Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Betfair WH2020 next President Market is about to reach £50

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Not great numbers in the UK again today.
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.177876263.342558573.1595341587-685227072.1592983386

The hospital figures are very good but our progress seems to have stalled.

That's pillar 1 & 2 on the testing - which means that intervention in outbreak areas is finding more asymptomatic cases.

The death number are reporting day, not day of death, which makes them pretty much useless.

The England all settings deaths by day of death -

Note that these are the numbers that include any previously infected who recover, and are killed crossing the road, falling down stairs or by mad lawyers with baseball bats.

Worth noting that the ONS (death certificate) and PHE (Hospital Deaths) figures do deviate, but it is the ONS ones that are higher. On 3rd July the ONS recorded 48 154 compared to PHE at 39 626 for example.

(Note that ONS record date of death registration rather than date of death)
    Yes - that is the excess deaths issue earlier in the epidemic.

The question is what is happening now.
    No "excess deaths" is another metric. The ONS is based on death certificates, but includes nursing homes etc. As well as hospitals.
    I think "excess deaths" per hundred thousand is the only relatively reliable statistic to compare the performance of our system against those in other countries. It is interesting politically because if it appears very bad (which it almost certainly will) there will be those on the left that will blame the incompetent government and those on the right will blame the incompetent bureaucracy of the NHS.
    PHE.

PHE are the incompetent ones now, not the NHS ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    edited July 2020

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Tony Blair is Not Optimistic about The Bug

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53525470

The stats support him. i just noticed that in the last two days the world reported 275-280,000 new cases.

By a margin, these are the highest daily totals. This damn virus is ACCELERATING

Any stats on the number of tests done?
    Yes that's crucial, and it is hard, if not impossible, to collate the data globally.

What we can say is that

1. America's rise in case-numbers is not a by-product of rising tests

"The average number of tests conducted [in the USA] has grown by 80% since early June to 780,000 per day. Daily case counts have grown by 215% in the same period."

That's from the NY Times, yesterday

and

2. The number of global deaths is also rising, albeit slower than the number of cases. At the end of May the average daily death toll was ~4,200, now it is ~5,200
    An interesting chat with one of our Covid-19 doctors at lunch. Only 26 inpatients now despite all the hype about Leicester outbreak, but seeing a different spectrum of disease. Far fewer with respiratory disease, but more vascular and intestinal disease, renal failure, strange strokes etc. Weird stuff and some bad outcomes. Has the virus mutated, at least locally?

I think the area has been flooded by swabbing, as only 1.7% of tests are coming back positive now. Track and Trace not able to contact anyone for 35% of index patients.
    Interesting, and somewhat troubling. My friend who is seriously ill, with "covid-related" disease, has baffled his London doctors, they can't quite work out why he is SO ill.

The virus is a shape-shifter?
    The giveaway is in the inflammatory markers in blood tests. Those seem to be very predictive of bad outcomes.

What are "inflammatory markers"?

Worth noting that my friend was a very heavy smoker. Gave up four years ago. The docs are sure that is relevant.
    It is recognised that smokers are less likely to get it but get it worse when they do.

There are a variety of blood inflammatory markers, and these are part of any Covid-19 work up. They are not very specific to site of inflammation so localising the cause can be tricky.
    In what context are the tests finding "1.7% positive" ??

I ask, since the Pillar 1 tests seem to be running in the order of 0.25% positive and Pillar 2 at something like 0.8%, nationally.
    That is the figure for Leicester.
    So in Leicester, the tests are catching north of double the rate elsewhere?
    Yes, they are being done door to door in the affected areas of the city*, but the positivity rate has dropped dramatically from a few weeks ago.

*organised locally
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

dixiedean said:

Anyways. Just got back from the local shop, where mask wearing has been very poor.
    Today all in masks. Bloke walks in without one, everyone gives him the evils, and he says "Do you sell face masks?"
    It appears we will wear them if told to.
    Quite why it took so long is another matter.

According to some NHS professionals I know the reason it has taken so long is that we didn't have the supplies in April/May to allow public use of them.

So very few people would have been able to go out and get essentials, ditto key workers, due to the mask shortage.
    Except if some form of face covering were considered important (and it's important to remember, of course, that the mask-wearing edict does not compel people to go around in medical-grade kit) then why was Joe Public not advised to buy a cloth mask, or to make one, or to use a scarf or some similar such thing when this all kicked off in the first place?

Back in March, when ministers and senior Government advisers were telling people that masks outside clinical settings were worse than useless, either they were telling the truth (and have since changed their minds,) or they were lying because they didn't trust the public not to fly into a complete panic and try to buy up any medical grade masks they could get their hands on, as opposed to accepting a rational request to stick to cloth masks and leave medical masks for medical professionals.

If it's the latter then one feels obliged to remark that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Any conceivable good that might have been achieved by way of keeping a few boxes of N95 masks out of the hands of a handful of panic buyers on Amazon has been more than negated by the fact that the population, or a large section of it at any rate, must now feel that it cannot trust the Establishment to tell it the truth about these matters. Thus, even if masks in non-clinical settings are of some conceivable use, citizens will either refuse to wear them anyway, or only do it because it's not worth the hassle not to (in which case the masks are liable to be treated with contempt, e.g. by being worn as necklaces unless or until the wearer is cajoled into pulling them up by an authority figure, and they really will prove worse than useless as was originally claimed.)
    Absolutely right.

