Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking the chain. Can the Lib Dems defy history?

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,095
    HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

It's looking as though Emmanuel Macron is going to get his majority in the French assembly:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/07/french-parliamentary-election-emmanuel-macron-first-round-la-republique-en-marche

If so, it will be an amazing achievement for a new party and a politician with zero electoral experience until he ran for President.

Of course we were assured many times on here that he would be a lame duck president and there would be no way on earth that a new party would command a majority in the Elysee. Another prediction victory for the PB Le Pennite clever-clogs.
    I'm still waiting for the EU to collapse as that was apparently the reason why we should leave.
    The EU has pulled together after Brexit which is apparently a reason why it's a club we don't want to be part of.
    surely its a club they dont want us to be part of ?

for all your woolly sentiment the lack of movement on the EU side to re-engage with UK and find an accommodation is the most noticeable event of the last year

had it been France they would be falling over themselves to keep her on board

all animals are equal but some are more equal than others
    The big test for the EU now will be Beppe Grillo in Italy next year
    All these supposed big tests, refugees, Brexit, Wilders, Le Pen, AFD.
    The phrase passing with flying colours springs to mind.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Cicero said:

Interesting looking at the Lib Dem possibilities including a few not mentioned. They clearly have chances in Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, OxWAB, Kingston, Twickenham, Southwark, Colchester, East Dumbarton, Edinburgh West, Fife NE, Argyllshire and possibly Caithness. So if their vote is concentrating, then they certainly could come out in the high teens rather than the low single figures.

I think the awful council performance for the yellows in E Dumb has muddied the tactical waters for Jo too much.
    In East Dunbsrton the Lib Dems gained 2 council seats , how was that awful ?
    1st pref counts. Murky tactical situation.
    worse 1st pref counts last time and just as murky tactical situation last time .
    Yes, but she held the seat last time round. That's what will save Ian Murray.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

Ms. Forethought, a soft left party emerging from Labour could do incredibly well.

If Corbyn loses but sticks around, will the PLP split? We may find out.

It rather depends on how many sensible people lose their seats and how many silly people are elected for the first time. With the Labour Party it's hard to predict these days.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Anyone who bothers to tune into Facebook Live to watch Corbyn is already voting Labour...
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Flicked over to Sky News before Daily Politics started and Corbyn was doing a rally at a place with a massive Lab majority. I don't get it...

Clearly Labour know they have lost the election and are trying to mitigate the damage...
    I'm going to keep repeating this.

He was in weaver vale. Stop lying to create a narrative
    Pot. Kettle.
    Jeremy corbyn is campaigning in weaver vale and Aberconwy this afternoon (Tory seat)

Poster after poster saying he's in safe seats is so please not true.

Corbyn has visited more Tory seats than labour held seats since the campaign starts.
    He was in Gateshead on Monday, held a big rally in Hull mid campaign and finishes off in Islington tomorrow, May is only going to marginals
    Fact
    Corbyn has gone to more Tory seats than labour since the campaign started.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Jonathan said:

ThornburyThornberry has had a good campaign. Has earned a shout at the top job IMO.

Yes, she has been the best media performer of all the Labour front-bench, she's feisty and hits out quite effectively, she's not tainted with being identified with the sane wing of the party, whilst at the same time she's not obviously bonkers. So I wouldn't be at all surprised is she's the next Labour leader.

She's a lawyer who has turned career politicians and knows how to stick to her brief. I would not bet that much she is a convinced lefty.

The next Labour leader will not be based in London, IMO.

Thornbury claims she was brought up on a council estate - unlike Corbyn. So a genuine lefty.
    I think she meant a Queens Counsel Estate

you know a big place in Surrey
    is that where she cultivated her hatred of white van man and England Flags?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    edited June 2017

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Flicked over to Sky News before Daily Politics started and Corbyn was doing a rally at a place with a massive Lab majority. I don't get it...

Clearly Labour know they have lost the election and are trying to mitigate the damage...

