Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking

Comments

• RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Can I please crave some understanding from PB-ers

I've been banned from Twitter by my girlfriend. She's a fierce 21 year old Corbynista, and she hates my right wing views, even as we have lots of fun. She's told me she can't continue to go out with me, if I publicly air my vile, Thatcherite opinions, and, like the French at Dien Bien Phu, I have folded pathetically, and agreed. Because she is absurdly beautiful and sexy, and I am a sad pussywhipped middle aged man in a swoon. Oh god. And she will probably dump me in a week, anyway.

So I am afraid I might be overly vocal on here, for a while, until I find somewhere else to go. Or she chucks me.

Phew. Sorry. Had to share that. Apols.

You are rewarding unreasonable behaviour. Have some self-respect and let her go!
    Man, you should see her. Stunning. One of those girls that silences a bar when she walks in. All male faces turn.

I am hapless. Pinioned. Skewered by my own libido. Also she is very funny and very smart, she might be Corbynite but she can think for herself. Her leftwing parents hate me.
    There are some advantages to being gay; immunity to pretty girls taking advantage of your baser instincts is one!

They're the Borg, but I'm Species 8472.

• surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

SeanT said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

I share what @TudorRose wrote on the previous thread about how to tackle Corbyn.

Perhaps some comments from Labour types might help.........................

But surely Conservatives are going to have to be very, very careful here - because if they now attack Corbyn over IRA etc it may well appear highly inappropriate after what has happened - they may well be accused of exploiting the situation. Which could be a huge negative for them.

So it may well now be much harder for Con to finish the campaign with attacks on Corbyn along these lines.

Having said that, what has happened has obviously massively elevated the issue of security which has to be a strong point for Con.
    That is a risk they may not want to take, true, although I think given that Corbyn has been forced to 'clarify' his views on such things twice already it's quite possible it will come up of its own accord.

However that could conceivably be bad news for Corbyn, for it then begs the question of whether they might go for a different line of attack - his record in this highly unsavoury case, which to put it mildly is underwhelming and is back in the news in the last fortnight:

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/politics/islington-kids-homes-scandal-shame-of-ex-mayor-sandy-marks-pro-paedophile-past-1-5012565
    I think any party would be foolish to campaign on terrorism now. It risks looking ghoulish.

The media might do it for them, mind.
    Same thought occurred to me today. Manchester, paradoxically, makes it HARDER for the Tories to go at Corbyn over terrorism. It's so saddening and horrible, any electoral reference to terror, however oblique or tangential, could backfire badly.

Presumably - as you say - the media will feel less restraint. As they jolly well should. Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell are outright appeasers of terror, if not actual traitors.
    I expect the newspapers to hold nothing back in their attacks on Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott from the end of the week, and then to continue through the weekend, and beyond.

This election will now be run on the narrative 'who do you want to negotiate Brexit and who do you trust over National security'

May or Corbyn
    "This election will now be run on the narrative 'who do you want to negotiate Brexit and who do you trust over National security"

This may not be the appropriate time to discuss this but since you raised the question, it happened on her watch !

Though I should make it clear, I do not hold her or the government or the security agencies remotely responsible. Something like this can happen any time in any place.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    bobajobPB said:

For crying out loud. I am on here dissing the boring, entitled, anti-meritocratic monarchy as "Britain's richest welfare recipients", from time to time. I guess you want to strap on the jack boots Rob and march me to the scaffold (at the Tower, naturally) ?

That's fine, but Abbott is in the record wishing for the defeat of the British, and victory for the IRA.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.
    lol. I'd suggest our bond with the Americans is much deeper than with Europe.
    You think? I feel more at home in Paris than I do in New York.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

The PB Tories, and Sean, and - bizarrely - Cyclefree seem to have take leave of their senses today.

Corbyn is shite. He is a deluded old trot. But he has sod all to do with Manchester. Linking him with it because of the pro-IRA comments he has made in the distant past is utterly stupid, either from the media, or the Tory party itself.