Also, I do not buy the idea they all lied to the public to preserve masks for the NHS.

Look at the body language of Van Tam and Harries when they argued that masks are "worse than useless". They really meant it. They believed it. And they are the UK's top scientists.

I reckon it was a conceptual failure. They did not grasp the fact that masks are a barrier to transmission, more than a way of preventing infection, especially if you are asymptomatic. You wear a mask to protect others, others wear a mask to protect you.

It is amazing how many intelligent people failed to grasp this simple concept.

Here is Van Tam. He's not lying. He's just not very bright

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52153145/coronavirus-we-do-not-recommend-face-masks-for-general-wearing

• Options
    Almost the weekend :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    DavidL said:

Is Buttler's patience wearing thin perchance?

The only Buttler has patience is when he’s playing Sevens after the close.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

Anyways. Just got back from the local shop, where mask wearing has been very poor.
    Today all in masks. Bloke walks in without one, everyone gives him the evils, and he says "Do you sell face masks?"

According to some NHS professionals I know the reason it has taken so long is that we didn't have the supplies in April/May to allow public use of them.

So very few people would have been able to go out and get essentials, ditto key workers, due to the mask shortage.
    it's a feeble excuse. By mid February the government should have seen this virus coming, realised why masks are so important, and got manufacturers to focus on making billions of 'em.

By March, South Korea had a weekly mask ration available for every citizen.
    You poor fool.

Haven't you been reading @NerysHughes posts? South Korea and other countries where masks work are irrelevant. The only place that matters is Spain, which implemented mask rules in shops (oh yeah, and opened nightclubs), and cases rose.

Therefore masks cause CV-19.
    To be fair to Nerys, Sweden does NOT have widespread mask wearing, and yet cases are still declining, and deaths are down to near-zero

https://unherd.com/2020/07/swedens-anders-tegnell-judge-me-in-a-year/

I believe it's better to err on the side of caution, and use masks, but the Swedish example is perplexing
    Nerys has not argued that masks have no, or limited, effect. (Which would at least be something we could debate.)

He's arguing that masks *cause* Covid.
    The evidence in favour of mask wearing outside of clinical settings (i.e. actual evidence, as distinct from "they like wearing them in Taiwan therefore they must be magic Covid repellors") is still limited and muddy.

FWIW, before mocking Nerys too mercilessly, it might also be worth remembering that Government ministers and boffins spent quite a lot of time mithering as recently as the Spring about whether or not masks would cause wearers to develop a false sense of security and dispense with social distancing, or accidentally infect themselves by constantly fiddling with the things. So, masks-as-potential-disease-vectors isn't a completely leftfield theory that has only sprung into being within the last 24 hours.

Personally, I would've thought that there is indeed at least a theoretical risk from use of dirty masks. Disposable masks aren't cheap and not everyone is made of money, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if some users wear them until they fall apart, and I seriously doubt that 100% of cloth mask users wash their used ones every day when they get home.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

138 dead. Almost a plane crash load.
    138 dead in any incident in the UK would have led the news for days if not months a mere 6 months ago.

How many of those died naturally or of other causes though? The death statistics are untrustworthy at the moment, the ONS series is better.
    I suspect the overwhelming majority if not all.

I think this is care homes combining with the flaw in the date for PHE.

It is worth remembering that all care home patients have been tested for COVID and all are getting tested weekly which means any COVID patient who has had th virus since testing became widespread is known about.

And care home residents die on average within a year of admission. They don't have a long life expectancy.

So any care home resident who has tested positive, recovered, then later dies of natural causes (as they're expected to do within a year) gets recorded as a COVID death by PHE.

It wouldn't surprise me if hundreds or even thousands of care home residents a month who have recovered from COVID are dying of entirely natural causes and PHE are erroneously recording them as COVID deaths.
    As against that, the ‘excess death rate’ was at one point 50%, which suggests precisely the opposite.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

The stats support him. i just noticed that in the last two days the world reported 275-280,000 new cases.

By a margin, these are the highest daily totals. This damn virus is ACCELERATING

Yes that's crucial, and it is hard, if not impossible, to collate the data globally.

What we can say is that

"The average number of tests conducted [in the USA] has grown by 80% since early June to 780,000 per day. Daily case counts have grown by 215% in the same period."

and

2. The number of global deaths is also rising, albeit slower than the number of cases. At the end of May the average daily death toll was ~4,200, now it is ~5,200
    An interesting chat with one of our Covid-19 doctors at lunch. Only 26 inpatients now despite all the hype about Leicester outbreak, but seeing a different spectrum of disease. Far fewer with respiratory disease, but more vascular and intestinal disease, renal failure, strange strokes etc. Weird stuff and some bad outcomes. Has the virus mutated, at least locally?

I think the area has been flooded by swabbing, as only 1.7% of tests are coming back positive now. Track and Trace not able to contact anyone for 35% of index patients.
    Interesting, and somewhat troubling. My friend who is seriously ill, with "covid-related" disease, has baffled his London doctors, they can't quite work out why he is SO ill.

The giveaway is in the inflammatory markers in blood tests. Those seem to be very predictive of bad outcomes.