Pot. Kettle.
    Jeremy corbyn is campaigning in weaver vale and Aberconwy this afternoon (Tory seat)

Corbyn has visited more Tory seats than labour held seats since the campaign starts.
    Visiting Runcorn allowed him to campaign simultaneously in a marginal and a very safe seat.
    Why's he going to colwyn bay?
    Maybe he's going to buy Gordon Brown an ice-cream?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

He was in Gateshead on Monday, held a big rally in Hull mid campaign and finishes off in Islington tomorrow, May is only going to marginals
    Fact
    Because there's more Tory seats than Labour seats? :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

It's looking as though Emmanuel Macron is going to get his majority in the French assembly:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/07/french-parliamentary-election-emmanuel-macron-first-round-la-republique-en-marche

If so, it will be an amazing achievement for a new party and a politician with zero electoral experience until he ran for President.

Of course we were assured many times on here that he would be a lame duck president and there would be no way on earth that a new party would command a majority in the Elysee. Another prediction victory for the PB Le Pennite clever-clogs.

This will cause a meltdown at the Spectator. Very good news for France, though. Lucky them.

Indeed. What price a UK En Marche? Forward!
    If a leftish party emerged in the UK that looked like it might be electorally successful, wouldn't the hard left just penetrate that party as well as / instead of Labour?

Reminds me of an Emerson poem.

They reckon ill who leave me out;
    When me they fly, I am the wings.
    En Marche is basically the equivalent of the LDs in France with some Blairites added on, Corbyn is the equivalent of Melenchon or Hamon
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Visiting Runcorn allowed him to campaign simultaneously in a marginal and a very safe seat.
    Aberconwy is a target AFAIK.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Betfair Tory majority and most seats both coming in further. Put another 500 on the former earlier as couldnot wait for Jack w piece....

Oh dear ....

They'll be tears before bedtime .... :smile:

You should report back that your contacts reckon a hung parliament with Labour as largest party just to see what happens to the betting markets.
    Titter ....

I'm promised the final input by 5pm. So 12 out of 15 returns. One poorly, one on holiday and one refused - Bloody David Cameron !! .. :smiley:
  • Options
    Theresa may has u-turned more times than we've had terrorists attacks in THIS CAMPAIGN.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    By the way, Populus called me (obviuosly randomly) to ask if I'd voted and said they'd call back tomorrow when I had (they had no interest in how I was going to vote if I'd not done so yet), so they've obviously got an exit poll in the works.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

That was the one broadcast to 6 cities simultaneously as well as Facebook live, where it was apparently watched by 1.5 million people. The idea is to show tremendous enthusiasm to a huge social media audience - makes more sense than May's approach of little local gatherings IMO, but we'll see.

Corbyn's final schedule is:
    Glasgow Central, Weaver Vale, Clwyd West, Watford, Harrow East, and the final rally in Islington South.

Meanwhile we're pushing hard in Broxtowe. My final pitch is here:

www.nickpalmer.org.uk

The constituency has more Labour posters and campaigners than I ever saw even in 1997, and the Tories have been busy focusing on what we believe to be a doomed effort to take Gedling and Nottingham South. Does any of this stuff make a difference? Search me, but we can only do our best!
    You might cut Soubry's majority but end up losing Gedling and Nottingham South, we shall see
    Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.
  • Options

Theresa may has u-turned more times than we've had terrorists attacks in THIS CAMPAIGN.

So?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Fact
    Including seats like Harlow and Warwick and Leamington he will never win even on his best polls while half the Labour seats he has visited are not even being targeted by the Tories
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

jonny83 said:

That was the one broadcast to 6 cities simultaneously as well as Facebook live, where it was apparently watched by 1.5 million people. The idea is to show tremendous enthusiasm to a huge social media audience - makes more sense than May's approach of little local gatherings IMO, but we'll see.

Glasgow Central, Weaver Vale, Clwyd West, Watford, Harrow East, and the final rally in Islington South.

www.nickpalmer.org.uk

The constituency has more Labour posters and campaigners than I ever saw even in 1997, and the Tories have been busy focusing on what we believe to be a doomed effort to take Gedling and Nottingham South. Does any of this stuff make a difference? Search me, but we can only do our best!
    No it was in Runcorn this morning
  • Options

At the risk of talking up my own candidate, I don't really see why Tom Elliott is over 2/1 against holding FST. It's true that there are more Nationalist voters in the seat and it is very much a two-horse race. But the SDLP core isn't going to drop any more and there was a higher combined Unionist vote in the Assembly election than the SF vote.

I accept Michelle Gildernew is favourite, but I'd say TE should be no more than 6/4 against.

