Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Interesting spin lines from CCHQ, I've seen quite a few Tory MPs, including cabinet ministers going for this line

@DavidGauke: Labour's collapse in Scotland means that, whoever leads them, they can only govern the UK in future with the help of the SNP.

Of course. The image of Miliband in Salmon's pocket wasn't just for 2015 - there will be a new version of the same in 2020.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,051
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

To put the SCON results into historical perspective they have won 7 constituencies against a nine year old Scottish government with SLAB disintegrating and SLD on life support.

In 1987 SCON won 10 constituencies, this was deemed a political disaster.

Shock horror, 1987 and 2016 aren't the same. The position of the SNP for starters.
    Shock horror, inconvenient fact punctures bluster balloon.

The SNP have been the Scottish government for the last nine years. Political parties tend to be losing support fast at that point.
    Scotland is not normal, especially since the indyref was only a couple of years ago which totally polarised things to the benefit of the SNP.
    It also polarised things to the benefit of SCON as SLAB has disintegrated.

So SCON should be a safe home for anti-independence and anti-government votes.

Yet when it comes down to it the inconvenient fact remains:

1987 SCON wins 10 constituencies and is said to have disasterous defeat
    2016 SCON wins 7 constituencies and is said to have amazing victory
    Remind me what happened before the 1987 election. Then remind me what happened before the 2016 election. It's as if you are ignoring the nadir of the Scottish Tory party on purpose.
    Its as if you ignoring inconvenient election results.

1987 SCON wins 10 constituencies
    2016 SCON wins 7 constituencies

Please do your own reminding its only going to deepen the hole you're digging.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@journodave: 'Scotland's more left wing. Scotland wants to be like Scandinavia. Scots don't mind paying more tax' is that right, aye? #SP16

Denmark and Finland have centre right governments, Sweden a populist rightwing party on rise, Scotland still has a centre left party as its largest just a centre right party now the main opposition
    Scott is not too bright. You are a bit wrong there as well, it is a centre right party in power and a right wing junta now the main opposition
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Interesting spin lines from CCHQ, I've seen quite a few Tory MPs, including cabinet ministers going for this line

@DavidGauke: Labour's collapse in Scotland means that, whoever leads them, they can only govern the UK in future with the help of the SNP.

Exactly what I'd be saying.

The Tories can forge a massive political conflict with the SNP, make it look more and more like Nationalist Scotland versus the Rest of the UK, and then before each election point north and say to the English, would you like that lot and Corbyn combining to govern you??
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Polruan said:

On the "battleground areas" test, what's the position (I'm not disagreeing with you, I genuinely don't know)? Are we seeing Labour improving the position in England generally, but only where it doesn't matter? And is there any reasonable basis for concluding that the actual candidates who Corbyn beat in 2015 would have outperformed in any of the key tests?

On that point, no - Labour did quite well in battleground English councils, such as Crawley, and OK in Wales. We'll have to see about London, of course. There are big strategic problems in Scotland and the Tories are successfully taking the "hammer of nationalism" banner, so Labour needs to decide its USP there.

FPT: The swing to Labour in Sheffield Brightside with both Tories and UKIP down is striking. I don't know the area at all, but it seems to include Hillsborough, where the football disaster happened on which the report recently vindicated campaigners like Andy Burnham. Might that be relevant?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

RobD said:

RobD said:

To put the SCON results into historical perspective they have won 7 constituencies against a nine year old Scottish government with SLAB disintegrating and SLD on life support.

Shock horror, 1987 and 2016 aren't the same. The position of the SNP for starters.

The SNP have been the Scottish government for the last nine years. Political parties tend to be losing support fast at that point.
    Scotland is not normal, especially since the indyref was only a couple of years ago which totally polarised things to the benefit of the SNP.

1987 meant a loss of 12 seats. it was the year that a slow gradual decline accelerated into free fall. Ten years later, the Conservatives had no seats at all. This year has seen a significant improvement in both seats and vote share.

I don't think the Conservatives can ever be more than the second party in Scotland, but if they could win the three Borders seats, two or three in the North East, Eastwood, and a couple in Edinburgh, they'd have a comfortable lead in the Commons.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Remind me what happened before the 1987 election. Then remind me what happened before the 2016 election. It's as if you are ignoring the nadir of the Scottish Tory party on purpose.

