Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Starmer is not going to let go of the issue of Johnson not

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Starmer is not going to let go of the issue of Johnson not acting quickly enough on COVID19

One of the great sources of analysis during the pandemic has been on Radio 4’s “More of Less” programme which each week subjects big issues in the news to statistical analysis. It has just finished its current series and its last programme was basically a summation of how the pandemic evolved. It is well worth listening to here .

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,204
    First like Liverpool.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    edited July 2020
    Third like Lando Norris
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    eek said:

My concern with any poll like this is that the answers would be the same even if the Government had done everything absolutely perfectly

Why?
    On topic, a massive amount of hindsight there. Polls at the time of the lockdown were opposed to it.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fifth like the fourth Champions League qualifier.
    "Why Starmer is not going to let go ..."

... is because Starmer is a politician seeking partisan advantage. That's life, that's politics. Doesn't mean Starmer was calling for anything different at the time, would have done anything different, but he can be a partisan hack seeking partisan advantage with hindsight.

Such is life as an opposition leader.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

... is because Starmer is a politician seeking partisan advantage. That's life, that's politics. Doesn't mean Starmer was calling for anything different at the time, would have done anything different, but he can be a partisan hack seeking partisan advantage with hindsight.

He wasn't opposition leader at the time.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,283
    Why the Leave/Remain question. Has nothing to do with it.

I certainly don't think of Coronavirus in those terms, and don't know anyone who does. Bit tendentious, isn't it?

Fwiw, you have to say the Government was too slow but you also have to say that hindsight is a wonderful thing and that many others read it wrong initially too. Not sure this particular survey amounts to much.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    There is some rewriting of history going on.

I personally think that the various lockdown steps were a few days later than they could have been, because of political inertia.

I think arguing more than that would have required different science input, which is a much different argument.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,605
    Sandpit said:

On topic, a massive amount of hindsight there. Polls at the time of the lockdown were opposed to it.

As a general critic of the government I concur. People's memories of what happened in March are all over the place and not in line with reality. We locked down about the median time compared to other countries, with an informal lockdown a week earlier than that. Perfectly reasonable, and there is also the suggestion that our scientists were more reluctant than the govt to move into a formal lockdown, although hard to trust that until we get the public inquiry and details from all sides.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    DavidL said:

I think Sturgeon did well in the early days of the Covid crisis but the position in Scotland is now a joke. Yesterday I went to Tesco's, sans mask as usual. About 80% of people were the same. This is perfectly legal and apparently safe, at least until the 10th when it becomes illegal. Quite, quite bizarre.

I cannot go to the pub in Scotland or a restaurant or have my hair cut until the 15th. Why not? Well, just because. It's not because we have a higher infection rate, in fact we seem to have a lower R rate. It's just to be different.

At the moment I can go to a shop which has an external door but not to shops in shopping centres.

I won't even try to describe the rules about how many households I am allowed to have in or visit, whether it is inside or outside, whether I have to stay 2m apart or not because everyone has long since lost interest and does their own thing.

I am genuinely unclear why we still have the 2m rule in Scotland and whether there are any plans to change this to the 1m+ Its also completely ignored once you are in supermarkets or on the street but it must be a nightmare for pubs and restaurants who are contemplating opening.

I live in hope that this plain incompetence, stupidity and economic vandalism will start to be reflected in the polling. We shall see.

Unfortunately, David, I don't see how. As I explained yesterday and was amply demonstrated by our nats, any criticism of Nicola is painted as being anti-Scotland. It doesn't matter that she's been absolutely crap the compliant media and sycophants will equate criticism of Nicola to criticism of Scotland and shut down the conversation.

I know you're a unionist to the core, but I think Scotland won't have any semblance of good governance until it becomes independent. People like Malc who would never consider the SNP because of their terrible governance and economic record have no other place to go which keeps them in power. For 40% of Scotland independence is the overriding policy of the day, which means the SNP will have their hands on the levers of power indefinitely. Even if there is a second referendum which is lost, there won't be any swingback to unionist parties. The core 40% will never give up now that they see it as inevitable.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Just imagine how much stronger he'd look if he had been and had called for lockdown at the start of March. Labour would be well clear in the polls had that happened.

No but he was a politician and speaking to the media regularly as he was taking part in the leadership contest. He had plenty of opportunity to call for a lockdown if he'd wanted to do so.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,825

I certainly don't think of Coronavirus in those terms, and don't know anyone who does. Bit tendentious, isn't it?

No, it's a central issue.

The state diverted itself with, and into, Brexit, a project that sucked up its energies and crowded out its capacity to think clearly and act promptly. (The National Audit ­Office calculated that by March 2020, when the crucial decisions on the pandemic had to be made, there were 27,500 civil servants working on Brexit.) And in the pursuit of that project, the government ­developed a habit of making sweeping assumptions before weighing up evidence or thinking about consequences.

In retrospect, it is telling that Johnson first mentioned the virus in public as an aside in a grandiose speech celebrating Brexit. He was speaking in Greenwich, London, on 3 February. The venue was chosen for its historic resonances: his theme was that the maritime greatness that enabled the creation of a mercantilist empire in the 18th century was about to be reborn. This was the vision of what ­Johnson had previously called the new Golden Age, the Global ­Britain that will replace half a century of EU membership.

