Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just 2 more YouGov daily polls this year and those who bet

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just 2 more YouGov daily polls this year and those who bet on a 2013 cross-over look set to be disappointed

In the summer PaddyPower attracted a lot of betting interest with a new market on whether the Tories would over-take Labour in at least one poll before the end of the year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HillmanMinxHillmanMinx Posts: 33
    edited December 2013
    It's very instructive to look at previous Decembers since Cameron became PM. This is the second worst on record. We often forget how well the Tories were doing until the March 2012 budget
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Best PM?

Cameron's lead over Miliband:

All 15% (+6)
    Ukip 21%
    LD10 4%

(Today's YouGov)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    For comparison here are Cameron's leads in the best PM question in all years of this parliament:

17/18 Dec 2013 +15
    11/12 Dec 2012 +8
    20/21 Dec 2011 +19
    21/22 Dec 2010 +15

Edit: on 2/3 May 2010 Cameron only had a 6% lead over Brown
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tick tock .... tick tock ....

The clock winds down on another long stretch of Labour opposition.

The next question being who succeeds Ed Miliband in the Autumn of 2015 ? .... and will it really matter come May 2020 ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    Con minority government was the ARSE forecast wasn't it ?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    JackW said:

The next question being who succeeds Ed Miliband in the Autumn of 2015 ? .... and will it really matter come May 2020 ?

This is a post to keep hold of.
    I fully expect right wing posters to say 'but I never predicted a Tory win' come 2015

Or maybe you will just change your name 'JackW'?

• Options
    On the other hand, those of us who bet at 5/2 on the Lib Dems not getting as high as 14% in a YouGov poll are moving from hopeful to confident.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

JackW said:

I fully expect right wing posters to say 'but I never predicted a Tory win' come 2015

Are you certain of a Labour win?
  • Options
    Millsy said:

For comparison here are Cameron's leads in the best PM question in all years of this parliament:

17/18 Dec 2013 +15
    11/12 Dec 2012 +8
    20/21 Dec 2011 +19
    21/22 Dec 2010 +15

Edit: on 2/3 May 2010 Cameron only had a 6% lead over Brown

Brown was better than EdM. Labour will probably get less votes in 2015 than in 2010.
  • Options

Con minority government was the ARSE forecast wasn't it ?

The latest ARSE projection :

Con 301 .. Lab 276 .. LibDem 39

So possible Con minority or more likely another Coaltion government with the LibDems.

• Options
    Freggles said:

JackW said:

I should hope you keep all of my posts as the masses are want to do !!

I've been JackW, warts and all, on PB since Mike Smithson stuck the first shilling in the site meter in 2004. You're stuck with me until the grim reaper attends .... he's tried before but Mrs JackW gave him a piece of her mind and he thought better off it.

• Options
    Millsy said:

Freggles said:

JackW said:

Are you certain of a Labour win?
    I'm extremely confident that there will be no Conservative majority.
    My prediction is LAB most seats in a hung parliament but if everything goes the Tories' way they could end up with a handful more seats than LAB.

But I'm happy to go on record with that.

• Options
    Tic Toc Tic Tic Avery LP......just two to go now.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: Red Bull are losing out on two more leading engineers (to Mercedes, this time):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25444218

I don't think this'll affect them in 2014, but in 2015 Newey will have lost about four of his chief lieutenants.
  • Options
    Tic toc .... tic toc ....

JackW's Chrimbo Quiz Question Coming Up Later ....
  • Options
    JackW said:

Freggles said:

JackW said:

I've been JackW, warts and all, on PB since Mike Smithson stuck the first shilling in the site meter in 2004. You're stuck with me until the grim reaper attends .... he's tried before but Mrs JackW gave him a piece of her mind and he thought better off it.
    I can't be alone in expecting a regeneration in the style of the Doctor:

JackW is 924 years old...
  • Options

JackW said:

Freggles said:

JackW said:

I can't be alone in expecting a regeneration in the style of the Doctor:

JackW is 924 years old...
    That explains some of my unusual wardrobe and especially the long woollen scarves !!

• Options
    Ever since our in absentia pundit told us that Spurs were on the up and TSE started betting on them, they appear to have gone in to melt down...

I blame anyone with a 3-letter long moniker on PB for this..
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    If you missed @SeanT's DT blog about the upside to getting extremely sloshed - its very funny http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100249896/new-home-office-advice-drink-60-units-of-alcohol-a-day-if-you-want-to-paint-really-well/

I tweeted it - I'm clearly a groupie now.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It's very instructive to look at previous Decembers since Cameron became PM. This is the second worst on record. We often forget how well the Tories were doing until the March 2012 budget

And think how well Ed was doing until the Autumn statement !?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if poll trends tend to be linear or exponential? What I'm thinking is that things for one party may get steadily worse until some sort of tipping point is reached and then they get alot worse. And then the trend reverses and hits the other party. If we looked at poll trends over longish periods of time would we see sine wave, saw tooth or curve-up/curve-down patterns?