And you are obviously ignoring the situation in which those elections were fought. SCON won 21 constituencies in the election before 87. How many did they win in the election before 2016?
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Labour increasingly look like a married couple staying together for the sake of the children (members).

Tories are going to have to watch carefully for signs of a lib dem revival as that seems most likely to harm them in 2020
  • Options
    O/T Sky News earlier made reference to The Donald backing Brexit.
    Can see Remain taking advantage of this quite quickly.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. D, shisha?
  • Options

Two completely irrelevant things:
    The Haunting of Lake Manor Hotel's up to #2 on US Amazon [horror anthology category]. Be cracking if it reached #1 [as happened with the UK site].

What are those smoky, bubbly, piped drinking thingummyjigs they have in the Middle East called? I'm possibly writing a fantasy short with a Persian feel and *might* include them (depends on whether they fit technologically).

Hookah or Shisha pipe,
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299

Yup. Even Montie flagged it up as unhelpful.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    RobD said:

stjohn said:

Can something be done about the overuse of the "Quote" function on PB? When multiple series of comments build "Quote" mountains, PB becomes almost unreadable. Blocks of dark towering pyramids, each overshadowing the last, obscure the few bright spots of illumination.

You can change this behaviour in your vanilla settings:

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/profile/edit

Quote settings, then select how many levels you want.
    Brilliant! Thanks RobD.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Polruan said:

FPT @southamobserver

I know you've been legendarily open-minded about his Jezness throughout his tenure, but if you don't mind me saying, your London success requirement seems quite a carefully crafted test. From what I can see so far we have the following

- very poor Labour performance in Scotland (but due to quite specific factors as SeanT has commented and in line with Miliband's performance there)
    - moderately poor Labour and slightly worse Conservative performance in Wales: doesn't look too bad for GE equivalent unless Plaid make a massive breakthrough
    - better than forecast Labour performance in English locals, looking at share of vote, which is the only realistic comparator
    - likely substantial success for Labour in London, though maybe not stellar (hence, I assume, your requirement for "big GLA gains" for it to be called a success

On the "battleground areas" test, what's the position (I'm not disagreeing with you, I genuinely don't know)? Are we seeing Labour improving the position in England generally, but only where it doesn't matter? And is there any reasonable basis for concluding that the actual candidates who Corbyn beat in 2015 would have outperformed in any of the key tests?

Labour should make gains in London anyway given London was a rarevLabour success story in 2015. So if Corbyn is a net positive Labour should do even better.

Corbyn identified Scotland as a priority when he was elected. Labour has gone backwards, just as it has in Wales.

In England, Labour has performed OK where it was previously doing OK. There is no evidence of any progress at all in places where the party needs to advance. And Labour is up against a Tory party that is currently engaged in civil war. Would Labour be losing tens of thousands of Jewish votes had another candidate won? I doubt it, but clearly can't be certain.

The prognosis is clear and unavoidable: Labour underbthe leadership of the hard left is heading towards a big defeat in 2020 despite being up against an unpopular, hoprlessly divided Tory government.

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

1987 meant a loss of 12 seats. it was the year that a slow gradual decline accelerated into free fall. Ten years later, the Conservatives had no seats at all. This year has seen a significant improvement in both seats and vote share.

I don't think the Conservatives can ever be more than the second party in Scotland, but if they could win the three Borders seats, two or three in the North East, Eastwood, and a couple in Edinburgh, they'd have a comfortable lead in the Commons.
    They should really be able to win 8-10 FPTP Westminster seats. But the key to expanding is to win back the support they have lost in Scotland's rural areas over the last 30 years.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The polarisation may go further yet if the SNP now get into bed with the Greens. If I were the SNP I would avoid that option like the plague - it could see even more of their softer support peeling off in places like the NE - where, I note, there were some big double-digit SNP to Tory swings even in seats the SNP held.

Indeed.

A better idea for the SNP would be to accept the occasional defeat they can then claim that SLAB, SCON etc are 'all the same'.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Labour’s poor performance in Scotland continues, perhaps Miliband wasn’t to blame for 2012.
  • Options

Mr. D, shisha?

