Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Being an Anti Vaxxer is something people indulge in when they’

Comments

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Alistair said:

OllyT said:
    A massive Ohio GOP corruption scandal has just broken. FBI arrests of senior politicians, Companies being subpoena'd, the works.
    Ah, I'd seen that but hadn't registered that it was the Ohio GOP.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

kjh said:

Toms said:

kjh said:

Toms said:

Andrew Wakefield now claiming that coronavirus is a hoax.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12149075/andrew-wakefield-claiming-coronavirus-is-a-hoax/

Then he is falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded room. Again.

Consider smallpox. Using cowpox, or its later refinements, may have been the 1st vaccine. It saved millions from death or disfiguration. It's now history.

Or how about polio? I knew people who had to live in an iron lung. My brother had it, but was unaffected after a stay in the hospital. I believe, owing to a benighted core of people, it may still not be eradicated.

I had a case of measles that nearly felled me. Now we have a well tested triple vaccine, but owing to the aforementioned benighted, it still lurks and damages kids.

But, if people will believe the world was created 6000 yeas ago and/or vote for Trump we must acknowledge the limitless malleability of the human brain.
    I would love to know what actually happens to these people. It is clearly not just people who are stupid. Wakefield was clearly not an idiot and he is not the only one. We can all think of people in the public eye who have gone full on weird.

When Plato started posting odd stuff I started to follow her on Twitter and then Gab when she got banned from twitter. The stuff was absolutely bonkers. One that springs to mind is the conspiracy theories on CNN broadcasts being faked. The stuff that was identified make the moon landings not happening look positively sane in terms of the effort CNN would have had to put together to fake stuff that didn't need faking.

Yet she didn't post this stuff earlier. It strikes me that it is very similar to cult behaviour, but what makes someone susceptible to a cult?
    In schools, if not also at home, kids should be taught literacy, numeracy and scepticism. If I were a school teacher I'd give 'em an article once a week to criticise. And maybe I'd build on that in other ways.

As
    Harry Truman might say: "I'm from Missouri show me".
    I think that is very sensible, but something happens at some point to certain people who do actually challenge stuff but in ludicrous ways (find bizarre reasons to negate evidence eg the CNN stuff) yet accept stuff that is clearly demonstrably nonsense.

There is challenging and challenging. How do you respond to someone who says 'show me it wasn't the lizards that did it'

40 odd years ago (it is that much printed on my mind) I was waiting to meet up with a girlfriend on Tottenham Court Road when I was approached by someone doing a survey. I was early so said ok. We went into a shop front where many were doing the survey. Afterwards there was an interview. At this point it became obvious this was a conversion exercise into some sort of cult/con. I was so angry I let rip and stormed out. I was also angry with myself that I got suckered in to it to that point, although there was nothing to suggest it was a cult/con until the interview when it became obvious very quickly. I wondered how often they were successful.
    The Scientologists were pretty active then in that area. It was probably them.
    Pretty sure it was. Was it a couple of hundred yards up from Oxford Street, near that big empty space on the West side?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    DavidL said:

Interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53500449

The "anomaly" of diplomatic immunity to be amended. Surprising concession by the US.

Fair play. Good effort by Johnson and Raab, who were entertaining the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in London yesterday.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

This FT opinion piece has received more than 1000 comments. Must be something of a record in recent times. This is a topic that clearly engages an important demographic, and they are not happy bunnies. Johnson is pretty much universally considered to be making a total cluster**** of this issue.

‘Scotland may be the price of Boris Johnson’s place in history’
    - UK prime minister will have to fight to save the Union from himself

...Mr Johnson helped cause the problem. The 2014 independence referendum should have killed the issue for a generation. But Brexit, which Scotland voted against, revived it. Scots then saw Mr Johnson topple Theresa May, because her approach prioritised saving the Union...

...He is now discussing a Scottish tour but this might go down as well as a royal progress by the conquering knights of Edward I. Mr Johnson is, in the words of one Unionist, “irredeemably toxic to Scots”.

...One leading unionist observes: “I am very pessimistic. The only real grounds for optimism is that people in London are now very worried and that the cabinet office is getting engaged.” Another adds: “London has now seen what they are dealing with. The SNP are not the Liberal Democrats.”

...UK dealings with the devolved administrations are characterised by an almost colonial mindset and need a rethink. One former Downing Street staffer said: “This is not just about politicians. Whitehall also too often treats the first ministers of Scotland and Wales like regional mayors rather than the leaders of countries.” 

...This will only get worse as the US trade talks reach a head. With vocal Scottish opposition to weakening food standards, Mr Johnson may be forced to choose between shoring up the Union and the prize of a US trade deal.

That Unionists are waking up to the danger does not mean they are any closer to finding solutions. Most agree that they must find “an emotional argument” for the union. One also argues for small signals like changing the name of the Bank of England to the UK Central Bank.

...Generationally and politically the tide appears to be flowing towards independence. Mr Johnson’s temptation will be to smother Scotland with cash, and hope to prevent an SNP majority next year...

