Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My best political bet of 2013 – the 14-1 “certainty”

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My best political bet of 2013 – the 14-1 “certainty”

The other polling from LordAshcroft and Populus did not list Stupple separately but it was possible to work out from those that were listed that he was doing particularly well.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    First, and I wonder what's happened to Stupple. If he comes across that well, why hasn't one of the parties party invited him to be a candidate somewhere?
  • Options
    My best bet was Fed Chair. My cat randomly woke me up at 5am, and as I blearily opened up Twitter, I saw that Larry Summers, who had been a strong favourite up until then, had just ruled himself out of the running for Fed chair. So I opened up predictious, saw someone hadn't got the memo yet, sold a load of Summers and bought what was there on Yellen.

One lucky feline got a shiny new cardboard box.
  • Options
    Not quite as gratifying as your 50/1 bet on Barry, but at 4/1 a profitable result none the less. Well done Mike.
  • Options

Not quite as gratifying as your 50/1 bet on Barry, but at 4/1 a profitable result none the less. Well done Mike.

Maybe more profitable, who knows?

For the non-punter, OGH's key phrase is "near certainty" -- which Obama certainly was not.

The more likely an event is to occur, the more you can stake because there is less chance of losing. Many professional punters, and almost all of the far larger players in the financial and stock markets, spend most of their time making vast bets on near-certainties at very short prices.

If an event pays 1/100 so you win a penny for every pound staked, you might not bother walking down to the betting shop to hand over £10 -- the 10p you'd win would not pay for the shoe leather. But £10,000 would win you £100 for five minutes' work which is not bad for a punter, and the City boys and girls are playing in millions and even billions.

One other advantage of playing at shorter odds is that you can get more on because the layers will stand up to you rather than limit your stakes. Partly this is due to shrewdies who got the 50/1 against Obama taking their profits by laying off or cashing out.

• Options

One other advantage of playing at shorter odds is that you can get more on because the layers will stand up to you rather than limit your stakes. Partly this is due to shrewdies who got the 50/1 against Obama taking their profits by laying off or cashing out.

Has anyone ever tried adding up the odds available on political markets and finding out if there's any consistent bias for/against favourites/outsiders? This needs data not theories, but FWIW my hunch would be that:
    1) People tend to be too generous to favourites a long way out, because they fail to see things coming in from left-field (things like George Galloway, for example).
    2) People tend to throw money away on no-hopers at the last minute, especially if they were once in serious contention, because both sides will pretend the race is closer than it really is to try to motivate their supporters, and the media play along because nail-biters make a better story.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    FPT,

If we ever have a European referendum. I suspect Ukip will find the campaign a massive anticlimax.

At the moment, I'd prefer us to stay in but with changes.

In 1975, I was very pro-Europe, yet even I was embarrassed by the one-sided nature of the debate. The BBC, for once, gave up all pretence of being balanced and were blatantly on our side. Dissenting voice were sniggered at. I voted against on principle but I was glad we won (I was younger then).

I can't see why it will be any different now.

And perhaps OGH should be known as OCC - Old Clever Clogs.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited December 2013
    @OGH said:
    My definition of a great bet is one where my reading is that the outcome is a near certainty and the odds are longer than evens.
    This is the goal isn't it? This is why we spend so long pouring over every poll and survey. Looking for that hidden gem or slice of arbitrage. Anyhoo, well done sir.

As an aside, is there anybody else on here foolish enough to be in the office this chilly festive morn?

Merry Christmas :-)
  • Options
    Although I made more a lot more profit at the Dunfermline by-election, my best bet of 2013 in terms of "a near certainty" was:
    William Hill - Aberdeen Donside by-election - SNP Under 55.5% @ 4/7
    Less than EVS, but still daftly long odds for a certainty.

My best bet of 2014 is also with Hills:
    Will Anyone Leave The UK Cabinet By End Of 2014? Yes @ 5/6
    Also less than EVS, but not by much.

I managed to get 100 GBP on before they closed down that market. If I'd had more cash available that day then I'd have got at least 1000 GBP on that.
  • Options
    OT (again),

As a long suffering LFC fan, I find myself with somewhat of a nose-bleed this morning.
    Here's hoping that Arsenal and Chelsea can knock the stuffing out of each other in a goal fest score draw this evening.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

@OGH said:
    My definition of a great bet is one where my reading is that the outcome is a near certainty and the odds are longer than evens.
    This is the goal isn't it? This is why we spend so long pouring over every poll and survey. Looking for that hidden gem or slice of arbitrage. Anyhoo, well done sir.

As an aside, is there anybody else on here foolish enough to be in the office this chilly festive morn?

Merry Christmas :-)

Yes, you're not the only person in the office today! Merry Christmas to you too :)

• Options
    Alongside this my best bet was on Michael Moore as next out of the cabinet.

Both tipped by Mike.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Congrats on the winning tip, Mr. Smithson. May we all enjoy many more in 2014.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, just checked and your Gumede bet (each way) ended up flat. Obviously green would've been nicer, but still a good spot at the very start of the competition.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    After all the faux outrage of yesterday .... now utterly forgotten, was it even mentioned on the goggle box ??? .... it's good to note PB has pulled its collective finger out and is discussing .... er .... political betting !!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    JackW said:

After all the faux outrage of yesterday .... now utterly forgotten, was it even mentioned on the goggle box ??? .... it's good to note PB has pulled its collective finger out and is discussing .... er .... political betting !!