What is striking here is that Brexit is not a distraction from the emerging pandemic. It is the other way around: Johnson was worried that the coronavirus might take attention away from the thrilling prospect of a liberated Britain, shrugging off its boring, bespectacled Euro-normality, reassuming its native-born superpowers and saving the world. (Johnson’s Superman analogy does work in one respect: the coronavirus would be the Kryptonite of this triumphal moment, the mysterious, other-worldly substance that would render the Brexit state impotent.)

https://www.newstatesman.com/2020/07/fatal-delusions-boris-johnson
  • isamisam Posts: 40,875
    edited July 2020
    Starmer is still trying to explain his BLM views. He is checking into the re education centre after his racist gaffe

https://twitter.com/lbcnews/status/1280054320109584387?s=21
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I think Sturgeon did well in the early days of the Covid crisis but the position in Scotland is now a joke. Yesterday I went to Tesco's, sans mask as usual. About 80% of people were the same. This is perfectly legal and apparently safe, at least until the 10th when it becomes illegal. Quite, quite bizarre.

I cannot go to the pub in Scotland or a restaurant or have my hair cut until the 15th. Why not? Well, just because. It's not because we have a higher infection rate, in fact we seem to have a lower R rate. It's just to be different.

At the moment I can go to a shop which has an external door but not to shops in shopping centres.

I won't even try to describe the rules about how many households I am allowed to have in or visit, whether it is inside or outside, whether I have to stay 2m apart or not because everyone has long since lost interest and does their own thing.

I am genuinely unclear why we still have the 2m rule in Scotland and whether there are any plans to change this to the 1m+ Its also completely ignored once you are in supermarkets or on the street but it must be a nightmare for pubs and restaurants who are contemplating opening.

I live in hope that this plain incompetence, stupidity and economic vandalism will start to be reflected in the polling. We shall see.

Unfortunately, David, I don't see how. As I explained yesterday and was amply demonstrated by our nats, any criticism of Nicola is painted as being anti-Scotland. It doesn't matter that she's been absolutely crap the compliant media and sycophants will equate criticism of Nicola to criticism of Scotland and shut down the conversation.

I know you're a unionist to the core, but I think Scotland won't have any semblance of good governance until it becomes independent. People like Malc who would never consider the SNP because of their terrible governance and economic record have no other place to go which keeps them in power. For 40% of Scotland independence is the overriding policy of the day, which means the SNP will have their hands on the levers of power indefinitely. Even if there is a second referendum which is lost, there won't be any swingback to unionist parties. The core 40% will never give up now that they see it as inevitable.
    I agree 100% and that is why I support Scottish independence.

It is the only way they're going to neuter this issue and get good governance. There will not be good governance of Scotland until this issue is resolved and David knows that he's just not willing to make the jump from accepting that point to the only way realistically this can end.

Which means Scotland is being condemned to a purgatory of bad governance.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    Objectively, the Government did not 'act fast enough to prevent the spread of Corona virus'. That should be a given.
    But a 'No' response to that question does not imply that the respondent does not support the government in general or even on this matter. He or she would have to consider whether any alternative government would have been any better.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    isam said:

Keir is booking into the re education centre after his racist gaffe

Same old labour.

No but he was a politician and speaking to the media regularly as he was taking part in the leadership contest. He had plenty of opportunity to call for a lockdown if he'd wanted to do so.
    It would have been wrong for him to do so, even if he thought he was right. It was a time for people to be united behind the govt and the govt to follow the scientists.

It would have been wrong for him to do so, even if he thought he was right. It was a time for people to be united behind the govt and the govt to follow the scientists.
    Absolutely it was. And hindsight doesn't change that.

But that won't stop Starmer from pretending now he would have done otherwise even though he never said anything at the time and he would have followed the scientists too.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    Here was both the scientific and political thinking back in early March

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1237760980450451456

No wonder we went through one of the worst spikes in the world.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Furlough still distorts opinion.

The view of lockdown may change when it is seen to have destroyed the jobs of many permanently.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The fact of the matter is that the government is going to cop the blame for both the economic and public health catastrophe, irrespective of the degree to which any blame should attach to them. Partly this is because they have blundered and dithered on multiple fronts, partly because of Cummings, partly because of the relentless months-long negativity from the media and especially the BBC even on the aspects which the government got right, and partly simply because they happened to be in office when the disaster hit. It hasn't helped that their political messaging has been chaotic, and Boris' media style has often been flippant and hubristic.

Starmer doesn't really need to do very much to reap the political benefits of all this, but what he is doing seems well-calibrated. He's even come up with some rather good lines, such as this morning's one on track-and-trace: "Nobody needs a world-beating system, we just need one that works."
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,283
    Scott_xP said:

The state diverted itself with, and into, Brexit, a project that sucked up its energies and crowded out its capacity to think clearly and act promptly. (The National Audit ­Office calculated that by March 2020, when the crucial decisions on the pandemic had to be made, there were 27,500 civil servants working on Brexit.) And in the pursuit of that project, the government ­developed a habit of making sweeping assumptions before weighing up evidence or thinking about consequences.

In retrospect, it is telling that Johnson first mentioned the virus in public as an aside in a grandiose speech celebrating Brexit. He was speaking in Greenwich, London, on 3 February. The venue was chosen for its historic resonances: his theme was that the maritime greatness that enabled the creation of a mercantilist empire in the 18th century was about to be reborn. This was the vision of what ­Johnson had previously called the new Golden Age, the Global ­Britain that will replace half a century of EU membership.

