Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Macron still in 3rd place in French Presidential polling but i

Comments

• Trump does seem to be more serious and even a bit nervous. This is his first big press conference and good question by Laura K
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    If you had to choose anyone to stand next to to make yourself look good it would be Donald Trump. I've never seen her look more in command. Like Princess Di with Del Boy
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Chris_A said:

Those who want to remain on this forum seem to be getting more desperate and extreme in their comments and doom and gloom

I think there may be a place for a remain grief counsellor to help their peace of mind

No just pointing out the entirely foreseeable consequence to the idiots.
    Insults confirm my comments
    Fine don't take it personally. I think everyone of the 17 million is an idiot. You can't help it many of you were duped, misled and tricked.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    SeanT said:

Trump is actually being sane and almost.... lucid.

Have you started early on the gin this evening Sean?
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

Those who want to remain on this forum seem to be getting more desperate and extreme in their comments and doom and gloom

I think there may be a place for a remain grief counsellor to help their peace of mind

If the consequences of brexit were so foreseeable to you and so disastrous, then either you spent every spare hour you had in the weeks before the vote knocking on doors and manning phone lines to get the In vote out, or you are a complacent blowhard. Which?
    I donated to the Remain cause, yes.
  • malcolmg said:

Conversely G it is your goodself that is getting more euphoric.
    I am by nature a positive person and am confident that we can make a success of leaving and for Scotland too as I would want nothing less
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering what May will do to relax later. Gin and tonic probably won't cut it.
  • Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Fine don't take it personally. I think everyone of the 17 million is an idiot. You can't help it many of you were duped, misled and tricked.
    But I voted remain
  • So far this press conference is actually pretty okay.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
  • Jonathan said:

Buy some really, really expensive shoes!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    malcolmg said:

G's head is so far up Trumps erchie that I think he needs oxygen
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    Have you yet accepted that the referendum was advisory, or is it your view that the Supreme Court got it wrong?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Ms. Apocalypse, what are you making of May's performance?
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Do you seriously believe that? Really? You think the Leavers on here were duped, misled and tricked?
    Some needs to ask the Farage ambassador question
    John_M said:

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Do you seriously believe that? Really? You think the Leavers on here were duped, misled and tricked?
    Enough of them, yes absolutely.
  • SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but the EU wants our money, and it'd be cheaper for both of us to cut a deal.

Yes, but membership of, and the physical location of, those types of institution are exactly the kinds of issue over which minor EU27 players will see that they have veto power which can be put to good pork-barrelling use. We, and the EU as a whole, could easily suffer considerable collateral damage.
    There will be damage. Again, consider it akin to childbirth. Anticipate drooping, stretchmarks, piles, pain and enervating tedium. But, a child.
    More akin to chopping a leg off.
    No, if you chop a leg off, you get nothing back. You've lost a leg. is all.

Do you seriously believe there are NO upsides to taking back all our laws, government, rules, and democracy? To making our MPs responsible for EVERYTHING they do to us?

It's ridic to say this is all negative - "an amputation".
    No, but on balance it seems profoundly negative. Over 40 years, a lot of good legislation was imposed on us by the EU, e.g. the drinking water directive, the data protection directive. Meanwhile, Whitehall (i.e., the executive, overseen very badly by a parliament elected by FPTP) variously sought to abolish jury trial (Blair), created a regressive local government taxation system out of the wreckage of the poll tax (Thatcher), etc.

We don't yet know the cost of setting up UK government offices to do the work done for us by the EU for the net payment of £8 bn per year or so. It includes, e.g. writing and policing anti-trust legislation against companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Not cheap. Lots more to do besides.