Worth noting that my friend was a very heavy smoker. Gave up four years ago. The docs are sure that is relevant.
    It is recognised that smokers are less likely to get it but get it worse when they do.

There are a variety of blood inflammatory markers, and these are part of any Covid-19 work up. They are not very specific to site of inflammation so localising the cause can be tricky.

I ask, since the Pillar 1 tests seem to be running in the order of 0.25% positive and Pillar 2 at something like 0.8%, nationally.
    Out of curiosity, what is the age profile of those in hospital? Is it still heavily skewed towards those over 70?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Its an 83 run partnership which is good. The problem is that there is so little to come that these 2 really need to get England close to 300. Long way to go yet.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,898
    edited July 2020
    There's an interesting report in this week's New Scientist about the recent surge in covid-19 cases in Australia. The country had come close to eliminating the virus, until slapdash quarantine (of returning Australians) enforcement by private security contractors in the state of Victoria resulted in them catching and spreading the disease. This has apparently been exacerbated by failure to observe limits on gatherings and a tendency to gather indoors due to it being winter there.

There may be some lessons for us there.
  • Options
    ABZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

What we can say is that

and

Out of curiosity, what is the age profile of those in hospital? Is it still heavily skewed towards those over 70?
    I didn't ask.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Its an 83 run partnership which is good. The problem is that there is so little to come that these 2 really need to get England close to 300. Long way to go yet.
    These two couldn’t get close to 300 if the alternative was being castrated with bricks.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

it's a feeble excuse. By mid February the government should have seen this virus coming, realised why masks are so important, and got manufacturers to focus on making billions of 'em.

You poor fool.

Haven't you been reading @NerysHughes posts? South Korea and other countries where masks work are irrelevant. The only place that matters is Spain, which implemented mask rules in shops (oh yeah, and opened nightclubs), and cases rose.

To be fair to Nerys, Sweden does NOT have widespread mask wearing, and yet cases are still declining, and deaths are down to near-zero

I believe it's better to err on the side of caution, and use masks, but the Swedish example is perplexing
    Nerys has not argued that masks have no, or limited, effect. (Which would at least be something we could debate.)

I did run across a conspiracy theorist on twitter who believed that big pharma was sending out contaminated swabs to cause coronavirus, thereby increasing sales.

Perhaps the mask manufacturers are in on it too.

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?...
    My concern is that the increased face touching caused by mask wearing in the environment that are now required to be worn will negate its benefit and could make the situation worse. I really don't understand why that is considered a mad idea. Its what the WHO were saying up until the end of March and the WHO have not published any medical or scientific evidence to support their change of heart.
    My mum went in three shops today, each time she went in she put her mask on and as soon as she left she took it off. So that is six times her hands were round her face. Thats what millions of people will do.

I might be totally wrong, we will see with case numbers in 3-4 weeks time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

Except if some form of face covering were considered important (and it's important to remember, of course, that the mask-wearing edict does not compel people to go around in medical-grade kit) then why was Joe Public not advised to buy a cloth mask, or to make one, or to use a scarf or some similar such thing when this all kicked off in the first place?

Back in March, when ministers and senior Government advisers were telling people that masks outside clinical settings were worse than useless, either they were telling the truth (and have since changed their minds,) or they were lying because they didn't trust the public not to fly into a complete panic and try to buy up any medical grade masks they could get their hands on, as opposed to accepting a rational request to stick to cloth masks and leave medical masks for medical professionals.

If it's the latter then one feels obliged to remark that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Any conceivable good that might have been achieved by way of keeping a few boxes of N95 masks out of the hands of a handful of panic buyers on Amazon has been more than negated by the fact that the population, or a large section of it at any rate, must now feel that it cannot trust the Establishment to tell it the truth about these matters. Thus, even if masks in non-clinical settings are of some conceivable use, citizens will either refuse to wear them anyway, or only do it because it's not worth the hassle not to (in which case the masks are liable to be treated with contempt, e.g. by being worn as necklaces unless or until the wearer is cajoled into pulling them up by an authority figure, and they really will prove worse than useless as was originally claimed.)
    Absolutely right.

Also, I do not buy the idea they all lied to the public to preserve masks for the NHS.

Look at the body language of Van Tam and Harries when they argued that masks are "worse than useless". They really meant it. They believed it. And they are the UK's top scientists.

I reckon it was a conceptual failure. They did not grasp the fact that masks are a barrier to transmission, more than a way of preventing infection, especially if you are asymptomatic. You wear a mask to protect others, others wear a mask to protect you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52153145/coronavirus-we-do-not-recommend-face-masks-for-general-wearing

That's pretty much the way I saw it. But this has been a steep learning curve for everyone. When he was saying that I think that he also believed that pretty much everyone was going to catch this eventually. Which we have also moved on from but probably also influenced his thinking.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

138 dead in any incident in the UK would have led the news for days if not months a mere 6 months ago.

How many of those died naturally or of other causes though? The death statistics are untrustworthy at the moment, the ONS series is better.

It is worth remembering that all care home patients have been tested for COVID aend all are getting tested weekly which means any COVID patient who has had th virus since testing became widespread is known about.

And care home residents die on average within a year of admission. They don't have a long life expectancy.

So any care home resident who has tested positive, recovered, then later dies of natural causes (as they're expected to do within a year) gets recorded as a COVID death by PHE.