Now utterly forgotten?

The whole cricket world is at it, Jack.

Graeme Swann in Melbourne after announcing his retirement:

"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are."

• Options

OT (again),

As a long suffering LFC fan, I find myself with somewhat of a nose-bleed this morning.
    Here's hoping that Arsenal and Chelsea can knock the stuffing out of each other in a goal fest score draw this evening.

The fixture calendar hasn't been kind to us this festive period.

City and Chelsea away.

We'll be out of the top four by Sunday.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,891
    CD13 said:

FPT,

If we ever have a European referendum. I suspect Ukip will find the campaign a massive anticlimax.

At the moment, I'd prefer us to stay in but with changes.

In 1975, I was very pro-Europe, yet even I was embarrassed by the one-sided nature of the debate. The BBC, for once, gave up all pretence of being balanced and were blatantly on our side. Dissenting voice were sniggered at. I voted against on principle but I was glad we won (I was younger then).

I can't see why it will be any different now.

And perhaps OGH should be known as OCC - Old Clever Clogs.

TBF, that was the way it seemed to be about the Euro ten or so years ago. I really didn't want the UK to join - and for what with hindsight were the right reasons (for once).

Yet large parts of the media seemed to be rather pro-Euro, and some of the insults thrown at the anti-Euro people were rather nasty at times.

But that was just my opinion: perhaps the pro-Euro camp felt similarly.

Congratulations to everyone who has had winning bets, and indeed to everyone who bets - you're braver than me!
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, just checked and your Gumede bet (each way) ended up flat. Obviously green would've been nicer, but still a good spot at the very start of the competition.

It was an odd Strictly for me.

I didn't tip the winner for the first time in a few years.

But made a decent profit overall.

ATD as top male from 8/15 to 1/10 was a great trading bet.

Ditto laying Ms Ellis-Bextor and Miss Reid halfway through also was a great strategy.
  • Options

Has anyone ever tried adding up the odds available on political markets and finding out if there's any consistent bias for/against favourites/outsiders? This needs data not theories, but FWIW my hunch would be that:
    1) People tend to be too generous to favourites a long way out, because they fail to see things coming in from left-field (things like George Galloway, for example).
    2) People tend to throw money away on no-hopers at the last minute, especially if they were once in serious contention, because both sides will pretend the race is closer than it really is to try to motivate their supporters, and the media play along because nail-biters make a better story.
    Two other factors in political betting:
    3) punters following their hearts -- normally characterised as rich Tories shortening the odds against the blue team;
    4) parties trying the Freud gambit -- backing their own candidates in order to create media coverage and hearten supporters

To test EiT's hypothesis, data is clearly needed and could easily be collected in real time but historical data might be available from Betfair, or from pb luminaries with connections to bookmakers or odds comparison sites.
  • Options

OT (again),

City and Chelsea away.

Oh ye of little faith.
    I can't see us not scoring against either team. Then again, I can't see us not conceding either.
    My optimist hat says that we'll get a point from each.
  • Options

OT (again),

City and Chelsea away.

Oh ye of little faith.
    I can't see us not scoring against either team. Then again, I can't see us not conceding either.
    I can see us getting a point at the Bridge.

Arsenal outplayed us this season and were spanked 6-3 by City.

I foresee a similar outcome, I have doubts about our defence.
  • Options
    Bit more detail on the M&S business:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25488259

John Lewis' chap sounds quite sensible.
  • Options
    As ever, I got most value in betting against Spurs and England's batsmen. I should have done it a lot more.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AveryLP said:

JackW said:

Now utterly forgotten?

"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are."

Well indeed .... but it's clear the good folk of Britain enjoy nothing more than a bit of bottom fun .... And here of course PBers have always had a fond attachment to my ARSE !!

As for 2013 political betting has been quiet for moi compared to the orgy of opportunity in the previous years US elections.

Tennis has been a rip roarer though. In particular Nadal at the French and US Opens. Mrs JackW has been raiding the nations shoe shops on the proceeds .... C'est la vie

• Options

OT (again),

City and Chelsea away.

Oh ye of little faith.
    I'm a Chelsea fan and I would take a point now from the Liverpool game.
  • Options

OT (again),

City and Chelsea away.

Oh ye of little faith.
    I can see us getting a point at the Bridge.

Arsenal outplayed us this season and were spanked 6-3 by City.

I foresee a similar outcome, I have doubts about our defence.
    Everton were the best team we've played this so far season, I can see the City match being similar. I don't doubt that we'll concede a few, but City's defense is as leaky as ours.

Chelsea are good but just don't seem to be as much of a threat up front.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2013

There was firm evidence of favourite-longshot bias in Betfair's constituency odds in 2010.
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17457289.2011.629727?journalCode=fbep20#.Urf8-LDuOcw

Cached draft paper here:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Kah9JxYeOJQJ:www.essex.ac.uk/government/epop/Papers/Panel29/P29_Wall_EPOP2010.pdf+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I have always found Jacks ARSe more reliable than Farages finger in the wind!
    JackW said:

AveryLP said:

JackW said:

Now utterly forgotten?

