Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May tops Boris for the first time in CONHome survey

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May tops Boris for the first time in CONHome survey as preferred next party leader

This could mean something or it could mean nothing but the December CONHome survey of party members sees a change at the top as preferred next party leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2013
    1. There is no vacancy
    2. CONHome is not representative
    3. These surveys are always about name recognition anyway
    4. Tories, as a whole, don't give a flying fig about the schools people went to. That seems entirely an obsession of the left.

Next thread, please.
  • Options
    But the voters do care about leaders' backgrounds and this is where the Tories are most vulnerable. If you don't see that then I suggest you are not reading the runes correctly.

• Options
    Best prices - Next Tory leader

Boris Johnson 5/1 (various)
    Theresa May 6/1 (Betfair)
    Michael Gove 9/1
    William Hague 14/1
    Phillip Hammond 17/1
    George Osborne 16/1
    David Davish 20/1
    Jesse Norman 25/1
    Nick Boles 33/1
    Liam Fox 33/1
    Sam Gyimah 33/1
    Jeremy Hunt 33/1
    Sajid Javid 33/1
    Grant Shapps 33/1
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Charles said:

1. There is no vacancy
    3. These surveys are always about name recognition anyway
    4. Tories, as a whole, don't give a flying fig about the schools people went to. That seems entirely an obsession of the left.

Next thread, please.

I mostly agree but please no new thread - we don't need more nats boring on about Scotland.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Theresa May is a far too sensible choice to be actually chosen. She would be a formidable LotO, would take the party in the right direction and has shown in office she can be effective and demand respect.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

But the voters do care about leaders' backgrounds and this is where the Tories are most vulnerable. If you don't see that then I suggest you are not reading the runes correctly.

Is this why Blair lost all those elections? Oh....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2013
    Charles said:

That doesn't seem to be true - at the very least, there seems to be a significant faction within the Conservative Party that's bothered about this.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/05/david-davis-and-the-tories-class-war/

What's damaging isn't so much the school they went to in itself, it's the perception that they've formed a clique of people who went to the same school, and they're locking other people out. I don't know whether this is really justified or not - there will be plenty of people in the inner circle who don't fit the stereotype - but since the perception exists there has to be some political benefit to looking like a change from it.
  • Options
    If that's the last YouGov poll of the year, we've had no crossover at any point and the Lib Dems have not reached 14% all year. I expect that Paddy Power will make us wait for our money until after 1 January on general principles.
  • Options

I disagree. And Boris is the perfect counter-example.

Voters want someone who is comfortable in their own skin, competent and with an ability to empathise. If someone has that then they will engage just fine with the voters. Of course "out of touch OE" is an easy attack, but as we saw in Crewe (?) it doesn't, on it's own, have much of an impact, although it can be used as a tool to magnify the impact of other weaknesses.

(I actually think the London-centric nature of the current Tory leadership is a greater weakness, both politically and in terms of their ability to effectively lead to country)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Clegg seems intent on totally wiping out his Party...what a dork.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I still don't think we should rule out a last-minute switcharoo if Cameron gets hammered in the Euros and local elections, or just fails to improve on where he is now. This might seem like a weird thing to do given that the Labour lead isn't too big and seems to be shrinking while the economy is growing, so there's still some cause for Tories to have hope. But process is designed such that it doesn't matter what the median Tory MP thinks. It matters what the 45 most bonkers or easily-panicked Tory MPs think. Once they pull the trigger on a contest - and some will already have sent in their letters - it's hard to see Cameron carrying on.
  • Options

Charles said:

That doesn't seem to be true - at the very least, there seems to be a significant faction within the Conservative Party that's bothered about this.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/05/david-davis-and-the-tories-class-war/

What's damaging isn't so much the school they went to in itself, it's the perception that they've formed a clique of people who went to the same school, and they're locking other people out. I don't know whether this is really justified or not - there will be plenty of people in the inner circle who don't fit the stereotype - but since the perception exists there has to be some political benefit to looking like a change from it.
    I agree about the perception issue. But that is not about the school per se.

The David Davis crap is just disgruntled people who lost of leadership election and can't get over it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Voters want someone who is comfortable in their own skin, competent and with an ability to empathise. )
    So that's Boris out on at least two counts. What have you got against Teresa May? She is the top performer of the cabinet, yet Tories seem not to like her. Odd.
  • Options
    felix said:

All the electorally successful LAB leaders with the exception of Wilson were public school educated.

