Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets point to Labour re-taking Bradford West

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets point to Labour re-taking Bradford West and Brighton Pavillion

Over the holiday period I’m planning to look at some of the constituency betting markets that we have up. There are now quite a few of them with Ladbrokes PaddyPower leading the way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2013
    Also worth mentioning Respect's Bradford councillors splitting off:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_Party#2013:_Bradford_councillors_resign

I don't think I'm qualified to try to call the Bradford race as I didn't believe Mike when he tipped Galloway at some crazy odds, but I do think high-profile MPs from small parties will have strong incumbency. I reckon the voters will look after them like rare birds to protect the species, even if they're in two minds about whether they like them or not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Don't Mark Senior and Neil have a bet on this ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Love this seasonal message to PM et al from Denham Against #HS2 pic.twitter.com/JF1h5zXkEH

— HarefieldHS2 (@HarefieldHS2) December 20, 2013
  • Options
    In Brighton Pavilion I have good feeling that UKIP will be ahead of the Greens.
  • Options
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MikeK said:

No way. That seat is one of the least UKIP-friendly in the country, it's on average one of the youngest and most socially-liberal which is the exact opposite of UKIP's favoured demographics.

I think Caroline Lucas has a good chance of holding on. Firstly, she's managed to distance herself a bit from the Green council by criticising some of their decisions. Secondly, she'll pull in quite a lot of people who don't particularly care about Green policies or even necessarily agree with them, simply because people like having MPs who aren't from the same old tired party establishment, especially in a seat like that.

I agree Labour will probably take back Bradford though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    MikeK said:

Love this seasonal message to PM et al from Denham Against #HS2 pic.twitter.com/JF1h5zXkEH

As a UKIPper, you seem to be against HS2? How do you square this with your 2010 prospectus, which seemed to include proposals for *three* high speed lines?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I wouldn`t write off Caroline Lucas.

Seats which will go red down South are Brighton Kemptown,Hove,Hastings,one of the Medway seats and probably Reading West.

• Options
    FPT - Hello Sean, and thanks for the words of commendation.

Ref you comment "2020 could, therefore, be an even better opportunity for a battle-hardened political party of the populist right [if Labour win the next election], ... [as UKIP] will have had another half a decade to grow its membership and refine its policies."

That's true, and indeed, I mentioned that deliberately targeting the Conservatives was a policy logically consistent with a medium-term game aimed at increasing opposition to the EU. However, it also relies on the Conservatives not stealing UKIP's thunder, either on the Europe question (which as Mike points out from time to time, is not of itself of great salience, though associated issues may be), or as a general opposition to the government.

One reason that UKIP is doing so well is that Miliband is doing so badly. When Blair was riding high in the mid-90s, Others and the Lib Dems were not; his Labour Party simply swept up all the floating opposition votes. A Conservative Party in opposition under Boris, for example, may do something similar, even though Boris is instinctively pro-membership. It all really depends on how big an issue the EU is.

However, at the moment, UKIP benefits from:
    - the government having to deal with the legacy of the worst recession in decades
    - a naturally centrist Tory leader
    - an uninspiring leader of the opposition
    - no third party opposition
    - an expansion of immigration from EU countries about to take place
    - the apparent failure of the biggest and most ambitious EU policy.

Single issues may move more in UKIP's direction in the future but I'd be surprised if so many are so favourable again.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Surely too long odds on Galloway?
  • Options
    Tweedledrum 3rd ^^; Big collect for the bookies as At Fishers Cross unseats AP !
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

If you have a "good feeling" about that Ukip longshot then your other general elections predictions will have you enjoying multiple orgasms the night of the general election !!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I was looking at some Tory seats yesterday and there are a few with what I think are quite decent odds, eg South Thanet is 2.25 for a Tory win. Tis a shame that Sandys is standing down, but the Survation poll showed Labour doing poorly there.

There are others I might dabble on depending on how things go next year.

How's Galloway doing up there in Bradford? Is 4.00 for him not any good?
  • Options

MikeK said:

As a UKIPper, you seem to be against HS2? How do you square this with your 2010 prospectus, which seemed to include proposals for *three* high speed lines?

This is going to cause you problems Mike. It looks as though UKIP is oppotunistically grasping at an issue.

And whatever happened to UKIP's flat-tax of 2010 and the fusing of national insurance and income tax which would have added a massive extra tax burden on pensioners?

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited December 2013
    FPT:

Well, UKIP's EU strategy would be that if they can put enough pressure on the Tories they can actually move the next leader to BOO, or at least to a position that gives a referendum a fair shake - for example, that doesn't have a middle option that will then (as they and I see it, I know you don't) turn out to be bogus. That doesn't seem impossible - they've already got the Tories talking like they want to abandon really core, basic elements of the EU like free movement of people, which I don't think we'd have expected a few year ago, even when they were talking about repatriation.

Correct and as you say it's working. There is one direction of travel for tory Euroscepticism and it sure ain't towards staying IN.

Where I'd depart from the conventional strategy is that I don't think UKIP should be aiming for a referendum any more. Referendums are a strategy for people with a marginal case to move the ball up the pitch, and their case is no longer marginal. They should return to traditional British constitutional values (parliament decides) then try to get a majority between themselves and Con to leave the EU.

UKIP want OUT. That's it. They would much rather it was just official tory policy but if they have to do it through a referendum then clearly they want a tory party that officially supports staying OUT rather than Cammie and an official leadership stance of wanting to stay IN.

