Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Day 2 of Osbo’s new job and he’s not being helpful to the woma

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    IanB2 said:

It took the Standard a very long time to settle on a price that reflects what it is actuallly worth. It is read in preference to facing the armpit of the passenger squeezed in next to you.

Arf - here's an interesting factoid: Michael Foot was the Evening Standard editor in 1942.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,643
    IanB2 said:

It took the Standard a very long time to settle on a price that reflects what it is actuallly worth. It is read in preference to facing the armpit of the passenger squeezed in next to you.

Analogous to voting Tory as a preference for facing the armpit that is Corbynistic Labour I wonder?

Just working those metaphor muscles, its a long campaign and twisting everything to the election is not for the faint hearted.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited May 2017
    When I think of The Standard, what springs to mind is the word "Ewer" which seems to be often an answer on the back page crossword.

I was stuck on a (ram) packed Jubilee Line tube in the rush hour once between Southwark & London Bridge... after about 10 mins I thought I'd do the crossword, telling myself by the time I finished it I would be pulling into Upminster... 45 mins later, the crossword was finished.. and we hadn't moved!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

It's interesting that both Labour and the LDs now have record or close to record memberships (assuming a certain level of drop off for Labour since the Corbynsurge), and yet could both end up doing terribly in the election. Labour we expect them to do badly, and it's a question of if he will better Foot's percentage or the Tory low points of the late 90s and early 2000s, while with the LDs people are more varied, but expecting the possibility of some losses with the balance of some gains, and a result which while technically good 2 years after a drubbing - say 15-20 as a really good night - it is historically still a terrible result, if not to be sniffed at as it will show significant recovery if they manage it.

If a political party suddenly attracts a lot of new members there's probably something wrong both with the party and the new members.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. T, it's a rare advantage for serial-selling (got an initial run coming out this month), because you can make the first part free, then have the others at a 'legitimately' low price.

There's also a natural middling effect. Companies take advantage of things like that with kettles. You have the Swanky kettle, for people with money to fritter away, for maybe twice the normal price. Then you have an Average kettle, and below that an Economy kettle. The poor will go Economy, but everybody else will go for the Average, even though there might well be sod all functional difference.

People don't like feeling like they're shopping poor. I remember when Aldi, Lidle and the now absent Netto were shops of mockery (if you brought in a Netto bag to school you'd be teased mercilessly). The shift to that being ok is one of the more interesting consumer trends in recent years.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    AndyJS said:

Any ideas on which party will win Scunthorpe? I can't decide whether the Tories are favourites or not. Lab maj is 3,134 votes or 8.5%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

The steelworks, which was on the brink of closure two years ago, has had a new lease of life as a result of the weaker pound. Overall it is an extremely Brexitty town. If the Tories don't win it they'll be falling well short of the large majority most are expecting.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, that's also a catch-22 for self-publishing.

Price something low, people think it's worth less. Price it higher and it can look extortionate because there's a sea of free and 99p e-books.

Mind you, some publishers do take the piss, having e-book prices identical or just below paperback costs.

Exactly. There's a whole science devoted to discovering the right price point for any product.

Some things sell better the higher the price, as that makes them seem rarer and more exclusive (though you can only go so far).

Giving it away, when you used to charge for it, is literally telling the consumer - this is now worthless. Not great for a newspaper.
    And yet we (the public) lap free stuff up online and are very reticent about paying for content. That's probably partly down to an easily verifiable quality of some websites, and it's partly down to culture - the web has always had a large free element whereas print media has been dominated by pay-per-unit (though the electronic media hasn't).

But people are very good at compartmentalising and while it might be inconsistent to the point of hypocrisy to go out of their way to avoid paying in one area while eschewing freebies in another related one, nonetheless, I the price is undoubtedly a big part in how the quality of a newspaper is perceived.
  • Options

I got an email plugging this site:

http://www.electionprediction.org/2017_uk/

They're forecasting Con 312 (inc Speaker), excluding 125 too close to call.

They appear to be Canadian. Did the 2001 and 2010 UK GEs with 94% and 89% accuracy by constituency.
    What does '89% accuracy' mean? That they got 11% wrong? That's over 70 seats - or the difference between a knife-edge majority and a landslide!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Price something low, people think it's worth less. Price it higher and it can look extortionate because there's a sea of free and 99p e-books.

Mind you, some publishers do take the piss, having e-book prices identical or just below paperback costs.

