Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Betfair WH2020 next President Market is about to reach £50

Comments

• Options

Great video by Boris sharing his achievements after 12 months. I hadn't seen that, thank you to all his critics who've been sharing it here laughing at it. Made me smile

It's designed for simpletons
    Whose votes count just as much as anyone else’s (at least they have done since, I think, 1948).
    It was just a joke...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,121
    CatMan said:

Went to my local coop earler. I'm in Wales (which as I'm sure most of you know, has no requirement to wear a mask in shops). Most people *weren't* wearing masks. I wonder if there will be a difference in the figures between Wales and England/Scotland in the next few weeks.

Probably offset somewhat by the pubs only serving outside. (Almost) mandatory mask wearing in Costco in Cardiff today, and maybe 50% mask wearing in St Davids Centre. Drakeford behind the curve this time.
  • Options

Great video by Boris sharing his achievements after 12 months. I hadn't seen that, thank you to all his critics who've been sharing it here laughing at it. Made me smile

It was beyond parody.
  • Options
    How is everyone's evening going?

I'm making a lovely curry for supper.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    edited July 2020
    Scum of the earth. They claimed it was an accident, then laughed as the death was described in court. They surely knew what they were doing? Hope they rot in hell.

"The criminal history of PC Andrew Harper's callous killers has been laid bare after they were cleared of dragging the "gentle giant" for over a mile to his death.

Driver Henry Long, 19, and his passengers Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers, both 18, wept tears of joy, hugged and patted each other on the backs in celebration as PC Harper's widow Lissie broke down at the verdicts.

The trio, none of whom are able to read or write, laughed and joked throughout the trial as the horrific details of PC Harper's death were read to the jury."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/criminal-history-andrew-harpers-killers-22412595
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,189
    nichomar said:

Info for those traveling to Valencia Mrs P?

Four new outbreaks in the Valencian Community: The Department of Universal Health and Public Health of the Valencian Community has detected four new outbreaks of between three and six cases in Cabanes, Elda, l'Alcora and Monforte del Cid. The outbreak in Gandia now exceeds 100 affected people as another 30 infections have been diagnosed (114 in total), and in the Santa Pola nightclub only six positives have been detected out of the 408 tests carried out. In total, in the Valencian community 117 new cases have been identified in the last 24 hours.

Thanks for the heads up. Not the best time to be heading over there but they are going...
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    isam said:

Complete c*nts. They claimed it was an accident, then laughed as the death was described in court. They surely knew what they were doing? Hope they rot in hell.

"The criminal history of PC Andrew Harper's callous killers has been laid bare after they were cleared of dragging the "gentle giant" for over a mile to his death.

Driver Henry Long, 19, and his passengers Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers, both 18, wept tears of joy, hugged and patted each other on the backs in celebration as PC Harper's widow Lissie broke down at the verdicts.

The trio, none of whom are able to read or write, laughed and joked throughout the trial as the horrific details of PC Harper's death were read to the jury."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/criminal-history-andrew-harpers-killers-22412595

I seldom agree with you, but absolutely, Mr Harper's final moments were truly horrible.

I am opposed to capital punishment in all its forms, but these three could be poster boys for its return for the murder or manslaughter of a police officer. They could almost turn a woolly liberal like me.

Truly horrific and shocking.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Trying to model my theory that the explanation for excess deaths being negative (weekly now not historic), next to no hospital deaths but continuously 50-100 community deaths is due to natural deaths in care homes from people who had COVID, recovered but PHE are recording it as COVID due to the known fact that PHE are recording any deaths of anyone who dies in community for any reason to be recorded as COVID if they'd tested positive in the past.

9,081 care homes took part in the ONS Vivaldi project earlier this year to model COVID19 in care homes: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/impactofcoronavirusincarehomesinenglandvivaldi/26mayto19june2020
    ONS estimates 293,301 residents in those homes.
    ONS estimates 10.7% of all residents across all those homes tested positive.
    That is therefore ~31,383 people residents who tested positve.

Estimating 20% morbidity due to COVID that would be 25,106 survivors.

Estimating 50% dying from natural causes within 12 months (multiple sources earlier gave higher figure at 12 months from admission): 12,553 natural deaths within 12 months.

Dividing to a daily total: 35 deaths per day average.

That's for the 9,081 homes surveyed by the ONS. According to one study there are 21,723 care homes in the UK and Channel Islands but I can't find an England-only figure. If we pro-rata England's population in that there would be just over 18,000 care homes in England. How representative the 9,081 studied by the ONS are though I don't know. If we assume they are representative then that would scale then to an estimated 70 natural deaths per day on average.

A few assumptions in there, but if I'm right then this would explain why we have negative excess deaths, next-to-no hospital deaths but regularly 50 to 150 community deaths daily.

What do you think? PS this theory would not affect historic figures, it is trying to understand current figures daily and weekly.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Looking at the politics and the personal, I no longer see Sen. Harris as prima facie more likely than Amb. Rice. What, she'll swing California?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,635

Very well here. Scottish Borders mutton stew (mature sheep, not lamb) with homegrown turnips and potatoes. And plenty of Australian red. Half of it is our curry tomorrow.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

I don't understand the "lockdown sceptics" opposed to masks.

