Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 65 years of Tory Prime Ministers – their educational backgroun

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

@Andy_Cooke , @AndyJS What number would I even use though - neither of my neighbours have a number and the even numbered houses aren't 'opposite' ! There'd be absolubtely no benefit to me assigning myself say the number 11 rather than keeping the name.

Go for a name AND a number?

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
    So the Government announces its given everyone a number.

Those who already have numbers will shrug, because they don’t care.
    Those who don’t, will simply ignore it.

The end.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

Absolutely loving the contradictory statements about reasons for barring people from being candidates in HK to no deprivation of basic rights. Barred for objections in principle to the security law. Freedom.

They just dont give a shit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53593187

Wow. These reasons, WTAF this is how democracy is meant to work.

* expressed "an objection in principle" to the imposition of the national security law by central authorities in Beijing

* expressed "an intention to exercise the functions of a LegCo Member by indiscriminately voting down" any legislative proposals introduced by the Hong Kong government, "so as to force the government to accede to certain political demands"
    Oh they understand democracy very well I am sure. It's the confidence they have to simultaneously act as they are and claim it's no big deal which depresses me.

Hopefully they are, like the local elections, misreading the local mood and its acquiescence to their plans, but the worry is they learned their lesson and are taking no chances this time. Even if people get elected they can prevent them from standing.
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

@Andy_Cooke , @AndyJS What number would I even use though - neither of my neighbours have a number and the even numbered houses aren't 'opposite' ! There'd be absolubtely no benefit to me assigning myself say the number 11 rather than keeping the name.

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
    As many do already. Seems perfect.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

In the 21st century with online deliveries as well as post etc I can't understand why anyone would want a street with names rather than numbers. Its ineffective nonsense.

Names as well as numbers fair enough. But all homes should have a number, street name and a postcode.

Personal choice is one reason.
    Personal choice doesn't explain why you'd want it. I could choose to stick my head in a fully heated oven too but I can't understand why anyone would want to do that either.

The purpose of an address isn't for you to find your own home, you presumably already know where you live. The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.

Do some people choose not to have a post code either?
    Philip, some (My) house doesn't have a number !!

People should stick to whatever comes up in here https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode, but if people want to change give out a false name or number to Amazon or whoever that's up to them at the cost of potentially missed deliveries and so forth.
    I agree that some don't have one, but I do think that giving all homes a number shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

I presume you've been given a post code already despite the fact that your original title deed didn't have one?
    You're proposing a massive beaurocratic exercise assigning every house outwith a number on https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode to be assigned a number instead of sticking with the original Postal Address File name ?!
    And you call yourself a libertarian ?!
    I don't think giving addresses a number is that massive or bureaucratic.

You keep referring to that postcode website but don't answer my question. Originally addresses didn't have postcodes either. Postcodes were an addition because they were logical. So too are numbers.

Did your original title deed have a post code? Yes or no?
    Does your address today have a post code? Yes or no?
    No, the number or name almost invariably came with the house. And properties are known by that on the Postal address finder. It'd confuse everyone, particularly the postman, if we switched to numbers on my street.
    If someone really can't find me I can what3words the address.
    "Collect House Burglary" would work.
    Can you explain what3words is please saw it on news yesterday never heard of it before
    The world divided into very small squares (can't recall, but something like 3m x 3m) and given a unique set of three words, such as heavy/square/trumpet. The idea being those three words pinpoint you to that 3m x 3m square, and are easier to use than traditional map coordinates.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

kle4 said:

Must say I am amazed at the visceral reaction to philip Thompsons suggestion on postal addresses, I didn't know people cared so much.

Especially since I said I have no desire to see anything compulsory, its just personal preference. Seems to have really touched a nerve though, I wonder why?
    Well if you combined your suggestion that every house 'should' have a number @Andy_Cooke suggestion that people can't expect to get deliveries unless they do it'd mean a consultation with all 10 named houses on my side of the street (I don't really know these people) to decide on numbers that most people probably won't want anyway, getting in touch with the Post Office to propose the new system for the road and so on....
    We're probably running a few weeks behind again.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

The influence of Eton is more concerning than that of Oxford Uni. Hopefully "Boris" Johnson is the last of this dismal breed to realize their 'born to misrule' destiny.

Why would he be the last when the public has been shown as perfectly willing to elect Old Etonians? If anything recent performance from Cameron and Boris will make more Old Etonians realise such a destiny, after a long time without one as PM.
    I fear you are right. The egalitarian spirit is not at this present time in the ascendancy.
    Why should the public saddle themselves with worse Prime Ministers with all that means just because of the school they went to? Being Prime Minister is such an important job that you want the best person for it, regardless of irrelevant considerations.

On this, as so often, the masses are much more sensible than those who want to be their spokesmen.
    I submit that one cannot contemplate the current occupant and conclude with any degree of confidence that we tend to get the best person for the job.
    Not best, but certainly better than the alternative.
    People in Coventry and Birmingham still put Warwickshire in their address, despite not being part of Warwickshire for 46 years. They do not give a F what is official and what is not.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

In the 21st century with online deliveries as well as post etc I can't understand why anyone would want a street with names rather than numbers. Its ineffective nonsense.