Exactly. There's a whole science devoted to discovering the right price point for any product.

Some things sell better the higher the price, as that makes them seem rarer and more exclusive (though you can only go so far).

Giving it away, when you used to charge for it, is literally telling the consumer - this is now worthless. Not great for a newspaper.
    But all newspapers - except The Times - are given away for free online, where the vast majority of people now read them. And free copies on planes and in hotel lobbies etc. Does that mean all newspapers are equally worthless?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The London Evening Standard used to be a tremendous newspaper with great writers and considerable style and panache. ...

I always thought that the Evening News was the superior paper and was jolly disappointed when it went under. Each to their own I suppose.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    So the EU have unilaterally decided:

- that the UK will have to bear costs of EU agencies relocating out of UK
    - that the UK will have to settle the accounts for commitments
    - BUT that the UK will have no right to any EU assets

They're living in cloud bloody cuckoo land, aren't they....
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    No comments please about banning or moderation
  • Options

timmo said:

But thats 312 deffo Tories
    If the too close to calls split 50/50 then it gives the Tories a very nice maj
    Yeah, exactly. Although in not all the 125 seats are Con a contender, it includes some NI seats for a start. Even if they only get a quarter of them that puts them on 343, maj 36.
    My thoughts exactly .... I'm actually expecting the Tories to achieve a majority of between 50-75 seats as a result of them securing somewhere close to 35%-40% of the UK vote which would land my 12.5 (11.35) bet with BetfairEx. Come on you Blues!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Just off for my first canvassing session of '17, toodle-pip!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

No comments please about banning or moderation

Oops - my apologies!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Press freedom in Italy: Six key things to know:

http://dlvr.it/P39X4b
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Mortimer said:

Just off for my first canvassing session of '17, toodle-pip!

Good luck!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

There are three or four very influential newspapers. The Times, as the paper of record; The Guardian, as the paper of the liberal Establishment and the BBC; and definitely the Mail, as the paper that terrifies everyone in power, even though everyone in power pretends to hate it and never read it.

Maybe also the Sun, thanks to its huge readership.

From there on down they descend in importance - the FT, the Sunday Times, the Telegraph, the Mirror, then the other Sundays, the Indy....

The Standard is behind all these, and certainly behind the Spectator and the Economist; it's probably just above the Express.

The Standard has a far higher circ than most nationals.
    Quite surprising it is so far behind Metro, 1.46m plays 887k

I would have thought the Standard would be far more popular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation#2010_to_present
    Metro is UK wide, Standard just London and Home Counties.
    I've only ever seen The Standard or Metro in London.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,643

timmo said:

But thats 312 deffo Tories
    If the too close to calls split 50/50 then it gives the Tories a very nice maj
    Yeah, exactly. Although in not all the 125 seats are Con a contender, it includes some NI seats for a start. Even if they only get a quarter of them that puts them on 343, maj 36.
    My thoughts exactly .... I'm actually expecting the Tories to achieve a majority of between 50-75 seats as a result of them securing somewhere close to 35%-40% of the UK vote which would land my 12.5 (11.35) bet with BetfairEx. Come on you Blues!
    I think that, maybe a bit more, was basically where a lot of people were at the time of the GE announcement, but the sudden surge for Tories has understably made people excited at a grander prospect, particularly with promising poll numbers in Scotland and Wales. With Labour apparently stubbornly holding on to the late 20s early 30s, and LDs still moribund, that original estimate may well remain the case, and no bad thing for the Tories, but still a bit down on the dreams at one point.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

The Guardian is unique amongst broadsheets in still being entirely free online, but they are losing zillions, and they will likely be forced to introduce some kind of paywall soon.

The guiltwall isn't working
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

HHemmelig said:

SeanT said:

But all newspapers - except The Times - are given away for free online, where the vast majority of people now read them. And free copies on planes and in hotel lobbies etc. Does that mean all newspapers are equally worthless?
    Simply not true. Most *broadsheets* now have some kind of paywall - the Telegraph, the FT, the Economist, the Spec, the Times, the equivalent Sundays. Same goes for important papers abroad - the NYT etc

The Guardian is unique amongst broadsheets in still being entirely free online, but they are losing zillions, and they will likely be forced to introduce some kind of paywall soon.
    What, you mean "Since you're here we've got a small favour to ask" isn't raking in the cash for them?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Rubbish! I live in London and I can tell you that this paper's heyday was in the 1980s the business pages were well respected and an important source of information.
    Perhaps because of the internet this is no longer the case and the city pages these days have hardly any company or market news, mainly columns written by youthful writers (teenage scribblers) whinging about Brexit.
    The paper has been going downhill for many years now and nobody would pay for it, so it now has to be given away free.
    it's an appropriate retirement home for washed up George Osborne.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HHemmelig said:

SeanT said:

Simply not true. Most *broadsheets* now have some kind of paywall - the Telegraph, the FT, the Economist, the Spec, the Times, the equivalent Sundays. Same goes for important papers abroad - the NYT etc

The Mail and The Sun do not, and they are arguably the two most influential papers in the land.

