Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 campaign suspended though what that means is hard to sa

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,580

Wire said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome to PB @Wire

Damned decent of you not to immediately question the motives of a debutant poster.
    A sign of the times.

Edit: Seriously though, I do try to welcome posters on their first post.
    Yeah, but that one was so clearly insidious you might have made an exception to the rule.
    Hi Peter

Not insidious, if aimed at me. The knowledge and intellect on here makes that claim a little flimsy. The point was that people on all levels really need to be careful how they respond in one circumstance in case that response is then justifiably thrown back at them at a later date. Ask Colin Parry. I don't know where you are based but I can assure you that in the North West it is a very subdued day and lots of people are very upset.

I might add I look forward to your posts, very insightful, most of the time :-)

Of course it was aimed at you.

You stated you had been a lurker for many years and yet you do not know where I am based. You can't have been lurking very often if you are unaware of my location, or my identity generally. I've been posting since March 2005 (the first 10,000 or so posts were under a very slightly different username, before Mike switched to Vanilla) so to regulars I should think I'm almost family.

Excuse me if I find your credentials a bit thin.
    I don't know where you're based. No offence intended but apart from the Scots (and then it's just Scotland in general) and a certain individual from Bedford I don't know where many people are from. You're definitely part of the family here though and not knowing your identity is implausible.
    Thank you Philip. I am however moderately surprised that my East End roots are not more widely known, not least because of my occasional use of the local vernacular, my old china.

Still, I suppose it depends how your antennae are fixed. I must admit I couldn't locate most posters, either geographically or politically.
    I always thought you came from Putney...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Also in 2013 I saw Girls Aloud live at the MEN Arena.

They were fab, nearly as awesome as Depeche Mode in 2009 and Duran Duran in 2011.

:)

I never thought that I'd find another Girls Aloud fan on PB.

I'd be surprised if there weren't quite a lot. PB's combined musical tastes are broad and unpredicable.

I think I've only been the the MEN once, to see My Chemical Romance, which was amusing as the signs on the A road leading into the city had 'MCR' painted on the road.
    I was never a great fan of My Chemical Romance.

I liked Green Day and Paramore.
    Green Day have their moments: usually when contained within 4 minutes.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    Blue_rog said:
    Nice cartoon. I recall some of the cartoons after Charlie Hebdo were brilliant.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Jason said:

I never thought in my entire life I would visit this site and witness a love-in between Girls Aloud fans. I don't think even Sean T with his maniacal frothing can top that.

Don't mention trains
    AV, Trains, Girls Aloud. The (new) Holy Trinity of PB. :p
    Not Hawaiian pizzas?
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Cyan said:

IanB2 said:

Morrisons are running a collection for the families of victims at supermarket checkouts.

Talk about cashing in. And what mean bastards - couldn't the company itself donate anything?
    How is running a collection for someone else hit by a traumatic event "cashing in"? They aren't taking a percentage. And, even if they aren't making a donation themselves (which we don't know), how does this make them mean bastards? What about all those companies and individuals doing nothing at all?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Jason said:

I never thought in my entire life I would visit this site and witness a love-in between Girls Aloud fans. I don't think even Sean T with his maniacal frothing can top that.

Don't mention trains
    Can we add trans to that list?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Actually I was meant to be seeing Kiss next Tuesday at the MEN Arena.

You certainly have a errhhhh shall we say an eclectic taste in music.
    You've never lived until you've seen the Kiss Army in action.
    Got any Kiss/Steps mashups? :smiley:
    Nope, this is the greatest mash up in history.

The Nine Inch Nails vs Rick Astley

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQLeNiNTtbc&list=RDfQLeNiNTtbc

(I also saw NIN back in 2014 at the arena too, on the night of the European Election results, so I've actually written PB threads from inside that arena)
    Have I been rickrolled? :o

My favourite mashup is enya vs prodigy.. smack my bitch up/orinoco flow. :p
    Kosheen vs Placebo - Hide the Bitter Pill

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7XwhRhRSvo
    Nice!
    Hmm, now am I going to spend the next hour listening to mashups?
    We Found Somebody That I Used to Know

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4coj9bHEOZg
    Ohh, that one is good!

Here's Prodigy vs. Enya I mentioned earlier:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CTJqwX-AwM
    That's a good one. Watching musical mashups is somewhat preferable to discussing terrorism.

Music sounds better on holiday:
    youtube.com/watch?v=JrCv9vbLqWY
    Nice :D
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206

They were fab, nearly as awesome as Depeche Mode in 2009 and Duran Duran in 2011.

I'm seeing Depeche Mode at the Olympic ("London") Stadium in less than two weeks - needless to say, I am a little apprehensive after last night's events.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Justin Bieber's continued success is tragic.

One of the few Canadian exports in recent years that I don't like.

U like Molson?
    Who?

