Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Schools reopening has to be at the heart of the Covid plan. Ev

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Golf has a political connotations for American presidents best AVOIDED. These can be summed up as:
    > playing instead of working; and
    > upper-class (rather upper-middle-class) snobbery.

IIRC Woodrow Wilson was first golfing president, followed by Harding who was a typical duffer-golfer fanatic. Harding's reputation for spending large amounts of time on the links enhanced neither his reputation nor that of the golf. One reason why Coolidge & Hoover avoided the game, as of course did FDR for other reasons.

Harry Truman liked to play golf, but he was NOT in same league as Dwight Eisenhower. Indeed, Ike's passion for the game and time he spend on the links because political arguments against him. Of course he was re-elected anyway, but did NOT enhance his image.

Kennedy, LBJ & Nixon lacked Ike's golf mania. Gerry Ford was fairly avid golfer, but kept it under wraps until AFTER he lost 1976 election.

Wasn't until Bill Clinton that presidential golf again because a thing, as it was with Obama. By their time, sport had democratized somewhat, but still retained some tinge & taint of classes versus masses (as in "Caddyshack"). Which is why Trumpsky made such a deal about Obama's golfing.

Golf - best avoided IF you are President of United States. Hardly bar sinister - but NOT helpful politically.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    The other way of looking at it is it’s far better the useless ugly fat fucker is playing golf than cocking up running the USA.
    He's a multi tasker, he can do both.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    Cyclefree said:

I am thoroughly depressed by everything. My brother has been made redundant. My son lost his job too. I am looking for work as my consultancy work has reduced significantly for the moment. I hope it can be from home but I may have to take the health risk of working in an office. Bills need to be paid. Family needs to be supported. Other son is working for daughter, who expects her business to be closed down again this autumn and - if there is no second support package at least as good as the first - it will be for good this time. So that will be all 3 children unemployed and with little chance of finding alternative employment.

All very well talking about the importance of education but what happens to the children of parents who lose their jobs and face losing their homes? Going to school does not insulate them from the mental, emotional, financial and other consequences.

I don’t know what the answer is. But the horizon looks very dark and bleak to me.

I am really sorry to hear your news, Cyclefree.
    I’m fairly confident there will be an effective vaccine, but with current plans that is realistically six months away at best. The damage in the meantime will be large, whatever policies government pursues, and I don’t have any answers, either.