Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At last news a survey on EU2014 – next May’s national cont

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At last news a survey on EU2014 – next May’s national contest that nobody seems to want to poll

On May 22nd next year the whole of the UK will be voting in the elections for the European Parliament yet there’s been very little media coverage and almost no polling. Whilst we have eight or nine Westminster VI polls a week you had until tonight to go back until early October to find the last EP2014 survey.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    If UKIP do beat the Tories will that be the first time in history the Tories have been beaten by another party which is to their right in a national poll?

Also, hope everyone had a good Christmas, I went to Rome for a few days beforehand and managed to catch the Pope's Sunday address in St Peter's Square
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited December 2013
    So the changes from the last poll means, Sleazy broken Labour on the slide?

Also, the Daily Star commissioning polling?

This gives me the perfect excuse to visit the Daily Star website.
  • Options
    I blame the Scots.

Newspapers have a finite budget for polling, and in 2014, whatever the outcome, the IndyRef, is the definitive polling event of 2014, not the Euros.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Labour only got 29% at this years local elections. I'd expect their Euro election result to be lower.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Can someone better at the technicals than me say whether UKIP are up or down from the last poll once you factor in the different turnout weightings? Or are these just the same responses with different filters?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    Even though a Labour win in the Euros would be my worst result on the night, it would have the silver lining of boosting their confidence for GE2015. (and making them likely winners).
    Well actually LD win would be worst result but pigs will fly if that happens
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Labour only got 29% at this years local elections. I'd expect their Euro election result to be lower.

This year's council elections were in the most Conservative parts of England as were those in 2009 , next year's council elections will be in the most Labour parts of England ,
  • Options

This year's council elections were in the most Conservative parts of England as were those in 2009 , next year's council elections will be in the most Labour parts of England ,
    Mark, lets not cloud the issue with facts.
  • Options
    Labour got 15.7% in 2009 , they'll be doing well to get 20% in 2014.
  • Options

I think he's talking about the Rallings and Thrasher national equivalent share of the vote.

From May this year

Rallings & Thrasher data for today’s Sunday Times which has the pair’s own national equivalent vote share projections based on their detailed analysis of the outcome on Thursday. This has CON 26%, LAB 29%, LD 13%, Ukip 22%

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/05/exactly-two-years-to-the-day-after-the-av-referendum-this-is-how-rallings-and-thrasher-project-ge2015/
  • Options
    edited December 2013

1. Labour/Con/LD 2009 EU election vote share was lower than their 2009 local elections vote share.
    2. The local election results are normalised to minimise bias.

• Options
    Nearly half of Britons say they are angry with politics and politicians, according to a Guardian/ICM poll analysing the disconnect between British people and their democracy.

The research, which explores the reasons behind the precipitous drop in voter turnout – particularly among under-30s – finds that it is anger with the political class and broken promises made by high-profile figures that most rile voters, rather than boredom with Westminster.

Asked for the single word best describing "how or what you instinctively feel" about politics and politicians in general, 47% of respondents answered "angry", against 25% who said they were chiefly "bored".

Negative sentiments vastly outnumber positive, with only 16% reporting feeling "respectful" towards people doing a difficult job, while a vanishingly small proportion of 2% claim to feel "inspired".

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/26/fury-mps-not-voting-poll
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

I think he's talking about the Rallings and Thrasher national equivalent share of the vote.

From May this year

Rallings & Thrasher data for today’s Sunday Times which has the pair’s own national equivalent vote share projections based on their detailed analysis of the outcome on Thursday. This has CON 26%, LAB 29%, LD 13%, Ukip 22%

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/05/exactly-two-years-to-the-day-after-the-av-referendum-this-is-how-rallings-and-thrasher-project-ge2015/
    The calculations of NEV share are very dubious in a year such as 2013 when the elections being fought are particularly unrepresentative of the country as a whole
  • Options
    On a another subject.......anyone seen the polling crossover recently? It was promised many times last year, however, it is still as common as a Tory discussing the rise of food banks. Polling crossover....the "look squirrel" moment for Tories.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    Quincel said:

Can someone better at the technicals than me say whether UKIP are up or down from the last poll once you factor in the different turnout weightings? Or are these just the same responses with different filters?

Because of the changes in turnout weightings this is probably a worse poll for UKIP than the October one .

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    **************************Happy Boxing Day***********************

A series of yellow boxes to celebrate. This time derived from the SWIFT Index which has proved this year to be one of the most accurate forecasters of GDP growth.

SWIFT bases its forecasts on an analysis of aggregate SWIFT payments, so it has an early insight into mainly Business to Business payment traffic with a strong skew towards international payments.