The last time a non-state school CON leader led his party to an overall majority was Macmillan in 1959

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I agree about the perception issue. But that is not about the school per se.

The David Davis crap is just disgruntled people who lost of leadership election and can't get over it.
    David Davis would have been a disastrous LOTO, worse than IDS. I quite like the guy, but he just isn't a leader.

I've been saying for years that Boris will never (aside from some disaster) be Conservative leader; that ship has sailed. Would he be a good leader? With the right people under him, yes. Would he be a good PM? I don't know.

As for Theresa May: it's sad to say, but she's too old. If there is a change of leader, then the Conservatives will be looking for someone to take them into the 2020 GE. At that time May will be 64, and will sadly be too old to be electable. I doubt the Conservatives will go for a stop-gap. She would be a competent leader.

We need to look elsewhere, amongst the younger crowd. Rory Stewart has always impressed me, but he will probably be too inexperienced in 2015 to be the next leader. We need to be looking at the 2001 or 2005 intakes who have had junior positions in this government.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Theresa May would be a good stop-gap candidate if Cameron had to go.But she won`t win a majority on her own.She`s even more boring than Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Voters want someone who is comfortable in their own skin, competent and with an ability to empathise. )
    So that's Boris out on at least two counts. What have you got against Teresa May? She is the top performer of the cabinet, yet Tories seem not to like her. Odd.
    Which two counts? He's comfortable in his own skin, highly intelligent and competent - providing he focuses on the task in hand. I'd accept he may have an issue with empathising, but voters don't seem too fussed by that. (For the record, I think he would be a dreadful PM).

I don't have anything particularly against May (and what makes you think I do?). She has done a fairly good job in a difficult post, seems a solid performer. I wonder if she has the 'X' factor that helps in a PM, but equally it may be that grinding solidity is what voters are looking for.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

You may want to note it is 'Theresa May', not 'Teresa May'. Googling the latter leads to an (ahem) interesting website...

Although the thought of Theresa May appearing in 'Smack My B8tch Up' is amusing. ;-)

(Rewatching the uncensored video, I wonder if it's actually a biopic of SeanT's life...)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

felix said:

All the electorally successful LAB leaders with the exception of Wilson were public school educated.

The last time a non-state school CON leader led his party to an overall majority was Macmillan in 1959

Fishing from a small pool though Mike.

Since WWII only Attlee, Wilson and Blair have won a majority for Labour.

• Options

As for Theresa May: it's sad to say, but she's too old. If there is a change of leader, then the Conservatives will be looking for someone to take them into the 2020 GE. At that time May will be 64, and will sadly be too old to be electable. I doubt the Conservatives will go for a stop-gap. She would be a competent leader.

Young cardinals, old popes, etc etc. As you say it's not really obvious who would come through from the next generation.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    I would be far more interested in looking further down the list. Sajid Javid is a rising star under George Osborne's wing. If the Conservatives are struggling because of a problem with BME voters and working class, what better than a BME leader from a working class background. Loaded up for all I can at 33-1.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

You may want to note it is 'Theresa May', not 'Teresa May'. Googling the latter leads to an (ahem) interesting website...

Although the thought of Theresa May appearing in 'Smack My B8tch Up' is amusing. ;-)

(Rewatching the uncensored video, I wonder if it's actually a biopic of SeanT's life...)
    Wonder how many hits that'll generate in the next half hour or so!
  • Options

felix said:

I think the "non-state school" classification is misleading here.

IIRC (haven't checked, may be Major wasn't?), all the state school Tory leaders were grammar school educated.

In our system as it stands, the vast majority of PMs have a top-flight university education. To achieve this they need a great secondary school education. However, the secondary modern experience/elimination of assisted places has resulted in a dumbing down of educational standards for the academically brightest among those unable to afford private education. Given the overwhelming importance of education in an information-centric society, this makes it harder and harder for people from average backgrounds to make it to the very top.

Fix education, allow and encourage the best to achieve their potential, and hopefully we will see this trend begin to reverse. (As an aside there is a very interesting theory - I think it is David Canadine who originally came up with it - that it was social mobility and the willingness of the British ruling classes to co-opt talented members of the population that reduced the impetus for revolution)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Charles said:

I don't have anything particularly against May (and what makes you think I do?).

The fact you couldn't even discuss her as a potential leader and called for a new thread in post 1.

On Boris...