When it comes to Canada I was thinking about Drake, The Weeknd, Alessia Cara
    Molson is a beer, not a band!

The Canadians make surprisingly good wine too...
    Including the Okanagan Valley....with their bizarre ice wine.
    That's what I was thinking of. One of the best dessert wines I've had.

Very good with stilton, one of those combinations that sounds awful but is actually delicious.
    I rediscovered a product - Toast for Cheese where they have a heavily fruited one with nuts that goes stupidly well with Stilton. Wierd!
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Andrew Neil interviews suspended.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Jason said:

Don't mention trains
    Did Stapleton Road (Bristol) to Severn Beach yesterday :)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Rhubarb said:

Is Corbyn getting out of it?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Anyone who bombs a pop concert aiming to kill innocent people is a terrorist. It's really weird that there is even any discourse about whether such an attack is "terrorist" or not. Not all terrorists are jihadists, but that's not the issue.

Why can't Jeremy Corbyn speak for himself?

He must be annoyed by the fast one that May has pulled on him to help the Tories, of course. The way she has said that the election campaign has been suspended as if it were within her authority to suspend anything other than the Tory campaign. And if he calls her on it, the Tories will denounce him as disloyal to the country. A truly vile Tory move. But how about Corbyn rises above it? He could make a speech denouncing the terrorist attack, praising the efforts of the police and security forces, and saying that like Mrs May he has felt it right to suspend his party's campaign, and in times of such WEAKNESS and INSTABILITY what is needed is UNITY and PROTECTION.

(The usage of "strong and stable" in the Tory campaign will probably subside a bit now.)
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/866955435462594560
  • Options

I'm seeing Depeche Mode at the Olympic ("London") Stadium in less than two weeks - needless to say, I am a little apprehensive after last night's events.
    Ah thank God someone with decent musical taste, I was seriously beginning to worry. 'Enjoy the Silence' - yes.
  • Options

Wire said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome to PB @Wire

Damned decent of you not to immediately question the motives of a debutant poster.
    A sign of the times.

Yeah, but that one was so clearly insidious you might have made an exception to the rule.
    Hi Peter

Not insidious, if aimed at me. The knowledge and intellect on here makes that claim a little flimsy. The point was that people on all levels really need to be careful how they respond in one circumstance in case that response is then justifiably thrown back at them at a later date. Ask Colin Parry. I don't know where you are based but I can assure you that in the North West it is a very subdued day and lots of people are very upset.

You stated you had been a lurker for many years and yet you do not know where I am based. You can't have been lurking very often if you are unaware of my location, or my identity generally. I've been posting since March 2005 (the first 10,000 or so posts were under a very slightly different username, before Mike switched to Vanilla) so to regulars I should think I'm almost family.

I don't know where you're based. No offence intended but apart from the Scots (and then it's just Scotland in general) and a certain individual from Bedford I don't know where many people are from. You're definitely part of the family here though and not knowing your identity is implausible.
    Thank you Philip. I am however moderately surprised that my East End roots are not more widely known, not least because of my occasional use of the local vernacular, my old china.

Still, I suppose it depends how your antennae are fixed. I must admit I couldn't locate most posters, either geographically or politically.
    I always thought you came from Putney...
    Lol! (sorry, can't do emoticons.)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

Maybe they'll move Tue/Wed/Thu to Mon/Tue/Wed next week? The GE should be back on in a few days.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Blue_rog said:

U like Molson?
    Who?

Very good with stilton, one of those combinations that sounds awful but is actually delicious.
    I rediscovered a product - Toast for Cheese where they have a heavily fruited one with nuts that goes stupidly well with Stilton. Wierd!
    Eating fruitcake with cheese is traditional (with good reason - it tastes fantastic).
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Anyone who bombs a pop concert aiming to kill innocent people is a terrorist. It's really weird that there is even any discourse about whether such an attack is "terrorist" or not. Not all terrorists are jihadists, but that's not the issue.

He must be annoyed by the fast one that May has pulled on him to help the Tories, of course. The way she has said that the election campaign has been suspended as if it were within her authority to suspend anything other than the Tory campaign. And if he calls her on it, the Tories will denounce him as disloyal to the country. A truly vile Tory move. But how about Corbyn rises above it? He could make a speech denouncing the terrorist attack, praising the efforts of the police and security forces, and saying that like Mrs May he has felt it right to suspend his party's campaign, and in times of such WEAKNESS and INSTABILITY what is needed is UNITY and PROTECTION.

(The usage of "strong and stable" in the Tory campaign will probably subside a bit now.)
    I doubt her saying she suspended the campaign is going to move a single vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

Maybe they'll move Tue/Wed/Thu to Mon/Tue/Wed next week? The GE should be back on in a few days.
    I sincerely hope Neil doesn't row back on Corbyn's IRA sympathies. I don't think he will, but it might be framed a little differently.

