Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview May 18th 2017 (T-21 days until Elect

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

You will be electing a sick National Death Lottery Candidate in NE Derbyshire though.

Hah & the economy will be in smoke if Corbyn gets in. Farron is utter mince, operation save Clegg next weekend.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Tory manifesto actually promised £8 billion more for NHS over next 2 years and further real terms rises thereafter
    No no, they want to rundown and destroy the NHS, must do, I read it all the time. They do a terrible job of that given they want to run it down, you'd think it'd be even worse by now.
    This is the same Labour line every election they lose
    The best way to combat this rather tedious attack line is to actually destroy the NHS.

You could argue that's overkill but it'd mean that someone would have to think up a new negative strategy for the first time in almost a century.
    The best solution is to reform it for the 21st century
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Ironic that he sat out the coalition years to nurse leadership ambitions, only to screw his party into the ground with an awful strategy.

Clegg returning would be a big improvement.

Well it could be down to him, Williams, Farron and Carmichael, (probably not worse, though none are completely safe), so it might happen - although Clegg had seemed revitalised post Brexit, as the LDs seemed like they had a purpose again, and one which might help them revive a bit.

IF that dream dies a second time, I don't know how he could keep fighting on, how the party could keep fighting on. Not making huge gains is one thing, making zero or negative progress is another.
    LDs have got very used to picking ourselves up after defeat.

We will survive and evolve. This election came two years too soon for us and Labour, which is exactly why it was called. No bigger majority was needed.
    No it wasn't, though it'd be nice for May, but you'd think your lot could make some progress even if it is a bit early. Your membership was revitalised, you had ticked up in the polls and Labour are led by Corbyn and co.

Instead you've gone backwards and holding half the MPs you currently have will be tough. I admire the party came back from a handful of MPs once before to a position of prominence, and that expecting to be back at even half the 2010 level was not on the cards, but they should be able to achieve something. I've always thought the party deserved more credit than it gets from the voters, but they've become even more irrelevant than ever,

No, it really is about May and Corbyn, so even though I did in the locals, what's the point of voting LD again?
    Agreed. I think this is the final end of the Lib Dems, as a serious force, for a generation, or maybe forever.
    I think the LibDems' main problem, since they fell to such a low base in 2015, is an old-fashioned squeeze. In most seats, a LibDem vote is a wasted/spoiler vote. And unfortunately this squeeze will also have an impact in those few seats where they do have a realistic chance of winning. In effect, the LibDems have returned to the electoral position they faced many years ago. I think this is sad, and they will rise again (perhaps quite soon if there are major ructions in Labour, or if Brexit bombs), but third-party politics is always going to be a tough proposition with the electoral system we've got.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Apparently the Norwich Millenium Library is the busiest in the country. QT audience don't have talk some guff.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Well it is the one that is less 'give everybody free stuff' and more 'give with one hand, taketh with the other', I'm not surprised its gone down poorly, particularly since the consensus seems to be it is also not aimed at some of the core Tory vote (which May is taking for granted).

Taken for granted and the piss taken out for them .The lower middle class who can not afford lawers to get around the dementia tax The only asset they have is their house and anything over 100k could be taken from them for care it is risible in the extreme.
    Three choices for elderly care:

1. Those with means are made to pay for it
    2. Money comes from general taxation - throwing the burden on everybody including the young and the poor, just so that large estates can be passed on to children intact
    3. Don't bother, leave people to sit in their own piss

There is a choice number 4 - create a proper insurance scheme for elderly care which could help to deal with the tsunami wave of ageing baby boomers - but since Theresa May doesn't have a Tardis, and cannot, therefore go back and persuade Harold Wilson to set such a thing up, I think we can let her off for not going down that route.

Absent choice 4, choice 1 is the least worst option. There are a finite number of taxpayers, who already have to deal with high living costs and a fairly heavy burden of taxation. The Government has to make a lot of difficult choices about what it can afford to pay for and what it can't.
    I will go for number 2 a national health and social care service.The young also get old .
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited May 2017
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

Bahaha, loved Nuttall forgetting Leanne Wood's name, then the camera slowly panning across the 3 women's faces.