I remember you've been making the same prediction about The Guardian for donkeys years yet they've clung on with no sign yet of initiating a paywall - I wouldn't be so confident they can't hold out for another 5 or 10 years.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

They appear to be Canadian. Did the 2001 and 2010 UK GEs with 94% and 89% accuracy by constituency.
    Think they revisit the 125 as time passes.

Also, you can click on regions and check the TCTC list on each.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Mortimer said:

No - they are trying to set the rules of negotiation how they want them. At the moment, as I mentioned earlier, we are defining the rules of the game 'Brexit', not playing them.

The UK is not Greece.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Mortimer said:

They're giving us a case study ahead of Scottish independence.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Well there's a surprise.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

SeanT said:

HHemmelig said:

SeanT said:

What, you mean "Since you're here we've got a small favour to ask" isn't raking in the cash for them?
    For less than the price of a caramel frappuccino with nutmeg powder...
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391

What does '89% accuracy' mean? That they got 11% wrong? That's over 70 seats - or the difference between a knife-edge majority and a landslide!!
    Yup, that's how they rate themselves. In 2001 they got 619 out of 659 correct and in 2010 579/650.
  • Options
    Harsh, but funny...

@pppolitics: It's 20/1 for a Labour majority after #GE2017

Don't worry, Diane. We've done the maths... https://t.co/I4PPMarxTE https://twitter.com/pppolitics/status/859775368286396416/photo/1
  • Options

The London Evening Standard used to be a tremendous newspaper with great writers and considerable style and panache. ...

I always thought that the Evening News was the superior paper and was jolly disappointed when it went under. Each to their own I suppose.
    Blimey .... you're going back there a bit HurstLlama. I remember the Evening News dying on its feet, before it was subsumed into the Standard. IIRC, the Evening News was owned by Associated Newspapers (i.e.the Daily Mail Group) and the Standard by their bitter enemies at the Express Group and they owned the merged title 50%:50%, although Associated subsequently acquired outright ownership before eventually selling it for a song.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    AndyJS said:

Any ideas on which party will win Scunthorpe? I can't decide whether the Tories are favourites or not. Lab maj is 3,134 votes or 8.5%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

I would make the Conservatives slight favourites.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Rubbish! I live in London and I can tell you that this paper's heyday was in the 1980s the business pages were well respected and an important source of information.
    Perhaps because of the internet this is no longer the case and the city pages these days have hardly any company or market news, mainly columns written by youthful writers (teenage scribblers) whinging about Brexit.
    The paper has been going downhill for many years now and nobody would pay for it, so it now has to be given away free.
    it's an appropriate retirement home for washed up George Osborne.

Whether you like it or not, a large part of London is whinging about Brexit so it's hardly a surprise that they are playing to their readership on that. And London commuters are younger than average so a paper made up entirely of crusty Brexiteer columnists would hardly be a good idea.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

There are three or four very influential newspapers. The Times, as the paper of record; The Guardian, as the paper of the liberal Establishment and the BBC; and definitely the Mail, as the paper that terrifies everyone in power, even though everyone in power pretends to hate it and never read it.

Maybe also the Sun, thanks to its huge readership.

From there on down they descend in importance - the FT, the Sunday Times, the Telegraph, the Mirror, then the other Sundays, the Indy....

The Standard is behind all these, and certainly behind the Spectator and the Economist; it's probably just above the Express.