Or is there no observable pattern to the changing fortunes of the parties over time?
  • Options
    One can tell that Cameron had a good PMQ's yesterday as Iain Martin has had to wheel out his "scrap PMQ's it's so awful" blog post..

• Options
    Interesting Tele story - Cam to use parliament act to get referendum bill through.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10526825/Cameron-prepares-nuclear-option-on-EU-referendum.html

"David Cameron is prepared to use special constitutional powers to ensure that plans for an EU referendum become law before the next election.
    The Prime Minister has pledged to use the Parliament Act to overpower the House of Lords and get the EU Referendum Bill onto the statute book before 2015, it is understood.

Mr Cameron fears the Bill, which promises to give the British public a vote on membership of the European Union by 2017, could be killed in the House of Lords by Labour and Liberal Democrat peers.
    That would leave the Conservatives vulnerable to attacks by Ukip in the next election"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited December 2013
    Isn't December 2011 a bad comparison because Vetogasm was happening then.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    Patrick said:

Does anyone know if poll trends tend to be linear or exponential? What I'm thinking is that things for one party may get steadily worse until some sort of tipping point is reached and then they get alot worse. And then the trend reverses and hits the other party. If we looked at poll trends over longish periods of time would we see sine wave, saw tooth or curve-up/curve-down patterns?

Or is there no observable pattern to the changing fortunes of the parties over time?

The usual pattern is long periods of near-stability followed by a sudden shift when the public notices something, followed by a partial reversion to the previous mean. The only things that have produced siginificant shifts in the last 3 years have been the omnishambles (big drop in Tory vote), which initially benefited Labour significantly, but since when the benefit has worn off a bit. See

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

to see if you can spot any other shifts worth mentioning - I can't! Non-YouGov polls have shown more of a UKIP increase, though.

• Options

Isn't December 2011 a bad comparison because Vetogasm was happening then.

It's a pretty sad retreat position - now there is economic good news and a tightening of the polls, Cam haters have turned on him for not being as good as a specific point in the past.

What next ? He isn't as funny as he used to be ? *

* (c) Viz

• Options
    Scrapheap a few points.

I note AVB is a three letter moniker.

However I did make a profit overrall on The Spurs match, Thank you Emmanuel.

I concede it all went wrong for Spurs last night, the moment I started looking for odds on Spurs to win this season's Rumbelows cup.

I'm backing Southampton on Sunday.

And I've not even mentioned your prediction from last night.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Interesting Tele story - Cam to use parliament act to get referendum bill through.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10526825/Cameron-prepares-nuclear-option-on-EU-referendum.html

"David Cameron is prepared to use special constitutional powers to ensure that plans for an EU referendum become law before the next election.
    The Prime Minister has pledged to use the Parliament Act to overpower the House of Lords and get the EU Referendum Bill onto the statute book before 2015, it is understood.

Mr Cameron fears the Bill, which promises to give the British public a vote on membership of the European Union by 2017, could be killed in the House of Lords by Labour and Liberal Democrat peers.
    That would leave the Conservatives vulnerable to attacks by Ukip in the next election"

Won't that just mean it'll be killed by Labour and LD MP's instead?
  • Options

Scrapheap a few points.

I note AVB is a three letter moniker.

However I did make a profit overrall on The Spurs match, Thank you Emmanuel.

I concede it all went wrong for Spurs last night, the moment I started looking for odds on Spurs to win this season's Rumbelows cup.

I'm backing Southampton on Sunday.

And I've not even mentioned your prediction from last night.

I'm on a roll what with my You Gov poll non-bet too...

Saints to beat Spurs is my latest prediction!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

INdeed - but they'd have to actively deny us a chance to vote on it. No doubt this is precisely why Dave is doing it.
  • Options
    On topic, I think it's (just) possible that there could be a non-outlier poll that puts the Tories ahead at the moment. Looking at the graph, the Labour lead seems to have declined from around 7 to 5 per cent in the last month. If the margin of error is still 3% (I've not checked sample size and don't know if Panel membership polls have a different MoE calculation from in-person polling), that could produce a result that was at the edge of the MoE by understating Labour by 3% and overstating the Tories by the same amount - the two being related factors. That would produce a 1% Tory lead even with an underlying position of Labour ahead by five.

