Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Disastrous favourability ratings for Johnson in Scotland but a

2»

Comments

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited July 2020
    dodrade said:

Is there any particular reason Boris is so disliked in Scotland? Is he just too English?

He’s just too much of a mendacious charlatan, chancer, cad, buffoon and tit.

The mystery is why the English put up with him, not why Scots don’t.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

Is there any particular reason Boris is so disliked in Scotland? Is he just too English?

He's full of shite and the bumbling buffoon act is all too clearly an act.
    Yet why such a different perception south of the border? I can't understand it.
    Plenty of us South of the Border can see through the fat fuckwit too.
    Plenty perhaps, but not enough, obvs.

No, not at present, but they will.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

I will put you down as a maybe.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

PS IN fairness is he fat anymore?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561

LadyG said:

Fuck me its 25C and nearly 10pm

Temp in north Seattle at 1.45pm 76F which is 24C. And it's way cooler than yesterday. Temp outside my cabin door (facing south) now is 85F / 29C

Few in Seattle have A/C, which I'm guessing is situation for most in UK?
    In our house this afternoon there must have been a 10degC difference between the south facing and the north facing rooms.
    I believe you. At my humble abode IMPERATIVE to block sunlight at windows to prevent smallish apartment turning into freaking Easy Bake Oven.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited July 2020

Karen Bass getting lot of attention in the NY Times piece on veep.

Karen Bass has overtaken Susan Rice as second favourite on Betfair. Kamala Harris has drifted back out to 6/4 against.

Kamala Harris: 2.52
    Karen Bass: 4.2
    Susan Rice: 5.1
    Tammy Duckworth: 20
    Elizabeth Warren: 23
    Val Demings: 26
    Gretchen Whitmer: 42
    Michelle Lujan Grisham: 55
    Michelle Obama: 60
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 130
    Hillary Clinton: 190
    Stacey Abrams: 240
    Barack Obama: 300
  • Options
    TimT said:

LadyG said:

Lets hope it doesn't continue for very long....

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/government-warned-that-police-will-need-army-support-to-fight-summer-of-serious/
    In Maryland 29 of July's 31 days have climbed into the 90s F. As today was one of the two exceptions, that was 29/30 days in the 90s. The other day was 88.
    See temp in Bethesda is now (2.10pm PDT) same as Bethesda BUT our humidity just 44% whereas your 79% - ugh,
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    1) Cherry wasn't excluded. She chose not to run.

2) in what possible way is this a move against the left of the party. Truly the most astounding statement in the middle of this.

Cherry must have taken one look at Sturgeon's approval ratings and decided she didn't have the guts after all.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Emerson poll has Biden up 50-46.

Among men Biden leads by one point but is eight points ahead among women and that's his advantage.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,223
    Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

From talking with friends who like him, the difference seems to be whether you think he's laughing with you, rather than laughing at you.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

dodrade said:

He's disliked by the Nats.

You clearly didn’t read Mike’s header:

SCon voters: Johnson +41
    SLD voters: Johnson -47
    SLab voters: Johnson -70
    SNP voters: Johnson -87

All Scottish voters: Johnson -51
  • Options
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/ian-dunt-on-the-unstoppable-march-to-scottish-independence-1-6769598

Interesting piece by Ian Dunt on Mr J and indy:

"Those who questioned the [UK] government’s actions, or acknowledged the costs of leaving the EU, or who simply wanted institutional scrutiny of the process through parliament and the courts, were branded enemies of the people.

That message, which was drummed out by the press and government ministers, tacitly accepted one of the core ideas in Scottish nationalism: if those who opposed the government’s approach to Brexit were enemies of the people, and Scotland voted overwhelmingly Remain, then it followed that they were a separate set of people from those in England, where a majority supported it."

and

"His deal with the EU went a step further even than his rhetoric. No matter what Johnson says, he has in fact conceded that there will be a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

That is perhaps the single most striking development in the Scottish independence debate since the Brexit result itself. If Northern Ireland can break off into its own customs territory, then why not Scotland?"
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

fox327 said:

It looks to me possible that a second wave of the virus is coming, but it will probably peak like the first wave did. Social distancing has failed to prevent a second wave, and it will go on failing, then succeeding for a bit, before failing again.