The idea that Boris is remotely empathetic is a joke. I suspect The man has no clue or the slightest care how I (or many others) live my life. The idea that he is competent is hardly universally accepted. Surprised you think he would be a dreadful leader, but fear you're right.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

I don't have anything particularly against May (and what makes you think I do?).

The fact you couldn't even discuss her as a potential leader and called for a new thread in post 1.

On Boris...

The idea that Boris is remotely empathetic is a joke. I suspect The man has no clue or the slightest care how I (or many others) live my life. The idea that he is competent is hardly universally accepted. Surprised you think he would be a dreadful leader, but fear you're right.
    Nah, it's just a rather dull and hypothetical thread. Of the people on the chart she is probably the best, although none of them particularly inspire. Some of the media was saying Osborne is making a comeback, but it doesn't seem to have fed through to his ratings above & I think he is too tied to Cameron.

I do quite like Sajid Javid though, but it may be that his investment banker background comes back to haunt him
  • Options
    woody662 said:

I would be far more interested in looking further down the list. Sajid Javid is a rising star under George Osborne's wing. If the Conservatives are struggling because of a problem with BME voters and working class, what better than a BME leader from a working class background. Loaded up for all I can at 33-1.

Woody, you old rogue !!

Excellent to see you posting. Hope you are hail and hearty.

• Options
    What about Jesse Norman?Would the Conservatives go for a `thinker` in contrast to the `Act before you think` leader they have now?
  • Options

Clegg seems intent on totally wiping out his Party...what a dork.

I disagree. Sovereign Scots may well award the man a medal for services to our country.

By effectively crippling the SLDs for a generation he has at the very least opened the door to independence. Remember, no Lib-Con coalition in 2010 would have meant no overall SNP majority in 2011, and therefore no independence referendum.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop I like Rory Stewart too but he is an Etonian.

@Charles John Major wet to a state school.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Charles said:

And Cammie's chumocracy is?

LOL

No wonder kippers are feeling chipper with that kind of Cameroon attitude to the tory base still prevalent.

Charles said:

The lefty John Major who no doubt its feeling bitter because he lost a leadership election and couldn't win a majority like Cammie did.
    Sir John Major Slams Affluent Dominance Of UK

Sir John Major brands the power held by the privately educated and affluent "shocking" in comments that have stung David Cameron.

The Prime Minister has responded to Sir John Major's comments on the "truly shocking" collapse of social mobility by saying: "What counts is not where you come from but where you are going."

In a speech to Tory party members, Sir John sharply criticised the dominance of the upper echelons of power in Britain by the privately educated and affluent middle class.

Sir John, who left grammar school at 16 with three O-levels, called on the Eton-educated Prime Minister to do more to boost social mobility.

The words were judged to be particularly stinging to David Cameron as he has faced claims he has surrounded himself with people from a similarly privileged family and educational background.

More than half of the Cabinet are said to have been privately educated.

http://news.sky.com/story/1166744/sir-john-major-slams-affluent-dominance-of-uk
    *chortle*

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    I can see Theresa May as leader although she has never struck me as particularly quick witted or light on her feet. Given a solidly prepared message and a bit of time she does as well as anyone in the cabinet.

But I am surprised that Osborne has not improved his standing somewhat. He is very closely tied to Cameron and if Cameron got hammered in 2015 he would clearly go as well. But if Cameron were to either win outright or even keep largest party I think Osborne would get a huge amount of the credit and would be very well placed. If Cameron were going at a time of his own choosing in the next Parliament Osborne would probably be favourite.

This has been an extremely stable government with very few and quite modest reshuffles. This means there has been very little opportunity for the newer members to progress or really shine. My knowledge of Jarvid is that he sends me (and no doubt a million others) e-mails quite regularly. Goodness knows if he actually writes them but most purport to come from Cameron and Osborne so it is interesting that he gets a name check quite so often.
  • Options

Yes, I know that, but according to Wiki it was a grammar school, which is my point. The issue is that, on the whole, bright kids find it harder to shine in secondary moderns. Declining social mobility is the greatest challenge that the UK faces - and why the education reforms are so important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutlish_School

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Charles said:

And Cammie's chumocracy is?

LOL

No wonder kippers are feeling chipper with that kind of Cameroon attitude to the tory base still prevalent.

Charles said:

The lefty John Major who no doubt its feeling bitter because he lost a leadership election and couldn't win a majority like Cammie did.
    Sir John Major Slams Affluent Dominance Of UK

Sir John Major brands the power held by the privately educated and affluent "shocking" in comments that have stung David Cameron.

