Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Trump does win it will make a mockery of the “rule” that th

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Votcastr have gone on a break now?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd lose about £500 on that map right now. I err think..

I'd lose about £1.4K. But hopefully I'd have closed off my position tonight to mitigate the damage!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm off for a siesta...wake me up suckers if something exciting happens......
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Votecastr has an identical Trump figure to 538: both 43.6%. The difference is 538 has Clinton 47.7%, VC has 46.3%.

A few more Clinton voters going for Stein then predicted?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    O/T should I take up the Irish passport I've just been offered?

:innocent:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Pulpstar said:

I'd lose about £500 on that map right now. I err think..

I'd lose about £1.4K. But hopefully I'd have closed off my position tonight to mitigate the damage!
    If Brexit is anything to go by, even if the early results indicate a Trump victory, you'll have plenty of time to gracefully exit your positions.
  • Options
    JackW said:

National Tracker - Final Poll - Survey Monkey/NBC - Sample 70,194 - 31 Oct - 7 Nov

Clinton 51 .. Trump 44

https://www.scribd.com/document/330243723/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-1031-11-6

If Trump wins, f8 the polls.......
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    Clinton 42 Trump 38 on favourability is conceivably level within the MoE and if you accept the theory of the Shy Right.

It certainly isn't an overwhelming gap.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112

MikeK said:

My new forecast:
    Trump wins by 1.12%

Given your 120 UKIP MP prediction, can we assume this means Hillary wins by 0.07%?
    That would be a fun night...and day or two!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Pulpstar said:

If Trump wins is anyone going to trust opinion polling ever again ?

Well I'll only trust the LA Times poll
    Current LA Times is Trump 3.6 I think - that probably overestimates it as swingback following decision not to pursue Clinton after all isn't complete.
    That's probably true, but 3.6% is phew .... 3.6%. What sort of history does the LA Times have I wonder in terms of its polling accuracy?
    With the likes of UK headquartered YouGov very much involved this time, I suspect the methodologies have changed somewhat since 2012.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    nunu said:

Why not - the BBC/ Sky/ ITV have to spend long periods talking about nothing in particular on election nights. Even after Sunderland comes in there are big gaps before the tempo of results starts picking up.

Wonder why just Colorado? Only state Clinton leading?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Andrew said:

Votecastr has an identical Trump figure to 538: both 43.6%. The difference is 538 has Clinton 47.7%, VC has 46.3%.

What's Votecastr? Never heard of it until now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,891
    chestnut said:

Clinton 42 Trump 38 on favourability is conceivably level within the MoE and if you accept the theory of the Shy Right.

It certainly isn't an overwhelming gap.

Add in all the votes for Johnson and Stein, the reported high numbers of writeins for Sanders/Romney/your mum/whoever and some plain spoiled ballots, the absolute numbers for Hillary and Donald could be lower than expected.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

It's a new online thing that's supposed to track ballots as actually cast in a few swing states. Technical problems so far on the key areas...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Charles said:

Definitely. I'm considering getting a Portuguese one. Just to be safe.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

It's a new online thing that's supposed to track ballots as actually cast in a few swing states. Technical problems so far on the key areas...
    Thanks. I think it's technically illegal for them to do this.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

In the way voodoo polls are banned on PB, voter turn out anecdotes should also be verboten.

I kind of sympathise with that view – but what else would we post on election day itself?
    Discussion of electoral systems, AV vs PR^2.....throws hand grenade and runs for the door...
    Agree. Time for an AV thread.
    2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Why is a technologically advanced country like the US still using an electoral college voting system designed for the circumstances of over 200 years ago.
    They should count the Presidential votes for the country as a whole, using AV of course.
    No more swing states, except for Congress.
    Because changing the constitution is hard and the reform wouldn't worth the political capital that would need to be spent.

I imagine that the swing states like their status - it means they get lots of attention from candidates and presidents alike. You only need 13 states to oppose and you have a blocking majority.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

A poor attempt to count voters at polling stations in swing states by demographic information, and extrapolate results from them based on prior interviews - with lots of hype and 'edginess', apps and social media. Failing badly so far.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

It says its conveying real-time exit polls on 6 battleground states (which is new - exit polls are normally only released after voting closes). If it proves accurate and is allowed to continue then it is a great boon to people who live and die by elections. If it is no better than push-polling then this will be the one and only performance.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016
    Charles said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

In the way voodoo polls are banned on PB, voter turn out anecdotes should also be verboten.

