Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited December 2013 in General

Comments

• Options
    Hard to disagree with Mike's reasoning.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Still no Tim? I suggest banning the moderator whose actions the other night make Lord Denning's judgement on the Christine Keeler affair seem a model of impartiality
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    As they say (paraphrased)

Past performance is no indication of electoral success.

We have the Ukip joker in the pack, the other joker Ed Miliband in play. The knave of spades still encamped as Shadow Chancellor and as the months roll by the economic aces fall into the Coalition hand.

Perhaps Mike thinks this game is snap rather than the 5 year poker game that Cameron and Clegg have been playing.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Still no Tim? I suggest banning the moderator whose actions the other night make Lord Denning's judgement on the Christine Keeler affair seem a model of impartiality

Tim has been free to post since Sunday.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Morning all :)

This should get the blood racing for a few on here, Mike, so be prepared...

It's hard to fault your logic - even the poll showing the gap closed to 2% which excited so many on here would still give Labour a narrow majority.

On the one side the view is that a recovering economy and improved personal and family economic circumstances (aided by the daily propaganda of statistics) will convince many that the Coalition in general and the Conservatives in particular have done a good job and deserve another five years and that the risk of allowing Labour in to wreck the economy again is too great.

On the other is the view that the events of 2010 must never be forgiven or forgotten and the only hope for those who care about public servivces, the elederly, social justice and an economy not just run for the benefit of the wealthy lies with bringing Labour back to office. Yes, it didn't go well last time but allowing the Conservatives and their lick-spittle Lib Dem allies the opportunity to pound the poor into the dirt for another five years would be a betrayal of the people of this country.

Truth, I'd like you to meet my two friends, Rock and Hard Place. I'm sure you'll all get along just fine.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Great news on unemployment!

@itvnews
    Unemployment fell by 99,000 between August and October to 2.39 million, official figures showed http://itv.co/19RX4I0

Rate drops to 7.4%.

Biggest fall for many years.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Ladbrokes are 13-8 on No Overall Majority. That is a better price than Betfair.

Backed Labour Majority with Betfair, Backed NOM with Ladbrokes. I Suppose it could theoretically cost some liquidity but can't have everything in life !
  • Options

Roger said:

Tim has been free to post since Sunday.
    I wouldn't blame him if he gave up on PB altogether. The treatment of certain posters on here is utterly despicable, whereas certain other cretins get to post their nonsense unfettered.
  • Options

In which case I suggest he is suffering a fit of pique which under the circumstances is quite understandable.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The problem with these multiple threads about the Con maj price is that there are never any posters putting the counter argument - there is never a single post giving logic to the price nor backing a con maj (which has been drifting out from sub 4 to 4.2...).

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,962
    Hello:

UK unemployment numbers excellent, dropping from 7.6% to 7.4%. An improvement was expected, but this is much better (36,700 people) than anyone had hoped for.

Also very good this morning were the German business confidence and 'current production' numbers, which remain firmly in the 'growth' camp.

Finally out this morning were Spanish bad debt numbers, which I haven't had time to plough through yet. However, as all the Spanish bank share prices are up, I think we can conclude they were OK.
  • Options
    Roger said:

He's probably doing his Xmas shopping. I'm sure finding a swarovski crystal udder pouch for each of those 100 cows is troublesome.

• Options
    Quite a few of R Nabavi's constituency bets should come in if CON does get a majority.. Hastings and Rye on P Power at 6-1...

I mean that could come in WITHOUT a conservative majority !
  • Options
    Roger said:

In which case I suggest he is suffering a fit of pique which under the circumstances is quite understandable.

I'm sure today's fabulous unemployment figures will cheer him up.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    JackW said:

Roger said:

He's probably doing his Xmas shopping. I'm sure finding a swarovski crystal udder pouch for each of those 100 cows is troublesome.

Can I make it absolutely clear that Tim is not banned. He is not posting following efforts by other posters to reveal his identity.

• Options
    ONS

The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 for August to October 2013 was 72.0%, up 0.4 percentage points from May to July 2013. There were 30.09 million people in employment aged 16 and over, up 250,000 from May to July 2013.

