Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joe Biden says his VP choice will be announced in the first we

2»

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    EPG said:

I don't know how many Republicans are going to be persuaded by this sub-SNL activity.
    More than you think. As these ads no doubt informed by polling & focus groups perhaps a wee bit more extensive & representative than PB audience.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It was poorly phrased, but I think Foxy’s point might rather have been prompted by the though that having fought a war avowedly against tyranny, it made it simply impossible to maintain any kind of national determination to hang on to empire.

The British Empire was never synonymous with tyranny - rather the reverse in many cases, such as India (if you want to look for tyranny locally, look to the Mughals..). And certainly the British public at the time wouldn't have thought it was. The reason why the Empire collapsed after WWII was the fact that Britain was fatally weakened and the US - which had always hated the British Empire - was ascendant.
    I think our domination of India was likely doomed after the 1919 massacre in Amritsar. The subsequent rise of Indian nationalism was always going to be irresistible.
    I would place a claim for the Second Boer War as a turning point of Empire. Not only because of some spectacular defeats, but also the public exposure of our cruelty in the treatment of the Boer families in the concentration camps. It was a phyrric victory, and within a decade South Africa was effectively independent.
    Perhaps; after all, Gandhi, who thought himself first and foremost British, was radicalised by his experiences in South Africa.
    The cognitive dissonance of a democracy maintaining an empire was unsustainable.
    Empire are inherently evil. Commonwealths, on other hand, have a natural capacity (however compromised at any one time) for good.

Interesting that in South Africa, the true role of the British turned out to be the defense of the Blacks. Thus earning the loyalty of non-White South Africans from Boer War forward.

One problem was proclivity of HM Govt in selling out Africans in favor of Afrikaaner, often with acquiescence if not urging of Anglo South Africans.
    I am not sure that either the Xhosa or Zulu wars are supportive of the British being the defenders of Black South Africans.

South Africa is a beautiful and tragic country, but part of the fascination is that their tourist slogan "a world in one country" is true in so many ways. The history of the place really is the world in miniature.
    Within a generation of those wars, Xhosa & Zulu were most definitely pro-Brit viz-a-viz Afrikaners.

Agree truly a fascinating country! Re: Africans & Afrikaners, interesting that Mandela achieved breakthrough by learning Afrikaans, absorbing large elements of Afrikaner culture & identity (such as rugby) and then dealing with their leaders face to face, eye to eye, man to man.
    Afrikaaner culture has so much in common with US hillbilly culture. Guns, covered wagons, an unforgiving religion, a sense of manifest destiny, a love of the outdoors, its pretty much all there. A Protestant culture abroad long enough to have bypassed the European Enlightenment.
  • Options
    EPG said:

After 9 out of 58 elections the vice-president took over the office during the term. I was surprised it was that many.

4 deaths from illness:
    WH Harrison > Tyler
    Taylor > Fillmore
    Harding > Coolidge
    FD Roosevelt > Truman

3 assassinations:
    Lincoln > A Johnson
    McKinley > T Roosevelt
    Kennedy > LB Johnson

Gerald Ford succeeded Nixon, but was never elected Vice President (or President)

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It was poorly phrased, but I think Foxy’s point might rather have been prompted by the though that having fought a war avowedly against tyranny, it made it simply impossible to maintain any kind of national determination to hang on to empire.

The British Empire was never synonymous with tyranny - rather the reverse in many cases, such as India (if you want to look for tyranny locally, look to the Mughals..). And certainly the British public at the time wouldn't have thought it was. The reason why the Empire collapsed after WWII was the fact that Britain was fatally weakened and the US - which had always hated the British Empire - was ascendant.
    I think our domination of India was likely doomed after the 1919 massacre in Amritsar. The subsequent rise of Indian nationalism was always going to be irresistible.
    I would place a claim for the Second Boer War as a turning point of Empire. Not only because of some spectacular defeats, but also the public exposure of our cruelty in the treatment of the Boer families in the concentration camps. It was a phyrric victory, and within a decade South Africa was effectively independent.
    Perhaps; after all, Gandhi, who thought himself first and foremost British, was radicalised by his experiences in South Africa.
    The cognitive dissonance of a democracy maintaining an empire was unsustainable.
    Empire are inherently evil. Commonwealths, on other hand, have a natural capacity (however compromised at any one time) for good.