What is striking here is that Brexit is not a distraction from the emerging pandemic. It is the other way around: Johnson was worried that the coronavirus might take attention away from the thrilling prospect of a liberated Britain, shrugging off its boring, bespectacled Euro-normality, reassuming its native-born superpowers and saving the world. (Johnson’s Superman analogy does work in one respect: the coronavirus would be the Kryptonite of this triumphal moment, the mysterious, other-worldly substance that would render the Brexit state impotent.)

Yes, Brexit affects everything but I don't see the virus as a Brexit issue itself.
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, the medical and scientific advice has been atrocious all the way through this crisis. None of the advisory team has covered themselves in glory.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,043
    Sandpit said:

That's why it's a bad idea having a government that is more interested in public opinion and spin than in science and decisive action. It was obvious at the time to anyone with even a passing knowledge of events in China, Italy and Spain that the government was acting about two weeks too late.

He's even come up with some rather good lines, such as this morning's one on track-and-trace: "Nobody needs a world-beating system, we just need one that works."

It's a coordinated message, on both sides

https://twitter.com/Alison_McGovern/status/1280044551600734208

Tories can't stop saying it. Labour will carry on bashing them for it. And others have noticed

who needs ventilation when you can have hyperventilation? It could never be right for Britain to copy, for example, Germany’s highly successful tracking and tracing system. Britain’s had to be, as ­Johnson prematurely ejaculated, “truly world-beating”. Saving lives is not a common human task – it is a competition in which Team Britain must take the gold.

Britain’s global greatness and Britons’ “freedom-loving instincts” melded in the fiasco of the unique, all-English tracing app. Not only would the red-white-and-blue app save hundreds of thousands of lives, it would, as the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, claimed, be crucial in getting “our liberty back”. The app had to be uniquely British because it must serve as a cypher for the great project of national liberation. And in a way, by not coming into existence at all, it did.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180

But that won't stop Starmer from pretending now he would have done otherwise even though he never said anything at the time and he would have followed the scientists too.
    Same argument with the Iraq War. The government has more information than the opposition and therefore the opposition really has no choice, in such matters - ie in rare crises - other than to follow the government.

Sandpit said:

That's why it's a bad idea having a government that is more interested in public opinion and spin than in science and decisive action. It was obvious at the time to anyone with even a passing knowledge of events in China, Italy and Spain that the government was acting about two weeks too late.
    Not anyone.

I thought it was hysteria just like Sars and prior pandemics. Nine times out of ten a lockdown would have been a gross overreaction and done more harm than good.

Yes, Brexit affects everything but I don't see the virus as a Brexit issue itself.

But BoZo did. That's the point.

His first mention of it in public was in a Brexit speech, where he thought the virus might be a distraction.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

There is some rewriting of history going on.

I personally think that the various lockdown steps were a few days later than they could have been, because of political inertia.

I think arguing more than that would have required different science input, which is a much different argument.

His big announcement where he announced that they might make an announcement later and everything should carry on as normal for now should have been a career ender.

TOPPING said:

Same argument with the Iraq War. The government has more information than the opposition and therefore the opposition really has no choice, in such matters - ie in rare crises - other than to follow the government.
    Agreed. But that doesn't stop the opposition from being entitled to score partisan points afterwards.

But people shouldn't pretend that is anything other than partisan politics. We all know it is.
    Very well written DavidL.

Even though I support Scottish independence I agree wholeheartedly with the thrust of your logic and what you've written there, especially points 1-3.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,228
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

It won't end with Scottish independence.

Most Scottish nationalism is driven by an inferiority complex and deep-seated resentment toward England. Therefore, any problems Scotland faces as an independent country (there will be many) will be blamed on England.

This is why most secure Scots support the Union, as indeed do the vast majority of the Welsh - they are comfortable with their cultural identity as it is.

An independent Scotland will probably join the EU and Euro in short-order, and then do it's best to agitate against rUK foreign policy, which will compromise the defence of these islands, and harden-up a border at Berwick by pursuing a different immigration policy as well as through using a different currency.

It will ruin the UK single market.

Scotland actually has the best of both worlds now, but too many up there are too committed to see it. But, once it's left, there really is no way back.

It's not like re-joining the EU. There's no process. So it will be irrevocable.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, the medical and scientific advice has been atrocious all the way through this crisis. None of the advisory team has covered themselves in glory.
    Yes, but the governmentS should have asked the difficult questions “why are they doing things differently in countries X Y and Z?” rather than go “oh, ok then, if that’s “the science”. Thatcher, for one would have been all over this.

Sandpit said:

At the time, it appears that it was the politicians who forced the lockdown, with the scientists still a few days behind in their thinking.

Hopefully the scientists, being scientists, are now reviewing all the data and decision-making from February and March, to ensure that we have a better idea of how to cope with any resurgence.

Government should also get their own enquiry up and running quickly, so that the various public bodies are better prepared for any second wave.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    edited July 2020
    TOPPING said:

Somehow Jeremy Hunt and Rory Stewart could see how badly the government were fucking it up at the time, not to mention basically any sentient person who was paying attention to how other countries were handling it and understood that East Asia wasn't this one enormous authoritarian dictatorship.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,043

Sandpit said:

Not anyone.