That said, I wouldn't anticipate it in the next two polls. There's only a 1 in 40 chance of a outlier favourable to the Tories and even including the marginal case, the prospect of one of the next two being such can't be more than about 1 in 15.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Patrick said:

The debate revolves around whether polling trends are a random walk (anything can happen) or a mean reversion (the outcome is basically predetermined). The conclusion seems to be that ultimately it's a mean reversion, which asserts itself by polling day, although early in the cycle (or over short timescales) it can appear to be a random walk.
    http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/psq_4021.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Why do so many people think a hung parliament is likely? With the LibDems likely to be cut in half, and UKIP unlikely to win more than a handful, the range of results that end in a hung parliament is incredibly narrow.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I haven't cried with laughter so much in ages - this is the funniest spoof I've seen in donkeys

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/how-the-media-will-report-the-apocalypse

It's got everything down perfectly.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    rcs1000 said:

Why do so many people think a hung parliament is likely? With the LibDems likely to be cut in half, and UKIP unlikely to win more than a handful, the range of results that end in a hung parliament is incredibly narrow.

personally I'm hoping for a Sinn Fein majority, then nobody would bother turning up for 5 years.
  • Options

On topic, I think it's (just) possible that there could be a non-outlier poll that puts the Tories ahead at the moment. Looking at the graph, the Labour lead seems to have declined from around 7 to 5 per cent in the last month. If the margin of error is still 3% (I've not checked sample size and don't know if Panel membership polls have a different MoE calculation from in-person polling), that could produce a result that was at the edge of the MoE by understating Labour by 3% and overstating the Tories by the same amount - the two being related factors. That would produce a 1% Tory lead even with an underlying position of Labour ahead by five.

That said, I wouldn't anticipate it in the next two polls. There's only a 1 in 40 chance of a outlier favourable to the Tories and even including the marginal case, the prospect of one of the next two being such can't be more than about 1 in 15.

Wouldn't it be delicious if the last poll of the year ended with a blue lead - then nothing for a week or more until the next one..... the way I'm calling things I'll predict a 12% lead for the reds in the last YouGov therefore!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    rcs1000 said:

If the Lib Dems really do end up on 12% (And 25 or so seats) then surely a Labour Majority is more likely than a Conservative one given the VI of 2010 Lib Dems ?
  • Options
    South Sudan's only a couple of years old but it's already got a civil war going, it seems: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25444406
  • Options

TGOHF said:

They haven't killed it yet - would be an interesting tactic going into a GE...
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with Cable's view of London:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25444981

I'm also amused that he reckons London is draining the life out of the rest of the country, then uses the term 'provincial' to describe airports not in London. Shade patronising, given places like Leeds and Birmingham are actually in the same country, by any definition.

I also disagree with the comments, largely. Whilst London does get an unfair proportion of museums, art galleries and so forth some degree of this is legitimate given the larger number of people who live there than elsewhere. Also, London does pay its way.

I dislike the London Vs Everywhere Else mentality. If we ever got Labour's mad regional assemblies it'd break up England pretty quickly, as Everywhere Else would demand more central funding, and we'd have a new political War of the Roses almost immediately.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

INdeed - but they'd have to actively deny us a chance to vote on it. No doubt this is precisely why Dave is doing it.
    But the only party that benefits when the Tories start banging on about Europe is UKIP. This has been an excellent week for them - immigration high on the agenda and now Europe - it's certainly Christmas for Farage.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Even if the Lib Dems are cut in half, there'll still be around 30 of them, 18 from N Ireland, 10 or so Scots and Welsh Nationalists and perhaps a handful of others. That's around 70 MPs from outside the big two - the ground that has to be crossed from one party majority to the other. OK, we're starting within that ground but Labour would still need to gain what by historic standards would be a large number of constituencies to win overall, and gaining seats is hard work.

It's true that the polls have given Labour a healthy, election winning lead for some time but there's also plenty of evidence - leader ratings etc - to suggest that no small part of it is pretty unenthusiastic. With the economic debate moving steadily to the Coalition parties (which itself may limit the number of LD losses), that lead looks even less secure.

On the other hand, can the Tories build on their 2010 position? It's only a few gains that'd be needed (assuming they hold what they have) but making those gains again will be no easy task.
  • Options
    We should stick an extra runway in at Heathrow and also invest in infrastructure outside London. I'm not convinced HS2 is the best use of our cash so we could use that...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

rcs1000 said:

Even if the Lib Dems are cut in half, there'll still be around 30 of them, 18 from N Ireland, 10 or so Scots and Welsh Nationalists and perhaps a handful of others. That's around 70 MPs from outside the big two - the ground that has to be crossed from one party majority to the other. OK, we're starting within that ground but Labour would still need to gain what by historic standards would be a large number of constituencies to win overall, and gaining seats is hard work.

It's true that the polls have given Labour a healthy, election winning lead for some time but there's also plenty of evidence - leader ratings etc - to suggest that no small part of it is pretty unenthusiastic. With the economic debate moving steadily to the Coalition parties (which itself may limit the number of LD losses), that lead looks even less secure.