The Prime Minister has responded to Sir John Major's comments on the "truly shocking" collapse of social mobility by saying: "What counts is not where you come from but where you are going."

In a speech to Tory party members, Sir John sharply criticised the dominance of the upper echelons of power in Britain by the privately educated and affluent middle class.

Sir John, who left grammar school at 16 with three O-levels, called on the Eton-educated Prime Minister to do more to boost social mobility.

The words were judged to be particularly stinging to David Cameron as he has faced claims he has surrounded himself with people from a similarly privileged family and educational background.

More than half of the Cabinet are said to have been privately educated.

http://news.sky.com/story/1166744/sir-john-major-slams-affluent-dominance-of-uk
    *chortle*

He's right. Declining social mobility is a huge issue. That's not a question of which school you went to so much as the UK is failing to use its human capital as effectively as possible
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    JackW said:

woody662 said:

Woody, you old rogue !!

I'm fine thanks. Always lurking.
  • Options
    She is a nasty, spiteful extreme right winger. So of course she will appeal to a large part of the conservative party.

She'd make them completely unelectable, of course, (if they aren't already) so hopefully she gets the job. Not only would she win me a decent amount of money but they'd be out of power for ages! Bonus ;-)
  • Options
    woody662 said:

JackW said:

woody662 said:

Woody, you old rogue !!

I'm fine thanks. Always lurking.
    You old sea dogs are always lurking in mist waiting to emerge with a broadside, here's to you Admiral !!

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Reading the comments about social mobility, I wonder where posters here were educated. Me; 50's Grammar School then on to Technical College (now a University). Finally further degree at a "new" University.
  • Options

I think Rory Stewart being an Etonian is less important than it is for others. Eton is just a small part of his story; unlike Cameron and co, he's done stuff. He's written some (apparently good) books on foreign interventions and had a New York Times bestseller.

Heck, his bopic was reportedly purchased by Brad Pitt's production company before he was an MP.

He's a heavyweight, especially when compared to the current leaders.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yes, I know that, but according to Wiki it was a grammar school, which is my point. The issue is that, on the whole, bright kids find it harder to shine in secondary moderns. Declining social mobility is the greatest challenge that the UK faces - and why the education reforms are so important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutlish_School

Completely agree with that Charles. Social mobility has fallen dramaticallly as the private schools have increased their dominance from traditional fields across our society, even into things like pop music for goodness sake.

This is a terrible waste of our talents and does not bode well for future economic performance. Lifting the terrible performance of our state schools and giving the able children that attend them many more avenues to success is key to our future. In Scotland I really cannot comment on whether Academies, free Schools or the other Gove reforms are going to work in practice but he is trying to improve a complacent and failing mindset that is far too easily satisfied with its own performance.

In Scotland we have none of this as producer interests continue to dominate. There were league tables in the Courier this week. Some state schools in this area had 1% of pupils achieving 5 highers, the requirement for getting into a good university. By and large these are the same schools that were failing their pupils more than 30 years ago when I was at school. Nothing has been done and nothing is proposed. We have no special measures. We simply have more children give no chance at all whatever their ability.
  • Options
    “This could mean something or it could mean nothing”

I think we all know it means nothing, but it does allow ‘Bullingdon Club’ to be shoehorned into a thread header. - Job done!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    DavidL said:

But I am surprised that Osborne has not improved his standing somewhat.

Are you surprised Clegg is still toxic as well?

One day it's finally going to sink in that Osbrowne is an out of touch liability for voters and no amount of GDP stats or OECD projections are ever going to change that. Why on earth do you think little Ed can keep a crap shadow chancellor like Balls where he is and not worry too much about it? (there's also a rather huge internal labour reason why Balls isn't going anywhere and I'm going to enjoy spotting which PB tory finally works it out) ;)

All the tories accomplish by having to have Osbrowne front the economy is to diminish any good news by tainting it with his own personal toxicity. It's not going to go away and more than calamity Clegg's toxicity is. That means we're gong to see a repeat of the hilarity in 2010 when Osbrowne made himself as scarce as possible lest his own personal toxicity taint Cammie's election campaign too much.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Peter Mandelson's starting to look like my old geography teacher.
  • Options

Reading the comments about social mobility, I wonder where posters here were educated. Me; 50's Grammar School then on to Technical College (now a University). Finally further degree at a "new" University.

