Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don’t get complacent – Scotland’s future in the Union is hangi

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,598
    Elderly gentleman getting confused....

WATCH: Alex Salmond denies saying indyref was ‘once in a lifetime’
    Video evidence exists from the run up to the last vote where the former First Minister says: “In my view this is a once in a generation – perhaps even a once in a lifetime – opportunity.” But appearing on Radio 5Live’s Pienaar’s Politics on Sunday, Mr Salmond said: “The phrase was not once in a lifetime, it was the opportunity of a lifetime, I said it on the Andrew Marr show, it’s just one of these collective myths that evolve.”

He later denied his denial, calling the story “bizarre”.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/389845/watch-alex-salmond-denies-saying-indyref-was-once-in-a-lifetime
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

At the invitation of the PM of Hungary, to be fair. "Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban says his country will open its arms to west Europeans fleeing mass immigration and “the lords of globalist politics”. http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/02/11/hungary-will-welcome-true-refugees-germans-french-others-seeking-europe-lost-homelands/

Just imagine if a bienpensant UK Remainer had a second home in Hungary, and Griffin moved in next door. What a sitcom that would make.
    I wonder if Nick will be taking his pigs (if they haven't been finally solved) Anne and Frank with him? Which would be worse for the bien pensant, Nick gurning over the garden fence or the smell of pig shit?

Edit: I see the piggies are long ago consumed. Still, Nick has hilariously transferred the names to his two rotweillers.
    Golly. I knew he was horrible, but not that horrible.
    Apparently, he went to Cambridge University. No reason why an academically bright person can't also be a totally horrible person of course. It's just that sometimes the very bright are inclined to think that their intelligence is also a sign of their moral worth.

Not me, I echo Max Beerbohm: "I was a modest, good-humoured boy. It is Oxford that has made me insufferable."
    High intelligence and an excellent education won't make a bad person good. It just makes them more effective at being wicked.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,465

Mr. W, that reminds me, my own wisdom and insight (ahem) on the season ahead is available here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/testing-times-part-two.html

Morning, Mr.D.
    Apologies for linking to Motorsport, yet again, but Renault's reserve driver has some very interesting comments on the handling of the cars at Barcelona:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/test-analysis-rating-the-f1-teams-with-renault-s-sergey-sirotkin-883483/
    One of the most interesting points to watch F1 cars from is the third sector of the Barcelona track. From the grandstand there, you get a great view of the whole sequence of corners. And this time through here, it was the Ferrari that looked the best.

That car has made the strongest impression so far, both in terms of laptime and in how the car looks out on track. Sector three in particular shows how well-balanced it is and how quick it is. And that has to do with both chassis and engine.

There's not a lot of space between various corners in sector three, and it's particularly noticeable, that the SF70H is no worse than the Mercedes in terms of acceleration - perhaps better than it, at certain points...

Confirms my impression that Ferrari have a very well sorted car. Of course, the fact that Mercedes have yet to achieve an optimum balance can cut both ways - the car is not slow, and there is clearly room for improvement.
    Having said that, I'm not sure that Ferrari shouldn't be favourite for Melbourne (and Mercedes probably still favourite for the season).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    Ishmael_Z said:

It is interesting that neither side has said anything about hypothetical changes to the form of the referendum, in light of EURef: should it require a minimum turnout, more than a simple majority, be advisory vs binding, preclude a third referendum for x years, etc. The obvious reason for this is that neither side can tactically raise any of those points at this stage - Sturgeon wants none of those qualifications, May would like all of them but can't stipulate any of them because it would look as if she was conceding the principle that a ref of one kind or another would happen. Either we are going to have might battles on all those points before the referendum itself, or we are in danger of getting 51/49 one way or the other on a low turnout, and have battles about that after the event for ever after.

I think the one way to ensure battles forever after is to bolt on preconditions that uniquely apply to Scottish referendums eg 1979 Devolution ref; if the 1979 40% rule had been applied to the EU ref, we'd still be in the EU. Pretty sure Leavers wouldn't be philosophically accepting the settled will of the people in that event.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Todays Opinionway poll shows Le Pen 27 (down 1) with a 4 point lead over Macron 23 (down 2).