Names as well as numbers fair enough. But all homes should have a number, street name and a postcode.

Personal choice doesn't explain why you'd want it. I could choose to stick my head in a fully heated oven too but I can't understand why anyone would want to do that either.

The purpose of an address isn't for you to find your own home, you presumably already know where you live. The purpose of an address is to help others find your home and the best way of doing that is street number, street name and postcode.

Many people prefer a house name to a number precisely because it makes it harder for just anyone to find your home. Addresses are for the post, and parts of the address are used by couriers.
    That makes no sense to me.

I can understand not wanting people to know your address, so you don't give it out or keep it a secret. I wouldn't put my address on this site as I have no reason to do so.

But if you're giving your address to someone you presumably want them to find that. That's the purpose of giving the address, is so that the delivery or post or whatever can get there.

I don't see any logical reason to give someone an address and simultaneously want it to be hard for them to find it.
    Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Many people prefer a house name to a number precisely because it makes it harder for just anyone to find your home. Addresses are for the post, and parts of the address are used by couriers.
    There's two types of houses with names. Those with officially a number, where someone has stuck a sign and gives out their address as a name just to be awkward as you describe.
    And houses that simply do not have a number !
    edited July 2020

People in Coventry and Birmingham still put Warwickshire in their address, despite not being part of Warwickshire for 46 years. They do not give a F what is official and what is not.

The post office doesnt care about counties. Many are the addresses on the edge of one they list as being in another based, I presume, on proximity of the nearest sorting hub. Makes sense for their purposes.
    edited July 2020
    kle4 said:

The post office doesnt care about counties. Many are the addresses on the edge of one they list as being in another based, I presume, on proximity of the nearest sorting hub.
    Yeah I know that. The only thing that matters is the house name/number and post code, but that’s not the point. In fact the “county” does not appear in official addresses at all.

It’s all about “post towns”.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Must say I am amazed at the visceral reaction to philip Thompsons suggestion on postal addresses, I didn't know people cared so much.

Especially since I said I have no desire to see anything compulsory, its just personal preference. Seems to have really touched a nerve though, I wonder why?
    Well if you combined your suggestion that every house 'should' have a number @Andy_Cooke suggestion that people can't expect to get deliveries unless they do it'd mean a consultation with all 10 named houses on my side of the street (I don't really know these people) to decide on numbers that most people probably won't want anyway, getting in touch with the Post Office to propose the new system for the road and so on....
    Should be very easy to do.

I keep asking and you keep not answering but the Post Office has presumably given you a postal code despite it not being on the original deeds to the house? Do you object to that? What is the harm?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

I can understand not wanting people to know your address, so you don't give it out or keep it a secret. I wouldn't put my address on this site as I have no reason to do so.

But if you're giving your address to someone you presumably want them to find that. That's the purpose of giving the address, is so that the delivery or post or whatever can get there.

I don't see any logical reason to give someone an address and simultaneously want it to be hard for them to find it.
    Perhaps it's a registered address for a business? Perhaps you're running for office.

There are many places in which you're obliged (or every much incentivised) to put an address, but which you don't want it be easy to find.

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Should be very easy to do.

I keep asking and you keep not answering but the Post Office has presumably given you a postal code despite it not being on the original deeds to the house? Do you object to that? What is the harm?
    There is no harm, but there’s also no benefit, as it will simply be ignored.

If someone is described as having a "West Midlands accent" though - that person generally isn't from Coventry :D
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

The dominance of Eton in Tory PMs is even greater when one remembers that PMs Thatcher and (possibly, in terms of admitting females to the sixth form at the time?) May were disqualified from Eton anyway by being girls.

Stonking point. Thus of the last 7 eligible Tory PMs, FIVE (!) went to Eton. A scandal really when you stop to think about it. How on earth can this be?
    I see no scandal. It simply shows that Eton is a good school and should be encouraged to be as good as it can be so that the public sector can learn from it.
    Hilarious trolling.
    I dunno. If teachers were paid double what they are in the state sector and had a 1:7 SSR (without checking) I think many of our educational problems would disappear.
    Is that a policy you support then - you being paid double?
    I’d settle for that SSR myself.

I’ve seen a lot of my colleagues head off to the independent sector over the years. Possibly half of the ones that don’t leave by retirement.
    Maybe not double (salary) but I will launch myself into your good books by saying that imo the transformation of teaching into a high status high pay profession to rank with law and medicine is my silver bullet along with 100% comps, no privates, resource skewed towards disadvantaged areas.

"Mum, I've decided to become an investment banker."

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

"You don't seem pleased."