Private, state, state, private. Then off to Uni (QMW), where I dropped out in third year, after which I tootled off into industry.
  • Options
    By the way I know there have been problems with review technology but Kallis has just been given out against India LBW after a big inside edge. That is probably the test as he was playing superbly. Just a terrible decision. Why are India getting away with refusing to allow DRS?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

"An attempt by David Cameron to legislate for an in-out referendum on Britain’s EU membership is in danger of collapse due to opposition from hostile peers, senior Tories fear.

It was always the working assumption that this was going to happen, wasn't it? Right now it looks like the worst case for Lib/Lab would be that Cameron would try to use the Parliament Act and they'd have to pass an amendment in the Commons to kill it. (It doesn't matter what the amendment does, they just have to make sure the bill is different the second time it goes to the Lords to the first time.) The cheeky move would be amend to make the referendum immediate rather than 2017 on the grounds that the uncertainty was bad for Jobs, which would be an entertaining thing to watch Tories in UKIP-heavy seats oppose, but would still get around the Parliament Act and allow the Lords to kill it again.
    SeanT said:

The Tory leader for 2020 may have to be a man or woman prepared to cut an electoral deal with UKIP, and therefore very seriously eurosceptic. Not sure Boris or May fit the bill.

It's a long way off and might be different against a Labour government, but a Con-UKIP deal doesn't seem to poll very well. YouGov had Con/UKIP up 2% over the original Con score, while Lab were up 5%.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/09/why-a-toryukip-alliance-would-benefit-labour/

Maybe they need the opposite to do it: A centrist-looking leader, who can cut an electoral deal with UKIP (say offer them a referendum + a clear run in 10 winnable seats and 20 hopeless ones) without sending UKIP-phobic voters running to Lab.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

But I am surprised that Osborne has not improved his standing somewhat.

Are you surprised Clegg is still toxic as well?

One day it's finally going to sink in that Osbrowne is an out of touch liability for voters and no amount of GDP stats or OECD projections are ever going to change that. Why on earth do you think little Ed can keep a crap shadow chancellor like Balls where he is and not worry too much about it? (there's also a rather huge internal labour reason why Balls isn't going anywhere and I'm going to enjoy spotting which PB tory finally works it out) ;)

All the tories accomplish by having to have Osbrowne front the economy is to diminish any good news by tainting it with his own personal toxicity. It's not going to go away and more than calamity Clegg's toxicity is. That means we're gong to see a repeat of the hilarity in 2010 when Osbrowne made himself as scarce as possible lest his own personal toxicity taint Cammie's election campaign too much.

Clegg's problem is that he was always on the right of the Lib Dems as a party and even more so of their voters. This worked perfectly well when the tories were in the doldrums and there were soft tory targets but as the tories revived the Lib Dems found themselves squeezed, hence lost seats at the last election.

The fact he looks pretty comfortable in a tory government does not help him either. As a result more than half of their support has gone walkabout and may not come back. The next Lib Dem leader will come from the left of the party to try to correct this.

We will just have to disagree about Osborne.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Seant is a blonde lingerie clad lesbian, who gets drunk, vomits and gets into fights?

• Options
    SeanT said:

May. Boris. Yawn. I agree it should be, and probably will be, someone else.

Related, and potentially more significant:

"An attempt by David Cameron to legislate for an in-out referendum on Britain’s EU membership is in danger of collapse due to opposition from hostile peers, senior Tories fear.

A loose alliance of Europhile Tories and crossbenchers is understood to be preparing dozens of amendments to the EU referendum bill, which the Commons passed last month.

It is feared they could cause so many delays that the bill, which promises a referendum by the end of 2017, has to be abandoned."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1355829.ece

This bill is just about the only way I can see PM Miliband being forced into offering a referendum (absent a big new EU Treaty). Without that referendum, UKIP will prosper mightily in 2015-2020, as hostility to Brussels (and all it entails) festers and grows, unvented.

The Tory leader for 2020 may have to be a man or woman prepared to cut an electoral deal with UKIP, and therefore very seriously eurosceptic. Not sure Boris or May fit the bill.

Very good points, but by 2020 UKIP may not need what remains of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bog standard small town comp > state sixth form college > University College London > freedom!