...Mr Johnson is drawn to such brinkmanship and sets great store in his political charm, but he knows his Brexit vision has powered the nationalist surge. If Scotland goes, it will be a calamity he has largely visited upon himself. And history will not be kind.

https://www.ft.com/content/6929f1ca-69e7-419e-90b5-ca08a423004c

45% of Scots voted Yes to independence in 2014, on the latest polling this year 43 to 50% of Scots would vote Yes including Don't Knows.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_second_Scottish_independence_referendum#Opinion_polling

So really Brexit has not made that much difference and we know Boris respects the fact 2014 was a 'once in a generation referendum' anyway
    45% of Scots did not vote Yes - 45% of those voting did. Which means that your figures are not comparable as you are including DKs. And that Wiki page is out of date, it doesn't include recent polling.
    It does include recent polling, no poll this year has had Yes over 50% including don't knows and that goes right up to polling from the last month.

As Quebec showed in 1995 don't knows tend to go No
    throw in the dead as NO next no doubt
    Do you think yes/no will be replaced with leave/remain next time?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

jayfdee said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

UK also has the advantage of being the world's second largest RHD market - concentrating all RHD production in two or three factories (UK, JP, AU or SA) also allows for extra efficiencies in all the others.

LHD/RHD production isn't a big deal for Telsa (or other EV manufacturers). The firewall and dash are the same and there is no IC powertrain to get in the way of the steering column.

The best thing the UK government could do to attract Telsa would be to not legislate any accessibility standards on commercial EV charging so the non-Tesla charging landscape remains fragmented and user hostile.
    Did you get your Taycan?

Yes, AIUI the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is completely crap in the UK. The manufacturers and government all need to bang their heads together to get it sorted quickly.
    Ecotricity seem to have a monopoly on the motorway services, they are terrible and ned to be removed.
    Tesla have a good infrastructure of superchargers, but yesterday I was parked next to a Tesla , we were both on 50Kw chargers, the Tesla was painfully slow to charge at about 15KWh, I was getting 45 KWh.
    kW! Not Kw or KWh!

Sorry, it’s a Physics teacher instinct.
    Students really do near to be aware that KJ and kJ are very, very different things.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

MaxPB said:

And yet we're rewarding them with inflation busting pay rises. Rewards for their failure and destroying the education of millions of children because the unions decided to hold the nation to ransom.

It's time for the government to order them back to work fully in mid August and get all children back to school.
    At my nephews school, the start of term in September is being delayed by two days for two Inset days
    That is one fewer then we have in normal years.
    There are 5 INSET days spread out throughout the school year, it is normally up to the LA when they occur. I would suspect they are allowing this "extra" day to help schools make special arrangements.
    There are two things that annoy about Inset days

1) You are unable to take your child out a school for a holiday but schools can pick and choose Inset days

2) Teachers have the most holiday out of any profession, maybe have slightly less holiday and do what needs to be done on Inset days on those days. An Inset day means that children are not receiving an education that day.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Sandpit said:

Fair play. Good effort by Johnson and Raab, who were entertaining the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in London yesterday.

Sort of...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1285891258305720320
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319

kjh said:

Toms said:

kjh said:

Toms said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12149075/andrew-wakefield-claiming-coronavirus-is-a-hoax/

Consider smallpox. Using cowpox, or its later refinements, may have been the 1st vaccine. It saved millions from death or disfiguration. It's now history.

Or how about polio? I knew people who had to live in an iron lung. My brother had it, but was unaffected after a stay in the hospital. I believe, owing to a benighted core of people, it may still not be eradicated.

I had a case of measles that nearly felled me. Now we have a well tested triple vaccine, but owing to the aforementioned benighted, it still lurks and damages kids.

But, if people will believe the world was created 6000 yeas ago and/or vote for Trump we must acknowledge the limitless malleability of the human brain.
    I would love to know what actually happens to these people. It is clearly not just people who are stupid. Wakefield was clearly not an idiot and he is not the only one. We can all think of people in the public eye who have gone full on weird.

When Plato started posting odd stuff I started to follow her on Twitter and then Gab when she got banned from twitter. The stuff was absolutely bonkers. One that springs to mind is the conspiracy theories on CNN broadcasts being faked. The stuff that was identified make the moon landings not happening look positively sane in terms of the effort CNN would have had to put together to fake stuff that didn't need faking.

Yet she didn't post this stuff earlier. It strikes me that it is very similar to cult behaviour, but what makes someone susceptible to a cult?
    In schools, if not also at home, kids should be taught literacy, numeracy and scepticism. If I were a school teacher I'd give 'em an article once a week to criticise. And maybe I'd build on that in other ways.

As
    I think that is very sensible, but something happens at some point to certain people who do actually challenge stuff but in ludicrous ways (find bizarre reasons to negate evidence eg the CNN stuff) yet accept stuff that is clearly demonstrably nonsense.