I kind of sympathise with that view – but what else would we post on election day itself?
    Discussion of electoral systems, AV vs PR^2.....throws hand grenade and runs for the door...
    2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Why is a technologically advanced country like the US still using an electoral college voting system designed for the circumstances of over 200 years ago.
    They should count the Presidential votes for the country as a whole, using AV of course.
    Because it's a federation not a single country
    ECV isn't such a bad system surely, with adjustments made for population shifts. It just needs a degree of PR to be introduced, so that if I'm a Republican living on either the Western or Eastern Seaboards, I don't spend my entire adult life wasting my vote. The same of course applies equally to Democrats living in GOP dominated States. Just imagine queuing for hours on end for absolutely no useful purpose - it's amazing that turnouts reach the levels they do.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on it as being reliable. Seems to be an exit poll which assumes that the amount of votes at 10.00 in the morning will be the same as the amount of votes at 4.00 in the afternoon.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andrew said:

Nooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

You unpatriotic leavers, I thought you voted Leave to get a proper UK passport, sans the nasty colour and words of the European Union.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

They are very keen to point out it isn't an exit poll.

All they appear to be doing is counting blacks, whites, women, men, young and old as they vote but without interviewing them today. They did the interviews previously, and think they can call the election based purely on the demographics turning up.
  • Options

Charles said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

ECV isn't such a bad system surely, with adjustments made for population shifts. It just needs a degree of PR to be introduced, so that if I'm a Republican living on either the Western or Eastern Seaboards, I don't spend my entire adult life wasting my vote. The same of course applies equally to Democrats living in GOP dominated States.
    I like it in general, it just isn't designed for some states to be so much bigger (in people/ECV) than others. Back in the day they would have partitioned California by now.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

nunu said:

Why not - the BBC/ Sky/ ITV have to spend long periods talking about nothing in particular on election nights. Even after Sunderland comes in there are big gaps before the tempo of results starts picking up.

Wonder why just Colorado? Only state Clinton leading?
    Because of the all postal voting they have lots of data to analyse.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

All they appear to be doing is counting blacks, whites, women, men, young and old as they vote but without interviewing them today. They did the interviews previously, and think they can call the election based purely on the demographics turning up.
    Why not go that extra tiny step and ask people how they voted?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

If Trump wins is anyone going to trust opinion polling ever again ?

Not until they prove themselves in a tight election. The UK election which is just around the corner isn't going to help because it will be a blowout.
    There can be (almost) as much to bet on in a landslide as in a tight election - and landslides can be useful in testing corrections for shy voters, for example (not that that necessarily helps if by the next election those voters aren't shy any more).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

It's a bit more complicated than that; it's more probabalistic than an exit poll.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

You unpatriotic leavers, I thought you voted Leave to get a proper UK passport, sans the nasty colour and words of the European Union.
    Why not both ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Because that's what would make it an illegal exit poll!
  • Options
    Looks like Colorado is Clinton +2.7 after all.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nooooooooooooooo

Was just a guess :-) There's no data on Stein/Johnson there, just the big two. It was just interesting to me they had exactly the same as 538 for the Trump figure, to one decimal place.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Why not both ;)
    You cannot be a true Brit if you have another country's passport.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Because changing the constitution is hard and the reform wouldn't worth the political capital that would need to be spent.

I imagine that the swing states like their status - it means they get lots of attention from candidates and presidents alike. You only need 13 states to oppose and you have a blocking majority.
    Changing the constitution is more than difficult - it's well nigh impossible these days.
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Why not both ;)
    I saw the remake of True Brit while I was in Denver, in early 2011.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, by that logic someone can't be a Yorkshireman if they join Lancashire cricket club...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Right, I should have read the further replies.. apparently it's illegal to do an exit poll?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Well they did burn your family out a generation or two ago
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Why not both ;)
    What about non-EU countries like Switzerland?
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Why not both ;)
    A fair point, unless it's a passport from one of HM's other realms, then it's alright.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,409
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Right, I should have read the further replies.. apparently it's illegal to do an exit poll?
    Not illegal to do one, probably highly illegal to report it whilst voting is going on.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, by that logic someone can't be a Yorkshireman if they join Lancashire cricket club...

Nah, I did it as an England cricket fan.