There is only one thing that can stop this, a vaccine. Only the government can approve a vaccine - not the public. Why is it taking so long to progress a vaccine? There are several good candidates, but there is an insistence on following the traditional slow testing regimes that were not designed for the crisis we are in, which calls for the fastest possible response. The government has to move soon on this, or it is likely to lose control of events later in the year.

OT. If the Conservatives want to save the Union, they should replace Boris.

Unionists of the left and the right should drop their mutual antipathy and combine to see off the Nats.
    That's a hopeless proposition. Any kind of Tory/Labour pact (which isn't going to happen in any event) will simply result in Labour being denounced as Tories by the SNP and half of Labour's vote believing them and defecting.

If the opposition to the SNP consists entirely of Tories then they'll keep winning 60% or more of the popular vote every time an election is held.
    It works where I'm sitting. Con and LibDem unionists support the Labour candidate against the SNP threat. Elsewhere there could be unionist pacts in favour of other parties.
    Fantastic! You do that. 😆
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

A system where England, Wales and Northern Ireland are essentially held hostage by secessionists in Scotland throwing a tantrum and threatening to plunge the other nations into a horrendous, disruptive, drawn out negotiation over secession every time a PM is elected that the secessionists don't like is not sustainable - yeah, you might dampen secessionism in Scotland in the short term, but it's going to engender bitterness in the 95% of the country that doesn't support secession.

You think everyone in the rest of the UK is against Scottish independence?
    I am not living in scotland nor a scot and Iam pro scottish independence but I certainly don't want a referendum on it every few years as its highly disruptive for both scotland and england
  • Options
    Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

From talking with friends who like him, the difference seems to be whether you think he's laughing with you, rather than laughing at you.
    Interesting: yet it remains, why the difference in perception?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has placed a woman who is an apologist for the cold blooded murder of British children into the House of Lords. Let that sink in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    LadyG said:

Today was the third hottest day in the UK ever.
  • Options
    Note that the Great State of Tennessee is divided as per state constitution and law, into three Grand Divisions - East TN, Middle TN and West TN. (This is why the Volunteer State flag features three white stars inside blue circle in the middle of red field.)

My humble suggestion, is for England to divide herself into three Grand Divisions, which would each elect regional assemblies that would deal with regional affairs, and would assemble in joint sessions for All-England business.

Would leave open door for further, possible council for Cornwall along lines of London.

AND maybe make Berwick a Free City just for the hell of it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    I think with Boris you have to feel 'in on the joke'. English people know he's a bit of a buffoon, but he's 'our' bit of a buffoon.

A good equivalent would be Salmond. Not saying that Salmond doesn't have greater political talents than Boris - he probably does. But he's incredibly popular in many quarters in Scotland, so much so that he's still 'the Prince over the water' even when he's just got through a rape trial where his own counsel described him as a slimeball.

The ROUK sees Salmond as the thoroughly dislikeable corpulent toad that he is. Scotland doesn't see it, because he's 'their' corpulent toad.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has placed a woman who is an apologist for the cold blooded murder of British children into the House of Lords. Let that sink in.

Naz Shah is in the Lords??
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    edited July 2020

I think with Boris you have to feel 'in on the joke'. English people know he's a bit of a buffoon, but he's 'our' bit of a buffoon.

A good equivalent would be Salmond. Not saying that Salmond doesn't have greater political talents than Boris - he probably does. But he's incredibly popular in many quarters in Scotland, so much so that he's still 'the Prince over the water' even when he's just got through a rape trial where his own counsel described him as a slimeball.

The ROUK sees Salmond as the thoroughly dislikeable corpulent toad that he is. Scotland doesn't see it, because he's 'their' corpulent toad.

I agree that Salmond has always played badly South of the Border. Sturgeon however is quite highly thought of. The poster of Miliband in Salmonds pocket simply wouldn't work with Sturgeon substituted.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Wow, that IS impressive. Also oppressive, esp as I see humidity Greenwich is 63% not extreme but too high for comfort when temp is 23C.

Problem is here (& there) once house/apt gets hotted up, can take looooooog time to cool back down.