Well indeed .... but it's clear the good folk of Britain enjoy nothing more than a bit of bottom fun .... And here of course PBers have always had a fond attachment to my ARSE !!

As for 2013 political betting has been quiet for moi compared to the orgy of opportunity in the previous years US elections.

Tennis has been a rip roarer though. In particular Nadal at the French and US Opens. Mrs JackW has been raiding the nations shoe shops on the proceeds .... C'est la vie

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Who has had the worse year ? Balls or Cable - the so called guru's of lefty economics have done more than any opponent to drag down their careers.

Vince has boxed himself into a position where he can't take any credit for the economic recovery and now just as immigration nears the top of voters concerns he flies in the face of public opinion with silly comments about Cam being like Enoch Powell.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5340700/Vince-Cable-blasted-after-likening-PMs-stance-to-Enoch-Powell-race-rant.html

At what point does Clegg put him out of his shooting himself in the foot misery ?

He is no longer a serious leadership rival but perhaps is becoming a drag on the LD ticket.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

Bit more detail on the M&S business:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25488259

John Lewis' chap sounds quite sensible.

Well, indeed. If you go into the customer service business, then your job is to serve customers. If you don't want to handle certain products don't become a shop assistant. This sort of nonsense is no more acceptable than a customer saying that they didn't want to be served by a Muslim shop assistant because of their religious beliefs.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Yes, nice work Mike! I wonder too if Supplee's still active for himself or anyone. Some of the best llocal councillors are people who weren't in any party ands were just keen on their area, so one of the parties scooped them up as candidates, chucking the usual requirements (N months' membership etc.) in the bin. Sometimes goes horribly wrong though.

3) punters following their hearts -- normally characterised as rich Tories shortening the odds against the blue team;
    4) parties trying the Freud gambit -- backing their own candidates in order to create media coverage and hearten supporters

To test EiT's hypothesis, data is clearly needed and could easily be collected in real time but historical data might be available from Betfair, or from pb luminaries with connections to bookmakers or odds comparison sites.
    Interesting and useful - someone should have a go. I'd add 5), punters tend to assume that the side that's been behind for some time will even things out at the last minute (a misunderstood interpretation of regression to the mean), so they bet against what has become a clear outcome. I think the persistence of people betting on a Tory win in 1997 was due to that as well as 3). We're seeing that again now with people betting on a Tory majority, which virtually no professionals now see as plausible because they aren't making a serious effort in the Labour-held marginals.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

and almost all of the far larger players in the financial and stock markets, spend most of their time making vast bets on near-certainties at very short prices.

If a bet isn't value you'll end up doing the lot eventually.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk

I have always found Jacks ARSe more reliable than Farages finger in the wind!

A true socialist would try to eradicate the inequality by merging the two.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Well done Mike.

In the interests of balance,will we have a thread about a near certain bet losing out?
  • Options

Yes, nice work Mike! I wonder too if Supplee's still active for himself or anyone. Some of the best llocal councillors are people who weren't in any party ands were just keen on their area, so one of the parties scooped them up as candidates, chucking the usual requirements (N months' membership etc.) in the bin. Sometimes goes horribly wrong though.

Interesting and useful - someone should have a go. I'd add 5), punters tend to assume that the side that's been behind for some time will even things out at the last minute (a misunderstood interpretation of regression to the mean), so they bet against what has become a clear outcome. I think the persistence of people betting on a Tory win in 1997 was due to that as well as 3). We're seeing that again now with people betting on a Tory majority, which virtually no professionals now see as plausible because they aren't making a serious effort in the Labour-held marginals.

@RodCrosby is argues a CON majority is plausible. He is the one punter going against my view on this that concerns me, with all respect to Scrapheap and Ave it :). NOM on the night will suit us both though (I think)
  • Options

Are we playing charades Sven? I know, you are Nicolae Ceaușescu preparing to make that memorable XMas speech of 1989....

What do I win...?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    edited December 2013
    Well after several years on this site I placed my first political bet with Tim about whether the deficit will be lower or higher this year than it was last. Personally, I regarded this as a pretty sure thing and the Autumn statement has moved the government's forecast lower rather than the higher figure it was at the time the bet was made, albeit by a measly £4bn.

We shall see but I am optimistic despite some pretty ordinary figures last week.

BTW, remember that white stuff that was supposed to be a distant memory? It seems to be over my car and grass this morning.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well after several years on this site I placed my first political bet with Tim about whether the deficit will be lower or higher this year than it was last. Personally, I regarded this as a pretty sure thing and the Autumn statement has moved the government's forecast lower rather than the higher figure it was at the time the bet was made, albeit by a measly £4bn.

We shall see but I am optimistic despite some pretty ordinary figures last week.

BTW, remember that white stuff that was supposed to be a distant memory? It seems to be over my car and grass this morning.