Fillon also down 2 at 18 (his lowest yet in this poll)

Hamon and Melenchon both gain a point.

http://presicote.factoviz.com/index/more/id/qoo_lew_1
  • Options

Video evidence exists from the run up to the last vote where the former First Minister says: “In my view this is a once in a generation – perhaps even a once in a lifetime – opportunity.” But appearing on Radio 5Live’s Pienaar’s Politics on Sunday, Mr Salmond said: “The phrase was not once in a lifetime, it was the opportunity of a lifetime, I said it on the Andrew Marr show, it’s just one of these collective myths that evolve.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/389845/watch-alex-salmond-denies-saying-indyref-was-once-in-a-lifetime

Even Pienaar said he was pretty sure Salmond had said it, and Salmond continued to deny so...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

It is interesting that neither side has said anything about hypothetical changes to the form of the referendum, in light of EURef: should it require a minimum turnout, more than a simple majority, be advisory vs binding, preclude a third referendum for x years, etc. The obvious reason for this is that neither side can tactically raise any of those points at this stage - Sturgeon wants none of those qualifications, May would like all of them but can't stipulate any of them because it would look as if she was conceding the principle that a ref of one kind or another would happen. Either we are going to have might battles on all those points before the referendum itself, or we are in danger of getting 51/49 one way or the other on a low turnout, and have battles about that after the event for ever after.

I think the one way to ensure battles forever after is to bolt on preconditions that uniquely apply to Scottish referendums eg 1979 Devolution ref; if the 1979 40% rule had been applied to the EU ref, we'd still be in the EU. Pretty sure Leavers wouldn't be philosophically accepting the settled will of the people in that event.
    Probably right. Looking at the precedents, the loudest and clearest message we get about referendums is: don't have 'em.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Am I right inunderstanding that wee Jimmie Krankie has decided to go for another referendum on the grounds that Scotland might be leaving the EU - but simultaneously has abandoned plans for an independent Scotland to rejoin the EU because, err, most Scots aren't very big on the idea of it?
    Maybe that nice Mrs May should insist that the referendum question references the EU.

when you are down to personal insults it shows you have nothing to say and are scared
    Presented without comment.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Macron has caught up with Le Pen on round 1 in the latest poll:

Tis looking good for President Macron. I hope some people got on very early with him, as I sure didn't.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    ChaosOdin said:

The SNP always used to annoy me, Sturgeon and Salmond in particular. I hate the way they smirk and moralise while openly lying to their own supporters. In my view they were the worst politicians in the UK for that and it drove me mad.

But recently it has struck me that Sturgeon is just a bit of a comic figure really. "Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Tory, Tory, Tory, Tory, Scotland, Tory".

I'm sure the higher echelons of the EssEnnPee will be mulling over this stinging take down at great length. Perhaps a press conference, a statement to the media at the very least.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Probably right. Looking at the precedents, the loudest and clearest message we get about referendums is: don't have 'em.
    Nah. Referendums rock! Big issues, simple questions, not too often on same subject but not too far apart either. What's not to like?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    BudG said:

Todays Opinionway poll shows Le Pen 27 (down 1) with a 4 point lead over Macron 23 (down 2).

kle4 said:

Tis looking good for President Macron. I hope some people got on very early with him, as I sure didn't.
    Horses for courses, ay.

Fillon not out the running as bizarre as that is.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

The dishonesty is a given, it's the stupidity that's new. Eck's powers are in steep decline.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Agreed. I think that it was a huge mistake to impose that rule on the 1979 referendum.
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67

ChaosOdin said:

The SNP always used to annoy me, Sturgeon and Salmond in particular. I hate the way they smirk and moralise while openly lying to their own supporters. In my view they were the worst politicians in the UK for that and it drove me mad.

But recently it has struck me that Sturgeon is just a bit of a comic figure really. "Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Scotland, Tory, Tory, Tory, Tory, Scotland, Tory".

I'm sure the higher echelons of the EssEnnPee will be mulling over this stinging take down at great length. Perhaps a press conference, a statement to the media at the very least.
    I wasn't trying to present my opinion as some epoch changing revelation, I was just musing.

Isn't that what this place is used for? For people who are more interested in politics than is strictly healthy to muse about politics and share political betting tips?

Please don't pass on my thoughts to the SNP leadership, I am sure they have more important stuff to be thinking about.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,972
    Mr. F, it's disturbing to label complainants as 'victims' because it presupposes that the accused are necessarily guilty.

Mr. B, no need to apologise for that.

I was considering raising the evens (then) available to lay Hamilton for pole in Oz. However, if the Ferrari is better then backing Vettel may make more sense.