UP ON THE ROOF
    Carole King, Gerry Goffin

When this old world starts a getting me down
    And people are just too much for me to face
    I'll climb way up to the top of the stairs
    And all my cares just drift right into space
    On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
    And there the world below don't bother me
    No, no

So when I come home feeling tired and beat
    I go up where the air is fresh and sweet
    I get far away from the hustling crowd
    And all that rat race noise down in the street
    On the roof, that's the only place I know

Look at the city, baby
    Where you just have to wish to make it so
    Let's go up on the roof

And at night the stars
    They put on a show for free
    And darling, you can share it all with me
    That's what I say, keep on telling you

Right smack dab in the middle of town
    I've found a paradise that's trouble proof
    And if this old world starts a getting you down
    There's room enough for two

Up on the roof, up on the roof
    Up on the roof oh now
    Everything is all right, everything is all right
    Come on

Put down what you're doing tonight
    And climb up the stairs with me and see
    We got the stars up above us
    And the city lights below, oh
    Up on my roof
  • Options
    Craig Whittaker, the MP for Calder Valley, West Yorkshire since 2010, told LBC radio there were “sections of our community that are just not taking the pandemic seriously”.

Asked if by this he meant the Muslim community, Whittaker said: “Of course. If you look at the areas where we have seen rises, and cases, the vast majority – not by any stretch of the imagination all areas – it is the BME communities that are not taking this seriously enough.”

A spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain said: “This is shameless scapegoating of minorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/31/tory-mp-craig-whittaker-condemned-claim-bame-people-most-covid-19-lockdown-breaches

Bradford Mosque leaders didn't get the memo...

'People are not taking coronavirus seriously enough': Bradford Mosque leader says 'a lot' of his community has been breaking social distancing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8580399/Muslim-leaders-condemn-minute-lockdown-announcement-eve-Eid-abuse-power.html
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Has anyone mentioned this ?

Patients admitted to hospital
    29/07 England 23, Wales 64
    28/07 England 63, Wales 49
    27/07 England 69, Wales 43
    26/07 England 82, Wales 45

Patients in hospital
    30/07 England 835, Wales 137
    29/07 England 850, Wales 137
    28/07 England 868, Wales 136

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/healthcare

The Wales numbers make no sense.
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch's son James resigns from the board of News Corporation, citing "disagreements over editorial content"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Foxy said:

I agree that Salmond has always played badly South of the Border. Sturgeon however is quite highly thought of. The poster of Miliband in Salmonds pocket simply wouldn't work with Sturgeon substituted.
    Yes she does. The departure of Salmond has helped her - when she was seen as his mini me, it was worse.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    stodge said:

Among men Biden leads by one point but is eight points ahead among women and that's his advantage.

Mmm. Today's polls not that good for Biden. Just a blip, probably.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Wow, that IS impressive. Also oppressive, esp as I see humidity Greenwich is 63% not extreme but too high for comfort when temp is 23C.

Problem is here (& there) once house/apt gets hotted up, can take looooooog time to cool back down.
    That's brick buildings for you - the problem is never the first day of heat as it takes time for the bricks to accumulate the heat but they can hold it for days even after the air has cooled.

Hottest day 2019, second hottest 2003, third hottest 2020.

From recollection the 1911 record held until 1976 but that was broken in 1990 (fourth hottest day ever) and then again in 2003 and last year.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Rupert Murdoch's son James resigns from the board of News Corporation, citing "disagreements over editorial content"

Does he want the BBC job?
  • Options
    ‘The air’s gone out of the Scottish Tories like bagpipes under a steamroller’

“No, no, no, you definitely had it last. It wasn’t me. I gave it back to you. It’s not my fault you lost it.” So the scene we’ve all performed with house keys, wallets and TV remotes is now being played out by senior Tories keen to ensure they are not the last one to have had the Union before it was lost. Gone for ever: dropped down the drain, left on the roof of the car, slipping down the back of the sofa of history.

(£)
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-airs-gone-out-of-the-scottish-tories-like-bagpipes-under-a-steamroller-sdk203v2t
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

Government press briefing guy?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Carnyx said:

..."His deal with the EU went a step further even than his rhetoric. No matter what Johnson says, he has in fact conceded that there will be a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

That is perhaps the single most striking development in the Scottish independence debate since the Brexit result itself. If Northern Ireland can break off into its own customs territory, then why not Scotland?"

Is that a serious question? The man must be an idiot.