There is challenging and challenging. How do you respond to someone who says 'show me it wasn't the lizards that did it'

40 odd years ago (it is that much printed on my mind) I was waiting to meet up with a girlfriend on Tottenham Court Road when I was approached by someone doing a survey. I was early so said ok. We went into a shop front where many were doing the survey. Afterwards there was an interview. At this point it became obvious this was a conversion exercise into some sort of cult/con. I was so angry I let rip and stormed out. I was also angry with myself that I got suckered in to it to that point, although there was nothing to suggest it was a cult/con until the interview when it became obvious very quickly. I wondered how often they were successful.
    Pretty sure it was. Was it a couple of hundred yards up from Oxford Street, near that big empty space on the West side?
    I recall an HQ around there. Never went in.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

OllyT said:
    A massive Ohio GOP corruption scandal has just broken. FBI arrests of senior politicians, Companies being subpoena'd, the works.
    mainly after the poll? or did we know what was coming?
    I don't think so.
    The scale of the corruption was massive - a direct subsidy of well over a billion dollars to the corrupt utilities:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/893493224/ohio-house-speaker-arrested-in-connection-to-60-million-bribery-scheme

Be very interesting to watch the next Ohio poll.
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdoh/pr/us-attorney-fbi-announce-charges-related-60-million-bribe-state-official-associates

Sixty million in bribes make Jennrik look small time in the extreme.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited July 2020
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

This FT opinion piece has received more than 1000 comments. Must be something of a record in recent times. This is a topic that clearly engages an important demographic, and they are not happy bunnies. Johnson is pretty much universally considered to be making a total cluster**** of this issue.

...Mr Johnson helped cause the problem. The 2014 independence referendum should have killed the issue for a generation. But Brexit, which Scotland voted against, revived it. Scots then saw Mr Johnson topple Theresa May, because her approach prioritised saving the Union...

...He is now discussing a Scottish tour but this might go down as well as a royal progress by the conquering knights of Edward I. Mr Johnson is, in the words of one Unionist, “irredeemably toxic to Scots”.

...One leading unionist observes: “I am very pessimistic. The only real grounds for optimism is that people in London are now very worried and that the cabinet office is getting engaged.” Another adds: “London has now seen what they are dealing with. The SNP are not the Liberal Democrats.”

...UK dealings with the devolved administrations are characterised by an almost colonial mindset and need a rethink. One former Downing Street staffer said: “This is not just about politicians. Whitehall also too often treats the first ministers of Scotland and Wales like regional mayors rather than the leaders of countries.” 

...This will only get worse as the US trade talks reach a head. With vocal Scottish opposition to weakening food standards, Mr Johnson may be forced to choose between shoring up the Union and the prize of a US trade deal.

That Unionists are waking up to the danger does not mean they are any closer to finding solutions. Most agree that they must find “an emotional argument” for the union. One also argues for small signals like changing the name of the Bank of England to the UK Central Bank.

...Generationally and politically the tide appears to be flowing towards independence. Mr Johnson’s temptation will be to smother Scotland with cash, and hope to prevent an SNP majority next year...

...Mr Johnson is drawn to such brinkmanship and sets great store in his political charm, but he knows his Brexit vision has powered the nationalist surge. If Scotland goes, it will be a calamity he has largely visited upon himself. And history will not be kind.

45% of Scots voted Yes to independence in 2014, on the latest polling this year 43 to 50% of Scots would vote Yes including Don't Knows.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_second_Scottish_independence_referendum#Opinion_polling

So really Brexit has not made that much difference and we know Boris respects the fact 2014 was a 'once in a generation referendum' anyway
    45% of Scots did not vote Yes - 45% of those voting did. Which means that your figures are not comparable as you are including DKs. And that Wiki page is out of date, it doesn't include recent polling.
    It does include recent polling, no poll this year has had Yes over 50% including don't knows and that goes right up to polling from the last month.

Can't very well be 'leave the UK' as it's a matter of dissolving the Treaty of Union, and there is no other kingdom for England to be united to ...

Edit: disolution of the ToU would be de facto even if the result went through some other legal mechanism.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    OllyT said:

Alistair said:

OllyT said:
    Ah, I'd seen that but hadn't registered that it was the Ohio GOP.
    Key point is it broke _after_ this poll.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Surprising win for Raab on diplomatic immunity with the US. Credit where it's due.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

And yet we're rewarding them with inflation busting pay rises. Rewards for their failure and destroying the education of millions of children because the unions decided to hold the nation to ransom.

It's time for the government to order them back to work fully in mid August and get all children back to school.
    At my nephews school, the start of term in September is being delayed by two days for two Inset days
    There are 5 INSET days spread out throughout the school year, it is normally up to the LA when they occur. I would suspect they are allowing this "extra" day to help schools make special arrangements.
    There are 5 INSET days but it's up to an individual school as to when they are taken. LA's have a say in when they (and school holidays) occur but their desires can be over riden by local authority schools (around here Catholic schools always had different Easter holidays as the Catholic secondary school sends 70 helpers to Lourdes for HCPT's Easter Pilgrimage https://www.hcpt.org.uk/

Taking 2 INSET days at the beginning of the school year is very normal and it's often more if significant changes are occurring (usually a new head but Covid would be equally valid).
    HCPT is an awesome charity! I did a few trips as an auxiliary helper with them a couple of decades ago, and try to support them now whenever I can.

