Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Susan Rice moves up sharply in the betting to be Biden’s runni

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited July 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Susan Rice moves up sharply in the betting to be Biden’s running mate

Joe Biden has made it clear that he aims to announce who will be his running mate in early August so we could know who is going to be on the ticket with him in less than a month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    First like Liverpool.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Second like Labour.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,172
    Third, oh whats the point...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Im hoping Trump picks Kanye West as his VP

The internet will explode
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,233
    Susan Rice sounds interesting. Former NSA, ambassador to the UN, graduate of Oxford. I suspect her having a major role in the administration would put US/UK relations back onto some more like a normal footing.

I see Biden's VP having a Cheney like influence on the administration as the boss gets ever more wandered. She looks like she would be up for that.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,196
    Normally a Presidential candidate will make a big deal of their VP choice - any excuse to win a bit of airtime - but I wonder whether there's a danger in that for Biden?

It's become received wisdom that his VP pick is more important than normal, because his age make it more likely they will be called upon to take over. The more hoopla and hype there is around his VP pick the more that question comes to the fore - raising questions about his physical and mental capability for the job.

I think there's a real danger for Biden with this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Susan Rice sounds interesting. Former NSA, ambassador to the UN, graduate of Oxford. I suspect her having a major role in the administration would put US/UK relations back onto some more like a normal footing.

I see Biden's VP having a Cheney like influence on the administration as the boss gets ever more wandered. She looks like she would be up for that.

Rhodes scholar

probably linked to the KKK
  • Options

That would be funny.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

Possibly one of their more liberal branches...
  • Options

I hate myself, but I like two Kanye West songs (Goldigga and Black Skinhead) but I've got a ton of a Cardassian/Kardashian puns ready for deployment.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

If West does run as in independent, who benefits out of the main two candidates?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DavidL said:

Or maybe Trump could choose Condoleezza Rice as his running mate

to women call Rice should confuse the hell out of the Americans
  • Options

Normally a Presidential candidate will make a big deal of their VP choice - any excuse to win a bit of airtime - but I wonder whether there's a danger in that for Biden?

It's become received wisdom that his VP pick is more important than normal, because his age make it more likely they will be called upon to take over. The more hoopla and hype there is around his VP pick the more that question comes to the fore - raising questions about his physical and mental capability for the job.

I think there's a real danger for Biden with this.

It's inevitable and there is nothing he can do about it. If he picked someone as useless as Trump as his VP he would be saying, "are you willing to bet on me remaining compus, err, compus, err, you know what I mean, for the next 4 years?"
  • Options

DavidL said:

Clearly a Chinese plot.
  • Options

If West does run as in independent, who benefits out of the main two candidates?
    All of America benefits.

Kim's butt can be carved in to Mt Rushmore
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

I've always wanted to join the KKK, I really want to know which washing powder they use to keep their sheets white.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,523
    edited July 2020
    delete
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, bloody spoonheads.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

West
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

I would say Trump, but only marginally, simply because I don't think West will get on the ballot in many states, and he's unlikely to be treated as a serious candidate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Condoleeza Rice would be an excellent VP pick. But I don't think she'd do it, either for Trump or anyone else.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

I've always wanted to join the KKK, I really want to know which washing powder they use to keep their sheets white.
    you chose the wrong Uni. Cambridge does useful stuff for mankind whereas Oxford produces George Osborne
  • Options

All of America benefits.

Kim's butt can be carved in to Mt Rushmore
    Finally I will have an excuse to use this picture in thread headers.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

Its a bit of a mystery right enough, what with the burning crosses, Molotov cocktails and tramping around in the mud on hot nights. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

DavidL said:

I wouldn't put a change of VP past Trump, has a VP ever been dropped by a sitting president before?
    But if he's that desperate who would take it?
  • Options

Garak is my all time favourite character from Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

DavidL said:

I wouldn't put a change of VP past Trump, has a VP ever been dropped by a sitting president before?
    But if he's that desperate who would take it?
    FDR dropped a VEEP or two.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, he's pretty damned good.