The unemployment rate for August to October 2013 was 7.4% of the economically active population, down 0.3 percentage points from May to July 2013. There were 2.39 million unemployed people, down 99,000 from May to July 2013.

The inactivity rate for those aged from 16 to 64 for August to October 2013 was 22.1%, down 0.1 percentage points from May to July 2013. There were 8.92 million economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64, down 45,000 from May to July 2013.

Between August to October 2012 and August to October 2013 total pay rose by 0.9% and regular pay rose by 0.8%.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    JackW said:

We have the Ukip joker in the pack, the other joker Ed Miliband in play. The knave of spades still encamped as Shadow Chancellor and as the months roll by the economic aces fall into the Coalition hand.

Perhaps Mike thinks this game is snap rather than the 5 year poker game that Cameron and Clegg have been playing.

The UKIP joker is actually the Ace that Cammo needs, JackW, and you know what; he won't get it. Cammo and Cleggover are lousy at poker; always showing up each others hands.
  • Options
    Mike

"Can I make it absolutely clear that Tim is not banned. He is not posting following efforts by other poster to reveal his identity."

And why wasn't the other poster (SeanT) banned?
  • Options
    Excellent unemployment numbers. Below 2 million by May 2105 ?? ... looks entirely possible.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    I think it unfortunate if people don't feel able to post here because they feel their identity may be exposed without their consent. There are plenty of good reasons why someone would not want to reveal their real name and we should - whatever our differences with a poster's political or other views - respect that.
  • Options
    "Er, his identity was already known - after he was unmasked, years ago, as not being the Cheshire farmer he pretended, but someone else entirely."

And his wife's profession?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Can I make it absolutely clear that Tim is not banned. He is not posting following efforts by other poster to reveal his identity.

Er, his identity was already known - after he was unmasked, years ago, as not being the Cheshire farmer he pretended, but someone else entirely.

You cannot reveal what is already revealed.
    Wait!!!! Are you telling me tim isn't a farmer????
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

The UKIP joker is actually the Ace that Cammo needs, JackW, and you know what; he won't get it. Cammo and Cleggover are lousy at poker; always showing up each others hands.
    Think on old fruit. Not too good at this poker lark are you ??

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

Mike

"Can I make it absolutely clear that Tim is not banned. He is not posting following efforts by other poster to reveal his identity."

And why wasn't the other poster (SeanT) banned?

Roger stop being a tit. Most posters on here are either known already or known to other posters. If anyone is really that desperate to find out who a poster is it's fairly straightforward, just ask someone of PB who has met them at a get together.
  • Options
    He's a wine merchant from Liverpool.

Or was it a farmer from Cheshire ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Er, his identity was already known - after he was unmasked, years ago, as not being the Cheshire farmer he pretended, but someone else entirely."

And his wife's profession?

His wife does damn good work, helps alot of people. There was no shame in what her profession was revealed as.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Talking about employment or unemployment is complex - some just run off to the statistics and often just the headlines. The reality of employment in 2013-14 is very different - often part time, often not well paid realtive to the cost of living.

I know many people who have two part-time jobs and even that doesn't seem to make them happy, contented or give them an overall sense of prosperity.

We "seem" to be working longer hours but are we doing any more with or in those hours? I'm not badly paid for what I do but I know I'm worse off than I was in 2010 - I work harder and longer hours but I'm no better off.

That's my experience - I suspect I'm not alone.
  • Options
    Yes here it is .... you've been waiting for it .... agitating away through the evening .... tossing and turning all night .... burrowing through your political almanacs all morning !!!

The JackW Chrimbo Quiz Question is here to titillate your little grey cells .... off we go for all of minutes of unadulterated pleasure :

Who are these political luminaries and what connects them :

a. Funny dough but did Sam not fancy a beer in over 40 years as MP ?

b. He was succeeded by an EU regulated fruit this son-in-law of This Sceptered Isle.

c. A superhero - The $6M man ? .... More like $100M, this early Aunty man was shot from the Skeet trap in 1992.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Cyclefree said:

I think it unfortunate if people don't feel able to post here because they feel their identity may be exposed without their consent. There are plenty of good reasons why someone would not want to reveal their real name and we should - whatever our differences with a poster's political or other views - respect that.

