Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Russia Report doesn’t look like a damp squib

12346»

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Who here has played Civilisation V? Interfering in elections is a standard game mechanic...

Civ3 is so much better. But it doesn’t work any more ☹️
    I'm with you on that one.
    I have Civ 5 and Civ 6. I prefer 5 - the extra complication of religion is one too many variables for my brain to handle.
    I'm sure it is actually crap now, but my nostalgic mind pines for Alpha Centauri. WIth the Crossfire expansion.
    Colonisation....

(The game!)
    Just a shame the gameplay forces you into genocide for the native Americans in order to boost your army’s skill levels.
    That explains why I could never beat it at higher difficulty levels!
    It’s possibly to pretty much always win so long as none of the other colonising nations declare independence first.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Bugger. The one significant improvement of lockdown reversed.
    You could just do what I do and don't eat at them
    Well, on a personal level that’s acceptable. Indeed, I haven’t set foot in one in 18 years.

But whatever food substitutes they supply are to put it mildly less than optimal for the nation’s health.
    Are we not always being told people are living too long? Studies have shown those that live healthily cost more in terms of health care
    What a vile post.
    Oh dear does repeating what the left and right have both said as an excuse for raising pension ages upset you mr battery? hands you a kleenex
    What you said is that people that people should eat McDonalds as it will mean they live less long and that's a good thing. You're wishing an early death on people.

Vile.

P.S. Thought you weren't responding anymore?
    I never said people should eat mcDonalds I said I avoided it. Show me where I encouraged people to eat mcDonalds? I merely implied if people want to eat it let them
    Its funny how at the lowest fast food chain you can eat them as in Eat McDonalds or I am going to eat KFC but go just one rung higher and you cannot eat them as in I am going to eat Aberdeen Steak House or going to eat Frankie and Bennys just doesn't make sense.
    Isn’t it “eat a MaccyD” or “eat a KFC”

It’s a recognition that they are a synthetic, homogenised product that masquerades as food (in the way Jacob’s Creek pretends to be wine). At least with Aberdeen Steak House or Garfunkel’s you’re getting real food
    Well, I have long had a soft spot for a McDonald's. The coffee is better than the coffee chains and less than half the price. I am particularly fond of a sausage egg McMuffin for a breakfast treat occasionally.

Last time I had KFC it was horribly greasy, so put me right off, and in any case I am not so keen in ch8cken in any form.
    Cunning Foxy claims to have no interest in chicken. Hmmmm...

There are worse ingredients than McDs on the market. I doubt KFC chicken passes my personal animal welfare standards.
  • I thought it was clear by my comment, I didn't mean foreign people that live in this country, I meant people who live abroad, buy property in this country that they never live in. Often it's used for money laundering.

I thought based on my post history that would be relatively clear that I didn't mean foreigners can't buy housing in general but if was unclear I apologise.

I'm off to bed now
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    philiph said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Well, on a personal level that’s acceptable. Indeed, I haven’t set foot in one in 18 years.

But whatever food substitutes they supply are to put it mildly less than optimal for the nation’s health.
    Are we not always being told people are living too long? Studies have shown those that live healthily cost more in terms of health care
    What a vile post.
    Oh dear does repeating what the left and right have both said as an excuse for raising pension ages upset you mr battery? hands you a kleenex
    What you said is that people that people should eat McDonalds as it will mean they live less long and that's a good thing. You're wishing an early death on people.

Vile.

I never said people should eat mcDonalds I said I avoided it. Show me where I encouraged people to eat mcDonalds? I merely implied if people want to eat it let them
    Its funny how at the lowest fast food chain you can eat them as in Eat McDonalds or I am going to eat KFC but go just one rung higher and you cannot eat them as in I am going to eat Aberdeen Steak House or going to eat Frankie and Bennys just doesn't make sense.

It’s a recognition that they are a synthetic, homogenised product that masquerades as food (in the way Jacob’s Creek pretends to be wine). At least with Aberdeen Steak House or Garfunkel’s you’re getting real food
    Well, I have long had a soft spot for a McDonald's. The coffee is better than the coffee chains and less than half the price. I am particularly fond of a sausage egg McMuffin for a breakfast treat occasionally.

Last time I had KFC it was horribly greasy, so put me right off, and in any case I am not so keen in ch8cken in any form.

There are worse ingredients than McDs on the market. I doubt KFC chicken passes my personal animal welfare standards.
    The chicken is dead, for a start.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    edited July 2020
    IanB2 said:

philiph said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

What a vile post.