It becomes easier to get tickets for England matches at Old Trafford if you're a member.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Not in America. Its just a convention since 1980 for the networks not to call the country until polls close on the mainland.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Why not both ;)
    What about non-EU countries like Switzerland?
    Still applies, especially to a country that speaks French.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555
    The most recent amendment to the US Consitution took over two centuries to ratify...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-seventh_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Because that's what would make it an illegal exit poll!
    That'll teach me for replying before drinking a single sip of my coffee.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LadPolitics: BREXIT odds on morning of June 23:
    1/4 REMAIN
    3/1 LEAVE

Current #ElectionDay odds:
    1/4 CLINTON
    3/1 TRUMP
  • Options
    You can get at the votecastr live data:

http://votecastr.us/widgets/#/states/FL

• Options

Charles said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

ECV isn't such a bad system surely, with adjustments made for population shifts. It just needs a degree of PR to be introduced, so that if I'm a Republican living on either the Western or Eastern Seaboards, I don't spend my entire adult life wasting my vote. The same of course applies equally to Democrats living in GOP dominated States. Just imagine queuing for hours on end for absolutely no useful purpose - it's amazing that turnouts reach the levels they do.
    Mr. Putney, aside from the queuing issue, are those issues exactly the same one we have we safe seats over here. The ECV thing is also analogous to the selection of the PM, we vote for MPs some of whom then control who will get the top job.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You've been offered it on the street?

I'm a Unionist in NI yet I will probably/almost certainly take advantage of residency/marriage etc rights to an EU passport when UK leaves. In my defence, I voted Remain.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Not in America. Its just a convention since 1980 for the networks not to call the country until polls close on the mainland.
    I think there's an agreement whereby a small number of people in the newsrooms have access to the exit poll data as it comes in throughout the day, which is of course absolutely necessary in order to process the data. The problem is some people have taken exception to the fact that a "select group" of people have access to the data when they don't.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Changing the constitution is more than difficult - it's well nigh impossible these days.
    I guess it could be done if the Democratic and Republican Parties agreed, all you need is a few Statesmen at the top of each party ;-)
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Look at Penn - http://votecastr.us/widgets/#/states/PA

!!!
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Will be interesting to see how well/badly this does. The one thing that has irked me about this election is just how much everything is down to race (I think they are counting people based on the colour of their skin to call an election here?). I think it shows that the US is still a pretty racist country.
  • Options
    Mr. P, different systems and countries, though. I think the electoral college makes a surprise significantly less likely.

Well, that and Trump not exactly endearing himself to large sections of the electorate (a bit 'little Englander').

Mr. Eagles, if you say so, Mister Screaming 'Judas' Eagles.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Safe from what? What is this risk that you consider having a Portuguese passport will protect you from?
  • Options

Andrew said:

!!!
    OK, that can't be right!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

I read today that one organisation does 12 states - and the media consortium agrees to stay silent until all polls close. DYOR.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

!!!
    OK, that can't be right!
    If it is my map is in good shape.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Andrew said:

!!!
    OK, that can't be right!
    3.9%
    of expected votes observed
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Charles said:

You've been offered it on the street?

I'm a Unionist in NI yet I will probably/almost certainly take advantage of residency/marriage etc rights to an EU passport when UK leaves. In my defence, I voted Remain.
    I was thinking of getting an Irish one too.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

I think there's an agreement whereby a small number of people in the newsrooms have access to the exit poll data as it comes in throughout the day, which is of course absolutely necessary in order to process the data. The problem is some people have taken exception to the fact that a "select group" of people have access to the data when they don't.
    Like our Prof Curtice, whose team is locked up securely in some bunker at an undisclosed location for the duration of the count? Why would some people take exception to that?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

OK, that can't be right!

Tiny early voting in PA compared to the others, only 3.9% of expected votes. Colorado is near 60%, Florida 50%, Ohio 30%

You might get some odd biasing with such a small number of votes.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Andrew said:

That headline number is it for the whole us or just florida?
  • Options

RobD said:

Andrew said:

!!!
    OK, that can't be right!
    3.9%
    of expected votes observed
    Hah, okay!
  • Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhh the woman on votecastr is so annoying, can't wait till robots replaces her job.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

If that's the case why on earth are they being taken seriously on here?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

Andrew said:

!!!
    Clinton County goes 56% Trump! I thought Americans didn't do irony?
  • Options
    Will votecastr be banned by next time. Whole point of established media not doing this was it would influence other voters. But then again exit polls are used when CA is still voting.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

We are just working our what they're actually doing, and coming to a collective view that on the evidence so far it's likely to be rubbish!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is this a Brexit shock night or a Sindy Ref as expected night ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:
    Thanks - at the moment I assume results reflect democrat early voting advantage.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Scott_P said:

1/4 REMAIN
    3/1 LEAVE

1/4 CLINTON
    3/1 TRUMP

Could of got 15/1 for Leave on the evening of the referendum.

