Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » His Highness, King Donald the First, the Great Usurping Caesar

Comments

• Options
    Evening all.

Scottish Tory bloke resigning is potentially good ground for Labour if they dump useless Leanord
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worrying. Not for them precisely, I just like to hope all the unionist parties will do well and an already tough ask is probably harder if they have leader troubles.
    It's not worrying at all. Douglas Ross is standing - young, (hopefully) capable, and resigned (choreographed?) over Cummings, showing admirable independence from Doris (my portmanteau word for Dom and Boris). It's the best news for the Scottish Tories for ages.
    Another duffer, he should stick to his refereeing career, an absolute t***er but great news for SNP. I see Archie McPherson is calling for "invisible" Richard Leonard to resign as Labour sub regional manager, time for their annual leadership melee as well I think. What excitement we will have at the donkey derby's this summer.
    All we need is for Salmond’s proxy Cherry to make an official move and we’d have the full house.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Usual shoo in of handpicked sock puppet, talent not required , extra long tongue,d ability to wriggle along on your belly and bend over backwards all that is required.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1288881533303087108

Just need the ones in London to do the same...

They did, which is how Boris came to replace Theresa May.
    Blimey.

I hope this change of leadership proves less disastrous.
    Tories to get a more than 80 majority at the next Scottish election?
    Well that would be hilarious if improbable. But Tories to be dragged through the courts, and left floundering in a series of national emergencies due to being led by a pair of third rate dishonest morons was more what I was thinking.
    It might be worth pondering the readvent of Ms Davidson. Mooted as temporary, but that's how Mr Carlaw himself began.
    When I first heard this news, my immediate thought was that Ruth Davidson must have had a change of heart about leadership.

Certainly her return would be dramatic, although I’m not sure it would be a game changer. Salmond excepted, leaders who come back for second stints tend not to be markedly successful.
    You have to be joking , she wants a cushier number , £300 a day and huge expenses. Still to hold her first ever constituent surgery meeting as an MSP.
    Didn’t know Russia Today paid more than £300 a day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worrying. Not for them precisely, I just like to hope all the unionist parties will do well and an already tough ask is probably harder if they have leader troubles.
    It's not worrying at all. Douglas Ross is standing - young, (hopefully) capable, and resigned (choreographed?) over Cummings, showing admirable independence from Doris (my portmanteau word for Dom and Boris). It's the best news for the Scottish Tories for ages.
    Another duffer, he should stick to his refereeing career, an absolute t***er but great news for SNP. I see Archie McPherson is calling for "invisible" Richard Leonard to resign as Labour sub regional manager, time for their annual leadership melee as well I think. What excitement we will have at the donkey derby's this summer.
    All we need is for Salmond’s proxy Cherry to make an official move and we’d have the full house.
    Don't see that happening , she will not rock the boat for sure, that would be for later if at all. Be interesting if the king over the water started a List party though.
  • Options

Evening all.

Scottish Tory bloke resigning is potentially good ground for Labour if they dump useless Leanord

:D PMSL
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Having Ruth back until the next election would be a massive step forward for the Scottish Tories. Carlaw was just never up to the job. To be effective as opposition leader you need wit.

Ruth did an interview with the ST last weekend. What a remarkable coincidence.
  • Options
    I’m amazed the Irish keeper caught that. Didn’t the snow on it make it slippery?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

Points to the first PBer to get the reference to the headline.

Idi Amin?
    Nope.
    Donald Duck?
    Nearly, Fernando Wood on Abraham Lincoln, when Lincoln was trying to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, Wood said in the House

'Estimable colleagues, two bloody years ago this month, his Highness, King Abraham Africanus the First, our Great Usurping Caesar, violator of habeas corpus and freedom of the press, abuser of states' rights.'
    In this case, it's the madness of King Donald.
    The Madness of King Donald is a headline I've used for a forthcoming thread.
    Little Marco will KEEP Him in his eye until He learns to behave and do as He's told...
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/30/trump-delay-election-gop-388290
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Having Ruth back until the next election would be a massive step forward for the Scottish Tories. Carlaw was just never up to the job. To be effective as opposition leader you need wit.

