Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation defends it methodology against Lord Ashcroft, Joh

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation defends it methodology against Lord Ashcroft, John Rentoul and YouGov’s Anthony Wells

Following publication of our latest four constituency polls for Alan Bown earlier this week, there has been considerable public discussion of the methodology we used for these polls, including specific criticisms from Anthony Wells of YouGov, Lord Ashcroft and an article by John Rentoul which lists a number of criticisms passed to him by “a Conservative source”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    first...
  • Options
    Thanks to Survation's Patrick Briône for penning this piece
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited December 2013
    Great that they take such pride in their work.

I have pointed out many times that UKIP have over performed at almost every election post 2011, yet most people on here complacently assume they will go away, with no reason other than "its what always happens"...

#heartnothead
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Will Survation be the ARG of British Politics ??
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Read the piece right through. A nicely written piece of work.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    o/t Fitch give warning about Salmond's proposed use of Sterling if he wins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25438682

Interesting point on this topic re turnover of electors.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    I have to say I am surprised to learn that Kippers have a problem with short term memory loss.

Now where did I put my spectacles?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Nicely written piece.

Second time Conservative sources are criticised for trying to rubbish polls showing they are doing particularly badly in the marginals.

Not that they are doing fantastically in the national polls compared to where they need to be.
  • Options
    Match suspended at Stoke.

Hail
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

The piece might be "nicely written" but then so is the best fiction.

By their own numbers in one third of the by-elections, the last one at Eastleigh, Survation were off the pace.

We're entitled to be cautious of Survation until they provide an extensive range of accurate polling.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Thanks for this. As it deals with people the subject of polling is seriously complex and fascinating. Physics and mathematics, on the other hand for instance, are much easier, for in their raw form, they eschew social questions altogether. In my household the one question you could ask the answer to which is as certain as the law of momentum conservation is: which party would you *not* vote for?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

Nicely written piece.

Second time Conservative sources are criticised for trying to rubbish polls showing they are doing particularly badly in the marginals.

Not that they are doing fantastically in the national polls compared to where they need to be.

SMukesh

The problem is not so much that the Conservatives are doing badly in polls carried out in marginals.

It is that marginal polls have historically underperformed national polls when predicting election results.

Why? I don't know, but it would be useful for pollsters to address this issue first.

• Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

By their own numbers in half of the by-elections, the last two, Survation were off the pace.

We're entitled to be cautious of Survation until they provide an extensive range of accurate polling.

Who was closest on the UKIP share in Eastleigh >:?
  • Options
    Another thing I noticed watching the 6 o'clock News, was that after the piece on changing laws regarding benefits for Romanian & Bulgarians from Jan 1st, David Cameron gave his soundbites, then it was Farage, not Miliband or Clegg, that was interviewed as a counter...

Would have thought that helps UKIP, would anyone argue this exposure was bad for them?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

By their own numbers in half of the by-elections, the last two, Survation were off the pace.

Who was closest on the UKIP share in Eastleigh >:?
    I was !!

ARSE, Ashcroft or Survation - No contest.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Rather than running to the media to rubbish respected pollsters, perhaps these "Conservative sources" could publish the poll showing them doing well in the marginals, the one they leaked to Dan Hodges of the Telegraph?

Assuming, of course, that such a poll ever existed.

I've asked the PCC about that.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Rather than running to the media to rubbish respected pollsters, perhaps these "Conservative sources" could publish the poll showing them doing well in the marginals, the one they leaked to Dan Hodges of the Telegraph?

Shame on Hugh!

That is like asking JackW to bare his ARSE.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Hugh said:

Assuming, of course, that such a "Conservative source" ever existed.

We've only got Rentool's word for it.

• Options
    Hugh said:

As a new poster I forgive your temerity Hugh.

Now kneel, kiss my ring and we'll say no more of the matter .....

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2013
    GeoffM said:

Hugh said:

Be that as it may - It still does that answer the queries raised by Peter Kellner, or Lord Ashcroft.

{edited for sausage fingers]
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited December 2013
    Rather than attempting to dismiss the results of polls that show them doing badly, unnamed “Conservative source”s might be better off actually taking notice of how much they are struggling versus Labour in marginal seats and taking action to address their unpopularity.