Interesting that in South Africa, the true role of the British turned out to be the defense of the Blacks. Thus earning the loyalty of non-White South Africans from Boer War forward.

One problem was proclivity of HM Govt in selling out Africans in favor of Afrikaaner, often with acquiescence if not urging of Anglo South Africans.
    I am not sure that either the Xhosa or Zulu wars are supportive of the British being the defenders of Black South Africans.

South Africa is a beautiful and tragic country, but part of the fascination is that their tourist slogan "a world in one country" is true in so many ways. The history of the place really is the world in miniature.
    Within a generation of those wars, Xhosa & Zulu were most definitely pro-Brit viz-a-viz Afrikaners.

Agree truly a fascinating country! Re: Africans & Afrikaners, interesting that Mandela achieved breakthrough by learning Afrikaans, absorbing large elements of Afrikaner culture & identity (such as rugby) and then dealing with their leaders face to face, eye to eye, man to man.
    Afrikaaner culture has so much in common with US hillbilly culture. Guns, covered wagons, an unforgiving religion, a sense of manifest destiny, a love of the outdoors, its pretty much all there. A Protestant culture abroad long enough to have bypassed the European Enlightenment.
    Also when out on a date here, if each person pays their own way, it's called going Dutch.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

True in many respects. My impression is that Afrikaners, however, are MUCH more likely to learn other languages (English & African) and have some appreciation for other cultures, largely by being a minority in their own country, even when they temporarily held the whip hand (in more ways than one).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2020

Of all the candidates Tammy Duckworth seems to have by far the best "story" to tell - and would surely be a hard person to attack as unAmerican given her service. Not that it stopped them "swiftboating" John Kerry.

However I guess she is the "wrong type" of minority.

Wrong type for whom? Tammy Duckworth has long been third or fourth in the betting and is (or possibly was) on Biden's shortlist for background checks (that ended last week).
    It would go down like a lead balloon with the black community after all the virtue signalling that the VP should be black.

But tbh that's not the biggest issue with Tammy, as a personality I suspect she'll be very marmite-y.
    Among Black chattering classes, maybe. Among Black voters in general, not as big a deal as many seem to think.

Note just how well Kamala Harris & Cory Booker did with African American voters in South Carolina & elsewhere. Or rather, did NOT.

One reason for touting Harris, Rice, Bass, etc is to show that Black women WERE in strong contention, regardless of final choice.

My point is this: Biden needs a Black running mate as much as Bill Clinton did, in order to turn out Black voters. That is, he don't.
    The Black chattering classes are the Black voters.

Harris and Booker were already long out of it by South Carolina, and of course as you know neither is that popular in the Black community for various reasons anyway.

I don't know, this seems different. After raising the prospects of selecting a Black running mate, especially after the last few months, it would reinforce all the reservations they have about the Democrats.

IF White chattering classes and White voters are NOT identical, then why is that also not true of Black voters. Unless you are citing actual polling or somesuch?

And WHY were Harris & Booker out of it pre-SC? Was it because they could NOT make headway versus Uncle Joe, the man who stood by Obama through thick & thin?

As for expectations, that has been mostly expectations of NYT op-ed writers, bloggers, etc - mostly liberal White people.
    Because there isn't as much difference between the two.

Were you even watching the primaries? At the time Harris and Booker were out of it Bernie was in the lead, followed by Buttigieg, with Biden trailing and even his polling in the south was drifting. It was only after the other candidates metaphorically bludgeoned each-other in the debates that Biden was only candidate left standing with any significant enough appeal to the black community.

We'll see; maybe you're right, maybe it doesn't matter.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

EPG said:

After 9 out of 58 elections the vice-president took over the office during the term. I was surprised it was that many.