"It's not that. It's just that you're so bright and everything - me and your father were rather hoping you might aim a little higher than that. Try and get into teaching even."
    Unless you make all comps outstanding that is never happening, middle class parents will not touch inadequate or requires improvement comps with a bargepole
    They will need to elevate and keep their eyes on the prize.
    By sending their children private to a grammar or by buying a house in an outstanding comp or academy catchment area or going to church more often to get a vicar's note to get into one
    There will be little or none of that as I envisage things. Certainly no vicar involvement. What there will be is a transformed social and educational landscape.

"Where did you go to school?"

"Er, what do you mean? ... I went to school."

THIS is the prize.
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

There's two types of houses with names. Those with officially a number, where someone has stuck a sign and gives out their address as a name just to be awkward as you describe.
    Indeed, my parents live in a house that has no number. No houses on the road (its several miles long) do.

All the delivery companies know the location of the houses.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Good blog post on why what3words is crap: https://blog.ldodds.com/2016/06/14/what-3-words-jog-on-mate/

I love what3words it is great for what it is ie be able to pinpoint a location you need to find or you need someone else to find.
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps it's a registered address for a business? Perhaps you're running for office.

There are many places in which you're obliged (or every much incentivised) to put an address, but which you don't want it be easy to find.
    I thought a PO Box was the usual solution to that if you want it to be private and unfindable.

If you put an address out it can be found whether its name or number. Name just makes it irritating, it doesn't add any protection.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

Morning all,

Feels like grim news on the plague this morning. Ten days isolation, warnings that in two weeks we could have another surge etc etc.

:-(

I do wish this Government would move away from the notion that part of being an aspirational Tory is the requirement to travel abroad several times a year for your holidays. Firstly, it buggers the balance of payments. Secondly, in current circumstaces it buggers the health of the nation.

Currently the wider world is still full of Covid. The UK is not - at a high cost to get there. We should be taking a wide range of measures to ensure that the two systems do not achieve equilibrium.

That will require some very hard-nosed decisions on stopping travel from the sub-Continent. It will be tagged by the usual suspects as "racism". It isn't. It is protecting the most at risk in our community - which evidence shows to include those of sub-continent heritage.
    Your last point is incredibly important. It borders on farce that there are complaints about 'overpolicing' of covid-19 restrictions amongst BAME communities, whilst at the same time, there are complaints from very similar quarters about high levels of covid-19 in those same communities. Should the police crack down, or let it rip?
    TOPPING said:

Good blog post on why what3words is crap: https://blog.ldodds.com/2016/06/14/what-3-words-jog-on-mate/

I love what3words it is great for what it is ie be able to pinpoint a location you need to find or you need someone else to find.
    But it isn’t. It’s a proprietary solution for something that is already open and available.

Like I said, if you have GPS available to generate your three words, you also have enough signal to send someone your actual exact location.

Likewise it gives you no locational awareness. henry two football could be 2000 miles away from henry three football. The exact opposite of what you want in a system of this sort.
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, my parents live in a house that has no number. No houses on the road (its several miles long) do.

Great for the companies.

Do all of the drivers on minimum wage trying to find an address on a several miles long road?

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Do all of the drivers on minimum wage trying to find an address on a several miles long road?
    Yes, because they’re following their phones.

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought a PO Box was the usual solution to that if you want it to be private and unfindable.

If you put an address out it can be found whether its name or number. Name just makes it irritating, it doesn't add any protection.
    PO Boxes work for some - but if you have a house name its less necessary.

It is amazing what happens when you run a business. Friends who have online businesses that explicitly state "online only, no callers" do get people knocking on their door.

Never happened when my business was at my parents' house....

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Phones are great for finding a street.

Finding the exact property on the street - not so great.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2020

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Minimum wage? delivery is usually pay per delivery, piecemeal work
    edited July 2020

I once very successfully chatted up a girl by breaking the ice by quipping that me and her might be the only people in the class without a house with a name. Turns out her house had a name.

But it could be she fancied you rotten and success came despite that quip.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

The dominance of Eton in Tory PMs is even greater when one remembers that PMs Thatcher and (possibly, in terms of admitting females to the sixth form at the time?) May were disqualified from Eton anyway by being girls.

Stonking point. Thus of the last 7 eligible Tory PMs, FIVE (!) went to Eton. A scandal really when you stop to think about it. How on earth can this be?
    I see no scandal. It simply shows that Eton is a good school and should be encouraged to be as good as it can be so that the public sector can learn from it.
    Hilarious trolling.
    I dunno. If teachers were paid double what they are in the state sector and had a 1:7 SSR (without checking) I think many of our educational problems would disappear.

I’ve seen a lot of my colleagues head off to the independent sector over the years. Possibly half of the ones that don’t leave by retirement.
    Maybe not double (salary) but I will launch myself into your good books by saying that imo the transformation of teaching into a high status high pay profession to rank with law and medicine is my silver bullet along with 100% comps, no privates, resource skewed towards disadvantaged areas.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

"It's not that. It's just that you're so bright and everything - me and your father were rather hoping you might aim a little higher than that. Try and get into teaching even."
    Unless you make all comps outstanding that is never happening, middle class parents will not touch inadequate or requires improvement comps with a bargepole
    By sending their children private to a grammar or by buying a house in an outstanding comp or academy catchment area or going to church more often to get a vicar's note to get into one
    There will be little or none of that as I envisage things. Certainly no vicar involvement. What there will be is a transformed social and educational landscape.