As a matter of interest, what did you study at UCL? At a guess, something in the history or literature areas?
  • Options

It was always the working assumption that this was going to happen, wasn't it? Right now it looks like the worst case for Lib/Lab would be that Cameron would try to use the Parliament Act and they'd have to pass an amendment in the Commons to kill it. (It doesn't matter what the amendment does, they just have to make sure the bill is different the second time it goes to the Lords to the first time.) The cheeky move would be amend to make the referendum immediate rather than 2017 on the grounds that the uncertainty was bad for Jobs, which would be an entertaining thing to watch Tories in UKIP-heavy seats oppose, but would still get around the Parliament Act and allow the Lords to kill it again.

You appear to be implying that blatantly obvious EU posturing could somehow backfire for Cammie. Surely we all know by now after the flounce that wasn't that any and all attempts by Cameron to desperately placate gullible eurosceptic backbenchers and kipper wavering tories is guaranteed to work?
    The Times of London ‏@thetimes 16h

Curb migration or we’ll veto new  EU states, says Cameron http://thetim.es/JMG1Rr
    Let the comedy begin anew!

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Modjadji said:

She is a nasty, spiteful extreme right winger. So of course she will appeal to a large part of the conservative party.

She'd make them completely unelectable, of course, (if they aren't already) so hopefully she gets the job. Not only would she win me a decent amount of money but they'd be out of power for ages! Bonus ;-)

Great first post. Not often so few words can identify a poster as so rabidly tribal.

• Options
    State schooling, up until 16, then into work. Done IFE qualifications since, wish I'd gone to University, on looking back. Just wasn't the done thing in my family, though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Private -> Bath Uni (Desmond in Maths)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    6 state primaries, 2 years at boarding school then 3 more years at a good state school in Dundee. Red brick university.

Edit. Also did a Kinnock, first in 100 generations to go to Uni.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    DavidL said:

6 state primaries, 2 years at boarding school then 3 more years at a good state school in Dundee. Red brick university.

Either your family is/was prone to teenage pregnancies, or I'm unaware of these 3,000 year old universities :'D
  • Options
    Anna Soubry Tory defence minister "Nigel Farage always looks like someone has put a finger up his bottom and he really rather likes it".
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Either your family is/was prone to teenage pregnancies, or I'm unaware of these 3,000 year old universities :'D
    As a matter of fact my mum was 19 when I was born!

It was one of his better speeches. He wasn't capable of much, Neil Kinnock, but he gave 3 or 4 truly outstanding and memorable speeches. Better than most politicians.

• Options

Anna Soubry Tory defence minister "Nigel Farage always looks like someone has put a finger up his bottom and he really rather likes it".

Farage response: @tnewtondunn perhaps @anna_soubrymp should spend less time investigating digital rectal insertion and more on her brief?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    The 17% who want Gove must be certifiable.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Farage response: @tnewtondunn perhaps @anna_soubrymp should spend less time investigating digital rectal insertion and more on her brief?
    A great reply: dismissive and slightly amusing.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Seant is a blonde lingerie clad lesbian, who gets drunk, vomits and gets into fights?

I've never met SeanT. It might explain alot ... 8-)
  • Options
    Carola said:

I would find it very diffifcult if I lived in Broxtowe deciding who to vote for. I regard Anna Soubry as a good thing who should be an MP but have known and respected Nick Palmer for years

• Options
    I think fingergate has legs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    DavidL said:

Clegg's problem is that he was always on the right of the Lib Dems as a party and even more so of their voters. This worked perfectly well when the tories were in the doldrums and there were soft tory targets but as the tories revived the Lib Dems found themselves squeezed, hence lost seats at the last election.

Not quite. It wouldn't have been a problem if he campaigned and stood for election on policies that reflected his more right wing views and stance but he posed for his tuition fees pledge and had Vince mirror basically labour's economic message on cuts as well as campaign on other lib dem core issues such as civil liberties and welfare. It's that disconnect and seeming betrayal of core principles that the public reacted too as well as Clegg personally trying to be the "no more broken promises" "I'm not like the other party leaders" politician in the debates. Clegg failed to take his party and the public with him to the right and he barely even tried.

Cammie on the other hand tried at least superficially when he embarked on his tory detox posturing for the 2010 election. The reason Cameron has such problems from his backbenchers and grassroots though is that they might have been prepared to swallow that posturing to win but they weren't quite so happy with it when he failed to win a majority and had to go running to Clegg to save him with a coalition. Hence the ability of Farage to easily capitalise on tory discontent.