Masks are the alternative to locking down FFS!

I think such people reveal themselves through such action as actually just being contrarian.
    https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery/status/1286658392019202053
    If forced to choose - would you rather be forced to wear masks but have no lockdown, or not wear masks but have another lockdown?
    You can quite plainly have neither
    Not necessarily. But its a simple question - if forced to choose which would you prefer?
    Yes nothing better than a binary. And I have a good one. Gun to head what would YOU choose between -

(i) all your dreams coming true except dinner with Boris.

(ii) dinner with Boris.
    All my dreams coming true, obviously. Not difficult.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

The primary goal is not to prevent you being infected, it is to prevent you from spreading the disease to other people.

It is transmitted via when people breath, or sing, or sneeze, or play beer pong.

When people wear masks, a large portion of droplets and aerosols from the upper repository tract are trapped, and even those that do depart the mouth and nose, go less far.

If everyone wore masks it would not completely stop CV19 transmission. However, it would make it much less likely that people with CV19 passed it on to other people unknowingly.

This is not complicated.

What gets me are the idiots who argue that because masks are imperfect we shouldn't bother with them. An "argument" that applies to essentially everything. I could beat those people with a big stick.
    What gets me is I don't see anyone arguing against underpants. Society deems it necessary that we cover our junk out of decency and even the libertarians amongst us are pretty happy we live in a society where pants-wearing is enforced.

So everyone is cool with the state legislating to make sure we cover up our bits in public, but when the state asks us to put a cloth covering over our faces to actually save lives, people lose their minds. Madness.
    But we aren't being asked to wear masks in shops to save lives we are being asked to wear masks in shops so they can shave a little of the R0 number so they can justify opening bars and restaurants again.

Inconvenience 100% in the hope of offsetting the disease spreading of the 30% that want to go have a pint or meal inside. Thankfully from what I see masks are being largely ignored here at least by small shops.

I am not aware of many if any hotspots that have been traced back to a supermarket, bars restaurants and nightclubs however. I personally would rather the last 3 had been left shut and think that we will have many hotspots crop up due to them

You'd literally rather bankrupt plenty of people's businesses and livelihoods and leave millions out of work than see people wearing a cloth mask? Madness.
    People havent had to wear masks in shops we have had no spikes because of it.
    Other countries have opened bars and clubs and have new spikes. Me wearing a mask in a shop won't make any difference to the spread.

Frankly if reopening pubs means lots of new spikes and deaths then keep them closed. People will have to find other jobs. I hear lots are being created in delivery services.
    We had no spikes because we were locked down. We don't need to be locked down anymore. Other restrictions are ending not just pubs etc
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    EPG said:

Looking at the politics and the personal, I no longer see Sen. Harris as prima facie more likely than Amb. Rice. What, she'll swing California?

Rice has no politics experience, and hasn't been tested on the debate stage. She can be categorised as "who is this woman who's a heartbeat from the Presidency?"

Harris is an experienced Senator, who performed well in cross examination in the Senate, and did OK in the early debates.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,843

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

The primary goal is not to prevent you being infected, it is to prevent you from spreading the disease to other people.

It is transmitted via when people breath, or sing, or sneeze, or play beer pong.

When people wear masks, a large portion of droplets and aerosols from the upper repository tract are trapped, and even those that do depart the mouth and nose, go less far.

If everyone wore masks it would not completely stop CV19 transmission. However, it would make it much less likely that people with CV19 passed it on to other people unknowingly.

This is not complicated.

What gets me are the idiots who argue that because masks are imperfect we shouldn't bother with them. An "argument" that applies to essentially everything. I could beat those people with a big stick.
    What gets me is I don't see anyone arguing against underpants. Society deems it necessary that we cover our junk out of decency and even the libertarians amongst us are pretty happy we live in a society where pants-wearing is enforced.

So everyone is cool with the state legislating to make sure we cover up our bits in public, but when the state asks us to put a cloth covering over our faces to actually save lives, people lose their minds. Madness.
    But we aren't being asked to wear masks in shops to save lives we are being asked to wear masks in shops so they can shave a little of the R0 number so they can justify opening bars and restaurants again.

Inconvenience 100% in the hope of offsetting the disease spreading of the 30% that want to go have a pint or meal inside. Thankfully from what I see masks are being largely ignored here at least by small shops.

I am not aware of many if any hotspots that have been traced back to a supermarket, bars restaurants and nightclubs however. I personally would rather the last 3 had been left shut and think that we will have many hotspots crop up due to them

You'd literally rather bankrupt plenty of people's businesses and livelihoods and leave millions out of work than see people wearing a cloth mask? Madness.
    Other countries have opened bars and clubs and have new spikes. Me wearing a mask in a shop won't make any difference to the spread.

Frankly if reopening pubs means lots of new spikes and deaths then keep them closed. People will have to find other jobs. I hear lots are being created in delivery services.
    We had no spikes because we were locked down. We don't need to be locked down anymore. Other restrictions are ending not just pubs etc
    and the only difference between now and then is they opened bars restaurants and non essential shops....its not the huge step change you claim.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:
    Dont know any of these two gentlemen unless one used to play rugby for australia! Again very arrogant view that people must be mad if they dont want a mask on or think mask wearing is going to be effective in getting rid of covid 19
    Jon Ronson is an author, who wrote the excellent Them: Adventures with Extremists, which is a highly entertaining read.