THIS is the prize.
    I know, you want to abolish all private schools, grammar schools and religious schools.

However to get true equality you will also have to abolish all outstanding or even just good comprehensives and academies too, we cannot have anyone getting an advantage now can we.

Which would end up about as effective as abolishing Waitrose, Marks and Spencer and Sainsburys and making everyone shop at Lidl or Asda
    eek said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Minimum wage? delivery is usually pay per delivery, piecemeal work
    In that case making your address harder to find is literally costing those drivers money.

Why would anyone be proud of that?

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

In some circumstances, yes. So fix THAT problem - open source the post-code database with long/lat coordinates and see what innovative tools the private sector builds.

In my experience, Google Maps is fantastic already in getting to within 10m of the correct house number.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Sometimes it's easier to find a name. Directing someone to the NatWest tower is clearer than saying they need to go to 25 Old Broad Street.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,593

Morning all,

Feels like grim news on the plague this morning. Ten days isolation, warnings that in two weeks we could have another surge etc etc.

:-(

I do wish this Government would move away from the notion that part of being an aspirational Tory is the requirement to travel abroad several times a year for your holidays. Firstly, it buggers the balance of payments. Secondly, in current circumstaces it buggers the health of the nation.

Currently the wider world is still full of Covid. The UK is not - at a high cost to get there. We should be taking a wide range of measures to ensure that the two systems do not achieve equilibrium.

That will require some very hard-nosed decisions on stopping travel from the sub-Continent. It will be tagged by the usual suspects as "racism". It isn't. It is protecting the most at risk in our community - which evidence shows to include those of sub-continent heritage.
    Your last point is incredibly important. It borders on farce that there are complaints about 'overpolicing' of covid-19 restrictions amongst BAME communities, whilst at the same time, there are complaints from very similar quarters about high levels of covid-19 in those same communities. Should the police crack down, or let it rip?
    Both at once. Obviously.

It's how the security system deals with the funky version of Islam, after all - investigates itself for Islamaphobia, while profiling young Muslim men.
    kinabalu said:

I once very successfully chatted up a girl by breaking the ice by quipping that me and her might be the only people in the class without a house with a name. Turns out her house had a name.

But it could be she fancied you rotten and success was despite that quip.
    Well she’s only human after all!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

So why solve the problem with the literally bronze age solution of fixing a physical representation of an integer to the house, instead of tweaking the phone with existing, mature technology?

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

In some circumstances, yes. So fix THAT problem - open source the post-code database with long/lat coordinates and see what innovative tools the private sector builds.

In my experience, Google Maps is fantastic already in getting to within 10m of the correct house number.
    Post codes are pretty open source already. You can get in the right vicinity using post code alone.

Getting in the right vicinity is not enough.

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Sometimes it's easier to find a name. Directing someone to the NatWest tower is clearer than saying they need to go to 25 Old Broad Street.
    For clearly marked business 100% obviously!

We were talking about houses.

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Post codes are pretty open source already. You can get in the right vicinity using post code alone.

As @eek was saying, the Post Office post code/address database is certainly not open source. It’s very expensive to access in fact.
    IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

So why solve the problem with the literally bronze age solution of fixing a physical representation of an integer to the house, instead of tweaking the phone with existing, mature technology?
    What existing mature technology?

Post codes etc already are on phones. What's not is knowing the exact location of where every individual home is.

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

As @eek was saying, the Post Office post code/address database is certainly not open source. It’s very expensive to access in fact.
    Business to business yes. Google Maps no its free.
    To truely future proof the address system, the national address database should have the house name/number, the post code, and an accurate latitude/longitude reference for the front access to the house.

That will allow sat-navs and mapping apps to be spot on, every time.

That’s CLEARLY the solution to improving delivery services.

Fannying around with what number or name is displayed is just nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

"I'd like a Dominoes please."

"No 1 Constitution Hill, leave it at the gates."

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Business to business yes. Google Maps no its free.
    I can imagine Google pays for it. But you’re missing the point entirely.

To truely future proof the address system, the national address database should have the house name/number, the post code, and an accurate latitude/longitude reference for the front access to the house.

Fannying around with what number or name is displayed is just nothing in the grand scheme of things.

That works too.
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

:D:D I had to Google that...

TOPPING said:

But it isn’t. It’s a proprietary solution for something that is already open and available.

Like I said, if you have GPS available to generate your three words, you also have enough signal to send someone your actual exact location.