It's been a very warm winter around much of Northern Europe this year. Places like Moscow, Stockholm and Helsinki have been seeing temperatures above zero.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

There was firm evidence of favourite-longshot bias in Betfair's constituency odds in 2010.
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17457289.2011.629727?journalCode=fbep20#.Urf8-LDuOcw

Cached draft paper here:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Kah9JxYeOJQJ:www.essex.ac.uk/government/epop/Papers/Panel29/P29_Wall_EPOP2010.pdf+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Thanks - some of that bias is quite big, eg candidates in the 61%-70% range right before the election won 82% of the time.

Fits in with my experience on predictious, where some fool was selling the Dem for VA gov in the high 70s despite a 7% polling lead. Or some other fool kept selling Tokyo as Olympic city in the low 70s despite all the sensible observers saying it was a shoo-in. (Hang on, that second one was me...)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

and almost all of the far larger players in the financial and stock markets, spend most of their time making vast bets on near-certainties at very short prices.

If a bet isn't value you'll end up doing the lot eventually.
    Not a problem for the banksters -- the taxpayers will bail them out.

More subtly, of course, you can also go broke even if your bet is value.
  • Options
    Interesting....

Lord Ashcroft‏@LordAshcroft17m
    A New Year treat to look forward to: my latest Project Blueprint polling on prospects for a Tory majority. Sign up at http://bit.ly/17zmETt
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    The Stupple thing should also have shown Ukip how easy it would be for candidates using purple leaflets to nick their votes and hence why they need their brand to be fixed in people's heads as logo + colour.
  • Options

Interesting....

A New Year treat to look forward to: my latest Project Blueprint polling on prospects for a Tory majority. Sign up at http://bit.ly/17zmETt

Without spoiling it I suspect LA will again say "no chance Dave".

• Options
    MrJones said:

The Stupple thing should also have shown Ukip how easy it would be for candidates using purple leaflets to nick their votes and hence why they need their brand to be fixed in people's heads as logo + colour.

Are you sure that's what happened? Do the voters really know the UKIP colour in the first place?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    In wake of damning Pisa results, just 21% of adults polled in Wales forecast nation's education system will improve over the coming 12 months

Almost two thirds of people in Wales predict the nation’s education system will stay the same or get worse over the next 12 months, according to an exclusive poll carried out for WalesOnline.

Of those surveyed by YouGov, a total of 35% described the current state of education in Wales as “bad” and just 21% expected improvement in the next year.

Overall, 61% thought educational standards would stagnate or get worse over the same period and 18% said they did not know what to expect.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/poll-reveals-nearly-two-thirds-6439960
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2013

Banksters [sic] who did not pull the mortgages, consumer-debt and unfunded PFIs that Gormless and Bolleaux created from 2000 - 2007 (in their "Nae mah' boom andt boust" economic miracle)? How t'ick do you have to be to be a Labour mor0n...?

• Options

Banksters [sic] who did not pull the mortgages, consumer-debt and unfunded PFIs that Gormless and Bolleaux created from 2000 - 2007 (in their "Nae mah' boom andt boust" economic miracle)? How t'ick do you have to be to be a Labour mor0n...?

Leaving the insults to one side, and I'm not a member of the Labour Party, you might have missed that the global financial crisis was global and not a local event. The clue is in the name.
  • Options
    A propos of the M&S brouhaha, may I just record that over a very long period I have consistently found Marks & Spencer workers to be by far the most friendly and pleasant to deal with from the perspective of the customer. This may well be closely related to the attitude that their management fosters, from the very top down, towards their interests.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if the reason the political class find it so easy to cover up child abuse is because they were all molested at school.
  • Options
    Hopefully Daniel Levy will confirm to Sherwood that he has the managerial job for the rest of the season today !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

David

Your bet with tim is looking good.

The November Public Finances figures were not as bad as the headline figures suggest as can be seen from the OBR's commentary on the ONS bulletin:

Receipts
    Central government accrued receipts rose by £1.8 billion or 4.6 per cent in November compared to a year earlier. Receipts growth was broad-based, with growth recorded in income tax and NICs, VAT and stamp duties. Receipts of stamp duty land tax were particularly strong, up 28 per cent on a year earlier.

Expenditure
    Central government current expenditure was £1.0 billion less than in November last year, mainly because of falls in net social benefits and other current spending. The £0.8 billion reduction in other current spending includes an overall £2.3 billion fall in grants from central government to local authorities, as a result of the large timing differences in the payment of these grants this year, which is partly offset by increases in overseas grant payments made by DfID, and other spending.

Investment
    Central government capital spending was £0.7 billion higher than a year ago.

So what caused the Nov 2013 over Nov 2012 rise in borrowing? This is again made clear by Chote:

Local Government
    This year, PSNB in November was higher than last year mainly because higher borrowing by local authorities more than offset lower borrowing by central government. This is related to the different timing of grants to local authorities compared with a year earlier.

Local government expenditure and borrowing is somewhat opaque in both the ONS and OBR bulletins. There has been a major change in phasing from previous years, which up to now the OBR has been suggesting was front loaded, meaning that the second half of F/Y 2013-14 should benefit.

