Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » His Highness, King Donald the First, the Great Usurping Caesar

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

I don't support private schools in principal but the solution is to make state schools better.

Private schools are the best.

We should abolish the Department for Education, privatise every state school, and use the money saved to give to parents as vouchers, and watch education standards soar.
    That would solve nothing - at least, not unless your aim is to widen inequality and make life even better for the upper strata of society. The best schools would, of course, be located in the most affluent areas, where they could afford to charge the parents a lot more than the face value of the vouchers (and therefore build the best facilities and attract the best teachers.)

The shit schools would all be located in the poorest areas, where parents would have the vouchers and nothing more.

Broadly speaking, one would then expect the good schools to get better and the bad schools to get worse. Standards would soar, but only for the wealthy.

In a free market, competition creates choice but the choices available to individual consumers are *always* related to their relative levels of affluence. The rich can afford to dine at Michelin starred restaurants, the poor get a greasy burger as a treat. As it is with dining, so would it be with privatised education.
    But if everyone gets the same value voucher and top ups are not allowed then we have something potentially quite exciting.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    kinabalu said:

I don't support private schools in principal but the solution is to make state schools better.

We should abolish the Department for Education, privatise every state school, and use the money saved to give to parents as vouchers, and watch education standards soar.
    That would solve nothing - at least, not unless your aim is to widen inequality and make life even better for the upper strata of society. The best schools would, of course, be located in the most affluent areas, where they could afford to charge the parents a lot more than the face value of the vouchers (and therefore build the best facilities and attract the best teachers.)

The shit schools would all be located in the poorest areas, where parents would have the vouchers and nothing more.

Broadly speaking, one would then expect the good schools to get better and the bad schools to get worse. Standards would soar, but only for the wealthy.

In a free market, competition creates choice but the choices available to individual consumers are *always* related to their relative levels of affluence. The rich can afford to dine at Michelin starred restaurants, the poor get a greasy burger as a treat. As it is with dining, so would it be with privatised education.
    But if everyone gets the same value voucher and top ups are not allowed then we have something potentially quite exciting.
    Top ups would be allowed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    ydoethur said:

You know, I can watch and listen to ODI cricket and find it interesting and enjoyable. T20 I’ll admit I don’t really pay much attention to.

But without a crowd, this just doesn’t have any feel to it. At least the Tests still had an intensity and a level of engagement. But without a crowd to create atmosphere, this is quite dull.

And that’s to take nothing away from some quite nice shots Billings has played.

T20 is a Big Mac - seems tasty at the time but no good to have too much off. ODI - a decent pub meal. Test match - a fine banquet, taken slowly and the longer it lasts, the better the enjoyment. I don’t understand those who prefer T20. To me it just all the same, every game.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

I’ve had a busy day planning lessons and sorting various bits of paperwork.

Which people sometimes forget, in answer to your earlier question @DavidL , teachers still have to do in the holidays.

I think I’ll be ready for the start of term by noon on Monday, which means I can enjoy the four weeks of holiday with a clear conscience.
    My sons back on the 17th of next month! This holiday has seemed shorter than usual despite the working from home end to last term.
    I presume that working out how you are going to teach in the face of the dreaded lurgy has added to the paperwork.
    I have to prepare three sets of lessons:

1) If we’re all in school

2) If some of us are in school

3) if we’re teaching online.

As you say, this isn’t lightening my load much.

I’ve also spent much of the day reading protocols for staff on teaching, safeguarding, social distancing and remedial lessons, and getting my head round a new style of timetable.

Apart from that it’s so easy Dominic Cummings could probably do it.
    How has your timetable changed? Professional interest as I’m responsible for writing ours and I want to know what bright ideas SMT might get.
    Because we are working in ‘bubbles:’

1) Staggered start and end times of the school day - so no tutor time for Year 8 and 10, for example - to ensure we don’t have huge gatherings of students coming in together

2) Students stay in rooms and we go to them

3) Lessons lengthened for Years 11 and 13 in a bid to make up for lost time

4) Teaching groups rejigged to accommodate 1 and 2.