Anyway, my theory regarding Corbyn's rap sheet will be tested to destruction now. If the general public didn't know before, everyone will know by June 8th. Good. He cannot be allowed to airbrush this stuff away.
  • Options
    @SeanT.. what is it with you and the Corbynistas? :o
  • Options
    Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

I sincerely hope Neil doesn't row back on Corbyn's IRA sympathies. I don't think he will, but it might be framed a little differently.

Anyway, my theory regarding Corbyn's rap sheet will be tested to destruction now. If the general public didn't know before, everyone will know by June 8th. Good. He cannot be allowed to airbrush this stuff away.
    The Sun have certainly helped on that front with their front page.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Jason said:

Don't mention trains
    You were clearly absent during the great Showaddywaddy debate.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    Freggles said:

I'd be surprised if there weren't quite a lot. PB's combined musical tastes are broad and unpredicable.

I think I've only been the the MEN once, to see My Chemical Romance, which was amusing as the signs on the A road leading into the city had 'MCR' painted on the road.
    Was that the March 2007 gig? I was there!
    Having met both of you that's rather surprising. Pulpstar I could see as an emo.
    I went under duress, I spent most of the gig looking at my phone wanting to see what was happening in the England v Israel qualifier
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

Labour put up a man as potential Prime Minister who has sided with terrorists in the past. With the enemies of this country. A man who would not use shoot to kill. A man who has serious qualms about using drones on those outside our country plotting to set up terror strikes within our country. A man who would have the farce of building submarines (because the unions still want the jobs) but who wouldn't arm them - or if he did, wouldn't fire them under any circumstances.

You, as an apologist for that man, have a much bigger fucking problem than Theresa May claiming she closed down the election.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

There is something slightly odd about complaining that the members of a political forum are discussing the political implications of what is almost certainly a political act. I can't for the life of me think why it is predominately supporters of one party that are disquieted about the discussion taking place.

Apparently some exruciatingly pious formalisms have to be observed on these occasions before normal service can be resumed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCDomC: BREAKING: The self-styled Islamic State group has said on one of its social media channels that it was behind the #Manchester attack.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Cyan said:

He must be annoyed by the fast one that May has pulled on him to help the Tories, of course. The way she has said that the election campaign has been suspended as if it were within her authority to suspend anything other than the Tory campaign. And if he calls her on it, the Tories will denounce him as disloyal to the country. A truly vile Tory move.

What a load of nasty-minded rubbish. As Corbyn's statement said, they agreed to suspend national campaigns, and both announced at roughly the same time (as did the LibDems, FWIW).
  • Options

Cyan said:

Labour put up a man as potential Prime Minister who has sided with terrorists in the past. With the enemies of this country. A man who would not use shoot to kill. A man who has serious qualms about using drones on those outside our country plotting to set up terror strikes within our country. A man who would have the farce of building submarines (because the unions still want the jobs) but who wouldn't arm them - or if he did, wouldn't fire them under any circumstances.

You, as an apologist for that man, have a much bigger fucking problem than Theresa May claiming she closed down the election.
    Bravo, Mark!!
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

I expect that they'll be rescheduled for later in the campaign. Or they might just bump Nuttall out if campaigning's back on tomorrow (which'd feel a bit early, to my mind). UKIP clearly now below the other four in significance.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

U like Molson?
    Who?

Eating fruitcake with cheese is traditional (with good reason - it tastes fantastic).
    Done that with sharp cheddar but not a blue cheese.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    mwadams said:

Cyan said:

He must be annoyed by the fast one that May has pulled on him to help the Tories, of course. The way she has said that the election campaign has been suspended as if it were within her authority to suspend anything other than the Tory campaign. And if he calls her on it, the Tories will denounce him as disloyal to the country. A truly vile Tory move.

What a load of nasty-minded rubbish. As Corbyn's statement said, they agreed to suspend national campaigns, and both announced at roughly the same time (as did the LibDems, FWIW).
    :+1:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    RobD said:

He's just getting his red wings.
  • Options
    I can't listen to Corbyn's weasel words.....truly sickening.....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have heard it suggested that the Police might advise against Corbyn continuing with his big rallies - at which he has been quite effective. That is unlikely I would have thought. Moreover until the 1990s most electioneering by party leaders during the campaign period consisted of addressing mass audiences at various City and Town Halls across the land. Back in the 1960s it was common to find hecklers at those meetings some of whom were effective at interrupting the speakers. This came to mind yesterday with the footage of an Anti – Fox Hunting demonstrator being carried off and arrested during May’s Wrexham visit on the grounds of a ‘breach of the peace’. Nobody tried to arrest those people hecking Harold Wilson , Alec Douglas Home, George Brown or Ted Heath at the 1964 /1966 elections.It seems unnecessary that the police authorities collude in the silencing of dissenters in this way. At the end of the day it is not their job to support the control freakery of today’s party leaders.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    SeanT said:

I was with my leftwing, eco-conscious and very lovely girlfriend last night. She's 21 years old, smart and politically aware.