When he's not being shot by Clint Eastwood.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

Its a bit of a mystery right enough, what with the burning crosses, Molotov cocktails and tramping around in the mud on hot nights. Good luck with that.
    Tramping around in the mud on hot nights in those sheets must be very uncomfortable.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

you chose the wrong Uni. Cambridge does useful stuff for mankind whereas Oxford produces George Osborne
    George is a one man jobs miracle, he's got another job recently.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Is Kanye running so that the tens of millions of Americans who can't abide Trump yet are unenthused by the 77 year old Biden have a real option?
  • Options
    Completely Off Topic
    Tesla stock going wild 1,331.30 + 122.64 (+10.15%)
    I bought a few at 820 six weeks ago, last October they were 250.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Garak is my all time favourite character from Star Trek.
    I should have gone into tailoring.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Isn't Susan Rice's son a Trump-supporting right-wing loon? Could get interesting.
  • Options
    xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz Posts: 37
    I would like to add to yesterdays debate on a wealth tax. A trust, like the Duke of Westminster's, pays 6% tax every 10 years. Instead of a wealth tax you could include business and farms in inheritance tax but cut the rate to 6% for everybody. That would bring in much more money than inheritance tax at 40%. Business and farms could borrow the 6% and pay it back over a generation. Trusts do not seem to complain about paying 6% every 10 years.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Is Kanye running so that the tens of millions of Americans who can't abide Trump yet are unenthused by the 77 year old Biden have a real option?

Cheap publicity, like Jordan standing for parliament?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cheap publicity, like Jordan standing for parliament?
    Katie Price missed an opportunity not standing as the Popular Front candidate in 2001.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

I would say Trump, but only marginally, simply because I don't think West will get on the ballot in many states, and he's unlikely to be treated as a serious candidate.
    He might not get on the ballot but he may ask some uncomfortable questions re what the Democrats have done for the Black population. I certainly can't see it hurting Trump although there have been one or two polls suggesting younger Black voters are (relatively) more pro-Trump
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    FPT about people having a "good" pandemic.

No, it's been bloody horrible. OK so financially its actually benefitted my company (in that we still have one) but otherwise whats good about it. 50k+ dead and we're by no means done. Many more struggling to recover from it. Normal life stopped with many of these jobs and businesses gone for good. Many many of us have found it to be a harrowing challenging period mentally, others financially (#ExcludedUK campaign finally talking about the many people completely abandonded by this), others both.

OK so there is some hope for the future. That we see some significant changes to how we live and work so that the environmental positives can be maintained, that the improved work / life balance can be maintained. Already though we see signs that the government wants status quo ante so that we can all be lined up ready to be thrown off the Brexit cliff.
  • Options
    LadyG said:
    Don't suppose the test and trace might actually be working?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

He might not get on the ballot but he may ask some uncomfortable questions re what the Democrats have done for the Black population. I certainly can't see it hurting Trump although there have been one or two polls suggesting younger Black voters are (relatively) more pro-Trump
    "Blonde and gone".
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

I believe they do it by very strictly keeping their whites separate.
    That's a hit.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited July 2020
    Gov.uk website for reporting tests, cases, deaths appears to have completely fallen apart.

Not properly updated for 3 days and now a complete shambles.

Data for cases - no daily figures for last 3 days - but cumulative total jumps today by 3 days worth.

It literally looks as if the whole thing is being managed by someone struggling to pass a GCSE.

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases

• Options
    MikeL said:

Gov.uk website for reporting tests, cases, deaths appears to have completely fallen apart.

Data for cases - no daily figures for last 3 days - but cumulative total jumps today by 3 days worth.

It literally looks as if the whole thing is being manged by someone struggling to pass a GCSE.

World beating

https://twitter.com/AndrewSparrow/status/1280112097872031745
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,145
    Why do you feel the need to keep posting statistics to imply Scotland and Wales have performed poorly throughout the life of the pandemic? It seems a really peculiar thing to want to do.

Just saying.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    From the England case data
    MikeL said:

It literally looks as if the whole thing is being managed by someone struggling to pass a GCSE.

That is the Beta testing site....
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It mentions that it's still in the testing phase. Is it similarly bad here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,677
    edited July 2020

Why do you feel the need to keep posting statistics to imply Scotland and Wales have performed poorly throughout the life of the pandemic? It seems a really peculiar thing to want to do.

Just saying.
    You could delete "and Wales" and "throughout the life of the pandemic".

I had thought Carlotta lived in Scotland, given the level of interest - but it now turns out [edit] she/he lives in the CIs (and has made some very interesting reports and comments on the situation there).
  • Options
    England case data - from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Last 3-5 days are provisional. Last 5 days included for completeness

• Options

Just saying.
    Good for a bit of balance, don't you think?
  • Options

Just saying.
    I think in this case its a bit of a fact check on a false claim re Wales vs England (see the original).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited July 2020
    edit: my bad
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited July 2020

Just saying.
    You'll note it rebuts a tweet that Wales is doing particularly well - "much better shape than England".