Farage knows perfectly well he isn't going to storm the commons with hundreds of MPs but if he keeps the pressure on then he not only continues to push fearful tory backbenchers towards OUT but the tory leadership as well. If not all the way under Cammie then then next leader will likely prove even more amenable. The more votes and sympathy the kippers garner from tory activists and the tory base the more certain they are of shaping tory policy. Farage also knows that if the tory party go to war over the EU again, and it starts to split and fracture over Europe, he's going to be there to pick up the pieces. The fact that Cameron is a second rate Blair impersonator has made certain that unhappy tory activists (swivel-eyed loons as the chumocracy would name them) are finding ever more policy positions where they agree with Farage and the kippers over Cameron's leadership. It used to be just about the EU, then EU and add immigration, then add climate change, then gay rights and so on and so on. That won't stop now. If Farage doesn't implode in a Robert Kilroy-Silk like manner then he gets to push the tory party as a whole ever further to his preferred policy positions or he just sits back and watches a tory leadership that tries to ignore them push ever more of it's own members and voters into his party which will just gain ever more traction as an alternative tory party the longer a Cameroon style leadership plays right into his hands.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited December 2013
    FPT: "The question also matters because of Cameron’s pledge of a referendum. Now, UKIP voters might well be sceptical about Cameron’s ability or intention to actually deliver on that pledge given the history over the Lisbon Treaty"

You think?

LOL

Cameron's own backbenchers don't trust him over his Cast Iron pledges so it's bit much to expect kippers to be that gullible.
    More than 100 Tory MPs 'express regret' at lack of referendum bill

More than 100 Conservative MPs have defied the government by backing an amendment to the Queen's Speech on an EU referendum.

They "expressed regret" that a bill paving the way for a referendum in 2017, as pledged by David Cameron, was not being brought forward this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22547910
    "As it happens, I think the sceptics are wrong: the Conservative leadership realised early on after making the Lisbon pledge that there was the risk – subsequently realised – that they may come to power after the treaty was fully ratified and as such would be unable to fulfil the promise, and sought to exclude that scenario from the commitment."

There's a reason so many kippers and much of the tory base remember that differently from the official Cameroon spin of Lisbon now.
    Conservatives could hold Lisbon Treaty referendum after ratification

A Conservative government could hold a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty even if it has already been ratified, William Hague has said.

The Shadow Foreign Secretary made the pledge as David Cameron promised to fight next year's European Parliament elections on a referendum pledge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/3097376/Conservatives-could-hold-Lisbon-Treaty-referendum-after-ratification.html
    The one certain way for desperate Cameroons to futher estrange tory sympathetic voters over the EU is to try and spin that a vote for UKIP is a vote for Labour. So expect that to be the master strategy going forward.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MikeK said:

If you have a "good feeling" about that Ukip longshot then your other general elections predictions will have you enjoying multiple orgasms the night of the general election !!

More than likely JackW. By the way your ARSE hasn't mentioned the Greens for ages.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

I wouldn`t write off Caroline Lucas.

Seats which will go red down South are Brighton Kemptown,Hove,Hastings,one of the Medway seats and probably Reading West.

S Mukesh - I wouldn't be so sure of Reading West. The thing with Reading W (and indeed E) is that it is only half made up of Reading Borough wards. The Reading part of Reading W is Labour vs. Con while the W Berkshire part is Con vs Lib Dem. I don't see the W Berks L Dems being as likely to switch as elsewhere. Labour can take it but they will need direct Con to lab switchers too

Seats such as Thurrock, Plymouth Sutton, Waveney and Norwich S are all more likely

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    RodCrosby said:

I thought that before, but with the disintegration of RESPECT I think his ground game and campaign will suffer accordingly. I reckon the odds are about right.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2013
    Thurrock at 16/1 w Paddy Power is a great bet in my humble opinion...

I wouldn't be surprised to see my own constituency of Hornchurch and Upminster be very good for UKIP.. I would expect 2nd place, and Thurrock is more like the "Gooshays" ward of H&U, which has already gone purple

@MikeK I have to politely disagree with you about Brighton Pavillion though... UKIP aren't winning there
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    Time to honour David Coleman with some Colemanballs, the first contemporary:

“Scotland have to understand the pressure they are under and relieve themselves... ”

GAVIN HASTINGS

The most famous Colemanballs of all was not by David Coleman himself but by his BBC commentary partner, Ron Pickering. It came from the 1976 Montreal Olympics and involved the great Cuban runner Juantorena:

'And there goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class'.

RON PICKERING ATTRIB.DAVID COLEMAN

A genuine Colemanballs this time. One to make your read twice:

And the line up for the final of the Women's 400 metres hurdles includes three Russians, two East Germans, a Pole, a Swede and a Frenchman.

DAVID COLEMAN

RIP David Coleman

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Hope so - I've backed Respect there. 9/4 though :o(
  • Options

MikeK said:

This is going to cause you problems Mike. It looks as though UKIP is oppotunistically grasping at an issue.

And whatever happened to UKIP's flat-tax of 2010 and the fusing of national insurance and income tax which would have added a massive extra tax burden on pensioners?

Tuition fees?
  • Options

MikeK said:

The honest truth Mike, for what it's worth is:
    1. I have never read the 2010 UKIP prospectus
    2. I do know that it was ceremonially dumped as UKIP policy almost immediately after the election.
    3. UKIP as a party is totally different from the one in 2010. In fact you might say it's had a major face lift.

I don't think that UKIP are "opportunistically grasping at an issue"; just that the policy has changed.

• Options
    Millsy said:

I was looking at some Tory seats yesterday and there are a few with what I think are quite decent odds, eg South Thanet is 2.25 for a Tory win. Tis a shame that Sandys is standing down, but the Survation poll showed Labour doing poorly there.