May is going to win big anyway. Don't worry.

I agree with you about the IRA comments. It is not edifying doing that today. I disagree with you that May is going to win big anyway. Harold Wilson used to say a week is a long time in politics. Two and half weeks is an eternity. Nothing in life is guaranteed and its time some of the fools in the media who think making the GE competitive realise this. Corbyn and his followers are extremists, the platform, policies and history must be exposed but that should wait a few hours or days. Today is about the poor children who were murdered in Manchester. I nearly went to Manchester yesterday to have a few drinks in a pub near the magnificent town hall ( I cannot remember the name of the pub but it is a cheap chain pub!) Anyway, I had other things to do but I could of stumbled in the path of the animal who committed yesterdays atrocities. I was lucky but it just goes to show nothing in life can be predicted or is certain. I think in politics we have had are fingers burned a few too many times in the last 18 months.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Since the fiasco over the Tory manifesto and subsequent non-U-turn U-turn, coming on the back of a successful Labour manifesto launch, all they have left is to shout "IRA IRA IRA" from now to election day.

Why not try telling us all why a Conservative government would be a Good Thing? Perhaps citing some of the party's wonderful policy ideas?

I expect better from friends of Pinochet and apartheid apologists.
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

I've been banned from Twitter by my girlfriend. She's a fierce 21 year old Corbynista, and she hates my right wing views, even as we have lots of fun. She's told me she can't continue to go out with me, if I publicly air my vile, Thatcherite opinions, and, like the French at Dien Bien Phu, I have folded pathetically, and agreed. Because she is absurdly beautiful and sexy, and I am a sad pussywhipped middle aged man in a swoon. Oh god. And she will probably dump me in a week, anyway.

So I am afraid I might be overly vocal on here, for a while, until I find somewhere else to go. Or she chucks me.

You are rewarding unreasonable behaviour. Have some self-respect and let her go!
    Man, you should see her. Stunning. One of those girls that silences a bar when she walks in. All male faces turn.

I am hapless. Pinioned. Skewered by my own libido. Also she is very funny and very smart, she might be Corbynite but she can think for herself. Her leftwing parents hate me.
    There are some advantages to being gay; immunity to pretty girls taking advantage of your baser instincts is one!

They're the Borg, but I'm Species 8472.

Presumably you suffer from similar weaknesses to Leftie pretty boys however?
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

You met her parents ! You're in an extremely dangerous situation, this young woman has set her sights on your swelling assets.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

For crying out loud. I am on here dissing the boring, entitled, anti-meritocratic monarchy as "Britain's richest welfare recipients", from time to time. I guess you want to strap on the jack boots Rob and march me to the scaffold (at the Tower, naturally) ?

That's fine, but Abbott is in the record wishing for the defeat of the British, and victory for the IRA.
    FFS Does anyone take Abbott seriously? She's significantly out of her depth. Can't stand that woman!

Since the fiasco over the Tory manifesto and subsequent non-U-turn U-turn, coming on the back of a successful Labour manifesto launch, all they have left is to shout "IRA IRA IRA" from now to election day.

Why not try telling us all why a Conservative government would be a Good Thing? Perhaps citing some of the party's wonderful policy ideas?

+1
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

You met her parents ! You're in an extremely dangerous situation, this young woman has set her sights on your swelling assets.
    No no no no. We met online. We will never meet in reality.

NEVER. NEVER!!!

*adopts Paisleyite accent*
    Six weeks max until a visit to Hatton Garden....

Indeed. Very well put.
  • roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    People probably overestimate the impact of tragic events. Although we are more affected than our politician's defiant rhetoric pretends by these events, we still weather disaster and carry on broadly speaker where we were. Certainly we disdain those who too boldly claim otherwise, either way, and so I suspect it is impossible to measure and not worth the effort.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Was that because they're younger than you?
    Certainly a factor. And who can blame them.
    Well, if it is to be burn and die, enjoy the combustion while it lasts!