N Ireland can do because it is physically attached to the EU. Scotland is not.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

..."His deal with the EU went a step further even than his rhetoric. No matter what Johnson says, he has in fact conceded that there will be a customs border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Yet.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Pagan2 said:

A system where England, Wales and Northern Ireland are essentially held hostage by secessionists in Scotland throwing a tantrum and threatening to plunge the other nations into a horrendous, disruptive, drawn out negotiation over secession every time a PM is elected that the secessionists don't like is not sustainable - yeah, you might dampen secessionism in Scotland in the short term, but it's going to engender bitterness in the 95% of the country that doesn't support secession.

I am not living in scotland nor a scot and Iam pro scottish independence but I certainly don't want a referendum on it every few years as its highly disruptive for both scotland and england
    There's been one in 313 years. Apologies for the disruption.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Yet.
    Is somebody planning to physically separate Scotland from England and actually move it across the North Channel until it butts up against N Ireland?

N Ireland and S Ireland are (to use a local phrase) on "The island of Ireland" and are thus geographically isolated from Great Britain.
  • Options

stodge said:

Maybe just dodging slightly discouraging news BUT polls posted today that stand out

> Massachusetts US Senate D primary (Aug 4): Joe Kennedy 41%, Ed Markey 44%
    up until this week's Boston Globe endorsement of incumbent Markey, challenger congressman from famous Mass clan was ahead (personally am rooting for JK, he's one of the best of the younger Ks, a workhorse versus show pony (though he shows pretty damn good).

> US Congress generic party vote: Democrats 46, Republicans 41
    advantage of +5 would float a lot of Dem boats, and sink the GOP, and could end up higher as 13% still other/undecided
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Scotland isn't Labour vs Tory though. It's Indy vs Unionists, Johnson and Starmer are on the same side.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    dodrade said:

Unionists are still prioritising tory-dislike over pro-Union. Eventually they'll have to pick a side to see either see off the Nationalists or accept Independence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

Craig Whittaker, the MP for Calder Valley, West Yorkshire since 2010, told LBC radio there were “sections of our community that are just not taking the pandemic seriously”.

Asked if by this he meant the Muslim community, Whittaker said: “Of course. If you look at the areas where we have seen rises, and cases, the vast majority – not by any stretch of the imagination all areas – it is the BME communities that are not taking this seriously enough.”

A spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain said: “This is shameless scapegoating of minorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/31/tory-mp-craig-whittaker-condemned-claim-bame-people-most-covid-19-lockdown-breaches

Bradford Mosque leaders didn't get the memo...

'People are not taking coronavirus seriously enough': Bradford Mosque leader says 'a lot' of his community has been breaking social distancing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8580399/Muslim-leaders-condemn-minute-lockdown-announcement-eve-Eid-abuse-power.html

The only way I see the virtue signallers can maintain outrage at the former whilst allowing the latter to go unmentioned is thinking the Guardian is more trustworthy than the Mail on these issues (having to ignore the Guardians mix ups of black singers while they’re at it)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    The Wisdom of Crowds only works where the Law of Large Numbers applies.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Now a sceptic would say this is all of the Trumpster's evil genius plan - to trash the mail service so that a mail-in election is bound to be a disaster.
  • Options

TimT said:

LadyG said:

Lets hope it doesn't continue for very long....

https://www.lbcnews.co.uk/uk-news/government-warned-that-police-will-need-army-support-to-fight-summer-of-serious/
    In Maryland 29 of July's 31 days have climbed into the 90s F. As today was one of the two exceptions, that was 29/30 days in the 90s. The other day was 88.
    See temp in Bethesda is now (2.10pm PDT) same as Bethesda BUT our humidity just 44% whereas your 79% - ugh,
    77F and raining feels positively spring-like after the last month ;)
  • Options
    I wrote the other day that I had read scientific papers on Zombies, but none on demons. As luck would have it, look what shows up today:

https://www.livescience.com/zombie-cicadas-lure-victims.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Pagan2 said:

Little more than 20% of the duration of the Roman Empire (definition dependent), so let's play it safe and give it another 500 years just to be safe.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    So my reading glasses have been 'lost' since Tuesday. I've just found them. In plain sight on my desk.

To be fair, when the laptop lid was open it hid them, but still...