When did you see Thanet South at 2.25, price at the moment is 4/5 (1.80)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    "for those of you watching on black-and-white sets, Everton are wearing the blue shirts."
  • Options
    Has Hodgson found Adnan Januzaj's passport yet ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

More than likely JackW. By the way your ARSE hasn't mentioned the Greens for ages.
    Latest ARSE General Election prediction for the Green Party is 0 seats. Ukip on 2.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Millsy said:

Ladbrokes, yesterday
  • Options
    isam said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see my own constituency of Hornchurch and Upminster be very good for UKIP.. I would expect 2nd place, and Thurrock is more like the "Gooshays" ward of H&U, which has already gone purple

@MikeK I have to politely disagree with you about Brighton Pavillion though... UKIP aren't winning there

I never said that UKIP would win B.Pavilion. Only that they would be ahead of the Greens in votes.

Notice to all: Please read what I actually said.

• Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

I never said that UKIP would win B.Pavilion. Only that they would be ahead of the Greens in votes.

Blimey! I would have thought that was the same thing?!
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Pulpstar said:

Don't Mark Senior and Neil have a bet on this ?

I've got a fifty quid bet with Neil on this.

Nothing against Lucas, really (though I find her a bit of a cold fish...). But I reckon she'll find it hard to put *enough* distance between her and the council. If you want to get someone spitting fire in Brighton - even the gentle left-ish types - just mention the Greens.
  • Options
    03/09/2013 Single To Win No @ 6/4
    Polling Specials
    Will Lib Dems poll 14% or over (YouGov) by the end of 2013?

Should win me £15 - Last Yougov is out now ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Recall it took the SNP three decades to go from political joke to political power.

By my reckoning 1967 (Hamilton by-election) til 2007 is four decades, not three.

Quite. But surely power can also be exerted even if one is not the party which has the First Minister, or Prime Minister. The very existence of the 1997 referendum - 30 years on from Hamilton - is as much a testimony to the power 0r threat exerted by the SNP against the Labour hegemony. Just as the calling of an EU referendum will be a compliment, of sorts, to Mr Farage's power.
    Of course you are right (as is seanT slightly later in the thread with his point). One does not need to be in government to exercise power. The very fact that the 1997 referendum was even held was a tremendous victory for the SNP. The very fact that the 2014 referendum will even be held, irrespective of the outcome, is a tremendous victory for the SNP.

The SNP changed the axis upon which Scottish politics turns, and we managed to do that quite early in our history. By the 1970s independence was already the elephant in the room, even if we were still miles away from executive power.
  • Options
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/12/20/christmas-thought-church-england/

Majority of the population now Agnostic/Athiest.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Blimey! I would have thought that was the same thing?!
    Not the same thing at all isam. I expect that Labour will win BP. and the Greens to come far down the list of actual votes. I'm not saying they will lose their deposit, although that could happen.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2013
    Sean T said, down thread:
    "This ascent of the hard rightwing parties is not a fleeting thing, it is a secular shift caused by globalisation and its discontents."

I think he's abosultely right. Nations don't how to cope with the likes of Amazon and Google, any more than UK does with Boots or Vodafone. Individuals have to react to exploitation somehow, or go under, and trade unions have, by and large, been emasculated by "free-market" ideologists in Western governments.
  • Options
    I don't rate Kirby's chances re keeping hold of Kemptown. He's putting a lot of work in to secure the gay vote, and getting involved in a few (very) local issues... but he's also doing little (that's obvious, at least) about broader issues, and is putting his weight behind things like the hospital investment/expansion (which may be a good thing for Brighton - but I get the feeling that it won't be universally popular in Kemptown). Plus his voting record isn't very 'Brighton' - though many voters won't have a clue about his voting record I guess.

UKIP Brighton Pavilion? Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Millsy said:

Pulpstar said:

Millsy said:

Ladbrokes, yesterday

Shadsy gets it right more often than not. Who would have thought a couple of years back that the Conservatives would be odds against in Thanet South ? Astonishing.

Edit: Just noted it is actually quite a swingy seat. Sorry I had some stereotypical South East assumptions hat on there.

I'm not sure who wins it but I think it is a coin toss of UKIP and Labour.
  • Options

"This ascent of the hard rightwing parties is not a fleeting thing, it is a secular shift caused by globalisation and its discontents."

I think he's abosultely right. Nations don't how to cope with the likes of Amazon and Google, any more than UK does with Boots or Vodafone. Individuals have to react to exploitation somehow, or go under, and trade unions have, by and large, been emasculated by "free-market" ideologists in Western governments.

The little guy v the big guy. As I've been saying for months. Maybe years (time flies). That's the future of politics. In a nutshell.

Though before long the little guys will be governments.
  • Options
    The leader of the Green party is a dreadful bore. It's not Lucas, it's some whinny-voiced Australian woman. She alone will halve their prospects. The Greens need a man with a big beard, birds nesting in it, jumble-sale clothes, rides a old bike - someone actually living the green life. Counterpoint to Farage.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

I don't think that UKIP are "opportunistically grasping at an issue"; just that the policy has changed.

Isn't that a description of what you take great delight in calling a u turn when done by the Tories? What's the difference?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Hello Stuart. Yes - I usually try to make my piece around 550 words; this one came out top-side of 900 so I had to cut some bits somewhere.

I've noted before the link between the SNP's success and the likely future income of North Sea oil.

The other side of the equation was that a vacuum suddenly opened up in Scottish politics which the SNP were able to exploit.... snip

Thanks. I wasn't expecting such a long reply. As you are not about I'll reply another time.