The Standard has a far higher circ than most nationals.
    Quite surprising it is so far behind Metro, 1.46m plays 887k

I would have thought the Standard would be far more popular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation#2010_to_present
    Metro is UK wide, Standard just London and Home Counties.
    I've only ever seen The Standard or Metro in London.
    We have copies of the Metro on the morning bus in Crigglestone, never mind the the more obvious commuting routes to Leeds.
  • Options
    @hendopolis: STANDARD Now it is EU's turn to get bloody difficult https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859775889856487424/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Osborne stirring the pot again.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    edited May 2017
    On topic ... this is, quite correctly, a London story, as the purpose of the changes to education funding is to take money away from pampered inner London and spend it on neglected outer Norfolk (inter alia). Inner Londoners may complain bitterly about this, to which the obvious repost is, "serves you right for voting Labour".
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

@hendopolis: STANDARD Now it is EU's turn to get bloody difficult https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/859775889856487424/photo/1

Turn? LOL. That's how they started.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HHemmelig said:

AndyJS said:

The steelworks, which was on the brink of closure two years ago, has had a new lease of life as a result of the weaker pound. Overall it is an extremely Brexitty town. If the Tories don't win it they'll be falling well short of the large majority most are expecting.
    The town is changing, away from steel. It has undergone lot of new build housing and developed a lot of distribution centres when I went up there last year (twitching the Western Purple Swamphen). I reckon it could well go Tory this time.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mortimer said:

No, the person in Cloud Cuckoo Land is your Mrs May. It is she who has put the country in such a weak bargaining position. If you say "I want the agreement to be 100% on my terms, or there is no agreement" and we just walk away from everything, then you are on to a loser.

If the other side replies "It is either on these terms of ours, or you can just walk away", then Mrs May and her team either accept, or walk away. As things stand, she will have to walk away.

This will then be praised in the media as being "strong and stable", as the economy crashes round us.

This is the weakest government I have ever known.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    This is what @TheScreamingEagles was looking for in the last thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfa3MHLLSWI
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

No, the person in Cloud Cuckoo Land is your Mrs May. It is she who has put the country in such a weak bargaining position. If you say "I want the agreement to be 100% on my terms, or there is no agreement" and we just walk away from everything, then you are on to a loser.

If the other side replies "It is either on these terms of ours, or you can just walk away", then Mrs May and her team either accept, or walk away. As things stand, she will have to walk away.

This will then be praised in the media as being "strong and stable", as the economy crashes round us.

How old are you - 12?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2017

Yup, that's how they rate themselves. In 2001 they got 619 out of 659 correct and in 2010 579/650.
    That isn't very impressive at all given that it is the marginals that we are most curious about which is what they would have got wrong. Anyone predicting by constituency in 2010 using even a simple calculator should have been able to get at least 500 right off the bat.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    SeanT said:

HHemmelig said:

SeanT said:

HHemmelig said:

SeanT said:

The Mail and The Sun do not, and they are arguably the two most influential papers in the land.

I remember you've been making the same prediction about The Guardian for donkeys years yet they've clung on with no sign yet of initiating a paywall - I wouldn't be so confident they can't hold out for another 5 or 10 years.
    Actually, the opposite is true. When the Times first went behind a paywall, I said 1. it might well work, and 2. almost all papers would have to copy them, in some way, in time

I was roundly pooh-poohed on here, "who would ever pay for news now" etc etc

I was entirely right. The Times has made a success of it, and nearly all the broadsheets have done something similar.

The Guardian is an interesting exception. But they are bleeding money, horribly. I give it 2-3 years max before they do something drastic - go entirely online, move to Manchester, build a paywall, etc
    The Grauniad was originally the "Manchester Guardian".
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How the FT came up with that hundred billion figure

https://www.ft.com/content/29fc1abc-2fe0-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a

Some fascinating horrors. France and Germany have decided we get zero EU assets. Nada. We will still have to subsidise French farmers AFTER Brexit. We gotta pay for bridges and railways in the EU far into the 2020s. And so forth.

This is a bill designed to be rejected, if it appears in this fashion. Even with a 900 seat majority, TMay could not get that past her party, or the country.

Maybe they'll want golden elephants from us, too.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

The Evening Standard was extremely pro-Remain even before Ozzy turned up. Now I suspect he feels he's amongst friends, being able to remind his readership how naive and witless all Leave voters are.
  • Options
    Mr. T, assuming that's accurate it is, as you imply, total bullshit.

Which means it's either a negotiating position, or caused by a desire for us to leave without any deal. We'll find out which after the elections.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Local pseudo-poll in St Albans, Anne Main coming third!

How long will it take for the Lib Dem leaflets to have an appropriate bar chart?

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/general-election-2017-herts-ad-poll-says-anne-main-could-lose-st-albans-1-5000454

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Harsh, but funny...