But ultimately, if you have CV19 (whether you realise it or not), and you wear a mask, you are less likely to transmit it. That is a fact, rather than "arrogance". Unless, in these febrile times, facts have become arrogance.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,316

England Deaths - Hospital vs Other Settings.

Usual caveats apply. Interesting that the slope on the 7 day trendlines is so similar.

I note that the 7-day moving average number of daily new cases reported for the UK has now risen to 656 from a low point of 545 on 8 July. Hopefully this doesn't represent the start of a second wave of infections, but it does look a little ominous. It'll be interesting (and of course worrying) to see if this is reflected in rising deaths over the coming weeks.
    July 8th was over a fortnight ago. If the increase in cases identified by testing actually represented a real increase in total cases in the community, then one would presumably expect data such as 111 calls, 999 calls and hospitalisations to have shown evidence of a resurgence already. What we actually observe is that the telephone enquiries remain static and hospitalisations continue to decline at a slow but steady rate, as patients who are either discharged or die continue to outnumber those being admitted.

It still looks as if the most likely explanation for the increase in confirmed cases is the carpet bombing of hotspots like Leicester with extra testing, resulting in the identification of more carriers in general, and asymptomatic ones in particular.
    It's also worth noting that there's hasn't been a big spike of deaths in Leicester or the other hotspots.

This isn't surprising, since the number of cases compared to the fatality rate is not actually that large.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

I think such people reveal themselves through such action as actually just being contrarian.
    If forced to choose - would you rather be forced to wear masks but have no lockdown, or not wear masks but have another lockdown?
    Not necessarily. But its a simple question - if forced to choose which would you prefer?
    Yes nothing better than a binary. And I have a good one. Gun to head what would YOU choose between -

(ii) dinner with Boris.
    Ok so (i).

You would sacrifice the dream of dinner with Boris in order to have all your other dreams come true.

That's what I thought you'd say. On balance I believe you.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

This is not complicated.

and the only difference between now and then is they opened bars restaurants and non essential shops....its not the huge step change you claim.
    And you can visit family and friends.
    And you can go into peoples homes.
    And you the vulnerable are coming out of shielding.
    And millions are going back to work.
    And you can go on holiday.
    And you can play sport.
    And you can go to theatres, cinemas and other entertainment.
    And you can go to gyms.
    And preschools have reopened.
    And schools are reopening.
    And people are going back to sports stadia next month.
    And more and more and more

Life is getting back to normal. In order to get back to normal we need to wear a mask because the mask cuts transmission instead of being in lockdown. You seriously would rather remain under lockdown for another 12 months rather than wear a mask?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited July 2020

It was beyond parody.
    Isn't it a parody of Jacinda Adern?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

(ii) dinner with Boris.
    Ok so (i).

You would sacrifice the dream of dinner with Boris in order to have all your other dreams come true.

That's what I thought you'd say. On balance I believe you.
    I don't dream about having dinner with Boris. Met George Osborne once while having drinks.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Not sure about shops in general, but brief experience thus far is that masks in takeaways in particular is largely completely pointless. Because it seems to be very difficult to communicate and most people are having to take them off to communicate their order.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Carnyx said:

Very well here. Scottish Borders mutton stew (mature sheep, not lamb) with homegrown turnips and potatoes. And plenty of Australian red. Half of it is our curry tomorrow.
    That sounds good: is the recipe as obvious as it sounds or would I need to look it up?

• Options

It was beyond parody.
    Isn't it a parody of Jacinda Adern?
    If it is a parody, it is such an excellent parody that it cannot be parodied.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    A group of people belonging to the bullfighting sector have received the Minister of Labor, Yolanda Díaz, with insults in Toledo and have asked for his resignation. The protesters say they feel abandoned by the Government in the face of the crisis generated by COVID-19 and assure that the bullfighting world is also culture.
    Bullfighting sector protesters rebuke Minister Yolanda Díaz in Toledo

Well it’s a view
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    alex_ said:

Not sure about shops in general, but brief experience thus far is that masks in takeaways in particular is largely completely pointless. Because it seems to be very difficult to communicate and most people are having to take them off to communicate their order.

It's a curiousity. I decided on breakfast at my local cafe in the Barking Road so I went in, ordered the usual Full Stodge and sat down removing my mask. In comes a man with a mask and orders a sandwich - he is told to wait and keep his mark on inside or go outside and wait and it's up to him.

He goes outside, takes off his mask and then the owner calls him back to collect his sandwich but says he has to wear a mask again. Okay - I'm sitting there sans mask waiting for my breakfast (soon no doubt to be banned under the new Boris anti-obesity laws - I'll have to go to an underground "Stodge-easy" to enjoy my greasy spoon in future) basking in the absurdity of it all.

