Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting on when will Article 50 be triggered, if ever?

13»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

"So 17 million people voted for a revolutionary change in the way we are governed, and the result is going to be Theresa May. These ignored multitudes were not, I think, hoping for yet another Blairite robot, a living symbol of everything that is wrong with our political system. But this is what they are going to get.

They were voting for a change on the EU, nothing said they were looking for a change around who we are governed by and in what manner apart from that. I don't recall the UK political system being altered being on the ballot.

It would be an apposite time for some major changes elsewhere. But noone voted for it.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

Is not wrong.

Basically we have five shit candidates amply demonstrating what it is about modern politics that pisses off the public.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    I appear to have upset the Leadsomites on twitter
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Sounds almost biblical....
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who are even more barking than the Cybernats and kippers.

Which is amazing
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    Lowlander said:

stodge said:

No counting in Australia on Monday I believe.

Currently Labor leads the Coalition 67-65 in seats declared with Others (including Greens and Nick Xenophon) on 5.

13 seats remain to be called and Labor is ahead in 5, the Coalition in 7 and Nick Xenophon in 1 so that would produce a 72-72-6 result.

However, worth pointing out postal votes are still to be counted and these generally favour the Coalition who have traditionally had a stronger postal voting operation than Labor and in the five seats where they lead, Labor's lead is less than 1% so it's entirely possible the Coalition will get over the line or on it.

A Labor majority looks improbable but the Independents are resolutely refusing to play ball with three already saying they won't support either the Coalition or Labor and nor can be bought off with the post of Speaker.

Plenty of fuel left in this fire.

The Libs have seriously underperformed predictions on transfers losing 6 predicted wins so far. It is quite possible they might have underperformed on postal votes as well.
    Transfers tend more to the ALP because of the high Green vote, postal votes have lots of L/NP supporting pensioners using them
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Civil service drafting is terrible. It's the standard complaint of anyone with commercial experience when they come into contact with it. I can't hold that against Leadsom, even if I think she's basically undercooked when it comes to being a credible PM.
    All of those 'points' could just as easily be worded in Leadom's favour. Especially not being liked by OSBORNE of all people.
    -Bad at making decisions = insisted on making well informed decisions and wouldn't be bounced into going along with what Osborne wanted
    -Blamed the EU for everything = refused to ignore it like the elephant in the room it clearly was
    -Unhappy with poor drafting = have we not heard about the 20 year old monkeys the Treasury is filled with?

She gets top marks for all of it as far as I'm concerned.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    glw said:

AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

Is not wrong.

Basically we have five shit candidates amply demonstrating what it is about modern politics that pisses off the public.
    The public wanted Boris Johnson after this vote.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

Lowlander said:

HaroldO said:

@HaroldO

"... So Scotland would charge corp tax on earnings rather than profit ..."

It wouldn't be called Corporation Tax, of course, but that is actually a very good idea. It is simple to collect, hard to evade and chops the power of the multi-nationals (as well as their costs). The rate needs to be set at the right level to make it fair for both parties, but overall I think it a sound scheme. It is also not unheard of, until 1964 it was how companies were taxed in the UK.

Oh yes, if it was unilateral then it would work but if only Scotland enacted it then a whole new industry would just spring up in avoiding it.
    Think of it as a sales tax, Mr. O, you make a sale then there is an invoice the government takes n% of the amount on that invoice. Very hard to evade once you get above the cowboy builder level.

I'd also introduce draconian penalties on the directors of any company that were caught evading tax. Disqualification for life, fines levied on their personal wealth (not that of the company), long mandatory prison sentences - that sort of thing.
    A 2% revenue tax (without any allowances or rebates) replacing a 20% corp tax would be a very useful and positive step in terms of the whole economy. It would slash the accounting costs of business, it would eliminate tax avoidance and improve government finances overall.

Of course, it would also put a lot of accountants on the dole which, especially the more "skillful" ones. Which is why it probably won't happen.

A revenue tax would also hurt: new businesses, investing business, hiring businesses, and businesses in difficulties.

All of which would harm the economy, which is the real reason it won't happen.

Also, it would mean that low-margin businesses (like manufacturing and retail) which employ real people would be particularly screwed.