Incidentally, I think that the oil thing is a bit of a red herring, but I can understand why many, especially non-Scots, latch on to it as it is an extremely easy concept to comprehend. Much more difficult to grasp is the evolution of Scottish society and culture during the 2nd half of the 20th century. As that is a huge topic, requiring extensive research and familiarity with the many issues, it is usually glossed over by political debaters.
    Most interesting - I look forward etc. But, for now, the oil issue (as with contemporary British politics) has for some reason become a sideshow. The No Campaign argue it is too little too late, then when the companies kept finding new oilfields and investing, argue it won't sell for much, or if it does then they say the Jocks can't be trusted to spend the money sensibly - not very consistent, to put it mildly. The Yes campaign argument is rather subtler - it is that the Scottish economy is more soundly based than the UK one even without oil, which is 'only' a bonus to the underlying resources of energy, water and farmland as well as what's left of industry and the universities.

On a personal note, I like it very much that the SNP's long term policy is close to the sensible thing to do with oil - shift to saving it for petrochemical feedstock and specialist transport fuel, and use renewable instead for bulk energy (I believe renewable is already 40% or so of Scottish energy needs this week, and we haven't even started on tidal beyond R&D: anyone who has sailed through Coirebhreacan or Dorus Mor at the right time of the tidal cycle has no doubt about the power involved).

And as for Labour, I wonder how much of an impact it has on their prospects to the extent that they are seen as having managed to get the only Scottish petrochemical plant very nearly closed for good as collateral damage from their local problems at Falkirk (the pros and cons of the latter being a separate issue which I won't go into here).
    The fact we keep finding more of the stuff is rather a problem for the No campaign, although I have to admire their ingenuity: every time more is found it is presented as a disaster for Scotland. Who'd've thunk it?
  • Options
    Shops pretty quiet today - in fact a couple of folk manning tills said it had been a quiet Christmas. I did the lot in three hours. Everyone buying on line I guess. Soon there will be no need to leave the house at all. What a future. *shudder*
  • Options
    If UKIP finish ahead of the Greens in Brighton I'll eat Ginger's christmas hat.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Carola said:

Nobody has actually suggested that.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

It'd be beautiful if it happened ... (the 'ahead' thing, not the hat eating bit)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who's Ginger?
    BTW do you like felt, straw or wool?

• Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Isn't that a description of what you take great delight in calling a u turn when done by the Tories? What's the difference?

The difference is that UKIP proposed to upgrade three existing lines, and I don't think they ever were in favour of HS2... so it wasn't a U turn
  • Options
    ^
    |
    |
    Ging
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Who's Ginger?
    BTW do you like felt, straw or wool?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Carola said:

The little guy v the big guy. As I've been saying for months. Maybe years (time flies). That's the future of politics. In a nutshell.

Government's don't KNOW how to cope …… sorry.
    That said, Carola's right too, to some extent. However, to deal with the very big companies we'll need concerted international action, or something that the Google's and Amazon's need.

That, IMHO, is why UKIP is wrong. The multinationals will tell an "out-of-EU" Britain what to do, not the other way round. The EU, reformed, is big enough to stand up to them.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Carola said:

No I know, my bad. What I should have said was 'UKIP ahead of the Greens in Brighton Pavilion? Lol.'
  • Options
    UKIP didn't get a thousand votes last time in Brighton Pavillion. Now, apparently, they're going to get more votes than the party that actually won the seat. The UKIP brigade are losing their grip on reality.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

FPT - Hello Sean, and thanks for the words of commendation.

Ref you comment "2020 could, therefore, be an even better opportunity for a battle-hardened political party of the populist right [if Labour win the next election], ... [as UKIP] will have had another half a decade to grow its membership and refine its policies."

That's true, and indeed, I mentioned that deliberately targeting the Conservatives was a policy logically consistent with a medium-term game aimed at increasing opposition to the EU. However, it also relies on the Conservatives not stealing UKIP's thunder, either on the Europe question (which as Mike points out from time to time, is not of itself of great salience, though associated issues may be), or as a general opposition to the government.

One reason that UKIP is doing so well is that Miliband is doing so badly. When Blair was riding high in the mid-90s, Others and the Lib Dems were not; his Labour Party simply swept up all the floating opposition votes. A Conservative Party in opposition under Boris, for example, may do something similar, even though Boris is instinctively pro-membership. It all really depends on how big an issue the EU is.

However, at the moment, UKIP benefits from:
    - the government having to deal with the legacy of the worst recession in decades
    - a naturally centrist Tory leader
    - an uninspiring leader of the opposition
    - no third party opposition
    - an expansion of immigration from EU countries about to take place
    - the apparent failure of the biggest and most ambitious EU policy.

Single issues may move more in UKIP's direction in the future but I'd be surprised if so many are so favourable again.

All true, however I think you are viewing this too parochially. Populist rightwing parties are on the rise across the west, and have been for some time - from Holland to Denmark, France to Finland (and Australia now has a government which questions global warming).

This ascent of the hard rightwing parties is not a fleeting thing, it is a secular shift caused by globalisation and its discontents. I don't see it stopping any time soon, nor do I see why Britain should be immune.

It is arguable that Britain is the perfect place for a populist rightwing party to prosper, as our FPTP system. and our liberal TV media, ensure that the main parties cluster around a soft left or centrist position, on many issues, leaving huge space to be exploited by the likes of UKIP.

Globalisation is not going away, therefore, I think, neither are UKIP.

Exactly. The political class are so totally insulated from the consequences of their actions - especially schools - that they don't get it.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2013

Carola said:

That said, Carola's right too, to some extent. However, to deal with the very big companies we'll need concerted international action, or something that the Google's and Amazon's need.

That, IMHO, is why UKIP is wrong. The multinationals will tell an "out-of-EU" Britain what to do, not the other way round. The EU, reformed, is big enough to stand up to them.
    ?? Multinationals like the EU. They can afford to have full time lobbyists, and lawyers on staff.

• Options

Carola said:

You don't need concerted action over shops. Shops are not hitech. If they leave they leave and new ones will fill the space.
  • Options
    Carola said:

GeoffM said:

Carola said:

No I know, my bad. What I should have said was 'UKIP ahead of the Greens in Brighton Pavilion? Lol.'
    I'd certainly LOL if it happened. I'd love to see the Green's destroyed in politics.