The tobacco you smoke in the hookah.
  • Options

Artist said:

Roger Scully ‏@roger_scully 7m7 minutes ago
    Unless something very unexpected in the final two regions, looking very much: Lab 28, PC 12, Con 11, UKIP 8, LDs 1.

Welsh polls were pretty spot on.

Were they? My recollection is that the election day YouGov showed Labour doing much worse?
    IIRC, the last Yougov poll had Labour on 33% for the constituencies, as opposed to the outcome of 34.7% , so not much difference.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

I can see the le pen, trump & Farage, look at them, just look at who backs brexit being banded about a lot.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Haunting of Lake Manor Hotel's up to #2 on US Amazon [horror anthology category]. Be cracking if it reached #1 [as happened with the UK site].

What are those smoky, bubbly, piped drinking thingummyjigs they have in the Middle East called? I'm possibly writing a fantasy short with a Persian feel and *might* include them (depends on whether they fit technologically).

Hookah or Shisha pipe,
    Or the generic Bong as they are also called.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Completely off topic, but I went to see RSC's Midsummer Nights Dream last night. Brilliant. Puck was played by newcomer Lucy Ellinson - absolutely stunning performance. One to watch.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Apparently we're supposed to think that because the Tories have done better in the very distant past (sorry people who remember 1987), it's not reasonable to call a significant recovery 30 bloody years later amazing. I guess it's the same logic as all those who said even though Cameron was PM he hadn't won because he didn't have an overall majority. No doubt if the LDs ever recover to 30 seats or so (which based off this set of results is going to be a long time, off ever), it won't count as good because they've been higher than that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hookah or Shisha pipe,
    Bongs are much tackier...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Come 2020.. Corbyn in a kilt should win a few votes..
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party outpolling the Greens.

4.3% presently.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Looks like we're shaping up for a "Super Thursday" that everyone can claim some comfort from.

As a Tory voter, bit early to say with barely half of English council results in and what looks like a bit of a disappointment in Wales, but I'm really pleased for Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Tories, that's a stunning result for them, making "proper" gains of actual constituency seats and Ruth Davidson herself pulling off what must be a wholly unexpected personal triumph in Edinburgh Central. I am sure she will be a very effective Official Opposition leader in Scotland and endear herself further.

Is she the New Boris - a leading Tory who outperforms the party and has personal charisma and appeal? With Boris's star on the wane after his Euro mess-ups, and with nobody else in the Cabinet having anything remotely close to the voter appeal of Cameron, I can't help feeling she is the obvious, yet of course totally inconceivable, replacement for Dave.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hookah or Shisha pipe,
    Hookah in Persia
    Shisha in Arabia
    Bong in UK!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Agreed.

But it should be harder for SCON at the next Westminster elections as they will be defending the record of a ten year Conservative Westminster government not attacking the record of a nine year SNP Holyrood government.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mr. D, shisha?

People smoke tobacco in them?
    Oh, I must move in different circles to most on here....
  • Options

Polruan said:

On that point, no - Labour did quite well in battleground English councils, such as Crawley, and OK in Wales. We'll have to see about London, of course. There are big strategic problems in Scotland and the Tories are successfully taking the "hammer of nationalism" banner, so Labour needs to decide its USP there.

FPT: The swing to Labour in Sheffield Brightside with both Tories and UKIP down is striking. I don't know the area at all, but it seems to include Hillsborough, where the football disaster happened on which the report recently vindicated campaigners like Andy Burnham. Might that be relevant?
    Well, 66.8% of the electorate were inspired not to turnout in the Sheffield Brightside by-election. Was there some football on the Tele last night?
  • Options

RobD said:

Mr. D, shisha?

People smoke tobacco in them?
    Oh, I must move in different circles to most on here....
    Flavourings are optional ;)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2016
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

Could Davidson become leader? Seems remote and yet...

Is there some kind of path, if Cameron stays on for two years?

There might be a few by elections in Scotland to Westminster.

Ruth can win anywhere in Scotland.