I would also point out that we already have a revenue based tax: VAT.
    Ah, I am glad you brought up the subject of VAT. It was introduced as a requirement of our membership of the EEC. It is not a natural phenomena or even an Act of God. It does not have to exist once we leave the EU.

Keeping VAT, once we are out would be in the hands of the government. I smell some interesting possibilities. How about abolish VAT and Corporation tax but introduce a Sales Tax? Get the tax rate right and all sides could benefit.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    tyson said:

How relevant are out political parties? Well you can see on the betfair next leader markets- the betting amounts arguably reflects their relevance to the day.

There is over 2mill staked on the Tory contest.
    126k on Labour, a bit piss poor.

And, what do you think about the LD's? 10 mill...no. 100k....no. It is........a sum and proud total of £46.

The first is happening, the second is perpetually imminent, and the third is not imminent at all.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @nick_clegg: Britain must have a general election before activating article 50. My article for the @guardian https://t.co/QggcjciwIk
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Civil service drafting is terrible. It's the standard complaint of anyone with commercial experience when they come into contact with it. I can't hold that against Leadsom, even if I think she's basically undercooked when it comes to being a credible PM.
    All of those 'points' could just as easily be worded in Leadom's favour. Especially not being liked by OSBORNE of all people.
    -Bad at making decisions = insisted on making well informed decisions and wouldn't be bounced into going along with what Osborne wanted
    -Blamed the EU for everything = refused to ignore it like the elephant in the room it clearly was
    -Unhappy with poor drafting = have we not heard about the 20 year old monkeys the Treasury is filled with?

She gets top marks for all of it as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd agree that these remarks all come from Treasury sources that are likely to be pro-Osborne, who as any fule kno is not a Leadsom fan.

She's OK, she's just not ready for the top job. May's the least worst alternative.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    AndyJS said:
    The BBC was often referred to as "Auntie".

Scott_P said:

@nick_clegg: Britain must have a general election before activating article 50. My article for the @guardian https://t.co/QggcjciwIk

Would be fitting if he lost his seat after it....
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    Leadsomites are telling me that despite me being a Tory member since I was 18/for over 19 years, I'm not a real Tory
  • Article 50 might not indeed get invoked, but I think we need to be very, very careful about how we go forward with Brexit. I'm not talking about the details of EEA/EFTA or freedom on movement. I'm talking about the need to bin, once and for all, any notion that we need Political Union with the EU. The likes of Blair, Geldof, Lammy and marching for Europe might want us to reconsider the referendum, but if that results in a stitch up where we stay in an unreformed EU, then I genuinely think there will be civil unrest. We need some Europe, not more Europe.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    BoJo: "It was wrong of the Government to offer the public a binary choice on the EU without being willing – in the event that people voted Leave – to explain how this can be made to work in the interests of the UK and Europe."

In other words, "Not me guv."
    Scott_P said:

Ironic that the man who introduced fixed-term parliaments now wants an early election.
  • MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    kle4 said:

MontyHall said:

kle4 said:

Many Leavers are worried about an 'establishment' stitch up, and how that applies to article 50 negotiations. Leadsome may well surprise and win this despite her weaknesses, as any sign of caution (or even simple lack of recklessness) from May will be presented as equivocation at best and duplicity at worst. The certainty of declaring as soon as the contest is done and dusted, and in the hands of a Leaver, may see her through.

Even if May wins the pressure will be enormous and she'll have explained in the next month her strategy - can she really delay declaring until 2018? I'm doubtful. I'd put early 2017 as the most likely and the place therefore to find value.

"an 'establishment' stitch up"

A remainer leading both main parties & Tony Blair in charge of Brexit?

Circle the wagons!
    I have heard it said in recent days that Gove is not a Brexiter, he was a Cameron plant solely to destroy Boris, and that only with a true leaver can we stop all immigration and kick out those already here. I am hoping the less strict Leave option wins out, its the version I want, there are plenty angry enough and paranoid enough to be suspicious of anything.
    Seems to me that a General Election is the fairest way to sort this mess out. Even if Labour won and retained all the elements of FOM at least it would be legitimate.

A PM, unelected by the public, who doesn't trigger article 50 is the worst of all worlds, democratically speaking.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited July 2016
    What a refreshing weekend.

Now, have we been through at length La Leadsom's view, as espoused at her lecture and dissected this morning on Pienaar, that leaving the EU would be a disaster?