I agree the Mercedes hasn't been optimised as this tallies perfect with something Bottas said during testing (some parts worked, others didn't, balance not yet achieved).

Also, the Ladbrokes markets are now up, Vettel 4.33 for pole.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243

Ishmael_Z said:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/
    (last paragraph)
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    TUD's avatar confuses me every time. I always read his post's expecting to read a tweet from Wee Ruthie – hence more head-scratching when I actually read his posts.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Between this sort of thing

https://order-order.com/2017/03/20/man-who-helped-run-trojan-horse-school-now-at-heart-of-birmingham-labour/

and Momentum - Labour have a hell of a job on - if they care
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

BudG said:

kle4 said:

Horses for courses, ay.

Fillon not completely out of it, but shedding two points in an Opinionway poll, which has previously been one of the more positive polls for him is not at all encouraging. I certainly would not give him the 18% chance that his current odds imply. In fact, it would not surprise me to see Hamon have a good TV debate tonight and be at least level with Fillon in at least one poll over the next week.
  • Options
    Article 50 to be triggered 29th March
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Am I right inunderstanding that wee Jimmie Krankie has decided to go for another referendum on the grounds that Scotland might be leaving the EU - but simultaneously has abandoned plans for an independent Scotland to rejoin the EU because, err, most Scots aren't very big on the idea of it?
    Maybe that nice Mrs May should insist that the referendum question references the EU.

when you are down to personal insults it shows you have nothing to say and are scared Patrick. Desperate stuff on here, misogyny ever to the fore.
    Erm. I think of Sturgeon as wee Jimmie Krankie though. She looks the same and makes as much sense. So I'll stick with that one. Also she has no lips. Never trust a woman with no lips. Even Maggie had 'the lips of Marilyn Monroe'.
    On fear - to be honest I'm OK with Scotland leaving. If you've gone emotionally the mechanics will probably follow at some point. I wish Scotland well.
    Funny you should mention Maggie !!

https://twitter.com/candersonabc/status/843785038152056832
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:

kle4 said:

Horses for courses, ay.

Fillon not completely out of it, but shedding two points in an Opinionway poll, which has previously been one of the more positive polls for him is not at all encouraging. I certainly would not give him the 18% chance that his current odds imply. In fact, it would not surprise me to see Hamon have a good TV debate tonight and be at least level with Fillon in at least one poll over the next week.
    Hamon won't overtake Fillon unless Valls (and/or Hollande) do a volte-face (or should that be "le U-Turn") and support him. Quite extraordinary how close Valls has come to endorsing Macron (even though he denies any formal support... at this stage).
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nah. Referendums rock! Big issues, simple questions, not too often on same subject but not too far apart either. What's not to like?
    Ok, let's have them in cases where the majority of people want one.

And the way to establish whether a majority of people want one is...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    No 10 refuses to take a position on whether or not there will be a GE?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Harry Cole
    29 March - Brexit Day - is also Tony Blair's wedding anniversary as well as Sir John Major's birthday.
  • Options
    calum said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

when you are down to personal insults it shows you have nothing to say and are scared Patrick. Desperate stuff on here, misogyny ever to the fore.
    Erm. I think of Sturgeon as wee Jimmie Krankie though. She looks the same and makes as much sense. So I'll stick with that one. Also she has no lips. Never trust a woman with no lips. Even Maggie had 'the lips of Marilyn Monroe'.
    On fear - to be honest I'm OK with Scotland leaving. If you've gone emotionally the mechanics will probably follow at some point. I wish Scotland well.

I can't find any source at all for this quote.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,141
    PlatoSaid said:

Harry Cole
    29 March - Brexit Day - is also Tony Blair's wedding anniversary as well as Sir John Major's birthday.

Three days early.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    I suspect most people will filter this out. The SNP is doing what it always does and those that think it good will continue to do so, as will those that think it bad.

The first sentence can certainly be challenged. "The Scottish people can best determine the form of government best suited to their needs". We did that just two years ago and decided for the opposite of what the SNP proposes. Therefore they don't have a mandate.

This isn't a trivial point. The fact we previously made a decision against will matter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    PlatoSaid said:

Harry Cole

Some financial prophet has been hawking around the idea that the pound is gpoing to have almighty crash at the end of this month. I didn’t bother to look when some wurzit gave me a pop-up but now .....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,842
    Cyan said:

malcolmg said:

Cyan said:

Alistair said:

Amazed at all these fresh new voices in Scotish journalism criticising the SNP.