On the other hand, can the Tories build on their 2010 position? It's only a few gains that'd be needed (assuming they hold what they have) but making those gains again will be no easy task.
    In 2015 Labour need to make 68 net gains to have a majority.

In 2010 the winning party made 97.
    In 1997 the winning party made 145.
    In 1979 the winning party made 62.
    In 1970 the winning party made 70.

And so on. In most elections where power has changed hands 68 has been perfectly achievable, and given Labour's inbuilt advantages this time around it is more than possible, it is likely.
  • Options
    Photo of the year:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71704000/jpg/_71704747_pa-15724210.jpg ?

Telegraph normally has good ones too.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

And so on. In most elections where power has changed hands 68 has been perfectly achievable, and given Labour's inbuilt advantages this time around it is more than possible, it is likely.
    You are looking at that the wrong way round. Power changed hands because of the number of gains made; it wasn't the fact that power changed that produced the number of gains.

In any case, 1979 falls short of Labour's requirement, as did 1951 and 1964, when power also changed. On the other hand, without checking, I think 1950 would fit the bill?

Even so, in the 16 general elections since the end of WWII, only two have seen gains on the scale necessary to give Labour a workable majority.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

rcs1000 said:

I also wonder if the large number of people saying 'NOM' is not due to the likelihood, so much as the uncertainty. As has been repeatedly mentioned there are a number of 'unusual circumstances' - UKIP (ie a 4th party consistently recording solid poll numbers and local election results) - Coalition Government - Lib Dems in Government etc. etc. Given the unusual circumstances, it is a very brave (or stupid) punter who confidently goes out on a limb a predicts how all the moving parts will align. In the absence of that 'NOM' is a 'safe' bet for the time being.
  • Options

Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

You are looking at that the wrong way round. Power changed hands because of the number of gains made; it wasn't the fact that power changed that produced the number of gains.

In any case, 1979 falls short of Labour's requirement, as did 1951 and 1964, when power also changed. On the other hand, without checking, I think 1950 would fit the bill?

Even so, in the 16 general elections since the end of WWII, only two have seen gains on the scale necessary to give Labour a workable majority.
    Majority of 1 will be good enough for the bookies :D. A Labour Gov't that quickly collapses would be best FOR ALL I think.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988
    Pulpstar said:

We should stick an extra runway in at Heathrow and also invest in infrastructure outside London. I'm not convinced HS2 is the best use of our cash so we could use that...

There are many infrastructure projects outside London that could use that cash, and many would have a better CBR than HS2.

However:
    1) Much of the money would be spent on London anyway, for instance on Crossrail 2 and various other projects.
    2) There would still be a massively problematic capacity crunch on the railway north of London.

As I have said passim, we need to look into why infrastructure costs us so much when compared to our continental neighbours, and why costs have increased massively over the last two or three decades.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25445842

More good news from the UK economy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688

As I have said passim, we need to look into why infrastructure costs us so much when compared to our continental neighbours, and why costs have increased massively over the last two or three decades.

Absolutely. This is something that comes up in, for instance, Modern Railways repeatedly (I love to read about the civil engineering -shades of Brunel etc.) One reason has to be railway privatisation and fragmentation into n involved entities and n squared interactions - all good for lawyers and accountants. But this can't explain things like roadworks??

• Options
    Sorry - got quotes wrong again. JosiasJessop is of course the (very intelligent) author of the first para in my last comment.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Best PM?

All 15% (+6)
    Ukip 21%
    LD10 4%

(Today's YouGov)

Maggie was 21% behind Callaghan with MORI on this question in final poll of the 1979 campaign.

Also Cameron's position falls by 9, as we saw in October, when Farage is put on YouGov's options list.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    rcs1000 said:

As UKIP have been under rated in every recent by election poll as well as the local elections when compared to the actual result, and that most people on here were saying the under rating was an over rating at the time, it could be that UKIP % will be much bigger than people think... I am pretty confident it will be over 8-9%, and think there is almost no chance of under 5%

That could mean the conservative vote share is over estimated and Labours lead maybe less flaky than is also assumed (as someone pointed out last night this would be true if UKIP took 6 Tory votes for every 4 labour)

Seems like kippers get under the skin of con and lab equally.... Analgous to the stereotyped version of incumbent residents to newcomers in a country.... They get the blame, let's keep them out, we like it the way it was, don't give them the same rights etc etc
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Looking at the graph on wikipedia I would say it depends on why the observed change in opinion happened.