They'd have to retreat to their only other permanent pulpit - the BBC and a seat every other week on QT.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

MikeK said:

UKIP's 2010 policies are in another geological era.

UKIP is a one policy party. Keep the foreigners out !
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013
    Carnyx said:

New site representing what might loosely be called conservatives for independence. Of course they may all be undercover SNPers...

http://www.wealthynation.org/

Ha! Peter de Vink, one of their leading lights, is a very long-standing Scottish Conservative activist who parted brass rags with them over indy and devolution (I forget precisely which). He's an independent (non sensu SNP) councillor on Midlothian Council, which has a quite separate SNP group. If he's a SNP activist then Alex Salmond and his pals are even longer-term strategic thinkers than I have for some time suspected.
    Another of their backers is the libertarian David Farrer:

http://www.wealthynation.org/member-profiles/

David is a very important person in my personal political thinking and development.If it wasn't for him I might not be here now. I first started reading blogs in 2004 when I was off work being treated for cancer. The only readable Scottish politics blog back then was his Freedom and Whisky:

http://freedomandwhisky.blogspot.se/

I became such a regular that eventually I started my own blog, then found PB , UKPR and many others.

The establishment and success of the many well-read Scottish politics blogs is down to David, and to a lesser extent me, and other early pioneers. I remember that every time I read Wings or Newsnet! ;)
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

It'd be beautiful if it happened ... (the 'ahead' thing, not the hat eating bit)

What do you reckon to the SA/India odds at the moment. South Africa must have an all time batting line up to be 9.0 to win the match needing 320 runs on the last day with 8 wickets.
  • Options
    There have been some bizarre predictions on this site in the past, but the one about UKIP overtaking the Greens in Brighton Pavilion is an absolute humdinger. That rabid opposition to gay marriage must have some magical pulling power.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

UKIP didn't get a thousand votes last time in Brighton Pavillion. Now, apparently, they're going to get more votes than the party that actually won the seat. The UKIP brigade are losing their grip on reality.

Indeed. If MikeK is in a wagering mood I'll give him 2/1 on a UKIP/Green match bet in Brighton Pavilion. Happy to negotiate amount if you are interested. Bet obviously also available to anyone else, though I fear that isn't likely.
  • Options
    @Stark_Dawning I'm more optimistic than most for UKIP but that one just isn't happening.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Shops pretty quiet today - in fact a couple of folk manning tills said it had been a quiet Christmas. I did the lot in three hours. Everyone buying on line I guess. Soon there will be no need to leave the house at all. What a future. *shudder*

Even with online, it looks like Christmas tills will be ringing a bit less than last year !
  • Options
    Ukip overtaking Greens in Brighton has two components - Ukip gaining votes or Greens losing them. People seem to be assuming any anti-Green backlash in Brighton will be small.
  • Options
    @Quincel I think that might be classified as theft.
  • Options
    isam said:

The difference is that UKIP proposed to upgrade three existing lines, and I don't think they ever were in favour of HS2... so it wasn't a U turn

Sadly, I can't find a copy of the 2010 UKIP manifesto, but I have what might be an accurate copy of the relevant parts at (2). From the BBC's summary: (1)

"Support use of electric cars, ensure "comprehensive electrification" of rail lines and introduce three high-speed lines linking London to the Midlands, northern England and Birmingham"

Which could back you up that it might be an 'upgrade' (it just says 'introduce'). But other sources (1) seem to suggest that these lines were to be three 'new' 200 MPH lines.

Even if they are not to be new, those sorts of speeds cannot be done on existing lines - for one thing curvatures will not allow it.

As for capacity, expanding (e.g. quadrupling) existing tracks will cause massive chaos as lines often pass through built-up areas. HS2 passes through large areas of countryside. Building 200 MPH lines alongside 100 MPH lines has severe problems, although they somewhat managed it on HS1 using both the motorway and rail corridors. But the WCML is not Kent.

So whilst it would depend on exact wording on the manifesto, I'm deeply sceptical. It looks like it was a U-turn of prodigious proportions by UKIP.

I found link (2) to be helpful - note some of it makes sense. But parts (circling the circle line) are stupid - the change was done for a reason.

As a matter of interest, what are their current transport policies, and how do they effect rail?

(1): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8617187.stm
    (2): http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80483
  • Options

isam said:

Sadly, I can't find a copy of the 2010 UKIP manifesto, but I have what might be an accurate copy of the relevant parts at (2). From the BBC's summary: (1)

"Support use of electric cars, ensure "comprehensive electrification" of rail lines and introduce three high-speed lines linking London to the Midlands, northern England and Birmingham"

Which could back you up that it might be an 'upgrade' (it just says 'introduce'). But other sources (1) seem to suggest that these lines were to be three 'new' 200 MPH lines.

Even if they are not to be new, those sorts of speeds cannot be done on existing lines - for one thing curvatures will not allow it.

As for capacity, expanding (e.g. quadrupling) existing tracks will cause massive chaos as lines often pass through built-up areas. HS2 passes through large areas of countryside. Building 200 MPH lines alongside 100 MPH lines has severe problems, although they somewhat managed it on HS1 using both the motorway and rail corridors. But the WCML is not Kent.

So whilst it would depend on exact wording on the manifesto, I'm deeply sceptical. It looks like it was a U-turn of prodigious proportions by UKIP.

I found link (2) to be helpful - note some of it makes sense. But parts (circling the circle line) are stupid - the change was done for a reason.

As a matter of interest, what are their current transport policies, and how do they effect rail?