Chote is still claiming this effect will apply but where the monthly rise in local government borrowing of £3.1 bn came from appears to be a mystery. I guess it is a one off figure rather than a continuing trend, hence OBR's optimistic forecasts of year end outcomes.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

A propos of the M&S brouhaha, may I just record that over a very long period I have consistently found Marks & Spencer workers to be by far the most friendly and pleasant to deal with from the perspective of the customer. This may well be closely related to the attitude that their management fosters, from the very top down, towards their interests.

In general I would agree, but what stupid person in M&S decided on this separation policy or how were they pushed into it.?

In many Islamic countries that I visit, in the hotels alcohol is served to non-Muslims by Muslims. Another case of being too PC mad again?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    Winning bets, I remember them!

Congrats to Mike for the spot, and being able to get much on such an obscure market. Getting on is more difficult than picking the winners these days... And neither is easy!
  • Options
    On topic, I've been annoyingly busy with work and haven't had as much time to do political betting as I would have liked. The bet that has pleased me the most is getting 5/2 on the Lib Dems not reaching 14% in the polls with YouGov at any point in the year. Pricing this type of bet is really difficult, because a single rogue poll could have blown it at any time. But the Lib Dems hadn't hit 14% in 2011 or 2012, so it seemed to me that there was a becalmed quality to their polling that was worth a flutter.

I'm still not sure whether it was a wise bet, but it was a winning bet.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    antifrank said:

I agree, there is something to be admired I think, in the way they consider each employees interests, and it no doubt is reflected in the staffs attitude
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2013
    MacShane gets 6 months...
  • Options
    MacShane is a lucky boy. In two-months time he is back on the Al-Beeb gravy-train....
  • Options
    Talking of PC madness, a Labour council want to have a programme of re-educating householders who fill their bins incorrectly.

Another excuse to exercise control over people's lives by petty officials who were put there to serve the people, not rule them!!

Perhaps Southampton will rename itself as Stasiland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528086/Now-lessons-bins-Dustmen-refuse-lids-wont-close-controversial-new-rules.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hopefully Daniel Levy will confirm to Sherwood that he has the managerial job for the rest of the season today !

To be fair, he said the same thing to AVB.
  • Options
    Does anyone here follow the betfair forums - The cricket in particular - TraderPJ and Nigel_PM. Well it is remarkable how often their analysis is spot on. They are to cricket what OGH is to politics.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

I agree, there is something to be admired I think, in the way they consider each employees interests, and it no doubt is reflected in the staffs attitude
    Would never happen at John Lewis where the staff have a nice incentive as partners to ensure the tills keep ringing.

Hooray for capitalism..
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

David

The November Public Finances figures were not as bad as the headline figures suggest as can be seen from the OBR's commentary on the ONS bulletin:

Receipts
    Central government accrued receipts rose by £1.8 billion or 4.6 per cent in November compared to a year earlier. Receipts growth was broad-based, with growth recorded in income tax and NICs, VAT and stamp duties. Receipts of stamp duty land tax were particularly strong, up 28 per cent on a year earlier.

Expenditure
    Central government current expenditure was £1.0 billion less than in November last year, mainly because of falls in net social benefits and other current spending. The £0.8 billion reduction in other current spending includes an overall £2.3 billion fall in grants from central government to local authorities, as a result of the large timing differences in the payment of these grants this year, which is partly offset by increases in overseas grant payments made by DfID, and other spending.

Investment

So what caused the Nov 2013 over Nov 2012 rise in borrowing? This is again made clear by Chote:

Local Government
    This year, PSNB in November was higher than last year mainly because higher borrowing by local authorities more than offset lower borrowing by central government. This is related to the different timing of grants to local authorities compared with a year earlier.

Local government expenditure and borrowing is somewhat opaque in both the ONS and OBR bulletins. There has been a major change in phasing from previous years, which up to now the OBR has been suggesting was front loaded, meaning that the second half of F/Y 2013-14 should benefit.

Chote is still claiming this effect will apply but where the monthly rise in local government borrowing of £3.1 bn came from appears to be a mystery. I guess it is a one off figure rather than a continuing trend, hence OBR's optimistic forecasts of year end outcomes.
    Avery, Merry Christmas !!

I sincerely wish you get a new life !! This one is just too sad for you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    surbiton said:

How pleasant.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TGOHF said:

Interesting....

Without spoiling it I suspect LA will again say "no chance Dave".

Offer each UKIP member something so that they disband their party ? I don't think even that would do it.

• Options
    Financier said:

antifrank said:

In general I would agree, but what stupid person in M&S decided on this separation policy or how were they pushed into it.?

In many Islamic countries that I visit, in the hotels alcohol is served to non-Muslims by Muslims. Another case of being too PC mad again?
    The religious aspect is a bit of a red herring. If a member of staff had an unreasoning fear of root vegetables, but was otherwise a good employee, it would be wise to put him well away from the tills or the greengrocery section. He'd be stressed and there would probably be complications with customers.

If you start from the perspective that you are going to try to meet staff's wishes wherever possible rather than from the perspective that you are going to make them do whatever you want them to do, you will form policies like this. If it makes no difference to the customer and you can run your business efficiently accommodating their wishes, there's no problem.