She expressed some very Katie Hopkins-esque opinions re Islam in the West. I was properly shocked.

If a Corbynite Millennial is thinking that kind of thing, even in the context of a horrible attack., and a few glasses of wine...

Just so fucking sad. All those screaming kids. Jesus.

Looking at Twitter I'm not necessarily sure that masses of Corbynite millenials are thinking along the lines of Hopkins, especially after her recent comments.

Anecdotal experiences aren't necessarily reflective of the public mood. If I trusted my own circle, I'd be thinking that Corbyn was heading towards 50+ majority.
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

That's surely wrong. Never a better time for Corbyn to explain himself And it would be nice to hear what Tim Farron has to say also.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

@BBCDomC: BREAKING: The self-styled Islamic State group has said on one of its social media channels that it was behind the #Manchester attack.

One would hope that, even allowing for how depraved anyone who's remotely attracted to jihadism in the first place must be, an act specifically targeting young kids might now give people out there second thoughts about getting involved in this evil ideology.

That's probably too optimistic though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Young people tend to be Corbynite. It's just a thing..

She and I had the loveliest evening, then this horror. Bleh.

Another friend of mine - with an 18 year old daughter - says he was quaking with rage when he saw the photos and videos. The youth of the victims is really going to hit home: more than some other, similar-sized atrocities.
    You have a friend with an 18 year old daughter? For how much longer, I wonder.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289

Was that the March 2007 gig? I was there!
    Yes, it must have been: the most recent album at the time had been Black Parade.

*feels old*.
    Tell me about it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I have heard it suggested that the Police might advise against Corbyn continuing with his big rallies - at which he has been quite effective. That is unlikely I would have thought. Moreover until the 1990s most electioneering by party leaders during the campaign period consisted of addressing mass audiences at various City and Town Halls across the land. Back in the 1960s it was common to find hecklers at those meetings some of whom were effective at interrupting the speakers. This came to mind yesterday with the footage of an Anti – Fox Hunting demonstrator being carried off and arrested during May’s Wrexham visit on the grounds of a ‘breach of the peace’. Nobody tried to arrest those people hecking Harold Wilson , Alec Douglas Home, George Brown or Ted Heath at the 1964 /1966 elections.It seems unnecessary that the police authorities collude in the silencing of dissenters in this way. At the end of the day it is not their job to support the control freakery of today’s party leaders.

Suggest the (perceived) security risk is much more substantial these days.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Rhubarb said:

UKIP if they get a hearing in the media will start to get some traction for their views once the initial reaction has finished.As for many they are looking for more than condemnation and thanking the emergency services.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

He's just getting his red wings.
    Euuuugh
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Rhubarb said:

That's surely wrong. Never a better time for Corbyn to explain himself And it would be nice to hear what Tim Farron has to say also.
    Appropriate IMO that the interviews are suspended, hopefully they’ll be on again next week.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

Article from former IRA member and leader...I posted links to them earlier, but that 'disgusted' some posters....

So here they are again:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623934/ex-ira-killer-says-jeremy-corbyns-solidarity-encouraged-vicious-campaign-of-violence-and-without-his-support-terrorist-murders-and-torture-would-have-ended-much-earlier/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Hardly from a single Anti-Fox Hunting demonstrator!
  • Options
    OK, serious thoughts as to how this will affect the election. I say it will crystalise the public's view that Corbyn would be a massive risk and a completely irrational choice as a PM, not that he was going to ever achieve that anyway.

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?
  • Options
    Jason said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Young people tend to be Corbynite. It's just a thing..

She and I had the loveliest evening, then this horror. Bleh.

Another friend of mine - with an 18 year old daughter - says he was quaking with rage when he saw the photos and videos. The youth of the victims is really going to hit home: more than some other, similar-sized atrocities.
    You have a friend with an 18 year old daughter? For how much longer, I wonder.
    Arf!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Hardly from a single Anti-Fox Hunting demonstrator!
    Who knows, these days? All it takes is one.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

There was one incident at the 1964 election when a protester threw an egg at Alec Douglas-Home and the PM - a former first-class cricketer - caught it without breaking the shell.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Cyan said:

You are sounding particularly bitter today, almost like you were a supporter of the hard left seeing the last electoral straw you were clutching at sinking beneath the waves.
  • Options
    WireWire Posts: 7

Didn't realise I needed credentials to post here. Why the hell should I bother where you are or who you are? Does your opinion count more than mine? do you have a second preferential opinion or is it FPTP? As others have alluded to, Manchester and the North West is very subdued today. The relevance of Warrington is because that is where I am now, born and bred. I had kids in that town centre, that morning. Do you have any concept of what that is like? No mobiles, no social media, just silence until they walked through the door. Forgive me if I am upsetting your sensibilities on pointing out the well documented attitude of Jeremy Corbyn on the subject of terrorism. Please let me know when you feel it would be suitable to express my opinion on this subject and I will duly ignore you. Thanks
  • Options

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

Article from former IRA member and leader...I posted links to them earlier, but that 'disgusted' some posters....