How ironic its the two Tory stooge pollsters (Yougov and Ashcroft/Populus who both heavily downgrade the UKIP vote) that are getting pissy. They would look far less ridiculous if they took Patrick Brione's advice.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

GeoffM said:

Hugh said:

Be that as it may - It still does that answer the queries raised by Peter Kellner, or Lord Ashcroft.

Apologies for any confusion resulting from my comment - I was specifically challenging Hugh (as quoted) and SMukesh for taking the "Conservative source" comment as their attack line.

I don't disagree with the validity questions themselves and I salute Survation for offering our site such a well argued rebuttal.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Hi Hugh, take it you are a labour man?

Any view on why London's schools have improved? What do you think of George Osborne, and does it matter that David Cameron went to Eton / seems to be losing his hair?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2013
    see above

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    perdix said:

isam said:

Another thing I noticed watching the 6 o'clock News, was that after the piece on changing laws regarding benefits for Romanian & Bulgarians from Jan 1st, David Cameron gave his soundbites, then it was Farage, not Miliband or Clegg, that was interviewed as a counter...

Would have thought that helps UKIP, would anyone argue this exposure was bad for them?

The Beeb will give space to anyone who they feel will damage the Tories most.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Question for the lawyers: How does a 35-year sentence translate into a 29-year minimum non-parole period? What happened to the usual 50% remission?
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Question for the lawyers: How does a 35-year sentence translate into a 29-year minimum non-parole period? What happened to the usual 50% remission?

It is going to be 19 years in the clink, 16 on license.

Watkins was jailed by Mr Justice Royce for 29 years. He will serve at least two thirds of that before the parole board can decide if he should be released. If he is released early, he will serve the rest of the jail term on licence. But the judge stipulated he will serve an extra six years on licence on top of that, bringing the total sentence to 35 years
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Hugh said:

Apologies for any confusion resulting from my comment - I was specifically challenging Hugh (as quoted) and SMukesh for taking the "Conservative source" comment as their attack line.

I don't disagree with the validity questions themselves and I salute Survation for offering our site such a well argued rebuttal.

No confusion GeoffM : ) - I was highlighting the inherent flaw behind their thinking.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Hugh said:

Similar sources have been briefing Spectator Coffee House. Izzy Hardman has done an article too. It has the inept fingerprints of the Tory's very own David Brent (Shapps) all over it.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    A detailed explanation/defence by Survation of its new methodology. Now can someone confirm just how close Survation has got to accurately predicting any election result?
  • Options
    "Averaging the results of our own five polls in marginal seats so far (not Bognor or Folkestone which are “safe” Conservative seats) shows a Labour lead over the Conservatives of…. 14 points."

Bognor: -14
    Folkestone: -14

Looks like the Conservatives are doing worse than they are on average everywhere....
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Hugh said:

No confusion GeoffM : ) - I was highlighting the inherent flaw behind their thinking.
    Thanks for the response SimonStClare. I have enjoyed reading the thinking behind the questions and the thinking behind the response. I think I've learned and/or reinforced my understanding of the workings of these things.

A shame there's not been more on-topic analysis in the Comments here though. Vaguely surprised at that, considering the audience.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

fp Cornish thread

FWIW my contacts in the Kremlin of Cornish politics tell me that the LDs are struggling across the county. So they will suffer. But I don't see UKIP winning anything, it is too soon - however they will eat into Tory votes. Meanwhile, Labour are crippled in Cornwall.

Therefore, my best guess is that the seats will remain exactly the same.

Finally - a charismatic fringe or independent candidate could do well in Cornwall. There is a sod you all attitude. Mebyon Kernow are not benefiting as they are seen, by too many, as mad greeny lefties.

You don't think the Tories have a chance of winning St Ives and/or St Austell from the LDs?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Finally - a charismatic fringe or independent candidate could do well in Cornwall. There is a sod you all attitude. Mebyon Kernow are not benefiting as they are seen, by too many, as mad greeny lefties.