Plus my European Health Insurance Card will no longer work and I'll need to take out medical insurance when I travel on the continent. As I did 20-40 years ago befpore the EHIC.
    Sorry but this is garbage yet again. If you don't have medical insurance when you travel in Europe then you are a fool. Moreover long before Blair tried to do anything to Jury trials it was being pursued by the EU as part of their Corpus Juris project to unify all EU law under one code.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited January 2017
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Do not be silly - Trump is not for me but Theresa May is and is a great credit to the nation
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684

malcolmg said:

I am by nature a positive person and am confident that we can make a success of leaving and for Scotland too as I would want nothing less
    Certainly much better than thinking glass is empty all the time.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    John_M said:

Some of them were doing the duping, misleading and tricking...

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

But I voted remain
    It that case I salute your indefatigable optimism. It'll be needed.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Mr. Voter, you should have such insurance when travelling in the EU anyway.

The health card only means you're not meant to be discriminated against, but if a member state only has minimal or no free healthcare, that's what you get.

I know you pay in the majority of EU countries but you should get the same terms as someone from that country would get. At least, that's what friends told me - he's English, she's a German citizen and they're very widely-travelled.
  • Ms. Apocalypse, what are you making of May's performance?

I think so far May is handling this 'situation' really well. I like her speech yesterday: especially her words on Russia, NATO etc. If she continues on this path I think fears (that I certainly had) that she would cosy up to Trump will be eased.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris_A said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris_A said:

If the consequences of brexit were so foreseeable to you and so disastrous, then either you spent every spare hour you had in the weeks before the vote knocking on doors and manning phone lines to get the In vote out, or you are a complacent blowhard. Which?
    I donated to the Remain cause, yes.
    Ah, the "donation in lieu" card, the last refuge of the apathetic scoundrel. I hope you realise this is all your fault.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Loved the Nato trap by May, going to be difficult for him now to keep to his previous stance on it.
    Mr. Voter, yes, that's my understanding too (not a traveller much but I did write about this sort of thing in the past). I would still advocate insurance anyway. In some countries you could end up with a hefty bill (for example, if you need an air ambulance).
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger , that is harsh
  • SeanT said:

YAY

He didn't goose her, or call the Queen a skank....

All slightly boring, and amiable, and exactly what they both wanted.

Some will be disappointed it didn't have any fireworks
    jonny83 said:

Loved the Nato trap by May, going to be difficult for him now to keep to his previous stance on it.

Or humiliating for May when he does.
    Ms. Apocalypse, cheers. Not watching the conference myself (doing a spot of work) but it's useful to get the view of someone neither pro-May nor fanatically against.
    My spidey sense is that the reason he's seeing May is that he wants to do some militarily against ISIS.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited January 2017
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

malcolmg said:

Roger , that is harsh
    Thanks Malc - it was unacceptable - no one who follows me can say I support Trump
  • Jonathan said:

My spidey sense is that the reason he's seeing May is that he wants to do some militarily against ISIS.

I think they both need each other at present
    edited January 2017
    Fillon could be in a bit more trouble... It's emerged that he also employed two of his children while they were students.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    edited January 2017
    Ive just finished a wall in my garden and sent the bill to the Mexican Government,

Also invoiced them for sume patio furniture
    In other news, is there anyone left in the Labour party who hasn't been in the shadow cabinet?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ok, we need to recalibrate

Chasing through a kitchen is no longer the most demeaning thing a British PM has done to try and get a US president to like them...
  • SeanT said:

Trump makes John Prescott seem lucid.
    Scott_P said:

Chasing through a kitchen is no longer the most demeaning thing a British PM has done to try and get a US president to like them...

that would be Cameron letting Obama bitchslap him in front of both nations
  • May seems to have achieved what she set out to do on trade, NATO and torture.
    Mr. P, what's May done?

Mr. Glenn, super. Allez Macron!

Ive just finished a wall in my garden and sent the bill to the Mexican Government,

You're an Ulsterman. Call it a peace wall and you can get it paid for by the rest of us without anyone using the f word.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    Jonathan said:

Line of charlie and a couple of hookers?