It wouldn't surprise me if hundreds or even thousands of care home residents a month who have recovered from COVID are dying of entirely natural causes and PHE are erroneously recording them as COVID deaths.
    As against that, the ‘excess death rate’ was at one point 50%, which suggests precisely the opposite.
    Its all about timing.

The excess death rate was high months ago when we weren't testing people.

The excess death rate now and for a long time now is negative.

So all the people tested at the peak, back in May, who have subsequently recovered and are now naturally dying are getting recorded as COVID deaths despite the fact we have negative excess deaths now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

What we can say is that

and

So in Leicester, the tests are catching north of double the rate elsewhere?
    Yes, they are being done door to door in the affected areas of the city*, but the positivity rate has dropped dramatically from a few weeks ago.

*organised locally
    Is the 80% asymptomatic number we have been hearing about holding true in Leicester?

For example, in the Hereford outbreak I've heard that only 10 or so had symptoms - the rest were found in mass testing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

I did run across a conspiracy theorist on twitter who believed that big pharma was sending out contaminated swabs to cause coronavirus, thereby increasing sales.

Are you blind? It's clearly a conspiracy by Big Tin (or is it Big Foil) to bump sales of tinfoil hats.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    LadyG said:

~20% of the world gets it? ~20% became infected on the cruise ship and the US navy ship where it spread in a fairly uncontrolled manner. The other passengers seemed to have a degree of immunity.

That would mean 1.4 billion cases but I don't think it will be properly recorded. In the UK, if you are fairly sure you had it, as a relative (63) and friend (77) are, you must pay for a test. Under-recording = equally likely in most other countries?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

BJO posted a belated comment two threads ago saying that sources in Islington CLP have been told Corbyn is to lose the whip.

Leaving aside the fact he is now doubling down on his mindless racism, surely he deserves expulsion for the blatant defiance of Starmer, which effectively includes calling the new Labour leader a liar?

Kicking Corbyn out the party would be a master stroke. Would send a crystal clear message to the electorate. Next target Tony Blair.
    The SNP must be praying any purge doesn’t encompass Richard Leonard.

Edit - mind you, they were worried that Wendy Alexander being forced out would be bad news. Didn’t turn out that way...
    Kind of right. I admit that a lot of my colleagues value Leonard because he is so utterly useless (heck, witness my own gif), but personally I would prefer to see a brighter, more competent and pro-Scottish SLab leader. My logic being that independence is going to be very demanding not just on the winning Yes team, but equally so on the losing Opposition. It is in all our interests that *all* parties are lead by intelligent, pleasant, constructive, well-meaning people. Labour and the Lib Dems are getting there. Tories are miles off.

I’m a big Wendy fan, and always have been. She was the last good SLab leader. It was Gordon Brown who bullied her out, one of his biggest mistakes. Wendy was a truly strategic Unionist thinker. Gey few of those about.
    Your surely right about independence being "very demanding". The costs of a break-up will be huge and there will be zero acceptance on the part of RUK taxpayers to pay for any of it. After all, they won't have voted for it. It will be a bloody divorce with a very asymmetric cost being borne north of the border. The parallel negotiations to re-enter the EU will be fun too - wonder what price the Spanish Govt will insist on, given their pre-occupation with Catalonia?
    You’re surely right about UK independence being "very demanding". The costs of a break-up are huge and there is zero acceptance on the part of rEU taxpayers to pay for any of it. After all, they didn’t voted for it. It is a bloody divorce with a very asymmetric cost being borne north of the Channel. The parallel trade negotiations are fun too - wonder what price the U.S. Govt will insist on, given their pre-occupation with self-interest?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

Are you blind? It's clearly a conspiracy by Big Tin (or is it Big Foil) to bump sales of tinfoil hats.
    Big Al surely.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

It is worth remembering that all care home patients have been tested for COVID and all are getting tested weekly which means any COVID patient who has had th virus since testing became widespread is known about.

I see you are making up the facts to suit your case again, Philip.

"The statistics show that the average length of stay in a single residential care home in England that ended in a service users’ death was around 26 months, although this statistic does not include any previous stays in other homes."

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-09-05/8937
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    On topic... I posted this on the previous thread.
    A good analysis of why, absent a Biden landslide, Ni ember’s election could be very messy indeed.

8 Big Reasons Election Day 2020 Could Be a Disaster
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/24/2020-election-disaster-perfect-storm-372778
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Tinfoil mask... Genius!

EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt, I am joking. This is a joke.
    In the US, they are tribal masks...
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DavidL said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

Absolutely right.

That's pretty much the way I saw it. But this has been a steep learning curve for everyone. When he was saying that I think that he also believed that pretty much everyone was going to catch this eventually. Which we have also moved on from but probably also influenced his thinking.
    You are more forgiving than me!

When they have the inquiry into Covid-19 in the unbearably hot summer of 2034, in the new capital of York-by-Huawai, the scientists must be interrogated, as much as the politicians.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

"The statistics show that the average length of stay in a single residential care home in England that ended in a service users’ death was around 26 months, although this statistic does not include any previous stays in other homes."