Agreed. I'm afraid we have here a case of callused sensibilities.
  • Options
    A Con majority is certainly not a 20/1 shot. Whilst it might be a big ask, with Labour helped by the disgraceful failure to correct the quite extraordinary fact that the constituencies are systematically biased in their favour, there is simply too much uncertainty over nearly 16 months to assume that the polling won't shift substantially. Historically, in many elections not just in the UK but elsewhere (eg Germany, 2013, Scotland, 2011), shifts of 5% or more in vote shares over such periods are not uncommon - and that is without even considering the possibility of some unexpected game-changer, which in politics is always something to bear in mind when placing your bets.

Of course, that can work either way; we certainly can't discount the possibility that there could be a shift in Labour's favour. For a number of reasons, though, that is less likely than a shift in the Conservatives' favour. These reasons include (a) the economy, (b) Ed Milband, (c) a likely shift back from UKIP as the forced choice becomes more stark, (d) the tendency of oppositions to become less popular as they fill in the blank piece of paper with actual manifesto proposals
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    The price of 23.8% is not "ludicrous" but is rather the price the market places on potential political volatility. It's rather like implied volatility in the options market. Implied volatility (a mathematical construct) can sometimes diverge markedly from actual observed volatility. When implied volatility is high (option premium is expensive) and actual volatility is much lower it can be tempting to sell options on the premise that because nothing much is moving at the present nothing ever will. This is often a losing trade. The recent post on the SNP turnaround in the last Holyrood election in effect makes this point.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Excellent unemployment numbers. Below 2 million by May 2105 ?? ... looks entirely possible.

Alex Belardinelli
    @abelardinelli
    Unemployment fall welcome though #costoflivingcrisis continues - prices rising faster than wages for 41 out of 42 months under David Cameron.

And wait! Britain is getting over 1000 immigrants a day, slipping over from Calais. And thats before the January rush. Not only that, Merkel wants ever closer European Union to hug to her bosom. Oh, oh, oh!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Yes here it is .... you've been waiting for it .... agitating away through the evening .... tossing and turning all night .... burrowing through your political almanacs all morning !!!

The JackW Chrimbo Quiz Question is here to titillate your little grey cells .... off we go for all of minutes of unadulterated pleasure :

b. He was succeeded by an EU regulated fruit this son-in-law of This Sceptered Isle.

c. A superhero - The $6M man ? .... More like $100M, this early Aunty man was shot from the Skeet trap in 1992.

is c Greg Dyke?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

Alex Belardinelli
    @abelardinelli
    Unemployment fall welcome though #costoflivingcrisis continues - prices rising faster than wages for 41 out of 42 months under David Cameron.

And wait! Britain is getting over 1000 immigrants a day, slipping over from Calais. And thats before the January rush. Not only that, Merkel wants ever closer European Union to hug to her bosom. Oh, oh, oh!
    Careful, or you'll turn into tim, desperate for bad news to reinforce your worldview.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Agreed. But his identity was ALREADY known, on this site. Big difference.

Moreover tim was happy to comment, fairly snidely, on MY homelife - children, booze, domestic situation, etc. Generally I accept it as "tim being tim", and of course I have a journalistic profile which I reveal openly to the world, and I acknowledge that this has a price. But a few months ago he claimed I was "making my daughter live on benefits" - an allegation he later withdrew. But he overstepped.

So, just once, I showed him someone could easily google him and make him feel just a little uncomfortable in return. And now he runs away? Pfft.
    SeanT: I'm not going to get involved in your issues with Tim. I was making a more general point, not least because I have not revealed - other than to Mike Smithson - my real identity (for reasons linked to my profession) and I would be crestfallen if someone were to try and identify me. Doubtless someone could find out (if they tried hard enough) but I think that we should not try and out people - or their families - without their consent or - as a matter of good manners - make insulting comments about people's children or family members.

• Options
    stodge said:

Talking about employment or unemployment is complex - some just run off to the statistics and often just the headlines. The reality of employment in 2013-14 is very different - often part time, often not well paid realtive to the cost of living.