4 deaths from illness:
    WH Harrison > Tyler
    Taylor > Fillmore
    Harding > Coolidge
    FD Roosevelt > Truman

3 assassinations:
    Lincoln > A Johnson
    McKinley > T Roosevelt
    Kennedy > LB Johnson

Gerald Ford succeeded Nixon, but was never elected Vice President (or President)

The bad thing is with Biden's age combined with how divided, bitter and heavily armed the USA is right now, I wouldn't rule out either scenario tragically occurring within the next 4 years.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And seriously crap musical instruments (banjos, squeezeboxes).
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247

Dead heat in Veep stakes. 2.92

More remarkably, three successive ties:

Kamala Harris: 2.92
    Susan Rice: 2.92
    Karen Bass: 12
    Tammy Duckworth: 12
    Elizabeth Warren: 16.5
    Val Demings: 16.5
    Gretchen Whitmer: 28
    Michelle Obama: 48
    Hillary Clinton: 90
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 120
    Michelle Lujan Grisham: 140
    Stacey Abrams: 220

ETA as noted on the previous thread, someone is nibbling Gretchen Whitmer, who'd earlier been largely dismissed as a contender.
    Kamala Harris fans have logged into Betfair and she is now clear favourite again at 2.26 (roughly 5/4) but we should of course remember it is not long ago she was odds-on.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Spain had a very strict lockdown, plus everyone wearing facemasks, even outside. Why are they experiencing a rise in cases?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Spain had a very strict lockdown, plus everyone wearing facemasks, even outside. Why are they experiencing a rise in cases?

Good question. Googled and found this article giving an explanation why
    https://time.com/5871218/spain-coronavirus-cases/

They put it down to:

* Poor social distancing since lockdown was lifted
    * Poor/non-existant contact tracing
    * Encouraging visitors from overseas for tourism
    * Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers
    * Bars and clubs not following social distancing protocols
    * Slaughterhouses and care homes

So basically seems like they took their eye off the ball and tried to get back to normal, only to see the virus return as a result.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Also when out on a date here, if each person pays their own way, it's called going Dutch.
    Saddened by your anti-Batavian prejudice! Shocking use of the D-word to defame a great little people (or is that visa versa).

Bet you also like to talk about D____ courage, D____ uncles, D____ auctions & other D____ stereotypes. Sir, have you no shame?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Andy_JS said:

They put it down to:

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers

So basically seems like they took their eye off the ball and tried to get back to normal, only to see the virus return as a result.
    And, in particular, they took their eye off the ball in relation to super spreader events/activities/locations, such as tourism, bars/clubs, slaughterhouses and care homes.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Saddened by your anti-Batavian prejudice! Shocking use of the D-word to defame a great little people (or is that visa versa).

Bet you also like to talk about D____ courage, D____ uncles, D____ auctions & other D____ stereotypes. Sir, have you no shame?
    It's all double Dutch to me ...
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not so much as you would notice. I used to live and work in Holland. It's a great country.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's all double Dutch to me ...
    Me too - I have a well thumbed Dutch to Dutch dictionary.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not so much as you would notice. I used to live and work in Holland. It's a great country.
    Don't tell someone from Maastricht that you think Holland is a country ...
  • Options
    TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I plead ignorance - it was back in 1971. I was in Eindhoven
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Random anecdote with possible VP betting implications.

Driving my kids to camp today, I had to drive up Senator Harris's street in Brentwood, Los Angeles. There was a police block, and we had to detour a long way around.

Now, this may be nothing - like construction work. Or it could be unrelated political - like a visit from the Governor.

Or it could have been Biden. Is his schedule public?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

They put it down to:

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers

Thanks very much for this.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The Netherlands is the country, Holland is an area bordering on the North Sea. See the map in this article:

https://hollandreviewed.com/the-difference-between-holland-and-the-netherlands/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    rcs1000 said:

Driving my kids to camp today, I had to drive up Senator Harris's street in Brentwood, Los Angeles. There was a police block, and we had to detour a long way around.

Now, this may be nothing - like construction work. Or it could be unrelated political - like a visit from the Governor.

Probably to do with the arrival of Charles.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Perhaps there to protect her from hordes of consultants pretending to be paparazzi, or visa versa,
  • Options
    TimT said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The Netherlands is the country, Holland is an area bordering on the North Sea. See the map in this article:

Well bugger me backwards with a splintered fiddle - I never knew that. We live and learn.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Well bugger me backwards with a splintered fiddle - I never knew that. We live and learn.
    Holland is commonly used to refer to the whole of the Netherlands.