I think those are the salient points at this moment, others may emerge.
    The second one of those would be impossible for us, not just because of practical subjects but because for Y10 upwards each pupil will have a timetable that reflects their subject choices and will be different to most if not all of the others in their tutor groups. In fact from Y9 up we don’t teach any lessons in groups that match their tutor groups. That means that there is no one group for them to stay with.

I think we are thinking more along the lines of having half in half out. We are preparing to have lessons we teach twice while the other half each time get on with work set.
    It’s going to be bloody difficult for us too, but we’re still doing it.

For Years 10 and 11 we’re having bubbles of multiple classes to minimise disruption to option blocks, but it still isn’t going to be easy.
    We also have some teachers who are not the most mobile of people for various health related issues.
    I’m used to tweaking the rooms teachers use so that our less mobile students don’t have to go up stairs where possible. I ended up having a big row with an RE teacher (long since gone) who didn’t see why he should have to move out of his room for one lesson in the week so that a pupil with significant mobility problems didn’t have to go half way across the school and up two flights of stairs.
  • Options

These poor schools would fail and be replaced by something better, so there's an incentive for them to ensure great standards.

Plus being a One Nation Conservative, I'd ensure that poorer families would get a higher value voucher than affluent parents.

Edit - And maybe free/subsidised transport for the kids to get to school.
    Ah now that last bit - bigger vouchers to lower means - is new and attracts a modicum of interest.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Which people sometimes forget, in answer to your earlier question @DavidL , teachers still have to do in the holidays.

I think I’ll be ready for the start of term by noon on Monday, which means I can enjoy the four weeks of holiday with a clear conscience.
    My sons back on the 17th of next month! This holiday has seemed shorter than usual despite the working from home end to last term.
    I presume that working out how you are going to teach in the face of the dreaded lurgy has added to the paperwork.

I’ve also spent much of the day reading protocols for staff on teaching, safeguarding, social distancing and remedial lessons, and getting my head round a new style of timetable.

How has your timetable changed? Professional interest as I’m responsible for writing ours and I want to know what bright ideas SMT might get.
    Suddenly the profession is looking more attractive.
    Wonder why....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jul/30/trainee-teacher-applications-surge-by-65-per-cent-in-england
    Lack of jobs in other sectors possibly?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Wonder why....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jul/30/trainee-teacher-applications-surge-by-65-per-cent-in-england
    Recessions are a great time for recruiting teachers. It’s how I ended up giving it a try back in the early 90’s.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Wonder why....

The problem with education has always been these pesky kids. Get them out of the way and it looks a really good option.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

1) Staggered start and end times of the school day - so no tutor time for Year 8 and 10, for example - to ensure we don’t have huge gatherings of students coming in together

The second one of those would be impossible for us, not just because of practical subjects but because for Y10 upwards each pupil will have a timetable that reflects their subject choices and will be different to most if not all of the others in their tutor groups. In fact from Y9 up we don’t teach any lessons in groups that match their tutor groups. That means that there is no one group for them to stay with.

I think we are thinking more along the lines of having half in half out. We are preparing to have lessons we teach twice while the other half each time get on with work set.

For Years 10 and 11 we’re having bubbles of multiple classes to minimise disruption to option blocks, but it still isn’t going to be easy.
    We would have to have whole year bubbles given the way our options work.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

These poor schools would fail and be replaced by something better, so there's an incentive for them to ensure great standards.

Plus being a One Nation Conservative, I'd ensure that poorer families would get a higher value voucher than affluent parents.

Edit - And maybe free/subsidised transport for the kids to get to school.
    Ah now that last bit - bigger vouchers to lower means - is new and attracts a modicum of interest.
    It does mean state subsidies for those currently paying fees.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Fishing said:

Frankly America might be better if Trump was indeed King Donald, a constitutional monarch, and the government was run by somebody serious.

Jail. Nothing less.
    There would be a certain irony if the Dems went with ‘Lock him up’ as their slogan.
    It would. But let's not because -

When they go low we go HIGH.