Just don't ask me for a prediction on South Belfast. I haven't the foggiest notion.

South Belfast must be the most exciting seat in the entire UK.
    It's genuinely fascinating. Without being party-political, almost anyone on the ballot would make a decent MP and I wouldn't be surprised at any of FOUR candidates getting in. Makes tactical voting very, very difficult.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    edited June 2017

Mr. B, alas, I don't speak Italian.

I will be interested to see how Canada goes. Just eyeing the markets now.

The gist of the article...Mercedes - low rake; stiff suspension and relatively long wheelbase does not play well with the softest Pirelli tyres and ails to keep them in their rather narrow thermal window, as it imposes much more variation in mechanical stress on the tyre walls, together with a tendency to understeer, than the softer suspension and shorter wheelbase of the Ferrari.

This is not an entirely novel analysis, by any means, but it is significant that it's confirmed by one of the great motor racing engineers, Enrique Scalabroni.

As far as Canada is concerned, if Mercedes can make the tyres work, they will win. They should certainly find it easier than Monaco, but there are doubts...

(note, I don't speak more than tourist Italian either, but there is google...)
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    edited June 2017
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

My forecast for tomorrow, not sure if the maths stacks up:

Labour 160-180 seats; the Tories 380-410 seats. Corbyn strengthened; May weakened. The real fun begins on 9th June. Batten down the hatches and hold plenty of cash!

I think you will be right tories 46-48%, Labour 30 - 33% , i reckon tories around 390 - 400 seats, labour 170 - 180
    Wishful thinking?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296

At the risk of talking up my own candidate, I don't really see why Tom Elliott is over 2/1 against holding FST. It's true that there are more Nationalist voters in the seat and it is very much a two-horse race. But the SDLP core isn't going to drop any more and there was a higher combined Unionist vote in the Assembly election than the SF vote.

I accept Michelle Gildernew is favourite, but I'd say TE should be no more than 6/4 against.

Just don't ask me for a prediction on South Belfast. I haven't the foggiest notion.

Turnout may even exceed 100%.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Fact
    Big corbyn victory tomorrow then
  • Options

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Traitor to your nation.
  • Options

Good morning fellow Tories and other PBers. A view from North Britain.
    There seems to be a universally held view both on here and among the chattering classes at Westminster, especially among the media that Theresa May has had a terrible campaign and Jeremy Corbyn has had a superb campaign.

Let's face it, if she gets anything like a 100 majority and probably more tomorrow evening and into Friday, she and her backroom team will have in fact played a blinder and it will have shown that as with 2015, the chatterati is in fact completely out of touch with real people on the ground.

Several of us yesterday posted on here that lots of ordinary people, not traditional Tory voters, have expressed admiration and support for Theresa May, in large part because she is not seen as part of the chattering class and Westminster chummy types.

Hmmm - May's ratings have fallen markedly over the course of the election campaign. But, as discussed here many times, crushingly mediocre beats toxically catastrophic every single day of the week.

These falling ratings are, however, provided to us by the same pollsters who can't agree on whether she's 1 or 14 points ahead.

For all we know her ratings haven't fallen. We won't even know tomorrow. We'll only know where they now are, not where they've been.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Probably looking for a retirement bungalow. Why else does anyone go there?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

I'm still waiting for the EU to collapse as that was apparently the reason why we should leave.
    The EU has pulled together after Brexit which is apparently a reason why it's a club we don't want to be part of.
    surely its a club they dont want us to be part of ?

for all your woolly sentiment the lack of movement on the EU side to re-engage with UK and find an accommodation is the most noticeable event of the last year

had it been France they would be falling over themselves to keep her on board

all animals are equal but some are more equal than others
    The big test for the EU now will be Beppe Grillo in Italy next year
    All these supposed big tests, refugees, Brexit, Wilders, Le Pen, AFD.
    The phrase passing with flying colours springs to mind.
    It lost Brexit of course and Grillo leads half the current Italian polls and is more Boris Johnson than Marine Le Pen
  • Options
    Establishment Vs the people.

The trick is to make the people think there established. That's where the traitors come in.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Patrick said:

Dadge said:

Of the outsiders, there's Greening and Patel. I'd much prefer the former since I'm not a Tory. Any reasons why either of them would garner little support? Then possibly also Jesse Norman and Liz Truss. I always forget who Liz is but she seems to be quite a good performer.