They'll rue the day. The Party will shut their lying mouths.
    If Scotland becomes independent, the SNP would be likely to lose the first election by a big margin. So yes, it could well attempt to shut its opponents' mouths and cement itself in office. Many don't realise just how ugly some of the possibilities are.
    CUCKOO
    OK you don't like my comment. But do you have any comment on MonikerDiCanio's statement (quite possibly ironic) that journalists who dare to criticise the SNP will "rue the day" and that "the Party will shut their lying mouths"?
    It is just an utterly stupid pathetic juvenile comment. Only some kind of half wit would come out with that kind of comment in eth UK where we haev a free press and the law protects people. The SNP have not and never would be allowed to do such a thing, this is not North Korea, it is a wet dream of stupid Little Englanders.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Fandabby-Indy!

I hope I can do the ScotRail network before any Independence Vote. I did Berwick to Leuchars via Edinburgh five years ago (St Andrews visit), and Edinburgh to Glasgow, Glasgow to Carlisle and Glasgow to Ardrossan Harbour way back in 1993 (school trip to Arran!).
  • Options

JackW said:

UKIP seems to have lost its raison d'etre now we are leaving the EU.

Will the SNP lose its raison d'etre if Scotland votes for independence?

Not if they are seen as a competent progressive/social democratic party that represents the prevailing mood of the majority of Scottish opinion presently.
    The SNP has a lot of work to do to be seen to be competent at just straight vanilla governing.
    Their record with the voters proves you wrong, 9 years and more popular than ever. That sounds liek they could be rather competent.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Bookie shops run a pseudo-lottery called 49s which pays fixed odds and is drawn twice daily. The results from Saturday are eye-opening:
    https://twitter.com/Bet49s/status/843163851856232449
  • Options
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    edited March 2017

Bookie shops run a pseudo-lottery called 49s which pays fixed odds and is drawn twice daily. The results from Saturday are eye-opening:

They're my numbers and I forgot to do it!

Arthur Anderson wont be a happy man
  • Options
    ChaosOdin said:

LOL, what a turnip
  • Options
    calum said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Source for this quote, please?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited March 2017
    Apologies for going off topic, but I know there are some avid gamers on here:

Reviews are out for the new Mass Effect and boy I am gutted after reading them. The Mass Effect trilogy was easily one of my favorite game series. The first was clunky gameplay wise but had a tremendous story, the second game is a true masterpiece and the third was good until the absolute crap ending.

Andromeda sounds very buggy (Eurogamer pretty much said it shouldn't really be released in its current state). The bugs will get fixed no doubt even the best game I have ever played Witcher 3 did not have a smooth launch (most games don't these days, they rush them out as it is a business afterall and then patch later). But the gameplay itself and the storyline in single player is a bit worrying, lot of reviews say it's tried to copy some of the Dragon Age: Inquisition open World stuff, do this boring quest to build stuff etc. That's not what Mass Effect is or has been really about.

Still getting it, someone pre-ordered it for me as a birthday gift so it's not my money and I think once the bugs get ironed out it will still be a good game overall. Just not hitting the heights of Mass Effect at its peak, perhaps not in the same galaxy as it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Harry Cole

"Let us go forward together!" :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279

Aren't there 12,000 people who play weekly 1,2,3,4,5,6 on the national lottery?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

when you are down to personal insults it shows you have nothing to say and are scared
    Presented without comment.
    KLE, mine are always terms of endearment , you southern boys do not get Scottish humour.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    TOPPING said:

A poor set of numbers. Not because they're more likely to lose or win than any others - but the payout will be shared amongst many.. which means your expected return is less than the normal (Horrific) 60 pence in the pound or whatever.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Harry Cole

"Let us go forward together!" :)
    Not back!
  • Options
    Mr. 83, for other reasons (not fond of Bioware's DLC approach, feel the FemShep adventures have been completed and don't feel the need to start anew, and one of the chaps who worked on it has said some very dodgy stuff) I wasn't getting it anyway.

The reviews do seem mixed at best. At least it's not going to cost you either way.

One gameplay video (with a character called Peebee...) got slaughtered in the comments. Some dialogue was cut as it was spoilerish but the rest seems to have annoyed a lot of gamers.