I thought it was hysteria just like Sars and prior pandemics. Nine times out of ten a lockdown would have been a gross overreaction and done more harm than good.
    I had been following events elsewhere closely. I started WFH a week before the official lockdown and would have started at least a week before that if work had been amenable. I don't totally blame the government because I think a lot of the advice they received was bad too, but it's normal for governments to get blamed for bad stuff that happens on their watch and they have benefited from that when it was the other way round so can't complain now. When you have a PM who takes nothing seriously except his own career it doesn't help.

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, but the governmentS should have asked the difficult questions “why are they doing things differently in countries X Y and Z?” rather than go “oh, ok then, if that’s “the science”. Thatcher, for one would have been all over this.
    The government did ask those questions though.

The scientists did answer them.
    DavidL said:

FPT

I am British and proud of it. I would always describe myself as British unless I was speaking to fellow Brits from another part of the UK in which case I am Scottish. I have no problem with this duality.

What am I proud of? Well, I think the UK has been a force for good in the world many times in its history and still is. I am proud that we are the second largest aid donor in the world; that we have so many magnificent Universities; that we are tolerant as a nation of both race and sexual orientation; that we have a very deep rooted sense of fair play and try to do the right thing.

Of course there are episodes in our history that are shameful, we don't always live up to our principles and we still have minorities of bigots. But when we get things wrong we angst about it, we try to do better and we learn from our mistakes.

I will therefore always be against Scottish independence. I would be diminished as a part of a country that would count for so little in world affairs, whose views were of no consequence and which would frankly be more parochial and inward looking.

As an activist in Better Together I was deeply frustrated by the negative line taken by the likes of Darling. The economic arguments against independence are of course compelling but a transactional view of the Union is one that is ultimately doomed to failure in my view. At some point, if that is all there is, Scots will think that the considerable price to be paid is worth it and that is their right. Unionists need to make the positive case for the Union and for me that has certain implications.

First, if the Scottish people clearly and conclusively say they want a referendum on independence they get it. At the moment there is a Nationalist majority in Holyrood but it was not elected on the basis that they would have a referendum. There were 3 conditions, none of which looked like they were going to be met in that Parliament. An SNP manifesto committed to a second referendum in the next Parliament which gets a majority is a different matter and needs to be respected.

Second, the Scottish people, like a sex partner, are entitled to change their mind at any point and are not bound by the once in a generation commitment. Of course such referenda are economically ruinous doing great damage to our tax base and paralysing domestic politics where there is so much to sort but that is the prerogative of a sovereign people. If they vote for it (and they should consider that vote very carefully) they are entitled to get it.

Third, the proposition that Boris can use his English majority to stop such a thing is simply unacceptable. This is a Union, not a dominion. I cannot think of anything that would be more fatal to the Union than such a stance.

A second referendum is sadly inevitable but the result is very much up for grabs. I will campaign again to keep my country. That country, if it lives up to its principles, will not stand in the way if that is what Scots choose.

Well said.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,351

TOPPING said:

Agreed. But that doesn't stop the opposition from being entitled to score partisan points afterwards.

But people shouldn't pretend that is anything other than partisan politics. We all know it is.
    True, the government has to take responsibility. The opposition gets to criticise without taking the tough decisions.

Of course, the same applied in the GFC, the fact that Conservative spending plans publicly matched Labour's in the run-up did not stop them, to great effect, claiming that Labour's profligacy was to blame. That's politics.

Would Starmer have acted differently? Who knows, maybe in possession of all the advice he would have moved a little sooner, maybe not. Only Stewart and (maybe - do I recall some comments from him?) Hunt were publicly calling for faster action at the time.

The fact of the matter is that the government is going to cop the blame for both the economic and public health catastrophe, irrespective of the degree to which any blame should attach to them. Partly this is because they have blundered and dithered on multiple fronts, partly because of Cummings, partly because of the relentless months-long negativity from the media and especially the BBC even on the aspects which the government got right, and partly simply because they happened to be in office when the disaster hit. It hasn't helped that their political messaging has been chaotic, and Boris' media style has often been flippant and hubristic.

Starmer doesn't really need to do very much to reap the political benefits of all this, but what he is doing seems well-calibrated. He's even come up with some rather good lines, such as this morning's one on track-and-trace: "Nobody needs a world-beating system, we just need one that works."

I think the last line is absolutely valid criticism. A government that feeds off press hyperbole rarely bothers with dull detail and tends to deliver incompetence. Far more of an issue than the timing of the lockdown.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,331
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

At the time, it appears that it was the politicians who forced the lockdown, with the scientists still a few days behind in their thinking.

Hopefully the scientists, being scientists, are now reviewing all the data and decision-making from February and March, to ensure that we have a better idea of how to cope with any resurgence.

Government should also get their own enquiry up and running quickly, so that the various public bodies are better prepared for any second wave.
    However, there were scientists pushing for an earlier lockdown than the UK had, and the membership of SAGE has been accused of missing important areas of expertise;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/27/gaps-sage-scientific-body-scientists-medical

Anyone know how SAGE members are selected?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    TOPPING said:

I think this gets the cause and effect backwards. When the opposition decides to stop doing it's job, that's when the government makes its most catastrophic mistakes.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,470
    isam said:

Starmer is still trying to explain his BLM views. He is checking into the re education centre after his racist gaffe

Linguistic precision is a luxury. If I were a Uighur or a Mauritanian slave and someone wanted to rescue me I wouldn't stop to ask whether it was a 'moment' or not, just as I wouldn't notice if s/he spoke of 'people of colour' or 'coloured people'.