Here the policy had been allowed to affect customers. That was the mistake, and M&S seem to recognise it.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

Well after several years on this site I placed my first political bet with Tim about whether the deficit will be lower or higher this year than it was last. Personally, I regarded this as a pretty sure thing and the Autumn statement has moved the government's forecast lower rather than a measly £4bn.

David

Receipts

Expenditure

Investment

Local Government

And yours ain't?

At least Avery is only a spoof (I think!), you appear to be real.......

• Options

DavidL said:

It's been a very warm winter around much of Northern Europe this year. Places like Moscow, Stockholm and Helsinki have been seeing temperatures above zero.

I agree SO. It has been very warm here, frequently over 10C when you would expect it to be pretty close to zero.

But it's suitably festive today. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited December 2013
    Financier said:

If I've understood the M&S statement right it was just something someone did in one store, so if that's true it could have been something like:

"We've got three people out with the flu and it's Christmas rush - can you do the register just for today, Ahmed?"
    "Sorry, if my mum saw me selling alcohol she'd moaning about it for weeks, that's why you put me in the bakery."
    "OK, we'll do what we do with under-18s. Just call a superviser if anyone wants to buy alcohol and they'll put it though. Hopefully Darren will be in by lunchtime and he can take over then."
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

Surby, a very Merry Christmas to you too !!

But I do hope you have a wide chimney.

The last time I looked at Santa he seemed a bit burly to me.

• Options

Financier said:

If I've understood the M&S statement right it was just something someone did in one store, so if that's true it could have been something like:

"We've got three people out with the flu and it's Christmas rush - can you do the register just for today, Ahmed?"
    "Sorry, if my mum saw me selling alcohol she'd moaning about it for weeks, that's why you put me in the bakery."
    "OK, we'll do what we do with under-18s. Just call a superviser if anyone wants to buy alcohol and they'll put it though. Hopefully Darren will be in by lunchtime and he can take over then."
    That appears to be the case. Which is a sane, and adequate policy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

If you didn't invite Nigella around may be you'd spill less flour?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

David

Receipts

Expenditure

Investment

Local Government

As I say I am confident but I am also a little disappointed that growth more than 3 times forecast has produced such a modest reduction. It makes clear that our deficit troubles are largely structual and will not just melt away like the white stuff in my garden.

The next election is going to be one of the more important for a while. Five years of sanity simply cannot put good 13 years (10 in reality since he copied Clarke originally) of madness. We simply cannot afford a Labour government at this point. They are not just for Christmas and they are just too expensive.

• Options

Financier said:

"OK, we'll do what we do with under-18s."

Edmondo

I fear you are muddling M&S with the BBC.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    RodCrosby said:

He got off very lightly there...

Can we petition for a longer sentence?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    edited December 2013

Financier said:

As usual a load of hoo-haa about an isolated incident.Irritatingly predictable.
  • Options
    Another Comments are Closed at t'Telegraph. Again it exemplifies the many ways that the Mohammedan attacks - in various, nuanced forms - all we hold dear...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Leaving the insults to one side, and I'm not a member of the Labour Party, you might have missed that the global financial crisis was global and not a local event. The clue is in the name.
    Northern Rock and B&B went bust because of dreadful lending policies and dreadful funding practices.

There are 2 golden rules in banking:

1. Look at the customer, not the asset
    2. Borrow long and lend short

NR & B&B broke them both...
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

I would be seriously disappointed if spilling flour was the extent of the fun if Nigella came around. Even my wife might forgive me that one.

I look forward to the Lawson family revenge in the New Year. Dominic came out firing in the ST yesterday. Mr Saatchi may come to regret this.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    It's been rather a thin year for political betting, with no big items like the US presidential elections or a GE to get our teeth into. I've mainly been positioning myself for the GE (all green, thank you very much) and taking advantage of some silly anomalies, such as the mismatch between the constituency prices and the majority/NOM prices which I highlighted a while back. Oddly, that mismatch has persisted - until a few days ago, Paddy Power were offering a stunning 6/1 on Amber Rudd retaining Hastings & Rye.

My best bet settlement of the year in terms of profit was actually an oddity on HS2 being approved before various other options, which Ladbrokes settled some time around May - jolly sporting of them. South Shields was pretty decent; I had five bets on it, four of which were winners. More recently, tim, late of this parish, made a useful contribution when he settled a bet on free schools. The German election was quite a good one; I got on the Grand coalition at around 2/1 thanks to a post by Nick Palmer. I haven't had many big losers this year, although I did bet on the LibDems getting 14% or more in a YouGov poll by the end of the year, which is one to chalk down to experience.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

He pleaded guilty. I believe the judge had to show some leniency as a result. - besides, MacShame is too handsome to be banged up longer. : )
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

So halving it gives the start point. 3 months. But then it is less than that he will serve in the clink. The 3 months becomes the time for serving. So halve this. 1.5 months in prison, 1.5 in the clink.

Then take away 18 days for 'overcrowding'. Then he will probably be allowed out for christmas.

I'm going for 26 days behind bars.