The SWIFTIndex model makes three forecast predictions for the Quarter following the current quarter and three 'nowcast' predictions for the current Quarter. It's last prediction comes a few days before the ONS (in the UK) announces its 'First Estimate' of GDP for the prior quarter.

The model uses supplementary data released by the ONS to produce the final of its three 'nowcast' forecasts. This can lead to a substantial change between Nowcast 2 & 3 as happened in the UK in Q2 2013.

SWIFT produce GDP forecasts for the UK, Germany, US, OECD (Total) and Europe (EU 28).

Following the change in forecasts through the three forecasts and nowcasts is a good way to pick trends in confidence. The current quarter, for example, is showing declines in rates of GDP growth in all countries and aggregates.

So, at this stage, the prospects for Q4 2013 growth in the UK matching the 0.8% recorded for Q3 are declining.

The boxes for each measure will follow this post.
  • Options
    ***************************United Kingdom************************
    SWIFT Index - November 2012 to November 2013                    
    GDP Growth estimated
    Outcomes from OECD (Expenditure Approach)
    QoQ = Quarter on Previous Quarter;
    YoY = Quarter on Same Quarter Previous Year

United Kingdom
    | Actual | Nowcast | Forecast
    | | 3 2 1 | 3 2 1
    Period | | |
    2014 Q1 QoQ(%) | | | 0.6 0.6
    YoY(%) | | | 2.4 2.6
    | | |
    2013 Q4 QoQ(%) | | 0.3 0.5 | 0.5 0.5 0.4
    YoY(%) | | 2.2 2.3 | 2.2 2.3 1.7
    | | |
    2013 Q3 QoQ(%) | 0.8 | 0.7 0.8 0.5 | 0.8 1.3 1.0
    YoY(%) | 1.5 | 1.4 1.5 1.0 | 1.5 1.4 1.1
    | | |
    2013 Q2 QoQ(%) | 0.7 | 0.7 0.1 0.1 | 0.0 -0.1 0.3
    YoY(%) | 1.3 | 1.4 1.1 1.1 | 1.6 1.6 1.6
    | | |
    2013 Q1 QoQ(%) | 0.4 | 1.0 1.0 0.6 | 0.6
    YoY(%) | 0.2 | 1.3 1.3 0.9 | 1.6
  • Options
    *******************************Germany***************************
    GDP Growth estimated

Germany
    | | 3 2 1 | 3 2 1
    Period | | |
    2014 Q1 QoQ(%) | | | 0.3 0.3
    YoY(%) | | | 1.6 1.6
    | | |
    2013 Q4 QoQ(%) | | 0.2 0.3 | 0.4 0.4 0.3
    YoY(%) | | 1.3 1.4 | 1.5 1.7 1.3
    | | |
    2013 Q3 QoQ(%) | 0.3 | 0.4 0.5 0.3 | 0.4 0.3 0.3
    YoY(%) | 0.6 | 0.6 0.8 0.4 | 0.1 0.0 0.9
    | | |
    2013 Q2 QoQ(%) | 0.7 | 0.4 0.3 0.3 | 0.3 0.4 0.3
    YoY(%) | 0.5 | -0.1 -0.1 0.9 | 0.9 1.0 0.4
    | | |
    2013 Q1 QoQ(%) | 0.0 | 0.9 0.9 0.5 | 0.5
    YoY(%) | -0.3 | 0.8 0.8 0.4 | 0.7
  • Options
    The Times' Briton of the Year is ::drum roll::

George Osborne.
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-accuses-food-bank-charity-the-trussell-trust-of-scaremongering-9021150.html

As someone who helped in one yesterday, I am struggling to describe IDS without getting banned from here. Two words. Total bastard.
  • Options
    ****************************United States************************
    GDP Growth estimated

United States
    | | 3 2 1 | 3 2 1
    Period | | |
    2014 Q1 QoQ(%) | | | 0.3 0.4
    YoY(%) | | | 2.1 2.2
    | | |
    2013 Q4 QoQ(%) | | 0.3 0.5 | 0.6 0.5 0.4
    YoY(%) | | 2.0 2.1 | 1.6 2.0 1.5
    | | |
    2013 Q3 QoQ(%) | 0.9 | 0.4 0.6 0.4 | 0.3 0.3 0.7
    YoY(%) | 2.0 | 1.9 1.6 1.2 | 0.0 0.0 1.6
    | | |
    2013 Q2 QoQ(%) | 0.6 | 0.3 0.3 0.2 | 0.1 0.2 0.5
    YoY(%) | 1.6 | -0.1 -0.1 1.7 | 1.3 1.6 2.1
    | | |
    2013 Q1 QoQ(%) | 0.3 | 0.5 0.6 0.9 | 0.4
    YoY(%) | 1.3 | 1.5 1.7 1.9 | 2.4
  • Options
    "Since April more than 500,000 people, of which one third are children, have received emergency supplies from the 400 food banks run by the Trussell Trust charity and it has asked on a number of occasions for meetings with Department for Work and Pensions ministers.".....yes, UK is booming Aver LP.......depending what your tax code is. I don't expect you to understand, as everything to you is figures.
  • Options
    http://rt.com/news/red-cross-food-aid-uk-080/