He only had the half part of the wit unfortunately
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited July 2020

Evening all.

Not at all, surely? The independence polling suggests that quite a few Labour voters might break to the SNP. And the unionists in the remainder are much more likely to vote Tory if the SCUPs dress themselves up again as Ruth Davidson and Say No to Indy and save the Union if she is their leader, or shows herself on TV a lot more with Mr Ross. Why bother with federalism if you can have proper indy, or full fat and added salt Unionist?

Edit: the exception might be if they thave some really charismatic candidate. But would Ms Baillie or Mr Sarwar do?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    RobD said:

How many people died of Covid today?

Oh look we arent going to find out anymore

"Data on deaths has been temporarily paused while an urgent review into
    @PHE_UK data is carried out".

We dont know how many people were tested nor how many died.

FIASCO

Has the ONS stopped functioning or something?
    ONS are reporting circa 60k deaths so if you are happy to go with that so am i.

Hancock trying to review the 46k that contrary to what PB Tories would have you believe significantly underestimates the true position.

Tories want to move to a position that if you don't die in 28 days it doesnt count even if you have been on a Ventilator for months.

Lets just move to the ONS number and stop taking the public for fools.

Champions of Europe
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

If he’d teamed up with Richard Leonard would the two halfwits have made one wit?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Classic Vince. Some textbook shots and then an embarrassing dismissal. Really don’t get why England persevere with him.

He's a world cup winner!

But for Covid-19 he wouldn't be anywhere near this team.
    I knew this virus was a bastard. 45k dead is one thing but Vince back in the England team? Enough. Bring on the vaccine.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    DavidL said:

The last outing for the Ruth Davidson No to Indy Ref II party couldn't be called an unalloyed success.

European Election 2019: Scotland

Conservative 11.6% (-5.6)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Classic Vince. Some textbook shots and then an embarrassing dismissal. Really don’t get why England persevere with him.

He's a world cup winner!

I knew this virus was a bastard. 45k dead is one thing but Vince back in the England team? Enough. Bring on the vaccine.
    Paul Collingwood is also a World Cup winner, but we’re not picking him any more even though he’d probably score more runs.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Usual shoo in of handpicked sock puppet, talent not required , extra long tongue,d ability to wriggle along on your belly and bend over backwards all that is required.
    If half of Nicola’s cabinet had that range of talents she might crack a smile more often. What’s today’s position on schools opening ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

If he’d teamed up with Richard Leonard would the two halfwits have made one wit?
    More like a FCUK wit
  • Options

RobD said:

FIASCO

Are too many people dying for the government's liking??

Or too few??

The issue is PHE using the following methodology -

1) You had COVID
    2) You are dead
    3) Therefore you died of COVID

This means that anyone beaten to death by a maniacal lawyer with a baseball bat, in his wife's kimono died of COVID - if they ever had a positive test.

Since 100ks of people have had COVID, this means that every day for next few decades, PHE will be reporting deaths from COVID.

This is a bit useless.

The ONS is reporting all deaths where COVID Is on the death certificate or other paperwork.
    Govt wants to adopt a system where
    1) you had COVID
    2)You died of COVID after being in ITU on a ventilator for more than 4 weeks
    3) Well done you might be dead and have died of COVID but at least you wont count on our figures. Thanks
  • Options
    How are you all anyway
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

RobD said:

FIASCO

Or too few??

1) You had COVID
    2) You are dead

This means that anyone beaten to death by a maniacal lawyer with a baseball bat, in his wife's kimono died of COVID - if they ever had a positive test.

Since 100ks of people have had COVID, this means that every day for next few decades, PHE will be reporting deaths from COVID.

This is a bit useless.

The ONS is reporting all deaths where COVID Is on the death certificate or other paperwork.
    1) you had COVID
    3) Well done you might be dead and have died of COVID but at least you wont count on our figures. Thanks
    Nope.