100% mask compliance in WH Smith - I was the only customer. Mask wearing a little higher but still only 20-25% overall I reckon. Ho hum.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530
    Masks should have been brought in at the end of March when the epidemic was at its height.
  • Options
    Evening all :)

Let's not be too negative - Boris Johnson's path to power was laid out in the poll on June 12th 2019 which showed him to be the only Conservative leadership contender able to win a majority. In a very real sense, the game was up for the Opposition as Boris was the only candidate able to nullify Farage and once that was done defeating the most left-wing Labour leader in history and an LD leader riding roughshod over democracy was a piece of Victoria Sponge.

As to the future, it hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Perhaps she can get us accelerated entry to the EEA.... :D
  • Options
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,179
    stodge said:

alex_ said:

It's a curiousity. I decided on breakfast at my local cafe in the Barking Road so I went in, ordered the usual Full Stodge and sat down removing my mask. In comes a man with a mask and orders a sandwich - he is told to wait and keep his mark on inside or go outside and wait and it's up to him.

He goes outside, takes off his mask and then the owner calls him back to collect his sandwich but says he has to wear a mask again. Okay - I'm sitting there sans mask waiting for my breakfast (soon no doubt to be banned under the new Boris anti-obesity laws - I'll have to go to an underground "Stodge-easy" to enjoy my greasy spoon in future) basking in the absurdity of it all.

100% mask compliance in WH Smith - I was the only customer. Mask wearing a little higher but still only 20-25% overall I reckon. Ho hum.
    My personal theory is that we have been told to wear masks mainly because the behavioural scientists told the politicians it would act as a constant reminder, perhaps even subconsciously, that there is still a plague. This will help remind people not to forget the 2m rule and so on.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Masks should have been brought in at the end of March when the epidemic was at its height.

In hindsight yes I completely agree. Shame we didn't realise that at the time, lockdown may have been avoidable.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Rice has no politics experience, and hasn't been tested on the debate stage. She can be categorised as "who is this woman who's a heartbeat from the Presidency?"

Harris is an experienced Senator, who performed well in cross examination in the Senate, and did OK in the early debates.
    Maybe a little harsh on Rice. She's certainly been tested on the major weekend political talk shows and at the UN media circus. I'll grant that she's not run for election herself and has been defending others' policies, not her own, so it's not the same thing. But she's not a political rube by any means.
  • Options
    Having trivialised death via spreadsheets and graph, the economy is the next victim of statistical trivialisation.

The Services and Manufacturing PMI numbers released this morning "look" very good but are they all they seem? As far as I am aware, they are benchmarked against the previous month rather than against an absolute so 56 looks good but it looks good relative to 47 in June.

Shops have re-opened and pent-up demand was released and that shows in the figures but to what extent is this a "pulse" of growth followed by a return to a more subdued economy (more W than V if you will)?

It's clear spending is still happening but online rather than on the High Street and that may be the future. Instead of buying expensive swill at Pret A Manger and brackish brew from Starbucks (better than drinking mud), we are buying supermarket coffee and biscuits so Tesco's and Sainsbury's pick up the slack.

10,000 jobs created in home and online delivery services - that's capitalism for you.

The other aspect is the use of percentages - we are meant to coo in wonder and awe as retail sales leap 14% in a month (albeit from a very low base). The actual numbers are 1.9% down in June 2019 but that masks the new imbalance between online and offline sales.

Pre-Covid 20% of sales were online - that is now a third. That's a significant shift.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243

Bit of a reek of trying to convince himself. Not a whiff of mea culpa naturally.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1286693381620596736?s=20

A world beating Prime Minister?
    Yes world beating, indeed miles ahead.

In terms of Covid deaths per Million in all the major Nations of the World we are in a league of our own.

Waits for PT, Big G, Rob et al trying to convince us San Marino and Belgium are major Nations.
    I was just questioning Johnson's own analysis of the job he seems to think he has done over the last twelve months.

The lack of humility and self awareness is reminiscent of Trump.
    I lasted about 30 seconds before the overwhelming bombast made me throw up... How anyone can take that clown seriously is beyond me.
    Clowns belong in the circus, not in No. 10!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Having trivialised death via spreadsheets and graph, the economy is the next victim of statistical trivialisation.

The Services and Manufacturing PMI numbers released this morning "look" very good but are they all they seem? As far as I am aware, they are benchmarked against the previous month rather than against an absolute so 56 looks good but it looks good relative to 47 in June.

Shops have re-opened and pent-up demand was released and that shows in the figures but to what extent is this a "pulse" of growth followed by a return to a more subdued economy (more W than V if you will)?

It's clear spending is still happening but online rather than on the High Street and that may be the future. Instead of buying expensive swill at Pret A Manger and brackish brew from Starbucks (better than drinking mud), we are buying supermarket coffee and biscuits so Tesco's and Sainsbury's pick up the slack.

10,000 jobs created in home and online delivery services - that's capitalism for you.

The other aspect is the use of percentages - we are meant to coo in wonder and awe as retail sales leap 14% in a month (albeit from a very low base). The actual numbers are 1.9% down in June 2019 but that masks the new imbalance between online and offline sales.

Pre-Covid 20% of sales were online - that is now a third. That's a significant shift.

You are correct about the PMIs. If economic output went:

Then PMIs would have been positive for 11 months of the year, even though economic output was down massively.
  • Options
    Stodge: 1.9% down on June 2019 is quite impressive I think given much was still locked down then. Most shops only reopened mid June.
  • Options
    The Corbynites continue to distance themselves from the leadership. I bet Keir can't believe his luck
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,843

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

This is not complicated.