TBF Isn't the former leader of the Greens Natalie Wood?
    No?
    Natalie Bennett.

Natalie Wood was Robert Wagner's wife.
    Drowned in 1981, nobody convicted of the (probable) murder.
    I read a book about that years ago. She was on a boat with her husband (Robert Wagner) and her alleged lover (Christopher Walken) and drowned in mysterious circumstances.

Very odd set-up...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ITV News headlines not great for the Tories.... running down the losers from the Manifesto, followed by negative vox-pop.

It will be an interesting test - the manifesto launch was surely always going to be more negative than Labour's, because Labour are promising massive investment, wage rises, and an end to cutting. The Tories are abandoning deficit reduction (effectively) but are still presenting as more realistic, and therefore were going to have more negative stuff in it.

If someone thinks Corbyn is not up to the job, as seems the case, I am baffled that so many people have seemingly already returned to Labour - if significant numbers switch because the Tory manifesto has some bad parts, I will have lost all sense of why people vote the way they do, since they could not be clearer they have issues with Corbyn and Labour, and yet might jump because the Tories are shit too? To where? Back to the other crap lot?

I've read all three t measured seeming was the Tories (not surprisingly, as their message was 'let's improve on the good path we've demonstrated). The best written was the Tories, the best presented was the LDs, the clearest was the Tories.
    And the one which seems to have gone down like a bucket of sick is the Tory one - just this morning nicky campbell asking for listeners who liked some of the idea's because none coming through on radio 5 phone in .

Well it is the one that is less 'give everybody free stuff' and more 'give with one hand, taketh with the other', I'm not surprised its gone down poorly, particularly since the consensus seems to be it is also not aimed at some of the core Tory vote (which May is taking for granted).
    Taken for granted and the piss taken out for them .The lower middle class who can not afford lawers to get around the dementia tax The only asset they have is their house and anything over 100k could be taken from them for care it is risible in the extreme.
    May needs to U-turn on this, ok I'm not a massive fan of the LD reversal of the IHT but that is alot fairer. This is a cretinous policy that is going to sting precisely the sorts of lower middle class voters she needs to get out to win alot of Labour seats.

It's like some sick National Death lottery. The pooled scheme was a much better proposal.
    I agree the pooled scheme has much more sense.Surely as a society we could do this .
    But under the neo-Thatcher there is no such thing as society, so it is down to the individual.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2017
    It's like some sick National Death lottery. The pooled scheme was a much better proposal.

again - this is a step forward compared to where people are placed today, it needs refining I'm sure but it's still grasping a nettle that has been left for far too long and there's no utopian solution - anything but, there's no votes in this and fair play for May in trying to finally do something on this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Dadge said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Ironic that he sat out the coalition years to nurse leadership ambitions, only to screw his party into the ground with an awful strategy.

Well it could be down to him, Williams, Farron and Carmichael, (probably not worse, though none are completely safe), so it might happen - although Clegg had seemed revitalised post Brexit, as the LDs seemed like they had a purpose again, and one which might help them revive a bit.

IF that dream dies a second time, I don't know how he could keep fighting on, how the party could keep fighting on. Not making huge gains is one thing, making zero or negative progress is another.
    LDs have got very used to picking ourselves up after defeat.

We will survive and evolve. This election came two years too soon for us and Labour, which is exactly why it was called. No bigger majority was needed.
    No it wasn't,

No, it really is about May and Corbyn, so even though I did in the locals, what's the point of voting LD again?
    Agreed. I think this is the final end of the Lib Dems, as a serious force, for a generation, or maybe forever.
    I think the LibDems' main problem, since they fell to such a low base in 2015, is an old-fashioned squeeze. In most seats, a LibDem vote is a wasted/spoiler vote. And unfortunately this squeeze will also have an impact in those few seats where they do have a realistic chance of winning. In effect, the LibDems have returned to the electoral position they faced many years ago. I think this is sad, and they will rise again (perhaps quite soon if there are major ructions in Labour, or if Brexit bombs), but third-party politics is always going to be a tough proposition with the electoral system we've got.