Time for a lie down. Night all. Cooler tomoz.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Yet.
    Is somebody planning to physically separate Scotland from England and actually move it across the North Channel until it butts up against N Ireland?

N Ireland and S Ireland are (to use a local phrase) on "The island of Ireland" and are thus geographically isolated from Great Britain.
    No, they are going to build a bridge.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Boris has a big positive rating with 2019 Scottish Tory voters which should be enough for him to hold the 6 existing Tory seats.

Of greater concern for the SNP is even 2019 SNP voters do not give Starmer a negative rating considering most of their seats have Labour not the Tories in second place
  • Options
    Grand Divisions of England is a concept worth exploring, at least in Fantasyland.

North England, capital York, assembly > Thing of York

West England, capital Salisbury, assembly > Senate of Salisbury

East England, capital Canterbury, assembly > Canterbury Witenaġemot

All-England Grand Assembly, annual one-week meetings held at Westminster (when Houses of Parliament not in session) OR could rotate between three grand divisions OR could congregate in Berwick just for the hell of it.
  • Options

stodge said:

Maybe just dodging slightly discouraging news BUT polls posted today that stand out

up until this week's Boston Globe endorsement of incumbent Markey, challenger congressman from famous Mass clan was ahead (personally am rooting for JK, he's one of the best of the younger Ks, a workhorse versus show pony (though he shows pretty damn good).

advantage of +5 would float a lot of Dem boats, and sink the GOP, and could end up higher as 13% still other/undecided
    16% undecided in Massachusetts

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1289220091708682240?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

All to play for, that's for sure. Winner of Dem primary prohibitive favorite this Fall.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

All to play for, that's for sure. Winner of Dem primary prohibitive favorite this Fall.
    The winner of the Dem primary will almost certainly win the general election and be the next Massachusetts Senator, if Trump is re elected then a Massachusetts Senator named Kennedy would them be frontrunner for 2024
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Succession...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Yet.

No, they are going to build a bridge.
    Yeah... right!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

The winner of the Dem primary will almost certainly win the general election and be the next Massachusetts Senator, if Trump is re elected then a Massachusetts Senator named Kennedy would them be frontrunner for 2024
    Markey is already the Senator, young Joe is trying to replace him. As for 2024, think he's planning to reverse Great-Uncle Ted's game plan: first be a good, even great senator - THEN run for higher office.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris has a big positive rating with 2019 Scottish Tory voters which should be enough for him to hold the 6 existing Tory seats.

Of greater concern for the SNP is even 2019 SNP voters do not give Starmer a negative rating considering most of their seats have Labour not the Tories in second place

Sturgeon must be bricking it with her 97% positive rating amongst SNP voters.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

This is the end of series 2 of Succession
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Rishi Sunak is getting some free promotion from Wetherspoons.

• Options

Pagan2 said:

Wasn’t there one in the late 70s?
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    “No experience with the post office”

Of course it’s not possible for an external appointment to ever be the right choice

I don’t know De Joy so gave no idea about his qualifications. However Wikipedia says he spent his career in freight logistics so I would assume he had some transferable skills
  • Options

Grand Divisions of England is a concept worth exploring, at least in Fantasyland.

All-England Grand Assembly, annual one-week meetings held at Westminster (when Houses of Parliament not in session) OR could rotate between three grand divisions OR could congregate in Berwick just for the hell of it.

Kernow with a seat at Launceston, Wessex based out of Chippenham or Winchester and Mercia in Rugby.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Alistair said:

ROFL

A very specific change in the rules was made to prevent her from running. She then "chose not to run"...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

• Options
    Charles said:

Kernow with a seat at Launceston, Wessex based out of Chippenham or Winchester and Mercia in Rugby.
    Have already provided for Cornwall. As for the rest, methinks merely machiavellian machination to establish Greater East Cornwall Co-Prosperity Sphere through the backdoor.

Clever you extreme Cornish nationalists (or visa versa)!
  • Options

Charles said:

Have already provided for Cornwall. As for the rest, methinks merely machiavellian machination to establish Greater East Cornwall Co-Prosperity Sphere through the backdoor.