They want to move to the ONS definition.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

More like a FCUK wit
    I thought that was Derek Mackay?
  • Options

DavidL said:

The last outing for the Ruth Davidson No to Indy Ref II party couldn't be called an unalloyed success.

European Election 2019: Scotland

Conservative 11.6% (-5.6)
    A lot of Tories boycotted that election because they were pissed off that we hadn’t left yet. Not sure it tells us much.
  • Options

How are you all anyway

I’ve had a busy day planning lessons and sorting various bits of paperwork.

Which people sometimes forget, in answer to your earlier question @DavidL , teachers still have to do in the holidays.

I think I’ll be ready for the start of term by noon on Monday, which means I can enjoy the four weeks of holiday with a clear conscience.
  • Options
    I reckon the USA could be on for their highest daily deaths figure since May today. Showing an awful trend.

Cant they do a Hancock and suspend the reporting of deaths?
  • Options

I reckon the USA could be on for their highest daily deaths figure since May today. Showing an awful trend.

The update has just done up on https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    19:39 France adds 1,377 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total figure to 186,573 positives since the onset of pandeamia, with 16 deaths from coronavirus in the last 24 hours (30,254 in total). In addition, it is the first time in 16 weeks that France increases the number of ICU admissions for coronavirus, one more than yesterday.
  • Options

RobD said:

FIASCO

Or too few??

1) You had COVID
    2) You are dead

This is a bit useless.

1) you had COVID
    Nope.

They want to move to the ONS definition.
    Doubt it, that would move us to an unassailable position at the top of the deaths league.

Hancock talked about a 28 day cut off no mention of the death certificate cause of death
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    England case data - Pillar 1 & 2 - absolute numbers

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

Some better polling for Trump today - the Rasmussen approval number id back to -3 from -9 yesterday (48-51) while Gallup shows -15 (41-56) so make of that what you will.

The state polls show Trump closing the gap in some places but in NH, a state which Clinton won by a fraction last time, Biden leads by 13 while he's up 11 in Virginia.

The IBD/TIPP poll shows Biden up 48-41 across the country. No crosstabs but among Independents Biden has a huge lead.
  • Options
    England case data - Pillar 1 & 2 - scaled numbers

• Options
    nichomar said:

19:39 France adds 1,377 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total figure to 186,573 positives since the onset of pandeamia, with 16 deaths from coronavirus in the last 24 hours (30,254 in total). In addition, it is the first time in 16 weeks that France increases the number of ICU admissions for coronavirus, one more than yesterday.

I do hope those figures are more accurate than their ones from the BSE pandemic.
  • Options
    Just a reminder of the charisma, idealism and intellectual heft that's part of the Ross package.

https://twitter.com/CyberHibby/status/1288877391574634496?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

I do hope those figures are more accurate than their ones from the BSE pandemic.
    No idea I’m losing faith in any numbers I see posted but I have at last worked out that
  • Options

Good so what was the below post 2 hrs ago on DHSC site all about FFS

Made me look a total twat (again)!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,811
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

Well that would be hilarious if improbable. But Tories to be dragged through the courts, and left floundering in a series of national emergencies due to being led by a pair of third rate dishonest morons was more what I was thinking.
    It might be worth pondering the readvent of Ms Davidson. Mooted as temporary, but that's how Mr Carlaw himself began.
    When I first heard this news, my immediate thought was that Ruth Davidson must have had a change of heart about leadership.

Certainly her return would be dramatic, although I’m not sure it would be a game changer. Salmond excepted, leaders who come back for second stints tend not to be markedly successful.
    Ruth D staying on and defeating carpet bagger Robertson would be funny.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

If he's doing that what are the ONS still doing.. err.. reporting deaths.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    England Deaths, all settings, PHE methodology.

• Options
    This is what happens if people aren’t careful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53592442
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

It's bad but positive test growth has flatlined over the last 2 weeks so deaths should start flattening soon.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

No idea I’m losing faith in any numbers I see posted but I have at last worked out that
    Well, as even their official figures were out by 30,000% and the real figure is probably around forty times higher than the revised official figure, if the French are covering up as they usually are this is going to make the Black Death look like the common cold.