If so, sorry to have missed it. If anyone had a moment to run through the arguments.

And while I think there are strong candidates on here to be able to do so, nevertheless I think it right that a Leaver should do the explaining.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

To which the obvious question must be, if he thought UK exports could be increased by him getting out on the road why the fuck hasn't he been doing it for the last 12 months?

Either this story is bollocks or Javid has been an even bigger disappointment than I thought.
    I think the second point ;-)
    Alas, Mr. Johnno, so do I. I had such I hopes for that man, I even tipped him on here as the next Conservative leader. What a useless tosser he has turned out to be.

Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    Leadsomites are telling me that despite me being a Tory member since I was 18/for over 19 years, I'm not a real Tory
    That's very Corbynite of them. What the fuck is wrong with this country? It's like some crazed riff on Eco's 'The Name of a Rose'. We'll be debating how many true Tories can dance on the head of a pin next.
  • Daily Telegraph : "Angela Merkel 'to oust Jean-Claude Juncker' as Europe splits deepen over Brexit response"

It's already very clear that Germany is ready to play her strong hand in ensuring that the UK remains within the EU - unlike the rather unpleasant, spiteful Juncker who would have us out tomorrow were that possible, the Germans fully recognise on which side its bread is buttered across a whole range of issues of which trade concerns are but one. The betting odds certainly suggest that the serving of Article 50 is unlikely to happen any time soon.
    Perhaps an enterprising bookie will offer a market as to when the wine-loving Juncker will be sacked?
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: Batshit crazy Dominic Cummings, bringing new meaning to the phrase 'Quiet Bat People'... #TTOI #EUref
    https://t.co/95fJ6rV7HP

Pretty damning for Remain to lose to a campaign run by someone described as batshit crazy.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

"So 17 million people voted for a revolutionary change in the way we are governed, and the result is going to be Theresa May. These ignored multitudes were not, I think, hoping for yet another Blairite robot, a living symbol of everything that is wrong with our political system. But this is what they are going to get.

They were voting for a change on the EU, nothing said they were looking for a change around who we are governed by and in what manner apart from that. I don't recall the UK political system being altered being on the ballot.

It would be an apposite time for some major changes elsewhere. But noone voted for it.
    Every utterance of Peter Hitchens is filled with bile and hatred. He hates the world, probably because he despises himself.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Trying to make constitution change without a GE mandate is foolish. The only mandate there is, is Out. The options for how need sign-off.
    tyson said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

Is not wrong.

No, people were becoming doubtful before his campaign imploded. We all know he is good fun but the view that you wouldn't put him in charge was widespread.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    The market is at evens on David Cameron or Corbyn to leave their post first.

We know David Cameron will step down, at latest, on September 9. It could be sooner.

Labour leadership contests take 2 to 3 months. It is far from clear that Corbyn would lose, he might win. Even if he loses, it might take longer than 9 September, and every day is now counting on that one. The only risk is that Corbyn goes and they coronate, rather than elect, a successor. I think that's more a 25% shot than even money.

I have stuck £15 on Cameron.
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    That's very Corbynite of them. What the fuck is wrong with this country? It's like some crazed riff on Eco's 'The Name of a Rose'. We'll be debating how many true Tories can dance on the head of a pin next.
    I've had these Corbynites telling me that they've got the party back....although they seem about 10, and I have done voluntary work for the Labour party for 20 years or more, and paid for it too.
  • LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

Did he miss the bit where the UK just had an election over Article 50?

Out means out and the UK voted out.

Of all the confusion and lies about the EU referendum, the fact that a Leave vote would trigger Article 50 was not something anyone was confused about.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,048
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    TSE is a standard issue troll. He sets out to upset people and them comes over like a shocked maiden aunt when they respond. See also Tyson's posts here.
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

How relevant are out political parties? Well you can see on the betfair next leader markets- the betting amounts arguably reflects their relevance to the day.

And, what do you think about the LD's? 10 mill...no. 100k....no. It is........a sum and proud total of £46.

The first is happening, the second is perpetually imminent, and the third is not imminent at all.

