Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Christmas Game: Part II

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited December 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Christmas Game: Part II

Many thanks to Harry Hayfield, for providing the fun for Christmas Day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Number eight makes me think that's what Abraham Lincoln's face would look like if he was an Easter Island statue.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Number ten is pretty easy since the island is rather obvious.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Is Number 9 Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath?
  • Options
    Seven = Faversham and Mid Kent
  • Options

Is Number 9 Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath?

It is, I'll post the rest of the answers around 6.30 tonight.
  • Options
    Ten = Arfon
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Six is Broxbourne, I think
  • Options
    Is 8 Hull North?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Six is Broxbourne, I think

I concur!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Is 8 Hull North?

Nah, where's the Humber?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    #7 looks like he outline of the Sphinx.
  • Options
    Seven is Faversham & Mid-Kent.

Eight is Brent North.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Is 8 Hull North?

Nah, where's the Humber?
    Hiding, just out of shot....
  • Options
    Tangent said:

Seven is Faversham & Mid-Kent.

Eight is Brent North.

I already said 7 :)
  • Options
    Tangent said:

Eight is Brent North.

Wrong shape!
  • Options
    OK I know what 8 is!

Birmingham Perry Bar

The give away was the M6/M5 junction at top left!
  • Options

OK I know what 8 is!

Birmingham Perry Bar

The give away was the M6/M5 junction at top left!

I concur!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Merry Christmas all
  • Options
    The answers are

Number Six: Broxbourne
    Number Seven: Faversham and Kent Mid
    Number Eight: Birmingham, Perry Barr
    Number Nine: Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath
    Number Ten: Arfon
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Not long till the test :) Looks like the Cybermen have invaded though !
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    A somewhat late piece of shopping advice -

my daughter bought me a Nike Dallas Cowboys #8 Troy Aikman jersey for Christmas. I know for a fact it's $95 at the NFLshop site or in the store. Like me she refuses to pay more than $30 for sports shirts.

She paid $21 for it. It's brand new, genuine Nike down to the attached 'genuine Nike' tag attached to it, and the packing it arrives in.

They also have Premier League and major European club home and away jerseys.

So check out 21jerseys.com. They charge shipping for < 10 items.

I have no association with it other than as a happy customer.
  • Options
    Plato said:
    I couldn't help it - my mind immediately thought of this: look for the Jaguar ad and read the copy, then read the tear off on the ad later in the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7oqz6Ykpd0
  • Options
    - and from the same movie, a hilarious ad campaign for Metamucil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MraSZ8NA-f8
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Clarke is going for a bowl o_O
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Merry Christmas, Nick.

I can see your interest.

Today's Britain might have ended up as a modest north European social democratic republic – like Denmark without a prince.

At least Scotland has the opportunity to make this outcome factual.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Fitaloon and I just want to wish the whole PB community a very Happy Christmas, hope you all had a lovely fun filled day. x
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Although this particular example is a bit meh, alternative histories can be fascinating.

There are a couple of PBers including stodge and myself contributing over here:
    http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/

Some of the finished timelines read like books and can be utterly absorbing. The research which goes into many of them is astonishing, and the nitpicking and pedantry from bystanders would put even PB to shame.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    NickPalmer

Another interesting question is why the current UK state has decided to place so much emphasis on the outbreak of WWI. It has all the symptoms of a state defining its creation (or its rationale) myth.

Every country needs such a myth, and for many years, the Empire provided that since Scotland didn't so much unite with England in 1707, but with the English Empire (out of which we did rather well financially).

With the end of Empire, the raison d'etre of the UK disappeared. A sensible series of London Governments would have set about establishing a new mythology, and the structure to support that) - but failed to recognise the need to do so.

Many on my side of the independence debate recognise that the UK could have been made to work after WWII, but that there was no will to do so in Westminster (or perhaps Whitehall?)

England doesn't need the Somme etc to be given such mythological significance - nor do the other parts of the UK. Only the UK as an institution would try to self-define itself on such a basis - and to do so makes it even more irrelevant in the 21st century.

• Options
    Happy Christmas PBers!

I'm feeling happy because the lovely Lukwesa Burak is now following me on Twitter. (She's a Sky News presenter).
  • Options
    "Jonny Bairstow replaces Matt Prior for the 4th Ashes Test; Monty Panesar in for retired Graeme Swann, #Ashes #Cricket":

mobile.twitter.com/SKYLukwesaBurak/tweets
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    AndyJS said:

"Jonny Bairstow replaces Matt Prior for the 4th Ashes Test; Monty Panesar in for retired Graeme Swann, #Ashes #Cricket":

mobile.twitter.com/SKYLukwesaBurak/tweets

So much for the theory I've seen a few times that Swann dropping out made Prior's place safer as they wouldn't lose two of the old guard in one go. A good thing, though.

Cook's not made a good start to the day.

• Options
    84,000 in the Melbourne Cricket Ground at the moment. That's nearly three times the capacity of Lords.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    oldnat said:

NickPalmer

Another interesting question is why the current UK state has decided to place so much emphasis on the outbreak of WWI. It has all the symptoms of a state defining its creation (or its rationale) myth.

Every country needs such a myth, and for many years, the Empire provided that since Scotland didn't so much unite with England in 1707, but with the English Empire (out of which we did rather well financially).

With the end of Empire, the raison d'etre of the UK disappeared. A sensible series of London Governments would have set about establishing a new mythology, and the structure to support that) - but failed to recognise the need to do so.

Many on my side of the independence debate recognise that the UK could have been made to work after WWII, but that there was no will to do so in Westminster (or perhaps Whitehall?)

England doesn't need the Somme etc to be given such mythological significance - nor do the other parts of the UK. Only the UK as an institution would try to self-define itself on such a basis - and to do so makes it even more irrelevant in the 21st century.

"The rise and fall of civilisations in the long, broad course of history can be seen largely to be a function of the integrity and cogency of their supporting canons of myth; for not authority but aspiration is the motivator, builder, and transformer of civilisation. A mythological canon is an organisation of symbols, ineffable in import, by which the energies of aspiration are evoked and gathered toward a focus".

My dear Joseph "oldnat" Campbell, your absence from PB has had a deleterious effect on the intellectual justification for your nationalism. Had you remained here and subjected yourself to the daily cynicism of the wise men of PB, then you would not be claiming that the Battle of the Somme has had mythological significance foisted upon it by London governments in an attempt to justify a continuing relevance of the 1707 Union.

Your mentor made this clear when he spoke of the "pathology ... [of] political interpretation of myths to the advantage of one group within a society, or one society within a group of nations.”

The 1707 Union was with the 'English Empire' not England? Surely this an attempt by the Scottish Nationalists to do their own post hoc political interpretation of events in order to create new myth?

And when did this English, and post-Union British, Empire end? Is there a date in the history books which closes the Empire chapter? August 1914 seems to be too early: a milestone maybe but not a journey's end.

If the Somme has mythological significance it is that which derives from the sacrifice of a lost generation and the need for its rebirth in a new social order. The Tommy or Jock who died in the mud of Flanders was Everyman, not a 19th century romantic nationalist.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Christmas Quiz question: Who first became an official statistic on Christmas Day 2001?
This discussion has been closed.