I've also heard the Inquisition comparisons. Some parts of Inquisition are good, but side-quests felt like shopping list nonsense, and that just doesn't stand up in a world where The Witcher 3 exists. I do worry that after the excellent Origins and a very strong Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioware's on a downward spiral.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Twitter?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I suspect most people will filter this out. The SNP is doing what it always does and those that think it good will continue to do so, as will those that think it bad.

The first sentence can certainly be challenged. "The Scottish people can best determine the form of government best suited to their needs". We did that just two years ago and decided for the opposite of what the SNP proposes. Therefore they don't have a mandate.

This isn't a trivial point. The fact we previously made a decision against will matter.
    Rubbish , they stated in their manifesto that if Brexit came along it would be a major change and result in need for a referendum. That has happened and as usual they are keeping their promise. Unlike other parties they do what they say.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Reviews are out for the new Mass Effect and boy I am gutted after reading them. The Mass Effect trilogy was easily one of my favorite game series. The first was clunky gameplay wise but had a tremendous story, the second game is a true masterpiece and the third was good until the absolute crap ending.

Andromeda sounds very buggy (Eurogamer pretty much said it shouldn't really be released in its current state). The bugs will get fixed no doubt even the best game I have ever played Witcher 3 did not have a smooth launch (most games don't these days, they rush them out as it is a business afterall and then patch later). But the gameplay itself and the storyline in single player is a bit worrying, lot of reviews say it's tried to copy some of the Dragon Age: Inquisition open World stuff, do this boring quest to build stuff etc. That's not what Mass Effect is or has been really about.

Still getting it, someone pre-ordered it for me as a birthday gift so it's not my money and I think once the bugs get ironed out it will still be a good game overall. Just not hitting the heights of Mass Effect at its peak, perhaps not in the same galaxy as it.

I loved Dragon Age Inquisition and I loved Mass Effect. As long as there's some memorable characters and a decent story, that's all I really care about. I am confident.
  • Options
    Very occasionally the lottery becomes value to play - a lucky dip on a multiple rollover might just have an expected return higher than 100%...

Obviously the variance is massive still (Which is the appeal !)
  • Options
    calum said:

calum said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Twitter?
    I meant when and where did Maggie say this? Ta!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Very occasionally the lottery becomes value to play - a lucky dip on a multiple rollover might just have an expected return higher than 100%...

A pro gambler I know won it last year when it was value!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

You can always play reverse lottery: pick six numbers, don't buy a ticket and pray like mad they don't come up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A plunger, not a hedger!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

A poor set of numbers. Not because they're more likely to lose or win than any others - but the payout will be shared amongst many.. which means your expected return is less than the normal (Horrific) 60 pence in the pound or whatever.
    Well exactly. There was a good film centred around this (can't remember its name) which also pointed out that people used their birthdays a lot = numbers below 32 so again, the likelihood of being the sole winner decreased.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As a curmudgeon, I view the lottery as tax on poor people, but I only play it when it is a multiple rollover.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    BudG said:

4% lead for Le Pen over Macron is one of her highest for weeks
  • Options
    Fallon of the Lib Dems is the guy to talk to if you have electile dysfunction issues.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    jonny83 said:

Andromeda sounds very buggy (Eurogamer pretty much said it shouldn't really be released in its current state). The bugs will get fixed no doubt even the best game I have ever played Witcher 3 did not have a smooth launch (most games don't these days, they rush them out as unfinished as it is a business afterall). But the gameplay itself and the storyline in single player is a bit worrying, lot of reviews say it's tried to copy some of the Dragon Age: Inquisition Open World stuff, do this quest to build stuff etc. That's not what Mass Effect is or has been really about.

Still getting it, someone preordered it for me as a birthday gift so it's not my money and I think once the bugs get ironed out it will still be a good game overall. Just not hitting the heights of Mass Effect at it's peak, perhaps not in the same galaxy as it.

Mr. 83, I have stopped buying new games. As you say, they tend to be rushed out, incomplete and full of bugs. Better to wait a year or more until the fixes have been put in and the game play developed by either the publishing company or third party modders. For example, I have just gone back to Elite Dangerous (the last new game I bought) after a two year lay-off and it is a much, much better game now than it was when it was first released.