It's the nationalists I'm not overly fond of.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    snip
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    xyzxyzxyz said:

I would like to add to yesterdays debate on a wealth tax. A trust, like the Duke of Westminster's, pays 6% tax every 10 years. Instead of a wealth tax you could include business and farms in inheritance tax but cut the rate to 6% for everybody. That would bring in much more money than inheritance tax at 40%. Business and farms could borrow the 6% and pay it back over a generation. Trusts do not seem to complain about paying 6% every 10 years.

An annual wealth tax of 0.58%. Lower than my current council tax bill :D.
    Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    MaxPB said:

edit: my bad

You're reading it wrong

It is showing the cases on all the preceding MONDAYS
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

It mentions that it's still in the testing phase. Is it similarly bad here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ ?
    Nope, just scrapped the latest data at the main site.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    We'll be really f@cked if he also has appointments to address the SNP and LD's.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

"Blonde and gone".
    Maybe RuPaul should stand and the two of them can fight it out for the third party vote
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

But couldn't he ask those questions anyway? And mightn't he get further if people weren't laughing at him over a vanity Presidential run?

I can't see it personally. I don't think there is a massive groundswell of young black Americans (or older ones for that matter) who are desperate for someone (anyone) to run just because they're black. Liking someone's music doesn't really seem like enough.

If he did run, he wouldn't get into the debates, and he wouldn't get onto the ballot in most states, and it would cost him a lot of money for... for... for what exactly?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

*Claps*
  • Options
    We should too:

On Friday, Canada became the first to suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong over what it said was the national security law’s disregard for Hong Kong’s “one country, two systems” framework of semi-autonomy and the city’s mini-constitution, the Basic Law.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3091960/international-call-halt-extradition-treaties-hong-kong-after
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

Just saying.
    Surely the 'Wales is in a much better position than England' comment in that tweet deserves to be refuted if it is false. Or are you only happy with news when it makes Westminster look bad?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

*Claps*
    Note that the whole bedsheet thing was an invention for the modern Klan - which was largely invented around the portrayal of the Klan in Birth of Nation.

The original Klan looked more like this -

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Just saying.
    Surely the 'Wales is in a much better position than England' comment in that tweet deserves to be refuted if it is false. Or are you only happy with news when it makes Westminster look bad?
    This is the whole argument from yesterday, Scotland = good, UK = bad. When in fact both have been utterly dogshit.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

Completely Off Topic

Can anyone explain why Tesla is now valued at ~$250 billion?
  • Options
    From the NHS Hospital deaths data - last 10 days.

Last 3-5 data subject to revision. Last 5 days included for completeness

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

xyzxyzxyz said:

An annual wealth tax of 0.58%. Lower than my current council tax bill :D.
    Sounds good to me.
    Oh wait, this will be "in addition to" council tax most likely D:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

OK, data is up to date and correct on that site.

But it's not nearly as comprehensive as the "BETA testing" site.

If all the data is available, why not update the other site? It was being updated every day until 3 days ago without any problems.

It just smacks of complete hopelessness and incompetence.
  • Options

From the NHS Hospital deaths data - last 10 days.

Last 3-5 data subject to revision. Last 5 days included for completeness

Full number rectangle with single figures (in base 9 even) only. Hopefully it'll look like a binomial table at some point.
  • Options

Completely Off Topic

1) Because they figured out how to make the Model 3 profitably.
    2) They are selling cars with no advertising, and selling everything they can make
    3) This means that every time they build another factory - more profit.
    4) They seem to be ahead of all the other car makers on electric vehicles
    5) They are ahead on battery power storage
    6) Most of the western world in heading full tilt to get rid of ICE vehicles
    7) The legacy car makers are trying to catch up - and not doing especially well

All of the above may not add up to $250 billion, but these are the reasons that it has gone that way.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

If all the data is available, why not update the other site? It was being updated every day until 3 days ago without any problems.

I find it hard to get that worked up about a site that is clearly labeled as being under development/testing.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

Completely Off Topic

Nope but then again I struggled to understand how it was worth $50bn..
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Why?

Having experts like the Governor address and inform our lawmakers seems sensible.