So here they are again:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623934/ex-ira-killer-says-jeremy-corbyns-solidarity-encouraged-vicious-campaign-of-violence-and-without-his-support-terrorist-murders-and-torture-would-have-ended-much-earlier/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/
    IRA killers' accounts are reliable sources now?
  • Options

justin124 said:

There was one incident at the 1964 election when a protester threw an egg at Alec Douglas-Home and the PM - a former first-class cricketer - caught it without breaking the shell.
    And at the 1966 election Harold Wilson was hit in the eye by a stink bomb thrown by a schoolboy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Rhubarb said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Jez's interview will now be delayed I suspect thus moving it from the less watched friday evening slot.
    The Tories are fortuitous the care clarification/u-turn was brought in seeing as the clock is now stopped.
    Anyway hopefully this won't change any voting intentions, I can't see it doing any harm to the incumbent mind.

I doubt it about Jez interview: only Tuesday today, and life goes on - and every disruption resulting from last night is victory of sorts for the bomber. 1 day suspension, then on we go.
    I agree with that. It will be dominated by this of course but if he tried to postpone it (a) it would suggest terrorism is disrupting our democratic process and (b) it would give his many critics far too good an opportunity to say he's frightened of being quizzed about his record on terrorism.

The first is a compelling reason why the interview should go ahead. The second is sadly unavoidable in light of his past.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

I've already had an email from the Met Police with details of extra Police being drafted in to cover public places today, and I would expect there'll now be a review of security for the election. In their position I'd be looking at events such as election counts, which normally have barely any security at all, and certainly making sure fuller ID checks are carried out on people attending - they'll have the names by 1st June.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,844

Rhubarb said:

Appropriate IMO that the interviews are suspended, hopefully they’ll be on again next week.
    I think politics is off for the rest of the week now, probably until Sunday. Everyone needs to echo the PMs comments then say nothing for a few days. There has to be a non-negligible chance that someone will open their mouth only to insert their foot.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

Well he was at least an eye witness, which is a site more than any of Corbyn's apologists were.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

They are when Corbyn is defending his 'record'.....
  • Options
    Jason said:

OK, serious thoughts as to how this will affect the election. I say it will crystalise the public's view that Corbyn would be a massive risk and a completely irrational choice as a PM, not that he was going to ever achieve that anyway.

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

I suspect a lot of people who were prepared to hold their nose and vote Labour for their local candidates will now sit on their arses on polling day. They'll realise they just have to get rid of the guy. Start afresh, new leader.

Labour to poll in the twenties now.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SeanT said:

I was with my leftwing, eco-conscious and very lovely girlfriend last night. She's 21 years old, smart and politically aware.

She expressed some very Katie Hopkins-esque opinions re Islam in the West. I was properly shocked.

If a Corbynite Millennial is thinking that kind of thing, even in the context of a horrible attack., and a few glasses of wine...

Looking at Twitter I'm not necessarily sure that masses of Corbynite millenials are thinking along the lines of Hopkins, especially after her recent comments.

Anecdotal experiences aren't necessarily reflective of the public mood. If I trusted my own circle, I'd be thinking that Corbyn was heading towards 50+ majority.
    What Corbynite millenials chose to exhibit to their friends on Twitter might be slightly different to what they hold in their own hearts. After all, expressing even qualified support for even the most generous of Ms Hopkin's views on social media is probably enough to get you drummed out of the Tufty club (* shows age).
  • Options

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

So are we now always to trust anything former IRA members say, or only when what they say favours the Conservatives?
  • Options
    Jason said:

Ah thank God someone with decent musical taste, I was seriously beginning to worry. 'Enjoy the Silence' - yes.
    Yes, their best song indeed!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Cyan said:

Never mind, I'm sure that voters will see through that vile Tory move. If anything, it will remind them that what they really need at at a time like this is Diane Abbott in charge of national security.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Isn't it the case that most voters aren't aware of Corbyn's links to the IRA/Hamas?