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Most Scottish nationalism is driven by an inferiority complex and deep-seated resentment toward England. Therefore, any problems Scotland faces as an independent country (there will be many) will be blamed on England.

This is why most secure Scots support the Union, as indeed do the vast majority of the Welsh - they are comfortable with their cultural identity as it is.

An independent Scotland will probably join the EU and Euro in short-order, and then do it's best to agitate against rUK foreign policy, which will compromise the defence of these islands, and harden-up a border at Berwick by pursuing a different immigration policy as well as through using a different currency.

Scotland actually has the best of both worlds now, but too many up there are too committed to see it. But, once it's left, there really is no way back.

Tbh, that's their problem, not ours. Once they are independent they can blame England all they want. If they want to commit economic suicide by joining the Euro that's also up to them, again not something that will be of huge concern to us.

In the same way the leaving the EU makes the government accountable to the people, independence makes the Scottish government accountable to the people rather than just being able to blame Westminster for everything. Who in Ireland blames Westminster for everything today and gets taken seriously? In time Scotland will have to own their their issues, and we will have to own our problems out of the EU.
  • ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    Selebian said:

Of course, the same applied in the GFC, the fact that Conservative spending plans publicly matched Labour's in the run-up did not stop them, to great effect, claiming that Labour's profligacy was to blame.

"Today, government is spending too much, wasting too much and taxing too much. Britain cannot continue indefinitely to spend more than she is earning without higher taxes or higher interest rates – either of which will harm our economic prospects. If we are to secure our future prosperity, government must once again start to live within its means... we will save £12 billion a year by 2007-8... Of our £12 billion savings, we will use £8billion to reduce Labour’s excessive borrowing" - Conservative manifesto, 2005
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Starmer's focus on competence and chaos rather than evil is clearly the best option for Labour, even if it will piss off a few people on the left of the party. The former says voters have been let down by the government, the latter tells voters they were wrong. Never, ever tell voters they were wrong.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    F1: rumour that Hulkenberg might be going to Renault next year, when Ricciardo goes to McLaren.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Starmer's submission to re-education is displeasing. Excepting his apparent desire to slice England into pieces, his tenure so far has been sensible, excepting his weakness to the far left Black Lives Matters movement.

If the Conservatives don't replace Johnson and Starmer doesn't knock that nonsense off, it'll be interesting to see who I end up voting for.

I wonder if the Pirate Party will stand...

F1: rumour that Hulkenberg might be going to Renault next year, when Ricciardo goes to McLaren.

Back to Renault! Their realistic options are either Hulkenburg, Vettel or an F2 driver, pretty much everyone else is going to end up spoken for. Vettel didn’t exactly do a good job of selling himself yesterday.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Starmer's focus on competence and chaos rather than evil is clearly the best option for Labour, even if it will piss off a few people on the left of the party. The former says voters have been let down by the government, the latter tells voters they were wrong. Never, ever tell voters they were wrong.

Have I missed something? Do some people think the government wanted this outcome?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962

Scott_xP said:

Johnson still had a big, shiny hardon for Brexit and would talk about nothing else as late as mid February. The preoccupation with le grand projet definitely inhibited the government's response to C19.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,470

Fwiw, you have to say the Government was too slow but you also have to say that hindsight is a wonderful thing and that many others read it wrong initially too. Not sure this particular survey amounts to much.

Because opinions come in packages.

The idea of 'world leading' this or that is a perverse way to present government policies. It is about time this came in for ridicule.

Moreover the idea that if a British company or laboratory found a cure or vaccine then we should automatically have first dibs at it, as is sometimes implied by press reports, is a bolshie attitude inappropriate to a global pandemic. We must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    Sandpit said:

Back to Renault! Their realistic options are either Hulkenburg, Vettel or an F2 driver, pretty much everyone else is going to end up spoken for. Vettel didn’t exactly do a good job of selling himself yesterday.
    Given the choice of Renault or retirement I can see Vettel going for retirement.

TOPPING said:

Somehow Jeremy Hunt and Rory Stewart could see how badly the government were fucking it up at the time, not to mention basically any sentient person who was paying attention to how other countries were handling it and understood that East Asia wasn't this one enormous authoritarian dictatorship.
    Yes. They had a view. But that's a world away from having all the medical and scientific resources at their disposal.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    Actually the question is slightly different from whether Johnson should have acted earlier , its whether he should have acted faster to prevent the spread of covid -19. There are people who believe the spread is inevitable (at some point) so no need for a lockdown or that they believe the other damage lockdown casues is the greater evil .Its obvious the more you lockdown the more you prevent the spread initially .Hence a big majority saying this . However if the question was simply , should the government have lockdowned earlier (or indeed at all) there would be less of a majority
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Tbh, that's their problem, not ours. Once they are independent they can blame England all they want. If they want to commit economic suicide by joining the Euro that's also up to them, again not something that will be of huge concern to us.