Plus it would prejudice the trial and possibly lead to him getting off on a technicality.
    We know what prison does to the mental health of US billionaires. It would be awful if something terrible, and definitely self-inflicted, happened before things got as far as a trial.
    Only Barron stops me developing this thought with you at great length.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Wonder why....

The problem with education has always been these pesky kids. Get them out of the way and it looks a really good option.
    It’s why training days are a bit curate’s egg: the excellent part is the absence of pupils, the rest of the egg is the fact that they took it out of our holiday allowance.
  • Options
    One other thing I'd ensure with my education plans.

A maximum class size of 16.

One thing I cannot comprehend as a privately educated chap is class sizes of 30 plus in some state schools.

How on earth can the teacher give enough time to pupils who need help with class sizes that large?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited July 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

We also have some teachers who are not the most mobile of people for various health related issues.
    I’m used to tweaking the rooms teachers use so that our less mobile students don’t have to go up stairs where possible. I ended up having a big row with an RE teacher (long since gone) who didn’t see why he should have to move out of his room for one lesson in the week so that a pupil with significant mobility problems didn’t have to go half way across the school and up two flights of stairs.
    Ironic to reflect in light of that that in my first school the Head of RE and I agreed a room swap between ourselves and imposed it on SLT so a student with one leg (the other having been tragically lost due to cancer) wouldn’t have to climb any stairs.

That teacher sounds like a right git. I hope he was moved on by management.
  • Options

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    Sorry to hear that mate, what's going on?
  • Options

One thing I cannot comprehend as a privately educated chap is class sizes of 30 plus in some state schools.

How on earth can the teacher give enough time to pupils who need help with class sizes that large?

Simple answer? You can’t.
    More complex answer: lots of homework and tests to spot anyone struggling as soon as possible and then be prepared to give up lunch or break times for catchup sessions.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Ours are fairly straightforward because they only have 1 or 2 actual options (four blocks, but two of them are blocked out for Languages and Humanities).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    He’s moping about the Newcastle take over not happening. Must feel worse than a woke will when trump wins in November. Four more years... of Ashley,
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    He’s moping about the Newcastle take over not happening. Must feel worse than a woke will when trump wins in November. Four more years... of Ashley,
    I put on TalkSPORT this afternoon and it cheered me up no end to hear delusional Newcastle fans telling Adrian Durham how they are a big club etc. etc.
  • Options

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    Sorry to hear this, don't follow football myself.

I'm glad to read the news about Trump basically admitting he's fucked the election
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Well, I suppose that roughly doubling the number of teachers in the country and doubling the number of classrooms in every school would be one way to slash unemployment and stimulate the construction industry. One remains uncertain, however, of the practicalities of so doing.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636

My history GCSE class had around 40 people.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Ironic to reflect in light of that that in my first school the Head of RE and I agreed a room swap between ourselves and imposed it on SLT so a student with one leg (the other having been tragically lost due to cancer) wouldn’t have to climb any stairs.

He was not my favourite colleague certainly, and didn’t last very long. We have a much better replacement.

One thing you don’t want to do as a teacher is to get on the wrong side of the person who writes the timetable: not that I would ever misuse my power of course...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I'm out then. Ah well. Nice while it lasted.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Ours are fairly straightforward because they only have 1 or 2 actual options (four blocks, but two of them are blocked out for Languages and Humanities).
    Ours have four options; they have to pick at least one humanity and at least one language, but they get to choose which and can pick two of each if they want. Some options will have six sets across the year, others only one.
    Edit: and anything in between.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Wonder why....

Recessions are a great time for recruiting teachers. It’s how I ended up giving it a try back in the early 90’s.
    The air waves are also plastered with adverts for armed forces recruitment, which is another sure sign of economic disaster.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

He was not my favourite colleague certainly, and didn’t last very long. We have a much better replacement.