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-09-05/8937
    I have read that statistic multiple times in the media - I think it is probably one of those statistics where it depends upon how you define average.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Is Rahkeem Cornwall the fattest man to ever play world class team sport?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @FeersumEnjineeya "56% residents dying within a year of admission" - https://academic.oup.com/ageing/article/43/3/375/16665
  • Options
    LadyG said:

No:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Leverock
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

I have read that statistic multiple times in the media - I think it is probably one of those statistics where it depends upon how you define average.
    Yeah, the average stay length may be skewed by the odd few that hang on a really long time.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    LadyG said:

Monty in the Ryder Cup was a bit fat at times.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    LadyG said:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/globalgame/world_cup_moments_no50_day_rock_fell_earth.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

No:
    Ooh. Good one.

But, Bermuda? Against Canada?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/globalgame/world_cup_moments_no50_day_rock_fell_earth.html
    Great minds!

W G Grace was quite portly in his later years as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Yeah, the average stay length may be skewed by the odd few that hang on a really long time.
    Indeed. Mean average may be 28 months while median average is within a year.

56% dying within a year would put the median within the year.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

No:
    Ooh. Good one.

He also played against Sri Lanka, India and England. His wickets included Kumar Sangakkara and Kevin Pietersen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Gatting was quite chunky at times.

But R Cornwall is in a league of his own.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

The term "average" generally refers to the "arithmetic mean", which has a straightforward mathematical definition. So it's far more likely that you or your source(s) simply invented the figure, or that you misremembered it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

That may be the Mean, but I think the Median is shorter.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

The term "average" generally means "mean" and has a simple mathematical definition. So it's far more likely that you or your source(s) simply invented the figure, or that you misremembered it.
    Mean, median and mode are all average and median can be more appropriate that mean.

If 56% die within a year then it is entirely appropriate to say on average people die within the year, even if on average mean life expectancy can be more than a year.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Cornwall is 6'6'' and weighs 22 stone.

Arjuna Ranatunga, when captaining Sri Lanka, was 5'8'', weighed 15 stones and is what's known in the business as an FLF.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

No:
    Ooh. Good one.

He also played against Sri Lanka, India and England. His wickets included Kumar Sangakkara and Kevin Pietersen.
    Fair nuff.

Looking at the photos it's hard to say who is actually fatter, though. Laverock is bigger but Cornwall is particularly chunky.

It's good that cricket has room for lardbuckets. Also, I love spin bowling. Makes a nice change. Quickens the action.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Arjuna Ranatunga, when captaining Sri Lanka, was 5'8'', weighed 15 stones and is what's known in the business as an FLF.
    Another question then: who is the heaviest man to have ever played world class team sport?

I imagine it must be a rugby player or a US footballer?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Another question then: who is the heaviest man to have ever played world class team sport?

Does sumo wrestling count?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

No. That's why I specified world class TEAM sport.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

My concern is that the increased face touching caused by mask wearing in the environment that are now required to be worn will negate its benefit and could make the situation worse. I really don't understand why that is considered a mad idea. Its what the WHO were saying up until the end of March and the WHO have not published any medical or scientific evidence to support their change of heart.
    My mum went in three shops today, each time she went in she put her mask on and as soon as she left she took it off. So that is six times her hands were round her face. Thats what millions of people will do.

In Spain mask use is widespread and mostly compulsory in most settings. It has been since lockdown. Oddly people also make widespread use of sanitisers as well. I say oddly as you seem to think once wearing a mask everyone gives up on all other common sense behaviour. And to repeat, as many have done, but you try to ignore - the vast majority of recent outbreaks are caused by family reunions, reckless youngsters in bars, clubs , etc and among mostly agricultural workers. All have the common factor of relaxed social distancing and lack of mask use.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Well, this New Zealander must come close:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116035578/ben-tameifuna-tops-the-scales-as-heaviest-player-at-the-rugby-world-cup
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

It's extremely unlikely that the median is less than a year if the mean is 26 months. You'd have to have a very strange distribution of life expectancies, with most of the inmates popping their clogs within a few months of arrival and a lucky few living there for many years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116035578/ben-tameifuna-tops-the-scales-as-heaviest-player-at-the-rugby-world-cup
    153kg = 24 stone. A definite contender
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

I don't appreciate being accused of making things up.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

I think William 'The Refrigerator' Perry clocked somewhere just short of 25 stones at his peak.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

It's extremely unlikely that the median is less than a year if the mean is 26 months. You'd have to have a very strange distribution of life expectancies, with most of the inmates popping their clogs within a few months of arrival and a lucky few living there for many years.
    It makes sense that it is a strange distribution. People don't go into care homes because they're fully fit and healthy and while some can live for many years, the majority according to the source I gave earlier die within a year.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Well stop making things up then. Or at least quote your source if you expect to be taken seriously. I gave a concrete, reliable source for the figure of 26 months. You have given no source at all for your claim of less than 12 months, other than "I read it somewhere".
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Diddums
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

You mean like this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g6b7lckX2zE/THX7D3XuBpI/AAAAAAAABVI/fk7-z20ukqo/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-08-25+at+10.25.58+PM.png

From a US study, but likely representative of the distribution in other countries - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03005.x
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Well stop making things up then. Or at least quote your source if you expect to be taken seriously. I gave a concrete, reliable source for the figure of 26 months. You have given no source at all for your claim of less than 12 months, other than "I read it somewhere".
    Excuse me? Not only did I quote it, I tagged you in it.