So I’m hoping for once the French are telling the truth.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I'm sure her 610 vote majority is rock solid.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Same as one of the key drivers in Spain, the others being family and agricultural workers. We are seeing increased infections from recent illegal immigrants which seem to be coming in all along the costas
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sweden simply closes down establishments that don't enforce social distancing.
  • Options
    You know, I can watch and listen to ODI cricket and find it interesting and enjoyable. T20 I’ll admit I don’t really pay much attention to.

But without a crowd, this just doesn’t have any feel to it. At least the Tests still had an intensity and a level of engagement. But without a crowd to create atmosphere, this is quite dull.

And that’s to take nothing away from some quite nice shots Billings has played.
  • Options

Good so what was the below post 2 hrs ago on DHSC site all about FFS

Made me look a total twat (again)!
    If you had read the previous notices, the PHE numbers were being investigated as an ongoing matter.

This has been going on for a while.

In the meantime PHE are carrying on publishing the numbers on their website.

The publication time varies from day to day. Sometimes data comes in very late. Or comes in broken and they have to call people to fix it.

Such is life in production.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

RobD said:

FIASCO

Or too few??

1) You had COVID
    2) You are dead

This is a bit useless.

1) you had COVID
    Anyone who dies in hospital of COVID gets counted in the hospital death statistics by PHE in a separate series. Unsurprisingly you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Sweden simply closes down establishments that don't enforce social distancing.
    Good for them. I think we should be doing the same.

What’s bothering me is the thought of how this will,play out in schools, particularly with Scotland going back so soon. Anyone who thinks SD will be possible to enforce in a meaningful way in schools, especially primary schools, knows nothing about children.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    ydoethur said:

You know, I can watch and listen to ODI cricket and find it interesting and enjoyable. T20 I’ll admit I don’t really pay much attention to.

But without a crowd, this just doesn’t have any feel to it. At least the Tests still had an intensity and a level of engagement. But without a crowd to create atmosphere, this is quite dull.

Can they not play Sweet Caroline and have the commentary team sing it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Which people sometimes forget, in answer to your earlier question @DavidL , teachers still have to do in the holidays.

I think I’ll be ready for the start of term by noon on Monday, which means I can enjoy the four weeks of holiday with a clear conscience.
    My sons back on the 17th of next month! This holiday has seemed shorter than usual despite the working from home end to last term.
    I presume that working out how you are going to teach in the face of the dreaded lurgy has added to the paperwork.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I'm not the biggest fan of his current attempts to leverage his way into the candidacy, but tbf Robertson was brought up & educated in the constituency, and I believe lives there. I'm not sure carpetbagger is quite the correct term.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

Just a reminder of the charisma, idealism and intellectual heft that's part of the Ross package.

I see you went off and collected your lines then.
  • Options
    The Generalitat appreciates an improvement and stabilization of the pandemic in Barcelona and its metropolitan area, although the outbreaks of Amposta, Figueres and Castelldefels are of concern, and therefore they have asked the citizens to comply with the protection regulations and not obsess over possible confinement. . The Secretary of Public Health, Josep Maria Argimon, has highlighted that Barcelona "is an absolutely safe city" and has been in favor of celebrating the traditional summer festivals, although putting 'seny' (common sense) on hand cleaning , mask, physical distance and avoiding crowds

How can you celebrate a summer festival whilst avoiding crowds? Josep Maria might have got this wrong!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Evening all. Glad to see that the government has finally conceded that Dr Rosena was right back in March. Just 4 months behind the curve.

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1288781409168035840?s=09
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Well, they're his lines actually; shocking the way pols' own words are used against them.

I'm agog waiting for the first 'Douglas Ross, the man the Nats fear'.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

My sons back on the 17th of next month! This holiday has seemed shorter than usual despite the working from home end to last term.
    I presume that working out how you are going to teach in the face of the dreaded lurgy has added to the paperwork.
    I have to prepare three sets of lessons:

1) If we’re all in school

2) If some of us are in school

3) if we’re teaching online.