Or if the Crick investigations go anywhere a few by elections in England.
    Ruth can win anywhere where the greens put up a candidate to split the Independence vote?
    I don't think the Greens can explain an increase in the Tory vote?
    Greens should be taken out and shot.
    @malcolmg developing vegie-schizophenia - Turnips Good .. Greens Bad .... :smiley:

Laters ......
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

And you are obviously ignoring the situation in which those elections were fought. SCON won 21 constituencies in the election before 87. How many did they win in the election before 2016?
    And you are obviously ignoring the situation in which those elections were fought. SCON were defending the record of a two term Conservative Westminster government in 1987 but attacking the record of a two term SNP Holyrood government in 2016.

With SLAB disintegrating and SLD on life support the circumstances were near optimum for SCON to do well.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Labour have managed to be tremendously efficient in Wales this time round. The 7.4 % vote reduction is not a million miles off the 9.2 reduction in Scotland but it has only cost them 2 seats in Wales.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Labour has lost vote share and its majority in Wales. That is not OK.

Nick, you've made your peace with the hard left, so good for you. But let's not pretend you've done anything other than give up on the people Labour is supposed to be in the business of helping to a better life.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

And you are obviously ignoring the situation in which those elections were fought. SCON were defending the record of a two term Conservative Westminster government in 1987 but attacking the record of a two term SNP Holyrood government in 2016.

With SLAB disintegrating and SLD on life support the circumstances were near optimum for SCON to do well.

They were defending a two term Tory govt in 87 and lost 12 seats. How many did they lose in 2016?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Sandpit said:

Of course. The image of Miliband in Salmon's pocket wasn't just for 2015 - there will be a new version of the same in 2020.
    Likely different situation though - unless the polls are very similar to 2015 (and accorded similar credibility which is a big if) the SNP-Lab coalition idea is off the table. Lab will rule it out unequivocally and early in order to protect their own vote north of the border as well as neutralising the attack line. "Only Labour can kick out the Tories at Westminster" has to be the doorstep line. Well, either that or a formal SLAB/SNP merger I guess.

In any case, the new found right wing economic zeal of the Nats rather reduces their appeal as a coalition partner. (And as the joke goes, a party with extremist separatist leadership known to support challenges to the legimate government of the United Kingdom would never be accepted as a coalition partner by a mainstream outfit like the SNP.)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

This is a very bad night for Labour...

Trending to Conservative in Scotland.
    Trending to UKIP in Wales.
    Trending to Mehh in England.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Pulpstar said:

Labour have managed to be tremendously efficient in Wales this time round. The 7.4 % vote reduction is not a million miles off the 9.2 reduction in Scotland but it has only cost them 2 seats in Wales.

Foes that mean Labour are on the edge of dropping a lot of seats in Wales should their vote fall even further next time?
  • Options
    Economically, Scotland is now clearly the most right-wing country in the UK. A huge majority for parties that advocate tax cuts and oppose tax rises.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Apparently we're supposed to think that because the Tories have done better in the very distant past (sorry people who remember 1987), it's not reasonable to call a significant recovery 30 bloody years later amazing. I guess it's the same logic as all those who said even though Cameron was PM he hadn't won because he didn't have an overall majority. No doubt if the LDs ever recover to 30 seats or so (which based off this set of results is going to be a long time, off ever), it won't count as good because they've been higher than that.
    You'd had a long period from 1959, in which the Scottish Conservatives gradually lost the support of working class Protestants. 1987 was the year they lost the middle classes.
  • Options
    Hah

Tables turned: could @ScotTories have done better in #sp16 if only they weren't tainted by #indyref association with @scottishlabour ?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    If by some miracle the Mayoral election is very close today and the Barnet turnout is down a lot on previous elections is there a chance of a revote in Barnet being called before the Mayoral result can be officially announced?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    None for the SNP in NE Scotland, leaving them on 63
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

They were defending a two term Tory govt in 87 and lost 12 seats. How many did they lose in 2016?
    SCON weren't defending a two term Conservative Westminster government in 2016 they were attacking a two term SNP Holyrood government.

The inconvenient fact remains:

Now SCON have done well against SLAB - I'm sure we're all delighted at SLAB's demise - but the bigging up of their overall performance reached ridiculous levels.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    How many local councils are left to declare? I still can't get over SCON - incredible result. Seeing the polling was entertaining, but turning it into reality is WHOA!!