One thing you don’t want to do as a teacher is to get on the wrong side of the person who writes the timetable: not that I would ever misuse my power of course...
    Of course :smile:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

The Dark Side Tory Boy is strong with you!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Apparently there are lessons on a Friday afternoon. I wouldn’t know that from personal experience though...
  • Options

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    It is bizarre that the U.K. can happily sell arms to the Saudi regime to bomb the crap out of Yemen but when it comes to a football takeover it’s not acceptable. It’s ridiculous especially when you think of some of the previous owners of clubs they have happily waved through
  • Options

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    It is bizarre that the U.K. can happily sell arms to the Saudi regime to bomb the crap out of Yemen but when it comes to a football takeover it’s not acceptable. It’s ridiculous especially when you think of some of the previous owners of clubs they have happily waved through
    I suspect it has more to do with the Saudis pirating the PL games in the Arab world.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Apparently there are lessons on a Friday afternoon. I wouldn’t know that from personal experience though...
    Would I guess wildly wrong if I suggested the RE teacher had bottom set year 9 on Friday afternoons?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

How are you all anyway

Would I guess wildly wrong if I suggested the RE teacher had bottom set year 9 on Friday afternoons?
    😀
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

We should abolish the Department for Education

"The greatest failure, teacher is!"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    Thaskin was apparently a Fit and Proper person to own an FA club......
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    McConnell's line in the sand finally discovered.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1288896285886619648?s=20
  • Options

We should abolish the Department for Education

"The greatest failure, teacher is!"
    There are no teachers at the DfE, although plenty have gone on to work in admin jobs and even education management jobs (badly).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

How are you all anyway

Awful mate.
    I suspect it has more to do with the Saudis pirating the PL games in the Arab world.
    Right now, the PL cannot afford to annoy one of their largest broadcast partners.
  • Options
    British Grand Prix: Racing Point's Sergio Perez tests positive for Covid-19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53601564
  • Options
    For those interested
    The FIA and the organizers of the Formula 1 World Championship confirm that the Mexican driver Sergio Pérez, from the Racing Point team, has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not be able to compete this weekend in the British Grand Prix, on the English circuit. from Silverstone.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Praise the Gods. Finally someone senior in GOP gets it.
  • Options
    Newcastle United could still have new owners before the start of next season

Exclusive: American businessman Henry Mauriss believes he is in pole position to buy after a takeover by a Saudi-led consortium collapsed....

...Not much is known about the American, but Telegraph Sport has been assured by those close to the deal that he has a well financed and well planned project that includes the money to not only buy the club, but to also invest in it.

It is understood the loose business model will be based on the approach taken by FSF at Liverpool, with budgeted, gradual growth at the core of the mission statement.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/30/newcastle-united-could-still-have-new-owners-start-next-season/
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I think it's beginning to dawn on the Republicans that not only is Trump steering the ship onto the rocks, he's setting fire to the lifeboats too.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2020

Exclusive: American businessman Henry Mauriss believes he is in pole position to buy after a takeover by a Saudi-led consortium collapsed....

...Not much is known about the American, but Telegraph Sport has been assured by those close to the deal that he has a well financed and well planned project that includes the money to not only buy the club, but to also invest in it.

It is understood the loose business model will be based on the approach taken by FSF at Liverpool, with budgeted, gradual growth at the core of the mission statement.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/30/newcastle-united-could-still-have-new-owners-start-next-season/

That is honestly the best possible scenario for Newcastle and I hope it goes through for them.

Much better a reputable business like that than selling your soul to the Saudis or continuing with that swine Ashley.

Though I assume they mean FSG and not FSF?
  • Options

That is honestly the best possible scenario for Newcastle and I hope it goes through for them.

Much better a reputable business like that than selling your soul to the Saudis or continuing with that swine Ashley.

Yup, a typo.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Unfortunately that line is presently under water while the tide is in.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    My Man Evan McMullin (probably my best value loser after my Stein vote percentage bet) nails it in one

https://twitter.com/EvanMcMullin/status/1288912573929263105?s=19
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

Mitch only says there has to be an election on 3rd November.

He doesn't state anywhere that Trump and the GOP can't cheat like fury.
  • Options

I get the disdain for Ashley but under him Newcastle have continually punched above their weight. As they have this season.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1288868114520670208

The US is heading towards a massive democratic crisis that could destroy the republic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Yeah but what you don't want is for him to end up being Hicks and Gillet style chancers. For Liverpool that wasn't a complete disaster because they were always going to be bought before administration, for Newcastle it would be tough to find a buyer that would purchase pre-administration. Aiui, Liverpool were weeks away from the points deduction and it was only because the banks forced the sale of the club before that happened and permanently damaged the asset.