This country has a political class which is incapable of guaranteeing a secure electricity supply for industry thus guaranteeing economic suicide.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

isam said:

Mate.. I am not a politician and I don't know the manifesto inside out. It would be easier for you to look up the details you want to know than ask me, I look them up then me tell you!

If UKIP were in favour of the London to Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created in 2010, and they are opposed to it now, then that would be a U-turn.

If they were in favour of other routes being upgraded, or even created, but are opposed to the London-Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created that is not a U-turn.

Lets say a party was in favour of upgrading Gatwick & Stansted, and creating a new airport on Boris Island, then opposed the building of a new airport in the Midlands.. would that be a U-turn?

As its Christmas, I found this for you x

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2013/04/when-ukip-called-for-three-new-high-speed-rail-lines/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you reckon to the SA/India odds at the moment. South Africa must have an all time batting line up to be 9.0 to win the match needing 320 runs on the last day with 8 wickets.
    Can't see it happening, but I'm more a performance than a results gambler. My last financial interest in that game is Petersen getting a century.

I've taken Craig Keiswetter for top home scorer in Brisbane Heat v Perth Scorchers tomorrow morning but mainly as an incentive to get out of bed to watch it. Apart from that I'm light until the next Ashes match.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Brighton Pavilion seems to be UKIP cloud cuckoo land . I expect Labour to win Pavilion but the Greens will still come a reasonably close second . The seat remains demographically the best for the Greens in the UK . FWIW I expect Labour to make a clean sweep of the 3 Brighton and Hove seats in 2015 .
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

Carola said:

Even with online, it looks like Christmas tills will be ringing a bit less than last year !
    Surby

We tend to go through this retail panic each year, with stories of high street shops starting sales early and slashing prices in the run-up to Christmas. It is all part of a "get out and catch the bargains" message designed to sustain the Christmas rush.

All indications are that Christmas retail sales will grow steadily but not spectacularly. No record growth rates but equally no declines.

St George is not the kind of Chancellor to announce he has ended "boom and bust". He is far too realistic and modest. Abolishing bust is more than sufficient.
  • Options

Brighton Pavilion seems to be UKIP cloud cuckoo land . I expect Labour to win Pavilion but the Greens will still come a reasonably close second . The seat remains demographically the best for the Greens in the UK . FWIW I expect Labour to make a clean sweep of the 3 Brighton and Hove seats in 2015 .

I think Lucas will still win albeit narrowly. The other two will probably go to Labour. Incredible. So many SE seats have high UKIP scores. It is like Florida in the South.
  • Options
    Methinks that the 2010 UKIP manifesto has gone the way of all Dave's pre GE2010 speeches which have all been wiped by CCHQ
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It is like Florida in the South.

What does this mean?

Florida *is* in the South. Relatively.

• Options
    Galloway reminds me of Lyle Lanley in that episode of The Simpsons with the Monorail. Very effective at selling his product (him) to a new town, who then quickly discover they bought a crock.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

What does this mean?

It is a tribute to David Coleman.

"Stronsay is an island surrounded by sea"
  • Options

Brighton is likely to buck the coastal trend for guardianista colony reasons but if the Greens are as unpopular as has been mentioned on here then i'd have thought their vote might drop dramatically?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MrJones said:

Brighton is likely to buck the coastal trend for guardianista colony reasons but if the Greens are as unpopular as has been mentioned on here then i'd have thought their vote might drop dramatically?
    The Green vote certainly fell in the by election earlier this year but it could not be described as a dramatic fall or landslide defeat . They still have a substantial support base in Brighton but more especially in most Pavilion wards .
  • Options

Methinks that the 2010 UKIP manifesto has gone the way of all Dave's pre GE2010 speeches which have all been wiped by CCHQ

That's bollocks. Just using the search facility on conservatives.com gave me the 2008 conference speech that I was looking for last week for some other research.

http://www.conservatives.com/Video/Webcameron.aspx?id=f17e54e7-2b0b-4cc3-9ec7-d441aa1dea4b
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

What does this mean?

Although I haven't read Private Eye for some time (no local newsagents stock it) I did always enjoy the Colemanballs tribute section in it.

• Options
    surbiton said:

I think Lucas will still win albeit narrowly. The other two will probably go to Labour. Incredible. So many SE seats have high UKIP scores. It is like Florida in the South.
    Demographically Brighton and Hove is nothing like the retirement towns of the South East coast such as Bognor , Littlehampton or Worthing . Parts of Worthing is also gradually trending towards a more student population rather than a retirement dominated one .
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

AveryLP said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

What does this mean?

Although I haven't read Private Eye for some time (no local newsagents stock it) I did always enjoy the Colemanballs tribute section in it.

One more for the kippers:

"There's a mistake on the scoreboard: they're only showing his Christian names, Ismail Ibrahim."
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Not true.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Carola said:

Plus his voting record isn't very 'Brighton' - though many voters won't have a clue about his voting record I guess.

Earlier this year I went to see my MP.

You should have seen her face when I mentioned how she voted against Catholics being able to marry the heir to the throne!

The internet details how every MP has voted, if anyone is bothered to do so. Those that are will almost certainly spread the word amongst their friends.

So much easier than getting, paying and looking up Hansard.
  • Options
    I LOVE IT! On a thread devoted to swings towards Labour, UKIP- pros and cons, has captured the debate.

Who'd have thought it a year ago. How times change.
  • Options
    LOOK AT IT! It's really only a small place yet some on PB want to vote Lab/Lib/Con. Somethings not right.

RT @astVintageSpace: The view from #Apollo8 not long after CSM/S-IVB separation. One of the first full pics of Earth! pic.twitter.com/4FpohohC36

— Emily Lakdawalla (@elakdawalla) December 21, 2013
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    RT @dlknowles: This is brilliant - how newspapers voted 1950-2010: pic.twitter.com/GhSlDnA706 (via @JohnRentoul)
  • Options
    Express will go UKIP for sure next election.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Good evening Avery.