A charismatic fringe candidate? With a connection to Cornwall?
    Can anyone think of someone who would fit that bill? :)

• Options
    SeanT said:

fp Cornish thread

FWIW my contacts in the Kremlin of Cornish politics tell me that the LDs are struggling across the county. So they will suffer. But I don't see UKIP winning anything, it is too soon - however they will eat into Tory votes. Meanwhile, Labour are crippled in Cornwall.

The late historian AL Rowse was sometimes called the Greatest Living Cornishman. Who , in your opinion , is his successor ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Did anyone read the Watkins sentencing?

Crikey.

I won't even link to it, as it is so disturbing and abhorrent.

Again it touches on the death penalty debate. It's a shame Watkins doesn't live in the Yemen then we could zap him with a drone. Probably save money in the long run.

Careful... people will say you laughed when Derek Bentley was hanged & Lenny from Mice and Men died.

Hmmm "Hi Sam" and "Camerons hair neither here nor there"....
  • Options
    my prediction power is on the wane once again.... 0-0 pens anyone?
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Thanks to Mr. Briône. It's always good to hear from pollsters themselves.

Mr. T, you don't happen to speak Cornish, do you? I had a vague notion that Kimbra meant Wales or Welsh in Cornish, but the (admittedly limited) Wiktionary entry for Cornish doesn't seem to have the word.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

fp Cornish thread

The late historian AL Rowse was sometimes called the Greatest Living Cornishman. Who , in your opinion , is his successor ?
    My dad, of course. Then me. As it should be.
    I've been reading your dad's potted history, he's had quite a slice of life in his own way.
  • Options
    Never in doubt......
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited December 2013
    ::Buffs nails::

TheScreamingEagles 7:00PM

For Scrapheap, Just backed Adebayor to be first scorer tonight at 11/2
  • Options

Never in doubt......

Great call.
  • Options

Never in doubt......

What's the score ? ;)
  • Options
    Now to back Spurs to win the Rumbelows Cup outright.
  • Options
    The ratings agency Fitch has warned that plans for an independent Scotland to continue use of the pound would be unstable.

Drawing on Eurozone experience, it said a shared currency without shared fiscal and banking union could risk "high volatility and market turbulence".

Its report also said the credit profile of the residual UK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) would be neutral.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, whilst that story's a blow for Yes, it is a bit of an ursine-woodland defecatory report, given the travails of the eurozone. WHich is, of course, still unresolved.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Again it touches on the death penalty debate. It's a shame Watkins doesn't live in the Yemen then we could zap him with a drone. Probably save money in the long run.

Careful... people will say you laughed when Derek Bentley was hanged & Lenny from Mice and Men died.

Indeed, on both points.

There's an incredible story of Establishment pedophilia, and ensuing cover-up, at Cleggy's old prep school - in the Times today. Sometimes I wonder if the David Icke-view of pedophilia, as a vast elite conspiracy, has some merit.
    So do I, I know what I think.
  • Options

Thank you so much TSE...

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

The ratings agency Fitch has warned that plans for an independent Scotland to continue use of the pound would be unstable.

Drawing on Eurozone experience, it said a shared currency without shared fiscal and banking union could risk "high volatility and market turbulence".

Its report also said the credit profile of the residual UK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) would be neutral.

You're rather missed the point Mr Eagles, Salmond says Scotland will be AAA rated so Fitch will just have to award it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Deafbloke said:

"Averaging the results of our own five polls in marginal seats so far (not Bognor or Folkestone which are “safe” Conservative seats) shows a Labour lead over the Conservatives of…. 14 points."

Bognor: -14
    Folkestone: -14

Looks like the Conservatives are doing worse than they are on average everywhere....

This is what leads credibility to this theory that Conservatives are doing badly in the marginals-that two polls with different methodologies by two different pollsters are spookily showing the exact same result that the Tories are trailing by 14 points in the marginals.

Now it may be that they are wrong and the Tories` own polling showing them leading by two points in the marginals is correct .But we have to see the poll to verify and criticise the methodology.

It`s quite funny of the Tories to criticise Survation`s methodology without first releasing their own poll.
  • Options

Thank you so much TSE...

You forgot the OSR.
  • Options
    May I be the first to call for the sacking of Tim Sherwood....
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

There's an incredible story of Establishment pedophilia, and ensuing cover-up, at Cleggy's old prep school - in the Times today. Sometimes I wonder if the David Icke-view of pedophilia, as a vast elite conspiracy, has some merit.