Richard Littlejohn, a columnist who I disagree with ALOT pretty much nails it in this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2323988/Chris-Huhne-Vicky-Pryce-When-did-8-month-jail-sentence-8-weeks-Asks-Richard-Littlejohn.html
  • Options
    edited December 2013

It's been rather a thin year for political betting, with no big items like the US presidential elections or a GE to get our teeth into. I've mainly been positioning myself for the GE (all green, thank you very much) and taking advantage of some silly anomalies, such as the mismatch between the constituency prices and the majority/NOM prices which I highlighted a while back. Oddly, that mismatch has persisted - until a few days ago, Paddy Power were offering a stunning 6/1 on Amber Rudd retaining Hastings & Rye.

My best bet settlement of the year in terms of profit was actually an oddity on HS2 being approved before various other options, which Ladbrokes settled some time around May - jolly sporting of them. South Shields was pretty decent; I had five bets on it, four of which were winners. More recently, tim, late of this parish, made a useful contribution when he settled a bet on free schools. The German election was quite a good one; I got on the Grand coalition at around 2/1 thanks to a post by Nick Palmer. I haven't had many big losers this year, although I did bet on the LibDems getting 14% or more in a YouGov poll by the end of the year, which is one to chalk down to experience.

How did you get a green on CON majority - was there some 7-1 or something I've managed to miss on it ?

Or did you take that ludicrous 9-1 that Hills offered on Lab Maj right after the election and green up on that :P >?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

How did you get a green on CON majority - was there some 7-1 or something I've managed to miss on it ?

By betting quite heavily on Labour (both Lab Maj and Lab Most Seats) when they were out of fashion in 2011/2012, and then betting on Con Most Seats when sentiment went the other way. I've also got a spread bet on the SPIN 'swingometer' - I bought at 43 which rather conveniently gives a small profit on NOM (which they settle at 50) and a big profit on Con Maj (which they settle at 100), with the downside covered by my earlier bets on Lab Maj at very good odds.

More recently I've been laying Con Maj to some extent and backing Con in various individual seats. Obviously that's not a perfect match, but it's a good proxy: hard to see Con Maj without Conservative holds in seats like Kingswood, Hastings and Rye, etc, as we've discussed before.

Edit: I took Wm Hill's Lab Maj immediately after the last election at a super-duper 9/1. Unfortunately they'd only let me have a few quid, but it all helps...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Northern Rock and B&B went bust because of dreadful lending policies and dreadful funding practices.

There are 2 golden rules in banking:

1. Look at the customer, not the asset
    2. Borrow long and lend short

NR & B&B broke them both...
    Actually, isn't it a feature of the mortgage market that rule 2 is almost necessarily broken?

• Options
    On-topic:

The best value bet of the year was the one that only seanT took (and not out of kindness): Marque Senile's claim that the Greek economy would out-grow the UK in 2013 (which, for sure, we have to wait until late FY2013/14-Q4 for confirmation) shows how the unscrupulous will always benefit - freely - from the gullible. Well done Sean!
  • Options
    MacShane will be out in six and a half weeks time on HDC.

That's the tag to thee and me.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Must be a bugger to be locked up two days before christmas.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

By betting quite heavily on Labour (both Lab Maj and Lab Most Seats) when they were out of fashion in 2011/2012, and then betting on Con Most Seats when sentiment went the other way. I've also got a spread bet on the SPIN 'swingometer' - I bought at 43 which rather conveniently gives a small profit on NOM (which they settle at 50) and a big profit on Con Maj (which they settle at 100), with the downside covered by my earlier bets on Lab Maj at very good odds.

More recently I've been laying Con Maj to some extent and backing Con in various individual seats. Obviously that's not a perfect match, but it's a good proxy: hard to see Con Maj without Conservative holds in seats like Kingswood, Hastings and Rye, etc, as we've discussed before.
    I've followed you up on paragraph two but must have been asleep at the wheel to miss the big Lab Maj/Most seat prices.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Another reason Northern Rock etc went bust while other banks didn't is those other banks got trillions in under the counter loans from the Fed (edit to stop them going bust.)
  • Options
    Talking of betting:

Which eejit came up with the idea of stripping an Englishman of his/her nationality?* Anyone betting on Tessa May becoming a leader of a party should consider the idiocy of such a policy....

* Anything prior to 'The Glorious Revolution' should be discounted....
  • Options

Talking of betting:

Which eejit came up with the idea of stripping an Englishman of his/her nationality?* Anyone betting on Tessa May becoming a leader of a party should consider the idiocy of such a policy....

It doesn't seem that long ago that we wanted to help them topple the Syrian government.
  • Options
    How the world of money will look in 2024 from the Telegraph - predictions include:

"Some investors still keep a portion of their money in British and American stocks, although companies listed in Scotland – independent since 2016 – are largely shunned."

"Do you have an unused chequebook lying around at the back of a drawer? Treasure it, if so.

In 2024 there is a thriving market in one type of financial collectable – the chequebook. Since cheques were scrapped in 2017 they have served no purpose other than as interesting and increasingly rare relics, for which some collectors will pay handsomely.