OK...I know. I was just mischief making. If you cannot have a poke at the LD's expense what is the world coming to?
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

MontyHall said:

kle4 said:

Many Leavers are worried about an 'establishment' stitch up, and how that applies to article 50 negotiations. Leadsome may well surprise and win this despite her weaknesses, as any sign of caution (or even simple lack of recklessness) from May will be presented as equivocation at best and duplicity at worst. The certainty of declaring as soon as the contest is done and dusted, and in the hands of a Leaver, may see her through.

Even if May wins the pressure will be enormous and she'll have explained in the next month her strategy - can she really delay declaring until 2018? I'm doubtful. I'd put early 2017 as the most likely and the place therefore to find value.

"an 'establishment' stitch up"

A remainer leading both main parties & Tony Blair in charge of Brexit?

Circle the wagons!
    I have heard it said in recent days that Gove is not a Brexiter, he was a Cameron plant solely to destroy Boris, and that only with a true leaver can we stop all immigration and kick out those already here. I am hoping the less strict Leave option wins out, its the version I want, there are plenty angry enough and paranoid enough to be suspicious of anything.
    Which would make all the top people on the leave side either plants or closet remainers doing a nifty career move, except for Farage, and even Farage was thought to prefer a narrow loss. So a campaign run entirely by people who either didn't believe it and/or didn't actually want to win, nevertheless won. You couldn't make it up.

And surely MI5 must have had a plant in there as well...
    tyson said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    I've had these Corbynites telling me that they've got the party back....although they seem about 10, and I have done voluntary work for the Labour party for 20 years or more, and paid for it too.
    If nothing else we're privileged to be alive to witness the birth of so many new religions. Apparently people don't want politicians, they want prophets.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

Of all the confusion and lies about the EU referendum, the fact that a Leave vote would trigger Article 50 was not something anyone was confused about.
    Yes, it could not have been clearer what we voted about. A stitch-up is going to make a lot of people very angry.
  • DimitryDimitry Posts: 49
    edited July 2016
    I'm just back in from seeing Opera North's Gotterdammerung at the Royal Festival Hall where I found myself sitting behind George Osborne. I can't report he had any reaction when the deceitful traitor (Hagen) stabbed the big blond hero (Siegfried) in the back, but he did visibly flinch at a surtitle line that started something like "May the power ...."
    edited July 2016
    Guido's latest numbers:

May 90
    Leadsom 27
    Gove 24
    Crabb 22
    Fox 9
    Undecided 158

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19mKbV0UnIbX_lbiinKiquP0ghiFpsMl0owUO6_TJyzI/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Fox has 0 female MP supporters and Gove 5.
    edited July 2016
    tyson said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

OK...I know. I was just mischief making. If you cannot have a poke at the LD's expense what is the world coming to?
    You won't be laughing when they sweep to power next time! Or maybe you will.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,780
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

While Out means Out, we do need some kind of way of determining exactly what form of Out the country wants.

I know that everyone here has their own views - that the country demands exactly what they want - and can (no doubt) gather up polling evidence to back up their views. But we don't actually know what people want.

No government has been elected on a mandate to push for a particular relationship with Europe. Either we need the parties to stand on platforms for the relationship they believe in; or we need to have another referendum. (Not an In vs Out referendum, but an Out 1 vs Out 2 one.)

Ah, I am glad you brought up the subject of VAT. It was introduced as a requirement of our membership of the EEC. It is not a natural phenomena or even an Act of God. It does not have to exist once we leave the EU.

Keeping VAT, once we are out would be in the hands of the government. I smell some interesting possibilities. How about abolish VAT and Corporation tax but introduce a Sales Tax? Get the tax rate right and all sides could benefit.

VAT is a much less economically distorting tax than a sales tax.

See (among others): https://www.quora.com/What-is-value-added-tax-What-is-the-difference-between-VAT-and-sales-tax

I would also point out that if we had (for example) a free trade agreement with France, and they had no sales tax, then all low margin businesses that could be delivered from off-shore would be delivered from France. Of course, you could bin the free trade agreements to get around that, but that wouldn't do the economy any favours either.
    SeanT said:

Daily Telegraph : "Angela Merkel 'to oust Jean-Claude Juncker' as Europe splits deepen over Brexit response"

It's already very clear that Germany is ready to play her strong hand in ensuring that the UK remains within the EU - unlike the rather unpleasant, spiteful Juncker who would have us out tomorrow were that possible, the Germans fully recognise on which side its bread is buttered across a whole range of issues of which trade concerns are but one. The betting odds certainly suggest that the serving of Article 50 is unlikely to happen any time soon.
    Perhaps an enterprising bookie will offer a market as to when the wine-loving Juncker will be sacked?