I'm sure there was some recent polling on this.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Tearing up at the Sky News report of the pictures of the young people that are missing that the families are appealing for help. So young. I hope some of them are reunited with their families. :'(
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

So are we now always to trust anything former IRA members say, or only when what they say favours the Conservatives?
    I put it to you that members of the public will have a similar view. They will read the story with interest, and then weight in their minds if they give more credibility to the former terrorist, or the current apologist for terrorism... do you feel lucky ? ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

They are young and impressionable?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

SeanT said:

What Corbynite millenials chose to exhibit to their friends on Twitter might be slightly different to what they hold in their own hearts. After all, expressing even qualified support for even the most generous of Ms Hopkin's views on social media is probably enough to get you drummed out of the Tufty club (* shows age).
    The political outlook of Corbyn supporters means that them entertaining Hopkins world view is incredibly unlikely. This is borne out on Twitter, and many other documented observations of their views. In previous incidents, most have taken a view that is more along the lines of being critical of Western foreign policy - that is part of a larger, 'anti-Imperialist/anti-Western' outlook.
  • Options

Cyan said:

Never mind, I'm sure that voters will see through that vile Tory move. If anything, it will remind them that what they really need at at a time like this is Diane Abbott in charge of national security.
    The same Diane Abbott who wanted to abolish the security services.
  • Options

Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

I suspect a lot of people who were prepared to hold their nose and vote Labour for their local candidates will now sit on their arses on polling day. They'll realise they just have to get rid of the guy. Start afresh, new leader.

Labour to poll in the twenties now.
    It's all going to come undone for Labour. They haven't really started on McDonnell and Abbott yet, two more terrorist sympathisers who hope to form our next government.

I would say that Sun front page will be as at least as damaging as the dementia tax was for the Tories. The Sun has an estimated 10 million readership, and plenty of those will be the very people who wavered and considered voting Labour.

This atrocity today will magnify further still the stark choice on June 8th.

As Sean T said, I feel it in me waters.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Who are you calling an "apologist"? Can I be a "fellow traveller"? :)

It's you who have the problem. You're trying to say a terror attack on a pop concert in Manchester strengthens the case for Britain having strategic nuclear weapons, which are designed for use against cities, namely to massacre civilians.

I've now found Jeremy Corbyn's speech and watched it. It was even more crap than Theresa May's. Two lines stood out:

"This is an appalling act of violence against people." (Really?)
    "We have to make sure we live in a safe environment in the future." (What an embarrassing thing to say.)

BTW had you read Labour's manifesto you would know that they are promising to replace Trident. That is not because of trade unions wanting to protect jobs but because the Labour party hasn't got the guts to oppose the warfare state in a more profound way. The last thing they would want to do is upset the US government or call NATO membership into question or upset the British (or US) military-industrial complex too much - and in that respect they look just like the Tories. Where Jeremy Corbyn does deserve praise is at least he has said that he would not let loose these obscene weapons. As soon as Theresa May became PM she said hell yeah, she'd be blood-dripping-from-fangs willing to let them loose (i.e. nuke whole cities out of existence), so it can't be denied that there's a difference in attitudes between the parties here.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

Corbyn claims he helped the Peace process - we're not allowed to challenge that?

It's the front page of the Sun, a major article and Sun Leader.....
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Britain has lived with terrorism for 50 years, but the deliberate targeting of teenage girls is the worst of the worst.

They were targeted because they were girls. Girls who go to school. Girls who will grow up not to be subservient to men. Girls who will now not grow up at all because they were murdered by losers who are scared of them.

Britain is a tolerant country. Manchester, the city of my birth, is a tolerant place. But the Muslim community must stand up and be counted now.

The person who committed this act, and those who stand behind him, secure in their anonymity and cloaked in the righteousness of their beliefs, must be condemned.

They believe in death. They glorify death. They believe their reward will be in death.

The only way to reach these people is through the religion they call their own.

They will not listen to Christians, or any other religion of peace.

They might just listen to the elders of Islam.

So, this is their chance. Issue a fatwa against the perpetrators of this act and stand up to be counted with your fellow citizens of Britain.

I hope you’re with us.

http://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/issue-the-fatwa

At least the Imam of Leeds is with us...

Imam Qari Asim MBE, Imam of Leeds Makkah Mosque and independent member of the government's Anti-Muslim Hatred Working Group, said the victims "are very much in our thoughts and prayers".

"This was an attack on all of us," he added.

"We absolutely condemn the barbaric acts of an individual determined to spread hate and prejudice across the world.

"The senseless murder of innocents is utterly deplorable.

"We must not let them win by creating the divisions they so desperately seek to sow."
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

It was a forgone conclusion anyway.I do not believe anyone rally thought he would be PM.What are you really saying that he encourages terrorism ? He always comes across as a pacifist to me .
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

Rhubarb said:

So here they are again:

If Corbyn's actions in the 80s and 90s hindered the IRA's goals, what might they be expected to have done?

See Airey Neave or the Brighton bombing if you're not sure.