And you can play sport.
    And you can go to gyms.

Life is getting back to normal. In order to get back to normal we need to wear a mask because the mask cuts transmission instead of being in lockdown. You seriously would rather remain under lockdown for another 12 months rather than wear a mask?
    Yes I am enjoying lockdown entirely
    as to all those things most of them werent actually happening

Schools are reopening in september supposedly but I will believe that when it happens.

most of the things though like cinema's and theatres aren't going to happen either because it won't pay to reopen them. Permission to reopen isn't the same as reopening and you think all we need to do is wear masks in shops where there are no recorded resurgences despite the fact that throughout lockdown people were visiting shops maskless. There will be a resurgence and it will be people like you that cause it. In the mean time you are merely trying to incovenience the rest of us by your pal Boris pretending to take meaningful action.

Evidence within 3 days of the pub opening how many shut down again due to viral spread only was quite a few wasn't it.....how many supermarkets closed due to being the centre of viral spread during lockdown when people were going there maskless oh thats right it was a big fat zero!

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Andy_JS said:

Hindsight rules ok
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Then PMIs would have been positive for 11 months of the year, even though economic output was down massively.
    Also 50% down followed by 50% up does not get you back to where you started, but 25% down.
  • Options
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Hindsight rules ok
    It is afterall the year of hindsight. They always warned us that hindsight is 2020.
  • Options
    I suppose you could it Wallace's Revenge but a slew of Fox News polls from marginal States this evening make grim reading for the President.

Biden is ahead by nine in Michigan, eleven in Pennsylvania and thirteen in Minnesota. Last time, Trump won Michigan by a quarter of a point and Pennsylvania by half a point and Clinton won Minnesota by one and a half points so that's a fairly uniform swing of between five and a half and six points to Biden.

The commonality of the swing across the three states interests me most.

That's landslide territory.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Wouldn't it have been growing for 12 months? Anything above 50 is growth.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Andy_JS said:

OllyT said:

Anyone fancy some freedom fighter's tears?

https://twitter.com/LaraCrabb/status/1286568323887620096?s=20

I regularly come across videos of no-maskers (usually Americans) having tantrums in shops and airlines, last one being a "Karen" being hauled off an AA flight to great applause from all the other passengers.

Without exception they come across as total loonies. Why anyone could possibly get that het up about being asked to wear a face covering in the interests of trying to stop the virus spreading is completely beyond me.

Even if they think it's not going to do much good does it really matter? I think there must just be a small number of bloody minded souls that wander round looking for something to rant about, I suppose it's a form of attention seeking.
    Is it necessary for you to describe people you disagree with as loonies?
    I am specifically referring to the people in videos having tantrums about being asked to wear a mask, loonies is one of the politer expressions that comes to mind.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Hmm, that's not as I understand it, the PMIs are relative to 50, above 50 is GDP growth and below is a contraction. 57 is a good figure but it's relative to the 14 we had in April so we're seeing high growth from a lowish base.

Edit: I see we're in agreement. Though we're talking across purposes to some degree with Stodge. 57 is growth, but from a low base, they aren't benchmarked against the previous month, however, it's just a balance of sentiment.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Shurely shome mishtake?

That looks like it should be massively positive to me.

I thought any PMI of 50 was even, then anything more than 50 is positive, so the 100 is a massive positive at the start followed by staying still in month two, then 11 months gradually positive?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It'll be interesting to see how many people carry on wearing facemasks after they're no longer compulsory.

When they are no longer compulsory one assumes it will then be deemed safe not to wear one. Some will continue to opt for caution
  • Options

Stodge: 1.9% down on June 2019 is quite impressive I think given much was still locked down then. Most shops only reopened mid June.

The big change has been the growth of online sales - this notion people stopped spending isn't true. People simply went online - we ordered meat, fruit, veg and a whole lot of stuff online in April and May. We did big buying less often and I think that was typical.

Online as 32% of retail sales is a seismic shift from 20% pre-Covid and while I'm sure some pent-up demand was behind the initial push back in offline retailing, the evidence I'm seeing is shops are quiet again.

The other consequence of not travelling was the falloff in fuel sales - we stopped buying petrol because we weren't going anywhere. I suspect one of the consequences of the homeworking revolution will be fewer miles driven and while I'm not unhappy at the environmental impact, I have to say the return of traffic jams on the A406 is disappointingly predictable.
  • Options

So one thing to understand is PMIs are a a sentiment based indicator, it's basically a guy asking purchasing managers in companies whether their business is expanding or not, if there are more positive answers the higher the index will be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

robert said if 'economic output', not PMI, went 100 etc., then you'd have positive PMIs for 11 months.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

Cyclefree said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

Anyone fancy some freedom fighter's tears?

https://twitter.com/LaraCrabb/status/1286568323887620096?s=20

I just don't get the mentality here. If a government's diabolical plan to curtail my liberty involves making me cover up my ugly face in public whilst leaving my political and speaking liberty intact, I think I can live with it.
    The strangest thing about all this, for me, is that I have started to find masks "sexy". They make you concentrate on the eyes, and the rest of the face is left to your vivid imagination. Masks, in this light, are coquettish: like a flirtatious Victorian woman hiding her face with a lacy fan.