If Labour get even close to 35 (high 20s early 30s is my current guess) and circa 200 seats, they aren't splitting. Why would any serious number of non-Corbynite MPs abandon the Labour brand which will have proven itself so strong it could survive Corbyn and an openly divided party? The whispers were that they'd barely break away even if reduced to 150 and Corbyn doesn't go.
  • Options
    Tory most seats @ 1.04 and Tory Maj at 1.08 must be far too close bettingwise.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

2. Money comes from general taxation - throwing the burden on everybody including the young and the poor, just so that large estates can be passed on to children intact

There is a choice number 4 - create a proper insurance scheme for elderly care which could help to deal with the tsunami wave of ageing baby boomers - but since Theresa May doesn't have a Tardis, and cannot, therefore go back and persuade Harold Wilson to set such a thing up, I think we can let her off for not going down that route.

Absent choice 4, choice 1 is the least worst option. There are a finite number of taxpayers, who already have to deal with high living costs and a fairly heavy burden of taxation. The Government has to make a lot of difficult choices about what it can afford to pay for and what it can't.
    The young also get old .
    You're telling me this now!? Shit, I should have exercised more.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Who gives a toss what actors and luvvies say?

They seem to think being in the public eye means we give a toss what they think.

We don't.
    I've grown to despise many luvvies like that. They have a child's view of politics usually shared only by senior politicians when they are posturing (and in defence of the latter, I imagine it is just posturing), seeing no potential merit in another side, attributing evil motivation to those they hate, and generally acting as though no one reasonable could vote for someone other than their side, when the fact is millions of people will vote for the Tories, probably a lot more than those who will vote Labour (and certainly more than LD), and Labour too will still get millions, so the alternate bashing doesn't work.

It's childlike, it's arrogant, it's annoying, and yet they seem to imagine themselves as really bloody sophisticated and noble.
    I have come to despise Gary Lineker. Shut the fuck up, you creepy, trillionaire, oddly brindled football-gnome.
    He has turned into a left wing Nigel farage..The pub bore you don't want to get stuck on a plane next to, especially if they hand out complementary copies of the daily mail.
    He's drunk on the weird high of political Twitter-approval. For someone used to the intellectually dull life of football commentary, it must be quite intoxicating.

I wonder if he will come a cropper.
    It's a bit sad when intelligent people get agitated about famous people giving their opinions. You're only jealous that they have easy access to the oxygen of publicity, and the fact that you're not ignoring them just makes things worse, not better.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Before Uber existed, how did the human race survive?

They phoned for a mini cab.
    Just round the corner...
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ITV News headlines not great for the Tories.... running down the losers from the Manifesto, followed by negative vox-pop.

It will be an interesting test - the manifesto launch was surely always going to be more negative than Labour's, because Labour are promising massive investment, wage rises, and an end to cutting. The Tories are abandoning deficit reduction (effectively) but are still presenting as more realistic, and therefore were going to have more negative stuff in it.

If someone thinks Corbyn is not up to the job, as seems the case, I am baffled that so many people have seemingly already returned to Labour - if significant numbers switch because the Tory manifesto has some bad parts, I will have lost all sense of why people vote the way they do, since they could not be clearer they have issues with Corbyn and Labour, and yet might jump because the Tories are shit too? To where? Back to the other crap lot?

I've read all three t measured seeming was the Tories (not surprisingly, as their message was 'let's improve on the good path we've demonstrated). The best written was the Tories, the best presented was the LDs, the clearest was the Tories.
    And the one which seems to have gone down like a bucket of sick is the Tory one - just this morning nicky campbell asking for listeners who liked some of the idea's because none coming through on radio 5 phone in .

May needs to U-turn on this, ok I'm not a massive fan of the LD reversal of the IHT but that is alot fairer. This is a cretinous policy that is going to sting precisely the sorts of lower middle class voters she needs to get out to win alot of Labour seats.

