Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Gove pushes Boris out off the top slot in ConHome’s latest

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

taffys said:

Sky have just announced that HMG is sending out a 16 page brochure in favour of the EU at a cost of £9.5million to the taxpayer. Liz Truss commented that HMG are responding to the public's desire for information and it is similar to the 1975 brochure produced by Harold Wilson and taxpayer funded. Robert Oxley of leave was interviewed and he couldn't contain his anger and gave an interview full of bile and totally irrational. My wife, who is not interested in politics and has not thought about the EU to date, became very angry on listening to him and described his interview as 'shocking'. Leave will lose this in a big way if this is the way they respond to remain's campaign

I wonder if the price tag will undo all the good of work of the brochure, and more.
    The brochure is to be delivered to all UK households with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland being left until after the 5th May. I think leave may try to make noises about the cost but they need to be careful that it is not seen as something they are scared of. The old expression 'you protest too much' comes to mind
    Don't agree at all, it is an absolute disgrace that £9.3m of taxpayers money is being wasted on this. The campaign is supposed to be fair but how can it be when Remain is being subsidized?
    I am sure committed leaver's see it as a disgrace but the people who matter are the undecided who seem to want information from the government and most probably will not be as affronted
    Of course it is going to be a fair and impartial source of propaganda information that the uncommitted can use to form a balanced view.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

taffys said:

Sky have just announced that HMG is sending out a 16 page brochure in favour of the EU at a cost of £9.5million to the taxpayer. Liz Truss commented that HMG are responding to the public's desire for information and it is similar to the 1975 brochure produced by Harold Wilson and taxpayer funded. Robert Oxley of leave was interviewed and he couldn't contain his anger and gave an interview full of bile and totally irrational. My wife, who is not interested in politics and has not thought about the EU to date, became very angry on listening to him and described his interview as 'shocking'. Leave will lose this in a big way if this is the way they respond to remain's campaign

I wonder if the price tag will undo all the good of work of the brochure, and more.
    The brochure is to be delivered to all UK households with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland being left until after the 5th May. I think leave may try to make noises about the cost but they need to be careful that it is not seen as something they are scared of. The old expression 'you protest too much' comes to mind
    Don't agree at all, it is an absolute disgrace that £9.3m of taxpayers money is being wasted on this. The campaign is supposed to be fair but how can it be when Remain is being subsidized?
    I am sure committed leaver's see it as a disgrace but the people who matter are the undecided who seem to want information from the government and most probably will not be as affronted
    You think it won't be biased then?

All the information people need is reflected in their everyday lives, as the steelworkers are finding out.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

taffys said:

All the information people need is reflected in their everyday lives, as the steelworkers are finding out.
    Oh I'm sure it will be 100% even-handed :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

How can anyone take a survey seriously when 16% of the respondents think that Fox is the answer to this country's problems?

I mean, really.

To be fair hardly anyone thinks Hunt suitable, so may be rabid but not bonkers!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The two latest polls, from YouGov and ICM, have both given the same result when you exclude DKs: Remain 50.6%, Leave 49.4%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#2016

Which puts us in the realms of it being a remain vote by virtue of how the Scots vote... fun times.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"Asad Shah death: Man admits killing shopkeeper because he 'disrespected' Islam"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35976958
  • Options
    This HMG brochure seems to have provoked leave's fury but what did they expect. HMG have an official position and this brochure promotes that. Leave need to put forward a uniform position of their own and campaign on that and to persuade the voter how they are going to prevent free movement of labour
  • Options
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

It's not fair. The game is to win at any cost. Which, at this rate, will mean losing the next General Election, as so many natural Tory supporters will sit on their hands in disgust in 2020.
    Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    At a time when tax and who does and does not pay it is a very sensitive issuer, hitting up the tax payer for 10 million is pretty stupid.

Its on a par with Dave's financial arrangements being a private matter.