What's this 1910 result Sky keep quoting about Labour?
  • Options

How many local councils are left to declare? I still can't get over SCON - incredible result. Seeing the polling was entertaining, but turning it into reality is WHOA!!

What's this 1910 result Sky keep quoting about Labour?

See the George Eaton tweet at the top of the thread.
  • Options
    LBC reporting that turnout in inner London in low 20% whereas in the outer london boroughs in the high 30s to low 40%.
    Could make things interesting...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Tories finish 4% and nearly 80,000 votes ahead of Labour on the list.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @another_richard I think you're understating the Scottish Conservative achievement in 2016. They've gone from being an irrelevant piñata to being decidedly relevant. Given the toxicity of the Conservative brand in Scotland over the last generation, that's a huge achievement.
  • Options
    Fair play to Alistair Meeks - I hope he took his own advice and bet on NOM in Scotland.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    31 Tory MSPs. More than double. I was up all night but am I still dreaming? So far beyond my expectations as to be a different country.
  • Options
    General Election @UKGE2020

#SP16
    Final Regional vote share

SNP 41.7%
    CONSERVATIVES 22.9%
    LABOUR 19.1%
    GREENS 6.6%
    LIBDEMS 5.2%
    UKIP 2%
    SOLIDARITY 0.6%
    CHRISTIAN 0.5%
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    timmo said:

LBC reporting that turnout in inner London in low 20% whereas in the outer london boroughs in the high 30s to low 40%.

That was the Tory game plan. I predict that Goldsmith has done it - by a whisker.

• Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    If Barnet needs to be rerun, they will have to do the whole mayoral election citywide. Otherwise the voice of Barnet would be unduly diminished by lower turnout because of the lower publicity the rerun would get.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2016

Economically, Scotland is now clearly the most right-wing country in the UK. A

huge majority for parties that advocate tax cuts and oppose tax rises.

And with the largest 'nationalist party' not only in the UK but in Europe surely
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2016
    SNP - 6 , SLAB -13, SCON +16, SLIB = , SGREEN +4, Indy - 1

About right ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Foes that mean Labour are on the edge of dropping a lot of seats in Wales should their vote fall even further next time?
    Well Labour did have a tremendously efficient Scottish vote before ! Seat wise Labour is in a very similar position to the SNP but with around 12 less % of the vote !!!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    Morning all! Results not half as bad as was being touted for Labour, so in a better mood than I thought I would be. Apparently we can retain southern councils and win seats too....

Anyway, I did a sweep of 16 polling stations last night an hour before they shut for our Police and Crime Commissioner election.The worst had a turnout of 3%!
  • Options

@another_richard I think you're understating the Scottish Conservative achievement in 2016. They've gone from being an irrelevant piñata to being decidedly relevant. Given the toxicity of the Conservative brand in Scotland over the last generation, that's a huge achievement.

There's an advantage to being the last Unionist man standing.

SLAB and SLD have toxified their own brands since 2010.

Anyway have to work now, enjoy the rest of the results.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all.
    Well, a funny old night and Jezza just about hanging on.
    UKIP advanced has slowed in my estimation.
    L/Dems peeping here and there.
    Cameroons in the doldrums.

In other words; a right old mess.
  • Options
    India Knight @indiaknight

I want Ruth Davidson to ride AT LEAST an elephant around Edinburgh South.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SNP short of a majority and no Indyref2 in the Green manifesto.

Maybe now they will STFU about it and get on with governing, which will reveal their shortcoming even more.
  • Options

And I have to confess that the scorn I poured on your tip of 8/1 for the SNP not getting a majority was completely misplaced. I actually believed the SNP hype and expected a majority of the constituencies alone but it hasn't turned out like that. Not at all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Economically, Scotland is now clearly the most right-wing country in the UK. A huge majority for parties that advocate tax cuts and oppose tax rises.

The SNP are not really a tax cut party
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The polls for Scotland underestimated the Tory vote share and overestimated the SNP but not massively so. They all got close with Labour's share.
  • Options
    @KennyFarq: If Nicola doesn't want to be dragged to left - for example on fracking - she may be tempted to do confidence & supply deal with Lib Dems. /

Where did I park my ROFLCOPTER?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Interesting result night. Big theme for me is the importance of personality and leadership.