I know many people who have two part-time jobs and even that doesn't seem to make them happy, contented or give them an overall sense of prosperity.

We "seem" to be working longer hours but are we doing any more with or in those hours? I'm not badly paid for what I do but I know I'm worse off than I was in 2010 - I work harder and longer hours but I'm no better off.

That's my experience - I suspect I'm not alone.

Interesting breakdown in wages

"http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/december-2013/sty-earnings.html"

"Average weekly earnings including bonus payments rose by 0.9% comparing August to October 2013 with the same period a year earlier. Average weekly earnings for the private sector increased by 1.3% but average weekly earnings for the public sector fell by 0.3%."

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Agreed. But his identity was ALREADY known, on this site. Big difference.

Moreover tim was happy to comment, fairly snidely, on MY homelife - children, booze, domestic situation, etc. Generally I accept it as "tim being tim", and of course I have a journalistic profile which I reveal openly to the world, and I acknowledge that this has a price. But a few months ago he claimed I was making my daughter "live on benefits" - an allegation he later withdrew. But he overstepped.

So, just once, I showed him someone could easily google him and make him feel just a little uncomfortable in return. And now he runs away? Pfft.

Perhaps tim isn't off sulking, maybe he has just stopped believing in the Labour project? It can't be easy being a supporter with all the Labour MPs who have gone to jail for expense fiddling, seeing Unite take over the party and watching Miliband roll back all the advances of Tony Blair's New Labour. Given tim was never able to post anything positive about Ed, keeping the faith must have been a real challenge.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 wrote :

"is c Greg Dyke?"

LOL .... Er No .... ROFLOL !!!!
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    JackW said:

Is c Chris Patten?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

And wait! Britain is getting over 1000 immigrants a day, slipping over from Calais.
    1000 a day slipping in from Calais ? Not even the Daily Mail are claiming a 1/50th of that..

• Options
    FAO of Mr Smithson - Do you not realise there is going to be a polling crossover by Xmas (or was it May) which will give the Tory Party seventeen months to get their 7-8% lead. By May 2015 the economy will be booming, house price rises will be 10% annum for everyone, wages will outstrip inflation, the price of petrol will be down, the Universal Credit will have been proven to be a major success, there will be a huge fall in immigrants, Dave will have offered us an in/out referendum on Europe, interest rate will be sill be low, everyone who wants a job will get one and those that don't take one will be executed....get with the PB Hodges line. TORY MAJORITY NAILED ON!
  • Options
    JackW said:

@rcs1000 wrote :

"is c Greg Dyke?"

LOL .... Er No .... ROFLOL !!!!

I fired from the hip -become DG of BBC in 1992, and made a lot of money along the way :-)
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

JackW said:

Roger said:

Can I make it absolutely clear that Tim is not banned. He is not posting following efforts by other posters to reveal his identity.

Which posters were these then? That is despicable behaviour and should, IMO, be one of the very few things that deserves an instant ban.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

Alex Belardinelli
    @abelardinelli

Your point about falling unemployment being ??

And is it possible that Ukip might issue an economic policy not straight out of comedy central that doesn't have us rolling in the aisles crying with laughter ??

• Options
    New poll: TNS BMRB/The Herald
    Sample size: 1000
    Fieldwork: before White Paper

Net "Like"/"Dislike" (on a scale of 1 to 10, where scores of 1 to 4 equated to "dislike", 5 to 6 was "neutral", and 7 to 10 was "like)

Alex Salmond 4.8
    Nicola Sturgeon 4.8
    Alistair Darling 4.3
    Johann Lamont 4.3 (but 40% of voters do not know who she is)
    David Cameron 3.6

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-campaign-struggling-to-attract-women-voters.22987540
  • Options

FAO of Mr Smithson - Do you not realise there is going to be a polling crossover by Xmas (or was it May) which will give the Tory Party seventeen months to get their 7-8% lead. By May 2015 the economy will be booming, house price rises will be 10% annum for everyone, wages will outstrip inflation, the price of petrol will be down, the Universal Credit will have been proven to be a major success, there will be a huge fall in immigrants, Dave will have offered us an in/out referendum on Europe, interest rate will be sill be low, everyone who wants a job will get one and those that don't take one will be executed....get with the PB Hodges line. TORY MAJORITY NAILED ON!