Good to see you so full of Christmas cheer this evening, I wonder if RN is after the demolition job he received last night ;-)

Speaking of which I must take issue with your comment from then:

"It is not enough for a few individuals reading ONS statistics correctly to change an electorate's view on future developments and current malaise. The prophets of doom must have an audience willing to receive their message. And this especially applies to politicians who have to sell their message in a market for votes. Being believed is far more important than being right."

People WERE willing to listen to the prophets of doom back in 2008 as the economic malaise was widely felt.

Rising unemployment and prices** and growing inequality etc etc.

In fact it was this economic malaise which was behind the huge Conservative poll leads and election victories of mid 2008.

Yet Cameron and Osborne failed to see let alone understand this. Because both the economic malaise and the Conservative advances were happening among the wwc in the midlands and North. People whom the Cameroons had no interest in and who had been ignored in favour of the 'Cameron Project' of targeting middle class leftists. And so we had the Cameroons complacently assuming that things were going their way politically and they didn't bother THINKING about what was happening. A few weeks later they were exposed as rabbits stuck in the headlights as economic reality was forced upon them.

I don't think you realise how close the Conservatives came to a genuine and permanent breakthrough in 2008, but their leadership didn't have the vision or courage to grasp it. And so the longterm gainers will be UKIP.

** which were increasing at double the rate they are now although Labour had no interest in the cost of living back then.

• Options
    MrJones said:

This country has a political class which is incapable of guaranteeing a secure electricity supply for industry thus guaranteeing economic suicide.

I've been banging on about energy security for as long as I've been on PB.

The latest Private Eye has some figures about 2013:
    *) 6GW of generative capacity closed (9% of total)
    *) Newly completed replacement capacity: less than 4GW
    *) Safety margin of supply over peak: 6% and falling (20% is comfortable)

It's well worth a read.

The coalition's doing better than Labour, and Miliband's Madness is not helping, but energy is one area that the coalition's disappointed me. But I'm not sure that we'd have the same answers - I'm cautiously favourable towards some green initiatives, for instance.

But we are sailing to close to the wind.
  • Options
    isam said:

Mate.. I am not a politician and I don't know the manifesto inside out. It would be easier for you to look up the details you want to know than ask me, I look them up then me tell you!

If UKIP were in favour of the London to Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created in 2010, and they are opposed to it now, then that would be a U-turn.

If they were in favour of other routes being upgraded, or even created, but are opposed to the London-Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created that is not a U-turn.

Lets say a party was in favour of upgrading Gatwick & Stansted, and creating a new airport on Boris Island, then opposed the building of a new airport in the Midlands.. would that be a U-turn?

As its Christmas, I found this for you x

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2013/04/when-ukip-called-for-three-new-high-speed-rail-lines/

"If UKIP were in favour of the London to Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created in 2010, and they are opposed to it now, then that would be a U-turn."

Since I cannot find the manifesto, I cannot tell for sure. But if link (2) I gave earlier is correct, then that was indeed what they said:

"invest in 3 new 200 mph plus high-speed rail lines: London-Newcastle (with other sections e.g. Edinburgh-Glasgow, and to West Coast Main Line), London-Bristol (for Wales)- Exeter, and fast link Birmingham to Great Western Main Line. Other rail sections could become high speed in part"

London to Birmingham would be done via the new high-speed London-Bristol line. That could almost be seen as an HS2-style route, which goes via Old Oak Common ...

From your linked article:
    " A spokesman says that Ukip is in favour of “high-speed rail”, just not HS2. Under its thinking, you could have new routes alongside existing ones, with much less pain for local residents."

My God. Was the spokesman that clueless? Where would the route 'alongside' be when it goes through towns such as Leamington, Warwick, Hemel and others, where houses and businesses are directly adjacent to the tracks?

Note the impossibility of running high-speed lines on Victorian track alignments - at 120 MPH the minimum track curve is (from memory) a little over 1,500 metres. At 250 MPH it is over 7,000 metres. HS2 has specified 8,000 metres (*) Look at a map of (say) the WCML and try altering the curves to the order of 5,000 metre radius and see how many towns you obliterate.

The objections to quadrupling (especially with high speed) existing lines outside of existing railway boundary footprints would be an order of magnitude over that of HS2.

(*) Hopes to God I've got that right.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    GeoffM said:

AveryLP said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

What does this mean?

The current issue of Private Eye has Commentatorballs . I prefer Psueds Corner </I/ - it use to feature predominantly lefty journals but the disease has spread to most publications.
    Although PE is sometimes OTT it often has interesting insights - " Ed Miliband's energy price freeze policy has had the predicted effect of scaring off investors: the National Grid has announced a reduction in the amount of new grid connections being sought by would-be new power plant developers."

• Options

isam said:
    "If UKIP were in favour of the London to Birmingham High Speed Rail route being created in 2010, and they are opposed to it now, then that would be a U-turn."

Since I cannot find the manifesto, I cannot tell for sure. But if link (2) I gave earlier is correct, then that was indeed what they said:

"invest in 3 new 200 mph plus high-speed rail lines: London-Newcastle (with other sections e.g. Edinburgh-Glasgow, and to West Coast Main Line), London-Bristol (for Wales)- Exeter, and fast link Birmingham to Great Western Main Line. Other rail sections could become high speed in part"

London to Birmingham would be done via the new high-speed London-Bristol line. That could almost be seen as an HS2-style route, which goes via Old Oak Common ...

" A spokesman says that Ukip is in favour of “high-speed rail”, just not HS2. Under its thinking, you could have new routes alongside existing ones, with much less pain for local residents."