The other benefit of playing older multiplayer games is that the children have mostly moved on so the player base is older and their are far fewer griefers to bugger up your enjoyment.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

You can always play reverse lottery: pick six numbers, don't buy a ticket and pray like mad they don't come up.
    I picked a set of numbers 8, 17, 23, 39, 46, 47 for no good reason in the first few days of the lottery. I have no idea how much I'd be ahead or behind on those !
    Haven't played in years.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    jonny83 said:

i have preordered it, but it does seem mixed at best. Just been playing the excellent Horizon:Zero Dawn, which is a fantastic game.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Just over a week to go and the Brexit show begins!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

As a curmudgeon, I view the lottery as tax on poor people, but I only play it when it is a multiple rollover.
    A lot of people do the same and I find the logic curious. So £70m-odd would change your life but £12m is neither here nor there?
  • Options
    Lottery nonsense - you may want to go for numbers 32 and higher.

They're no likelier than any others to come up, but people using birthdays will mostly (excepting the year) go for 1-31. So the odds on being a solo rather than joint winner are better with higher numbers.

If any of you subsequently win the lottery with high numbers having read this, I am available to receive thanks in the form of an enormous cash gift.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Rubbish , they stated in their manifesto that if Brexit came along it would be a major change and result in need for a referendum. That has happened and as usual they are keeping their promise. Unlike other parties they do what they say.
    "They" aren't the Scottish people, who have actually decided on this. I accept from the SNP's point of view they can keep pushing because they have never accepted the decision made by the Scottish people. It is just one factor in a complicated situation but it is relevant.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    No election on May 4th then!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Good Re-Moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The Preem Moonister will trugger Broxit on March the Twenty-noonth!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

A lot of people do the same and I find the logic curious. So £70m-odd would change your life but £12m is neither here nor there?
    Maybe they're thinking that £12m wouldn't survive a couple of years of serious partying whereas £70m would.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

But if you could buy 14 million tickets when the 70 mill comes up you probably end up ahead.......

So the fact you're buying one makes no difference to the value !
  • Options
    FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

"They" aren't the Scottish people, who have actually decided on this. I accept from the SNP's point of view they can keep pushing because they have never accepted the decision made by the Scottish people. It is just one factor in a complicated situation but it is relevant.
    I think it's fair to appreciate that if you get elected and your name is the Scottish Nationalist Party that regardless of what has gone before - referendums, opinion polls, what have you - you will try to seek independence at every available opportunity.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I played that draw a couple of years ago (or whenever) where the jackpot was massive and the overall payout +EV

IIRC, £500 of tickets
    Return; ~£350

'twas an interesting (albeit expensive) experiment in extreme financial risktaking.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,730

Lottery nonsense - you may want to go for numbers 32 and higher.

They're no likelier than any others to come up, but people using birthdays will mostly (excepting the year) go for 1-31. So the odds on being a solo rather than joint winner are better with higher numbers.

If any of you subsequently win the lottery with high numbers having read this, I am available to receive thanks in the form of an enormous cash gift.

The other thing is whatever you do - don't choose 7 or multiples thereof... I'm sure that I remember reading about 1 draw where all 6 numbers were multiples of 7 - and so many people had some combination of the numbers that you won more getting 4 numbers correct than 5.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I picked a set of numbers 8, 17, 23, 39, 46, 47 for no good reason in the first few days of the lottery. I have no idea how much I'd be ahead or behind on those !
    Haven't played in years.
    Well, you'd have had a 1/3 share of a £9.6m jackpot in June 2003. Other than that, not much to write home about.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

But if you could buy 14 million tickets when the 70 mill comes up you probably end up ahead.......

It's been done in Ireland:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/how-to-make-a-killing-on-the-lottery-1322272.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe they're thinking that £12m wouldn't survive a couple of years of serious partying whereas £70m would.
    My liver would give out before the money ran out.

• Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    jonny83 said:

I have played the first 10 hours using the trial.

I haven't encountered a single bug, so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

You don't have to do the boring DA:I quests but they are there.

Mostly it is just a bit more low key than the original Mass Effect games. There are no great big galactic politics to discover and involve yourself in. You work in the away team for part of a relatively small expedition in a relatively undeveloped area. You are wandering around working out what killed 5 people in their pre-fab settlement, rather than speaking to the Citadel Council for example.

The first two companions are dull for sure, which also doesn't help.

I am enjoying it fine, but it isn't very intense.