Even if you're not religious yourself, the way the often seriously sick kids enjoy the trip is genuinely life-affirming.
    The twins went last year and would have gone again this year were it not for Covid. One plans to go to next year with the regional helper group, the other is planning to help with the school's Year 10 trip to Rome...
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

MaxPB said:

There are two things that annoy about Inset days

1) You are unable to take your child out a school for a holiday but schools can pick and choose Inset days

2) Teachers have the most holiday out of any profession, maybe have slightly less holiday and do what needs to be done on Inset days on those days. An Inset day means that children are not receiving an education that day.
    Inset days were taken out of the holidays. Teachers now get five days less than they did in the eighties.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Scott_xP said:
    They will be shipping a few to Scotland for his upcoming visit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

kjh said:

Toms said:

kjh said:

Toms said:

As

I recall an HQ around there. Never went in.
    That was what I was thinking of - their recruiters were wandering round that area like carrion flies. I used to reply "Hail, Xenu!" when stopped by them....
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Can't very well be 'leave the UK' as it's a matter of dissolving the Treaty of Union, and there is no other kingdom for England to be united to ...

Edit: disolution of the ToU would be de facto even if the result went through some other legal mechanism.
    The Union between Scotland and England created Great Britain. The UK is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Starmer again being put on the defensive. The shadow of Corbyn is hard to purge.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

There are 5 INSET days but it's up to an individual school as to when they are taken. LA's have a say in when they (and school holidays) occur but their desires can be over riden by local authority schools (around here Catholic schools always had different Easter holidays as the Catholic secondary school sends 70 helpers to Lourdes for HCPT's Easter Pilgrimage https://www.hcpt.org.uk/

Taking 2 INSET days at the beginning of the school year is very normal and it's often more if significant changes are occurring (usually a new head but Covid would be equally valid).
    HCPT is an awesome charity! I did a few trips as an auxiliary helper with them a couple of decades ago, and try to support them now whenever I can.

Even if you're not religious yourself, the way the often seriously sick kids enjoy the trip is genuinely life-affirming.
    The twins went last year and would have gone again this year were it not for Covid. One plans to go to next year with the regional helper group, the other is planning to help with the school's Year 10 trip to Rome...
    Well done to them - every sixth-former should be encouraged to do something similar. It's a week that, as you know, can change one's whole outlook on life massively for the better. You come home completely knackered but with a very different view of humanity.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

Starmer again being put on the defensive. The shadow of Corbyn is hard to purge.

I bet Boris couldn’t believe his luck when he saw the questions. Starmer also mentioning his time as DPP; his record in that job is very much fair game now.
  • Options
    Brexit Brexit Brexit
  • Options
    Starmer on the canvas.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Next stage in the Trump/China confrontation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53497193

It's frustrating because there is a lot to be genuinely concerned about so far as China is concerned but Trump is so obviously playing politics it undermines the American position.

He's making the right decisions (as have been made in the UK and other Western states), but the presentation looks like his cares more about boxing in the 'weak on China' Democrats, than he does about the actual human rights abuses going on in China.

But it's an election year, so pretty much normal for American politics.
    But neither does anybody who would even consider voting for him give a rat's arse about human rights abuses against Muslims - in China or anywhere else - so his presentation of the issue makes perfect sense.

Also noted his attempt to not be a complete dick in his latest virus briefing. If he can somehow keep that up I'd give him just the merest shadow of a chance in November. But I doubt he can.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Starmer was prosecuting Russians while BoZo was playing tennis with them...
  • Options
    Corbyn Corbyn Corbyn
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Sort of...

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1285891258305720320
    Being honest - it's a very easy concession worth virtually nothing, oops we'll make sure it doesn't happen again isn't really much of a concession when it's only occurred once in X years and the general diplomacy rules are that such crimes are outside diplomatic immunity...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

I bet Boris couldn’t believe his luck when he saw the questions. Starmer also mentioning his time as DPP; his record in that job is very much fair game now.
    To be fair Labour under Starmer does seem to be approaching these matters in a mature and sensible way. Boris really doesn't have an answer as to why there was a delay but Starmer is struggling with Corbyn's appalling record.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Starmer was prosecuting Russians while BoZo was playing tennis with them...

What, the same Russians? That must have been an interestingly designed court...
  • Options
    Good response by Starmer. He is looking like the grown up here.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Dear God Shagger sounds awful on the radio. Petulant. Angry. That he is flat out wrong with what he is saying about SKS w/r/t Russia is irrelevant in this post-fact world as nobody can pull him up on it when facts no longer matter in our politics.
  • Options
    I am interested to see how the attacks on Corbyn as attacks on Starmer work going forward.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

To be fair Labour under Starmer does seem to be approaching these matters in a mature and sensible way. Boris really doesn't have an answer as to why there was a delay but Starmer is struggling with Corbyn's appalling record.
    It was probably delayed simply to entice the LotO into asking about it and looking like an idiot. Most people will not care about Russia Today or any of the other bollocks. Boris’s was right to call it out for what it is.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Should Scots continue to live in an independent country? Yes/No
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    PMQs still a waste of everyone's time then?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And there's me thinking he was a lazy git too.
  • Options
    What made Tom Randall think that politics and public speaking was the job for him?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Nevermind Tesla, Britain is already the base for JLR’s push towards electric motoring.
  • Options

I am interested to see how the attacks on Corbyn as attacks on Starmer work going forward.

Surely there is a simple means to fix all the pressing issues. The stench of anti-semitism. The absurd black-is-whiteism. The party within a party that is Momentum. Simply remove the whip from Corbyn and then from Sultana, Webbe and all the others who will spontaneously combust in fury. Yes he loses perhaps a dozen MPs. But (a) the Tories have a big majority (b) the sacked MPs won't back the Tories and (c) it draws a mega line between old and new.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Telegraph says Government has given up hope of deal. All a ruse like with No Deal last time or are we really headed for oblivion?