Avery LP, wonder why the Red Cross is distributing parcels if the country is doing so well. Yes the UK is booming, depending what your tax code is.
  • Options
    *****************************OECD Total**************************
    GDP Growth estimated

OECD
    | | 3 2 1 | 3 2 1
    Period | | |
    2014 Q1 QoQ(%) | | | 0.5 0.4
    YoY(%) | | | 1.9 2.2
    | | |
    2013 Q4 QoQ(%) | | 0.4 0.3 | 0.3 0.5 0.4
    YoY(%) | | 1.7 1.4 | 1.5 2.0 1.6
    | | |
    2013 Q3 QoQ(%) | 0.9 | 0.3 0.6 0.4 | 0.2 0.2 0.3
    YoY(%) | 1.4 | 1.1 1.6 1.1 | 0.8 1.0 0.9
    | | |
    2013 Q2 QoQ(%) | 0.6 | 0.3 0.4 0.0 | 0.2 0.4 0.3
    YoY(%) | 1.0 | 0.9 1.0 1.0 | 1.1 1.1 1.7
    | | |
    2013 Q1 QoQ(%) | 0.3 | 0.8 0.7 0.8 | 0.5
    YoY(%) | 0.6 | 1.1 0.9 1.6 | 1.3
  • Options
    ****************************Europe (EU 28)***********************
    GDP Growth estimated

Europe (EU 28)
    | | 3 2 1 | 3 2 1
    Period | | |
    2014 Q1 QoQ(%) | | | 0.2 0.1
    YoY(%) | | | 0.8 0.9
    | | |
    2013 Q4 QoQ(%) | | 0.1 0.2 | 0.2 0.3 0.3
    YoY(%) | | 0.6 0.7 | 0.7 0.9 0.8
    | | |
    2013 Q3 QoQ(%) | 0.2 | 0.3 0.3 0.3 | 0.2 0.3 0.2
    YoY(%) | 0.1 | 0.1 0.2 0.0 | -0.1 -0.3 -0.1
    | | |
    2013 Q2 QoQ(%) | 0.4 | 0.3 0.0 0.1 | 0.1 0.1 0.1
    YoY(%) | -0.1 | -0.3 -0.5 0.6 | 0.6 0.6 0.2
    | | |
    2013 Q1 QoQ(%) | -0.1 | 0.9 0.9 0.2 | 0.3
    YoY(%) | -0.8 | 0.4 0.4 0.0 | 0.1
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Avery LP, wonder why the Red Cross is distributing parcels if the country is doing so well. Yes the UK is booming, depending what your tax code is.

Probably for the same reason Santa has been distributing red stockings, compouter.

I hope you haven't been short changed this year.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

George Osborne.

NI getting desperate as the election approaches and the Labour lead shows no sign of disappearing.
  • Options
    Avery LP, you post figures highlighted in yellow. I post real life details. That is the difference. Enjoying your top rate tax cut?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25108891
  • Options

George Osborne.

We need to petition Pope Francis to commence the beatification process.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

On a another subject.......anyone seen the polling crossover recently? It was promised many times last year, however, it is still as common as a Tory discussing the rise of food banks. Polling crossover....the "look squirrel" moment for Tories.

How many sites do you troll on, is it just PB or are there others?
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    Though, here is a good news story (for some) for you Avery LP. Never say I don't look at both ends of the spectrum.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/326c359c-5857-11e3-985e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ocFphgzj
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @compouter1

It's a question of mind over matter,
    The poor don't matter, and IDS doesn't mind
  • Options

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-accuses-food-bank-charity-the-trussell-trust-of-scaremongering-9021150.html

As someone who helped in one yesterday, I am struggling to describe IDS without getting banned from here. Two words. Total bastard.

"The Trussell Trust’s Executive Chairman, Chris Mould, is a member of the Labour Party but this does not mean that The Trussell Trust is affiliated to the Labour Party either."