Team Dave are extraordinarily leaden footed right now, on all fronts.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Unbelievable. Fortunately the electorate in 2016 is less deferential and trusting than that of 1975.
  • Options
    In 1975 the Govt brochure made many statements to the voters. Here is one .
    "There was a threat to employment in Britain from the movement in the Common Market towards an Economic & Monetary Union. This could have forced us to accept fixed exchange rates for the pound, restricting industrial growth and putting jobs at risk. This threat has been removed."

So the fixed exchange rates of the ERM never happened?
    There also was an implied promise that movement in the Common Market towards an Economic & Monetary Union was also off the table in that it would not threaten our growth and jobs etc.
    http://www.harvard-digital.co.uk/euro/pamphlet.htm#front
  • Options

MikeK said:

We ares soon to be smothered in governmental Remain leaflets. That Sucks!

I'm going to send mine in with my tax return and demand they knock .34p off my tax bill.
    Good to have a sense of humour
  • Options

taffys said:

No more biased than leave will be
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    DavidL said:

How can anyone take a survey seriously when 16% of the respondents think that Fox is the answer to this country's problems?

I mean, really.

Fox showed incredible arrogance and complacency when travelling around the world with a "friend" who appeared to have a semi-official capacity.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Barnesian said:

Cameron is in favour of TTIP. The European Parliament and literally millions of European citizens are not. https://stop-ttip.org/europeans-dont-want-investor-state-dispute-settlement-trade-agreements/ This UK government on its own would agree to it.

Brexit is a much bigger threat to the privatisation of the NHS than remaining in the EU which is unlikely to agree to ISDS.

Quite. I trust the EU to defend British interests much more than I trust our ideological government on this point. Yes, we elected our government - but I doubt if 1% of Tory voters were aware of the ISDS.
  • Options

This HMG brochure seems to have provoked leave's fury but what did they expect. HMG have an official position and this brochure promotes that. Leave need to put forward a uniform position of their own and campaign on that and to persuade the voter how they are going to prevent free movement of labour

Utter bollocks.
  • Options

taffys said:

People who receive Leave brochures won't be being asked to pay for them.

Actually neither will those receiving remain brochure, they will have already paid, even if they didn't want them.
  • Options

taffys said:

Are you paying for Leave campaign?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Dummy candidates in polls usually get some support. Stewart Lewis received 6% in an opinion poll for the Labour leadership despite the fact he didn't exist.

http://order-order.com/2015/06/18/ipsos-mori-stewart-lewis-polling-surprisingly-well/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,371

taffys said:

Of course Leave are biased - the salient point is they aren't tapping the taxpayer for £9 million to fund their propaganda.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016
    dr_spyn said:

Lower airfares, and roaming charges, is this really the best the UK government can do to encourage a Remain vote?

https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/why-the-government-believes-we-should-remain/improving-our-lives/

Interesting mistake/lie on the below page. If you are going to get the taxpayer to fund the leaflets at least make sure the information on them is accurate.
    An independent study commissioned by the Norwegian Government has calculated that Norway has had to incorporate approximately 75% of EU laws into Norwegian law in return for access to the EU’s Single Market. But, unlike the UK, Norway has no vote or veto in the creation of those rules
    https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/what-happens-if-we-leave/what-are-the-alternatives/

Turns out it is closer to 20% and not the 75% the Government claim:
    By contrast, the very latest count of the EU laws in force (today) stands at 23,076. As a percentage of that number, the EEA acquis of 4,957 acts currently stands at 21 percent. In effect, the EEA (and thus Norway) only has to adopt one in five of all EU laws – not the three-quarters that is claimed.
    http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85798
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Barnesian said:

Cameron is in favour of TTIP. The European Parliament and literally millions of European citizens are not. https://stop-ttip.org/europeans-dont-want-investor-state-dispute-settlement-trade-agreements/ This UK government on its own would agree to it.

Brexit is a much bigger threat to the privatisation of the NHS than remaining in the EU which is unlikely to agree to ISDS.