We can infer that they found him helpful. As others have observed, he wanted them to win.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    8 year old girl among the dead, apparently
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyan said:

The same Diane Abbott who wanted to abolish the security services.
    Even if she didn't, her chancellor wouldn't give her any money for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/19/john-mcdonnell-mi5-letter-signature-denied-_n_8601684.html
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Cyan said:

And that contradicts what I said about May's statement outside Number Ten how, exactly?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

8-year-old confirmed dead after Manchester attack at Ariana Grande concert
    https://t.co/1x0W7HstMZ
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

It's likely to encourage moderates to abstain rather than support him, and it's likely to encourage don't knows back to the government.

JackW was absolutely right earlier today. There is no escape for Labour from the back catalogue of their main faces.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Tragic :(
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,898
    Scott_P said:
    Theres an obvious way that cartoon could be a lot braver
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

Isn't it the case that most voters aren't aware of Corbyn's links to the IRA/Hamas?

I'm sure there was some recent polling on this.

The public are aware of the stories, but they don't believe them. In the door-knocking I've been doing, even people who think Corbyn as PM would be farcically incompent, also think the media makes stuff up about him (the tale of him "dancing a jig" at Remembrance Day has been cited as an example a few times).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The political outlook of Corbyn supporters means that them entertaining Hopkins world view is incredibly unlikely. This is borne out on Twitter, and many other documented observations of their views. In previous incidents, most have taken a view that is more along the lines of being critical of Western foreign policy - that is part of a larger, 'anti-Imperialist/anti-Western' outlook.
    In my experience, there is a subset of young lefties which is beginning to dislike and mistrust Islam or Islamism. They're still hugely critical of western foreign policy, but they abhor (in private, for now) the misogyny and violence of radical Islam.

It was inevitable, in the end. The cognitive dissonance required to be feminist and leftwing and yet supportive and protective of conservative Islam is too painful to last forever.
    Hmmm. I'm someone who

(a. Hates the misogyny and violence of radical Islam
    (b. Dislikes Conservative aspects of any religion

I'd wager most young people think this way. Yet I'm not on board with a general negative view of all Muslims, and in my own experience most of the Muslims I know also hate the misogyny and violence of radical Islam. I wouldn't equate hating radical Islamism with a Katie Hopkins view of the world.
  • Options
    WireWire Posts: 7

Wire said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome to PB @Wire

A sign of the times.

Hi Peter

Hi Philip

Sorry, but I really don't know who Peter is or where he is from, and why should I? I come on here for political comment not personality and geography. I just made my comment on a subject that is very sensitive to me. Wish I hadn't bothered quite frankly but feel I now must defend myself
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

In my experience, there is a subset of young lefties which is beginning to dislike and mistrust Islam or Islamism. They're still hugely critical of western foreign policy, but they abhor (in private, for now) the misogyny and violence of radical Islam.

It was inevitable, in the end. The cognitive dissonance required to be feminist and leftwing and yet supportive and protective of conservative Islam is too painful to last forever.
    Harmanism and an equalities agenda are totally incompatible with ultra conservative religion.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Scott_P said:

Too horrendous for words. Anyone who's been a father to a daughter know that they are the most precious thing on earth
  • Options
    Wire said:

Didn't realise I needed credentials to post here. Why the hell should I bother where you are or who you are? Does your opinion count more than mine? do you have a second preferential opinion or is it FPTP? As others have alluded to, Manchester and the North West is very subdued today. The relevance of Warrington is because that is where I am now, born and bred. I had kids in that town centre, that morning. Do you have any concept of what that is like? No mobiles, no social media, just silence until they walked through the door. Forgive me if I am upsetting your sensibilities on pointing out the well documented attitude of Jeremy Corbyn on the subject of terrorism. Please let me know when you feel it would be suitable to express my opinion on this subject and I will duly ignore you. Thanks

Lots of questions, Wire! I'll try to answer the more relevant ones.

No, of course everybody is free to post, subject to the Will Of Mike.

No reason why you should bother with me, but you did say you'd been a lurker for many years.

Strangely, I don't think all opinions are equal.

As you may know from your years of lurking, it would be very surprising if I were not familiar with the kind of anxieties about loved ones to which you fere. I was working in the City, ffs, when the July bombs went off.

I have no special sensibilities as regards Corbyn, which again you might know already from all your lurking.

Were the remarks in your first post 'opinions'? I called them insidious. Nothing you have posted since causes me to change my mind.
  • Options
    Block quotes are getting all buggered up today.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Partly on topic - My postal vote arrived this lunchtime and has been returned.

Sadly the monster raving looney party wasn't an option - it would have been my second choice...
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

Where Jeremy Corbyn does deserve praise is at least he has said that he would not let loose these obscene weapons. As soon as Theresa May became PM she said hell yeah, she'd be blood-dripping-from-fangs willing to let them loose (i.e. nuke whole cities out of existence), so it can't be denied that there's a difference in attitudes between the parties here.