Ruth Davidson is a bloody brilliant politician and deserves a ton of credit for her remarkable result.
    Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP leadership are so strong.
    Where Labour did well, it was was down to the local leadership (such as Crawley).

The men (and women) in grey suits need to beware.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Polruan said:
    Labour should make gains in London anyway given London was a rarevLabour success story in 2015. So if Corbyn is a net positive Labour should do even better.

Corbyn identified Scotland as a priority when he was elected. Labour has gone backwards, just as it has in Wales.

In England, Labour has performed OK where it was previously doing OK. There is no evidence of any progress at all in places where the party needs to advance. And Labour is up against a Tory party that is currently engaged in civil war. Would Labour be losing tens of thousands of Jewish votes had another candidate won? I doubt it, but clearly can't be certain.

The prognosis is clear and unavoidable: Labour underbthe leadership of the hard left is heading towards a big defeat in 2020 despite being up against an unpopular, hoprlessly divided Tory government.

It's mostly counterfactuals and correlation which may imply causation though. Is Labour going forward at the speed we would like. No. Is there evidence that this would be better under other leadership, ie that someone else is a better "net positive" than Corbyn? No. Is it certain that any of the other candidates would not have actually been net negative? No.

The only point where it seems clear that the present leadership is a net negative is the anti-semitism row which was a massive failure of decisive leadership and party discipline. It's disgraceful and needs to be addressed regardless of electoral maths, but looking narrowly at the electoral situation we are discussing here it doesn't seem to have made a whole lot of difference to overall outcomes.

To turn it around, the Tory party is up against a Laboir party that is currently engaged in a civil war, which goes a long way to explaining the problem. That's primarily because its MPs don't want to be part of the programme of the leadership elected by the members. Blaming the "hard left" (ie the members and leadership) for the civil war is not a whole lot different to blaming a national electorate and their chosen government for their country being blighted by terrorism carried out by a group opposed to that government's agenda: whilst some might see the terrorists as freedom fighters, the default assumption is that they're the ones to blame.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    edited May 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

It also polar
    Remind me what happe.
    Its as if you ignoring inconv

And in the election before 87. How many did they win in the election before 2016?

SCON weren't defending a two term Conservative Westminst

Now SCON have done well against SLAB - I'm sure we're all delighted at SLAB's demise - but the bigging up of their overall performance reached ridiculous levels.
    And your repetition of a fact not in dispute, and thus not inconvenient, as though it disproves anything is even more ridiculous. I don't even understand what point you are trying to make, since I can't see anyone who would argue that this result is not as good as results they've achieved in the past. But it is a good result for this present.

But I'll save you the trouble:

Wow, mind blown! Scottish conservatives used to do better than now! Never mind they had also done a lot worse and have recovered.

Also, I've heard the Tories won over 400 seats in the 20s, I don't know why anyone ever said Thatcher did OK getting less than that.

Oh, and to cut off a probable whinge about my own biases or something, the only vote I've ever cast for the Tories is a PCC second preference, I have no reason to talk up Tory successes, and in fact have said I think about Labour not doing as bad as thought.
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@journodave: 'Scotland's more left wing. Scotland wants to be like Scandinavia. Scots don't mind paying more tax' is that right, aye? #SP16

Denmark and Finland have centre right governments, Sweden a populist rightwing party on rise, Scotland still has a centre left party as its largest just a centre right party now the main opposition
    Scott is not too bright. You are a bit wrong there as well, it is a centre right party in power and a right wing junta now the main opposition
    Evem political compass has SNP as centre left
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

And I have to confess that the scorn I poured on your tip of 8/1 for the SNP not getting a majority was completely misplaced. I actually believed the SNP hype and expected a majority of the constituencies alone but it hasn't turned out like that. Not at all.
    Signiicant antiSNP tactical voting and lazy SNP voters did for the majority. The difference between SnP 49 Con 19 and SNP 46 Con 22 is huge in terms of constituency seats.
  • Options
    @FraserNelson: The Scottish Tory comeback - special @spectator podcast: https://t.co/aakMdTtFcP
  • Options

timmo said:

That was the Tory game plan. I predict that Goldsmith has done it - by a whisker.