The EU could still save this is they offer a bloody emergency brake on Free Movement.

It's not even as if this is unheard of: they put a brake on Free Movement from the A8 countries (Poland et al) when they joined.

It is utterly ludicrous that the EU cannot compromise on this to save its second largest economy from quitting
    Juppe has already suggested some openness on that and he is a frontrunner for the French presidency next year, he would certainly be more amenable than Hollande. The Germans may be less keen. However ICM today showed 67% of voters think the most important task for the next PM is to steady the economy, 28% think the most important task is to tackle immigration.
    An absolute end to free movement then is only a priority for just over a quarter of the electorate, they may comprise a small majority of Leave voters but they do not comprise a majority of the country as a whole when you add up Remain voters and more liberal minded Leavers!
  • scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Panelbase poll of Westminster voting intentions (Scotland-only) :

SNP 50%
    Conservatives 19%
    Labour 18%
    Liberal Democrats 5%

This from Scotland Goes Pop an excellent site. Looks like sunset for Labour and another sunrise for our Nicola.
    AndyJS said:

Guido's latest numbers:

May 90
    Leadsom 27
    Gove 24
    Crabb 22
    Fox 9
    Undecided 158

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19mKbV0UnIbX_lbiinKiquP0ghiFpsMl0owUO6_TJyzI/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Fox has nine supporters??? What kind of idiots support him?

(I have some sympathy with his ideological views. But rate his competence as close to zero.)
    Labour MPs supporting Jeremy Corbyn are urgently seeking ways to avoid a historic divide in the party after their leader’s continued refusal to resign set the party on track for a ferocious leadership battle.

As Unite leader, Len McCluskey, called Corbyn a “man of steel” and described the attempted coup as a “political lynching of a decent man”, allies of the leader admitted that they were considering what type of deal might satisfy the rebels. In a bullish interview, McCluskey said MPs should allow the trade unions to broker a peace deal.

Party grandees including Lord Kinnock and at least one challenger to Corbyn, Angela Eagle, have continued to claim that support from the party’s members is ebbing away from the leader.

On Sunday, there were some initial signs of a cooling off between the two sides. Tom Watson, widely seen as a go-between from the parliamentary party and the Corbyn-backing unions, is understood to have welcomed McCluskey’s comments, which are seen as a sign that a “negotiated settlement” of some sort may still be possible.

One politician close to Corbyn told the Guardian it is “50-50” whether Corbyn would win again, but said that if he did then one option could be a collective leadership with a “kitchen cabinet” representing different wings of the party.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/03/labour-seeks-avoid-party-divide-as-corbyn-continues-to-refuse-resignation
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

Daily Telegraph : "Angela Merkel 'to oust Jean-Claude Juncker' as Europe splits deepen over Brexit response"

The EU could still save this is they offer a bloody emergency brake on Free Movement.

It's not even as if this is unheard of: they put a brake on Free Movement from the A8 countries (Poland et al) when they joined.

It is utterly ludicrous that the EU cannot compromise on this to save its second largest economy from quitting
    "ze principles are ze principles"

The trouble is, it's not just free movement is it? My view is the last quarter of a century of EU history has just been the world's slowest coup. It's the Commission + Parliament versus the Council.

Just in the last week(!) we've seen the plans for an EU army, Juncker trying to ratify CETA without national parliamentary approval, trying to monopolise Brexit negotiations and Schulz calling for a proper EU government.

edited July 2016
    edit
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Angela Merkel ousting Jean-Claude Juncker would spark a new constitutional crisis in the EU. He laid claim to his post by virtue of being the spritzenkandidat of the largest grouping in the European Parliament. This was accepted by the EU government leaders (in the teeth of David Cameron's opposition). If government leaders can now sack the Commission President, how are Commission Presidents to be chosen in future?
  • scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    ALSO FROM SCOTLAND GOES POP

My own favourite Gove moment (apart from the 'clean for the Queen' photo, obviously, which is everyone's favourite) was back in 2003, when he was still a journalist and pundit. He appeared on STV on the morning after the Holyrood election, which had brought mixed fortunes for the pro-independence movement - the SNP had suffered losses, but the overall number of pro-independence MSPs had slightly increased. Gove declared that, to his surprise, George Robertson had been proved right, and that devolution had killed Scottish nationalism stone dead after all.