In the same way the leaving the EU makes the government accountable to the people, independence makes the Scottish government accountable to the people rather than just being able to blame Westminster for everything. Who in Ireland blames Westminster for everything today and gets taken seriously? In time Scotland will have to own their their issues, and we will have to own our problems out of the EU.
    It is our problem because it will make our defence and foreign policy harder, and make it harder to trade within the islands themselves. It won't lead to any reduction of rancour or increase in good neighbourliness, in my view.

It is their decision though.
    DavidL said:

FPT

I am British and proud of it. I would always describe myself as British unless I was speaking to fellow Brits from another part of the UK in which case I am Scottish. I have no problem with this duality.

What am I proud of? Well, I think the UK has been a force for good in the world many times in its history and still is. I am proud that we are the second largest aid donor in the world; that we have so many magnificent Universities; that we are tolerant as a nation of both race and sexual orientation; that we have a very deep rooted sense of fair play and try to do the right thing.

Of course there are episodes in our history that are shameful, we don't always live up to our principles and we still have minorities of bigots. But when we get things wrong we angst about it, we try to do better and we learn from our mistakes.

I will therefore always be against Scottish independence. I would be diminished as a part of a country that would count for so little in world affairs, whose views were of no consequence and which would frankly be more parochial and inward looking.

As an activist in Better Together I was deeply frustrated by the negative line taken by the likes of Darling. The economic arguments against independence are of course compelling but a transactional view of the Union is one that is ultimately doomed to failure in my view. At some point, if that is all there is, Scots will think that the considerable price to be paid is worth it and that is their right. Unionists need to make the positive case for the Union and for me that has certain implications.

First, if the Scottish people clearly and conclusively say they want a referendum on independence they get it. At the moment there is a Nationalist majority in Holyrood but it was not elected on the basis that they would have a referendum. There were 3 conditions, none of which looked like they were going to be met in that Parliament. An SNP manifesto committed to a second referendum in the next Parliament which gets a majority is a different matter and needs to be respected.

Second, the Scottish people, like a sex partner, are entitled to change their mind at any point and are not bound by the once in a generation commitment. Of course such referenda are economically ruinous doing great damage to our tax base and paralysing domestic politics where there is so much to sort but that is the prerogative of a sovereign people. If they vote for it (and they should consider that vote very carefully) they are entitled to get it.

Third, the proposition that Boris can use his English majority to stop such a thing is simply unacceptable. This is a Union, not a dominion. I cannot think of anything that would be more fatal to the Union than such a stance.

A second referendum is sadly inevitable but the result is very much up for grabs. I will campaign again to keep my country. That country, if it lives up to its principles, will not stand in the way if that is what Scots choose.

Excellent post - although I think many of the values you identify as British are much more widely held than that across Europe and beyond. There are also a lot of parallels in what you say to how many people (though not the majority) feel about the UK and the EU. There is one key difference, though: the UK can rejoin the EU. Once the Union is broken, there is no going back. It is done. It will be a total failure of the Westminster system if it happens.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

It is our problem because it will make our defence and foreign policy harder, and make it harder to trade within the islands themselves. It won't lead to any reduction of rancour or increase in good neighbourliness, in my view.

It will also have a significant effect on perceptions of us from the outside looking in. It will be far more seismic than the Brexit vote in just about every way imaginable.

edited July 2020
    geoffw said:

The idea of 'world leading' this or that is a perverse way to present government policies. It is about time this came in for ridicule.

Moreover the idea that if a British company or laboratory found a cure or vaccine then we should automatically have first dibs at it, as is sometimes implied by press reports, is a bolshie attitude inappropriate to a global pandemic. We must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately.

On the first point 100% agree. On the second it is the manufacturer who essentially gets an opportunity for first dibs not the inventor, so even if we wanted to hang separately it is not within our control.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    geoffw said:

I thought first dibs had already been agreed with AstraZeneca?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Excellent post - although I think many of the values you identify as British are much more widely held than that across Europe and beyond. There are also a lot of parallels in what you say to how many people (though not the majority) feel about the UK and the EU. There is one key difference, though: the UK can rejoin the EU. Once the Union is broken, there is no going back. It is done. It will be a total failure of the Westminster system if it happens.

Yes, it will be ironic if Brexit prompts Scotland into making exactly the same kind of mistake as Brexit, based on exactly the same kind of wishful thinking and the same kind of disdain for economic and political realities, in pursuit of the same kind of illusory sovereignty.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

It will also have a significant effect on perceptions of us from the outside looking in. It will be far more seismic than the Brexit vote in just about every way imaginable.

It also renders the Union Flag redundant (it just becomes purely historic after that point) which would make its continued use rather laughable.

We might cock a sneer at that, but it still stands for rather a lot both here and overseas.
    tlg86 said:

Have I missed something? Do some people think the government wanted this outcome?

I think there is a school of thought which believes the government has showed a deliberate disregard for human life in favour of prioritising the economy. It's not one I share, but I have seen it expressed on here and elsewhere.

TOPPING said:

I think this gets the cause and effect backwards. When the opposition decides to stop doing it's job, that's when the government makes its most catastrophic mistakes.
    There is an inevitable asymmetry of information which renders this moot. The Conservative government was not given access to all the intelligence and associated information about Iraq; while Labour were not given access to all the scientific and medical analysis and advice (the advice was after all for the government, not parliament).