Likewise it gives you no locational awareness. henry two football could be 2000 miles away from henry three football. The exact opposite of what you want in a system of this sort.
    Proprietary like, oooh, photoshop, mathematica, macos, and large parts of python? OK, write a superior open source competitor if you think you're 'ard enough.

It's a non-point to say that software does what can already be done, like saying why use a calculator when long division is a thing. Ease of use is the point. the actual emergency services think what3words is the best thing since sliced bread (which obviously never caught on because people could already slice bread with existing technology).
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,699

Vice-county 38.
    edited July 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Proprietary like, oooh, photoshop, mathematica, macos, and large parts of python? OK, write a superior open source competitor if you think you're 'ard enough.

It's a non-point to say that software does what can already be done, like saying why use a calculator when long division is a thing. Ease of use is the point. the actual emergency services think what3words is the best thing since sliced bread (which obviously never caught on because people could already slice bread with existing technology).
    Long/lat coordinates. They already exist. What3Words is not an improvement.

Google Maps also has their own solution.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

The smart delivery companies employ drivers to cover a particular "patch", so yes, the drivers know this better than anyone.

Source: I do consulting on this area for A Very Big Delivery Company.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Post codes etc already are on phones. What's not is knowing the exact location of where every individual home is.
    Numbering doesn't tell you the exact location either. What about sparsely built on streets? Do you renumber the houses when a new one is built, give them numbers like 2a, or end up with them out of sequence?

IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Yes it is. You can drop a google maps pin anywhere. This is not hypothetical: I send a link to a pin to anyone who needs to come to my house. It works.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

THIS is the prize.
    So you foresee a world where going to school is in it self remarkable?

I suppose we are sort of there at the moment.

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

The smart delivery companies employ drivers to cover a particular "patch", so yes, the drivers know this better than anyone.

Depends upon the business surely? Yes if I get a DPD delivery its always the same driver that delivers it, but not the case with many other businesses.

That's not how eg food delivery businesses tend to work, because you want the next driver back in the building to take your food out to you ASAP while its still hot not wait because "your" patch's driver is out on a different delivery so your order goes cold waiting for them to get back first.
    Scott_xP said:
    That's actually a decent answer to the question - the only other one would be we don't know excess death figures for the rest of the EU which would just lead to another argument.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Scott_xP said:
    Is Boris Johnson to blame for (a) the UK's high population density, and (b) the poor health of the UK population with regard to diabetes, obesity, etc?
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Yes it is. You can drop a google maps pin anywhere. This is not hypothetical: I send a link to a pin to anyone who needs to come to my house. It works.
    You send a link to a pin when you place an order for anything online?

Or if they call you because they're struggling to find the address? Because if you're doing that, its too late already.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

TOPPING said:

W3W is much easier for people to say and remember than lat/longs. Numbers can be easily misheard, hence tree, fower, fife, etc for military radio comms. I can use W3W to find my wife but would have no chance if I were asking her for a bearing and getting her to calculate the distance between us using haversines.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Interplanetary travel is expensive.
    Even the garaging costs...

..."If we miss this launch window, it would cost us half a billion dollars to store this vehicle for the next two years.:"

Fortunately, they didn't.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/science-environment-53567859

In fact this should be integrated/combined with the land registry, in my opinion.

Therefore if you move or change the access point to your property, you can modify the lat/long coordinate on file by submitting a land registry amendment.

Google/Apple/OpenStreetMap etc can then pull the latest data by using an API.

The future.
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

W3W is much easier for people to say and remember than lat/longs. Numbers can be easily misheard, hence tree, fower, fife, etc for military radio comms. I can use W3W to find my wife but would have no chance if I were asking her for a bearing and getting her to calculate the distance between us using haversines.
    But if she’s using her phone to generate a w3w coordinate, why cant she just send you a location reference on whatsapp, for example?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,160
    I wonder how many ppl know the long/lat location of their property off the top of their heads?

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

You are lost, cold, frightened and broken-legged, in a blizzard, on a mountain, with a phone and signal. Is it easier to get w3w to say "sausageanteaterwank" to you, and relay that down the phone, or find and relay your lat/long? I sometimes navigate yachts, and lat/long is clunky as feck even if you are sitting comfortably at a well-equipped chart table.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

You are lost, cold, frightened and broken-legged, in a blizzard, on a mountain, with a phone and signal. Is it easier to get w3w to say "sausageanteaterwank" to you, and relay that down the phone, or find and relay your lat/long? I sometimes navigate yachts, and lat/long is clunky as feck even if you are sitting comfortably at a well-equipped chart table.
    If you have signal, your phone is already relaying your location to the emergency services, is it not? If not, then it should.

This proprietary system is just an extra, unnecessary layer on top of what we already have.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

Depends upon the business surely? Yes if I get a DPD delivery its always the same driver that delivers it, but not the case with many other businesses.