I'm don't think any of those names have made much impact, although that might change. Keep an eye on Esther McVey; who will be back in the Commons after tomorrow, and who deserves a senior post.
    The definition of a nasty bitch.
    You competing quite hard for that title Junkie!
    Jesse Norman has been going about it the right way. A lot of people locally don't have a lot of time for him though, given his subservience to the party line. He's clearly very capable of independent thought ... unlike some Tories!!

I find it hard to take Truss seriously. If she was to speak on anything, I'd have a mental image of Have I Got News for You and the clips of her talking about 'new pork markets' ... and other delights.

Rory Stewart? Was set to make a name for himself as a select committe chairman. He was then neutralised - for now - by being made a junior minister.
  • Options

The trick is to make the people think there established. That's where the traitors come in.

What are you going on about?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: Two Tory attack lines that seem to be really cutting through, according to Labour people: the "garden tax" and criticism of Diane Abbott.

I was shocked this morning to see a number of friends on my social accounts who definitely aren't Tories (and thought they would be voting Corbyn) and rarely share political stuff, are sharing a load of stuff about garden tax.
  • Options
    Vote conservative - let the rich have everything and everyone else suffer.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Traitor to your nation.
    Terminal dickhead.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    UPDATE

Apologies, I forgot Plaid!! Slight changes to my predictions below to include PC's predicted 3 seats.

---------------------

Right then, I am prepared for major egg on face but here are my predictions. Based on a general reading of the polling, some campaigning insights and just gut reaction!! Happy to hear your views, all in the spirit of political predictions.

Conservatives - 44% - 379 seats
    Labour - 35% - 197 seats
    Lib Dems - 9% - 10 seats
    UKIP - 4% - 0 seats
    Greens - 3% - 1 seat
    Others 5 % - 18 seats (NI) // 42 seats (SNP) // 3 seats (PC)

Majority of 108 for the Conservatives

Turnout - 69.2%

Labour will gain a boost of positions and votes in the South of England and the big cities but with few seats benefits. This does though position them for future elections.

The Conservatives will make strides in Scotland, Wales, Midlands and North, making them truly a one nation party.

We will see a significant return of two party politics in England/Wales with a big strategic challenge for the Lib Dems, UKIP and Greens.

Scotland will see the Unionist/Nationalist divide institutionalised further.

I will be out at 05:00 hrs for the Dawn Raid in my Labour West Midlands Marginal which we Conservatives are targeting!

Best,

James

• Options
    BTW I have decided to do what is now commonly referred to as a Diane Abbot in regards to attending the Jezza victory party I have been invited to. Lets hope nobody snaps me at a nearby train station.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Dadge said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Labour 160-180 seats; the Tories 380-410 seats. Corbyn strengthened; May weakened. The real fun begins on 9th June. Batten down the hatches and hold plenty of cash!

I think you will be right tories 46-48%, Labour 30 - 33% , i reckon tories around 390 - 400 seats, labour 170 - 180
    Wishful thinking?
    Actually terrorism works for and against May. I'd suggest the "GardenTax" has been more damaging for Lab in the last days of this campaign.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Traitor to your nation.

No... that is me apparently. I have been assured of it many times on PB, especially by SeanT so it must be true.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

South Belfast is the Belfast of "The Fall". Aside from the unfortunate serial killing, the biggest danger is a dalliance with Gillian Anderson.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

It's genuinely fascinating. Without being party-political, almost anyone on the ballot would make a decent MP and I wouldn't be surprised at any of FOUR candidates getting in. Makes tactical voting very, very difficult.
    And also unnecessary?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Traitor to your nation.
    Terminal dickhead.
    Put your country first like I did in 2010.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

of this stuff make a difference? Search me, but we can only do our best!

What's your prediction for the election result, Nick?

And the best of luck with your efforts today.

This reminds me of the Gore and Clinton campaigns. Enormous numbers of people got involved who realised something was very seriously wrong in the country and that a right-wing victory would be disastrous. Let's hope this time we win. A tough goal indeed. But if we don't, horrors await.