Last time wasn't a ruse. We are heading for No Deal with anybody
    Covid is a handy cloak to wrap around the aftermath.
    I'm more concerned about what No Deal does to the aftermath of Covid.
    Compared to the economic effects of COVID, those of Brexit and a potential Scottish Independence are background noise.
    The concern is that what would be a relatively small shock, in the wake of COVID might be much amplified.

As a small example, we’ve already lost the chance of the new car and battery factories being planned and built to supply Europe.
    (The accelerated transition to electric being one of the means by which governments will attempt to revive economies.)
    There's talk of Tesla building a Gigafactory in Somerset.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/09/tesla-uk-factory-rumor-gain-traction-elon-musk/
    Talk is cheap - especially when you are seeking favours...
    I doubt they'll get any favours without actually building the factory.

The Department for International Trade has confirmed it is assisting in locating a suitable site for the factory but not confirmed who is behind it (assumed to be Tesla).
    All the existing (and planned) Tesla factories, US, China & Germany got favours from the respective governments (national and local).

These were all contingent on actually building the factories and operating them - tax breaks etc.
    Of course!

Hard to imagine what kind of favours they could possibly get if they didn't build and operate the factory. Tax breaks on a factory that doesn't exists is a bit . . . hard to explain.

Its not like the government is writing a cheque and then they're going to vanish into the night like some cowboy builder.
    I thought Somerset was only under consideration because Germany had stalled - I want to say due to a greenbelt type thing?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I think that is overstating it but the "under new management" line is one I expect us to hear pretty regularly.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

Surely there is a simple means to fix all the pressing issues. The stench of anti-semitism. The absurd black-is-whiteism. The party within a party that is Momentum. Simply remove the whip from Corbyn and then from Sultana, Webbe and all the others who will spontaneously combust in fury. Yes he loses perhaps a dozen MPs. But (a) the Tories have a big majority (b) the sacked MPs won't back the Tories and (c) it draws a mega line between old and new.
    That would be the answer and would change politics dramatically

Boris is a shambles but as yet he has not been derailed

However lots of issues coming down the track and a sensible labour party in the wings should benefit
  • Options

Do you think he might actually do it?

It would represent a massive statement of intent, and make his party seem considerably more appealing to the million or two floating voters he needs to win over in 2024 - but at the cost of alienating a number of existing members, in the same way as Kinnock did when he kicked out Militant all those years ago.
  • Options

How easily can he do that? Does he have to have a specific thing in the rules he can point to, or is there an all encompassing “bringing the party into disrepute” clause he can employ?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    If Starmer keeps going on the line that Johnson is an opportunist who doesn't really believe in anything except Boris Johnson, he is really on to something.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    There are two types of news stories on trade deals.

'Britain makes appalling and desperate concessions - we will be eating American sewage by Friday'

and

'Deadlock in talks - we will never get a trade deal'

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I had my kids vaccinated.

But ...

At the time (mid 90s) the Wakefield MMR controversy was all the rage. There was also reports that Gulf War Syndrome was a reaction caused by injecting soldiers with a large number of medicines/vaccines that overwhelmed and damaged their immune systems.

Then you take your child into the GP who tells you that they will be dosing your infant child with 6 vaccines.

I am not surprised that there were anti-vaxxers. When I was confronted with this I said we would take the MMR and come back in a month for the other three. You would have thought I was a murderer. The row got so heated I changed GP.

Well and bravely said.

'Anti-vaxxer' is just another stupid catch all term like 'conspiracy theorist'. Taken to its logical conclusion, it means that you should be prepared to accept any injection into your own body or those of your kids regardless of the level of information you're given, just as the second term indicates that you should accept any Government or corporate line you're given. There are sometimes conspiracies. And it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a vaccine, or combinations of vaccines, one day, could have an unforeseen and negative effect, as so many other medical interventions down the ages have done.

Would it be too much to ask, that the medical establishment looks for the positive in people wanting to make the right health decisions, and seeks to allay people's fears by providing more information, rather than just berating them and inventing names for them?
    It wasn't the right decision and you were putting your kids af extra risk. Jabs only get included after huge levels of testing over many years.
    Re-read my original post Mike - at the time the MMR (the one she jabbed my daughter with that very day) was the centre of a vaccine controversy. Medicines have gone wrong before - when I was a kid I came across Thalidomide children. That was a "safe" drug and it still happens - another drug "safe" enough for human trials...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22556736
    I was in exactly the same boat and made the same decision. Not vaccinating was not something I would consider and if there had been no alternative I would have reluctantly gone with the MMR.

But given there were perfectly safe and viable alternatives I was willing to pay for those.

In spite of what Mike says the claims about the single shots being unsafe or less effective only came up long after when the Government was trying everything it could to make sure everyone had the MMR and were clearly politically driven. There are many countries in Europe which used single shots and would have been surprised to hear claims that their vaccines were less safe.

When it was time to get my second child vaccinated seven years later I was more than happy to go with the MMR and my first also had an MMR booster later on.
    Actually, during the next jab-session (with the new GP) I was told that the only reason for doing all 6 in one visit was to cut visits in half. By doing 6-in-1 it freed up another appointment slot that would be needed for 6-jabs-in-2.