Icke could have a point... He was one of the first to call Savile

Nick Cleggs old head teacher who was today convicted of child sex offences... Was that th same bloke that ch 4 did a program a few years ago?
  • Options
    POTHBWAS.
  • Options

It's all gone wrong since I decided to invest my Adebayor winnings on Spurs winning the competition outright
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013

It's all gone wrong since I decided to invest my Adebayor winnings on Spurs winning the competition outright
    Welcome to the spurs life!!! Losing to the spanners reserves...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    The point about the Survation constituency polls is they found Con doing much worse than nationally in every seat polled - including Bognor and Folkestone which are both safe Con seats.

OK, they didn't poll Lab seats but it isn't credible that Con are doing much worse than nationally in both safe Con seats and marginal seats.

If above was true they would be having to massively outperform in Lab seats and that isn't credible.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

The point about the Survation constituency polls is they found Con doing much worse than nationally in every seat polled - including Bognor and Folkestone which are both safe Con seats.

OK, they didn't poll Lab seats but it isn't credible that Con are doing much worse than nationally in both safe Con seats and marginal seats.

If above was true they would be having to massively outperform in Lab seats and that isn't credible.

What we really need is Survation Westminster VI poll.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

Those who boarded at late 1960s prep schools will find very little of surprise in the story of what happened at Caldicott.

Of course the devil is in the detail: it is that which will distinguish pervasive culture and criminal acts.

• Options
    Oh my !
  • Options

Welcome to the spurs life!!! Losing to the spanners reserves...
    I'm backing Southampton on Sunday.
  • Options

Oops !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oops !
    Still a profitable night overall.
  • Options
    Good night.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

Those who boarded at late 1960s prep schools will find very little of surprise in the story of what happened at Caldicott.

Of course the devil is in the detail: it is that which will distinguish pervasive culture and criminal acts.

Not just in the 60s.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Teacher+in+porn+shame;+COURT+TOLD+OF+'BROKEN+MAN'+WHO+WAS+HOUNDED...-a060237811

The bit about him being well liked is quite genuine and true by the way.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MikeL said:

Interesting point.Bognor and Folkestone were chosen for polling by UKIP because they did quite well in Council elections there.So perhaps they don`t give the whole picture of how the Tories are doing in their safe seats.

One more seat left to publish in the Bown series of polls.May I suggest it could be Boston showing a UKIP win.
  • Options
    Isn't pedophilia the US spelling?

On a lighter note, it sounds ghastly outside (cold, wind, lashing rain).
  • Options
    I'm tim.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @SeanT

Perhaps he means it is merely "in depth" classical Greek study?
  • Options
    I AM TIM!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Interesting piece, thanks. I quite like Survation's methodology, after all if you want accurate polling you need to capture the mood, which at the moment has to include Ukip.

Of course the highlight from these polls is the high Ukip scores, and everyone is saying this is hurting the Tories most. But looking at the numbers it is more likely to my eyes that (depending on how the election goes) they will take more votes away from Labour. Or in other words Labour will not put on enough votes to win seats.

Let's look at Great Yarmouth, South Thanet and Crewe & Nantwich.

In all the seats the percentage of Ukip supporters saying they would want to keep out Miliband even if this means voting Conservative is higher than the number of people who say they have switched from the blues to the purples.

And in the first two seats it is clear that Labour are underperforming. Nationally the party is up 9 points on 2010 and yet in Great Yarmouth they are only up 3.6% and in South Thanet they are only up 3.7%. This is enough to put them in the lead in the Survation polls, but only because the Tory vote has declined so much, which it might not do so on polling day.

Crewe & Nantwich is different because there doesn't appear to be a big Ukip presence. The Tory vote has decreased less but Labour have picked up more votes, putting on 11.5%.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead back down to four points: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 11%
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 44s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead back down to four points: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 11%
  • Options

MikeL said:

Maybe they did one along with the House of Lords poll for the Mirror - will be worth looking at the tables when they come out.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

Um, are you saying pedophilia is "non-criminal" if it is part of a "pervasive culture", as existed at Caldicott?