For the Tories' sake, I hope his political antenna has improved since then.

GOVE WAS AT IT AGAIN THIS MORNING IN THAT STRANGE INTERVIEW WITH ANDREW MARR DECLARING THAT THERE WAS NO DEMAND IN SCOTLAND FOR A SECOND INDY REF. IT USED TO BE THE MEN IN GREY SUITS WHO DID FOR TORY LEADERS. COULD IT BE THE PEOPLE IN WHITE COATS WHO DO FOR GOVE.
    edited July 2016
    del
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Juppe has already suggested some openness on that and he is a frontrunner for the French presidency next year, he would certainly be more amenable than Hollande. The Germans may be less keen. However ICM today showed 67% of voters think the most important task for the next PM is to steady the economy, 28% think the most important task is to tackle immigration.
    An absolute end to free movement then is only a priority for just over a quarter of the electorate, they may comprise a small majority of Leave voters but they do not comprise a majority of the country as a whole when you add up Remain voters and more liberal minded Leavers!
    Yes, but to replay the vote (should the UK government be so minded) you need a MAJOR concession. That has to be a surrender from the EU on Free Movement (and quite a big one - I'd suggest a semi-permanent brake related to population density)

Nothing else will justify a second referendum on the EU.
    As a convinced Remainer I agree 100%.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:

Peter Hitchens:

Is not wrong.

No, people were becoming doubtful before his campaign imploded. We all know he is good fun but the view that you wouldn't put him in charge was widespread.
    Boris was (and is) most likely to win a general election campaign, all things being equal.

But the question was always how to get through to the start of the campaign.

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Yes, but to replay the vote (should the UK government be so minded) you need a MAJOR concession. That has to be a surrender from the EU on Free Movement (and quite a big one - I'd suggest a semi-permanent brake related to population density)

I doubt there will ever be such a major concession, if it came the game would be up and EU nations could hold referendums all over the place with the sure knowledge the EU would have to cave in to what was demanded. So I think we are still out but clearly most UK voters may be willing to accept membership of EFTA even with free movement as long as they are outside the EU
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Just catching up-excellent post by Nick Palmer.
    edited July 2016

Angela Merkel ousting Jean-Claude Juncker would spark a new constitutional crisis in the EU. He laid claim to his post by virtue of being the spritzenkandidat of the largest grouping in the European Parliament. This was accepted by the EU government leaders (in the teeth of David Cameron's opposition). If government leaders can now sack the Commission President, how are Commission Presidents to be chosen in future?

The CDU comprise the largest group in Juncker's EPP grouping by far, one click of Merkel's fingers and her CDU MEPs can topple him and replace him with one more amenable. It was the EPP which was elected in the European Parliament elections not Juncker
    SeanT said:

The UK doesn't want an emergency brake. The economy is being propped up by huge numbers of immigrants.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

A temporary brake on immigration is a minor concession at best. It still does not address any of the other reasons why voters backed Leave.

The PM would also face a vote of no confidence.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Con Home and Guido have both just added Philip Hammond to the list of May supporters.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

The trouble is, it's not just free movement is it? My view is the last quarter of a century of EU history has just been the world's slowest coup. It's the Commission + Parliament versus the Council.

Just in the last week(!) we've seen the plans for an EU army, Juncker trying to ratify CETA without national parliamentary approval, trying to monopolise Brexit negotiations and Schulz calling for a proper EU government.

It begs the question why Cameron didn't keep pressing for something on Free Movement. He could have gone on for another twelve months on this. What was his rush? Oh, well, he's toast now, as is our economy.
    edited July 2016
    Entirely OT - but I feel the need to sense check this with collective PB wisdom after a day of rest: if one were looking at a provincial commercial proposed letting (A1, second st in a small town 2.5 hours from London) with PA rent at almost 3x the Rateable value and a gross charge of 1/4 of the PA rent, would one think the a) agents or b) the landlord or c) both were being unrealistic?
    Dimitry said:

I'm just back in from seeing Opera North's Gotterdammerung at the Royal Festival Hall where I found myself sitting behind George Osborne. I can't report he had any reaction when the deceitful traitor (Hagen) stabbed the big blond hero (Siegfried) in the back, but he did visibly flinch at a surtitle line that started something like "May the power ...."