That's not how eg food delivery businesses tend to work, because you want the next driver back in the building to take your food out to you ASAP while its still hot not wait because "your" patch's driver is out on a different delivery so your order goes cold waiting for them to get back first.
    A food delivery business would - or at least should - have an app that takes the house name, does a lookup (this is called "geocoding"), and gets a lat/lon out the other end. This can then be used to put a pin on a map, generate turn-by-turn directions for the driver, etc. etc.

House name vs number really isn't a massive issue. Ultimately most delivery services in the UK will end up using the Royal Mail's Postcode Address File, which records house names just as it does numbers - there's no significant difference between the two. (PAF isn't open source and should be, but that's another issue.)

If I were to single out the single biggest issue with getting efficient geocoding in the UK, I'd say it's actually the lack of a clearly defined set of neighbourhoods. But you try telling the people of West Hampstead that they actually live in Kilburn and see how far it gets you. ;)

This is an entertaining read on some of the challenges with geocoding: https://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

If you have signal, your phone is already relaying your location to the emergency services, is it not? If not, then it should.

This proprietary system is just an extra, unnecessary layer on top of what we already have.
    If you call 999 they can triangulate you but its imprecise.

Last time I called the RAC I needed to give them the location it wasn't given automatically.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

THIS is the prize.
    I know, you want to abolish all private schools, grammar schools and religious schools.

However to get true equality you will also have to abolish all outstanding or even just good comprehensives and academies too, we cannot have anyone getting an advantage now can we.

Which would end up about as effective as abolishing Waitrose, Marks and Spencer and Sainsburys and making everyone shop at Lidl or Asda
    I prefer to focus on what is being created. Every child going to their excellent local school. All catered for and given the chance to blossom. Flexible. Diverse. All the angst and division around eduction that we see today eliminated along with its toxic propagation of class inequality. As I say - a great prize.

"Where should we send Peter to school, honey?"
    "Er, what are you talking about, where? - he's going to school."
    "Oh right. So I guess we don't have to obsess about it for ages then."
    "Correct. Fancy a curry tonight?"
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793

Andy_JS said:

How about a compromise in the name of freedom?

People will have the freedom not to bother with a number for their house.
    Posties and delivery companies will now have the freedom not to bother to deliver to a house without a number.

Maximum freedom for all.
    What a childish comment.
    Oh, dear, I fear you've missed the point.

Which is, of course, that while we are free to do what we like, if we wish to join in with a system or service, we need to comply with certain requirements for that service.

For example, I might not like the format of email addresses, and I'm free to choose something completely incompatible as my email address - but I shouldn't really expect it to work for receiving email from anyone else.

In this case, the issue is around the service being provided in the form of post and parcels. A requirement placed on compatibility with the service (eg postcodes, or, as per the discussion, numbers (given that lacking numbers can impose extra burdens on anyone attempting to fulfil that service)) is not an infringement on anyone's personal freedom. They can do whatever they like there.

It's only an issue if they want to partake in that specific service. Then the consequences would be that they couldn't do that.

As per Terry Pratchett: "The first freedom is the freedom to take the consequences. It is the freedom on which all the others are based."

I hope that helps.
    edited July 2020

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Last time I called the RAC I needed to give them the location it wasn't given automatically.
    iPhones send precise GPS coordinates, not triangulation. I assume Android is the same.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6569410/iphone-location-trick-emergency-services-police-ambulance/

Last time I used the AA, I called them out using the app, the app used my exact location, and 30 mins later the man arrived. It was incredible.

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Great for the companies.

A food delivery business would - or at least should - have an app that takes the house name, does a lookup (this is called "geocoding"), and gets a lat/lon out the other end. This can then be used to put a pin on a map, generate turn-by-turn directions for the driver, etc. etc.

House name vs number really isn't a massive issue. Ultimately most delivery services in the UK will end up using the Royal Mail's Postcode Address File, which records house names just as it does numbers - there's no significant difference between the two. (PAF isn't open source and should be, but that's another issue.)

If I were to single out the single biggest issue with getting efficient geocoding in the UK, I'd say it's actually the lack of a clearly defined set of neighbourhoods. But you try telling the people of West Hampstead that they actually live in Kilburn and see how far it gets you. ;)

This is an entertaining read on some of the challenges with geocoding: https://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/
    The only thing more awkward than addresses for a programmer is cross timezone times...

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

But if she’s using her phone to generate a w3w coordinate, why cant she just send you a location reference on whatsapp, for example?
    Because she finds W3W easier. She also likes using it to remember where her car is because she can easily remember plum-rainbow-bollocks or whatever.

Little known fact: the W3W for 11 Downing Street is tiny-money-nerd.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,699
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is Boris Johnson to blame for (a) the UK's high population density, and (b) the poor health of the UK population with regard to diabetes, obesity, etc?
    It's like trying to sail a boat against a running tide with constantly shifting crosswinds. In this case the running tide is economic collapse and the crosswinds are infection rates both here and abroad. Sometimes a proposed course is simply impossible to accomplish, but there are always armchair matelots ready to advise.

Ted Heath would have understood.