The only Tory policy I am aware of is the Dementia Tax. I - quite honestly - have no idea about a single other policy they have. None. Zero. I suspect I am not unusual, in this regard.
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

I share what @TudorRose wrote on the previous thread about how to tackle Corbyn.

But surely Conservatives are going to have to be very, very careful here - because if they now attack Corbyn over IRA etc it may well appear highly inappropriate after what has happened - they may well be accused of exploiting the situation. Which could be a huge negative for them.

So it may well now be much harder for Con to finish the campaign with attacks on Corbyn along these lines.

Having said that, what has happened has obviously massively elevated the issue of security which has to be a strong point for Con.
    Zac Goldsmith's attack on Sadiq Khan linking him with terrorism is a cautionary tale. It cost Zac his 23,000 majority and his reputation.
    Not sure it's quite on the same scale as Corbyn.
    You're right. It isn't. But it illustrates the danger in that line of attack.

I hope Andrew Neil questions him closely on this. I suspect Corbyn will enhance his reputation. We'll see. The more he is seen as he is and not through hostile newspapers and commentators, the better he will do.
    Andrew Neil will ask some pointed questions, as he should. But if he is hostile, it might actually help Corbyn.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.

Who do you propose?
    bobajobPB said:

The only Tory policy I am aware of is the Dementia Tax. I - quite honestly - have no idea about a single other policy they have. None. Zero. I suspect I am not unusual, in this regard.
    They have another policy: they are NOT Labour, NOT Corbyn.
    edited May 2017

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

Zac Goldsmith's attack on Sadiq Khan linking him with terrorism is a cautionary tale. It cost Zac his 23,000 majority and his reputation.

I hope Andrew Neil questions him closely on this. I suspect Corbyn will enhance his reputation. We'll see. The more he is seen as he is and not through hostile newspapers and commentators, the better he will do.
    Andrew Neil will ask some pointed questions, as he should. But if he is hostile, it might actually help Corbyn.
    But of course, ardent defenders will claim pointed questions are naked hostility, and ardent opponents lack of hostility weakness.

As long as Corbyn keeps his cool, as he has lately, then he should emerge mostly unscathed, as he's very used to pointed or even hostile questions, and even if he waffles, which will provide political ammunition, he'll avoid disaster.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Man up, dump her and start thinking with your brain and not your with baby making equipment. If you cannot be yourself in a relationship, you shouldn't be in that relationship.
    I can be myself. I give her the full force of my opinions. I don't hold back. We have great, impassioned arguments.

I just can't be myself online because then it freaks out her leftwing parents too much, and they already despise me for being more than twice her age, a rightwinger, an ex drug addict, a confessed whoremonger, a once-accused rapist, etc etc. Weirdly, I see their point. If I was in the same place as them, I'd hate me.

Hey ho. She is bloody sexy. And the whole liaison will probably burn and die, as these explosive things are wont
    Then do what every other person on twitter does and develop a fake twitter handle.

Why don't you send her Donald Trumps book "the art of the deal" - you might go down in history as the person who influenced her capacity to negotiate.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    eek said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

No no no no. We met online. We will never meet in reality.

NEVER. NEVER!!!

*adopts Paisleyite accent*
    Six weeks max until a visit to Hatton Garden....
    Take her to The Mitre. Great beer, lovely sandwiches.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: PM to make statement to country from Downing Street imminently - watch live on @skynews
    I have been watching News 24. It has now become very repetitive. They are running out of things to say.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Man up, dump her and start thinking with your brain and not your with baby making equipment. If you cannot be yourself in a relationship, you shouldn't be in that relationship.
    I can be myself. I give her the full force of my opinions. I don't hold back. We have great, impassioned arguments.