Some of the changes are relatively rapid - the post-Coalition transfer of Lib Dem votes to Labour, the Vetogasm and Omnishambles. Others are slower - see the steady rise of UKIP taking votes from Labour and Conservatives - which has partially subsided on the Tory-UKIP axis.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

I also wonder if the large number of people saying 'NOM' is not due to the likelihood, so much as the uncertainty. As has been repeatedly mentioned there are a number of 'unusual circumstances' - UKIP (ie a 4th party consistently recording solid poll numbers and local election results) - Coalition Government - Lib Dems in Government etc. etc. Given the unusual circumstances, it is a very brave (or stupid) punter who confidently goes out on a limb a predicts how all the moving parts will align. In the absence of that 'NOM' is a 'safe' bet for the time being.
    I'm a little surprised you think 10 PC/SNP MPs without qualification. I would have thought that the impact of the indy referendum - either way - could lead to very different results for those alone.

That is without considering the knock on effects on other parties. I'm thinking in terms of Labour being seen to be in bed with the Tories in Scotland as part of the No Campaign, which may be a reason for their relatively poor performance there at the moment, or the psychological impacts of Mr Cameron being seen as saving or losing the UK on the Tories vs UKIP further south.

As has been pointed out here there is more than one dividing line in UK politics than the indy referendum - but where the two faults cross is going to be a very weak area ...
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, if people are voting based on best PM then they'll only consider two possibilities.

Instead of adding Farage they should remove Clegg.
  • Options
    Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun there's to be had in a jingle jolly way - JackW's Jingle Jolly Chrimbo Quiz Question :

Who are they and what links these three distinguished parliamentarians :

a. Our Andrea's number one now resides in our mans old pad. £1.5M bought plenty then

b. Bob's your uncle, Attlee thought him a top man among his peers. Blacks probably not.

c. Red box problems abounded but he played a first class straight bat.

• Options
    JackW said:

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun there's to be had in a jingle jolly way - JackW's Jingle Jolly Chrimbo Quiz Question :

a. Our Andrea's number one now resides in our mans old pad. £1.5M bought plenty then

b. Bob's your uncle, Attlee thought him a top man among his peers. Blacks probably not.

Presumably all UK Parliamentarians - otherwise c) could easily be Imran Khan
  • Options
    c - Geoffrey Howe ?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Not sure I agree with Cable's view of London:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25444981

I'm also amused that he reckons London is draining the life out of the rest of the country, then uses the term 'provincial' to describe airports not in London. Shade patronising, given places like Leeds and Birmingham are actually in the same country, by any definition.

I also disagree with the comments, largely. Whilst London does get an unfair proportion of museums, art galleries and so forth some degree of this is legitimate given the larger number of people who live there than elsewhere. Also, London does pay its way.

Shades of the 'Bumpkinland' tag applied to everything outside London by a flouncing ex-poster from these parts.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

As UKIP have been under rated in every recent by election poll as well as the local elections when compared to the actual result, and that most people on here were saying the under rating was an over rating at the time, it could be that UKIP % will be much bigger than people think... I am pretty confident it will be over 8-9%, and think there is almost no chance of under 5%

That could mean the conservative vote share is over estimated and Labours lead maybe less flaky than is also assumed (as someone pointed out last night this would be true if UKIP took 6 Tory votes for every 4 labour)

Seems like kippers get under the skin of con and lab equally.... Analgous to the stereotyped version of incumbent residents to newcomers in a country.... They get the blame, let's keep them out, we like it the way it was, don't give them the same rights etc etc
    Intriguing parallel there by isam between UKIP and new immigrants - there's something in that. I agree with the view that NOM is overrated - Lennon may be write to that people are putting their money on it as a proxy for "blowed if I know", but that's no way to bet profitably. It would be surprising if a reduced LibDem seat share and a limuted UKIP seat total combined to be enough to prevent one party or the other getting a majority.

Meanwhile, the Eurosceptical OpenEurope have run a wargame on hypothetical treaty negotiations, which may or or may not be predictive but anyway makes an interesting read and gives some comfort to all sides:

http://www.euractiv.com/uk-europe/france-sheds-tears-brexit-news-532314?utm_source=EurActiv Newsletter&utm_campaign=6800b65d31-newsletter_uk_in_europe&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bab5f0ea4e-6800b65d31-245514803

• Options
    @Lennon - Yes all UK men.

@Pulpstar - Sorry, not Geoffrey Howe.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,056
    edited December 2013
    JackW said:

c. Douglas-Home?

• Options
    The only one I can think of is that 2 might be Enoch Powell, though I suspect I'm wrong.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Best PM?

All 15% (+6)
    Ukip 21%
    LD10 4%

(Today's YouGov)

Maggie was 21% behind Callaghan with MORI on this question in final poll of the 1979 campaign.

Also Cameron's position falls by 9, as we saw in October, when Farage is put on YouGov's options list.

I still think that people haven't paid much attention to Milliband yet. The election is still 18 months away and it doesn't feel like you've got to choose between anyone yet. It's more that people are still in moaning-about-the-government mode rather than being forced to pick the best of a bad bunch.