We had the MMR first as those were the most likely diseases for the kids to catch. The others - polio, diptheria and another (I forget which, but probably TB) were done a few weeks later.
    When I was due to go down to Brazil in February for work I asked my GP which jabs I needed.

The answer was:

MMR (I am too old to have had it as a child and have actually had all three diseases but was advised it would be wise to have it anyway)
    Tetanus/Diptheria/Polio
    Typhoid
    Hepatitis A
    Hepatitis B
    Rabies
    Yellow Fever

The plan was for me to get the Yellow Fever privately first as it was a live vaccine and wasn't available on the NHS and then to have the other 6 vaccines together in one visit a month later.

This is just one of a number of reasons why I was glad Covid turned up and my trip was cancelled.

I was once given the opportunity to inspect a BSL4 facility in GA where they were manufacturing rabies vaccines. It would have required me to receive intrathecal HRIG on site before entering the containment facility.

I wasn’t that curious!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It would represent a massive statement of intent, and make his party seem considerably more appealing to the million or two floating voters he needs to win over in 2024 - but at the cost of alienating a number of existing members, in the same way as Kinnock did when he kicked out Militant all those years ago.
    It does depend on what the report says but if it had been me who saw the review version I would have made sure it contained enough evidence to provide cover when removing those mentioned within it.

And you probably just need to suspend them, their anger at that would probably generate a reaction that gave you everything you needed to remove them...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    MattW said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Telegraph says Government has given up hope of deal. All a ruse like with No Deal last time or are we really headed for oblivion?

Last time wasn't a ruse. We are heading for No Deal with anybody
    Covid is a handy cloak to wrap around the aftermath.
    I'm more concerned about what No Deal does to the aftermath of Covid.
    Compared to the economic effects of COVID, those of Brexit and a potential Scottish Independence are background noise.
    The concern is that what would be a relatively small shock, in the wake of COVID might be much amplified.

As a small example, we’ve already lost the chance of the new car and battery factories being planned and built to supply Europe.
    (The accelerated transition to electric being one of the means by which governments will attempt to revive economies.)
    There's talk of Tesla building a Gigafactory in Somerset.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/09/tesla-uk-factory-rumor-gain-traction-elon-musk/
    Talk is cheap - especially when you are seeking favours...
    If Tesla is to achieve its mission:
    "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy"
    it will need factories in all the major markets.
    The reason the UK wasn't in line for the European Gigafactory was explained by Elon Musk in that article:
    "Musk previously stated that Tesla looked at the UK for a possible factory location before choosing to build its first European Gigafactory near Berlin, but they thought it “too risky to put a Gigafactory in the UK” due to “Brexit uncertainty”.

The west country location may not be a full GigaFactory, but hopefully we'll get something. From that article:
    "It’s just hard to believe that Tesla would be looking for another factory in Europe even though they barely started construction on their first one near Berlin.

But with the UK government desperate to boost the economy after the pandemic, Tesla might be getting a sweet incentive package to land a factory in the UK.

We also recently learned that Tesla has applied to virtually become an electric utility in the UK, which could mean that they plan to expand Tesla Energy in the market."
    The UK market was 2.3 million cars last year. So 10-20% of that would require an entire Gigafactory to supply.
    Eventually, currently the total EV market is much lower than 20% and can be handled from Gigafactory Berlin.
    Correct - in UK pure EV is 3% ish, but could well be a hell of a lot more in a very few years.

But I would see Germany taking up a lot, as the German govt are hosing money over electric vehicles like a block piddling next to a statue.
    Changeover to new technology can happen very quickly. Tesla (and others) need to expand very quickly - at the moment Tesla sales are limited by their production.
    Disclosure I bought a few Tesla shares in May - and they're up 89%. Obviously I missed out and should have bought earlier!
  • Options

If Starmer keeps going on the line that Johnson is an opportunist who doesn't really believe in anything except Boris Johnson, he is really on to something.

True, though I’m not sure that I prefer politicians driven by a particular belief either. That way you get people like Corbyn.

A politician who is only out for themself is much less likely to do something spectacularly bad unless they think there are votes in it.
  • Options
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I'm not sure that Johnson's excessive aggression when responding to Starmer plays well at all and he's yet to really land one on the LAB leader.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

There are two types of news stories on trade deals.

'Britain makes appalling and desperate concessions - we will be eating American sewage by Friday'

and

'Deadlock in talks - we will never get a trade deal'

Adam Boulton on Sky discussing this with a trade expert said of course UK trade with the US is through the EU trade deal

Quick as a flash the expert said no, the EU does not have a trade deal with the US and post 1st January nothing much will change in trade to the US

Boulton, the arch remainer and hater of Brexit so out of touch and so deflated
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/dec/23/uk.research

'The reason we have refused to say whether Leo has had the MMR vaccine is because we never have commented on the medical health or treatment of our children,' he said. 'The advice to parents to have the MMR jab is one of scores of pieces of advice or campaigns the Government supports in matters ranging from under-age sex to teenage alcohol abuse or smoking, to different types of advice for very young children on a huge range of activities from breastfeeding to safe play.

'Once we comment on one, it is hard to see how we can justify not commenting on them all.' Blair wrote the statement himself at Chequers after Number 10 was contacted by his wife's family.