@pppolitics: It's 20/1 for a Labour majority after #GE2017

Don't worry, Diane. We've done the maths... https://t.co/I4PPMarxTE https://twitter.com/pppolitics/status/859775368286396416/photo/1

https://twitter.com/StarSpreads_Bet/status/859675276078448641/photo/1
  • Options

Blimey .... you're going back there a bit HurstLlama. I remember the Evening News dying on its feet, before it was subsumed into the Standard. IIRC, the Evening News was owned by Associated Newspapers (i.e.the Daily Mail Group) and the Standard by their bitter enemies at the Express Group and they owned the merged title 50%:50%, although Associated subsequently acquired outright ownership before eventually selling it for a song.
    When I lived in London in the late 60s - 70s the Evening Standard always had more pages than the Evening News (both were broadsheets).
  • Options

How long will it take for the Lib Dem leaflets to have an appropriate bar chart?

http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/general-election-2017-herts-ad-poll-says-anne-main-could-lose-st-albans-1-5000454

That seems a tad unlikely.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    " in his new role he’s in a very powerful position which I am sure that he realises."

NO-ONE outside London reads it..

So not that powerful.

London centric people live in a bubble..

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    It's still unclear whether the broadcasters of this evening's Le Pen-Macron debate will be able to show a candidate's reaction while the other is speaking. Banned in the interround TV debate since 1981, reaction clips were allowed this year before the first round. They will favour the better fighter, so presumably Le Pen wants them. So does the broadcaster. Word is that negotiations are still ongoing. The contestants won't be behind lecterns because Le Pen said it would be tiring to stand for 2-3 hours wearing heels.

At the weigh-in, Macron said he wasn't going to employ invective. "I am not going to use clichés or insults. I’ll use hand-to-hand fighting to demonstrate that her ideas represent false solutions." I don't yet know the order of the topics, so can't predict the number of the round in which he'll first go down. But the way Macron is mixing violent metaphor with preppy talk makes him look as though he's fighting in the wrong weight - and perhaps suggests he's crapping himself. This will be bloody.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Some fascinating horrors. France and Germany have decided we get zero EU assets. Nada. We will still have to subsidise French farmers AFTER Brexit. We gotta pay for bridges and railways in the EU far into the 2020s. And so forth.

This is a bill designed to be rejected, if it appears in this fashion. Even with a 900 seat majority, TMay could not get that past her party, or the country.

I just wonder - maybe the EU hasn't got a fucking clue how to handle Brexit? Utterly lost in how to juggle getting in cash to keep offering sweeteners to its members and making it so horrible for others to have the temerity to leave - whilst not destroying export markets to the UK.

If you think the UK has a problem....at least we can just say "nah....on yer bike. WTO it is. We'll survive." Can the EU REALLY take that as an acceptable outcome?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

" in his new role he’s in a very powerful position which I am sure that he realises."

So not that powerful.

To be fair, most readers are commuters into London, from Tory voting places

That said, they are also Leave voting places, who like May better than Ozzy
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    So anyone know the answer to the important question: who's the girl with famous mum making her fashion debut?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

On a 32% swing against the Tories.

They polled Mark Senior, 2,136 times.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited May 2017
    Everybody knows what Osborne is up to... Which "blunts" his attacks a lot.

And let's face it given how popular Mrs May is compared to loser Osborne nobody will take much notice of him anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If you think the UK has a problem....at least we can just say "nah....on yer bike. WTO it is. We'll survive." Can the EU REALLY take that as an acceptable outcome?

No - without Britain they'd be completely cut off and without a paddle. They'd try for a while to pass crepes and sauerkraut around the table as if they were port. Then they'd collapse, bawling their little foreign eyes out.

• Options
    isam said:

Hartlepool

Conservatives 8/15
    Lab 9/4
    UKIP 13/2

Labour Iain Wright 35.6
    UKIP Phillip Broughton 28.0
    Conservative Richard Royal 20.9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartlepool_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

Sorry, Labour are 10/3
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    TM getting a freebie PPB !!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

As Juncker might say: "If you stay you pay, if you leave you contribute".

In reality, the only acceptable numbers to the UK electorate will be a steadily decreasing EU bill down to a much smaller number.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

More wishful thinking from the Eurofanatics. It really is quite sad to see.
  • Options
    isam said:

So not that powerful.