We can indeed disagree about Osbrowne but it's just a fact that some politicians fail to connect to voters and will always have a problem being popular. That needn't kill a political career of course and as we know from past tory leadership elections it isn't even necessarily a barrier to becoming leader. However, you can be absolutely certain any ambitious minister or shadow cabinet member watches their personal political ratings like a hawk. Despite their rote protestations to the contrary they care about them deeply and know that they do matter.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning.

I can't see it really, not Theresa May! Not the Theresa May who called her own party the "Nasty Party", and therefore earning opprobrium from left, right and centre; and they haven't recovered from that since. No, not Theresa May for leader.

• Options

Carola said:

I would find it very diffifcult if I lived in Broxtowe deciding who to vote for. I regard Anna Soubry as a good thing who should be an MP but have known and respected Nick Palmer for years

They must have been on the sherry in the green room. What a muppet.
  • Options
    Is there going to be a "Kippers for Palmer" this time around?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

That remark of hers - if true - is potentially career-ending. Catastrophically misjudged.
    It is a seriously stupid remark. She'll be apologising before long.

• Options

SeanT said:

Carola said:

That remark of hers - if true - is potentially career-ending. Catastrophically misjudged.

More from @Nigel_Farage on #fingergate: “She is rude and incompetent. I would expect an apology - but I won’t be holding my breath”.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    SeanT said:

I give it 2 hours before we see an apology. Too late though. She said it on live TV??!! Weirdly stupid.

I was looking at her twitter and though it may have already been deleted. But live on Marr? wtf
  • Options

The tories don't sound rattled by Farage at all. At least she didn't call him a fruitcake, loony and closet racist who liked to put his finger up his bottom.

*chortle*
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Private, state, state, private. Then off to Uni (QMW), where I dropped out in third year, after which I tootled off into industry.
    My parents sent me to an obscure (but good) day school when I was 8.

Because they didn't want me to go to Wetherby's, Summerfields, Eton, Oxford and the City...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good Morning.

I can't see it really, not Theresa May! Not the Theresa May who called her own party the "Nasty Party", and therefore earning opprobrium from left, right and centre; and they haven't recovered from that since. No, not Theresa May for leader.

not like you to misquote someone, much.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2013
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Not knowing what she was signing the country up to should have been enough to end her career.

http://youtu.be/cknGCCG-XKU
  • Options
    Carola said:

SeanT said:

Carola said:

More from @Nigel_Farage on #fingergate: “She is rude and incompetent. I would expect an apology - but I won’t be holding my breath”.
    Hhmmm .... Respect to Farage - not holding his breath with a digit up his rump .... Excellent to note a political leader make a good fist of it ....

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Carola said:

SeanT said:

Carola said:

Well I suppose it is difficult to hold your breath with a finger up your posterior .
  • Options
    England should really watch the South Africans. Very nice 4th innings batting.
  • Options
    Nice one,Anna Soubry.A minister who speaks her mind.

I am sure she`ll apologise but not career-ending I don`t think.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Soubry going down well on twitter already and as observed here making the newspapers ecstatic in the process.
    Nigel Fletcher ‏@nigelfletcher 38m

Nice of Anna Soubry to give a generous Christmas present to newsdesks there. #Marr
    Imagine all the clickbait column inches that could be poured out from this?
    Truly tis the season of goodwill to all headline writers. ;)
  • Options
    Why do you all have to put the word "good" before your school? Was my bog standard state infant, primary and full comp "bad"?
  • Options
    Everyone here backing CON in Broxtowe here must be rolling their eyes this morning.
  • Options
    Have I missed something or was todays Yougov poll for The Times cancelled. Cannot even see it mentioned once on here. Was there a crossover?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

The tories don't sound rattled by Farage at all. At least she didn't call him a fruitcake, loony and closet racist who liked to put his finger up his bottom.

*chortle*

Imagine if Godfrey Bloom had made some insulting joke about her clitoris.
    The only thing that would make bigger waves would be a comment about the lack of a Clitoris.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Carola said:

I give it 2 hours before we see an apology. Too late though. She said it on live TV??!! Weirdly stupid.
    It's just a weird comment.

I can't imagine how or why someone would say it in real life? I know the phrase 'poker up his arse' but why change that for a 'finger' and why add 'and he's enjoying it'. It's a bad insult, it's completely inappropriate and says to me she's not suitable as an MP or a minister.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    What is all this nonsense about the Anna Soubry comment. Personally I think many will agree with her and it wont do her any harm at all. Farage is a busted flush.
  • Options
    Farage should break the 100,000 twitter followers mark today,thanks to filthy minded Anna Soubry.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    "Nigel Farage always looks like someone has put a finger up his bottom and he really rather likes it".