Vile.

Yes, takes away all the fun...

Just need to watch out for kimono wearing Remaniacs. .
    edited July 2020
    IanB2 said:

philiph said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

What a vile post.

Vile.

For a start it was an egg, then alive .....

Assumption the egg comes before the chicken
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Charles said:

I'd put a massive tax on foreign ownership of housing

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/annual-tax-on-enveloped-dwellings-the-basics
    Good start, although it doesn't seem to be doing enough. More can be done to resolve this problem.

I take the points about trade deficit but if the Government isn't going to start getting a lot more houses built we're going to have an endless short supply.

It's a real scandal that young people cannot afford to buy a house.

Of course the reasons for needing to buy a house in a certain place are important, trying to get people away from London is a good starting point. Perhaps corona might help with that.
    I am not sure that you are taking the trade deficit point. Every year for more than 20 years now we consume more than we produce. We don’t save or invest enough and our governments add to the problem by borrowing. This creates a trade deficit. That has to be matched by a capital surplus of the same amount, that is we need to sell enough assets to pay for the consumption.

If we don’t sell them houses what are we going to sell them? Factories? Utilities? Other assets on which we will pay “rent” such as nuclear power plants? This is not a free choice. We either live differently and save more or we sell assets. Speculative flats in London seem to me a relatively harmless way of paying for this self indulgence.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I thought it was clear by my comment, I didn't mean foreign people that live in this country, I meant people who live abroad, buy property in this country that they never live in. Often it's used for money laundering.

I thought based on my post history that would be relatively clear that I didn't mean foreigners can't buy housing in general but if was unclear I apologise.

I'm off to bed now

So, I think it’s one in twenty UK households own a property abroad ( I’m sure someone can dig up the actual stats); they don’t live there so that’s them stuffed.

It’s this kind of thinking (eg ban foreigners owning property) that has the Tories on 40/45% still when the Govt is frankly gaffetastic. Why? Because millions are scared shitless by this kind of barking lefty economic lunacy mixed in with a good dose of “we hate the West and all it stands for”.

Sir Keir strikes me as a decent chap. I wouldn’t lie awake at night worrying about him, but he has the Augean stables to cleanse of crap that surrounds him still.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Who here has played Civilisation V? Interfering in elections is a standard game mechanic...

Civ3 is so much better. But it doesn’t work any more ☹️
    Civ 3 works fine charles get it off steam
    Not for a Mac 😞

But I’m surprised you’re comfortable with Steam harvesting all your data
    I mentioned it was available on steam not that I used steam :)
    Trying to sucker me into the dark side 😜
    Are you allowed to refer to the dark side anymore?
    Is that anti-Jedi? I lose track these days
    IANAE but possibly anti-Sith?
    Who? I’m afraid I’ve only ever watched the original 3 movies and even those not since I was about 12
    The baddies.
    New play area open to replace this one that was ravaged by intollerence and swearing earlier
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

Goodwin makes a lot of very good points in that video I linked.

To be honest though, I'm not sure Labour can ever win on culture, I think it's an unwinnable war from their perspective, with any MP they have I can't think of any MP that can out-culture the Tories.

They can likely win on economic issues and this is why I suspect, Blair has given the strong advice to avoid the culture war altogether.

Goodwin also makes the point on Brexit and how that was a disaster for Labour in terms of backing Remain but in truth I think Labour was doomed whatever position it took, with Corbyn still the leader. In 2017 he points out their fudge worked but in 2019 it clearly did not. I don't think Labour would have done any better if it had tacked to full on Leave and stuck with it, or full on Remain. I think the election was doomed from when Johnson became the leader.

The biggest issues for Labour were: Corbyn remaining the leader and all the problems that has caused and the election being allowed to be called. To be fair to Labour, I believe it was the SNP that eventually allowed it through.

I've said many times that I'm trying my best to educate myself on this topic as clearly in a historic sense I've failed badly to judge the public mood and in response to that what Labour should do. So it's important for me - and I think others of my naturally liberal persuasion - to really learn the difficult lessons.

Re culture. Not for now.
    I am old enough to remember the "Loony Left" of the GLC in the early eighties. A stick to beat Labour with.
    Come 1997 it was the Tories who lòoked out of step with the prevailing times.
    Now, in 2020 almost all of those Loony policies are mainstream and uncontroversial.
    After 18 years (97 to15) of metropolitan milquetoast liberalism the pendulum has not surprisingly swung back.
    It will do again.
This discussion has been closed.