This argument was comprehensively lost in the 1980s. Nothing bespeaks the backwardness of Corbyn's views better than the fact that he's prepared to pay billions for something while rehashing 1980s Soviet-infiltrated guff about how it would be immoral to use it, so he never will.

The whole utility of nukes, such as it is, is that an attacker must be forced to consider that you might actually use them. If you tell him in advance you won't, why do you have them?

Considering Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, or Cameron, if any of them looked you in the eye and said I would press the button on you would anyone dare disbelieve them?

Even if Corbyn said he would, nobody would believe him. Has there ever been a conflict in which he did not side with our enemies?

If Corbyn had been around in 1940, he would unquestionably have looked up at the sky and cheered every time a Spitfire was shot down. In 1940 Nazi Germany was allied with the USSR, so to him they were the good guys, Britain was as always the enemy while the Spitfire pilot was a public-school educated class enemy to boot.

Orwell's schtick about 'Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia' was based on the mental gymnastics required of English communists between 1933 and 1945.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr 565,

"an act specifically targeting young kids might now give people out there second thoughts about getting involved in this evil ideology."

Possibly. What will definitely discourage the thrill-seekers is to see their dreams of conquest being rolled back and their hopes of unlimited sex with captive women ended. It won't deter the really committed who long for death, but nothing will. We're already seeing some of the less-committed deciding that coming home to the decadent West or even the decadent Muslim states is preferable to being incinerated by a drone.

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

It was a forgone conclusion anyway.I do not believe anyone rally thought he would be PM.What are you really saying that he encourages terrorism ? He always comes across as a pacifist to me .
    No, he expects us all to believe he expedited the NI peace process, when in reality he gave succour to one side, and one side only. That is not a peace broker, nor is it the actions of a pacifist.

This goes to the heart of what Corbyn is - a two headed snake. One head preaches domestic pacifism, the other anti British sentiment - including Irish Republican terrorism. There is no hiding place for Mr Corbyn any more on this matter - he cannot unsay what he said, and he cannot undo what he did.

He was an IRA sympathiser, and therefore a terrorist sympathiser, and therefore he was relaxed about their campaign of murder - including women and children. It's why his words were so hard to stomach this morning. The very people he unashamedly - and unequivocally supported - killed women and children.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

I would imagine that the Tories have game-planned the optimum damaging time to go big on Corbyn's terrorist sympathies for ages. I'd guess they were planning the final two weeks or so of the campaign. Last night's horror story merely brings that time to now. Corbyn, McMao and Abbot all have horrific previous on the issue of terrorist apologia. This needs to be broadcast loud and clear for all to hear.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Jason said:

Yorkcity said:

Jason said:

But even less so now.

Thoughts, anyone?

No, he expects us all to believe he expedited the NI peace process, when in reality he gave succour to one side, and one side only. That is not a peace broker, nor is it the actions of a pacifist.

This goes to the heart of what Corbyn is - a two headed snake. One head preaches domestic pacifism, the other anti British sentiment - including Irish Republican terrorism. There is no hiding place for Mr Corbyn any more on this matter - he cannot unsay what he said, and he cannot undo what he did.

He was an IRA sympathiser, and therefore a terrorist sympathiser, and therefore he was relaxed about their campaign of murder - including women and children. It's why his words were so hard to stomach this morning. The very people he unashamedly - and unequivocally supported - killed women and children.
    The public don't know, and if the political truce lasts until the weekend there's precious little time to make them aware.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Hmmm. I'm someone who

(a. Hates the misogyny and violence of radical Islam
    (b. Dislikes Conservative aspects of any religion

I'd wager most young people think this way. Yet I'm not on board with a general negative view of all Muslims, and in my own experience most of the Muslims I know also hate the misogyny and violence of radical Islam. I wouldn't equate hating radical Islamism with a Katie Hopkins view of the world.
    There is a difference between being more vigorous about the positive aspects of our society - including freedom of speech, defending our equality laws, promoting democracy and opposing violence - and measures that "clamp down" (as a previous post put it) on Islam, but will achieve nothing in terms of security and simply create new grievances - such as banning face veils.

I also share the concerns being expressed about faith schools, but most of those are Christian; there is currently only a handful of muslim schools.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Wire said:

Wire said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome to PB @Wire

A sign of the times.

Hi Peter

Hi Philip

Sorry, but I really don't know who Peter is or where he is from, and why should I? I come on here for political comment not personality and geography. I just made my comment on a subject that is very sensitive to me. Wish I hadn't bothered quite frankly but feel I now must defend myself

Thank you for bothering to post. People do tend to jump to conclusions. I've written short posts on PB, to make a brief point, then found someone completely misinterpreting them.

Just put in a brief clarification (if you want to) and carry on.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2017
    I have a feeling have "strong and steady" catchphrase will be back on the rotation of every speech here on in.
This discussion has been closed.