My God. Was the spokesman that clueless? Where would the route 'alongside' be when it goes through towns such as Leamington, Warwick, Hemel and others, where houses and businesses are directly adjacent to the tracks?

Note the impossibility of running high-speed lines on Victorian track alignments - at 120 MPH the minimum track curve is (from memory) a little over 1,500 metres. At 250 MPH it is over 7,000 metres. HS2 has specified 8,000 metres (*) Look at a map of (say) the WCML and try altering the curves to the order of 5,000 metre radius and see how many towns you obliterate.

The objections to quadrupling (especially with high speed) existing lines outside of existing railway boundary footprints would be an order of magnitude over that of HS2.

To be honest, you are obviously very interested the subject of train tracks and their development , but I have no interest at all. You might as well be writing in Chinese.

Maybe UKIP had a not very well thought out policy on Railway tracks in 2010 which they are no longer pursuing. Personally, I couldn't care less. I didn't vote UKIP in 2010, & am not bothered about HS2 that much either way

But I don't think they were ever in favour of HS2 as it stands, so its not a U Turn

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

An engineer from the HS1 project also recommended a different route.

http://www.cityam.com/article/it-crazy-high-speed-rail-will-fail-integrate-our-airports

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/9469344/HS2-route-should-be-moved-to-M40-corridor-says-high-speed-rail-expert.html
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227

Carola said:

This is simply wrong.

Any future ukip (or indeed any other party) will simply say that parliament is once again soverign and that the new tax law is that companies cant move profit to another country because of new regulations.

Amazon or Google or whatever will either comply fully or stop trading in the UK.

If they stop trading in the UK other companies will step up (provided the new govt hasn't outlawed the free market).

To think otherwise is simply to reject reality as if you still believe in father christmas.

To quote Stalin "How many divisions has the pope got?"

• Options
    edited December 2013

AveryLP said:

Good evening Avery.

Good to see you so full of Christmas cheer ..
    ar

I had the 2001-05 government more in mind when making the comment you quoted on the prophets of doom, even though it still applied to some extent in 2008. Fiscal rectitude or 'living within one's means' was not an easy preach when the son of the manse was boasting he had abolished boom and bust and the voters were enjoying the false fruits of the debt-fertilised money tree.

You are right that attitudes were beginning to change in 2008 and ears were beginning to open to parties which were prepared to challenge the previous decade's mantra of borrow and bust. Still Cameron and Osborne had an election to win after their party had been comprehensively defeated in three general elections. Taking too extreme a line on the austerity needed to repair the UK economy would, at the time, have been a vote loser rather than winner.

It is better to judge Cameron and Osborne on what they have achieved so far in office. Almost all macro-economic metrics have improved since 2010 and even your favoured bug-bear, the trade deficit, has remained stable over a period when oil and gas production has been falling at a rate of 15% per year.

Inflation is currently only 0.1% above the BoE target and short to medium term inflationary pressures remain subdued.

The deficit, however it is measured, has been reduced by at least a third and real borrowing by a far more substantial percentage. If you don't believe me, just consult the key findings of the latest Public Finances Bulletin (The central government net cash requirement for the year to date 2013/14 was £41.4 billion, £25.7 billion lower than the same period in 2012/13.

The OBR has produced reasonably reliable forecasts for the cycilically adjusted current balance (the official deficit target) to be eliminated in the middle of the next parliamentary term with public sector borrowing accounts in surplus thereafter. And if all this sounds easy on paper note Chote's statement in his latest EFO:

The 11.1 per cent of GDP reduction in underlying PSNB forecast between 2009-10 and 2018-19 would represent one of the largest deficit reductions among advanced economies in the post-war period.

Current GDP growth is the highest of all G7 nations and all sectors of the economy are contributing (Services, Production, Manufacturing and Agriculture). We are now only 2% behind the pre-crisis peak in GDP and this is almost to be passed during 2014.

Employment, at over 30 million, is at its all time record and continuing to grow. Unemployment has fallen by over 0.5% this year alone.

The banks have been stabilised, with healthier balance sheets than their European counterparts and sales of their shares back to the private sector have begun in earnest.

[to be continued ...]

• Options
    edited December 2013
    @another_richard

[...continued]

Borrowing costs remain low for UK gilts and in the internal economy and the BoE has not had to expand QE for over a year. Sterling has risen against almost all the currencies of its trading partners.

This surely is a list of presents that even the grumpiest Lincolnshire poacher would be pleased to find in his stocking on Christmas Day.

Of course you haven't got all the presents you asked Santa for. Manufacturing, although growing this year, is still some 5% below pre-crisis levels and business lending and investment has not recovered in line with the rest of the economy. The West and East Midlands, the latter particularly, have been hardest hit, But the government and BoE do recognise this problem and priorities are changing to concentrate on this area from 2014 onward.

There is therefore a very good chance that if you are a good boy all year, and don't rage against St George and Guv'nor Carney, that your unfulfilled list will be satisfied by Santa in Christmases to come.

So of course I am full of seasonal good cheer. And so should you be. A Merry Christmas to you, ar, and all on PB.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013

Good to see you so full of Christmas cheer this evening, I wonder if RN is after the demolition job he received last night ;-)

Eh? I'd gone to bed, but you seemed to have completely lost the plot. You even managed to confuse the dates of the banking crisis - you seemed to think Northern Rock was at the heart of the crisis. It was of course the failure of Lehman's, not that of a two-penny ha'penny boring mortgage bank which no-one outside the UK would have heard of, and which was small even by UK standards, which marked the world banking crisis and spillover to the world economy. In any case I only chose a speech from July 2008 because you claimed, completely wrongly, that at that time Osborne was saying everything was OK with the UK economy. He wasn't, as the speech I cited proved.
This discussion has been closed.