Doing so in separate and private addresses to the parties does so in a way more likely to be informative and less likely to be partisan grandstanding like at Select Committees.
  • Options
    eek said:

Completely Off Topic

I'm still waiting for someone explain Bitcoin to me, which seems like a modern day tulip mania.
  • Options
    eek said:

Completely Off Topic

Lord only knows. Even Elon Musk reckons it's overvalued and it's his company.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

*Claps*
    Note that the whole bedsheet thing was an invention for the modern Klan - which was largely invented around the portrayal of the Klan in Birth of Nation.

That law abiding klansman looks like he's being terrorised in his own home by a black mob.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

eek said:

Completely Off Topic

I'm still waiting for someone explain Bitcoin to me, which seems like a modern day tulip mania.
    Bitcoin is easy, that's a means of transferring money out of countries and collecting ransom demands.
  • Options
    Wonder if Boris will go to the US in the middle of Trump's re-election campaign?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-8495073/Trudeau-turns-White-House-invitation-amid-pandemic.html
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,811

We'll be really f@cked if he also has appointments to address the SNP and LD's.
    He's probably going to tell them all the coffers are bare, and the next time a government fucks up, don't expect a bailout.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I think it's the UK wide data that's incomplete. For example, Northern Ireland started (from Friday) to not provide updates on Saturday or Sunday, so those figures have to be updated post hoc. There are other differences in when data is reported in each nation of the UK so that may explain things. Speaking to this, if you click on the 'nation' or 'region' links the data can often be more recent.
  • Options
    eek said:

Completely Off Topic

Is it the scenario whereby the world goes nuts for electric driverless "cars" and they have the inside track on making them?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

Completely Off Topic

2) They are selling cars with no advertising, and selling everything they can make

All of the above may not add up to $250 billion, but these are the reasons that it has gone that way.
    I've no financial background so you might have to forgive this but....

How many cars would a mature low growth Tesla have to sell to justify that valuation?

What percentage of the total EV market is a mature Tesla going to occupy?

To my financial illiteracy this parabolic valuation seems to assume limited competition from all the other established auto makers.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited July 2020

I hate myself, but I like two Kanye West songs (Goldigga and Black Skinhead) but I've got a ton of a Cardassian/Kardashian puns ready for deployment.
    Oh, that lovely singalong ditty.

Now I’m not saying she’s a gold digga,
    But she ain’t playin’ with no broke n.....

Err, I think I’ll stop there, if that’s okay.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

*Claps*

That law abiding klansman looks like he's being terrorised in his own home by a black mob.
    Yes - the Klan used blackface. That is, they used the old disguise used by criminals over the years - rubbing charcoal into their faces to disguise themselves.

See the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Act_1723
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    MaxPB said:

Just saying.
    This is the whole argument from yesterday, Scotland = good, UK = bad. When in fact both have been utterly dogshit.
    Sadly it only matters what people believe. They already believe the nations are much more different than they are, a bit like how people grossly overestimate the muslim population of the country.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I find it hard to get that worked up about a site that is clearly labeled as being under development/testing.
    The data is all there on the original site.

The main difference is the dynamic graph stuff. Which is in test.....
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

People who *complain* about the existence of bugs in Beta tests do not understand what Beta means.

Beta's are there so that errors are found and *reported*.
  • Options

Completely Off Topic

How many cars would a mature low growth Tesla have to sell to justify that valuation?

To my financial illiteracy this parabolic valuation seems to assume limited competition from all the other established auto makers.
    Proposition one: in the future, all cars will be electric.
    Proposition two: in tech, the winner (Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, etc.) utterly dominates returns.
    Proposition three: the electric car industry is part of the tech industry.

If you believe all three, then Tesla is worth $250bn.

I am sceptical about proposition three, which means proposition two doesn't apply.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Rhodes scholar

*Claps*

Yes - the Klan used blackface. That is, they used the old disguise used by criminals over the years - rubbing charcoal into their faces to disguise themselves.

See the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Act_1723
    Ah ok. Interesting. Did not know that. So at least a genuine practical reason then. Not cultural appropriation.
  • Options

Completely Off Topic

The valuation is too high - agreed.

What I was pointing out is where the hype is coming from -

If the legacy car industry continues to underperform and let Tesla expand, they will do to the legacy makers what Amazon did to bricks and mortar.

At which point people start making absurd guesses as to what proportion of the EV market Tesla will own in the future.

• Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Just saying.
    Sadly it only matters what people believe. They already believe the nations are much more different than they are, a bit like how people grossly overestimate the muslim population of the country.
    Or of most minorities. That's my impression anyway.
This discussion has been closed.