Thanks! My best guess (and it's nothing more than that) is a 7-point Tory lead nationally (because that's the rough midpoint of the polls, and allows 1-2 points extra for the Mail/Sun etc.) but with some surprising regional deviation from what would otherwise be an almost identical result to last time. I think we may well take a number of Tory marginals while losing a number of our own. The position in Scotland is especially hard to predict.

I agree with your view of what happens if the Tories get back with added Brexit chaos, and think Labour will then be odds on for 2022, but it would be better for the country if we did it this time.
  • Options
    Brom said:

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

www.nickpalmer.org.uk

You might cut Soubry's majority but end up losing Gedling and Nottingham South, we shall see
    Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.
    Yes I think Gedling will fall, Nottingham South narrow Labour hold
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Vote early, vote often..... :D
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Am I alone in wondering whether Corbyn's large rallies are designed to intimidate the locals to stay away from polling stations? It used to be a standard tactic in Nazi and Communist 'elections' and worked a treat in Tower Hamlets, e.g.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

May is only going to warehouses!
  • Options

Anyone who bothers to tune into Facebook Live to watch Corbyn is already voting Labour...

Or is too young to vote.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    kjohnw said:

No I think swing back is happening, the Corbyn surge is over, the mood has changed with the terror attacks, keeping safe is motivating the voters, and Corbyn and Abbot and Mc Donnell don't inspire voters to feel safe. Fear motivates voters, they are returning to nurse

Sad day if May gets an increased majority because of terrorism. Terrorism that's re-emerged only since she's been PM.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Voters work in warehouses
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    calum said:
    Good stuff from Al Jazeera. D'you know what? We may soon get the Saudi and Qatari dictatorships spilling the beans on each other. Both the Trump and May administrations (if the Tories win the election) may then be in serious trouble.

Or as others have put it:

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,847

Vote conservative - let the rich have everything and everyone else suffer.

That's why I'm campaigning for the Conservatives.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: Two Tory attack lines that seem to be really cutting through, according to Labour people: the "garden tax" and criticism of Diane Abbott.

I was shocked this morning to see a number of friends on my social accounts who definitely aren't Tories (and thought they would be voting Corbyn) and rarely share political stuff, are sharing a load of stuff about garden tax.
    I just mowed the lawn. Should I bother weeding the beds? Is there a tax-efficient way to do this? Could I move it off-shore?
  • Options

I'm talking about traitors who campaign for conservatives trickingvoters who make less than 80k a year that a vote for a conservative will benefit them and their families. It's a lie.

Only the rich benefit under a Tory government people who make 80k plus a year. Nobody else benefits. These people are traitors to the nation.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

DavidL said:

South Belfast is the Belfast of "The Fall". Aside from the unfortunate serial killing, the biggest danger is a dalliance with Gillian Anderson.
    I think I'd take the risk :)

And actually, it's where my Gran is from, too.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Traitor to your nation.
    I agree.

British ice-cream for British Prime Ministers. None of this neapolitan rubbish.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Dadge said:

kjohnw said:

No I think swing back is happening, the Corbyn surge is over, the mood has changed with the terror attacks, keeping safe is motivating the voters, and Corbyn and Abbot and Mc Donnell don't inspire voters to feel safe. Fear motivates voters, they are returning to nurse

Sad day if May gets an increased majority because of terrorism. Terrorism that's re-emerged only since she's been PM.
    amazing.
  • Options
    I see the astroturfers are out in force again today.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Wishful thinking?
    My sources tell me Labour phone banking is NOT going well, lots of supposedly solid Labour voters are not certain to be Labour voters tomorrow.

I think we're looking at a landslide, no matter what certain polling companies are saying.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296

Cyan said:

of this stuff make a difference? Search me, but we can only do our best!

What's your prediction for the election result, Nick?

And the best of luck with your efforts today.

This reminds me of the Gore and Clinton campaigns. Enormous numbers of people got involved who realised something was very seriously wrong in the country and that a right-wing victory would be disastrous. Let's hope this time we win. A tough goal indeed. But if we don't, horrors await.
    Thanks! My best guess (and it's nothing more than that) is a 7-point Tory lead nationally (because that's the rough midpoint of the polls, and allows 1-2 points extra for the Mail/Sun etc.) but with some surprising regional deviation from what would otherwise be an almost identical result to last time. I think we may well take a number of Tory marginals while losing a number of our own. The position in Scotland is especially hard to predict.