Clever you extreme Cornish nationalists (or visa versa)!
    Kernow is not part of West England and never has been. Anyway Launceston is seriously inconvenient for our Kernow seat. Chippenham and Winchester both work well for Wessex though - much preferred to Salisbury.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Charles said:

We don't want those launceston buggers running things they are almost english
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

I was going to give you Devon as well so don’t complain too much 🙄
  • Options

Karen Bass getting lot of attention in the NY Times piece on veep.

Karen Bass has overtaken Susan Rice as second favourite on Betfair. Kamala Harris has drifted back out to 6/4 against.

Kamala Harris: 2.52
    Karen Bass: 4.2
    Susan Rice: 5.1
    Tammy Duckworth: 20
    Elizabeth Warren: 23
    Val Demings: 26
    Gretchen Whitmer: 42
    Michelle Obama: 60
    Stacey Abrams: 240
    Susan Rice has reclaimed the number two spot in the betting from Karen Bass.

Kamala Harris: 2.32
    Susan Rice: 4.4
    Karen Bass: 5.3
    Tammy Duckworth: 19.5
    Elizabeth Warren: 20
    Val Demings: 32
    Gretchen Whitmer: 46
    Michelle Obama: 65
    Stacey Abrams: 300
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Alistair said:

ROFL

A very specific change in the rules was made to prevent her from running. She then "chose not to run"...
    She could have still run.

At the end of the day if I was a cynically ambitious politician who wanted to be leader of my party I would simply choose to be a member of a party with a less popular leader.

Like Labour, they're crap.
  • Options
    Marco Biagi, the former MSP for Edinburgh Central, thought Cherry would still run and the rule change would give her a boost.

If I had been the NEC I wouldn't have done the rules change and trusted the Ed Central membership to do their job but it is still hilarious to see Cherry slink off with her tail between her legs.

When you entire leadership platform is based on Sturgeon being unpopular and keeps doing the wrong thing recent polling (and election results) have been pretty devastating for the premise.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Alistair said:

Bozo despised in Scotland. Coleslaw is his fall guy.

Please don't fall for the weak pish that Carlaw was forced out by Downing Street.

The senior SCons had their preferred replacement lined up and ready to go the nano second Carlaw announced he was. Some even mentioned Ross in their "so sad to see Carlaw go" statements so eager were they to get on with the defenestration.
    Still a London coup, putting in an ever worse lapdog
  • Options

fox327 said:

If the Conservatives want to save the Union, they should replace Boris.

They don’t and they won’t.
    It is done for only a question of when and by whom, certainly not Sturgeon though
  • Options

Carnyx said:

dodrade said:

Carnyx said:

dodrade said:

I can't understand it either - even the most right wing and Brexiter types can't cope with the idea of him as PM. Including folk whom one would expect to knuckle their brows to a laird, however Anglicified at Eton. .

Maybe the problem is with the English voters ...
    Boris seems to have the same effect on his detractors Homer Simpson had on Frank Grimes, as if his levity is somehow a personal affront.

He has a considerable working class following though in England and Wales that isn't replicated in Scotland. Do they simply prefer dour personalities?
    THere may be a bit of that - I don't think that English commentators can quite understand how Mr Brown ex-PM and Ms Sturgeon come over better in Scotland than they can imagine. But it's clear there is something toxic in the Johnsonian pudding mix.
    Isn't support or lack thereof for EU verus Brexit the X factor that is separating Scots from English (and Welsh) voters?
    Far far from it , that is a minor point of minor consequence in the independence matter.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

PS IN fairness is he fat anymore?
    YES
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Wasn’t there one in the late 70s?
    @Charles There certainly was NOT. There was a devolution vote NOT an independence referendum @Theuniondivvie
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@foxy That was because they were scared of him, they know Sturgeon is in it for herself , not for independence.
  • Options

@Luckyguy1983 Seen some bollox on here but that takes the biscuit, you unionists are really shit scared of Salmond even when he is out of politics.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

dodrade said:

@tres Hard to see how anyone could like the fat lying self seeking arse
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

2) in what possible way is this a move against the left of the party. Truly the most astounding statement in the middle of this.

Cherry must have taken one look at Sturgeon's approval ratings and decided she didn't have the guts after all.
    @Alistair Yes all fair and square, so confident he had to get his pals on NEC to get rid of the competition. The clique running the SNP will do anything to keep themselves fat and happy.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Go with the cathedral town - Truro