Don't forget unemployment down too !!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Which posters were these then? That is despicable behaviour and should, IMO, be one of the very few things that deserves an instant ban.
    Everybody appears in banning mode today, and yet tim's not actually banned.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Quite right.

@Alanbrooke

That is utter rubbish. The PB gatherings attract only a small proportion of posters. Many people are not in a position to reveal their identity and anyone who attempts to do so should be banned.
  • Options
    @Lennon

Sorry not Chris Patten.
  • Options

A Con majority is certainly not a 20/1 shot. Whilst it might be a big ask, with Labour helped by the disgraceful failure to correct the quite extraordinary fact that the constituencies are systematically biased in their favour, there is simply too much uncertainty over nearly 16 months to assume that the polling won't shift substantially. Historically, in many elections not just in the UK but elsewhere (eg Germany, 2013, Scotland, 2011), shifts of 5% or more in vote shares over such periods are not uncommon - and that is without even considering the possibility of some unexpected game-changer, which in politics is always something to bear in mind when placing your bets.

Of course, that can work either way; we certainly can't discount the possibility that there could be a shift in Labour's favour. For a number of reasons, though, that is less likely than a shift in the Conservatives' favour. These reasons include (a) the economy, (b) Ed Milband, (c) a likely shift back from UKIP as the forced choice becomes more stark, (d) the tendency of oppositions to become less popular as they fill in the blank piece of paper with actual manifesto proposals

Mike has been through this ludicrous assertion time and again. It is hardly Labour's fault that the Tories pile up vast majorities in their heartlands. This is FPP - if you want PR campaign for it. Ask the Liberals about unfairness in the existing system.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"everyone who wants a job will get one and those that don't take one will be executed".....now now, get with it. There will be no unemployment. All shirkers to be shot.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The problem with these multiple threads about the Con maj price is that there are never any posters putting the counter argument - there is never a single post giving logic to the price nor backing a con maj (which has been drifting out from sub 4 to 4.2...).

There are very rarely any betting posts whatsoever in the actual threads. I would guesstimate that only about 20% of regular posters understand betting, and of those, very few are high stakes, involved punters. Most have an odd flutter and thus don't really care about value or even about logic.

• Options

TGOHF said:

"everyone who wants a job will get one and those that don't take one will be executed".....now now, get with it. There will be no unemployment. All shirkers to be shot.
    Well the first part is nearly there - so there will be nobody left to shoot :)

Rejoice Pouty - the socialist dream of full employment is nearly upon us.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite right.

@Alanbrooke

That is utter rubbish. The PB gatherings attract only a small proportion of posters. Many people are not in a position to reveal their identity and anyone who attempts to do so should be banned.
    They might attract a small proportion of posters but networks exist within PB which any half intelligent regular can use. As for blanket banning if you're that embarassed by your opinions that you won't stand behind them why on earth are you on posting on an open and public site ?
  • Options
    @Sean

I didn't say it was
    SeanT said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

I can't remember who it was who revealed tim's identity: it happened about three years ago, AND IT WASN'T ME. Capisce?
    I didn't say it was you! I merely asked the question who was responsible. They should be utterly ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    In five minutes, I shall reveal to the world SeanT's identity. I fully expect to be banned for this.
  • Options
    For those Liberals among us:

Yougov

#LIBDEM voters of #GE2010

42% now vote #LABOUR
    28% stayed #LIBDEM
    14% now vote #CONSERVATIVE
    10% vote #UKIP
    3% vote 'GREEN
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

This time next year the penny will begin to drop with quite a few PB Hodges as the realisation of the Labour percentage of 37%-40% not reducing hits home. Some will blame Cameron, some will blame Gideon. Though obviously there will be those that will still proclaim:

Swingback, swingback ........my kingdom for any swingback.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

TGOHF said:

There are very rarely any betting posts whatsoever in the actual threads. I would guesstimate that only about 20% of regular posters understand betting, and of those, very few are high stakes, involved punters. Most have an odd flutter and thus don't really care about value or even about logic.

Some truth in that but that did change as we approached the 2010 GE.