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

The influence of Eton is more concerning than that of Oxford Uni. Hopefully "Boris" Johnson is the last of this dismal breed to realize their 'born to misrule' destiny.

Why would he be the last when the public has been shown as perfectly willing to elect Old Etonians? If anything recent performance from Cameron and Boris will make more Old Etonians realise such a destiny, after a long time without one as PM.
    I fear you are right. The egalitarian spirit is not at this present time in the ascendancy.
    Why should the public saddle themselves with worse Prime Ministers with all that means just because of the school they went to? Being Prime Minister is such an important job that you want the best person for it, regardless of irrelevant considerations.

On this, as so often, the masses are much more sensible than those who want to be their spokesmen.
    I submit that one cannot contemplate the current occupant and conclude with any degree of confidence that we tend to get the best person for the job.
    Not best, but certainly better than the alternative.
    Low bar. Jeremy was not bright enough. But at least he had a smidgen of a concept of public service.
    edited July 2020

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

That is where what3words comes in as it is far more accurate than a gazette which is great for things like by the fountain in South park, not much use when there is no landmark to work from.

Triangulation and gazettes have however allowed 999 centres to be centralised rather than being in every large town as they needed to be in the 70s...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

My gaff seems to have managed without a number since 1865.
    edited July 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Because she finds W3W easier. She also likes using it to remember where her car is because she can easily remember plum-rainbow-bollocks or whatever.

iPhones automatically record where you parked. Again, I assume Android has a similar feature.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207227

There’s no reason why people shouldn’t use w3w, if they prefer it. But it’s not inherently better than anything we already have.

Andy_JS said:

Posties and delivery companies will now have the freedom not to bother to deliver to a house without a number.

Maximum freedom for all.
    What a childish comment.
    Oh, dear, I fear you've missed the point.

Which is, of course, that while we are free to do what we like, if we wish to join in with a system or service, we need to comply with certain requirements for that service.

For example, I might not like the format of email addresses, and I'm free to choose something completely incompatible as my email address - but I shouldn't really expect it to work for receiving email from anyone else.

In this case, the issue is around the service being provided in the form of post and parcels. A requirement placed on compatibility with the service (eg postcodes, or, as per the discussion, numbers (given that lacking numbers can impose extra burdens on anyone attempting to fulfil that service)) is not an infringement on anyone's personal freedom. They can do whatever they like there.

It's only an issue if they want to partake in that specific service. Then the consequences would be that they couldn't do that.

As per Terry Pratchett: "The first freedom is the freedom to take the consequences. It is the freedom on which all the others are based."

I hope that helps.
    I spent an age when I first bought my house working out if the number was simply "hidden", and the name was a 'name over a number'.
    It's not, the numbers don't exist in the first place for anything outside of 2, 4,6 and 8 on our road.

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

My gaff seems to have managed without a number since 1865.
    equally I don't see the problem, our street name is unique in the UK so I can get away with 11 letters on a envelope. Downside is that it would be delayed a week and have a scenic journey via Belfast's Royal Mail issues department before arriving here.

TOPPING said:

It works for me. As I said it does what it needs to do.

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

iPhones automatically record where you parked. Again, I assume Android has a similar feature.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207227
    I am sure it does but she likes W3W and finds it easy.

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

15 Parkview Avenue
    "The Moultings"
    Bish bash bosh job done. What's hard about that?
    Indeed. Right side of history to suggest that people at least consider having numbers.

But enough of this. 10 am tomorrow and not a moment before. And even then it depends.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

THIS is the prize.

I prefer to focus on what is being created. Every child going to their excellent local school. All catered for and given the chance to blossom. Flexible. Diverse. All the angst and division around eduction that we see today eliminated along with its toxic propagation of class inequality. As I say - a great prize.

Utter rubbish, by definition if you live in the posh part of town sending your child to the local school is far more likely to be to an excellent school than parents sending their children to the local school in the rough part of town.

Plus if you order a curry from an excellent restaurant surely you must abolish that too as it is more expensive than the customers who have to buy from the far less good curry house down the road?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629

Andy_JS said:

Maximum freedom for all.
    :)

I never suggested to anyone that anything should be enforced. But I somewhat suspect that the companies will still take orders and expect their staff to deliver to them even if people don't bother trying to make it easier for others.

If you intend to live as a hermit then do as you please. But if you want deliveries then not bothering with making a property easily identifiable but still placing orders is IMO simply selfish. Being selfish is of course and should remain entirely legal.
    Well for a start a number isn't always any use, My flat has a numbet flat y, xxxa some street....it won't help you deliver though as to get to my flat you have to got a completely different street and all that is apparent at my postal address is a pizza parlour. Numbers are not the panacea you imagine
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

Isn't this what they did at Kensington Palace (not Dominoes but an Indian restaurant) when Prince William was doing his podcast?
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And that’s fine. It just seems odd that people advocate for an >>additional<< step when this is all automated, or can be.

For example:

You don’t need to remember 3 words to find where you parked, your phone does it for you.