To be fair, most readers are commuters into London, from Tory voting places

That said, they are also Leave voting places, who like May better than Ozzy
    The Standard has far more influence than just on its own readers. It is the first to break many stories.
  • Options

Yes, I am going a long way back, Mr. Putney. I remember the evening newspaper seller at the corner of Chancery Lane and Holborn, "News an' Standar'", and the vans whizzing past chucking out a bundle of the latest editions without ever quite stopping (from memory the Evening News put out seven editions a day).

The Evening News provided me with enough reading to last the Journey to East Putney station and there was a good crossword to fallback on in the event of a slow news day. I cannot remember what it used to cost, maybe sixpence.

Once they get wireless working on the underground they will not even be able to give away the Standard.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    SeanT said:

Opening bids are designed to be rejected; its what follows that counts.

Granted, the EU seem to come up this in a way to maximise resentment, which is not entirely rational you expect a genuine negotiation.
    Remember also that there are a number of players with differing agendas on the EU side of the table; on our side, there will be only one (which is of course the point of the current election, however 'irrelevant' some would say it is).
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT

How can you have been entirely right when the two most popular papers - The Mail and The Sun - remain without a paywall and there's little indication that they'll adopt one (The Sun abandoned theirs IIRC). Their business model of clickbait and trashy celeb news seems to work OK for them. And except the Times and FT, the paywalls (Telegraph, Spectator etc) tend to allow a certain number of free articles. The Times may have made it a success but it still seems far from clear that this is a route the industry will be able move further down and remain viable in the long term.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    isam said:

isam said:

Hartlepool

Conservatives 8/15
    Lab 9/4
    UKIP 13/2

Labour Iain Wright 35.6
    UKIP Phillip Broughton 28.0
    Conservative Richard Royal 20.9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartlepool_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

Sorry, Labour are 10/3
    And a new candidate for Labour (Iain Wright standing down)
  • Options

If you mean it's Tory election propaganda, yes.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

No - without Britain they'd be completely cut off and without a paddle. They'd try for a while to pass crepes and sauerkraut around the table as if they were port. Then they'd collapse, bawling their little foreign eyes out.

What is the EU's track record on negotiating? They are used to just saying "this is how it will be, Greece" or whoever. They didn't "negotiate" over the Constitution when it got rejected - just changed the name and ploughed on. Now they have no choice but to negotiate - and to co-ordinate 27 opinions. Against Theresa May's poker face. It's gonna be a hoot.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

So anyone know the answer to the important question: who's the girl with famous mum making her fashion debut?

LOL
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Wow..quite the unexpected rhetoric from May there...
  • Options

- and the even more important question: who's making the fashion debut - the girl or her famous mum?
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I'm still on the fence about May (although, obviously, miles better than Corbyn), but calling the snap election was quite the manoeuvre.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    I was wrong. Theresa May's a pound shop Richard Nixon, not a pound shop Gordon Brown.
  • Options

I was wrong. Theresa May's a pound shop Richard Nixon, not a pound shop Gordon Brown.

Tricky Theresa?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I just wonder - maybe the EU hasn't got a fucking clue how to handle Brexit? Utterly lost in how to juggle getting in cash to keep offering sweeteners to its members and making it so horrible for others to have the temerity to leave - whilst not destroying export markets to the UK.

I think that is highly likely, further complicated by the fact that are 27 different countries each with their own priorities with opposition parties within each ountry trying to score political points, plus the Eurocrats with their priority for the sacredness of The Project, plus the EU parliament trying to grandstand in the background.

I'm not sure that this is exactly good news, however. It's the kind of chaotic situation some of us warned about before the referendum.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, we'll see how well she ends up doing with the EU (unless we have the horror of PM Corbyn). However, worth noting that Cameron was bloody awful, Brown was a reneging weasel, and Blair threw away half the rebate for nothing.
  • Options

Tricky Theresa?
    She lied over not holding a snap election.

So yes the tricky moniker applies.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Wow..quite the unexpected rhetoric from May there...

I wonder what Crosby private polling has been saying about hard as nails Kim Jong May rhetoric on EU?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

That isn't very impressive at all given that it is the marginals that we are most curious about which is what they would have got wrong. Anyone predicting by constituency in 2010 using even a simple calculator should have been able to get at least 500 right off the bat.
    If not 600. A clue ... look on bookmakers' sites for numbers like 1.01, 1.02, 1.05 and 1.10.