As you say, this isn’t lightening my load much.

I’ve also spent much of the day reading protocols for staff on teaching, safeguarding, social distancing and remedial lessons, and getting my head round a new style of timetable.

Apart from that it’s so easy Dominic Cummings could probably do it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    ydoethur said:

On the radio they've got some sort of fake crowd noise playing in the background which works quite well compared to the TV coverage.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Kinabalu's education plan is very 'if I just find a big enough paddle to smack people into place with, they. will. behave. as. I. want. them. to.' No doubt the mass exodus of rich people's kids to foreign schools would call for some sort of penalty, or the world at large would just be blamed for not following the same system.

A perennial problem with the lefties. They try and deal with the world as they it think it should be rather than how it actually is.
    OK yes a danger in this. OTOH if you shrug and accept everything as "just how it is" you can be certain that that remains the case.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Frankly America might be better if Trump was indeed King Donald, a constitutional monarch, and the government was run by somebody serious.

Jail. Nothing less.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Frankly America might be better if Trump was indeed King Donald, a constitutional monarch, and the government was run by somebody serious.

Jail. Nothing less.
    There would be a certain irony if the Dems went with ‘Lock him up’ as their slogan.
  • Options
    I don't support private schools in principal but the solution is to make state schools better.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

Desperate from Trump. Congress will never agree, rightly so. Hope he gets smashed by 10+ points and a landslide EC against him.

Me too. A 50% chance of the big loss imo. Needed.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

I’ve also spent much of the day reading protocols for staff on teaching, safeguarding, social distancing and remedial lessons, and getting my head round a new style of timetable.

How has your timetable changed? Professional interest as I’m responsible for writing ours and I want to know what bright ideas SMT might get.
  • Options
    Frankly I reckon Trump knows he's fucked it
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Evening all.

Has anyone taken a good look at the gov.uk Beta site for the Covid stats recently? There is some bizarre stuff going on.

Whilst lab confirmed cases are trickling up, hospitalisations and ventilator bed cases both continue to drift downwards, which is obviously good news. However, the breakdown by nation is all out of whack. Consider:

1. In terms of new Covid patients being admitted to hospital, there are almost none in Scotland and Northern Ireland, but a grossly disproportionate number in Wales
    2. Looking at the total numbers of Covid patients in hospital, the numbers for both Wales and Scotland are disproportionately high; however
    3. Out of the remaining total of patients on ventilation (which is now, thankfully, below 100,) as with new admissions there are almost none left in Scotland and Northern Ireland but more than you would expect in Wales

It all looks rather peculiar to me.
  • Options

I don't support private schools in principal but the solution is to make state schools better.

Platitude.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Platitude.
    If you support policies like yours, Labour can't get into government and do anything. Time to make hard choices.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Put Ross up in the Highlands on the list and Davidson back for the constituency of Edinburgh Central, especially as the SNP are infighting over whether to stand Robertson or Cherry as their candidate
  • Options

“In an ideal world there would be no state schools as all parents would be able to afford to pay for their children’s education.”

Discuss

😀
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited July 2020

Private schools are the best.

We should abolish the Department for Education, privatise every state school, and use the money saved to give to parents as vouchers, and watch education standards soar.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Evening all. Glad to see that the government has finally conceded that Dr Rosena was right back in March. Just 4 months behind the curve.

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1288781409168035840?s=09

To be perfectly fair, one gathers the impression that everyone was all over the place and making guesses back in March. You will know much better than I do, but I seem to recall that the WHO was also quite mask-sceptical back at the start of all this, but look at where we are now on that subject.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.
    There would be a certain irony if the Dems went with ‘Lock him up’ as their slogan.
    It would. But let's not because -

When they go low we go HIGH.

Plus it would prejudice the trial and possibly lead to him getting off on a technicality.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

How has your timetable changed? Professional interest as I’m responsible for writing ours and I want to know what bright ideas SMT might get.
    Because we are working in ‘bubbles:’

1) Staggered start and end times of the school day - so no tutor time for Year 8 and 10, for example - to ensure we don’t have huge gatherings of students coming in together

2) Students stay in rooms and we go to them

3) Lessons lengthened for Years 11 and 13 in a bid to make up for lost time

4) Teaching groups rejigged to accommodate 1 and 2.