Quite. I trust the EU to defend British interests much more than I trust our ideological government on this point. Yes, we elected our government - but I doubt if 1% of Tory voters were aware of the ISDS.
    What does a largely harmless rural pasttime have to do with it?

http://www.isds.org.uk/
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Barnesian said:

The problem is if there is no equivalent of ISDS, then investors are not going to feel their rights are protected, and will take their money somewhere else.
  • Options

Utter bollocks.
    You seem to make my case
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,258
    edited April 2016

taffys said:

Not donating to either and at present undecided but finding leave's fury bit over the top to say the least
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

taffys said:

Are you a spokesman for HMG ?
    Every word you utter is in support of their actions on every subject.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MP_SE said:

Interesting mistake/lie on the below page. If you are going to get the taxpayer to fund the leaflets at least make sure the information on them is accurate.

An independent study commissioned by the Norwegian Government has calculated that Norway has had to incorporate approximately 75% of EU laws into Norwegian law in return for access to the EU’s Single Market. But, unlike the UK, Norway has no vote or veto in the creation of those rules
    https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/what-happens-if-we-leave/what-are-the-alternatives/

Turns out it is closer to 20% and not the 75% the Government claim:
    By contrast, the very latest count of the EU laws in force (today) stands at 23,076. As a percentage of that number, the EEA acquis of 4,957 acts currently stands at 21 percent. In effect, the EEA (and thus Norway) only has to adopt one in five of all EU laws – not the three-quarters that is claimed.
    http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85798

Or even 9%, see Dan Hannan today www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrMtxvVQAoI
  • Options

MikeK said:

We ares soon to be smothered in governmental Remain leaflets. That Sucks!

I'm going to send mine in with my tax return and demand they knock .34p off my tax bill.
    There could be a return to sender campaign:

Return to sender

If you get junk mail with a return address on the envelope, you should:

Write “unsolicited mail, return to sender” on the envelope.
    Post it - you don’t have to pay.
    This won’t guarantee that you won’t get any more junk mail, but it’s a way of letting the company know that you don’t want any more mail.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/post/post/problems-with-post/problems-with-unwanted-or-junk-mail/how-can-you-stop-junk-mail-that-is-addressed-to-you/

But only if the junk mail has a return address.

The problem being that will cost the taxpayer even more.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

taffys said:

Of course Leave are biased - the salient point is they aren't tapping the taxpayer for £9 million to fund their propaganda.
    Heard it on the radio. What an absolutely disgraceful waste of public money
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Dummy candidates in polls usually get some support. Stewart Lewis received 6% in an opinion poll for the Labour leadership despite the fact he didn't exist.

http://order-order.com/2015/06/18/ipsos-mori-stewart-lewis-polling-surprisingly-well/
    That was just people putting their hopes in there being SOMEBODY other than the candidates they had heard of!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Theodore Dalrymple points out in this article that although Brexit might be a good idea it won't solve the fundamental problems of British society, many of which are home-grown, such as welfare dependancy for instance.

http://www.libertylawsite.org/2016/04/06/brexit-less-there-than-meets-the-eye/

"But I think it is important to understand that the problems Britain now faces lie much deeper than its membership in the European Union, and have little to do with it. In or out, therefore, the challenges will remain the same.
    There are no EU regulations preventing us from educating our children properly, for example, yet we do not do so and have been failing to do so for years. It is not the European Union’s fault if we have to import labor so that even elementary jobs are done properly. It is not the EU’s fault that we have the highest crime rate in Europe. It is not the European Union’s fault that our infrastructure is the worst in Western Europe, or that our streets are the dirtiest and our youth the most drunken in Europe."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    How the f##k did 14 pages, 7 with pictures cost £500k to produce.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

taffys said:

It's not fair. The game is to win at any cost. Which, at this rate, will mean losing the next General Election, as so many natural Tory supporters will sit on their hands in disgust in 2020.
    Don't get too excited. The NHS would have been worse off under Labour. Presumably the same will hold true under the current Corbyn lead shambles.