I agree the pooled scheme has much more sense.Surely as a society we could do this .
    But under the neo-Thatcher there is no such thing as society, so it is down to the individual.
    Agreed but this Mayism lark is a bit confusing .
  • Options
    Betting question: anyone now chancing a few of their quid on Labour getting 200 seats?
  • Options
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    TGOHF said:

Evan Davies is having a meltdown on Newsnight.

Why?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GeoffM said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

Bahaha, loved Nuttall forgetting Leanne Wood's name, then the camera slowly panning across the 3 women's faces.

TBF Isn't the former leader of the Greens Natalie Wood?
    No?
    Natalie Bennett.

Natalie Wood was Robert Wagner's wife.
    Drowned in 1981, nobody convicted of the (probable) murder.
    I read a book about that years ago. She was on a boat with her husband (Robert Wagner) and her alleged lover (Christopher Walken) and drowned in mysterious circumstances.

Very odd set-up...
    That I didn't know. I knew she died very young but wasn't aware of the circumstances. Shiver down the spine.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg is fanatically pro the EU so is as much to blame for the Lib Dem position as Farron.
    Well if they go down to 4 MPs (which is possible), for a start they might not survive as a party, and if they do they cannot go any further backwards for at least 5 years (pending by-elections or another early election call).
    There is a vacancy for an economically liberal party, which the Liberals used to be, now that the Conservatives have abandoned it.

Lib Dems should occupy this position.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Newsnight making a complete hash of this report from Hartlepool, mixing up the captions for Labour and UKIP candidates
  • Options
    Why did nobody tell me who was representing the Tories on Question Time?!?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The Conservative tweet is fucking bizarre though "After 7 years of Conservatives in power things are a bit shit" was my take away message.
    Yes, that is quite weird. Albeit true.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand “I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!” or “I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!” “I am homeless, the Government must house me!” and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and[fo 29] there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation and it is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate—“It is all right. We joined together and we have these insurance schemes to look after it”. That was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system and so some of those help and benefits that were meant to say to people: “All right, if you cannot get a job, you shall have a basic standard of living!” but when people come and say: “But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!” You say: “Look” It is not from the dole. It is your neighbour who is supplying it and if you can earn your own living then really you have a duty to do it and you will feel very much better!”

There is also something else I should say to them: “If that does not give you a basic standard, you know, there are ways in which we top up the standard. You can get your housing benefit.”

But it went too far. If children have a problem, it is society that is at fault. There is no such thing as society.[fo 30] There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.

M. H. Thatcher interviewed by Woman's Own, 1987.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Dadge said:

Betting question: anyone now chancing a few of their quid on Labour getting 200 seats?

No. But I'm backing them to hold in selected seats. I said they wouldn't fall as low as 150. But I also think 180 is their upper limit.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Yes. A few quid though -Currently expecting 180-190.

Why did nobody tell me who was representing the Tories on Question Time?!?

Assumed you'd be focused on that already.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg is fanatically pro the EU so is as much to blame for the Lib Dem position as Farron.
    Well if they go down to 4 MPs (which is possible), for a start they might not survive as a party, and if they do they cannot go any further backwards for at least 5 years (pending by-elections or another early election call).
    There is a vacancy for an economically liberal party, which the Liberals used to be, now that the Conservatives have abandoned it.

Lib Dems should occupy this position.
    Is there a vacancy though? The course of this election is showing that, perhaps, there is not room for another party anymore, even if a group is not being ideologically served at present.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Remembering 2015.

Cameron was lacklustre, the polls tightened and he won a majority.