You're an Ulsterman. Call it a peace wall and you can get it paid for by the rest of us without anyone using the f word.
    will you also fund my peace Aston Martin ?
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    jonny83 said:

When as he been consistent?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,962
    Well, that could have been worse.

Trump meeting Gordon Brown for example.

I think we have gotten used to an era of very slick meet-and-greet politicians - Reagan, Clinton, Dubya, Obama, Blair, Cameron - all seemed very much at ease in these situations from the get go. Trump and May, still feeling their way.

Yeah, it was a difficult gig and she seems to have handled it as well as it could be handled.

will you also fund my peace Aston Martin ?
    My general election winnings were swiped by an Ulsterman for his new vehicle, so worryingly there is precedent for that.

SeanT said:

Not true at all, on the showing of this press conf.

I thought the rescue of T May from having to opine about Mexico was very deft..

May seems to have achieved what she set out to do on trade, NATO and torture.

Name one thing that is agreed and signed up to rather than lots of waffle and hot air. You are off your rocker.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2017

So far this press conference is actually pretty okay.

It's like a jadahi jez PMQs, if it isn't a total clusterf##k that is what counts as a success!

Tomorrow's news cycle will be dominated by Trump dropping sanctions on Russia which will only make it visible to the world how little May's opinion counts.
    Hypothetically, if Jeremy Corbyn were run over by a canary tomorrow, who would be the next Labour leader? Who would the erstwhile Corbyn supporters coalesce around?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    http://www.lesoir.be/1427029/article/actualite/france/2017-01-27/fillon-employe-deux-ses-enfants-alors-qu-ils-etaient-encore-etudiants

Suggestion is Fillon paid his children for legal work, prior to qualification as lawyers.

Tomorrow's news cycle will be dominated by Trump dropping sanctions on Russia which will only make it visible to the world how little May's opinion counts.
    Predictable clap trap
  • Scott_P said:

"We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis."
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Mikhail Gorbachev says 'it looks like the world is preparing for war'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mikhail-gorbachev-ussr-last-soviet-premier-russia-world-prepare-war-syria-donald-trump-middle-east-a7548646.html

I think Gorbachev could be right, certainly Trump might start something by accident i.e. through a trade war with China rapidly escalating into a real military conflict. On the other side of the coin Russia are desperate to end sanctions and so he might be just saying this to create mood music that enables any arms agreement to be sold to the Russian public. I think Russia are in an unsustainable position where they will either have to invade and pillage or cut defence spending.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    jonny83 said:

Yes - that was clever.
    SeanT said:

OK enough boring Teresa

Let Trump go mad again

Make Trump mad again!
  • Well, that could have been worse.

Trump meeting Gordon Brown for example.

I think we have gotten used to an era of very slick meet-and-greet politicians - Reagan, Clinton, Dubya, Obama, Blair, Cameron - all seemed very much at ease in these situations from the get go. Trump and May, still feeling their way.

May was sure footed. Trump less so.
  • Trump meeting the queen and phhhhhillllipppph will be fun!
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Scott_P said:

Certainly, Cameron was out of his mind when he invited Obama to lecture the UK on how to vote. I voted Remain but I do wonder if Obama intervening as he did probably swung it for Leave. Nobody likes a foreigner telling you what to do.
  • CNN reporting that May has persuaded Trump on Nato and giving her credit for it. And that is CNN

Mikhail Gorbachev says 'it looks like the world is preparing for war'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mikhail-gorbachev-ussr-last-soviet-premier-russia-world-prepare-war-syria-donald-trump-middle-east-a7548646.html

I think Gorbachev could be right, certainly Trump might start something by accident i.e. through a trade war with China rapidly escalating into a real military conflict. On the other side of the coin Russia are desperate to end sanctions and so he might be just saying this to create mood music that enables any arms agreement to be sold to the Russian public. I think Russia are in an unsustainable position where they will either have to invade and pillage or cut defence spending.