You bet.
  • Options

Apologies. I know these days this place is a right wing talk shop and you have managed to get rid of most of the left wing posters, however, I enjoy reading about the imminent polling crossovers that just hasn't happened.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

George Osborne.

NI getting desperate as the election approaches and the Labour lead shows no sign of disappearing.
    Wait there Avery LP said there would be a polling crossover by Xmas......what happened there?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

George Osborne.

Wait there Avery LP said there would be a polling crossover by Xmas......what happened there?
    Never mind crossover.The Tories didn`t get a single lead across any pollster last year,the last year that happened was 2002.
  • Options

"The Trussell Trust’s Executive Chairman, Chris Mould, is a member of the Labour Party but this does not mean that The Trussell Trust is affiliated to the Labour Party either."

You bet.
    Moniker, I notice you didn't copy and paste the previous sentences to those you copied.....I wonder why?

I will post the full details seeing as you didnt:

Are rumours that The Trussell Trust was founded by Conservative councillor Noel Atkins true? Is The Trussell Trust affiliated to the Conservative party?
    There are some misleading blogs circulating online that suggest that The Trussell Trust is in some way affiliated to the Conservative Party, which is completely untrue: The Trussell Trust is an a-political charity that receives no government funding.
    A former trustee was a Conservative councillor but he was not a founding member (he was in post from 2007 – 2012) and his role as councillor was entirely separate to his role as trustee at The Trussell Trust. The Trussell Trust’s Executive Chairman, Chris Mould, is a member of the Labour Party but this does not mean that The Trussell Trust is affiliated to the Labour Party either. Trustees are appointed to govern charities and have an individual as well as collective responsibility to exercise proper independence in their discharge of those duties – i.e they cannot allow personal political or professional connections to guide them when carrying out duties as trustees.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

George Osborne.

Never mind crossover.The Tories didn`t get a single lead across any pollster last year,the last year that happened was 2002.
    Err......Look, Squirrel!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Probably for the same reason Santa has been distributing red stockings, compouter.

Nice to see you making light of people in need. You should have been on the Tory benches laughing about people going to foodbanks. You would have fitted right in.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Apologies. I know these days this place is a right wing talk shop and you have managed to get rid of most of the left wing posters, however, I enjoy reading about the imminent polling crossovers that just hasn't happened.
    Oh really and how have these "left wing" posters been got rid of ? I think you should apologise to the site owner before casting such aspersions.
  • Options

Oh really and how have these "left wing" posters been got rid of ? I think you should apologise to the site owner before casting such aspersions.
    Who blamed the site owner? Those who have been here the last few months will know what has been happening.

On the bright side, the majority of time it leaves the Tories arguing with Kippers. Very entertaining.
  • Options

"Since April more than 500,000 people, of which one third are children, have received emergency supplies from the 400 food banks run by the Trussell Trust charity and it has asked on a number of occasions for meetings with Department for Work and Pensions ministers.".....yes, UK is booming Aver LP.......depending what your tax code is. I don't expect you to understand, as everything to you is figures.

Out of interest how much blame for the difficulties of this country do you attribute to the Labour party. Or are you one of these who thinks all our problems began in 2010? I'll politely suggest that there would be far fewer people using food banks if the Labour party hadn't handed over an utter shambles of an economy.

Rather than calling IDS a 'total bastard'. You should be thanking us for clearing up the mess that the left inevitably leaves behind.
  • Options

The D Star/Survation that has tonight's EP2014 figures also had Westminster voting intention

CON 29

LAB 36

LD 9

UKP 18

Fieldwork end Nov

Which by my reckoning the changes from the last Survation poll in October are

Con nc

Lab +1

LD -3

UKIP +1
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@compouter1

Despite all Camerons crap, has the poor ever mattered to the Tory Party?

They are a bleed to the GDP figures, who spend all their life on welfare and give nothing to society?

OOhh I am feeling all Osborne.

• Options
    edited December 2013

AveryLP said:

Nice to see you making light of people in need. You should have been on the Tory benches laughing about people going to foodbanks. You would have fitted right in.
    Compouter

I hold the Trussell Trust in the highest regard and fully appreciate all the charitable work they are doing through their food banks.

Indeed, after my Aunt told me on Christmas Day that some of the food banks stock Ferrero Rocher, I have even undertaken to visit them in person.

I can think of no higher endorsement from a Tory.

• Options

The D Star/Survation that has tonight's EP2014 figures also had Westminster voting intention

CON 29

LAB 36

LD 9

UKP 18

Fieldwork end Nov

Which by my reckoning the changes from the last Survation poll in October are

Con nc

Lab +1

LD -3

UKIP +1

Broken sleazy Labour on the slide.....oh, wait there.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

As much as I dislike the Tory party, that's a bit rich coming from a cheerleader for the party that was in power during the years that fecked the country up.