I agree with your view of what happens if the Tories get back with added Brexit chaos, and think Labour will then be odds on for 2022, but it would be better for the country if we did it this time.

That is not the IFS view today and published by George Osborne in the Evening Standard
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Pot. Kettle.

Voters work in warehouses
    Voters also walk down the high street. No sign of Tezzie there.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

I'm talking about traitors who campaign for conservatives trickingvoters who make less than 80k a year that a vote for a conservative will benefit them and their families. It's a lie.

Only the rich benefit under a Tory government people who make 80k plus a year. Nobody else benefits. These people are traitors to the nation.
    That message should go down well in London
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

You've obviously not watched the series. A dalliance with Gillian Anderson does not usually result in a long happy life for the dallier.
  • Options

Is that bad?

If Corbyn had a policy of scuttling all our Trident subs and then U-turned, would that be bad?
  • Options

I don't think that's quite true. Most people in this country earn less than 80k and quite a few of them, maybe even a majority, believe the country is better served by a Conservative government at the moment rather than one lead by Jeremy Corbyn...

Labour does not have a monopoly on morality.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. B, cheers, I knew about the wheelbase but not the other stuff.

A technical chap I know slightly on Twitter reckoned it might go Ferrari's way. Very close. Rather good.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Do I hear 'personal allowance'.
  • Options

I see the astroturfers are out in force again today.

Quite. They'll be predicting a 200 seat Tory majority by tea-time.
  • Options
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

Scott_P said:

I just mowed the lawn. Should I bother weeding the beds? Is there a tax-efficient way to do this? Could I move it off-shore?
    Why not astroturf...?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Survation guy on the daily politics
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I wish serious newspapers like the Telegraph wouldn't stoop to putting silly photos on their website like this one of Corbyn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
  • Options
    calum said:
    Though that would be abhorrent electioneering with ANYONE else, it is fair game with Corbyn. He wanted the IRA to win.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    "We live in an increasingly dangerous world" indeed! Well stop being mates with the Saudi money princes who fund most jihadist terrorism. A vote for the Tories is a vote for terrorism.
  • Options
    "Big" sample Survation poll out at about 11:00pm - BBC Daily Politics.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Mortimer said:

Read this article and look at the IFS graphic. Labour are making lowest income decile 7% worse off.
  • Options
    Just for a laugh... does anyone think the Tories could win Rochdale? Surely the anti-Tory vote will split quite a bit and this has never been as firmly Labour as some suggest and some parts did used to be quite blue (Old Littleborough and Saddleworth). I might have a wee tickle.
  • Options

Remind me, which Party has taken millions of the poorest out of the Income Tax net? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)

Remind me, which party has introduced the National Living Wage, to the benefit of the poorest in society, whilst also reducing the deficit? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)

Remind me, which party has taken up to 27% the amount which the top 1% pay in Income Tax? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Yes I think Gedling will fall, Nottingham South narrow Labour hold
    I don't think Nottingham South IS in play, frankly, but the Tories do. We shall see. I don't have personal experience from Gedling in this election but I gather from colleagues that Labour reckon they'll hold.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2017

Just for a laugh... does anyone think the Tories could win Rochdale? Surely the anti-Tory vote will split quite a bit and this has never been as firmly Labour as some suggest and some parts did used to be quite blue (Old Littleborough and Saddleworth). I might have a wee tickle.

That's my best WTF outside bet Tory win. That and Tom Watson losing.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    jonny83 said:

He hasn't filled me with confidence.
  • Options

Just for a laugh... does anyone think the Tories could win Rochdale?

No.

Go to Rochdale and have a look. It will be the last ever constituency to stop being Labour....

• Options

I don't think that's quite true. Most people in this country earn less than 80k and quite a few of them, maybe even a majority, believe the country is better served by a Conservative government at the moment rather than one lead by Jeremy Corbyn...

Labour does not have a monopoly on morality.
    97% of them do in fact.

The other 3% of them don't make anything like enough to pay for everything to which Travel Junkie feels entitled. There is an upper limit to how much it is feasible for a state to spend, which is determined by how money its people have and how they will react if you take too much of it away.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Mortimer said:

or pledges in raising the higher rate threshold to £50k from £45k. These are 'buffet bowling' arguments.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I do wonder if Diane Abbott stepping aside as she has done is actually a cynical move.