And the Middle Class Dr Jemima's really will up sticks and go overseas, rather than merely threaten to do so.

• Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Cameron of course will be sailing off into the sunset, arms wrapped around his Panamanian trust. Whilst it dawns on Osborne that he's completely blown it.
    Happy to say goodbye to a Tory cabinet and to Remain in the EU. Optimum result IMHO.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    EU makes UK safer...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-belgium-blast-eu-parliament-idUKKCN0X326A

Look where one of those Brussels bombers worked.
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Cameron of course will be sailing off into the sunset, arms wrapped around his Panamanian trust. Whilst it dawns on Osborne that he's completely blown it.
    Happy to say goodbye to a Tory cabinet and to Remain in the EU. Optimum result IMHO.
    Except for the minor inconvenience of having a fruitbat security risk marxist in charge of the country, still I don't imagine that bothers you either ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

Even if that is the case, is it not possible someone might support the government on every subject? There certainly exist people who oppose the government on every subject.
  • Options

taffys said:

Not donating to either and at present undecided but finding leave's fury bit over the top to say the least
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDUndAD3XLE&nohtml5=False
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Watford 30.. What Panamanian Trust would that be then..if you have any info then lets all share it
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Until you disagree with them, and find you have no democratic means to do anything about it.

I can't get over how people can be so stupid as to desire more remote, less democratic power structures just because of a temporary alignment of views/interests. One of you used to be an MP ffs.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

Rubbish - I not even decided the remain case but as a member of the conservative party I do tend to support the goverment
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    How is the non doctor strike going..I wonder how many patients have had a terrible painfilled day today..
  • Options
    On topic, yes, Boris has been off-form these last few weeks. Or perhaps more accurately, Boris is now being examined as a potential party leader and prime minister, and being found wanting. The skills and attributes that make him effective as a mayoral candidate or - possibly - a cabinet minister are not necessarily ones that would do the same for him as a party leader. Indeed, I very much doubt they would - and I don't think I'm anything like alone in coming to that conclusion.

As for Gove, I'm not entirely sure. He has two serious downsides as a potential leader. Firstly, in a media age, he's just not very likable. He may very well be personable on a one-to-one basis but that cuts little mustard when it's not how you campaign. In any case, I'm not sure that he has been all that likable to MPs, and that matters both in managing the party and in winning the election in the first place. Secondly, he over-manages. It's good for a leader to be in control of the facts and aware of what's going on but Gove as Education Secretary took that too far and produced endless diktats that ran counter to his professed philosophy of different delivery models and improvement through competition.

But then if not Gove, who? Osborne? Boris? Hunt? May? Javid? Cameron staying on?

I'm inclined to think at the moment that Hammond has fewer negatives than anyone else who might be a runner at the moment and as such is in a much stronger position than is assumed, Tory leadership elections being principally about what people are not.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

Rubbish - I not even decided the remain case but as a member of the conservative party I do tend to support the goverment
    He a member of the "Undecided" just like Richard was until he miraculously made his mind up the day Dave came back with that deal of the century.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Theodore Dalrymple points out in this article that although Brexit might be a good idea it won't solve the fundamental problems of British society, many of which are home-grown, such as welfare dependancy for instance.

"But I think it is important to understand that the problems Britain now faces lie much deeper than its membership in the European Union, and have little to do with it. In or out, therefore, the challenges will remain the same.
    There are no EU regulations preventing us from educating our children properly, for example, yet we do not do so and have been failing to do so for years. It is not the European Union’s fault if we have to import labor so that even elementary jobs are done properly. It is not the EU’s fault that we have the highest crime rate in Europe. It is not the European Union’s fault that our infrastructure is the worst in Western Europe, or that our streets are the dirtiest and our youth the most drunken in Europe."