My Labour voting friend was round yesterday when a clip of Milliband came on the news on the radio. Her exact words were "Who is that weirdo? He can't even speak properly".
  • Options
    edited December 2013

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Intriguing parallel there by isam between UKIP and new immigrants - there's something in that. I agree with the view that NOM is overrated - Lennon may be write to that people are putting their money on it as a proxy for "blowed if I know", but that's no way to bet profitably. It would be surprising if a reduced LibDem seat share and a limuted UKIP seat total combined to be enough to prevent one party or the other getting a majority.

Meanwhile, the Eurosceptical OpenEurope have run a wargame on hypothetical treaty negotiations, which may or or may not be predictive but anyway makes an interesting read and gives some comfort to all sides:

http://www.euractiv.com/uk-europe/france-sheds-tears-brexit-news-532314?utm_source=EurActiv Newsletter&utm_campaign=6800b65d31-newsletter_uk_in_europe&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bab5f0ea4e-6800b65d31-245514803

Cheers, it was the refusal by a lot of people on here to consider Farage being included in the debates that made me think of the immigrant comparison... How would people react if new immigrants , who were performing as well, if not better than the incumbents, were excluded from a level playing field because of contrived rules that incumbents devised, twisted every way to deny the newcomer the same status and access? There is also a lot of "blame the newcomer" and criticism of kippers who mention the injustice as "don't like it up them", again techniques used by racists and xenophobes

Smacks of 1960s "grandfather" approach to commonwealth immigration, which basically was a cowardly way of stopping non whites entering the country while trying to appear inclusive.

Another thought I had was that the EU free movement of labour between EU states could be seen retrospectively as racist by Asian, African and Caribbean countries... A cosy agreement between white nations to benefit their citizens while the others have to pass tests, and fit requirements to work in the country
  • Options

I still think that people haven't paid much attention to Milliband yet. The election is still 18 months away and it doesn't feel like you've got to choose between anyone yet. It's more that people are still in moaning-about-the-government mode rather than being forced to pick the best of a bad bunch.

This is my sense, too. I said on here the other day that I don't think Miliband's policies and general approach have been scrutinised very much yet, and I doubt they'll stand up well when that scrutiny comes.

ISTM there's a lack of coherence to Miliband's political philosophy (indeed, I couldn't remotely articulate what it is; can anyone help me out?) and that will surely get exposed as the general election draws near. Opposing the government is fine and is obviously a necessary part of the leader of the opposition's role, but what is Miliband proposing as an alternative? What are his answers to the UK's problems?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @Morris_Dancer No not Enoch.

@Theuniondivvie

Correct. The Earl of Home is c

The red box problems refers to his time in the Scottish Office when the present Queen ascended the throne. New post boxes in Scotland were deemed unsuitable for the EIIR cipher as there had been no Scottish Elizabeth I. PM Churchill introduced the convention whereby the higher regnal number of English and Scottish monarchs would be used for future sovereigns.

Lord Home also is the only PM to have played first class cricket in his youth - Oxford University, Middlesex and the MCC.
  • Options
    c - Sir John Major, KG, CH, ACIB
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,056
    edited December 2013
    Another indy poll, only TNS and not the mighty Progressive Scottish Opinion that everyone on here seemed so impressed with. Mildly encouraging for Yes, No on a steady decrease of 12 pts over nine months with the same pollster.

'Santa Brings Yes A Little Present?'

http://tinyurl.com/oyr3tn9

• Options
    @Pulpstar Not John Major. See below.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I tend to think that the Lib Dems may hold onto about two-thirds of their seats, rather than only half, due to incumbency and anti-Tory tactical voting, so I would have a wider range of results resulting in a hung Parliament.

In any case, if we accept UNS, and assume a poll share of 9% for UKIP, 15% for the Lib Dems and 7% for Nationalists and others, leaving 69% for Labour and Conservatives (+2.36 on 2010) then the Hung Parliament zone ranges from a 7% Conservative lead (38:31) to a 1.4% Labour lead (33.8:35.2).

I think it is quite unlikely that the Conservatives will increase their vote share on 2010, and they would need to do so by just over 1 percentage point to win a majority. So, either a Labour majority or Hung Parliament must be the most likely option.

For Labour to win a majority they would likely need to match the vote share they achieved in 2005, with the Tories returning most of the way to their 2005 vote share. I don't particularly see that happening either.

Their by-election performances simply haven't been that impressive. My figures above suggest that Labour require a swing of 4.4% to win a majority. My best guess now is that they will achieve a swing of around 3% - which would leave them with roughly the same number of seats as the Conservatives currently hold.

So they don't have to outperform my expectations by that much to achieve a majority, but I think that they are more downside risks for an Opposition.
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Morris_Dancer No not Enoch.

@Theuniondivvie

Correct. The Earl of Home is c

The red box problems refers to his time in the Scottish Office when the present Queen ascended the throne. New post boxes in Scotland were deemed unsuitable for the EIIR cipher as there had been no Scottish Elizabeth I. PM Churchill introduced the convention whereby the higher regnal number of English and Scottish monarchs would be used for future sovereigns.