I think Gower was the only seat with long-ish odds (8) and a surprise result in 2015. 2010 was possibly more 'boring'.

So, in 2010 they could potentially get about 600 results right by believing the betting odds to be roughly right and only 50 seats might need significant skill, including seats which appear marginal but often stay Labour like Hampstead.
  • Options

On the whole, I think I'd take Nixon over Brown, so I guess that's an improvement.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2017
    There will be no need to cover up a break in at Corbyn's HQ at this election.
  • Options

On the whole, I think I'd take Nixon over Brown, so I guess that's an improvement.
    That's like ranking your favourite STD.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    The Tories will finish closer to 45 than 35 - great voter demographics and the EU doing their campaigning for them;

Labour will finish closer to 25 than 35 - comedy casting leadership team and awful voter demographics;

The SNP will finish closer to 40 than 50 in Scotland - they look to be running out of steam and to some extent share the loser demographic that Labour usually has (I am wondering increasingly about them failing to hit 40);

The Lib Dems will make very few gains -little to no sign of any life beyond London and the South;

Turnout will be closer to 60 than 70. Who exactly are the left-leaners supposed to vote for?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

The LDs push Daisy Benson every election and every election she dissappoints although she did become Mayor somewhere..was it Bedford?
  • Options

Cyan said:

What is the EU's track record on negotiating? They are used to just saying "this is how it will be, Greece" or whoever. They didn't "negotiate" over the Constitution when it got rejected - just changed the name and ploughed on. Now they have no choice but to negotiate - and to co-ordinate 27 opinions
    Greece and the EU constitution are internal EU affairs. A better comparison would be with EU negotiations with China or the US, except that Britain's GDP is about a fifth of rEU's. I will grant you that in the Middle East the EU's negotiators have achieved eff-all.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Cyan said:

What is the EU's track record on negotiating? They are used to just saying "this is how it will be, Greece" or whoever. They didn't "negotiate" over the Constitution when it got rejected - just changed the name and ploughed on. Now they have no choice but to negotiate - and to co-ordinate 27 opinions. Against Theresa May's poker face. It's gonna be a hoot.....

Yep, it will be utterly hilarious for wealthy Brexiteers who have nothing to lose from a rock-hard Brexit.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

SeanT said:

As Juncker might say: "If you stay you pay, if you leave you contribute".

In reality, the only acceptable numbers to the UK electorate will be a steadily decreasing EU bill down to a much smaller number.

It seems quite likely, to me, that the UK electorate would find it acceptable if some of the money we end up paying is in direct payments to the Republic of Ireland, in order to ease the transition.
  • Options

Mr. Jessup, the question that should be occupying most of your time is, "What am I doing early evening on 27th of this month?" If the answer is not drinking beer in the Baron of Beef at about 18:00 then please contact me HurstLlama dot Gmail dot Com.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Following on from that May speech, listening to the EU committee also me realise just how damaging it is that the UK is leaving the union. The EU trade committees were reporting African nations unwilling to conclude trade talks unless the Brexit situation was cleared up - i.e. the UK fufure relationship was clear. Also, there's a huge gap in funding for many of these EU sweetheart projects..
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    TOPPING said:

LOL
    Well? Who is it?

We should be told!
  • Options
    edited May 2017

TOPPING said:

LOL
    Well? Who is it?

We should be told!
    Pretty obviously nobody here has read today's Standard. Conclude from that what you will.
  • Options

On a 32% swing against the Tories.

They polled Mark Senior, 2,136 times.
    In 2010 they were 4% behind the Tories.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Albans_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    Why don't the usuals like Dan the Man anymore?

(((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges · 5m5 minutes ago
    You know what, good for Theresa May. Juncker and the EU leaders have crossed the road to pick a fight with her. Totally right to hit back.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    SeanT said:

In terms of negotiating Brexit, you'd definitely want Nixon over Brown. People forget Nixon was a bloody good politician (until he went a bit mad)
    Learning your lines from Livingstone isn't a good look, honestly....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    She's trying to undermine Juncker. Seems fair enough.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I predict last week .... :smile:

Driving through St.Albans over the week, and whilst acknowledging the cheers of the masses, it was noticeable that they were far fewer election posters than usual for both the locals and precious few for the general election.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

LOL
    Well? Who is it?

We should be told!
    Pretty obviously nobody here has read today's Standard. Conclude from that what you will.
    It's because I'm a working class Northener. That's why I've not read it.
This discussion has been closed.