A classic misanthropic rant by my colleague. I particularly like his ending:

"The notion of the free-born Englishman has long since been of no application. The average Briton wants to be a ward of the state and regrets only that the state is not generous enough. The threats to Britain come mostly from Britain, not from the European Union."

- See more at: http://www.libertylawsite.org/2016/04/06/brexit-less-there-than-meets-the-eye/#sthash.0LPaNZCb.dpuf
  • Options
    Well CH4 "exclusive" was neither an exclusive or particularly interesting.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

How ridiculous, a grown person acting like he is being brainwashed, why not think for yourself?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

chestnut said:

Isn't the point that many on the left, mainly sitting in the Remain camp presently, view the state-run NHS with almost religious zeal.

Thoughts of it's 'privatisation' are usually met with same the warmth shown by ISIS when cartoons of Mohammed appear.

If Remain=NHS Privatisation, what will that do to the Remain vote from the left?

Oh, it may be somewhat effective, yes.

chestnut said:

Isn't the point that many on the left, mainly sitting in the Remain camp presently, view the state-run NHS with almost religious zeal.

Thoughts of it's 'privatisation' are usually met with same the warmth shown by ISIS when cartoons of Mohammed appear.

If Remain=NHS Privatisation, what will that do to the Remain vote from the left?

chestnut said:

I think the phenomenon of voters calling for the real facts are similar to those of calling for politicians to be honest.

If being honest got politicians votes, they would be honest; if telling the real facts got both Remain and Leave votes, then they would tell the real facts.

In reality, both groups will do what they feel they need to in order to maximise their chances of most votes.

Sadly.

(PS. I still think Remain is winning about 70:30 in the OTT fear stories though)
    A very good post, I feel. People don't always reward the things they imply they will reward. And while telling the real facts might form part of a strategy, it will get lost in all the mess of commentary anyway.

• Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Until you disagree with them, and find you have no democratic means to do anything about it.

I can't get over how people can be so stupid as to desire more remote, less democratic power structures just because of a temporary alignment of views/interests. One of you used to be an MP ffs.
    No brains, no balls, pathetic people.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

There's nothing temporary about what Nick wants
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

How ridiculous, a grown person acting like he is being brainwashed, why not think for yourself?
    You have no knowledge of me or how I think and at 72 I have never been accused of being brainwashed by anyone. Tempers are rising but insults are unnecessary
  • Options

I'm inclined to think at the moment that Hammond has fewer negatives than anyone else who might be a runner at the moment and as such is in a much stronger position than is assumed, Tory leadership elections being principally about what people are not.

Can you imagine a Hammond/Corbyn PMQ ? Not a milligram of charisma or flair between them, it would be a thirty minute monotone drone.

It's presumably going to depend how nasty things get in the next couple of months. If Tories are knifing each other at the bar of the House, there is going to have to be a new face at the top to clear the air, although perhaps only a technocrat for a year or two to let the bad blood blow away before selecting someone for the next election.

If things stay civil you can see Dave staying on with a "steady as she goes" sort of style while people maneuver for position, and a few young turks get to strut their stuff a bit. The problem with this is going to be Osborne brownite tendencies to try an nobble any challengers. The Tories aren't awash with talent now, and a couple of years of Osborne trying to knife his competitors might leave no real options at the top, and Osborne is going to lose in the country bigtime.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,805
    AndyJS said:

The problem with Dalrymple (and Hitchens) is that every article is just a wail of despair about how awful Britain and the British are. I don't recognise the country they describe.
  • Options
  • Options
    taffys said:

Almost as if there was a Faustian pact...

"For one night" the Devil offered David Cameron, "for Election Night - I will make all your dreams come true. Farage, Balls, Cable, Scottish Labour, the Traitorous Pig Dog - all will fail. I'll even throw in a working majority for you," a smile playing on the Devil's lips.

"But?" The Prime Minister asked.