Labour under Corbyn seem to have a pattern of either denying they have advocated extreme policies, met terrorists or engaged in behaviour that is designed to subvert the democratic process. The security services having open files on these characters for such a long period of time is indicative of the Cancer that is destroying Labour from within.

No doubt Abbott will be back in place after the dust has settled, you cannot trust a word that comes out of the Troika at the top of the Labour party.
  • Options

I wouldn't mind Danczuk winning there, OK he's had a few issues but I think his work into the grooming scandal has almost broken him. I'd have a hard think about my vote there.
  • Options
    NorthCadbollNorthCadboll Posts: 329
    edited June 2017
    This applies to CS &ER too where the SCons got a greater vote share last month in the Council elections than the LibDems. Both the SCon candidate and LibDem candidate were elected as councillors, the former for the first time.
    Pulpstar said:

Cicero said:

Interesting looking at the Lib Dem possibilities including a few not mentioned. They clearly have chances in Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, OxWAB, Kingston, Twickenham, Southwark, Colchester, East Dumbarton, Edinburgh West, Fife NE, Argyllshire and possibly Caithness. So if their vote is concentrating, then they certainly could come out in the high teens rather than the low single figures.

I think the awful council performance for the yellows in E Dumb has muddied the tactical waters for Jo too much.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Betting Post

Backed No Safety Car at 3 (Ladbrokes) for Canada. Checking Wikipedia, seems there's only been 2 of the last 7 races to feature one, and weather forecast is for it to be cloudy but dry.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    camel said:

jonny83 said:

He hasn't filled me with confidence.
    Looked very nervous, then of course Neil noticed it and increased the pressure.
  • Options

No.

Go to Rochdale and have a look. It will be the last ever constituency to stop being Labour....

Rochdale was a little dem seat 10 years ago.

Stop trying to create a narrative
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently the Zoomers are having a Twitterstorm today

@Frasergrant: I am #SNPbecause the people of Scotland should have the right to determine how their country is run-not have it decided for them.

He lives in Windsor...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Remarkable claim from the Survation guy that even rowing youth turnout back to 2015 levels only changes their forecast by a per cent or two
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

You've obviously not watched the series. A dalliance with Gillian Anderson does not usually result in a long happy life for the dallier.
    Bit like wearing a red shirt in the first Star Trek series.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    calum said:
    I have no problem with this - she's more than entitled to do so.
  • Options

No.

It will fall before Liverpool does. (I used to greatly enjoy watching South Lancashire League cricket at Littleborough....)
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Cyan said:

calum said:
    Good stuff from Al Jazeera. D'you know what? We may soon get the Saudi and Qatari dictatorships spilling the beans on each other. Both the Trump and May administrations (if the Tories win the election) may then be in serious trouble.

Or as others have put it:

Could you turn the volume down, dearie?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    IanB2 said:

Remarkable claim from the Survation guy that even rowing youth turnout back to 2015 levels only changes their forecast by a per cent or two

So, why the large divergence from other polls like comres and ICM? Tough being a pollster
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Dadge said:

kjohnw said:

oh yes 7/7 and the glasgow attack happened on her watch....oh wait
    suppose you'll be blaming her for paris as well
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817

Remind me, which Party has taken millions of the poorest out of the Income Tax net? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)

That would be the Lib Dems.
    Pushing through a policy which the Tories explicitly ruled out during the 2010 GE campaign - but have been very eager to take credit for since.
  • Options

I do wonder if Diane Abbott stepping aside as she has done is actually a cynical move.

Labour under Corbyn seem to have a pattern of either denying they have advocated extreme policies, met terrorists or engaged in behaviour that is designed to subvert the democratic process. The security services having open files on these characters for such a long period of time is indicative of the Cancer that is destroying Labour from within.

No doubt Abbott will be back in place after the dust has settled, you cannot trust a word that comes out of the Troika at the top of the Labour party.

Diane Abbott....cynical....same sentence?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Cheers Mr Meeks. I was beginning to think discussing the LDs on PB was like Fight Club.

TSE reminded me last night that so far this election I haven't managed to upset SNP supporters. I'm very annoyed I'm going to miss out on the full set.
    Still time to complete the full set Mr Meeks – how are you at ducking incoming turnips? :lol:
This discussion has been closed.