I got on at 10/1 ish and also at lower odds which saved me a lot of money.

Remain was something rediculous like 1.05 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Brexit - - - ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Ask me around 4am tomorrow morning
  • Options

Andrew said:

!!!
    Trump also doing well in Bradford, Berks and Northumberland, not to mention Beaver.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Andrew said:

RobD said:

OK, that can't be right!

Tiny early voting in PA compared to the others, only 3.9% of expected votes. Colorado is near 60%, Florida 50%, Ohio 30%

You might get some odd biasing with such a small number of votes.
    Yes PA doesn't have early voting – many/most DEMs at work in urban areas.

FL looking good for Hillary.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Andrew said:

That headline number is it for the whole us or just florida?

FL only.
  • Options

Will votecastr be banned by next time. Whole point of established media not doing this was it would influence other voters. But then again exit polls are used when CA is still voting.

I suspect the money will dry up if they are totally wrong.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

1/4 REMAIN
    3/1 LEAVE

1/4 CLINTON
    3/1 TRUMP

Could of got 15/1 for Leave on the evening of the referendum.

I got on at 10/1 ish and also at lower odds which saved me a lot of money.

Remain was something rediculous like 1.05 if I remember correctly.
    That has to be the most shocking post in the history of PB

COULD OF? COULD OF????

It is Could have!
  • Options
    LOL - Two topless female protestors arrested inside Trump's local polling station
    https://twitter.com/sharonclott/status/795980259824963584
  • Options
    FWIW, the Dow, S&P and NASDAQ indices are all very slightly lower, but steady - no clues there then!
  • Options
    Votecastr newsfeed is giving Clinton a 4% lead on a 40% votecount in Iowa, about 3.5% in Ohio on 30% votecount and 3.5% in FA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwGlqrP1-E

• Options
    If Trump wins - his peak price will be ? 10s ?
    And at what time - 2/3 AM ?

• Options
    Trump 5.2 on betfair. HC 1.23

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Safe from what? What is this risk that you consider having a Portuguese passport will protect you from?
    In case the UK descends into post-Brexit anarchy...
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Jobabob said:
    Thanks - at the moment I assume results reflect democrat early voting advantage.
    I would say so. But Trump quite a way behind nevertheless.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Votecastr newsfeed is giving Clinton a 4% lead on a 40% votecount in Iowa, about 3.5% in Ohio on 30% votecount and 3.5% in FA.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwGlqrP1-E

Based on 0 votes counted. I read their website, and I think they are making a false equivalence between their approach (counting people and noting demographics) and exit polls (where you bloody ask someone how they voted!).
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sweet FA??
  • Options

Andrew said:

!!!
    Trump also doing well in Bradford, Berks and Northumberland, not to mention Beaver.
    What do they mean when they say "% of expected votes observed" ??
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

Think we're more fascinated as to whether it is accurate for future ref than taking it entirely seriously. If Iowa goes blue, as this suggests, it could have been a profitable thing to follow.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

In case the UK descends into post-Brexit anarchy...
    So you're not staying to fix the mess you caused?

Tut tut
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Jobabob said:
    Is that a known/measured factor?
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwGlqrP1-E

Based on 0 votes counted. I read their website, and I think they are making a false equivalence between their approach (counting people and noting demographics) and exit polls (where you bloody ask someone how they voted!).
    Is that really what they're doing? That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Sweet FA??
    It perked me up from a snooze...but I'll try and get back to it....

The presenter though is really fit, so that helps
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Brexit - - - ?
    Could it be as tight as the Welsh Referendum? Probably not :)

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Sweet FA??
    It perked me up from a snooze...but I'll try and get back to it....

The presenter though is really fit, so that helps
    Have to say with the number of people in their 'newsroom' you would think they could keep going with the chat, rather than breaking off for longer breaks than they spend on air.

Lame effort, to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.