Covering up can be as erotic as revealing. The same process happens if you spend a long time in a conservative Islamic country.

Went to Tesco’s today and the butcher. Everyone was wearing a mask of some type.

What I miss is not being able to smile at people. Or have them smile back.
    Will be nice when we can get back to normal, but definitely better to be able to get out and about and at least see and talk to people, than being locked down again. Its remarkable how many states in the USA are now going into second lockdowns having to shut down pubs and restaurants etc again, lets hope that never happens again here!

Hope your daughters reopening is going well. Best wishes for her.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    My experience is similar stodge. I had to buy petrol for the first time in nearly two months last week. Bought myself an at-home milk frother to make lattes/cappuccinos at home to replace my takeaway coffees. Other than that coping but definitely spending more than 1.9% less than I was previously.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

This is not complicated.

Of course it's a huge step change. Prior to those openings our town centre was practically deserted, today it almost back to normal.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, that's not as I understand it, the PMIs are relative to 50, above 50 is GDP growth and below is a contraction. 57 is a good figure but it's relative to the 14 we had in April so we're seeing high growth from a lowish base.

Edit: I see we're in agreement. Though we're talking across purposes to some degree with Stodge. 57 is growth, but from a low base, they aren't benchmarked against the previous month, however, it's just a balance of sentiment.

If it's simply a measure of sentiment, it has little or no empirical value. People relieved at being back open and in business would regard any trade as an improvement and considerable growth on a month where they did no trade at all.

Yet, the volume of trade, though much greater than a month with no trade at all. might still be well below the volumes before Covid.

Statistics like this are then used as political weapons - gosh, a PMI of 57, the economy must be growing strongly. Well, yes, but it's not back where it was.

If you have 100 in February and fall 25% that takes you to 75 - if you then rebound 20% you don't get to 95 but to 90. I don't think many people understand the nuance and see the figures as better than they really are but then that's probably the point if I'm being cynical.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,055
    Andy_JS said:

"Coronavirus driven out in most local areas

Almost nine in ten people live in areas that have effectively driven out coronavirus, analysis of official data shows.

Ward-level data on positive coronavirus tests shows that 48 million people live in areas of England that have had no confirmed cases in the past four weeks, suggesting that local transmission of the virus has been halted." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-driven-out-in-most-local-areas-rmllw92z2

Last week's infection map shows how few areas now have any virus.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076
  • Options
    stodge said:

Let's not be too negative - Boris Johnson's path to power was laid out in the poll on June 12th 2019 which showed him to be the only Conservative leadership contender able to win a majority. In a very real sense, the game was up for the Opposition as Boris was the only candidate able to nullify Farage and once that was done defeating the most left-wing Labour leader in history and an LD leader riding roughshod over democracy was a piece of Victoria Sponge.

Well i don’t know. I notice Ed Davey responding to the PM today by calling for an urgent public inquiry into the Government’s failure to plan for the second wave.
  • Options

My experience is similar stodge. I had to buy petrol for the first time in nearly two months last week. Bought myself an at-home milk frother to make lattes/cappuccinos at home to replace my takeaway coffees. Other than that coping but definitely spending more than 1.9% less than I was previously.

Yes and both Tesco's and Sainsbury's have reported big increases in spending on tea, coffee and biscuits. I'm ordering more of my capsules for my coffee machine.

That's the homeworking revolution in its simplest terms.

I loved our home delivery meat orders - the quality was a million miles ahead of the supermarket crap and a pleasure to cook with. It's a pleasure to spend a little more and get such a leap in quality.

It would be ironic if, having driven local butchers out of business, the supermarkets were run out of town by proper meat wholesalers.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,593

What we've saved in petrol was offset by having to buy a new car battery.
  • Options

What we've saved in petrol was offset by having to buy a new car battery.
    Snap. Batteries going flat all over the place.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

If it's simply a measure of sentiment, it has little or no empirical value. People relieved at being back open and in business would regard any trade as an improvement and considerable growth on a month where they did no trade at all.

Yet, the volume of trade, though much greater than a month with no trade at all. might still be well below the volumes before Covid.

Statistics like this are then used as political weapons - gosh, a PMI of 57, the economy must be growing strongly. Well, yes, but it's not back where it was.

If you have 100 in February and fall 25% that takes you to 75 - if you then rebound 20% you don't get to 95 but to 90. I don't think many people understand the nuance and see the figures as better than they really are but then that's probably the point if I'm being cynical.

So it's sentiment based because it's a survey, but it does ask the questions - is your business growing, are you bringing in new orders, are you increasing employment so there is empirical value. I think they also weight the index by size of the client being asked, so if HSBC gave positive answers to all three that isn't negated by a cafe owner saying no to all three despite both of them being in the same index.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The PMI question - IIRC - is literally "are sales higher, lower, or the same as last month".
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    stodge said:

The big change has been the growth of online sales - this notion people stopped spending isn't true. People simply went online - we ordered meat, fruit, veg and a whole lot of stuff online in April and May. We did big buying less often and I think that was typical.