Must have realised who will soon be calling the shots
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Guido's latest numbers:

May 90
    Leadsom 27
    Gove 24
    Crabb 22
    Fox 9
    Undecided 158

Fox has nine supporters??? What kind of idiots support him?

(I have some sympathy with his ideological views. But rate his competence as close to zero.)
    Crick has May on 107, Gove 31.
    scotslass said:

Panelbase poll of Westminster voting intentions (Scotland-only) :

SNP 50%
    Conservatives 19%
    Labour 18%
    Liberal Democrats 5%

This from Scotland Goes Pop an excellent site. Looks like sunset for Labour and another sunrise for our Nicola.

Scotland appears to know who is on their side.

John_M said:

SeanT said:

It begs the question why Cameron didn't keep pressing for something on Free Movement. He could have gone on for another twelve months on this. What was his rush? Oh, well, he's toast now, as is our economy.
    The FTSE up already beyond what it was pre-BREXIT suggests the economy will be fine
    MikeL said:

Con Home and Guido have both just added Philip Hammond to the list of May supporters.

Next CoE odds coming in?
  • MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

A temporary brake on immigration is a minor concession at best. It still does not address any of the other reasons why voters backed Leave.

Indeed ..... it's simply not going to happen. A major change of policy on EU migration would be required and that isn't going to happen either, unless forced on the member states. Tricky to see any solution, short of a second, Irish-style referendum, which must be extremely unlikely.
    tyson said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Which is amazing
    Sadly, they may have to learn the hard, bitter, way that 'getting their party back' is irrelevant and changes nothing. Winning power is what changes things. It is going to be a very long ten years.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

No, but as we should be sure what position we are going to take in the negotiations, and there is an argument we should do that via GE before declaring article 50. I don't think the argument is cast iron but it's there.

The sort of earth shattering change that would justify asking people to confirm that they no longer want out is both very improbable and politically may be impossible to follow through.
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

The FTSE up already beyond what it was pre-BREXIT suggests the economy will be fine
    Irrelevant. The FTSE 100 is responding to temporary benefits of sterling falls for foreign earnings and BoE effectively promising more QE and all sorts of ways to buy up assets.
  • shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

I doubt there be another uk Ref in the active lifetime of our current pols.

They are frit that, even with project fear and all the table tilting, they might STILL lose.

The counter-revolution will take place, safely, at one step remove from the people, in the HoP, courts, EU 'redlines' etc

• HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

All is not quite how it appears unfortunately. Although the FTSE 100 index rose strongly on each and every day last week, it was as a result of large rises by those companies with strong overseas earnings, which stand to benefit from a devalued pound. A number of domestic oriented companies on the other hand, remain very substantially below their pre-referendum levels.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MP_SE said:

What do people want on immigration? For me, something like this:

1. visa-less tourist, student and business travel for EU citizens, still use the UK and EU citizens track
    2. grandfathered residency, access to services and social welfare benefits, right to work and naturalization after the appropriate residency for all EU citizens in the UK at the time of Brexit referendum
    3. automatic work visas for EU citizens obtaining a validated full-time job offer in the UK.
    4. the right of EU investors to move to the UK with their investment, same rules as non-EU
    5. the right of EU citizens to retire, or to move to UK on other savings, same rules as non-EU..

For those not grandfathered in for residency:
    a. taxation gives rights to all services (e.g. NHS) but no social welfare benefits for first 3 years
    b. residency and citizenship rights as per non-EU citizens

These are just first thoughts, and would require reciprocal treatment for UK citizens with EU countries. Regardless of what you might think is negotiable with the EU, what do others on PB think of this, or what would they want in an ideal world? And for Remainers, what would you want understanding that Brexit will happen?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    MTimT said:

And for Remainers, what would you want understanding that Brexit will happen?

Let people come and go as they please, everybody considered resident enough to have to pay taxes and NI can claim benefits. Simple, low-bureaucracy, better for existing UK taxpayers than any of the high-administration, job-killing alternatives.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Cameron was putting party before country. He wanted a quick process to give the Consevatives as much time to heal or the next General Election as possible.
This discussion has been closed.