Guess what web address the official Netherlands tourist board website uses? That's right!

https://www.holland.com/global/tourism.htm
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Kamala Harris is now odds-on on Betfair, at 1.92.
  • Options
    Kamala Harris false alarm from Politico, which mistakenly published that Biden had chosen her on the 1st August (ie next Saturday).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/politico-biden-vp-kamala-harris-running-mate-mistake
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    One thing I think we should thank Trump for even though I dont like the guy

The american president was always regarded somewhat as the leader of the western world. The americans put a joke in and we realised the sky didn't fall. Doesnt really matter anymore who they put in apart from betting opportunities his station is just another country leader among many
  • Options

Kamala Harris false alarm from Politico, which mistakenly published that Biden had chosen her on the 1st August (ie next Saturday).

https://www.foxnews.com/media/politico-biden-vp-kamala-harris-running-mate-mistake

Not quite as bad as when UP published premature report in Nov 1918 that armistice had been signed. But not great for Politico.

One possible explanation: Politico has prepared stories for every eventuality, and somehow this one ended up getting published. OR could be scoop just bit too early. My guess is, it's first option.

BUT certainly does explain baracades in Brentwood (NOT a notably insurrectionary quarter of El Lay).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Guess what web address the official Netherlands tourist board website uses? That's right!

That's because all the things you want to see in the Netherlands are in Holland!
  • Options

Not quite as bad as when UP published premature report in Nov 1918 that armistice had been signed. But not great for Politico.

One possible explanation: Politico has prepared stories for every eventuality, and somehow this one ended up getting published. OR could be scoop just bit too early. My guess is, it's first option.

BUT certainly does explain baracades in Brentwood (NOT a notably insurrectionary quarter of El Lay).
    Kamala Harris is now 1.77 on Betfair. We do not know if this is a genuine sign or merely due to the false and/or prophetic story; well, I don't.
  • Options

Dead heat in Veep stakes. 2.92

More remarkably, three successive ties:

Kamala Harris: 2.92
    Susan Rice: 2.92
    Karen Bass: 12
    Tammy Duckworth: 12
    Elizabeth Warren: 16.5
    Val Demings: 16.5
    Gretchen Whitmer: 28
    Michelle Obama: 48
    Hillary Clinton: 90
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 120
    Stacey Abrams: 220

ETA as noted on the previous thread, someone is nibbling Gretchen Whitmer, who'd earlier been largely dismissed as a contender.
    Kamala Harris fans have logged into Betfair and she is now clear favourite again at 2.26 (roughly 5/4) but we should of course remember it is not long ago she was odds-on.
    Kamala Harris: 1.77
    Susan Rice: 4.4
    Tammy Duckworth: 15.5
    Karen Bass: 16.5
    Elizabeth Warren: 20
    Val Demings: 24
    Gretchen Whitmer: 30
    Michelle Obama: 44
    Hillary Clinton: 75
    Stacey Abrams: 90
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 95
  • Options

Kamala Harris is now 1.77 on Betfair. We do not know if this is a genuine sign or merely due to the false and/or prophetic story; well, I don't.
    It seems Joe Biden was actually in Delaware, making this whole story less likely.

Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. delivered his vision to combat racial inequities in the economy during a speech on Tuesday in Wilmington, Del.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/us/elections/biden-vs-trump.html#link-4e05e420
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2020
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The Sky paper review is not good for those hoping a second wave is not on us

It seems right across Europe countries are seeing worrying evidence of increased covid and the common denominator appears to be young people gathering in large groups

For all those attacking HMG today, Boris has got this right and indeed Nicola is telling Scots not to book foreign holidays

One third of worldwide infections have occurred this month.
    The plague is accelerating. Just going through a quiet spell in Europe I fear.
    I think the most likely source of imported infection will now be from the subcontinent. Indeed that may already be part of the explanation for the current geography of UK coronavirus.
    Well yes, and this is a massive elephant in the room, isn’t it. Because even if current quarantine rules are followed they would likely be insufficient against this problem.

People going on holiday to Europe tend to go in family groups and with people they live with. Hopefully most are taking reasonable precautions when out there. And if subject to quarantine would have less “leakage” when they got back.