@FeersumEnjineeya "56% residents dying within a year of admission" - https://academic.oup.com/ageing/article/43/3/375/16665

• Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

You mean like this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g6b7lckX2zE/THX7D3XuBpI/AAAAAAAABVI/fk7-z20ukqo/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-08-25+at+10.25.58+PM.png
    Thank you!
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

BJO posted a belated comment two threads ago saying that sources in Islington CLP have been told Corbyn is to lose the whip.

Leaving aside the fact he is now doubling down on his mindless racism, surely he deserves expulsion for the blatant defiance of Starmer, which effectively includes calling the new Labour leader a liar?

Kicking Corbyn out the party would be a master stroke. Would send a crystal clear message to the electorate. Next target Tony Blair.
    The SNP must be praying any purge doesn’t encompass Richard Leonard.

Edit - mind you, they were worried that Wendy Alexander being forced out would be bad news. Didn’t turn out that way...
    Kind of right. I admit that a lot of my colleagues value Leonard because he is so utterly useless (heck, witness my own gif), but personally I would prefer to see a brighter, more competent and pro-Scottish SLab leader. My logic being that independence is going to be very demanding not just on the winning Yes team, but equally so on the losing Opposition. It is in all our interests that *all* parties are lead by intelligent, pleasant, constructive, well-meaning people. Labour and the Lib Dems are getting there. Tories are miles off.

I’m a big Wendy fan, and always have been. She was the last good SLab leader. It was Gordon Brown who bullied her out, one of his biggest mistakes. Wendy was a truly strategic Unionist thinker. Gey few of those about.
    Your surely right about independence being "very demanding". The costs of a break-up will be huge and there will be zero acceptance on the part of RUK taxpayers to pay for any of it. After all, they won't have voted for it. It will be a bloody divorce with a very asymmetric cost being borne north of the border. The parallel negotiations to re-enter the EU will be fun too - wonder what price the Spanish Govt will insist on, given their pre-occupation with Catalonia?
    You’re surely right about UK independence being "very demanding". The costs of a break-up are huge and there is zero acceptance on the part of rEU taxpayers to pay for any of it. After all, they didn’t voted for it. It is a bloody divorce with a very asymmetric cost being borne north of the Channel. The parallel trade negotiations are fun too - wonder what price the U.S. Govt will insist on, given their pre-occupation with self-interest?
    But I thought you were in favour of SIndy? ;)
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Sorry, I missed that. I note though that it refers to a sample of residences from the south-east of the UK. It is not a national statistic like the one I gave.

I'd also note again that average does generally refer to the arithmetic mean. If you are instead referring to the median, then you should explicitly say so.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    LadyG said:

DavidL said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

Absolutely right.

You are more forgiving than me!

When they have the inquiry into Covid-19 in the unbearably hot summer of 2034, in the new capital of York-by-Huawai, the scientists must be interrogated, as much as the politicians.
    Just be grateful that the ill informed keyboard warrior morons who made absurd predictions that by now billions of people would have caught the virus and in the UK alone there would be millions of dead, won’t be hauled up in front of any inquiry.
  • Options
    So three sources now for median death being within a year.

Considering everyone can only die once, for the sense of the logical argument I was making in my original post I think median average is more appropriate than mean.
  • Options
    Paradoxically, that Buttler 50 isn’t unmixed good news for England. It will give Ed Smith all the excuse he needs to keep Buttler in the side and Foakes or Bracey, both of whom are better suited to Tests than Buttler, out of it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Paradoxically, that Buttler 50 isn’t unmixed good news for England. It will give Ed Smith all the excuse he needs to keep Buttler in the side and Foakes or Bracey, both of whom are better suited to Tests than Buttler, out of it.

Bring back YJB.
  • Options
    PT is such a bore
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Bring back YJB.
    Why? He’s not as good as Foakes or Bracey either.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Bring back YJB.
    Six test hundreds say otherwise, and he's a top top keeper.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Don't forget about Inzamam-ul-Haq of Pakistan.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

That is, of course, correct. In a hypothetical population of ten old ladies, if nine die after six months and the tenth lives for twenty years, the average life expectancy of the whole group can be described either as two-and-a-half years (mean) or six months (median and mode.)

It would therefore be interesting to know whether or not the population dynamics in care homes really do work like that. It sounds implausible on the face of it; however, generally speaking, people really don't want to go into care facilities (would you? I know I bloody well wouldn't,) and therefore tend to leave their own homes only when they become too frail to manage on their own.

If any group aren't going to have much left in the tank, it's going to be those who have been made to live in a nursing home because they are too frail to live independently. Thus, having a great many die quickly, with the mean value being skewed by the occasional outlier, doesn't sound so very odd after all. The same thing happens, albeit in a less dramatic way, with statistics for "average" earnings. The median is typically reported in preference to the mean, because the mean figure is shifted significantly upwards by the salaries of relatively small numbers of very high earners, thus arguably giving a false impression of the prosperity of the great mass of working people.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

People were taking their masks off in store today to talk, then replacing them, then touching products. Yuk.

Meanwhile anyone who dares to question the policy of compulsory mask wearing is being subjected to appalling abuse on social media. Quelle surprise.

It's like Remain vs Leave all over again.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Bring back YJB.
    Six test hundreds say otherwise, and he's a top top keeper.
    Six test hundreds in 123 innings, average 34.47

Foakes - one Test hundred in ten innings, average 41.