• Options
    bobajobPB said:

Alistair said:

The Conservative tweet is fucking bizarre though "After 7 years of Conservatives in power things are a bit shit" was my take away message.
    Yes, that is quite weird. Albeit true.
    Modelling herself on Blair telling everyone how sh*t Old Labour used to be
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017

Dadge said:

No. But I'm backing them to hold in selected seats. I said they wouldn't fall as low as 150. But I also think 180 is their upper limit.
    I think that is a good tactic. The value is in Labour, but have to pick the seats.
  • Options
    cough ... no leveson 2 etc .... cough
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 5m5 minutes ago
    Labour HOLD Newtown (Stockton-on-Tees).
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand “I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!” or “I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!” “I am homeless, the Government must house me!” and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and[fo 29] there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation and it is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate—“It is all right. We joined together and we have these insurance schemes to look after it”. That was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system and so some of those help and benefits that were meant to say to people: “All right, if you cannot get a job, you shall have a basic standard of living!” but when people come and say: “But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!” You say: “Look” It is not from the dole. It is your neighbour who is supplying it and if you can earn your own living then really you have a duty to do it and you will feel very much better!”

There is also something else I should say to them: “If that does not give you a basic standard, you know, there are ways in which we top up the standard. You can get your housing benefit.”

But it went too far. If children have a problem, it is society that is at fault. There is no such thing as society.[fo 30] There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.

M. H. Thatcher interviewed by Woman's Own, 1987.
    Thank you Sonil,

I sometimes wonder if I should memorise the full quote to repeat back to these who try to quote her.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    So.. when are the next polls due? Asking for a friend....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The Labour Party appear to have cloned Pauline Calf.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remembering 2015.

We live in a small c Conservative country, luckily...
  • Options

Dadge said:

Hmm. If Labour really are at 32% then 200 seats seems likely, so a flutter at 9/2 seems wise. But... I think Labour have a problem with the way their vote is spread around the country, and there will be a lot of wasted Labour votes at this election. And maybe things seem worse to me because I'm in Birmingham - Labour seem to have really dropped in popularity here and could lose four seats in the city alone.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

The young also get old .
    You're telling me this now!? Shit, I should have exercised more.
    Exercise? Meh.
    Nobody ever lies on their deathbed and wishes they'd drunk and shagged less.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Dacre is fully on board.

Will he take his readers with him?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    RobD said:

Saturday.

Deffo having a YouGov and Opinium.

Likely to see ORB and ICM.

I'm hoping we might see at least one Scotland only poll. But that maybe next week.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    RobD said:

None until Saturday now unless the good lord has something up his sleeve, I guess.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I completely forgot there was the tv debate tonight, what's the consensus? Is it worth watching?
  • Options

RobD said:

Saturday.

I'm hoping we might see at least one Scotland only poll. But that maybe next week.
    Let me prepare the klaxon.
  • Options
    Another luvvie speaks.... his photo pic is deliciously apt

https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/865324197408636928
  • Options

Dadge said:

I think that is a good tactic. The value is in Labour, but have to pick the seats.
    I'm on the labour 30-35pc vote band too. Think they'll fall short but if they can hold at 32 for a while I hope to be able to cover 25-30 at at better price than currently on offer.
  • Options

I'm not even sure who he used to be.
  • Options

I completely forgot there was the tv debate tonight, what's the consensus? Is it worth watching?

Worth it for Nataliegate alone.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I just see his name and think about how every left wing cause he has supported has failed. Then i wonder how he keeps writing such shit.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Someone posted yesterday that Farron speaks too quickly.

That's exactly right - he sounds wound up and like an angry schoolboy having a rant.

ie Not credible to be in a senior position.

Poor. Getting sacked in 20 days.
    Day before the election? Seems harsh.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    GeoffM said:

A Daz salesman.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    The Sun's tone has certainly changed from when they went crazy about raising self-employed NI.

May has dropped the pledge on IT and NI - paving the way to raise self-employed NI - and yet The Sun is now in fully supportive mode.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

A Daz salesman.
    Cheers - yes, that's it..
    Thought I remembered him from somewhere.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    To be fair to the Mail, at least they've never made any bones about the fact they're unashamed Conservative propagandists. Rather that than the Telegraph in recent years, or the Evening Standard during the 2016 mayoral election -- papers which still seemed to think of themselves as "serious" and "objective" whilst pumping out partisan rubbish.
  • Options
    Every paper bar Mirror and Guardian is positive for May.
  • Options
    Quick polling question. Are the headline figures they quote adjusted for likelihood to vote or is that something we need to make our own personal adjustments for?
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    It is getting impossible to see who to vote for

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left
    lib dems no idea what they stand for except they are left of labour
    Greens absolutely stupidly left

As a socially liberal (classic sense) and economic liberal(classic sense) there is no party here for me
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remembering 2015.