Online as 32% of retail sales is a seismic shift from 20% pre-Covid and while I'm sure some pent-up demand was behind the initial push back in offline retailing, the evidence I'm seeing is shops are quiet again.

The other consequence of not travelling was the falloff in fuel sales - we stopped buying petrol because we weren't going anywhere. I suspect one of the consequences of the homeworking revolution will be fewer miles driven and while I'm not unhappy at the environmental impact, I have to say the return of traffic jams on the A406 is disappointingly predictable.
    We have been fortunate in having a very good butcher in our village. We also signed up for fish deliveries from Grimsby and have been supplementing our own fruit and veg with stuff from the local farm shop. All of these have thrived in the lockdown.

We still do one shopping trip to a supermarket a week for general consumables etc but a hefty part of the spend that was not already directed locally has now transferred there. Nor will it return to the supermarkets.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    The iron fist of the feared Yestapo finally removes its velvet glove.

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1286596032990547970?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So it's sentiment based because it's a survey, but it does ask the questions - is your business growing, are you bringing in new orders, are you increasing employment so there is empirical value. I think they also weight the index by size of the client being asked, so if HSBC gave positive answers to all three that isn't negated by a cafe owner saying no to all three despite both of them being in the same index.

Yes if the questions are reflective of where you are based on where you immediately were, if the latter was no trade and no orders then anything would be an improvement.

I'm trying to get a sense of where we are based on where we were this time last year rather than where we were this time last month and on that basis the monthly PMIs are perhaps not as valuable a tool as I had hoped (those these are exceptional times).

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Texas would mean a massive win for Biden.

But I still wouldn't have money on him until he survives a couple of debates....
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The numbers I quote are for economic output, not PMIs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    stodge said:

Yes and both Tesco's and Sainsbury's have reported big increases in spending on tea, coffee and biscuits. I'm ordering more of my capsules for my coffee machine.

I loved our home delivery meat orders - the quality was a million miles ahead of the supermarket crap and a pleasure to cook with. It's a pleasure to spend a little more and get such a leap in quality.

It would be ironic if, having driven local butchers out of business, the supermarkets were run out of town by proper meat wholesalers.
    Getting fresh veg and salad boxes from local farmers courtesy of the village shop.
    Much tastier than from supermarket. And quite astonishing how much longer it stays fresh for.
    Not to mention the lack of air/road miles.
    Also. Nice to be surprised by what arrives rather than mindlessly buying the same things. Have discovered I like radishes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Shurely shome mishtake?

I thought any PMI of 50 was even, then anything more than 50 is positive, so the 100 is a massive positive at the start followed by staying still in month two, then 11 months gradually positive?
    My post was not clear.

Those numbers are not PMIs, but total economic output / sales. Because I put them on what appeared to be a 1-100 scale, it made them look very different...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kyf_100 said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Masks.

This is not complicated.

And you can play sport.
    And you can go to gyms.

Yes I am enjoying lockdown entirely
    as to all those things most of them werent actually happening

Schools are reopening in september supposedly but I will believe that when it happens.

most of the things though like cinema's and theatres aren't going to happen either because it won't pay to reopen them. Permission to reopen isn't the same as reopening and you think all we need to do is wear masks in shops where there are no recorded resurgences despite the fact that throughout lockdown people were visiting shops maskless. There will be a resurgence and it will be people like you that cause it. In the mean time you are merely trying to incovenience the rest of us by your pal Boris pretending to take meaningful action.

Evidence within 3 days of the pub opening how many shut down again due to viral spread only was quite a few wasn't it.....how many supermarkets closed due to being the centre of viral spread during lockdown when people were going there maskless oh thats right it was a big fat zero!

Because there was no way of knowing if a supermarket was the cause. No one was checking.

More straw man arguments from you.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    @CatMan save all the gloating until we see what actually happens.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The PMI question - IIRC - is literally "are sales higher, lower, or the same as last month".
    I think they ask a few more these days about order books and employment and I don't think they say last month, it's asked in isolation.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,765
    I really hope Texas goes Democrat. Not because it means Trump definitively loses, but because TSE has to eat a pineapple pizza :grin:
  • Options
    alex_ said:

stodge said:

Well i don’t know. I notice Ed Davey responding to the PM today by calling for an urgent public inquiry into the Government’s failure to plan for the second wave.
    I think we need to differentiate between central Government planning and local Government planning. It's been my experience local councils are excellent at hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

As to "planning for a second wave", the question will be the severity and virulence of such a wave. I'm yet to be convinced there will be a "second wave" but it will be interesting to see if those jetting off on holiday this weekend will impact the figures in three or four weeks time.

We have done extraordinarily well in this country to beat down the virus though I re-iterate there are still people suffering from it (my brother being one example) and others for whom the long term effects will be considerable in terms of the damage the virus has done.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Hooray. May it continue to last.
    CatMan said:

I really hope Texas goes Democrat. Not because it means Trump definitively loses, but because TSE has to eat a pineapple pizza :grin:
    He's eaten at least one in the last few years, has he not suffered enough?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Getting fresh veg and salad boxes from local farmers courtesy of the village shop.
    Much tastier than from supermarket. And quite astonishing how much longer it stays fresh for.
    Also. Nice to be surprised by what arrives rather than mindlessly buying the same things. Have discovered I like radishes.
    Try roasting the radishes. Was very pleasantly surprised the first time I did.
  • Options

We have been fortunate in having a very good butcher in our village. We also signed up for fish deliveries from Grimsby and have been supplementing our own fruit and veg with stuff from the local farm shop. All of these have thrived in the lockdown.