Unless you're saying that Labour share no blame whatsoever?

• Options

I want to know what happened to it's RedRag1 moniker...?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@compouter1

Despite all Camerons crap, has the poor ever mattered to the Tory Party?

They are a bleed to the GDP figures, who spend all their life on welfare and give nothing to society?

OOhh I am feeling all Osborne.

From 2004

Rich-poor gap 'has widened under Blair'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/aug/02/socialexclusion.politics

Or from 2009

Gap between rich and poor has widened under Labour

The gap between the richest and poorest in society has widened since Labour came to power in 1997, according to a new study from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/4799689/Gap-between-rich-and-poor-has-widened-under-Labour.html

Or from 2010

Rich-poor divide 'wider than 40 years ago'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8481534.stm
  • Options

Out of interest how much blame for the difficulties of this country do you attribute to the Labour party. Or are you one of these who thinks all our problems began in 2010? I'll politely suggest that there would be far fewer people using food banks if the Labour party hadn't handed over an utter shambles of an economy.

Rather than calling IDS a 'total bastard'. You should be thanking us for clearing up the mess that the left inevitably leaves behind.
    Obviously Labour was part of the problem or they would not have started up if the problem was not there. However, the advance on the numbers of foodbanks popping up is a shame on our country. The fact that the minister refuses to meet with the very people who are trying to help the poorest of society sums him up. The fact he fucked off when they were discussing it at parliament shames his party.

But hey, who gives a toss about these people who use the foodbank, because it is not you.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Compouter

I hold the Trussell Trust in the highest regard and fully appreciate all the charitable work they are doing through their food banks.

Indeed, after my Aunt told me on Christmas Day that some of the food banks stock Ferrero Rocher, I have even undertaken to visit them in person.

Then why wont IDS meet with them and why does the idiot declare they are being political?
  • Options

I want to know what happened to it's RedRag1 moniker...?
    So do I.
  • Options
    John Harris and The Guardian are talking about my old constituency

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/26/voter-apathy-manchester-john-harris
  • Options
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas. My Dec 27th wish is for England to get up to 320.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Compouter

Then why wont IDS meet with them and why does the idiot declare they are being political?
    Dunno, compouter.

Perhaps IDS doesn't like Ferrero Rocher.

• Options

Obviously Labour was part of the problem or they would not have started up if the problem was not there. However, the advance on the numbers of foodbanks popping up is a shame on our country. The fact that the minister refuses to meet with the very people who are trying to help the poorest of society sums him up. The fact he fucked off when they were discussing it at parliament shames his party.

But hey, who gives a toss about these people who use the foodbank, because it is not you.
    Who said I didn't give a toss? I'd be grateful if you could find any evidence of that, otherwise we can both assume you're just making things up. I suspect he didn't hang around at the debate because the Labour party were solely interested in using food banks for political gain. Evidenced by the fact they have come forward with nothing practical that would help address the issue.

Perhaps you could tell us what the easy answers are though? A grateful nation awaits.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. My Dec 27th wish is for England to get up to 320.

I think next summer England's test keeper is going to be Jos Buttler.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Wow - 18 out of 57 posts so far from Compouter. Panic is clearly setting in and they've not really had any bad polls yet.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

Nearly half of Britons say they are angry with politics and politicians, according to a Guardian/ICM poll analysing the disconnect between British people and their democracy.

The research, which explores the reasons behind the precipitous drop in voter turnout – particularly among under-30s – finds that it is anger with the political class and broken promises made by high-profile figures that most rile voters, rather than boredom with Westminster.

Asked for the single word best describing "how or what you instinctively feel" about politics and politicians in general, 47% of respondents answered "angry", against 25% who said they were chiefly "bored".

Negative sentiments vastly outnumber positive, with only 16% reporting feeling "respectful" towards people doing a difficult job, while a vanishingly small proportion of 2% claim to feel "inspired".

IMO that's an even more interesting polls than the Euro poll, since it really shows how fed up the electorate is. I think UKIP will surprise on the upside at the GE due to differential turnout. The Euros will be a close-run thing between UKIP and Labour. Ironically, Tory planners probably need Labour to win if they can't win themselves.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Could i politely point out that Leicester City are top of the league?

• Options

AveryLP said:

Poor old Compouter, he forgot about this lot:

http://order-order.com/2013/12/19/shamed-pictures-of-mps-laughing-in-food-bank-debate/
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited December 2013
    Compouter

Watch your language.