Did she actually say that?
  • Options
    Well, that's sending me out to face the 'last few shopping bits' with a spring in my step. Hilarious. Thanks Anna!
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013

What is all this nonsense about the Anna Soubry comment. Personally I think many will agree with her and it wont do her any harm at all. Farage is a busted flush.

What, people actually imagine someone sticking their finger up Farage arse?

This is getting more weird by the minute.
  • Options

"Nigel Farage always looks like someone has put a finger up his bottom and he really rather likes it".

Those unconscious hand gestures were a bit unfortunate as well.

• Options
    Charles said:

My parents sent me to an obscure (but good) day school when I was 8.

Because they didn't want me to go to Wetherby's, Summerfields, Eton, Oxford and the City...
    I went to my first state school because it was much more convenient than the public school I was at. If only because my dad built our house right next to it. After that, he said there was no way he was going to drive me fifteen miles every day to school when I could just jump over the fence.

It seemed a rather expensive way to save on school fees ... ;-)

It also meant that I could never say I left my homework at home. I tried it once and my teacher told me to go and get it ...
  • Options
    Potentially far more damaging story for Farage destined to be overshadowed by Soubry's bizarre anal probing.
    Brett ‏@599bt 5m

Even Godfrey Bloom states #UKIP leadership is dysfunctional. It's a big boys club dedicated to @Nigel_Farage http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/21/nigel-farage-ukip-leadership-row?CMP=twt_gu
    The tory PR message Soubry projects is so incompetent it could almost be a Crosby or Osbrowne master strategy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SMukesh said:

Nice one,Anna Soubry.A minister who speaks her mind.

I am sure she`ll apologise but not career-ending I don`t think.

It'll harm her career inasmuch as she sits on a tiny minority and, this has made it considerably harder for her to win. Lots of people will be offended. I mean, I am offended - it just vulgarises politics in an unacceptable way - and if I'm offended I wonder how the bourgeois burghers of Broxtowe will feel.

Tsk.

Cameron will now get asked by journalists whether such remarks are tolerable, and on it will go...

She`s speaking with the gay abandon of someone who knows she hasn`t got much to lose.
  • Options

It's a strange, quite offensive remark, that if a man said about a woman, on a serious, live TV political show, would see him in deep trouble.
    She'll be scrabbling around now to apologise, someone will ask Cameron about it, and she'll take a hit. Bearing in mind her marginal seat, it was a stupid thing to say.

• Options

The 17% who want Gove must be certifiable.

Gove is a quality operator, watch him at work in debate and you would see a master at work. Unlike most UK Politicians he is a thoroughly decent man, also he is prepared to give credit where due to the opposition which is very rare in today's tribal times. Doing the job he does, with the bravery he shows brings inevitable unfair demonisation from parts of the media.

If he wants it though he should be a future leader, he is a class apart from any of the others mentioned.

• Options
    Carola said:

Those unconscious hand gestures were a bit unfortunate as well.

Please don't tell me she actually used her fingers descriptively as well.

Mick - I think in the public conscience when an MP says another MP likes someone else to put a finger up his arse, there is not much else that can top it. Totally bizarre thing to say....and very weird.
  • Options
    ✨Billy Bixby✨ ‏@billybixby 48s

Something vaguely homophobic about Anna Soubry joking that Nigel likes a finger up the ass. Good old Tories.
  • Options
    That didn't take long. You can hear Soubry's well judged remarks here.
    The Spectator ‏@spectator 4m

Anna Soubry on Nigel Farage https://audioboo.fm/boos/1813523-anna-soubry-on-nigel-farage … via @audioboo
    Expect a slew of youtube links from the papers to follow. Christmas catnip for bored columnists and political websites.
  • Options
    Found the Yougov result for The Times elsewhere. Labour 6% in front and on 40%.

Avery LP, I'll take the left goalpost and you can take the right goalpost and we can take you polling crossover goalposts wherever you want.

First it was imminent....then it was Xmas......where now for Aver LP's polling crossover?
  • Options
    Official Labour figures should probably keep schtum on social media over this one though. When your opponent is digging a hole best thing to do is let them keep digging.

Sure NPxMP will be diplomatic about the matter on here ;)
This discussion has been closed.