We still do one shopping trip to a supermarket a week for general consumables etc but a hefty part of the spend that was not already directed locally has now transferred there. Nor will it return to the supermarkets.

I don't think your experience or mine is atypical. We found an excellent meat supplier who normally supplied to the restaurant trade (and I now understand a little more of restaurant economics) but immediately went into home delivery and has recruited additional drivers and staff to deal with the demand.

Yes, it's more expensive than supermarket but the quality more than compensates. It is a joy to cook with meat of that quality and taste and with homeworking I now have the time to be artistic in the kitchen (no giggling in the cheap seats).

• Options
    CatMan said:

I think there is a chance, probably still less than 50%. But I also want it to happen as I want Trump to get less than 100 EC votes, just for the humiliation value.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Shurely shome mishtake?

My post was not clear.

Those numbers are not PMIs, but total economic output / sales. Because I put them on what appeared to be a 1-100 scale, it made them look very different...
    Right that makes sense. The fact that the post started with "You are correct about the PMIs" and then a 1-100 scale in the numbers made it seem like those were PMI numbers.

Yes absolutely if that's total output scaled to 100 that makes much more sense!
  • Options
    stodge said:

alex_ said:

stodge said:

I think we need to differentiate between central Government planning and local Government planning. It's been my experience local councils are excellent at hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

As to "planning for a second wave", the question will be the severity and virulence of such a wave. I'm yet to be convinced there will be a "second wave" but it will be interesting to see if those jetting off on holiday this weekend will impact the figures in three or four weeks time.

We have done extraordinarily well in this country to beat down the virus though I re-iterate there are still people suffering from it (my brother being one example) and others for whom the long term effects will be considerable in terms of the damage the virus has done.
    Yes. We were good at snuffing it out. Poor at letting it get a hold. Hopefully we've learned.
    Don't fancy another successful beat down.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    stodge said:

Yes, it's more expensive than supermarket but the quality more than compensates. It is a joy to cook with meat of that quality and taste and with homeworking I now have the time to be artistic in the kitchen (no giggling in the cheap seats).

May we giggle in the expensive seats?
  • Options
    luv u
  • Options
    Depends whether the polls are reliable. They were pretty inaccurate last time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,179
    TimT said:

CatMan said:

I think there is a chance, probably still less than 50%. But I also want it to happen as I want Trump to get less than 100 EC votes, just for the humiliation value.
    Not just the humiliation.

It has to be clear he has been absolutely slaughtered so that no amount of crap from him about rigged election and refusing to leave the WH will be tolerated by anyone other than a few last nutcases.

• Options
    stodge said:

I don't think your experience or mine is atypical. We found an excellent meat supplier who normally supplied to the restaurant trade (and I now understand a little more of restaurant economics) but immediately went into home delivery and has recruited additional drivers and staff to deal with the demand.

We are lucky also to be in a rural setting, so able to get farm to table meat, veg and fish (well, trawler to table for the last). So much better for a modest premium.
  • Options
    stodge said:

alex_ said:

stodge said:

Not sure if you missed my point that Davey was calling for an inquiry (obviously for the purpose of apportioning blame since all the Opposition politicians already seem to possess supreme certainty in what the Govt did wrong and why) into something that hasn’t even happened (or allegedly not happened) yet.
  • Options

stodge said:

May we giggle in the expensive seats?
    I'd expect nothing less than a ribald chortle, sir.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Depends whether the polls are reliable. They were pretty inaccurate last time.
    In the Midwest they were pretty inaccurate - which is what swung it - but elsewhere I thought it was reasonably accurate?

Interesting Texas was actually closer than the polls suggested, not that it mattered. But a similar bias this time would be fun . . .
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Try roasting the radishes. Was very pleasantly surprised the first time I did.
    Will give it a whirl. Not sure where I got the idea I didn't like them. Seems utterly bizarre now. An unexamined assumption or habit?
    Lockdown has been pretty good at exposing a few of those.
  • Options
    TimT said:

CatMan said:

I've projected 413-125 in the EC votes based on tonight's Fox News polls which show very similar movement across the three battleground states.

I do agree it will be to the long term benefit of the Republican Party for Trump to be, in electoral terms and to borrow a phrase oft used by TSE of this parish, "pounded like a dockside hooker".

There's nothing more final for a populist than being shown to be massively unpopular.
  • Options
    stodge said:

TimT said:

CatMan said:

I've projected 413-125 in the EC votes based on tonight's Fox News polls which show very similar movement across the three battleground states.

I do agree it will be to the long term benefit of the Republican Party for Trump to be, in electoral terms and to borrow a phrase oft used by TSE of this parish, "pounded like a dockside hooker".

There's nothing more final for a populist than being shown to be massively unpopular.
    I wonder how Johnson will be seen in a similar timeframe
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
This discussion has been closed.