But visitors from the subcontinent are far more likely to be individual family members coming to stay with other family members. Even if they subject themselves to quarantine, this will not apply to the people they live with unless they become symptomatic and/or return a positive test. By which time it will be too late.

We really need to be banning travel from the subcontinent full stop - or imposing “hotel quarantine” on travel from there. Trouble is, an attempt to distinguish like this will be howled down as racist.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    dixiedean said:
    Starmer said: “We are lucky to have many world-class tourist destinations across the UK. But the jobs crisis facing tourist towns is stark.”

Starmer's started saying it now!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

TimT said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

True, but for some Dutch from the non-Holland parts of the Netherlands, referring to the country as Holland is almost as red meat as it would be for a Scot to hear Scotland being referred to as a part of England.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:
    Starmer said: “We are lucky to have many world-class tourist destinations across the UK. But the jobs crisis facing tourist towns is stark.”

Presumably being “world class” is a bit of a handicap at the moment. “Local class” is really the place to be positioned...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Remote possibilities: Can every home in Japan become an office?
    The COVID-19 pandemic is prompting companies to adopt remote work policies, accelerating the digital shift of the workspace
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/23/business/working-from-home/
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
    Because saying something is "world class" doesn't make it so.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited July 2020
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

It seems right across Europe countries are seeing worrying evidence of increased covid and the common denominator appears to be young people gathering in large groups

For all those attacking HMG today, Boris has got this right and indeed Nicola is telling Scots not to book foreign holidays

I think the most likely source of imported infection will now be from the subcontinent. Indeed that may already be part of the explanation for the current geography of UK coronavirus.
    Well yes, and this is a massive elephant in the room, isn’t it. Because even if current quarantine rules are followed they would likely be insufficient against this problem.

People going on holiday to Europe tend to go in family groups and with people they live with. Hopefully most are taking reasonable precautions when out there. And if subject to quarantine would have less “leakage” when they got back.

But visitors from the subcontinent are far more likely to be individual family members coming to stay with other family members. Even if they subject themselves to quarantine, this will not apply to the people they live with unless they become symptomatic and/or return a positive test. By which time it will be too late.

We really need to be banning travel from the subcontinent full stop - or imposing “hotel quarantine” on travel from there. Trouble is, an attempt to distinguish like this will be howled down as racist.
    The two biggest worries about a Covid second wave in the UK are a) imported from the sub-continent and b) dispersed domestically by traveller communities. Holidaymakers in Spain is something of a sideshow in comparison.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
    What a daft comment from you. (I was a lot ruder than that but decided to temper it.)

I travel all over the world. Have done most of my life. There are plenty of destinations in the UK which are world-class. Furthermore, our leaders need right now to encourage people not to travel. To 'Staycation.'

So Starmer and Johnson are absolutely right to emphasise our own world-class options. It's called leadership.

If you can't find anything sensible to criticise go away and do something useful.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
    What a daft comment from you. (I was a lot ruder than that but decided to temper it.)

I travel all over the world. Have done most of my life. There are plenty of destinations in the UK which are world-class. Furthermore, our leaders need right now to encourage people not to travel. To 'Staycation.'

So Starmer and Johnson are absolutely right to emphasise our own world-class options. It's called leadership.

If you can't find anything sensible to criticise go away and do something useful.
    That's not what Starmer's getting at. He's saying that they are world class but because people can't go to them, they need bailing out.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Andy_JS said:

Note your own use of the past tense “had”. Then factor in imported cases due to tourism.

The elephant in the room is airports. Not just in Spain, but worldwide. Governments need to come down on them like a ton of bricks, eg. with total prohibition of shops and restaurants within airports; and “quarantine” meaning quarantine.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Note your own use of the past tense “had”. Then factor in imported cases due to tourism.