"One night of dreams will cost you five years of nightmares."

"Done. Can't be worse than five years of Liberal Democrats as coalition partners! Besides, once we've won the referendum, it will all be George's problem."

The Devil's smile turned into a broad grin...

• Options

taffys said:

"For one night" the Devil offered David Cameron, "for Election Night - I will make all your dreams come true. Farage, Balls, Cable, Scottish Labour, the Traitorous Pig Dog - all will fail. I'll even throw in a working majority for you," a smile playing on the Devil's lips.

"Done. Can't be worse than five years of Liberal Democrats as coalition partners! Besides, once we've won the referendum, it will all be George's problem."

I'm somehow envisaging the devil character as Peter Mandelson.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Size of the print run.

• Options
    No election in Iceland...

Iceland’s two ruling coalition parties have agreed to continue working together and will appoint a new prime minister following the departure of Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson amid mounting outrage over his family’s offshore holdings, local media reported.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/06/icelandic-mps-call-for-fresh-elections-after-pm-resigns
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

The problem with Dalrymple (and Hitchens) is that every article is just a wail of despair about how awful Britain and the British are. I don't recognise the country they describe.
    I do.

However I don't see any reason there not to vote Leave or worse still to vote Remain. You've got to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Size of the print run.

No no, thats not the print run....thats the cost of the design....at least how it was reported on ITV news.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Gosh, you doctors bear a grudge don't you?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

On topic, yes, Boris has been off-form these last few weeks. Or perhaps more accurately, Boris is now being examined as a potential party leader and prime minister, and being found wanting. The skills and attributes that make him effective as a mayoral candidate or - possibly - a cabinet minister are not necessarily ones that would do the same for him as a party leader. Indeed, I very much doubt they would - and I don't think I'm anything like alone in coming to that conclusion.

As for Gove, I'm not entirely sure. He has two serious downsides as a potential leader. Firstly, in a media age, he's just not very likable. He may very well be personable on a one-to-one basis but that cuts little mustard when it's not how you campaign. In any case, I'm not sure that he has been all that likable to MPs, and that matters both in managing the party and in winning the election in the first place. Secondly, he over-manages. It's good for a leader to be in control of the facts and aware of what's going on but Gove as Education Secretary took that too far and produced endless diktats that ran counter to his professed philosophy of different delivery models and improvement through competition.

But then if not Gove, who? Osborne? Boris? Hunt? May? Javid? Cameron staying on?

I have always been impressed by Gove, from when he was a journalist at the Times.
    He was a big supporter of Blair new labour project, as all the New Conservatives at the top of the party seem to be. He knew they had to change to win.

I think he would make a good PM a man of principle is a good trait.
  • Options
    perdix said:

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Fox showed incredible arrogance and complacency when travelling around the world with a "friend" who appeared to have a semi-official capacity.

All of that is true but the bigger problem is that he is a prat.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Size of the print run.

No no, thats not the print run....thats the cost of the design....at least how it was reported on ITV news.
    Top city advertising company, big names designers, executive involvement, half a dozen prototypes extensively tested in focus groups ?
  • Options

taffys said:

I'm somehow envisaging the devil character as Peter Mandelson.
    It's hard to envisage anyone else...

• Options
    Indigo said:

Size of the print run.

Top city advertising company, big names designers, executive involvement, extensive focus groups, half a dozen prototypes ?
    Got to be something like that.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    breaking: one of the Brussels suicide bombers had worked at the European Parliament...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Presumably on the basis he had to be at least as good as the others, probably better.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

breaking: one of the Brussels suicide bombers had worked at the European Parliament...

As what, a cleaner?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

You have no knowledge of me or how I think and at 72 I have never been accused of being brainwashed by anyone. Tempers are rising but insults are unnecessary
    Have your own thoughts then, rather than following the party line.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Keeping us all safer.......
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I have always been impressed by Gove, from when he was a journalist at the Times.
    He was a big supporter of Blair new labour project, as all the New Conservatives at the top of the party seem to be. He knew they had to change to win.