I had no idea he was still alive. As against that I met Norman Scott just before Christmas, which goes to show that people last longer than you think they do.
    SeanT said:

We keep sneering about British neediness re America..

I'm watching Fox News USA and they've used the term "special relationship" maybe 50 times in the last 30 minutes.

Interesting......although the right wing media could be the most pro British.
    SeanT said:

Are you terrified that TMay being a success might cement Brexit into place, even more? I'm guessing that's your motivation.
    Yes, but I do genuinely think that she's being premature. She's aligned herself with the wing of the Republicans who want to rein Trump in and turn him into a 'normal' US President but I don't think they will succeed.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

Trump meeting the queen and phhhhhillllipppph will be fun!

Phil & Don playing Political Incorrectness Top Trumps?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

CNN reporting that May has persuaded Trump on Nato and giving her credit for it. And that is CNN

So long as Germany in particular starts spending 2% I think !
  • Scott_P said:

Certainly, Cameron was out of his mind when he invited Obama to lecture the UK on how to vote. I voted Remain but I do wonder if Obama intervening as he did probably swung it for Leave. Nobody likes a foreigner telling you what to do.
    I think it was the belief that the whole of the UK had the same worship complex for Obama that the establishment and media does, where this genius Nobel.prize winner coild do no wrong.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    SeanT said:

Trump did fine there. He was actually quite funny in places.

Intriguing.

Glad it wasn't just me who drew that conclusion. Trump could indeed be a transformative President - he is tearing up the old rule book of the US's place in the world and how it sees itself. My guess for the future is that he will secure some very big wins through to the medium term but hubris will, as hubris always does, will mean that he will overreach himself at some point and probably disastrously so. But on what?

Never seen anything like it in over 40 years observing politics. What's that Chinese curse?
    There you are William, something that you can legitimately campaign for.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

I don't think he'll do it that fast. Why would he? He's protectionist; he'll quietly quite like the sanctions. Getting rid of them immediately would seem to confirm over-cosiness and the Russians would think him a walkover.

I think he'll want to co-operate militarily in Syria, get some results, change the complexion of things, then gradually reduce the sanctions.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

Not true at all, on the showing of this press conf.

I thought the rescue of T May from having to opine about Mexico was very deft..
    I thought it was a bit patronising. She can speak for herself - and she did.
  • Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Chris A,

Given your assertion of omniscience - knowing as you do, the minds of seventeen million Leave voters - perhaps you could turn your attention to the minds of the Remain voters, and enlighten us mere mortals on the number of Remain voters that paid attention to the Treasury, IMF, BofE, etc predictions that the UK would go into recession immediately after the 23 June vote, and how many of them were duped, mislead and tricked by these Remain lies?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    I think the bar was low and she hopped over it well done her. Interesting Trump's comments about torture. He really is a mass of contradictions it's going to be a white knuckle ride that's for sure.

But what did Tezza achieve apart from nothing (in a positive sense)? She has met POTUS, they forged a relationship (v important, no doubt cf Yo Blair) but I don't see what else was achieved. The heavy lifting will be done by civil servants.

It's interesting that the UK is so on tenterhooks about life right now that a non-cataclysmic press conference by the PM with another head of state is hailed as a triumph.
    JohnO said:

SeanT said:

Trump did fine there. He was actually quite funny in places.

Intriguing.

Glad it wasn't just me who drew that conclusion. Trump could indeed be a transformative President - he is tearing up the old rule book of the US's place in the world and how it sees itself. My guess for the future is that he will secure some very big wins through to the medium term but hubris will, as hubris always does, will mean that he will overreach himself at some point and probably disastrously so. But on what?

Stone cladding the wall.