Lord Home also is the only PM to have played first class cricket in his youth - Oxford University, Middlesex and the MCC.

Yep, if one knew he'd played first class cricket, it was a bit of a shoe in. Didn't know he was in the Scottish Office at the time of the pillar box stushie.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Absolutely. This is something that comes up in, for instance, Modern Railways repeatedly (I love to read about the civil engineering -shades of Brunel etc.) One reason has to be railway privatisation and fragmentation into n involved entities and n squared interactions - all good for lawyers and accountants. But this can't explain things like roadworks??

Thanks for the compliment, btw. ;-)

It's got little to do with railway privatisation, because as you say, we seem to see the same picture on roads as well. I don't rad Modern Railways - is it any good? (*)

It might also not be a real effect: I've crunched some numbers in the past, and infrastructure projects of all types seem to be increasing in costs at a rate way ahead of inflation, but it is hard to discover a) accurate costs and b) equivalent projects.

There are other possible options, which may not be mutually exclusive or even real: increased profits, the burden of legislation, machinery and manpower costs.

I would really like someone to look into this. But it should not be anyone connected in any way to the big engineering conglomerates.

I'm available for a price. :-)

(*) You might also like the following:
    http://www.theengineer.co.uk/
    http://www.therailengineer.com/
  • Options
    The chances of a hung Parliament must be related to the number of seats held by parties other than Labour and the Conservatives. But this can be overstated. Here are the share of the Con+Lab seats in the elections since the second world war in percentage terms:

1945: 92.2%
    1950: 95.5%
    1951: 98.6%
    1955: 98.7%
    1959: 98.9%
    1964: 98.6%
    1966: 97.9%
    1970: 98.1%
    1974 (1): 94.2%
    1974 (2): 93.9%
    1979: 95.7%
    1983: 93.2%
    1987: 93.1%
    1992: 93.2%
    1997: 88.5%
    2001: 87.7%
    2005: 83.3%
    2010: 86.7%

As you can see, it is possible to win a healthy overall majority even when one in six seats is held by a minor party and it is possible to have a hung Parliament even when only fewer than one in seventeen seats is held by a minor party.

The story since the second world war is in general a story of a rise in the seat count for minor parties. I'm expecting the 2015 election result to produce a combined Labour/Conservative seat count of approximately 90% on this table. That gives plenty of scope for a hung Parliament.
  • Options
    @JackW - Thinking about the potential link - is b) Tony Benn ?
  • Options

This is my sense, too. I said on here the other day that I don't think Miliband's policies and general approach have been scrutinised very much yet, and I doubt they'll stand up well when that scrutiny comes.
    I wonder if it is possible to get to the election without anything being properly scrutinised. I actually think it is, Obama got away with "hope and change" without anyone questioning it too much.

Milliband is probably trying to keep a low-profile whilst relying on low information, tribal and anti-Tory voters to get him home.

The real problems will start for Labour whilst in office. Milliband and Balls will be on the telly every day for 5 years. That isn't going to do them much good in the long term.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Best PM?

All 15% (+6)
    Ukip 21%
    LD10 4%

(Today's YouGov)

This is true, but it is still interesting if/when the numbers change
  • Options
    @Lennon - Sorry b is not Tony Benn

@Theuniondivvie - In 1951 when Churchill was returned to office Lord Home was made Minister of State at the Scottish Office and remained there until 1955 when new PM Eden elevated him to the cabinet as SoS for the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    Wow, yesterday it was King George's in East London, and Queens in Romford on special measures, now Colchester Hospitals cancer treatment has been deemed unsafe, and staff have been accused of falsifying info

Essex not the place to get ill
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    B - is Balfour, uncle Bob being the Marquis of Salisbury
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I disagree. I would put it in the top 3 performances, a very credible result.

(BTW, your comment reminds me of the old joke about Nixon and Khrushchev:

When Nixon visited Moscow, he and Khrushchev had a race around the Kremlin. Nixon came the first. The Russian media reported that: "In the international running competition the General Secretary of the Communist Party took the honorable second place, while President Nixon came in next to last" )
  • Options

I wonder if it is possible to get to the election without anything being properly scrutinised. I actually think it is, Obama got away with "hope and change" without anyone questioning it too much.

Yeah, true! But then he was unique; the first ever black (okay, mixed race) US president, and unsurprisingly he got a vast majority of the votes from black and minority ethnic people. Miliband has no such advantage that might help him claim, without scrutiny, such a large swathe of the electorate as Obama did in the USA.

Milliband is probably trying to keep a low-profile whilst relying on low information, tribal and anti-Tory voters to get him home.