Repeated bad language, sets off the spam trap, and automatically restricts your ability to instantly post.
  • Options

Who said I didn't give a toss? I'd be grateful if you could find any evidence of that, otherwise we can both assume you're just making things up. I suspect he didn't hang around at the debate because the Labour party were solely interested in using food banks for political gain. Evidenced by the fact they have come forward with nothing practical that would help address the issue.

Perhaps you could tell us what the easy answers are though? A grateful nation awaits.
    The fact that the minister didn't speak, members of his party were sneering when people were telling of experiences of foodbanks, and then he just walks out, sums everything up to me.

But hey, the economy is roaring.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Compouter, using food banks to score political points is flawed. Whilst it makes for a good headline, since the introduction of them in the first decade of this century they've increased in number significantly every year. Demand has never been met. This began in the false boom of Labour.

On-topic, I'm staggered. If you trust Labour to be tough on the EU then you're a damned fool. If you want a federalist EU-phile party then vote Lib Dem.

I'm still planning on voting UKIP.
  • Options
    felix said:

Wow - 18 out of 57 posts so far from Compouter. Panic is clearly setting in and they've not really had any bad polls yet.

Go hump yourself Felix.

I will withdraw and observe. Right wing talk shop can continue.
  • Options

Could i politely point out that Leicester City are top of the league?

It can't last, Fox, you know it can't.

• Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013

Compouter

Watch your language.

Repeated bad language, sets off the spam trap, and automatically restricts your ability to instantly post.

Apologies. Idiots posting figures when I have been dealing with real life grates a little.

I will leave the rest of the night to the PB Hodges and Kippers.
  • Options

The fact that the minister didn't speak, members of his party were sneering when people were telling of experiences of foodbanks, and then he just walks out, sums everything up to me.

So you don't think a strong economy and reduced unemployment is a prerequisite for getting the country back on its feet? You're very good at criticising but you don't seem to have a single sensible solution.

And I take it you haven't found the bit where I said I didn't give a toss? Was that just made up?
  • Options

The Euros will be a close-run thing between UKIP and Labour. Ironically, Tory planners probably need Labour to win if they can't win themselves.

Does it really matter to the Conservatives GE chances if UKIP win the EU elections?

• Options

I think you are right, nothing I've seen of Bairstow would convince me he is either a Test batsman or keeper. Butler is an exciting batsman and with Stokes at six we have some flair players in the middle order. Bresnan irritates me as he is quite good at everything but not particularly good at one thing.

If Borthwick shapes up with the ball he is another useful batsman and we would have Broad at nine, with a four prong seam attack and a leg spinner.

The player that really drives me mad is Root, they seem to go out of their way to accommodate him and not only does he not deliver he is slower than Boycott at his worst.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

IMO that's an even more interesting polls than the Euro poll, since it really shows how fed up the electorate is. I think UKIP will surprise on the upside at the GE due to differential turnout. The Euros will be a close-run thing between UKIP and Labour. Ironically, Tory planners probably need Labour to win if they can't win themselves.

I agree, and I find this interesting as well.

'Trust-gap' between young and old is widening, survey shows

Research by Ipsos Mori shows that only 46% of those born after 1982 trust the man or woman in the street to tell the truth

A widening "trust gap" between 20-somethings and older generations is emerging, according to research by Ipsos Mori, exclusively seen in advance by the Guardian.

On the same day that Guardian/ICM research on political disenchantment finds the electorate in angry mood, and younger voters especially switched off, Ipsos Mori's separate analysis concentrates on the psychological disposition thought to do most to foster civic and political engagement: trust. And it discovers that it is in short supply among the young.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/26/trust-gap-young-old-voters-survey?CMP=twt_fd
  • Options

So you don't think a strong economy and reduced unemployment is a prerequisite for getting the country back on its feet? You're very good at criticising but you don't seem to have a single sensible solution.

And I take it you haven't found the bit where I said I didn't give a toss? Was that just made up?
    I asked him a simple question a couple of weeks ago and he flatly refused to answer it, in fact I got banned when I continued to push it.

He is like all Lefties, very quick to criticise whilst never accepting any responsibility or offering any solutions.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

felix said:

Go hump yourself Felix.

I will withdraw and observe. Right wing talk shop can continue.
    Compouter

There is no need to be ashamed that a person of your acquaintance is living in a tent.