I always thought that last bit was a cop out.

I strongly suspect that Cherie would subscribe to the lets just give single shot vaccines, not the MMR. Yet I also support the decision not to say - Leo didn't chose to be in the spotlight.
    If proven that they did not have the MMR for Leo, would this have been a Dominic Cummings? Possibly
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

But ...

At the time (mid 90s) the Wakefield MMR controversy was all the rage. There was also reports that Gulf War Syndrome was a reaction caused by injecting soldiers with a large number of medicines/vaccines that overwhelmed and damaged their immune systems.

Then you take your child into the GP who tells you that they will be dosing your infant child with 6 vaccines.

I am not surprised that there were anti-vaxxers. When I was confronted with this I said we would take the MMR and come back in a month for the other three. You would have thought I was a murderer. The row got so heated I changed GP.

Well and bravely said.

'Anti-vaxxer' is just another stupid catch all term like 'conspiracy theorist'. Taken to its logical conclusion, it means that you should be prepared to accept any injection into your own body or those of your kids regardless of the level of information you're given, just as the second term indicates that you should accept any Government or corporate line you're given. There are sometimes conspiracies. And it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a vaccine, or combinations of vaccines, one day, could have an unforeseen and negative effect, as so many other medical interventions down the ages have done.

Would it be too much to ask, that the medical establishment looks for the positive in people wanting to make the right health decisions, and seeks to allay people's fears by providing more information, rather than just berating them and inventing names for them?
    It wasn't the right decision and you were putting your kids af extra risk. Jabs only get included after huge levels of testing over many years.
    I will be right there waiting to get the new vaccine if and when it arrives. But surely you see the issue with the statement you have just made.

"Jabs only get included after huge levels of testing over many years"

Well we know that is certainly not going to be the case with this jab which rather undermines your argument.
    While that's true, it's also true that in terms of the immunology, we'll be better informed than with most previous vaccines simply because of the advancement in knowledge over the last decade or so (both in methods of detection via improved techniques, and fundamental knowledge of the workings of the immune system).

And the sheer resources thrown at the problem have been immense.
    What is particularly annoying is that because UK walked out of, and indeed, effectively threw out, the European Medicines Agency we lost immediate access to Europe-wide adverse incident reporting. Obviously we'll get reports eventually, but short term after release of the vaccine we'll be relying on adverse incidents reported in UK.
    We didn’t throw out the EMA. We suggested that we enter into an arrangement whereby we become an associate member and they remain in a London

They chose instead to break a lease early (suggesting the U.K. government pay the penalty) and walk away with a large chunk (30-40% IIRC) choosing to quit rather than relocate.

A negative outcome for all as a result of the EU’s inflexibility
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Believe it or not you can be quite OK about vaccines in general but still be very cautious about the coming Covid vaccine. It is astonishing how willing people are to swallow hook, line and sinker the total bollocks that the government has been spewing for the last few months and how readily they want to attack anyone who questions it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    Hoyle extends "Virtual" committee meetings to 30th October......not buying the "get back to your office" line.....
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Drowning in miserabilism is one of the most certain routes to political defeat. That's why the Opposition has been the Opposition for so very long. When will they learn?
  • Options

Hoyle extends "Virtual" committee meetings to 30th October......not buying the "get back to your office" line.....

Will they be in York by then
  • Options

Absolutely agree with this. In 2007, the Socialist Campaign Group had 24 of 353 MPs. This has now gone up to 35/202. Many of the new Corbynites are in their 40s or younger and could be there for decades.

Blair with his large majorities could afford to turn a blind eye to the SCG. Sir Keir can’t afford to if he wants to be PM
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Your regular reminder that Boris doesn’t get to choose his father.
    I assume you felt exactly the same when Red Ed Miliband was constantly vilified by the Mail and others for having a famous father who'd written the odd leftie treatise?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

It does depend on what the report says but if it had been me who saw the review version I would have made sure it contained enough evidence to provide cover when removing those mentioned within it.

And you probably just need to suspend them, their anger at that would probably generate a reaction that gave you everything you needed to remove them...
    Surely everyone who sat in Corbyn's shadow cabinet but said nothing were equally complicit? What happened to collective responsibility? Kudos to those who refused.
  • Options
    Not sure Layla Moran did her leadership campaign any great good there with that question.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It's a ruse. Big up the difficulty of getting a deal (and thus the possibility of there being no deal) so that when "Boris" unveils the inevitable bad deal its reception is boosted by a general feeling of relief and against-the-odds achievement. Just like last time with the exit deal. I recommend that nobody on here falls for this. I certainly won't be. If you hail a turd as chocolate you will suffer when the time comes to eat it.
    Except of course Boris getting his great new deal last time was against all odds. Everyone had insisted beforehand that revisiting May's agreement and Hunt had scoffed at the idea that we could get a new deal by Halloween but Boris achieved it.

That is why only Boris made sense to be PM and why despite in normal circumstances Hunt would make a great PM he was totally inappropriate to the times. Because in order to get a compromise you need the other party to know that you are seriously prepared to walk away . . . but its by them knowing that, that you get a compromise, so you don't need to walk away.