It would be an utter travesty if he wins on this basis, IMO. The media had better subject him to proper scrutiny (I'm looking at you, BBC...) so he doesn't just get in by default, simply by virtue of being the main anti-Tory option.
  • Options
    If you think the energy price freeze hasn't been scrutinized I suggest you emerge from your hermitlike existence
  • Options

B - is Balfour, uncle Bob being the Marquis of Salisbury

Sorry b is not Balfour. Close but no cigar ....

• Options

JackW said:

c. Douglas-Home?

Technically, of course, 'Bob's your uncle' actually refers to Arthur Balfour, but as he died in 1930 I doubt that Attlee had much to do with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Balfour
  • Options

It would be an utter travesty if he wins on this basis, IMO. The media had better subject him to proper scrutiny (I'm looking at you, BBC...) so he doesn't just get in by default, simply by virtue of being the main anti-Tory option.

Isn't this what happens every time they get in?

I've come to the conclusion that Labour are essentially the anti-Tory party and nothing else. In 2005 for the election their main selling point after 8 years in power was "vote for us to stop the Tories getting in".

How often do you hear Labour shouting about the Tories even when the same thing applies to them eg. non-dom donors
  • Options
    What Miliband needs to do is get one or two business bods on board near to the election. Not necessarily the full Tony Blair complement, but opposing is all well and good - come nearer the time a smidgen of credibility is needed.

I wouldn't suggest he should do this now as it will have fizzled by the time of the election. December 2014 might be a good time to break out the photo ops with some Johnny-come-lately Labour Business convert.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

If you think the energy price freeze hasn't been scrutinized I suggest you emerge from your hermitlike existence

I know there was plenty of discussion here, but my impression was that most of the analysis elsewhere was rather tucked away, e.g. on the business news pages of the BBC website, not on the front page. *Retreats back to cave*
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

c. Douglas-Home?

Technically, of course, 'Bob's your uncle' actually refers to Arthur Balfour, but as he died in 1930 I doubt that Attlee had much to do with him.

Read the phrase a little more carefully. Does the phrase refer to Balfour ?

• Options

Freggles said:

I know there was plenty of discussion here, but my impression was that most of the analysis elsewhere was rather tucked away, e.g. on the business news pages of the BBC website, not on the front page. *Retreats back to cave*
    Anaylsis is never done on a front page. Britain Booming/House prices Soar/Labour's Energy Freeze/Gov't pension raid is the extent of it
  • Options

Freggles said:

It had a few front pages, lots of letters, responses from the government and energy companies, and it was on Radio 4 as well. Even yesterday during WATO it became part of the debate.

Also, I remember at conference time there were articles written about how Labour had shown too much leg by releasing lots of policy. People stopped referring to the blank sheet of paper meme for a month then decided the old tunes are the best and returned to pretending Labour have no policies
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What Miliband needs to do is get one or two business bods on board near to the election. Not necessarily the full Tony Blair complement, but opposing is all well and good - come nearer the time a smidgen of credibility is needed.

I wouldn't suggest he should do this now as it will have fizzled by the time of the election. December 2014 might be a good time to break out the photo ops with some Johnny-come-lately Labour Business convert.

They could ask that former tax-exile property shark that they have as a big donor?
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Freggles. Now Labour has two:
    Damage energy investment by forcing a price freeze, which will also disproportionately harm smaller providers
    Damage the housing market by attacking firms who have the temerity to make a profit after numerous years of losses

Oh and allowing councils to build new homes outside their own boundaries. Which sounds mental.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

It had a few front pages, lots of letters, responses from the government and energy companies, and it was on Radio 4 as well. Even yesterday during WATO it became part of the debate.

Also, I remember at conference time there were articles written about how Labour had shown too much leg by releasing lots of policy. People stopped referring to the blank sheet of paper meme for a month then decided the old tunes are the best and returned to pretending Labour have no policies
    The energy freeze isn't a policy because it'll never get enacted, or at least in the way he claims.

It is madness, plain and simple.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Indeed, Mr. Freggles. Now Labour has two:
    Damage energy investment by forcing a price freeze, which will also disproportionately harm smaller providers
    Damage the housing market by attacking firms who have the temerity to make a profit after numerous years of losses

Oh and allowing councils to build new homes outside their own boundaries. Which sounds mental.

Is opposing success just a general aim rather than a specific policy?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

c. Douglas-Home?

Read the phrase a little more carefully. Does the phrase refer to Balfour ?

I was just educating the masses (apart from yourself and Verulamius) rather than making a guess. Hence the word "technically"
  • Options
    New Clues :

New Clue - See Naples and die .... from the bay terrace.

There were no Elizabeth I post boxes in Hatfield when my kinsman lived there.
  • Options
    Mr. Neil, are you disputing what I wrote regarding Labour's policies on energy and housing?
This discussion has been closed.