I quite like Gove and he does have several of the characteristics to be a good leader. He's in my 'remain to be convinced by' list at the moment. Generally, I very much like his principles; it's his political ability I have a question mark over.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

One can imagine the '24 hours to save our NHS from the EU Overlords' campaign, when Brussels imposes it's will over a fully integrated UK. And how fruitless it will be.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :lol:

taffys said:

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

Gosh, you doctors bear a grudge don't you?
    Yep. We have to live with his incompetence, though you in Scotland are spared it!

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/9606096
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Yorkcity said:

I quite like Gove and he does have several of the characteristics to be a good leader. He's in my 'remain to be convinced by' list at the moment. Generally, I very much like his principles; it's his political ability I have a question mark over.
    I wonder if Gove appeals to the more politically interested, and Bojo to the disinterested more ?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

One can imagine the '24 hours to save our NHS from the EU Overlords' campaign, when Brussels imposes it's will over a fully integrated UK. And how fruitless it will be.
    Aren't we often told that our health services would be better if run like our continental neighbours?

:-)
  • Options

taffys said:

Brilliant MM ..... post of the day without doubt!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Size of the print run.

Top city advertising company, big names designers, executive involvement, half a dozen prototypes extensively tested in focus groups ?
    Perhaps specially arranged photo shoots, with cast, styling, locations, creative direction... I'd still be amazed at £500,000 - if that's really just the design/artwork the agency saw the Government coming a mile off. No wonder our national debt is what it is - bunch of utter imbeciles holding the purse strings.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Indigo said:

Can you imagine a Hammond/Corbyn PMQ ? Not a milligram of charisma or flair between them, it would be a thirty minute monotone drone.

I don't know. I can imagine some quite amusing moments whenever Corbyn goes on his poverty schtick.

'Mr Speaker, how does the leader of the party of privilege explain this?'

'I am very grateful to the right honourable member from the seven bedroom manor house and boarding school for drawing attention to the fact that I came from Brentford and went to the local school.'

'Mr Speaker, why does the Prime Minister not renationalise the steel industry?'

'Because unlike Mr Corbyn, I used to work for a living and indeed ran several companies very successfully. I understand that nationalisation doesn't work and I want to see them thriving in the private sector the way all mine did.'

'Mr Speaker, how does the Prime Minister intend to make Parliament open to all, regardless of background?'

'I am fully in favour of people working the hard yards via local politics, as both Mr Corbyn and I did, and preferably rising to the top of their constituency organisations on merit and not because of their father's trade union links.'

Corbyn would simply not know how to deal with Hammond. He can't dismiss him as young, because he's not ridiculously younger than Corbyn; or posh, because he's from a background that is at best as privileged as Corbyn's own; or there on his political connections, because Hammond isn't (although mutterings continue that Corbyn is). It would be effective as that 1992 poster on Major that OGH is so fond of. Doesn't leave Corbyn with much to say. He might try policy - snag is, Corbyn's efforts on policy so far have all been catastrophes.

That being said, I no longer think it will be Hammond (I did as recently as a year ago). I think time has slightly passed him by. Crabbe and Amber Rudd are the two to watch right now.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

I think the left are whistling to keep themselves happy, and that TTIP will be signed in full before the end of the year. To much money stand to be made by too many corporates, and by extension too many corporate lobbyists for any other result to be acceptable. Don't forget there are now twice as many lobbyists in Brussels as there are in Washington DC.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Yorkcity said:

taffys said:

Calm down everyone. Don't you realise that Winter Is Coming. Only 18 days to go.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Aren't we often told that our health services would be better if run like our continental neighbours?

:-)
    Yes, they would. But you'd have to embrace private medicine.