I think those are the salient points at this moment, others may emerge.
  • Options
    I also oppose the Royal Family in principle but my solution is to get Labour into Government and make the lives of people better. Opposing the Royal Family makes that goal impossible.

Time to prioritise, do we want to help people or just shout at clouds forever?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

Plus it would prejudice the trial and possibly lead to him getting off on a technicality.
    Use the Patriot Act and send him to Gitmo.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

We should abolish the Department for Education
    #TSE4PM
  • Options

Remember I like school because the Principal is my PAL. If it’s not the person it’s le. But I probably have others etc.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

Why? What have those murderous racist terrorists done to you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We should abolish the Department for Education
    #TSE4PM
    Modern problems require modern solutions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

Also I hope that the Democrats believe in the rule of law.

Trump has abused his powers to pardon the guilty (though I would be reluctant to have a situation where there wasn’t someone who could do so in exceptional circumstances), but far better that than if he had the power to do the reverse and lock up the innocent .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

Given Muslims a bad reputation.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

Well, they're his lines actually; shocking the way pols' own words are used against them.

I'm agog waiting for the first 'Douglas Ross, the man the Nats fear'.
    Your own response has been quite illustrative enough I'd say.
  • Options

He’s at the point where he knows that he has to roll the dice and get sixes. An even more unpredictable and slightly desperate Trump is somewhat sub optimal for the planet.
  • Options
    Autocorrect, I meant principle
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Remember I like school because the Principal is my PAL. If it’s not the person it’s le. But I probably have others etc.
    Autocorrect, my sincere apologies.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

Given Muslims a bad reputation.
    OK, I concede your point.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

Platitude.
    If you support policies like yours, Labour can't get into government and do anything. Time to make hard choices.
    That's MUCH better. Being relaxed about private schools is swapping principles for votes. Let's do it. Let's win one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Jail. Nothing less.

We know what prison does to the mental health of US billionaires. It would be awful if something terrible, and definitely self-inflicted, happened before things got as far as a trial.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He's a world cup winner!

England are conVinced, obviously.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
  • Options

We should abolish the Department for Education, privatise every state school, and use the money saved to give to parents as vouchers, and watch education standards soar.
    That would solve nothing - at least, not unless your aim is to widen inequality and make life even better for the upper strata of society. The best schools would, of course, be located in the most affluent areas, where they could afford to charge the parents a lot more than the face value of the vouchers (and therefore build the best facilities and attract the best teachers.)

The shit schools would all be located in the poorest areas, where parents would have the vouchers and nothing more.

Broadly speaking, one would then expect the good schools to get better and the bad schools to get worse. Standards would soar, but only for the wealthy.

In a free market, competition creates choice but the choices available to individual consumers are *always* related to their relative levels of affluence. The rich can afford to dine at Michelin starred restaurants, the poor get a greasy burger as a treat. As it is with dining, so would it be with privatised education.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He's a world cup winner!

England are conVinced, obviously.
    What this match shows is that every England team needs a Willey.
  • Options

There could be mileage in that, education free at the point of delivery. One of the problems could be fast buck exploitation where the object is to make as much money as possible before the market notices.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

1) Staggered start and end times of the school day - so no tutor time for Year 8 and 10, for example - to ensure we don’t have huge gatherings of students coming in together

The second one of those would be impossible for us, not just because of practical subjects but because for Y10 upwards each pupil will have a timetable that reflects their subject choices and will be different to most if not all of the others in their tutor groups. In fact from Y9 up we don’t teach any lessons in groups that match their tutor groups. That means that there is no one group for them to stay with.

I think we are thinking more along the lines of having half in half out. We are preparing to have lessons we teach twice while the other half each time get on with work set.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

The second one of those would be impossible for us, not just because of practical subjects but because for Y10 upwards each pupil will have a timetable that reflects their subject choices and will be different to most if not all of the others in their tutor groups. In fact from Y9 up we don’t teach any lessons in groups that match their tutor groups. That means that there is no one group for them to stay with.