I just can't be myself online because then it freaks out her leftwing parents too much, and they already despise me for being more than twice her age, a rightwinger, an ex drug addict, a confessed whoremonger, a once-accused rapist, etc etc. Weirdly, I see their point. If I was in the same place as them, I'd hate me.

Hey ho. She is bloody sexy. And the whole liaison will probably burn and die, as these explosive things are wont
    Then do what every other person on twitter does and develop a fake twitter handle.
    Multiple screen naming?? He will kiss his life goodbye, endlessly justifying his actions. It's a life sentence, take it from me.
    surbiton said:

I have been watching News 24. It has now become very repetitive. They are running out of things to say.

Statement due imminently.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/politics/islington-kids-homes-scandal-shame-of-ex-mayor-sandy-marks-pro-paedophile-past-1-5012565
    I think any party would be foolish to campaign on terrorism now. It risks looking ghoulish.

The media might do it for them, mind.
    Same thought occurred to me today. Manchester, paradoxically, makes it HARDER for the Tories to go at Corbyn over terrorism. It's so saddening and horrible, any electoral reference to terror, however oblique or tangential, could backfire badly.

Presumably - as you say - the media will feel less restraint. As they jolly well should. Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell are outright appeasers of terror, if not actual traitors.
    What makes you think that they are not traitors? Really not sure I see it myself.
    To be accused of treachery is not the worst thing in the world - indeed if one's own country is in the hands of people guided by pure evil it rather becomes a badge of honour to be worn with pride. People such as Von Stauffenberg and Sophie Scholl of the White Rose Society were 'traitors' but , at the same time, emerged as exceptionally brave and decent human beings.
    I have never found myself in a position where I faced such torments or conflicts of loyalties, but I have always expressed my regret that the UK/US invasion of Iraq was not defeated - on the grounds that our armed forces were being used as instruments of evil in an unprovoked act of aggression. The real traitors were the politicians who dragged our country through such mud.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.
    :+1:
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Have they read your book?
    murali_s said:

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    Word is she won't serve a full term, gone by 2020.

So they say.
    bobajobPB said:

:+1:
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Was that because they're younger than you?
    Certainly a factor. And who can blame them.
    Well, if it is to be burn and die, enjoy the combustion while it lasts!
    Is that humblebragging from SeanT? I am used to the bragging, but this feels .... somehow strange.
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: PM to make statement to country from Downing Street imminently - watch live on @skynews

It tells me she might take the high road - not quite what Cyclefree et al are suggesting.
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

It tells me she might take the high road - not quite what Cyclefree et al are suggesting.
    Given the campaign is suspended that wouldn't be surprising.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

A midlife crisis in one paragraph. – dump the trollop, where’s your self-respect?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

It is the media that Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott will be questioned by
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

But of course, ardent defenders will claim pointed questions are naked hostility, and ardent opponents lack of hostility weakness.
    Andrew Neil is a very good interviewer, his deconstruction of all politicians is equal in performance whoever the victim/subject of the interrogation happens to be.
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Indeed - as Thomas proves above. That he is voting Tory shows just how FUBAR the Corbynites have rendered this once great party of state.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I feel more at home in Sydney, than either.

New York, any day of the week. But then I probably feel more at home there than London these days. My last prolonged visit, in 2012, was the first time I have felt that I am a foreigner in my own country. Probably the lot of all long-term emigres.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The only question is when does SeanT buy the penis extension massively over priced sports car or motorbike...
    Here is Kim Jong May....
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    On/off topic. The 9/11 attack victims were from all over.

http://brilliantmaps.com/9-11-victims/
    May suggesting possible terrorist network in operation....
    Threat level Critical

Armed soldiers on the streets
    Armed military personnel being deployed.
    Scott_P said:

Threat level Critical

Armed soldiers on the streets

Bugger. When was it last critical?
    edited May 2017
    Deleted - got the names of the posters mixed up
    bobajobPB said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Indeed - as Thomas proves above. That he is voting Tory shows just how FUBAR the Corbynites have rendered this once great party of state.
    The utter uselessness of the LDs (my initial preferred choice) has also proved a factor. In my seat (Ealing Central & Acton) the LD candidate is the one already twice rejected by the voters, and having last year been prosecuted for failing to pay his council tax, the LDs somehow seem to think it'll be third time lucky.
    I thought it had to be super serious that May was giving a second statement in a single day.
  • Army on the streets. What more is there to say.
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    Tezza calls in the army....
    edited May 2017
    Has to be intel...May talking about operating network and we have had previous attacks (albeit not as big as this for 15 years) and not had the military deployed.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

All two of them?
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Gosh. State of emergency effectively.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Is she having a break-down ?
    First bomb in many a year, which is complicated to pull off, situation was already at severe, makes sense the threat level would be raised.
    edited May 2017
    5...4...3...2...1....Some Maomentum tweets that it is all a ploy by May to snatch the election by scaring the public.
    SeanT said:

Who remembers the Dementia Tax? What was that again?

You are losing your marbles.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    SeanT said:

Corbyn is fucked. We're in a State of Emergency.

Tory majority 150

Really?? Who has got us into this state over the past 7 years as HS and PM? 100+ only.

Why would you assume that? A bomb plot is a lot harder to pull off without help, and the threat level was already severe, even without seeing the evidence the intelligence and security services will have found today, not ruling out others potentially involved seems perfectly plausible, nay, sensible in the circumstances.
  • SeanT said:

Tory majority 150

We rarely agree, Sean, but the daft old Trot has had it this time.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

All two of them?
    That response is just so unbelievable in view of the serious threat to our Country
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nielh said:

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Labour need to get smashed utterly - the poisonous scum that infect the upper reaches need to lose badly.

Then you can rebuild, after you kick out the hard left and anti semites.

5...4...3...2...1....Some Maomentum tweets that it is all a ploy by May to snatch the election by scaring the public.

Wonder if May will paraphrase Palptine ... "the remaining terrorists will be hunted down and defeated!"

And others play into that by acting as though a Tory majority of 150+ is now inevitable as a result of this, as though the British public won't, even at such a time, reflect at least a little on the wider issues (even accepting security is always an issue).
    RoyalBlue said:

Gosh. State of emergency effectively.

'Effectively'? Hyperbole? It happened in 2007. You are making a drama from a crisis.
    SeanT said:

Tory majority 150

mhhh - that sounds like Tony Blair and tanks at Heathrow.

It is unfortunate that the PM ended her statement with the words "We will prevail"

She's right, and we will, but the cynical will notice that is the tagline of the Totalitarian "Conservative" government in V for Vendetta
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2017
    Nail the buggers.
    Remember Glasgow for instance.
    John Smeaton isn't unique.
    I can't say how I'd react. Would I see the red mist? dunno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Glasgow_Airport_attack#John_Smeaton
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    kle4 said:

First bomb in many a year, which is complicated to pull off, situation was already at severe, makes sense the threat level would be raised.

This is the main bit - if the bomb was well made its likely it wasn't built by the bomber... And that means there are more people around....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,601
    dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Tory majority 150

Really?? Who has got us into this state over the past 7 years as HS and PM? 100+ only.
    And what should be done that isn't currently being done? Wholesale detention without trial?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    murali_s said:

No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her

If you remember when intelligence first knew about the liquid explosive [ hence all those restrictions at airports ], armoured carriers and soldiers were deployed at key places.

Later, it emerged that the government did not actually have any specific intelligence but it was used to frighten off any possible threat.
    Thomas

My old seat. Rupa Haq is a good MP, no chance Corbyn wins so you can safely vote for her
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Must have found specific evidence. Feels surreal..