I hope not.
    You have to define paedophilia, Sean.

Undoubtedly we were taught by teachers who were known by parents, pupils and headmaster alike to have a sexual interest in pre-pubescent boys.

Boys between 7 and 13 attended the school so the passage of puberty was much discussed and masturbation was occasionally in the company of other boys but never with teachers present.

Far more physical contact between master and boy was permissable and acceptable as part of the culture than is allowed today.

The Caldicott article refers to the convicted Headmaster's time as a Sports Master and his interest in 12-13 year old boys of athletic abilities.

This is not in the least bit surprising and such masters would often talk openly in praise of "beautiful specimens". If the boys were bright they would be said to be an "ideal combination of Athenian and Spartan ideals".

Most boys were aware of such unnatural interest and many courted it and boasted about the attention they received.

Apart from incidents such as hugging a fully clothed boy or Masters talking lewdly about erections and sexual attraction, I witnessed nothing that went beyond such limits.

• Options

MikeL said:

Maybe they did one along with the House of Lords poll for the Mirror - will be worth looking at the tables when they come out.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

fp Cornish thread

My dad, of course. Then me. As it should be.
    I think Luke Clarteris deserves an honourable mention...the giant sod.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

I AM TIM!

No you aren't.

• Options
    @GeoffM

Yes I am......Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

Um, are you saying pedophilia is "non-criminal" if it is part of a "pervasive culture", as existed at Caldicott?

I hope not.

Undoubtedly we were taught by teachers who were known by parents, pupils and headmaster alike to have a sexual interest in pre-pubescent boys.

Boys between 7 and 13 attended the school so the passage of puberty was much discussed and masturbation was occasionally in the company of other boys but never with teachers present.

Far more physical contact between master and boy was permissable and acceptable as part of the culture than is allowed today.

The Caldicott article refers to the convicted Headmaster's time as a Sports Master and his interest in 12-13 year old boys of athletic abilities.

This is not in the least bit surprising and such masters would often talk openly in praise of "beautiful specimens". If the boys were bright they would be said to be an "ideal combination of Athenian and Spartan ideals".

Most boys were aware of such unnatural interest and many courted it and boasted about the attention they received.

Apart from incidents such as hugging a fully clothed boy or Masters talking lewdly about erections and sexual attraction, I witnessed nothing that went beyond such limits.

Sweet Jesus.

• Options
    Hugh said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

I hope not.

Far more physical contact between master and boy was permissable and acceptable as part of the culture. The Caldicott article refers to the convicted Headmaster's time as a Sports Master and his interest in 12-13 year old boys of athletic abilities.

Many boys were aware of such unnatural interest and many courted it and boasted about the attention they received.

Bloody hell.

I'll second that tim
  • Options
    @Hugh

"Rugger"...."Bu**er""?,

It's an easy mistake?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@GeoffM

Yes I am......Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

No, you want room 12A, next door.

• Options
    @Sean, you may wish to check out the front page of tomorrow's Times.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    MikeL said:

Wouldn't it credibly be both if Ukip are being consistently under polled nationally and the potential Ukip vote effected the Tory vote more - even if the split was 60:40 Tory vs ex-Labour votes the Tory polling would be inflated everywhere.
  • Options
    There have been some misinformed comments on the Watkins case. He will serve a minimum of nineteen years in custody, but no more than 29 years. He will remain on licence until December 2048. He will also be subject to the notification requirements for the rest of his life. This is an extended sentence: a hybrid between a determinate and an indeterminate sentence. It should be kept in mind that the starting point for an ordinary murder is life with a minimum of fifteen years. When this is appreciated, the sentence is in fact by no means lenient.
  • Options
    @SeanT

"Which, of course, is seriously criminal and very wrong. Right? "

Depends how well connected you are? (and I mean socially, not to the boys......though? on the other hand?...)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 44s

The daily YouGov is becoming a bit of a bore. Do they even ask searching questions, or is it just perfunctory? They would do themselves, and us a favour if they pared their poll down to one a week.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

I hope not.

Ohhhkayyyy...... I know there was a pederastic, pseudoHellenic culture at public schools, in the past, and we are looking at history through the moral prism of the present... which can warp things.....