Tent rooms were elevated to the highest of fashion by a Corsican in the early 19th century. A blog I was reading recently explained:

Although there are 18th century examples, the taste for 'tent' rooms as well as for 'antique drapery' really took off in the Napoleonic period at the beginning of the 19th century. Firstly, there was the 'Egyptian campaign' led by Napoleon Bonaparte (as French General) between 1798 and 1802, which caused a huge fashion for all sorts of 'campaign' furniture, tent rooms, and lots of loose fabric hung over spears, arrows etc. Secondly, after he became Emperor in 1804, Napoleon took the artistic language of the Roman Empire as his prime decorative inspiration, both for architecture and for interior design. These two influences, the battle/campaign style and architecture of ancient Rome, changed the 'draped look' for ever, giving it a much more masculine character. From the cushioned atmosphere of an exotic 'harem', it became a manly and rather cold military style, albeit equally theatrical and romantic. Large scale draperies began to suggest power and wealth and were thought suitable for grand public rooms instead of merely for private boudoirs and bedrooms.

Examples can be found in our country's finest homes. including Windsor Castle and Carlton House.

I suggest you take advantage of your temporary absence from PB to surf to the following page which provides many notable examples of the fashion.

http://bit.ly/19OiedZ
  • Options

The Euros will be a close-run thing between UKIP and Labour. Ironically, Tory planners probably need Labour to win if they can't win themselves.

Does it really matter to the Conservatives GE chances if UKIP win the EU elections?

Well seeing as Con 2015 chances depend quite significantly on UKIP being squeezed back from whence they came, I'd imagine a UKIP win in 2014 would fire up the kippers and make that a decent amount more difficult. And let's not forget that the Tories want it to be as easy as possible to exclude Farage from the debates.
  • Options
    Mr. Quincel, whilst I think there's a decent correlation between UKIP and the Conservatives it's not a straightforward relationship. They get many WWC leftwing voters who would otherwise vote Labour. They're not just Conservative Plus.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Lucian_Fletcher

"My Dec 27th wish is for England to get up to 320."

BC or AD? Either seems a rather harsh judgement on our southern cousins - who are really quite modern in lots of ways.
  • Options

Ipsos Mori's separate analysis concentrates on the psychological disposition thought to do most to foster civic and political engagement: trust. And it discovers that it is in short supply among the young.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/26/trust-gap-young-old-voters-survey?CMP=twt_fd
    might be interesting to see if there is any correlation between trust and the area's "diversity". USA research suggests increased immigration would lead to reduced trust.

"In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/08/04/the_downside_of_diversity/
  • Options

Mr. Quincel, whilst I think there's a decent correlation between UKIP and the Conservatives it's not a straightforward relationship. They get many WWC leftwing voters who would otherwise vote Labour. They're not just Conservative Plus.

Undoubtedly true, but I still maintain they do more damage to the Tories than Labour electorally, even if it isn't exclusively to them. In any case, the blow to the Tories of a UKIP win than a Labour win is probably more because a UKIP win would help them so much more than it would harm Labour.
  • Options

Depends on how JB does in next three innings and behind the sticks. Looks likely.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Depends on how JB does in next three innings and behind the sticks. Looks likely.
    As much as it pains me to say this, a decent test match batsman should not be getting bowled as often Jonny Bairstow does.
  • Options

I think you are right, nothing I've seen of Bairstow would convince me he is either a Test batsman or keeper. Butler is an exciting batsman and with Stokes at six we have some flair players in the middle order. Bresnan irritates me as he is quite good at everything but not particularly good at one thing.

If Borthwick shapes up with the ball he is another useful batsman and we would have Broad at nine, with a four prong seam attack and a leg spinner.

The player that really drives me mad is Root, they seem to go out of their way to accommodate him and not only does he not deliver he is slower than Boycott at his worst.
    Root is a real talent. He's only 22. He's got 2 tons and his innings at Adelaide was excellent in what was otherwise a shocking performance.

There are a few players who are a more immediate problem than Root.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

600,000 unemployed EU citizens living in Britain at a cost of £1.5billion to the NHS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2457349/600-000-unemployed-EU-citizens-living-Britain-cost-1-5billion-NHS.html#ixzz2ocXx8Lra
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Options

Root is a real talent. He's only 22. He's got 2 tons and his innings at Adelaide was excellent in what was otherwise a shocking performance.

Agree, plus Root has been moved up and down the order like a whore's drawers.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

600,000 unemployed EU citizens living in Britain at a cost of £1.5billion to the NHS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2457349/600-000-unemployed-EU-citizens-living-Britain-cost-1-5billion-NHS.html#ixzz2ocXx8Lra

We went through this in October (when that article was published)

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/are_there_600000_unemployed_eu_migrants_in_the_uk-29237
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    hey @Compouter1 don't leave.

Stick around. We all welcome reasoned, passionate, even wholly biased blinkered debate.