The elephant in the room is airports. Not just in Spain, but worldwide. Governments need to come down on them like a ton of bricks, eg. with total prohibition of shops and restaurants within airports; and “quarantine” meaning quarantine.
    I thought the touristy areas didn't have it? Isn't that the basis for the complaints from the travel industry?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Honestly, the government releases 50,000 free £50 bike repair vouchers late last night, and even at 5.30 am the website has collapsed under the pressure. I have wasted the last 45 minutes fruitlessly trying to register for the scheme, but it is like trying to buy tickets for the Olympics. And I don’t think parts of the government website even work, at least on an iPad.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The two biggest worries about a Covid second wave in the UK are a) imported from the sub-continent and b) dispersed domestically by traveller communities. Holidaymakers in Spain is something of a sideshow in comparison.
    Traveller communities are pretty self contained and doubt they have the interactions to create a wider second wave
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
    Blairite modernisation all over again. Modernisation tended to mean buggering something up by reorganising it for no good reason.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?

So true: Hampstead, St John's Wood, Fitzrovia, Belsize Park, Bloomsbury, Covent Garden, Primrose Hill. The UK is full of world class destinations
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Honestly, the government releases 50,000 free £50 bike repair vouchers late last night, and even at 5.30 am the website has collapsed under the pressure. I have wasted the last 45 minutes fruitlessly trying to register for the scheme, but it is like trying to buy tickets for the Olympics. And I don’t think parts of the government website even work, at least on an iPad.

Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme
    Due to extreme volumes of traffic this resource has been temporarily paused whilst we take action to improve performance for users

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Andy_JS said:

Tracel per se is dangerous and holidays abroad this year are a daft idea. However, the vast majority of outbreaks here in Spain relate to agricultural workers and internal tourism - family gatherings, parties, dscos, etc. The hard lockdown needed to be eased more gradually and night time venues should have been much more strictly controlled. I believe they are still closed in the UK which makes sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Tracel per se is dangerous and holidays abroad this year are a daft idea. However, the vast majority of outbreaks here in Spain relate to agricultural workers and internal tourism - family gatherings, parties, dscos, etc. The hard lockdown needed to be eased more gradually and night time venues should have been much more strictly controlled. I believe they are still closed in the UK which makes sense.
    Travel is just moving through space, which all except those hiding indoors are already doing. Travel by air is clearly a significant risk but it is perfectly possible to travel abroad just as safely as travelling to the supermarket or local pub.

If you restrict travel to relatively safe locations abroad, all you do is increase further the crush at popular UK resorts. Last week I was in the Cotswolds, Cornwall and the Dorset coast, and now I am back on the island, and the crush at some of the popular spots has to be seen to be believed. The island so far is the least crowded, presumably the additional cost and hassle of crossing the water remains a deterrent.
  • Options
    Antwerp back into lockdown.
  • Options
    New thresd
  • Options
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

Internal tourism, as you imply, is far from risk-free. I fail to see the problem with simply accepting that this year everyone ought to holiday within their own small corner of the world. Most people have tons of things to do and see within an hour or two of their home. Self-education, self-improvement and thrift used to be considered part of the very foundations of European society. Hard to see why they went out of fashion.

I return to work on Monday after over five weeks holiday (I have rights to ridiculously long periods of leave) and have only travelled within a tight corner of the country. We have had a great time, and have seen and done lots of things we would have missed if we’d taken a fortnight in Sicily (our recent favourite).
  • Options

The new thread is over there ->

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Purely a PR stunt. Unless you are living in poverty abstain for applying for things like this.

Most people can repair a bicycle: 80% of repair & maintenance is within the competence of anybody (Google is your friend, and most libraries stock a book on cycle maintenance), and the 20% that is tricky and usually needs an experienced bike technician is relatively cheap.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?
    Blairite modernisation all over again. Modernisation tended to mean buggering something up by reorganising it for no good reason.
    Eg the Tory “re-organisation” of local government in the 1970s which abolished the historic shires and burghs? History will judge Johnson as harshly as Blair: much shuffling of deckchairs while the ship slowly sinks.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

They put it down to:

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers

Spain? Or England?

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

What's wrong with that?

So true: Hampstead, St John's Wood, Fitzrovia, Belsize Park, Bloomsbury, Covent Garden, Primrose Hill. The UK is full of world class destinations
    Post of the week?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

Andy_JS said:

They put it down to:

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers

Spain? Or England?

* Teenagers
    * Seasonal workers
    Scotland
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

• Options