I think we are thinking more along the lines of having half in half out. We are preparing to have lessons we teach twice while the other half each time get on with work set.
    It’s going to be bloody difficult for us too, but we’re still doing it.

For Years 10 and 11 we’re having bubbles of multiple classes to minimise disruption to option blocks, but it still isn’t going to be easy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He’s at the point where he knows that he has to roll the dice and get sixes. An even more unpredictable and slightly desperate Trump is somewhat sub optimal for the planet.
    I read that at first as “roll the dice and get sevens”.

Not impossible if you’ve seen the sort of dice an old school D&D player uses of course...
  • Options
    edited July 2020

That would solve nothing - at least, not unless your aim is to widen inequality and make life even better for the upper strata of society. The best schools would, of course, be located in the most affluent areas, where they could afford to charge the parents a lot more than the face value of the vouchers (and therefore build the best facilities and attract the best teachers.)

The shit schools would all be located in the poorest areas, where parents would have the vouchers and nothing more.

Broadly speaking, one would then expect the good schools to get better and the bad schools to get worse. Standards would soar, but only for the wealthy.

In a free market, competition creates choice but the choices available to individual consumers are *always* related to their relative levels of affluence. The rich can afford to dine at Michelin starred restaurants, the poor get a greasy burger as a treat. As it is with dining, so would it be with privatised education.
    These poor schools would fail and be replaced by something better, so there's an incentive for them to ensure great standards.

Plus being a One Nation Conservative, I'd ensure that poorer families would get a higher value voucher than affluent parents.

Edit - And maybe free/subsidised transport for the kids to get to school.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Songs of the (Emerging) Battle Ground States - Texas

WHOLE LOTTA WOMAN
    Kelly Clarkson, Denisia Andrews, Brittany Chi Coney

You ain't know? Texas women do it bigger
    (What? Say it ain't so)
    In the South, it don't get realer, baby
    Pot full of grits, I'm hotter than your mama's supper, boy
    Better get with it
    Better watch your mouth, I might burn you, boy

You goin', uh, downtown, gonna work
    Good love I deserve
    If you're scared, go to church
    Woo-woo! I'm a lover
    Hold on tight, little country boy
    I ain't no girl, I'm a boss with orders
    All I'm needin' is a baby love me
    Like a warm biscuit on a Sunday morning

I got what you want, I'm aiming to please
    I got what it takes, I sure got the means
    I got what you want, sugar, honey, iced tea
    All eyes on me, oh, oh, baby

I'm a whole lotta woman
    (From the way I walk and toss my hips)
    I'm a whole lotta woman
    (From the sound to my voice to the gloss on my lips)
    I'm a whole lotta woman
    (Anything I see I want, I get)
    I'm a strong, badass chick with class and confidence, yeah

One time for the green
    And rolling like Tina
    Loving heart ain't easy
    Whoo-whoo, if you mean it
    Hold on tight, little country boy
    I ain't no girl, I'm a boss with orders
    All I'm needin' is a baby love me
    Like a warm biscuit on a Sunday morning

I got what you want, I'm aiming to please
    I got what it takes, I sure got the means
    I got what you want, sugar, honey, iced tea
    All eyes on me, oh, oh, baby

I'm a whole lotta woman
    I said I'm a whole lotta woman
    I'm a whole lotta woman
    I'm a strong, badass chick with class and confidence

Ain't no competition, babe
    It's just can you keep up with me?
    I can't do a thing about my wicked ways with gravity
    Higher than the leaves, they fall from trees like D-O-double-Gs
    I reside in Tennessee, but Texas still flows deep in me

I'm a whole lotta woman
    I'm a whole lotta woman
    I said I'm a whole lotta woman
    I'm a strong, badass chick with class and confidence
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Suddenly the profession is looking more attractive.
    Wonder why....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jul/30/trainee-teacher-applications-surge-by-65-per-cent-in-england