BUT the Times report goes way beyond what you describe: it details sodomy and oral sex, between 11 year old boys and 36 year old teachers, and lots of it, too.

Which, of course, is seriously criminal and very wrong. Right?
    I can't say it never happened Sean but I was never aware of any such acts taking place in any school I attended. Suppressed and controlled sexual desire and discussion, yes: practice, no.

Your description of the culture as "pederastic" and "pseudoHellenic" is spot on but there was always a heavy dose of irony and parody in its deployment. The dangers of such a culture is that it stretches the limits towards temptation and it relies wholly on individual self-restraint to remain safe.

Most pupils attending prep and public schools will know of masters who suddenly disappeared in mid-term causing great speculation as to cause. The incidences were very rare but played a great role in the myths of boarding.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Avery Of course the Ancient Greeks also thought it perfectly natural for more than scholastic relations to take place between master and pupil!
  • Options
    I'm glad my parents couldn't bear to be without me, and just had me privately educated and not to a boarding school.
  • Options
    @HYUFD

Beware a Greek master bearing vaseline?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited December 2013
    AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

I hope not.

Ohhhkayyyy...... I know there was a pederastic, pseudoHellenic culture at public schools, in the past, and we are looking at history through the moral prism of the present... which can warp things.....

BUT the Times report goes way beyond what you describe: it details sodomy and oral sex, between 11 year old boys and 36 year old teachers, and lots of it, too.

Your description of the culture as "pederastic" and "pseudoHellenic" is spot on but there was always a heavy dose of irony and parody in its deployment. The dangers of such a culture

Creating a general culture like that is also a good way for any paedophiles to mask their abuse. It would be much easier to convince a teenager that being abused was normal if they saw similar behaviour going on around them.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    I think its simple, either these individual seat polls are wrong or the national polls are wrong. The tories would need to be on a national figure of 25-27% for these seat polls to be correct. Either that or the tories have increased support significantly in labour strongholds. Is that credible? The thing with GE polls, we wont know who is right until May 2015 and by then I am sure the polls will look very different.
  • Options
    Speaking of retired posters does anyone else remember 'bally eric'? He was fairly acerbic - not quite tim levels but not far off!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    My old prep school headmaster was also charged with interfering with boarders (although I was a day pupil) but he was found innocent at trial
  • Options
    @Smukesh: See Mike L's post if you need it spelt out.

@TSE last national Survation (25/10) had c29 l35 ld12 UKIP17.

Conservatives must be doing really well in Labour's heartlands to balance this out if we are to believe it.

I see that Anthony wells made the same point on UKPR back when the polls came out; it simply isn't answered above.
  • Options
    Deafbloke said:

@Smukesh: See Mike L's post if you need it spelt out.

@TSE last national Survation (25/10) had c29 l35 ld12 UKIP17.

Conservatives must be doing really well in Labour's heartlands to balance this out if we are to believe it.

I see that Anthony wells made the same point on UKPR back when the polls came out; it simply isn't answered above.

Con gain Bootle.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Crikey.

Indeed, on both points.

I hope not.

I can't say it never happened Sean but I was never aware of any such acts taking place in any school I attended. Suppressed and controlled sexual desire and discussion, yes: practice, no.

Your description of the culture as "pederastic" and "pseudoHellenic" is spot on but there was always a heavy dose of irony and parody in its deployment. The dangers of such a culture is that it stretches the limits towards temptation and it relies wholly on individual self-restraint to remain safe.

Most pupils attending prep and public schools will know of masters who suddenly disappeared in mid-term causing great speculation as to cause. The incidences were very rare but played a great role in the myths of boarding.

That's very candid and enlightening. Brave of you to be so honest. I must admit I am shocked that parents - even in the distant 1960s - would happily let their sons board at a school with known pedophile teachers.

I'd be more likely to firebomb a school where teachers menaced my, say, 11 year old daughter, rather than pay them to educate her.

I agree

Waiting for several posters to attack Sean for wanting more than a custodial sentence for certain crimes, possible smearing of his views etc etc

Or not, if they're cowardly hypocrites...
This discussion has been closed.