We can't all be tossing around big wagers day in day out.

As for betting - should I be laying off my Susanna Reid for Strictly and Oz 5-0 bets ?

• Options

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Listen - trying to reveal someone's identity is the lowest of the low. Many of us are simply not in a position to be able to do that. If there is any chance of it, many posters would have to leave. It's disgraceful behaviour. One of the VERY FEW things that deserves a ban IMO.
  • Options
    Unemployment fell by 99,000 between August and October to 2.39 million - the lowest figure for more than four years

More extraordinary good news and confirmation that the economy is really picking up speed.

Merry Christmas David Blanchflower.
  • Options
    I always find the forum more civilised and grown up and less aggressive and loutish without Tim. So I hope he stays away. I have no idea who he is or want to know . I just find his negativity and sneering tedious and his personal attacks on people here but more generally in politics enough of a reason to think the site should ban him
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2013
    Great article from Iain Martin about the lack of vision at the top of Govt. Howard Davies is as bad a Leader as we have ever had in charge.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100250938/to-stop-this-heathrow-madness-boris-is-just-going-to-have-to-become-prime-minister/

"The chaps in charge of government realise they have a problem. What to do? Ah … here comes a delegation of civil servants with the answer. The mandarins suggest an independent report on airport capacity – to be published after the next election (see what they did there?)

And they have identified just the chap to write it. He's a nice chap but he has been a bit down on his luck, what with having established the catastrophic Financial Services Authority, run the euro-loving CBI and then having had to step aside at the London School of Economics after rebranding it as the Libyan School of Economics. So he'll jump at this airport gig."
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

This time next year the penny will begin to drop with quite a few PB Hodges as the realisation of the Labour percentage of 37%-40% not reducing hits home. Some will blame Cameron, some will blame Gideon. Though obviously there will be those that will still proclaim:

Swingback, swingback ........my kingdom for any swingback.
    My view at the beginning of 2013 was that this would be the year the economy recovered despite the efforts of GO and that he would claim the credit for it but doesn't deserve it.

My view for 2014 is this will be the year the Labour polling slips below 35% and leaves us looking at a HP in 2015. The 38% just won't hold.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite right.

@Alanbrooke

They might attract a small proportion of posters but networks exist within PB which any half intelligent regular can use. As for blanket banning if you're that embarassed by your opinions that you won't stand behind them why on earth are you on posting on an open and public site ?
    I am not in a position to be able to reveal my identity and nor is Cyclefree. Are you saying I should quit the site unless I post publicly? If that is the consensus view, I will leave now and never return.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

As for betting - should I be laying off my Susanna Reid for Strictly and Oz 5-0 bets ?

We agree on something(I may need to have a lie down), I don't bet, I only come on here to marvel at the PB Hodges and their ignorance of polls they do not like and their belief in a Tory majority. It is quite entertaining.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Bobajob said:

Mike has been through this ludicrous assertion time and again. It is hardly Labour's fault that the Tories pile up vast majorities in their heartlands. This is FPP - if you want PR campaign for it. Ask the Liberals about unfairness in the existing system.

Yes, we have been through it many times, and still you don't seem to be able to understand that there are more than one effect, one of which is that constituencies in Labour heartlands are systematically smaller than average, thereby systematically giving Labour an advantage which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to with a more efficient vote distribution or FPP. It is that particular bias - not the more efficient vote distribution - which is a national disgrace.

For example, the average size of constituencies in Wales is 56,628 and in Scotland 65,475, whereas the average size in England is 71,858. Within England there is a similar pro-Labour bias. How anyone could possibly think that even vaguely acceptable is utterly incomprehensible (and that's even without considering the West Lothian question).
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Twelve months before the last election, the Opposition lead was around 17%.

Dead-man-walking Gordon Brown pulled it back to around 5% (the TV debates saw it slip to 7% by polling day).

So a similar swingback would put the Tories 5-7% ahead by May 2015...

FWIW, this accords with the current output of the L&N model, which generates a 35% chance of a Tory majority.

Far from being 'ludicrous', Betfair's odds seem eminently reasonable.
  • Options
    I'd be tempted but the odds are just not worth it. The economic news is getting better and better and while people generally don't like the Tories they like being better off.