• Pulpstar said:

CNN reporting that May has persuaded Trump on Nato and giving her credit for it. And that is CNN

So long as Germany in particular starts spending 2% I think !
    Theresa May is as much in favour of that as is Trump
    Trump still can't stop himself from lying though. He wasn't at Turnberry on 22nd June. He only arrived in Scotland and the 23rd and visited there on the 24th.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    dr_spyn said:
    Macron !
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    isam said:

Phil & Don playing Political Incorrectness Top Trumps?
    The Donald might twig that all British power consorts are Philips.
    Mr. Taxman, I agree on Obama. It was also interesting to compare the differing responses of the two sides (and neutrals) here after the 'back of the queue' comment.
  • TOPPING said:

I think the bar was low and she hopped over it well done her. Interesting Trump's comments about torture. He really is a mass of contradictions it's going to be a white knuckle ride that's for sure.

But what did Tezza achieve apart from nothing (in a positive sense)? She has met POTUS, they forged a relationship (v important, no doubt cf Yo Blair) but I don't see what else was achieved. The heavy lifting will be done by civil servants.

It's interesting that the UK is so on tenterhooks about life right now that a non-cataclysmic press conference by the PM with another head of state is hailed as a triumph.

It is not the UK on tenterhooks it is the EU and many countries worldwide

I don't think he'll do it that fast. Why would he? He's protectionist; he'll quietly quite like the sanctions. Getting rid of them immediately would seem to confirm over-cosiness and the Russians would think him a walkover.
    I don't think he'll do it completely yet, just the post-election ones that Obama signed. I think Putin will make some gesture in return.

The leader of the pro-Russian 'Lugansk People's Republic' in eastern Ukraine died suddenly in Moscow today due to a heart attack, which I'm sure was absolutely not suspicious in any way...
    Chris_A said:

Trump still can't stop himself from lying though. He wasn't at Turnberry on 22nd June. He only arrived in Scotland and the 23rd and visited there on the 24th.

A killer point. If he has not resigned by this time tomorrow, impeachment is nailed on. Bet accordingly.
  • So has Richard Branson given any further comments on stock market movements, the predicted financial meltdown and recession or the mystery cancelled deal which cost 3,000 jobs ?

' He told Good Morning Britain: “This country is going to go into recession, two of the worst days ever, banks being pounded means they’re not going to lend money and we’re going to go into recession.

He added: “It is not fine, we’re heading towards a disaster and in business, if you realise you’ve made a bad decision, you change it.”

Sir Richard revealed that his businesses had lost a third of their value since the leave vote.

He also claims he was about to do a "very big" business deal which would have supplied 3,000 jobs that has now had to be cancelled.

He added: “When Brexiters told the public that people were exaggerating that there would be a financial meltdown, I think it’s been proven that we’re not exaggerating." '

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/were-heading-towards-a-disaster-richard-branson-calls-for-second-eu-referendum-a3282651.html
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

It's PB and Twitter that are on tenterhooks, two of the least representative fora in the UK. Most people will be completely oblivious, as usual. We are not normal.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PAW said:

The EMA in London employs 59 British, several thousand EU. Not sure it is a big loss of jobs.

Where do they pay their taxes ?
  • dr_spyn said:
    Nothing wrong with that as long as they did the legal work and didn't claim to be qualified lawyers.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Chris_A said:

That's the best you've got - really?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited January 2017
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

It's PB and Twitter that are on tenterhooks, two of the least representative fora in the UK. Most people will be completely oblivious, as usual.
    Aren't we the opinion-formers, though?
    TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

It's PB and Twitter that are on tenterhooks, two of the least representative fora in the UK. Most people will be completely oblivious, as usual.
    Aren't we the opinion-formers, hough?
    You might be Topping, dear old thing. I am a complete nobody.
    Tim_B said:

Chris_A said:

That's the best you've got - really?
    Did I miss any more lies then?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Yep. for example, on our future queen:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/247757867032117248
  • Trump meeting the queen and phhhhhillllipppph will be fun!

Yep. for example, on our future queen:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/247757867032117248
    Lol.... awkward...
    There was a brilliant sketch on Mock the Week where Phillip met Sarkozy. He says...

" Have you seen the programme wifeswap"
This discussion has been closed.