Combat is the best it has ever been.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

I think it's fair to appreciate that if you get elected and your name is the Scottish Nationalist Party that regardless of what has gone before - referendums, opinion polls, what have you - you will try to seek independence at every available opportunity.
    Indeed. It's up to the rest of us to point out that these moves are disrespectful to the democratic decision already made. That point will and does have traction. Whether it will be enough to stop independence is to be seen.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

jonny83 said:

Andromeda sounds very buggy (Eurogamer pretty much said it shouldn't really be released in its current state). The bugs will get fixed no doubt even the best game I have ever played Witcher 3 did not have a smooth launch (most games don't these days, they rush them out as unfinished as it is a business afterall). But the gameplay itself and the storyline in single player is a bit worrying, lot of reviews say it's tried to copy some of the Dragon Age: Inquisition Open World stuff, do this quest to build stuff etc. That's not what Mass Effect is or has been really about.

Still getting it, someone preordered it for me as a birthday gift so it's not my money and I think once the bugs get ironed out it will still be a good game overall. Just not hitting the heights of Mass Effect at it's peak, perhaps not in the same galaxy as it.

Mr. 83, I have stopped buying new games. As you say, they tend to be rushed out, incomplete and full of bugs. Better to wait a year or more until the fixes have been put in and the game play developed by either the publishing company or third party modders. For example, I have just gone back to Elite Dangerous (the last new game I bought) after a two year lay-off and it is a much, much better game now than it was when it was first released.

The other benefit of playing older multiplayer games is that the children have mostly moved on so the player base is older and their are far fewer griefers to bugger up your enjoyment.
    Yeah I have gone back to Elite Dangerous myself, in deep space on my way to Colonia so nobody around to grief me. I play it on console so less players anyway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Good Re-Moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The Preem Moonister will trugger Broxit on March the Twenty-noonth!
    Thankyou Nicola
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I have been doing that since the turn of the century!

I did check a couple of years ago, and they've never come up
  • Options
    BBC reporting civil war in labour with an attempt by the hard left to take over the party.

How long to a split in labour. Maybe 5th May
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Haven't the odds changed since they introduced the extra numbers?

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Mr. 83, for other reasons (not fond of Bioware's DLC approach, feel the FemShep adventures have been completed and don't feel the need to start anew, and one of the chaps who worked on it has said some very dodgy stuff) I wasn't getting it anyway.

The reviews do seem mixed at best. At least it's not going to cost you either way.

One gameplay video (with a character called Peebee...) got slaughtered in the comments. Some dialogue was cut as it was spoilerish but the rest seems to have annoyed a lot of gamers.

I've also heard the Inquisition comparisons. Some parts of Inquisition are good, but side-quests felt like shopping list nonsense, and that just doesn't stand up in a world where The Witcher 3 exists. I do worry that after the excellent Origins and a very strong Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioware's on a downward spiral.

People have said the same since Baldur's Gate - things aren't what they used to be etc.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I could imagine (more or less) how I would spend £12m. £70m is unimaginable.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    justin124 said:

No election on May 4th then!

Indeed. - Adam Boulton’s presumption, getting the better of him on this occasion.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

BBC reporting civil war in labour with an attempt by the hard left to take over the party.

It's Labour. 3rd May....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

With £70m you could afford strategic advice from Tony Blair.

• Options

It's Labour. 3rd May....
    Thats funny
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Haven't played in years.
    Well, you'd have had a 1/3 share of a £9.6m jackpot in June 2003. Other than that, not much to write home about.
    Tell me youre lying?

What is the website where you can check?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Haven't played in years.
    But http://lottery.reevo.com/# informs me I'm up £1166 by not playing the lottery with those numbers :>
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

The talk last night of earnings and what to do with 6 figures wages was a bit surreal. My family income is circa 40 grand a year, and we live comfortably enough!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Where are those who said Brexit would never get triggered by the end of March?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I read an article about successful lottery winners. Successful in the sense they didn't fritter it away because they couldn't cope. You buy the nicest house in your area, a couple of top of the range cars, go on a couple of upmarket cruises each year. The rest goes on keeping a horse. They are successful precisely because they don't have much imagination.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Haven't played in years.
    But http://lottery.reevo.com/# informs me I'm up £1166 by not playing the lottery with those numbers :>
    I'm up £980 by not playing

Might go in again now the losing streak is over
  • Options

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

With £70m you could afford strategic advice from Tony Blair.

I'd keep my current house as my main residence, buy a flat in Central London (say £1m) and holiday homes in the South West and the Adriatic (say another £1m each), keep £250,000 on deposit, and probably divide the rest between investment and charities.
This discussion has been closed.