Even the exit poll predicted a hung parliament, albeit with the Tories north of 300 seats.
  • Options

Quick polling question. Are the headline figures they quote adjusted for likelihood to vote or is that something we need to make our own personal adjustments for?

IPSOS-MORI applies a turnout weighting.

Without that weighting, Labour would've been at 37%, with the Tories having "only" a 9-point lead.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    bobajobPB said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Just round the corner...
    And we wonder why Uber is so popular....
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yup. And apparently the focus groups say the same thing. Teflon Theresa.

David who?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

The headline VI in polls includes turnout adjustments. Some polls also publish the figures without those, if you want to compare. These are typically better for Labour, who poll better among younger and poorer voters - who also turnout less.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2017
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

A Daz salesman.
    Cheers - yes, that's it..
    Thought I remembered him from somewhere.
    To be fair, he is the brains behind Chris Evans success...he is the one that thought up the funny bits in shows like TFI Fridays while Chris was too drunk to have a bloody clue what was going on.

Just look what happened when Chris decided to do a show with all his own ideas....I believe it was called Reverse Ratings (working title- how to lose £100 million franchise in 9 episodes or less) or something...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

IPSOS-MORI applies a turnout weighting.

Without that weighting, Labour would've been at 37%, with the Tories having "only" a 9-point lead.
    Gotcha. Thanks Danny.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    Dadge said:

No, but I had £300 on a Con majoriity of over 100 until this afternoon when I decided to cash out for a tiny (£3.50) loss. A truly lacklustre manifesto and what now look like a series of unforced errors by May, combined with an impressively resilent Labour core vote makes me think a Con majority of around 50 is far more likely than 150 now. There's still a lot to play for, but the direction of travel is clear.

I am very fortunate to have taken the advice offered here a couple of weeks ago and will still be quids in so long as the Lib Dems are < 20 seats.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think this election is a good reason to keep trident and whatever the result nuke westminster and get rid of the fuckers
  • Options
    Quincel said:

The headline VI in polls includes turnout adjustments. Some polls also publish the figures without those, if you want to compare. These are typically better for Labour, who poll better among younger and poorer voters - who also turnout less.
    Cheers Q. Just the sort of info I need.
  • Options
    "LIBERAL Democrat leader Tim Farron was dubbed “a s*** candidate” today – by a school kid he tried to high-five.

The party boss, who has watched his support in the polls drop to as little as 8 per cent, smiled for the cameras and glad-handed local officials.

He then turned to a group of kids from the local primary in Staveley, Cumbria, and began high-fiving them.

But there were giggles from the youngsters when one of them loudly announced: “He’s a s*** candidate.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3597721/lib-dem-leader-tim-farron-branded-a-s-candidate-by-a-primary-school-kid-he-tried-to-high-five/
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Mortimer said:

MikeL said:

David who?
    I still think that the vast majority of people see May as continuity Cameron in terms of broad policy.

But she's not (so) posh and rich so some "ordinary" people are more comfortable with her.

All the differences talked up on here (and the stuff which gets the right-wing throwing toys out of their pram) are things the average person doesn't notice or care about.
  • Options
    Did I mention that May is a curtain-twitching, illiberal, meddling, anti-metropolitan dullard?
  • Options
    The labour MP on QT clapped the Green man ranting on about tuition fees and ditching them. How progressive.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Did I mention that May is a curtain-twitching, illiberal, meddling, anti-metropolitan dullard?