As an example this morning I bet a few quid on SA winning both tests against India at 2.94, that's after they convincingly won the one day series, on which I made money on the series bet and the matches. 2-0 is now 2.1.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Great article from Iain Martin about the lack of vision at the top of Govt.

Tony Blair had plenty of that Vision thing, I'm not sure how well that turned out for the country.

• Options
    I think the tory majority price is wrong but not so wrong as to be 'ludicrous' FWIW
  • Options

Great article from Iain Martin about the lack of vision at the top of Govt. Howard Davies is as bad a Leader as we have ever had in charge.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100250938/to-stop-this-heathrow-madness-boris-is-just-going-to-have-to-become-prime-minister/

"The chaps in charge of government realise they have a problem. What to do? Ah … here comes a delegation of civil servants with the answer. The mandarins suggest an independent report on airport capacity – to be published after the next election (see what they did there?)

And they have identified just the chap to write it. He's a nice chap but he has been a bit down on his luck, what with having established the catastrophic Financial Services Authority, run the euro-loving CBI and then having had to step aside at the London School of Economics after rebranding it as the Libyan School of Economics. So he'll jump at this airport gig."

Boris is the Gazza, the Pele, the Maradona, the Suarez, the Messi, the Ronaldo - even gasp the Brian Laudrup of the political age - only he can deliver a project like the estuary airport which is totally required.

Hence why I will be putting both my kidneys on him being next Con leader.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

In five minutes, I shall reveal to the world SeanT's identity.

Which one?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Dead-man-walking Gordon Brown pulled it back to around 5% (the TV debates saw it slip to 7% by polling day).

FWIW, this accords with the current output of the L&N model, which generates a 35% chance of a Tory majority.

Major bonus for Labour there being the people who lost that 17% lead are still running the show for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Listen - trying to reveal someone's identity is the lowest of the low. Many of us are simply not in a position to be able to do that. If there is any chance of it, many posters would have to leave. It's disgraceful behaviour. One of the VERY FEW things that deserves a ban IMO.
    I've heard that time and again and yet most posters sort of know who the other person is and over time become relaxed about it. If you're not comfortable or your job depends on it them why are you on a public forum ? The longer you're on here the more you tell us about yourself.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

I'd be tempted but the odds are just not worth it. The economic news is getting better and better and while people generally don't like the Tories they like being better off.

As an example this morning I bet a few quid on SA winning both tests against India at 2.94, that's after they convincingly won the one day series, on which I made money on the series bet and the matches. 2-0 is now 2.1.

So tell me, when inflation outstrips wage rises who are these people you mention that are better off?
  • Options
    PS why is Ronnie Bigg's death getting major coverage on the BBC and other media? On Radio 4 this morning they ran their first feature after 8 o clock on him relegating the much more deserving story of the death of the doctor in Syria to second? They even had self confessed friends being interviewed FGS ? I know its newsworthy but surely a one sentence approach to announce his death would be enough for him?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Bobajob said:

No. I think Richard is correct. A Conservativ majority is more like an 11/2 shot - 20/1 it is not - for the reasons he state here and PeterC mentions.

However this is certainly longer than the current Betfair price of 4.2/4.3 suggests.

The value on the blue side has been in the constituency markets. Kingswood, Hastings and Rye, Elmet and Rothwell - All are, or have been overpriced wrt the Conservatives.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    compoouter1

'Major bonus for Labour there being the people who lost that 17% lead are still running the show for the Conservatives.'

And the key people that delivered Labour's second worst GE result are now running Labour.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

compoouter1

'Major bonus for Labour there being the people who lost that 17% lead are still running the show for the Conservatives.'

And the key people that delivered Labour's second worst GE result are now running Labour.

I didn't realise Ed Miliband was campaign manager in 2010. I apologise.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

I've heard that time and again and yet most posters sort of know who the other person is and over time become relaxed about it. If you're not comfortable or your job depends on it them why are you on a public forum ? The longer you're on here the more you tell us about yourself.
    FAIR ENOUGH. I QUIT. THE IDEA OF PEOPLE TRYING TO OUT ME (OR ANYONE ELSE) IS, FRANKLY, SICKENING. I MAY RETURN UNDER ANOTHER NAME AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, BUT THIS WILL BE THE LAST POST FROM BOBAJOB.