Even Man United had a few dodgy PIKs that the Glazers used and needed to float the company in Singapore to get rid of. Whatever anyone says about Ashley, he's never going to let Newcastle go bankrupt. This new buyer feels more like Hicks and Gillet than FSG or even the Glazers.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My Man Evan McMullin (probably my best value loser after my Stein vote percentage bet) nails it in one

No Nazi soldiers were killed in WW1.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Alistair said:

Yes, lots of Nazis in WW1...
  • Options
    Matt Hancock says all NHS patient consultations should be carried out by phone or video unless there is a clinical reason not to as he promises face-to-face appointments will still be available to people who want them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8575523/Matt-Hancock-guarantees-people-able-GP-face-face.html

WTF. How is this slipping through without uproar. GPs are going to miss a ton of ill health by going to phone/video only.
  • Options

I get the disdain for Ashley but under him Newcastle have continually punched above their weight. As they have this season.
    Indeed it was amusing re-reading the pre-season forecasts for how clubs would do this season on the BBC. Newcastle were tipped pre-season for finishing 20th: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53554820
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yes, lots of Nazis in WW1...
    Err, I think you'll find that the Wonder Woman movie told me there were loads and the Nazis were in fact the baddies in that.
  • Options

Alistair said:

History could have been very different had one soldier in particular died in WW1.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yeah but what you don't want is for him to end up being Hicks and Gillet style chancers. For Liverpool that wasn't a complete disaster because they were always going to be bought before administration, for Newcastle it would be tough to find a buyer that would purchase pre-administration. Aiui, Liverpool were weeks away from the points deduction and it was only because the banks forced the sale of the club before that happened and permanently damaged the asset.

Even Man United had a few dodgy PIKs that the Glazers used and needed to float the company in Singapore to get rid of. Whatever anyone says about Ashley, he's never going to let Newcastle go bankrupt. This new buyer feels more like Hicks and Gillet than FSG or even the Glazers.
    Indeed even with all the stick Ashley gets, he's not as I understood it loaded any debts onto the club. That's quite impressive compared to many owners.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Alistair said:

"I am the enemy you killed, my friend....
    Let us sleep now."
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    OK, so the list is Unite, GMB, Usdaw, NUR and the NEU.

Top blackhatting there!
  • Options

Matt Hancock says all NHS patient consultations should be carried out by phone or video unless there is a clinical reason not to as he promises face-to-face appointments will still be available to people who want them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8575523/Matt-Hancock-guarantees-people-able-GP-face-face.html

WTF. How is this slipping through without uproar. GPs are going to miss a ton of ill health by going to phone/video only.

Eh? Its not phone/video only. It specifically says face-to-face appointments will still be available to those who want them.

Frankly I hope this becomes permanent. Waiting in a waiting room surrounded by sick people is never pleasant, if the option to do it remotely is available and if its appropriate I'd much rather do it remote.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Parts of Yorkshire on lockdown again.

Where was BoZo today?

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1288858207184736258

Without a fucking mask!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kinabalu said:

That creates a significant deadweight cost

Additionally - as with universities - there is a signalling issue that no school would want to be perceived as cheap
  • Options

I don't think so, I've been using Babylon for about 2 years and it's been a revelation. Video appointments are absolutely great and if the doctor thinks it's serious after a video appointment I get a specialist referral and an in person appointment with the specialist within days.

My dad still uses the NHS for minor problems and it took him four months to get an MRI scan on his knee and then they effed up the first one and then it took another two months to get another one after he forced them to admit the effed it up the first time. With Babylon he would have got the scan referral in days not after two pointless x-rays, a pointless physiotherapy session and about 7 GP appointments (as you can imagine I've heard this story more than once).