As long as it is done with some wit and acuity.

At present I feel you are finding your way. But you have the makings of a great lefter with hugely important input into the national political debate.

Keep posting but remember a couple of things:

1. Not everyone is your sworn enemy.
    2. Poverty/Wealth is not binary; there are many shades in between.
    3. Likewise binary assignation of good/bad outcomes to Lab/Con or Con/Lab is fruitless.

Keep at is - we welcome your contributions.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    MikeK said:

Evening all :)

As with many other Mail stories, long on generalities and outrage and short on specifics. I'd be curious to know how many British citizens are registered unemployed in Spain, Greece, Portugal and elsewhere. I've never seen any figures.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

1% of people are foreign utilising 1% of our NHS budget.

What page of the UKIP manifesto will this stunning stat feature on?
  • Options

Compouter

Watch your language.

Apologies. Idiots posting figures when I have been dealing with real life grates a little.

I will leave the rest of the night to the PB Hodges and Kippers.
    Yep Labour always hate it when people post facts rather than anecdotal opinion. It so spoils their world view when they are forced to confront the reality of the mess their party created through 13 years of mismanagement.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

"

Foodbanks would have started up whoever were in power, the rise is oil prices in the Noughties would have seen to that.

The poor are always with us, as the old saying goes. Christian groups were always going to get involved once the idea gained currency. What's surprising is the demand for their services these foodbanks are finding. If things were hunky-dory they would have difficulty finding 'customers'.

I am all in favour of foodbanks. I regard it as the private distribution of welfare. Why should I give money to the Government to give to the poor - I can give it directly, thank you very much.

What's interesting is that IDS is hostile, while Labour is in favour. Surely it should be the other way round?

Reasons?

1. Foodbanks were originally set up to fill in the gaps in the Social Security system - delays in payments. So, the very existence of foodbanks implies the Social Security system isn't perfect, but what is? The increase in their use suggests another cause - the sanctioning of benefits as well as the expected rise in Social Security claimants during a recession.

2. Cynically, foodbanks contribute nothing to Conservative Party (or any other party) coffers, but the new breed of service companies do. This would explain why the Government refused the earmarking of aid to foodbanks, instead wanting the money going to private contractors for training the unemployed.

3. This isn't a Consevative Government. They are old-fashioned Corporatists who are only cutting back the State because of public finances, not out of conviction. They cannot stand people doing things without the Government involved or stealing credit.

Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise for foodbanks that the Tories want nothing to do with them.
  • Options

As much as it pains me to say this, a decent test match batsman should not be getting bowled as often Jonny Bairstow does.
    True. But MPV was a decent Test batsman who got bowled regularly. Admittedly, it was the latter averaging around 30 MPV that did that...
  • Options

I agree he is a talent but I believe he has been moved up and down in the last instance at Gooch's insistence, he loves him but Bell should be at three. And England need to get Gooch out of the camp as quickly as possible.

Root was very childish when he was out in the second innings at the WACA, wasting a review because he couldn't believe he was out.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

I like to keep you on your toes. After all, this is boxing day. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

1% of the NHS budget is in excess of a billion quid.

Why smear UKIP again, getting worried are we?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

1% of the NHS budget is in excess of a billion quid.

Why smear UKIP again, getting worried are we?
    Where's the smear? 1% of anything is 1%. It's nothing to get too het up about is it?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

I like to keep you on your toes. After all, this is boxing day. ;)
    It is indeed and having seen Dynaste not perform I am seeking solace in a political betting forum!

Wishing you a very happy Christmas and now off to bed!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

And will they be telling us how many UK citizens live in other EU countries and what is the saving on benefits, NHS etc arising through these people living abroad?
  • Options
  • Options
    The Financial Times and the Times of Israel think Turkish Premier, Erdogan, in deep doodoo.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/erdogan-struggles-to-contain-corruption-probe/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome
    Tomorrow’s Financial Times front page: Turkish PM faces fight for political survival http://polho.me/1crMbkD
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

IMO yes. Cameron is quoted as saying that the Conservatives can't win unless UKIP fall back to 5%. If they win a national election a year before the GE, they are unlikely to fall back that far. Conversely, if they come second to Labour (or even third), the Tories can portray them as a fading force - "they say they stand for EU withdrawal but they can't even win an EU election". While it'd be nice for Labour to win the EU vote, it's less crucial, since disappointed Labour voters are unlikely to vote Tory, but disappointed UKIP voters might.

I'm too partisan to hope that UKIP wins, of course, but I'd guess that Tory fire will be principle against them in the Euros.

This discussion has been closed.