They are absolutely justified in criticising if only for party political purposes (that is, as you say, their job), but during the crisis they could only agree with or even support the government's position.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,795

It won't end with Brexit.

Most British nationalism is driven by an inferiority complex and deep-seated resentment towards the EU. Therefore, any problems Britain faces as an independent country (there will be many) will be blamed on the EU.

geoffw said:

If British companies or laboratories find a cure or vaccine of course we should get it first.

We shouldn't be the only ones to get it, but of course we should get it first which is why the government is investing so much funding and resources into trying to find one.

That's not to say the rest of the world won't get it too but just like on an airplane when you put your own air on first if we discover a vaccine of course our needy should get it first.

Just as if America finds the vaccine first I have no doubt they will ensure Americans are the first to get it too.

As soon as possible this should be rolled out globally but the country that finds it has a moral obligation to its own high risk citizens and taxpayers who funded the research to use it first.
    DavidL said:

FPT

Excellent post, David.

I'd go slightly more emotional than you: we all live on the same island and have a huge amount in common. Weather, landscapes, language (by and large), humour, families, history, heritage, and common institutions, like the monarchy, currency, NHS, BBC and armed forces.

I think it would be a tragedy to split. But, it's a battle I know is currently being lost.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,046
    geoffw said:

Spot on.

I would like to see a "world beating" absence of puerile boasting in government.
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

It has and why shouldn't it? If we're funding the research of course we should get it first if we're successful. We should share it with the globe but that doesn't mean waiting for 7 billion vaccines to be produced before we use it ourselves.
    kinabalu said:

geoffw said:

Spot on.

I would like to see a "world beating" absence of puerile boasting in government.
    I would not. I would like to see justification would world beating boasting. I would like an incentive for such a justification.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,026
    edited July 2020

Any answer to the competence question for this government over their handling of C19 is now almost beyond a cogent defence. Wilful neglect is more difficult to prove.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,284

Most British nationalism is driven by an inferiority complex and deep-seated resentment towards the EU. Therefore, any problems Britain faces as an independent country (there will be many) will be blamed on the EU.

I am sure there is a bit of that from some, but the psychology of the two situations isn't really comparable.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,094

DavidL said:

FPT

Of course there are other civilised countries in the world (weirdly, some of them even manage without cricket) but this is our country and we Scots have to choose whether to stay together or not.

The differences with the EU are of degree. It is a startling fact that the EU budget was capped at 1% of GDP of the EU. Public expenditure is roughly 42% of GDP in Scotland and a significant proportion of that is UK spend. Scotland sends approximately 60% of its trade to rUK, 15% to the EU. We were in the EEC, then EU for 50 years and for most of that time it was no more than a trading bloc. We have had full Union with England for more than 300 years. However you cut it Scottish independence would be many, many times more disruptive than leaving the EU and we see what that has done to our country over the last 4 years.

Furthermore, the idea that London in particular will cease to be a magnet for our bright young kids and our money because we had independence really only has to be written down to show its absurdity. Our economy will continue to be dominated by England. The LPF issue will apply to the UK single market. Either we comply with English regulation or we lose that access. Our "independence" will be a fragile thing indeed. But that's the choice.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Of course there are other civilised countries in the world (weirdly, some of them even manage without cricket) but this is our country and we Scots have to choose whether to stay together or not.

The differences with the EU are of degree. It is a startling fact that the EU budget was capped at 1% of GDP of the EU. Public expenditure is roughly 42% of GDP in Scotland and a significant proportion of that is UK spend. Scotland sends approximately 60% of its trade to rUK, 15% to the EU. We were in the EEC, then EU for 50 years and for most of that time it was no more than a trading bloc. We have had full Union with England for more than 300 years. However you cut it Scottish independence would be many, many times more disruptive than leaving the EU and we see what that has done to our country over the last 4 years.

Furthermore, the idea that London in particular will cease to be a magnet for our bright young kids and our money because we had independence really only has to be written down to show its absurdity. Our economy will continue to be dominated by England. The LPF issue will apply to the UK single market. Either we comply with English regulation or we lose that access. Our "independence" will be a fragile thing indeed. But that's the choice.
    Do you see any bright sides to independence or is it all negative?

Do you agree with the idea that at least independence will force Scottish politicians to ultimately address Scotland's issues rather than blame London?
    edited July 2020

Yes, it will be ironic if Brexit prompts Scotland into making exactly the same kind of mistake as Brexit, based on exactly the same kind of wishful thinking and the same kind of disdain for economic and political realities, in pursuit of the same kind of illusory sovereignty.
    These 2 things - Brexit and Sindy - are often compared. For me, the comparison is good in the sense that both (if taken) will be decisions of the heart not head. Matters of identity not economics. But the comparison is weak when it comes to sovereignty. The UK was a sovereign state within the EU. Scotland is not sovereign within the UK. In this sense, Sindy has a stronger case for being viewed as a genuine matter of self determination than Brexit does.

DavidL said:

FPT

Excellent post, David.

I'd go slightly more emotional than you: we all live on the same island and have a huge amount in common. Weather, landscapes, language (by and large), humour, families, history, heritage, and common institutions, like the monarchy, currency, NHS, BBC and armed forces.

I think it would be a tragedy to split. But, it's a battle I know is currently being lost.
    Yes, there is so much more I could have said about the pride of being British but the word limit was against me.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

As certain implications.

