are the root of the issue.
    Hoover was not a good President

That said FDR‘s refusal to collaborate during transition was unhelpful to say the least.

He was a politician just like any other. Some good, some bad
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

SOAS must fall.
    NEW WORD FOR THE BANNED LIST

:oO

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

A classic piece of colonialism from Charles there, surprise surprise.

The term 'African' is NOT fine: linguistically, geographically, ethnically, historically.

Pan-Africanism may have a role to play but it needs to be very carefully tempered, not airily dismissed by a white man as 'fine.'
    Nothing colonial about it.

I think about the term “African” in the same way I think about “european” or “the Americas”

An African is someone from the continent of Africa. A simple description. I’d usually try to be more specific (eg Nigerian or Kenyan) but you can’t always be so.

Don’t seek offence.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081
    alex_ said:

An interesting point about generalisation is the BAME-COVID link. Lots of people saying that we should take extra precautions where this categorised group is concerned. But if, and it remains an if, the links are all circumstantial, rather than genetic, then this is nonsense. Any individual, looked at in isolation, may need to take no greater or lesser precautions than any other group. I accept that perhaps the precautionary principle applies.

It seems to be a combination of environmental differences (mostly living in cities, etc.), lifestyle differences (larger and extended families, greater religiosity, diet and obesity) with a ? over any inherent difference now that the Vitamin D hypothesis has taken a knock. You might be right for someone living in relative islolation in the countryside with good health and diet. Conversely if you are white and overweight, living in a city with a hobby like choral singing then it would pay to take some extra care.
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Charles said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That’s where we disagree.

A categorisation without a geographic basis can be offensive (eg “Oriental”). A geographic description is just that - it’s stating where people come from but not trying to amalgamate them in any other way. Personally I would have thought the term “British Black” (which I haven’t seen recently, but was popular a few years ago) is *more* offensive as the implication is that your colour is more important than anything else.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

Incidentally, Professor Ali Mazrui made a case for suggesting that if you're going to include the Sahara northwards including Egypt in 'Africa' then you shouldn't stop at the Red Sea. Saudi should be in Africa.

The Sahara marks a very clear boundary but even then the various peoples of Ghana have little in common with the Maasai in Kenya or Batendi in DRC. They only seem to because white people, especially men, think they all look black and are therefore alike.

It is said there is more genetic variation amongst the peoples of Africa than anywhere else. That said, if we limit ourselves to the classic three (or four) human races then of course these are broad by definition, but not, surely, the cause of (or even a river of) racism.

I usually operate on the basis of MENA and SSA, but you can split SSA into RSA/EA/WA if you like. Although I’m not sure how you’d describe the bit in the middle with that classification. I’ve never spent time there so not thought about it
This discussion has been closed.