GPs should be completely gotten rid of and replaced with video triage and 24h walk in centres.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Fairly certain some were in WW2.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Outside and socially distanced?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

The system works well at our practice and we have had much better access to the gp or practice nurse than ever before, and no waiting in the surgery, staight in to the consulting room

It is the way for the future
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

Eh? Its not phone/video only. It specifically says face-to-face appointments will still be available to those who want them.

Frankly I hope this becomes permanent. Waiting in a waiting room surrounded by sick people is never pleasant, if the option to do it remotely is available and if its appropriate I'd much rather do it remote.

I have a non-Covid health issue and I contacted my GP's surgery earlier this week. I had a telephone consultation within the hour after which my GP asked me to visit the following morning.

I arrived with mask to find hand sanitiser at the door and two other people in a normally crowded waiting room. I was seen and left within 15 minutes.

Smooth, efficient, organised. The other two people waiting were older people but both were wearing mask and gloves and kept well away.

I have a prescription to collect about which I will be notified.

I should also add when I made the initial telephone contact, I was told I was number one in the queue.

I thought Homeworking was a revolution - I was wrong - the provision of GP care is the real revolution. Like others, I have a concern health issues are being missed but perhaps, just perhaps, Covid has erased some of the hypochondria out there.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Difficult to campaign in a mask though. We might not know who was campaigning.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

You are just being silly

Social distancing does not require a mask anywhere in the UK
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Still should be setting an example and has he told us how many the net increase in police numbers are since the recruitment drive?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed even with all the stick Ashley gets, he's not as I understood it loaded any debts onto the club. That's quite impressive compared to many owners.
    Indeed, and we've seen even big clubs like Liverpool can be brought to near relegation by owners who load up clubs with unsustainable debts. Newcastle would probably end up like Blackburn with that type of owner, double relegation.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Oddly enough those photos look like they're both distanced and outside, not in a shop. So why would there be masks?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Still should be setting an example and has he told us how many the net increase in police numbers are since the recruitment drive?
    There's no requirement to wear a mask outside. If they were wearing a mask, questions would be asked as to why it isn't policy. Simple as that.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156

How on earth are low-tech patients - e.g. many elderly - who often have complex health needs going to do that?
    "Seven in ten [doctors] said telephone appointments increased their efficiency, rising to 76 per cent when asked about telephone triage."
    I bet they did. Nothing like absence of patients to improve a GP's productivity! Hancock in thrall to Zoom is ripe for capture by the doctors' union.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

You are just being silly

No I’m not if he wore a mask at every opportunity It would help people to accept it as normal
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

There's no requirement to wear a mask outside. If they were wearing a mask, questions would be asked as to why it isn't policy. Simple as that.
    Maybe it should be
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

You are just being silly

No I’m not if he wore a mask at every opportunity It would help people to accept it as normal
    It's not normal outside.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Still should be setting an example
    Maybe that is so, it couldn't hurt too much, nevertheless the strength of the condemnation has to be proportionate and if he has not ignored what the actual rules are I find it hard to see how we can get too upset at that, certainly not to the level of exclamatory incredulity shown.

If it is not even official advice to wear a mask in that situation then even if it would be useful for him to wear a mask even when not required, then how can we condemn him for not wearing one? It's not setting an example even since people aren't being told to wear on at such a time, so it might well confuse the message. It could confuse people as to what the law is.

That applies absolutely to Keir and others as well.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    Politico.com - [US House] Ethics Committee reprimands Schweikert for slew of violations

The decision could be a major problem for the Arizona Republican's reelection bid.

GOP Rep. David Schweikert on Thursday was formally reprimanded by the House Ethics Committee and ordered to pay a $50,000 fine for misusing official funds after a two-year probe.

The bipartisan ethics panel found that Schweikert violated 11 different rules and standards, which also included campaign finance violations, pressuring staff into working on his campaign and a “lack of candor and due diligence” throughout the investigation. . . .

Among the biggest findings from the Ethics panel is that Schweikert had paid over $270,000 to a firm whose sole employee is [Schweikert's former chief staffer] Schwab over seven years, violating the limit on outside income for senior congressional aides. Schwab left his congressional job in 2018 after seven years. That same year, the aide also repaid the campaign more than $50,000. . . .