May has handled this well so well. Does seem vaguely competent. Couldn't imagine Corbyn in that position at all
    nielh said:

Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her
    After 2015, with Brexit a spectre expected to be defeated, people thought Cameron could rule as long as he wanted to. Our politics is pretty good at limiting even excellent politicians.
  • SeanT said:

Events dear boy events.
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I'm trolling you, you disgusting leftwing traitors.

You need to be on the side of Brexit, and the new State of Emergency, and accept, with gladness, that we are now a country shrouded under the icy, tinkling, brilliant rule of Theresa, the Narnian Queen, with her Turkish Delight of Control Taken Back.

There will never again be leftwing government. Scum like you will be turned to STONE.
    She will be very comfortable with Erdogan. She is , I hate to say this, loving this.
    bobajobPB said:

Thomas

My old seat. Rupa Haq is a good MP, no chance Corbyn wins so you can safely vote for her

I quite like her, but she nominated Corbyn, so sorry, No.
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I'm trolling you, you disgusting leftwing traitors.

You need to be on the side of Brexit, and the new State of Emergency, and accept, with gladness, that we are now a country shrouded under the icy, tinkling, brilliant rule of Theresa, the Narnian Queen, with her Turkish Delight of Control Taken Back.

There will never again be leftwing government. Scum like you will be turned to STONE.
    Boozy rant! That's what it is! Does your lovely gf read pb?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

7/7 had a follow up two weeks later.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    kle4 said:

And others play into that by acting as though a Tory majority of 150+ is now inevitable as a result of this, as though the British public won't, even at such a time, reflect at least a little on the wider issues (even accepting security is always an issue).
    To be fair, it's only a few days since the polls were pointing to that very outcome, or an even greater majority.
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

There will never again be leftwing government.
    Ah, but you're wrong - I recall many a right winger lamenting that with May we have a left wing government, after the manifesto launch.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Wow, so critical means an attack could be underway or imminent? Wider cell involved and possible military deployed on the streets? Bloody Hell!
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I feel more at home in Sydney, than either.

New York, any day of the week. But then I probably feel more at home there than London these days. My last prolonged visit, in 2012, was the first time I have felt that I am a foreigner in my own country. Probably the lot of all long-term emigres.
    New York is one of the most overrated cities on Earth. London is far more varied, in architecture, in culture. And it's cleaner, and much greener. NY is fun. But compared to London? No contest.
    Campaigning cancelled tomorrow by Tories and SNP
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Without wishing to be unduly cynical, are we in a state of emergency because of credible intelligence, or because TMay wants to be seen to be doing something?

On a similarly related note, in the next week I'm going to two playoff finals, a theme park and a music performance. I do really have a knack for timing, don't I?

Of course there is a support network.

Tomorrow morning I am flying to Germany and returning in the evening. The last thing I
    is more security checks. But I suppose we will have to live with this for some weeks.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Why not try telling us all why a Conservative government would be a Good Thing?

Because the alternative is Labour.

Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott.

Three people you couldn't trust to organise a cock up in a brothel.

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

I assume it will be the same setup as with May. Two chairs. No videos. A slower pace for a mainstream audience. Searching questions, giving Corbyn plenty of time to reply.

I think Corbyn will cope well with the questions on policy, costings, and on terrorism.
    I think he will struggle defending Abbott. Also his views on Trident might be problematic.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    bobajobPB said:

Thomas

My old seat too. Where I voted tactically for that bloody LibDem in 2010. That went well.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Isn't that what @isam calls "humblebragging"?

kle4 said:

To be fair, it's only a few days since the polls were pointing to that very outcome, or an even greater majority.
    Another factor to consider - because Labour were improving I kept forgetting how big a Tory majority was implied as possible.

Like the tragedy of Jo Cox, the impact from this situation is, I imagine, indiscernible, but people will, depending on the outcome, presume it has had a significant effect, when it may merely have had an effect.

All two of them?
    oh do fuck off
This discussion has been closed.