You don’t need to give the emergency services 3 words so they know where they are, your phone has already sent them your GPS coordinates.

You don’t need to open an app, find 3 words, then send them to your friend, when you can send your location directly from your messaging app.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Hilarious trolling.

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

THIS is the prize.

You've just crashed millions of school-related house prices at stroke.

On which subject, a friend has just put their Dartmouth property on the market for 20-25% more than they were expecting. They have two viewings today. The agent expects it will be sold within 10 days. It's just flying out the door in south Devon.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

In fact this should be integrated/combined with the land registry, in my opinion.

Therefore if you move or change the access point to your property, you can modify the lat/long coordinate on file by submitting a land registry amendment.

Google/Apple/OpenStreetMap etc can then pull the latest data by using an API.

The future.
    The problem is that you cannot base a standard on a proprietary system. What if the company managing it goes bust? Or decides that a 5m grid is better and junks all the current grid squares?

It is much the same reasoning that led to the development of ODF for document archival. MS-DOC kept changing and only Microsoft had control of the format.

The plus side of Lat/Long is that it is thoroughly established as a worldwide open system and you would not even need all of it for the postal system. If you lived in (say) Manchester then you could disregard the degrees part and just use the minutes and one decimal so instead giving 53° 21'25N 2° 21'13W you could just say Altrincham 2125-2113

The latitude is good for 0.01 nm = 60 feet, the longitude is good to 60 feet * cos(53.4) = 36ft
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Nothing to do with that. "Seeding" apparently.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Looks like the Tories dodged the bullet of a by-election in Dover by replacing the former MP with his wife as Conservative candidate.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly.

Plus it's invaluable to find second horses/your box if you are visiting and don't know the country.
    edited July 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And that’s fine. It just seems odd that people advocate for an >>additional<< step when this is all automated, or can be.

For example:

You don’t need to remember 3 words to find where you parked, your phone does it for you.

You don’t need to give the emergency services 3 words so they know where they are, your phone has already sent them your GPS coordinates.

You don’t need to open an app, find 3 words, then send them to your friend, when you can send your location directly from your messaging app.</p>
    It worked extremely well on the A1 when the RAC's contracted driver was trying to find me. When I was speaking to the RAC all they wanted was landmarks and junctions and it was 10pm and pitch black. As soon as I got on to the guy who was supposed to pick me up it worked perfectly. As did it for the friend I sent my location to at the same time.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,593
    NHS England Hospital numbers out

Headline - 12
    7 Days - 10
    Yesterday - 0

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

OK. Ask the next ambulance driver or mountain rescue bod you meet what s/he thinks about it.

You do know there's competing, equally legit formats for lat/long? 50.557899, -3.963901
    and 50°33'28.4"N 3°57'50.0"W are synonyms. Try negotiating over the phone which format you are using, and then relaying the data.

Phones aren't "relaying your data," and what a waste of battery if they were.
    edited July 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

OK. Ask the next ambulance driver or mountain rescue bod you meet what s/he thinks about it.

You do know there's competing, equally legit formats for lat/long? 50.557899, -3.963901
    and 50°33'28.4"N 3°57'50.0"W are synonyms. Try negotiating over the phone which format you are using, and then relaying the data.

Phones aren't "relaying your data," and what a waste of battery if they were.
    I’ve just demonstrated that iPhones specifically have a feature for relaying your exact location to emergency services.

If we don’t support that, I’d be asking serious questions why.

It involves ZERO user engagement. That’s the point.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

We had different “sets” at my comp in the 2000s. Is that what you mean by “streaming”? There was higher and lower sets for english, maths, and science.

A friend of mine went to a school in Ayrshire. They were not allowed to have streaming so the Head Master used the time table. Bright kids were encouraged to take Latin. When they did they ended up in different classes for the sciences, maths and English, smaller and well above average. It certainly worked for him.
    I did Latin in Ayrshire but as I was a lazy sod , I dropped it later on , preferred the horses.
    Did you manage to pass the horses?
    I used to win a fair bit, was a champion marker in days before they had TV in bookies and it was all radio with odds on blackboards.

NHS England Hospital numbers out

Headline - 12
    7 Days - 10
    Yesterday - 0

The BBC insists on reporting these as people who died "of" Covid, rather than "with" Covid, a positive test that may or may not have been a factor in their death.

Unless we have a period of immortality, I guess these double-digit numbers are going to be here a while.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Because the public voted for them?
    The public voted for them once the choice had been narrowed down to 2.

The dominance of Eton would be fine if it was a school where you got in by virtue of your own intelligence but an Eton education frequently gets people into positions that they would never achieve on merit.
    You have to pass an entrance exam to get into Eton and they also provide scholarships
    Is that questions on how many peers in the family and/or how large is your parents bank book, how many country homes do you have
    How many slaves did your family own in the 1700s :D
    they were probably slaves themselves on one of Charle's Irish estates as grandparents on one side were Irish
This discussion has been closed.