Do you think Corbyn is any better

though probably will vote labour now
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

You missed out something about mile wide and inch deep.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pagan said:

I think this election is a good reason to keep trident and whatever the result nuke westminster and get rid of the fuckers

So you prefer Loon left to centre left, per your earlier assessment?
  • Options
    If true that would be dramatic, given how safe it was for Labour last time. But the local paper could easy have got some guff from some bystander wanting to spin a line.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan said:

So you prefer Loon left to centre left, per your earlier assessment?
    when all the choices are to the left sometimes you have to let the country burn so people see what a left wing government means so maybe it will rise from the ashes
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Just round the corner...
    And we wonder why Uber is so popular....
    Yep, it's the lack of uncertainty - the prices help - but the reason it is so popular is that you can see your ride rather than relying on a sketchy call to an indifferent cab operator.
  • Options
    Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

As a socially liberal (classic sense) and economic liberal(classic sense) there is no party here for me

There is the libertarian party UK

https://libertarianpartyuk.com/

• Options

RobD said:

Saturday.

For the first time today I'm glad I've not got a big open buy position on the Tory spreads. First big error day from the Tories this election imo the wheel of Dementia lottery.
  • Options
    Ed Balls
  • Options
    Pagan said:

bobajobPB said:

Do you think Corbyn is any better

though probably will vote labour now
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

You missed out something about mile wide and inch deep.
    I can add that in if you insist Rob?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

yes used to be a member when chris mounsie was in charge then andrew withers took over and he was a crook

• Options
    bobajobPB said:

Ed Balls

his moment of the week is Len's comment that 200 MPs is a good Labour outcome - as this shows it's ok to vote Labour for those Labour voters who don't want Jezza as PM.....

erm
  • Options
    Pagan said:

BigRich said:

Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

yes used to be a member when chris mounsie was in charge then andrew withers took over and he was a crook in my opinion (editted for mr smithsons sake)

• Options
    Pagan said:

BigRich said:

Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

yes used to be a member when chris mounsie was in charge then andrew withers took over and he was a crook

I don't know very much about the party, expt they seem more minarchists that anarchist, they don't seem to be presenting themselves very well. but as I'm not a member I'm not going to critaissi to much.

I think the old Liberals (those who did not join the libdems) are still around I think they are sound, but probably wont be standing in many places.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Pagan said:

BigRich said:

Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

I don't know very much about the party, expt they seem more minarchists that anarchist, they don't seem to be presenting themselves very well. but as I'm not a member I'm not going to critaissi to much.

I think the old Liberals (those who did not join the libdems) are still around I think they are sound, but probably wont be standing in many places.
    they were largely a joke after chris stepped down
  • Options
    Is this Delingpole guy sane?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Saturday.

For the first time today I'm glad I've not got a big open buy position on the Tory spreads. First big error day from the Tories this election imo the wheel of Dementia lottery.
    I kinda regret closing my con seats buy @ 388. It was too soon. Could have doubled my 10x stake profit if I'd have left it until after the locals/mayorals.

Oh well.

I have a suspicion the con manifesto damage will hit con safe seats while making next to no difference in the new marginals.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Was that when he became a Eurosceptic? :innocent:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Mortimer said:

MikeL said:

David who?
    May's cunning plan is to bore her opponents to death. Strong and stable. Strong and stabzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options

Is this Delingpole guy sane?

No.
  • Options
    100% of people are insane enough to vote for left wing parties why should he be different
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

"LIBERAL Democrat leader Tim Farron was dubbed “a s*** candidate” today – by a school kid he tried to high-five.

The party boss, who has watched his support in the polls drop to as little as 8 per cent, smiled for the cameras and glad-handed local officials.

He then turned to a group of kids from the local primary in Staveley, Cumbria, and began high-fiving them.

But there were giggles from the youngsters when one of them loudly announced: “He’s a s*** candidate.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3597721/lib-dem-leader-tim-farron-branded-a-s-candidate-by-a-primary-school-kid-he-tried-to-high-five/

Why is "shit" asterisked??? :lol:
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
  • Options
    Pagan said:

BigRich said:

Pagan said:

BigRich said:

Pagan said:

Tory centre left
    Labour loon left

they were largely a joke after chris stepped down
    Pity, I am getting so frustrated with both the con and LibDems, I could just about see myself standing as a Libertarian Party so that I could at lest once in a my life vote for a position I fully believed in.
This discussion has been closed.