Most sought after are unused chequebooks issued by former British banking brands such as Lloyds or Barclays, now both trading under the name of their parent group, the Bank of Nigeria."

"Today, almost 60pc of payments are made via mobile phones.
    This take-up was faster than expected, given that Britain’s first concerted mobile payments project – where customers’ phone numbers were linked to their bank accounts to facilitate payments – was rolled out in the early months of 2014 .

Former bank branches now make some of the most desirable homes in market towns and villages. But no one dreams of counter service.

With Tesco being Britain’s biggest bank, those few customers who do need to make cash deposits or withdrawals tend to use the in-store checkouts, or transact at their door when their delivery arrives.

A decade ago, at the beginning of 2014, there were 9,500 bank branches. Go back 30 years, to 1994, and there were almost 18,000. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10531374/Our-predictions-for-2014-How-about-2024....html

• Options
    Financier said:

How the world of money will look in 2024 from the Telegraph - predictions include:

"Some investors still keep a portion of their money in British and American stocks, although companies listed in Scotland – independent since 2016 – are largely shunned."

"Do you have an unused chequebook lying around at the back of a drawer? Treasure it, if so.

In 2024 there is a thriving market in one type of financial collectable – the chequebook. Since cheques were scrapped in 2017 they have served no purpose other than as interesting and increasingly rare relics, for which some collectors will pay handsomely.

Most sought after are unused chequebooks issued by former British banking brands such as Lloyds or Barclays, now both trading under the name of their parent group, the Bank of Nigeria."

"Today, almost 60pc of payments are made via mobile phones.
    This take-up was faster than expected, given that Britain’s first concerted mobile payments project – where customers’ phone numbers were linked to their bank accounts to facilitate payments – was rolled out in the early months of 2014 .

Former bank branches now make some of the most desirable homes in market towns and villages. But no one dreams of counter service.

With Tesco being Britain’s biggest bank, those few customers who do need to make cash deposits or withdrawals tend to use the in-store checkouts, or transact at their door when their delivery arrives.

A decade ago, at the beginning of 2014, there were 9,500 bank branches. Go back 30 years, to 1994, and there were almost 18,000. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10531374/Our-predictions-for-2014-How-about-2024....html

That's a bit of a rubbish future if we're still using banks 15 years after the invention of crypto-currencies.

Where I agree is that I want to live in an abandoned bank.
  • Options
    They're already converting banks into residential property:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29741251.html

I suppose it makes a change from trendy wine bars.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Must be a bugger to be locked up two days before christmas.

An unfortunate choice of adjective…!
  • Options
  • Options
    Shell to sell off £18bn in assets after profits tumble
    Oil giant is to start a sale of up to $30bn (£18bn) of assets next year after weak refining margins and oil theft in Nigeria caused a sharp fall in profits

Assets on the chopping block include a $7bn stake in Woodside Petroleum, Australia’s second largest oil and gas producer; oil assets in the Niger Delta worth $2bn; and other assets totalling $20bn, according to oil and gas analysts from JP Morgan Cazenove.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/10533740/Shell-to-sell-off-18bn-in-assets-after-profits-tumble.html
  • Options
    Financier said:

Shell to sell off £18bn in assets after profits tumble
    Oil giant is to start a sale of up to $30bn (£18bn) of assets next year after weak refining margins and oil theft in Nigeria caused a sharp fall in profits

Assets on the chopping block include a $7bn stake in Woodside Petroleum, Australia’s second largest oil and gas producer; oil assets in the Niger Delta worth $2bn; and other assets totalling $20bn, according to oil and gas analysts from JP Morgan Cazenove.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/10533740/Shell-to-sell-off-18bn-in-assets-after-profits-tumble.html

Some Def-Pros seem to be very down-beat about Oz. With industry being hollowed-out due to the country's resources I cannot see a future for Australia outwith as a Chinese vassal-state.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

I would be seriously disappointed if spilling flour was the extent of the fun if Nigella came around. Even my wife might forgive me that one.

I look forward to the Lawson family revenge in the New Year. Dominic came out firing in the ST yesterday. Mr Saatchi may come to regret this.
    I must say I'm sick of hearing all the special pleading on behalf of Nigella. She was treated no differently to any other witness and whose credibility - as the trial judge pointed out - was relevant to the Grillo sisters' defence. The fact that they were acquitted may say something about the jury's view of Nigella's credibility. She - and her defenders - seem to take the view that she should be beyond criticism. But it was her and her husband's employees who were on trial and the case only came to court because they chose to make an issue of it.

I have been involved in lots of trials and in all of them the issue of the credibility of the witnesses is - to a greater or lesser extent - an issue, as it needs to be if the defendants are to have a fair trial. This last point seems to have been forgotten in all the brouhaha concocted by those who seem to think that grand people - or those who think themselves grand - should not be subject to the same laws as everyone else.

• Options

Talking of betting:

So if the reporting got this right there's no judicial process, just the decision of a politician?
    "Citizenship is a privilege, not a right, and the Home Secretary will remove British citizenship from individuals where she feels it is conducive to the public good to do so"
    You guys are all being conducive to the public good, aren't you?
This discussion has been closed.