It was neck and neck in suburbs Khan landslide in inner London so probably not enough
  • Options
    @sunny_hundal: Votes for London Mayor are being counted and this being page updated. So far, Zac Goldsmith slightly ahead https://t.co/5myGP0UrQN
  • Options
    Depending on today's results, I'd expect the Conservatives to be 2-3% ahead in terms of NEV share.
  • Options
    @GoodwinMJ: Mark Reckless returns to elected politics in Wales https://t.co/OYMfuamCAC
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well Labour did have a tremendously efficient Scottish vote before ! Seat wise Labour is in a very similar position to the SNP but with around 12 less % of the vote !!!
    Wow. Is that a function of the 59 list seats in Scotland making up a greater share of all seats than the 20 list seats in Wales?
  • Options

Labour increasingly look like a married couple staying together for the sake of the children (members).

Tories are going to have to watch carefully for signs of a lib dem revival as that seems most likely to harm them in 2020

UKIP have made the biggest gains in England overnight they are the thteat to the Tories little sign of a a LD revival yet
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Can't see Khan losing.

However, if he did, what does that do for Corbyn's political life expectancy?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

There's an advantage to being the last Unionist man standing.

SLAB and SLD have toxified their own brands since 2010.

Anyway have to work now, enjoy the rest of the results.
    Willie Ross said in the 1990s that Scottish politics would become 'ever more nationalist and unionist', and he was right.

It's pleasant to see the SNP cult moving backwards, but I am still far from certain this ends well.
  • Options
    Khan available to lay at 1.06 at 9.19am ..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GoodwinMJ: Mark Reckless returns to elected politics in Wales https://t.co/OYMfuamCAC

Who?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Depending on today's results, I'd expect the Conservatives to be 2-3% ahead in terms of NEV share.

What's NEV again?
  • Options
    Make that 1.07..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Sean_F said:

What's NEV again?
    National Equivalent Voteshare.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I thought that was the expectation but also Lab to lose 200 seats ?
  • Options
    Sun political hack

London Mayoral race "too close to call" sources say.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@sunny_hundal: Votes for London Mayor are being counted and this being page updated. So far, Zac Goldsmith slightly ahead https://t.co/5myGP0UrQN

I would suggest its slightly early...
    When are they going to publish the individual borough turnout numbers?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

I thought that was the expectation but also Lab to lose 200 seats ?
    UKIP have probably made projections of gains and losses far harder to make accurately.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And Neil Hamilton.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: The Scottish Tory comeback - special @spectator podcast: https://t.co/aakMdTtFcP

Tory comeback is right. I keep having to remind people that their suggestion Scotland=Labour is nonsense. Not that long ago that there were a lot of Tory MPs north of the border...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    Scott_P said:

Thanks for the link.

A bit further than so far, and Zac Goldsmith not slightly ahead.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Sun political hack

London Mayoral race "too close to call" sources say.

Wow if Zac does it.

• Options

Labour has lost vote share and its majority in Wales. That is not OK.

Nick, you've made your peace with the hard left, so good for you. But let's not pretend you've done anything other than give up on the people Labour is supposed to be in the business of helping to a better life.

How has that project been going in Wales lately?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thanks for the link.

A bit further than so far, and Zac Goldsmith not slightly ahead.
    "Cannibis safer than alcohol"party is ahead of the BNP.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Interesting result night. Big theme for me is the importance of personality and leadership.

Ruth Davidson is a bloody brilliant politician and deserves a ton of credit for her remarkable result.
    Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP leadership are so strong.
    Where Labour did well, it was was down to the local leadership (such as Crawley).

The men (and women) in grey suits need to beware.

True. And Willie Rennie had a surprise win for the Lib Dems as well after a good campaign. Even that berk from the Greens Patrick Harvie did well. Leadership and character have been heavily rewarded in this election.
  • Options

Can't see Khan losing.

However, if he did, what does that do for Corbyn's political life expectancy?

All of a sudden it would be Khan's fault and Jeremy played no part in the campaign. Labour members will forgive Corbyn anything.

This discussion has been closed.