The ethics penalty could be a major problem for Schweikert’s reelection, whose suburban Phoenix seat had already been eyed by Democrats going into November.

Donald Trump won the district by 10 points in 2016, but operatives in both parties concede he could be vulnerable due to his dismal fundraising and ethics woes. And House Democrats have fielded a well-funded challenger to take on Schweikert.

His most formidable Democratic opponent is Hiral Tipirneni, an emergency room physician who ran in a 2018 special election in a neighboring district.

She has to beat three other Democrats in the Aug. 4 primary, but Tipirneni has by far the most resources, with $1.6 million in the bank by the end of June. Schweikert had less than $240,000.

• Options
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Maybe it should be
    Do you want people to exercise? If so, I suggest we don't adopt that as policy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

How is it an example when nobody needs to wear a mask outdoor and socially distancing anywhere in UK
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Maybe it should be
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, and we've seen even big clubs like Liverpool can be brought to near relegation by owners who load up clubs with unsustainable debts. Newcastle would probably end up like Blackburn with that type of owner, double relegation.
    Indeed. Look how long its taken Leeds United to get back into the Premier League.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Maybe it should be
    But it isn't.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Maybe it should be
    Do you want people to exercise? If so, I suggest we don't adopt that as policy.
    Johnson isn’t exercising that should be an exclusion as long as not in crowded areas
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

You are just being silly

So it is a he should do it situation, not that it is a requirement in your eyes. I still don't therefore see the astonishment of him being out 'without a fucking mask!' as Scott stated, as though it is a must, or some crime.

We have to be fair to people, even Boris. If people think the policy is wrong and it should be masks everywhere, fine. But if that is not the policy screeching at him for not following a non-existent policy is just plain unreasonable. I think there are stronger angles to go after him today, given excess death info and so on (explanations aside, at the very least it requires a tougher explanation from the government than 'he wasn't following non-existent policy')
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

MaxPB said:

Partially that is due to the fact that he doesn't own the ground. It has always been Council.
    And also cos he tries to turn a profit.
    Which is why NUFC simultaneously punch above and below their weight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where was BoZo today?

Without a fucking mask!

Still should be setting an example
    Maybe that is so, it couldn't hurt too much, nevertheless the strength of the condemnation has to be proportionate and if he has not ignored what the actual rules are I find it hard to see how we can get too upset at that, certainly not to the level of exclamatory incredulity shown.

If it is not even official advice to wear a mask in that situation then even if it would be useful for him to wear a mask even when not required, then how can we condemn him for not wearing one? It's not setting an example even since people aren't being told to wear on at such a time, so it might well confuse the message. It could confuse people as to what the law is.

That applies absolutely to Keir and others as well.
    Totally all public figures should be out and about getting on with their duties while taking the maximum available
    precautions Showing everybody how to do things in the safest way
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. Look how long its taken Leeds United to get back into the Premier League.
    Exactly, and Leeds are a club with a comparable history and fan base to Newcastle.

Ashley is the focal point of a lot of hate from Newcastle fans, but ultimately it's the players and managers who haven't delivered good football. Spurs have had an almost negative net transfer spend for the better part of a decade and a decade ago we were finishing in the rubbish mid table positions.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Partially that is due to the fact that he doesn't own the ground. It has always been Council.
    And also cos he tries to turn a profit.
    Which is why NUFC simultaneously punch above and below their weight.
    What is their weight, though? Is it above or below Everton, who have spent a fortune to get to 12th in the league.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

How on earth are low-tech patients - e.g. many elderly - who often have complex health needs going to do that?
    "Seven in ten [doctors] said telephone appointments increased their efficiency, rising to 76 per cent when asked about telephone triage."
    I bet they did. Nothing like absence of patients to improve a GP's productivity! Hancock in thrall to Zoom is ripe for capture by the doctors' union.
    Do GPs really want their job to be reduced to a telephone service?

I would hope not.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It sure doesn't look it. But is Italy missing?

And well done, you've found a stronger attack line than that he is not doing something he doesn't have to.