Moderator – this in an FYI.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

What are your other probabilities, still at 0% for Labour majority ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

I believe his last run said -20% .
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite right.

@Alanbrooke

I am not in a position to be able to reveal my identity and nor is Cyclefree. Are you saying I should quit the site unless I post publicly? If that is the consensus view, I will leave now and never return.
    That's a question you should ask yourself BaJ. But it's like saying should you stop driving because you can't accept the outside risk of being in a car accident.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013

PS why is Ronnie Bigg's death getting major coverage on the BBC and other media? On Radio 4 this morning they ran their first feature after 8 o clock on him relegating the much more deserving story of the death of the doctor in Syria to second? They even had self confessed friends being interviewed FGS ? I know its newsworthy but surely a one sentence approach to announce his death would be enough for him?

Anti-Establishment Biggs is today's Mandela.

• Options
    Sun - Ed Balls has 9 months to save job

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5330866/Ed-Balls-nine-months-save-job.html

"SHADOW chancellor Ed Balls has been given nine months to save his job, The Sun can reveal.

Senior Labour sources say party boss Ed Miliband is ready to axe his right-hand man next Autumn unless he starts winning the economic argument with George Osborne."
  • Options
    I'm Spartacus!!!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

FAIR ENOUGH. I QUIT. THE IDEA OF PEOPLE TRYING TO OUT ME (OR ANYONE ELSE) IS, FRANKLY, SICKENING. I MAY RETURN UNDER ANOTHER NAME AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, BUT THIS WILL BE THE LAST POST FROM BOBAJOB.

The PB Hodges scorched earth policy of ridding this site of anyone who doesn't agree with them continues.
  • Options
    So Plato also banned ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

I posted a few days ago...

"Applying the L&N model to IPSOS we have:-

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 7.3%
    Con seat lead 57 seats

(10000 Monte Carlo simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 99.9%
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 97.4%

Chance of a Hung Parliament: 63.5%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 36.5%
    Chance of a Labour majority: 0.0%
    "
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    I'm one of the fantasists - as Aha once said, OGH - take on me!

But I've got money to burn thanks to computerash. It's all profit for a while...

PS - I thought it was we PBblues who are always told off for being obsessed about certain posters, bit rich with the PBlefties pining for their leader on here...
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Really ? Has anyone actually tried to find out who you are ?
  • Options
    SeanT is actually Drexl Spivey, an entrepreneur from Detroit. He is no relation of Sean Thomas, a notorious misanthrope and prolific author, although he has been known to impersonate him in bars and in Internet chat rooms.

You heard it here first.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sun - Ed Balls has 9 months to save job

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5330866/Ed-Balls-nine-months-save-job.html

"SHADOW chancellor Ed Balls has been given nine months to save his job, The Sun can reveal.

Senior Labour sources say party boss Ed Miliband is ready to axe his right-hand man next Autumn unless he starts winning the economic argument with George Osborne."

Lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Strangely enough, the last thing I did before turning in last night (early hours of the morning) was to look up Wikipedia to see if Ronnie Biggs was still alive...
  • Options
    This thread is rapidly turning into that Peep Show episode here they try and get each other sectioned!!
  • Options
    where=here
  • Options
    For Stodge in the Telegraph

"Productivity - the economic output per unit of labour - rose 0.5pc between the first and second quarters of 2013. Of the 250,000 extra people in jobs in the August to October quarter, 155,000 of these were in full-time jobs. And the number of economically inactive people is falling"

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

We agree on something(I may need to have a lie down), I don't bet, I only come on here to marvel at the PB Hodges and their ignorance of polls they do not like and their belief in a Tory majority. It is quite entertaining.

ROFL - if that's why you come on here the only appropriate response would be to get a life ... and quick. Try trolling ConHome instead.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

The PB Hodges scorched earth policy of ridding this site of anyone who doesn't agree with them continues.

Really? No-ones's 'outing' Blohardbob.

This discussion has been closed.