(I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. The Dr Jemimas fleeing to Australia manage it. Money clearly wins against 'Principle').
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

There is a You Tube vid of Owen Jones interviewing Dan Hannan when precisely this point gets raised by Owen Jones.
    Dan the Man quotes Tony Benn when explaining why it is such a poor idea to give sovereignty away because you agree temporarily with someone.
    "It is better to have a bad parliament than a good King"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fNkj5i0LM
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I think it would be a great meeting of minds - Corbyn believes in submarines with no missiles, Hammond believes in Aircraft carriers with no aircraft.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That being said, I no longer think it will be Hammond (I did as recently as a year ago). I think time has slightly passed him by. Crabbe and Amber Rudd are the two to watch right now.

Could be, I would like to see Dominic Raab put himself about a bit more as well, or more mischievously, Jesse Norman ;)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

I wonder if Gove appeals to the more politically interested, and Bojo to the disinterested more ?
    You can be pretty sure the Liam Fox for Leader clickers are among the "more politically interested".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

I think that is a good generalisation.
    Especially in my case.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016
    Yorkcity said:

All this may well be true, but, as I keep saying, he beats Ed Miliband by a country mile in the Weird Stakes. Rightly or wrongly, that will be all there is to it for a big swathe of swing voters.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    @Danny565 My mum can't stand Michael Gove.

Doesn't appeal to all.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

I mean, really.

And Liz Kendall got less in the end than a fictional candidate.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Danny565 said:

Yorkcity said:

All this may well be true, but, as I keep saying, he beats Ed Miliband by a country mile in the Weird Stakes. Rightly or wrongly, that will be all there is to it for a big swathe of swing voters.

Here's the alternative.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03457/potd-corbyn_3457949b.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Danny565 My mum can't stand Michael Gove.

Doesn't appeal to all.

I get the impression "right but repulsive" sums up why a lot of people don't like Gove.
  • Options

taffys said:

*Thunderous applause and shouts of More!*

• Options
    watford30 said:

Danny565 said:

Yorkcity said:

Here's the alternative.

Screw your eyes until almost closed and he takes on the appearance of his would be Spitting Image caricature!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

I don't know. I can imagine some quite amusing moments whenever Corbyn goes on his poverty schtick.

'Mr Speaker, how does the leader of the party of privilege explain this?'

'I am very grateful to the right honourable member from the seven bedroom manor house and boarding school for drawing attention to the fact that I came from Brentford and went to the local school.'

'Mr Speaker, why does the Prime Minister not renationalise the steel industry?'

'Because unlike Mr Corbyn, I used to work for a living and indeed ran several companies very successfully. I understand that nationalisation doesn't work and I want to see them thriving in the private sector the way all mine did.'

'Mr Speaker, how does the Prime Minister intend to make Parliament open to all, regardless of background?'

'I am fully in favour of people working the hard yards via local politics, as both Mr Corbyn and I did, and preferably rising to the top of their constituency organisations on merit and not because of their father's trade union links.'

Corbyn would simply not know how to deal with Hammond. He can't dismiss him as young, because he's not ridiculously younger than Corbyn; or posh, because he's from a background that is at best as privileged as Corbyn's own; or there on his political connections, because Hammond isn't (although mutterings continue that Corbyn is). It would be effective as that 1992 poster on Major that OGH is so fond of. Doesn't leave Corbyn with much to say. He might try policy - snag is, Corbyn's efforts on policy so far have all been catastrophes.

Depends how bad the EURef gets. If it's an early leadership election then it'll need a steady hand that's already in place to pull things back together; if it's 2019 then we're probably talking next generation.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Hammond also has the positive of making me more money than any other candidate would be a very great Prime Minister indeed. The obvious choice.

Seriously, Hammond seems to me to have many of the same qualities as May. May, however, is known to be a runner and is attracting opposition, whereas Hammond is somehow lurking out of view, which is what about-to-be leaders of the Conservative Party have often done.

Spot on about Boris and Gove, I think.
This discussion has been closed.