Same will indeed happen this time. Because we're prepared to walk away the EU are being serious now and negotiating seriously, something that wouldn't have happened with May or Hunt.
    One of your blind spots this - JOHNSON and Brexit. I sense you're invested to the point where if he and it goes to junk you lose the house.
    You wrote Boris in the post I replied to. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I did not. I would never. I wrote "Boris" with the inverteds as I always do when I'm referring to the fictional character rather than the actor (Johnson) playing it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Scott_xP said:
    I suspect the Johnson blustering and mindless enjoiners to get behind Britain will be ringing very hollow for vast swathes of electorate by 2024.

Many of them will have been unemployed for years by then.

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

I'm not sure that Johnson's excessive aggression when responding to Starmer plays well at all and he's yet to really land one on the LAB leader.
    Yes indeed.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I suspect the Johnson blustering and mindless enjoiners to get behind Britain will be ringing very hollow for vast swathes of electorate by 2024.

I doubt Boris will be in post by then
  • Options

Nevermind Tesla, Britain is already the base for JLR’s push towards electric motoring.

Yes, this is going to be really important for our future and the government should use its new found freedom to ensure that investments in this technology by JLR get all the help they need.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It appears he gets to choose to whom he wants to be a father though.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442

The best attack lines are the ones which everyone, deep down, believes to be true. Such as Johnson being an opportunist.

Makes the Starter flip-flops line odd. I get that Johnson enjoys the gags, but do they match public perception? Dull seems closer to the mark.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

He looked healthier today.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I think it could. Boris can't be dumb enough to allow acquiescence bias twice.

I also think Indy will poll close to 60% at some point, it has to to get the Unionists to really focus. Then the fun really starts.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

But ...

Well and bravely said.

I will be right there waiting to get the new vaccine if and when it arrives. But surely you see the issue with the statement you have just made.

"Jabs only get included after huge levels of testing over many years"

Well we know that is certainly not going to be the case with this jab which rather undermines your argument.
    While that's true, it's also true that in terms of the immunology, we'll be better informed than with most previous vaccines simply because of the advancement in knowledge over the last decade or so (both in methods of detection via improved techniques, and fundamental knowledge of the workings of the immune system).

And the sheer resources thrown at the problem have been immense.
    What is particularly annoying is that because UK walked out of, and indeed, effectively threw out, the European Medicines Agency we lost immediate access to Europe-wide adverse incident reporting. Obviously we'll get reports eventually, but short term after release of the vaccine we'll be relying on adverse incidents reported in UK.
    We didn’t throw out the EMA. We suggested that we enter into an arrangement whereby we become an associate member and they remain in a London

They chose instead to break a lease early (suggesting the U.K. government pay the penalty) and walk away with a large chunk (30-40% IIRC) choosing to quit rather than relocate.

A negative outcome for all as a result of the EU’s inflexibility
    They actually settled the Court Action with their landlord and agreed to maintain their lease, after they lost the first round in the High Court.

They sublet with LL consent.

But it may now become interesting, as the subtenant selected by the EMA is a workspace provider called WeWork.

https://www.ft.com/content/eed0d05a-9e5e-11e9-9c06-a4640c9feebb
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    DavidL said:

Yes, this is going to be really important for our future and the government should use its new found freedom to ensure that investments in this technology by JLR get all the help they need.
    The problem for JLR will be bridging the gap as conventional production dwindles and stalls. Not an issue for Tesla.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_xP said:

We will see.

Based on the resounding relentness negativity from many parts of the media and body politic about COVID, about post-COVID, about Brexit, post-Brexit etc etc etc . . . the way people talk it seems like it should all be hopeless and no chance of success in Britain for years to come.

The baseline is getting projected so low that if the UK doesn't have millions and millions of unemployed people in 2024 then Boris will have done a fantastic job and be well worthy of being re-elected. Though I'm sure his critics won't acknowledge that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    DavidL said:

The government should help them make cars with interiors that don't fall to bits before they worry about anything else.
  • Options

How easily can he do that? Does he have to have a specific thing in the rules he can point to, or is there an all encompassing “bringing the party into disrepute” clause he can employ?
    Literally that. The clause is the ultimate catch-all, and the General Secretary has the power of God to deploy it as they see fit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Scott_xP said:
    Only when he desists from aping an overweight Tigger.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Scott_xP said:

Me too. Apart from anything else he doesn't really look like he enjoys the job.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Surely everyone who sat in Corbyn's shadow cabinet but said nothing were equally complicit? What happened to collective responsibility? Kudos to those who refused.
    What does the shadow cabinet have to do with Labour party management.... And it is the leadership of the party here that is the issue nut the leadership within the House of Commons.

Sitting on the NEC and not doing anything would be complicit, sitting on the shadow cabinet (especially when the reason for being there was to ensure you were inside enough to stand for the leadership) not so much...
  • Options
    I think Starmer has to expel Corbyn now. Anything less will look weak.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It appears he gets to choose to whom he wants to be a father though.
    Good arrows.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh dear.

In a democracy a country gets the politics it deserves and we have a tacky, end-of-the-pier, vacuous poshboy clown as our PM.

An uncomfortable thought.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Only when he desists from aping an overweight Tigger.
    When we want the economy to bounce back who could be better in charge than Tigger?

Bouncing is what Tiggers do best.
This discussion has been closed.