Bracey - yet to play Tests, but scored a 50 in every innings (bar one I think) he’s played for an England team.

Leave Bairstow and Buttler to the white ball stuff, where they are beyond sensational.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    On large players: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Perry_(American_football)

Was he world class? Good question. An American would say he was part of a World Championship winning team, but I’m not sure how many others would recognise the Super Bowl in that way.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Don't forget about Inzamam-ul-Haq of Pakistan.
    Or M C Cowdrey
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Similar footballer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Foulke_(footballer)
  • Options

On large players: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Perry_(American_football)

Was he world class? Good question. An American would say he was part of a World Championship winning team, but I’m not sure how many others would recognise the Super Bowl in that way.

American football is padded rugby.

If I wanted to watch a watered down version of real rugby then I'd watch rugby league.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

There will be a number of dementia patients who are physically very fit when they go into care and so can last a fairly long time. They would certainly skew the statistics.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

Great minds!

Interesting to compare that to the pre-covid Johnson. Also 5'8" but allegedly 17.5 stones. That's hefty - but perhaps did not look as obese as one might expect because of a relatively high muscle to fat ratio. Higher than Ranatunga even, which is surprising.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,080
    Bit of a reek of trying to convince himself. Not a whiff of mea culpa naturally.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1286693381620596736?s=20
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

He gave a source. You just ignored it as it didn't suit your narrative.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Sorry, I missed that. I note though that it refers to a sample of residences from the south-east of the UK. It is not a national statistic like the one I gave.

I'd also note again that average does generally refer to the arithmetic mean. If you are instead referring to the median, then you should explicitly say so.
    In this case though median gives a much better picture than mean: it’s a bit like half-life for radioactive decay. Calculating the average life of a carbon 14 atom would give a very misleading number.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Bit of a reek of trying to convince himself. Not a whiff of mea culpa naturally.

A world beating Prime Minister?
  • Options
    You have got to be joking.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

On average in the UK we touch our faces between 16 and 20 times an hour (although strangely a US study has it at between 23 and 26 times an hour). Masks have been shown to reduce the number of times people touch their face.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

There will be a number of dementia patients who are physically very fit when they go into care and so can last a fairly long time. They would certainly skew the statistics.
    Yes, that makes sense. The national statistic that I quoted gives a mean of 26 months and a median of 462 days. This is still longer than the median of less than 12 months given by Philip's source, but then his source is based on a regional sample rather than a national survey. That may explain the discrepancy.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

On average in the UK we touch our faces between 16 and 20 times an hour (although strangely a US study has it at between 23 and 26 times an hour). Masks have been shown to reduce the number of times people touch their face.
    The other side of the coin is that there is some evidence that mask wearers are much more relaxed about being close to others. Reminiscent of studies that suggests that drivers wearing seat belts tend to drive more recklessly.
  • Options

If I wanted to watch a watered down version of real rugby then I'd watch rugby league.
    Can’t disagree.
  • Options

No, he's quite good at that stuff. Being bouncy Boris.

What he's crap at is prepping for a pandemic
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

He gave a source. You just ignored it as it didn't suit your narrative.
    I didn't ignore it. I missed it, and I apologised for doing so.

Also, his source refers to the south east of England. It is not a national statistic, like the source I quoted.
  • Options

Insofar as I know anything about sport (not far), rugby league is much more of a flowing spectator game than American so-called football.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Insofar as I know anything about sport (not far), rugby league is much more of a flowing spectator game than American so-called football.
    Nah, rugby league has the fifth rule tackle which is rubbish.

In proper rugby you have to prise the ball from our cold dead hands.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

The other side of the coin is that there is some evidence that mask wearers are much more relaxed about being close to others. Reminiscent of studies that suggests that drivers wearing seat belts tend to drive more recklessly.
    Well, I did have someone get pretty close to me today who was wearing a mask, but it would have been pretty difficult for her to give me my immunotherapy treatment from 2m...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nah, rugby league has the fifth rule tackle which is rubbish.

In proper rugby you have to prise the ball from our cold dead hands.
    Will there be any rugby in a world of Covid? It's a sadly serious question
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Always said Chelsea fans are arseholes, George Osborne CH being the glorious exception.

A Chelsea football fan was jailed for two years and eight months for committing an aggravated assault on the Guardian columnist Owen Jones with a “karate kick to his lower back”, motivated by hostility to the writer’s leftwing and LGBT politics.

James Healy, 40, from Portsmouth, was sentenced at Snaresbrook crown court for “a frenzied and wholly unprovoked attack” last August that took place in the street late at night after Jones had been out celebrating his birthday.

Recorder Anne Studd, the presiding judge, said there were “very significant aggravating factors” as she handed down the sentence to Healy at the high end of the range available.

The judge described Healy as “a man holding extreme rightwing opinions who attacked a victim who did no more than hold opinions on which the defendant did not agree”....

...The three men were not detained in the immediate aftermath of the fight in the street, but the court heard that they were arrested after they were recognised from CCTV footage by officers familiar with Chelsea supporters known to police.

Healy had at least nine convictions relating to football hooliganism stretching back to 1998. A search of his property after his arrest revealed a collection of far-right hooligan memorabilia, loosely connected with the Chelsea Youth Firm.