First, respected.

Second, it.

Excellent post - happens.

It will be seismic and it will it will dominate political, economic and social discourse - probably for the rest of the lives of everyone who posts on here. The consequences will cut across all aspects of everything in every way you can imagine and probably a lot more on top. Were it to happen it would be the ultimate failure of the elites who control this country. They would have absolutely nowhere to run or to hide. I can see absolutely how heartbreaking it wil be for many - particularly Scots who do also have a strong sense of Britishness. I will regret it immensely, but as someone who feels primarily English and who thinks England needs a huge shake-up, I can definitely see upsides.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    DavidL said:

FPT

This is a lot of verbiage to dress up your own narrow nationalism.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,284

DavidL said:

FPT

Excellent post, David.

If it's a battle being lost, it's because one side hasn't really started fighting it yet. That's both a little depressing, and heartening.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Brexit and Scottish Independence are part of the the same political movement. Nostalgic nationalism.

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Then why did they follow their advice?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Do you see any bright sides to independence or is it all negative?

Do you agree with the idea that at least independence will force Scottish politicians to ultimately address Scotland's issues rather than blame London?
    Not really. The Irish blamed the Brits for all their ills for the best part of 90 years and I don't see Scottish politicians being any more enlightened.

It might shake up our domestic politics a bit. A Scottish Conservative party detached from the UK may seek to develop a more nuanced manifesto than "no to a second referendum". That would be helpful. It may be that the SNP would split making Scottish politics more pluralistic but I wouldn't count on that. Last I checked the ANC were very much in control of SA.

The economic situation would be extremely grim. There would be major cuts in public spending, increases in taxation and a brain drain to south of the border. This would make constructive debate in Scotland very difficult. I fear bitterness and disillusionment at a level that would make the most ardent remainers blush.

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Because that was the best advice they had available.

If the scientists are saying that the Italians are making a mistake and making matters worse and that we should not make their mistakes then why should our government not listen to them?

The questions were asked, we know that. The scientists answered them. The scientists gave reasons for saying we shouldn't lock down and shouldn't follow the Italians and in a parallel universe they may have been right. You may wish we'd done different but don't pretend questions weren't asked which were - and were asked and answered ON CAMERA!
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Sandpit said:

Yes. But we'd expect the Government to have had better advice than the random public, and to be willing to make difficult decisions when necessary.

Sometimes it is necessary to lead opinion rather than simply follow it. In a major natural disaster, it is one of those times.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Any answer to the competence question for this government over their handling of C19 is now almost beyond a cogent defence. Wilful neglect is more difficult to prove.
    Look at Israel, the Government received massive praise for its approach back in April. Now cases are spiralling is the Israeli Government incompetent?

Sandpit said:

Yes. But we'd expect the Government to have had better advice than the random public, and to be willing to make difficult decisions when necessary.

Sometimes it is necessary to lead opinion rather than simply follow it. In a major natural disaster, it is one of those times.
    Which the government did at the time. What the government don't have access to is hindsight.
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Johnson still had a big, shiny hardon for Brexit and would talk about nothing else as late as mid February. The preoccupation with le grand projet definitely inhibited the government's response to C19.
    Head in the oven and oblivious to what was simmering on the stove. Ouch.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

It also renders the Union Flag redundant (it just becomes purely historic after that point) which would make its continued use rather laughable.
    We can fly what ever flag we want - do you think the countries/states that currently have the Union flag as part of their flag are going to change theirs? It's a strong brand. Keep it.

RobD said:

geoffw said:

It has and why shouldn't it? If we're funding the research of course we should get it first if we're successful. We should share it with the globe but that doesn't mean waiting for 7 billion vaccines to be produced before we use it ourselves.
    AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish multinational. It has contracts to supply vaccines to the NHS, to the USA and to the EU. All fine, and the US need for vaccine is huge atm, as it is in some EU countries including here. But no country is insulated from infection in other countries, so the global allocation/distribution of vaccines must be determined according to where their application has the greatest impact on the epidemic. The WHO would be the right vehicle to do that despite its many shortcomings.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

We can fly what ever flag we want - do you think the countries/states that currently have the Union flag as part of their flag are going to change theirs? It's a strong brand. Keep it.

I think a lot of flags are going to change anyway when the Queen dies.

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Because that was the best advice they had available.

If the scientists are saying that the Italians are making a mistake and making matters worse and that we should not make their mistakes then why should our government not listen to them?

The questions were asked, we know that. The scientists answered them. The scientists gave reasons for saying we shouldn't lock down and shouldn't follow the Italians and in a parallel universe they may have been right. You may wish we'd done different but don't pretend questions weren't asked which were - and were asked and answered ON CAMERA!
    The issue I have with this is that the scientific and medical advice is one, an important component of the government's calculus. What Boris did, because many reasons I'm sure, and continues to do, was to outsource government to the Chief Medical Officer.

That for me was and is the failing. Because of course, as they are finding out now, the medics advise on the medical aspects but appear to me for all the world to have ignored eg. NICE's value of a human life and appear to think that each life is worth millions if not hundreds of millions.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,795

I am sure there is a bit of that from some, but the psychology of the two situations isn't really comparable.
    I am sure I have seen many posts here on pb saying such as "if there are tariffs, they will be blamed on the EU, not Brexit".
This discussion has been closed.