McGhee, prosecuting, said Healy possessed “a greeting card, which bore Nazi far-right extremist terror symbols, including those associated with the far-right Combat 18 group, one of whose tenets is ‘kill all queers’”.

Also discovered was a Nazi SS flag bearing a “totenkopf” death’s head skull symbol plus “a number of pins of badges”, including a circular pin badge with the “lead the way” and “whatever it takes” motto of Combat 18 and a badge that said “Chelsea FC no asylum seekers”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/24/chelsea-fan-jailed-for-attack-on-guardian-journalist-owen-jones
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

Is that the mean average or median average?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

You poor fool.

Yes - but I think if you are willing to wear the mask the very act actually heightens your awareness of the risks of social intercourse. Overall I think it has a beneficial effect which far outweighs the negatives.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

In this case though median gives a much better picture than mean: it’s a bit like half-life for radioactive decay. Calculating the average life of a carbon 14 atom would give a very misleading number.
    Thank you. In the context of the logical (not political) argument I was trying to make regarding trying to understand the statistics I certainly think the median is more relevant.

Now that it's settled that the mean average is indeed within 12 months I wonder if anyone wants to go back to the original post that sparked that and say if it makes sense or not?

Logically to me if there are thousands or tens of thousands of care residents on PHEs database for having tested positive (even if months ago and they've recovered) then a considerable number may die of natural causes which will be a considerable factor in the non-hospital deaths getting recorded.

The fact we are not getting many hospital deaths, but lots of non hospital ones, and excess deaths are negative (on a real-time basis) to me this is the only thing I can think of that squares all those figures. Otherwise it doesn't make sense why people are dying outside of hospitals in considerable numbers but not inside.
  • Options

Always said Chelsea fans are arseholes, George Osborne CH being the glorious exception.

A Chelsea football fan was jailed for two years and eight months for committing an aggravated assault on the Guardian columnist Owen Jones with a “karate kick to his lower back”, motivated by hostility to the writer’s leftwing and LGBT politics.

James Healy, 40, from Portsmouth, was sentenced at Snaresbrook crown court for “a frenzied and wholly unprovoked attack” last August that took place in the street late at night after Jones had been out celebrating his birthday.

Recorder Anne Studd, the presiding judge, said there were “very significant aggravating factors” as she handed down the sentence to Healy at the high end of the range available.

The judge described Healy as “a man holding extreme rightwing opinions who attacked a victim who did no more than hold opinions on which the defendant did not agree”....

...The three men were not detained in the immediate aftermath of the fight in the street, but the court heard that they were arrested after they were recognised from CCTV footage by officers familiar with Chelsea supporters known to police.

Healy had at least nine convictions relating to football hooliganism stretching back to 1998. A search of his property after his arrest revealed a collection of far-right hooligan memorabilia, loosely connected with the Chelsea Youth Firm.

McGhee, prosecuting, said Healy possessed “a greeting card, which bore Nazi far-right extremist terror symbols, including those associated with the far-right Combat 18 group, one of whose tenets is ‘kill all queers’”.

Also discovered was a Nazi SS flag bearing a “totenkopf” death’s head skull symbol plus “a number of pins of badges”, including a circular pin badge with the “lead the way” and “whatever it takes” motto of Combat 18 and a badge that said “Chelsea FC no asylum seekers”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/24/chelsea-fan-jailed-for-attack-on-guardian-journalist-owen-jones

Typical Remainer
  • Options
    Why are we still talking about this
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,080
    LadyG said:

No, he's quite good at that stuff. Being bouncy Boris.

What he's crap at is prepping for a pandemic
    Or behaving appropriately at the stage of an ongoing pandemic which has already killed 50k people under his watch.

One note Boris.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840?s=20
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Yes world beating, indeed miles ahead.

In terms of Covid deaths per Million in all the major Nations of the World we are in a league of our own.

Waits for PT, Big G, Rob et al trying to convince us San Marino and Belgium are major Nations.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

Thank you Foxy.

Thank you. In the context of the logical (not political) argument I was trying to make regarding trying to understand the statistics I certainly think the median is more relevant.

Now that it's settled that the mean average is indeed within 12 months I wonder if anyone wants to go back to the original post that sparked that and say if it makes sense or not?

Logically to me if there are thousands or tens of thousands of care residents on PHEs database for having tested positive (even if months ago and they've recovered) then a considerable number may die of natural causes which will be a considerable factor in the non-hospital deaths getting recorded.

The fact we are not getting many hospital deaths, but lots of non hospital ones, and excess deaths are negative (on a real-time basis) to me this is the only thing I can think of that squares all those figures. Otherwise it doesn't make sense why people are dying outside of hospitals in considerable numbers but not inside.
    I would try an exponential decay model, but then I’m a Physics teacher and exponential decay models is almost our default model...
  • Options

Yes world beating, indeed miles ahead.

In terms of Covid deaths per Million in all the major Nations of the World we are in a league of our own.

Waits for PT, Big G, Rob et al trying to convince us San Marino and Belgium are major Nations.
    Not going to try. All I'd say is we don't have the figures yet. Wait until its all done and see excess deaths per million but frankly we don't have it.

I think our figures are (now) overestimating deaths and I think many other nations are underestimating them. Excess deaths are the only real metric.
This discussion has been closed.