Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your essential Thursday evening companion. AndyJS’s general el

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your essential Thursday evening companion. AndyJS’s general election spreadsheet

Regular political betting readers will remember with much affection (and well-upholstered bank accounts) the spreadsheet that AndyJS produced for the EU referendum, setting out the expected   For 2017, he has prepared a constituency by constituency summary in order of their declaration in 2015, with the 2010 and 2015 tallies for each party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    :)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    edited June 2017
    Ooooooh!

Edit: tis a wondrous thing! Although hoping Torbay will be earlier than 4.39 this year....
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Andy J might just be a PB God :D
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

HurstLlama

I mean that services will be restricted, as they already are in some localities, on the basis of cost rather than clinical need and best practice.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/31/nhs-rationing-hip-replacement-patients-needlessly-suffering/amp/

Need a hip replacement? Sorry, you need to be in more pain before you can go in the waiting list.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Nice one @AndyJS

Can we have an explanation of how to use it please?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    Cheers Andy, I've been looking through this the last few hours.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GIN1138 said:

:+1:
    I think I'll do my usual election night routine of going to bed at 11pm, waking up at 3am, going back to bed at 5.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good afternoon Conservative Bedwetters and watchers alike.

Just had the last of the "JackW Contacts Dozen" come through. Pushed out 15 with 12 returns. Looking to post an executive summary by 5:30pm.

This will also include an updated eve of poll JWCBI
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    edited June 2017
    Freggles said:

I think I'll do my usual election night routine of going to bed at 11pm, waking up at 3am, going back to bed at 5.

It'll either be like living through a nightmare or a slightly mediocre wonderful dream.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

I hope you are off the clock. ;)
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

He won everyone about a million quid at the ref and didn't even get POTY! :lol:
    Very nice.

AndyJS also has another spreadsheet showing Labour defences. He mentioned he might be color coding this during the night, so it would be worth keeping it open in another tab

here it is
    Pulpstar said:

Freggles said:

It'll either be like living through a nightmare or a wonderful dream.
    I feel like there's much more consensus on the result than the last two (2015/2016) so less drama over night.
    RobD said:

I'm meant to be off this week at work but I've been at work all week so far.

Means I've not been able to campaigning for Aaron.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    I take it that the numbers in for this election are notional at the moment. Either that or this is way more fixed than I thought.

RobD said:

If we don't win Don Valley you are off the Christmas card list. :p
    DavidL said:

I take it that the numbers in for this election are notional at the moment. Either that or this is way more fixed than I thought.

This is just comparing 2010 to 2015.
    Has anyone recorded the output of the YouGov model for, erm, posterity?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Thanks Andy JS. Much appreciated.

I don't know whether anyone has yet commented on today's YouGov model update.

One only expects small movements because of the nature of the model and sampling, but for what it's worth, there is a slight movement away from Con and SNP and towards Labour.

Con 302 (-2)
    Lab 269 (+3)
    SNP 44 (-2)

It's not the absolute numbers that are of interest but whether YouGov has picked up a late trend back to Labour.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

If we don't win Don Valley you are off the Christmas card list. :p
    My support has been in kind in helping Aaron become an MP.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    On Topic Thanks Andy looks great.

Off Topic YG Model

Cant believe they have reduced Tory seats further

I really cant see it being right but if they were and just for old times sake

JICIPM!!!!

Unfortunately ICM almost certainly right and TMICIPM
    Freggles said:

Has anyone recorded the output of the YouGov model for, erm, posterity?

Oh yes, there's a few pollsters screen shoting the YouGov model.
    Barnesian said:

One only expects small movements because of the nature of the model and sampling, but for what it's worth, there is a slight movement away from Con and SNP and towards Labour.

Con 302 (-2)
    Lab 269 (+3)
    SNP 44 (-2)

It's not the absolute numbers that are of interest but whether YouGov has picked up a late trend back to Labour.

I really wish they would show the PDFs for their forecasts. The natural assumption is that they are normal, but they could be very wide and flat.
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Really? So in the first 24 seats to report there was actually a swing from the Tories to Labour? No wonder it took so long for the predictions to catch up with an overall majority.
  • RobD said:

Me too. I have been out all week and haven't been able to be active in Corby. The PM should have consulted us when she called the GE!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    WillHill moving the SCon over under line from 9.5 to 8.5 is sad panda time for me
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    isam said:

Nice one @AndyJS

In my experience, stare at it blankly for five minutes before giving up and relying on the running commentary on pb from the smartypants who can use it.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Really? So in the first 24 seats to report there was actually a swing from the Tories to Labour? No wonder it took so long for the predictions to catch up with an overall majority.
    I'm just going by the column labels :p

Swindon North had a swing to the Tories, but it took a while to undo the swing to Labour seen in Sunderland.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Thanks AndyJS, very useful.

Pointless statistic. Labour were ahead of the Tories in total votes in 2015 until 05:43 when Witney declared. I wonder how long they'll be in front this time?

RobD said:

Me too. I have been out all week and haven't been able to be active in Corby. The PM should have consulted us when she called the GE!
    Mrs May could not have picked a worse time to hold this election.

isam said:

Nice one @AndyJS

In my experience, stare at it blankly for five minutes before giving up and relying on the running commentary on pb from the smartypants who can use it.
    There is no using it, it isn't interactive. It's just showing how the running total of votes in 2015 changed as the night went on.
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

Pointless statistic. Labour were ahead of the Tories in total votes in 2015 until 05:43 when Witney declared. I wonder how long they'll be in front this time?

These are the kind of stats that the BBC etc. should feature. :p
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

isam said:

Nice one @AndyJS

Easier still - wait for the exit poll at 10pm and then let it all roll over you. Bad news (whatever side you're on) and head straight to bed; good news and stay up revelling in it all.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Freggles said:

HurstLlama

I mean that services will be restricted, as they already are in some localities, on the basis of cost rather than clinical need and best practice.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/31/nhs-rationing-hip-replacement-patients-needlessly-suffering/amp/

Need a hip replacement? Sorry, you need to be in more pain before you can go in the waiting list.

Mr. Freggles, That is what is happening now. Indeed it has been happening for many, many years. It fact it is worse than that, because if one is elderly then stricter rationing comes in.

What you said (in your original post on previous thread, to which I responded) will happen in the future is actually what is happening now. The NHS already rations on grounds of cost, on grounds of yearly budgets, and on grounds of age.

What we need is a proper national debate as to how to make the NHS fit for the 21st century. Before that can happen the major parties must stop pretending that a system designed in the late 1940s can be good enough if only we thrown a few more billion pounds at it.
    Alistair said:

WillHill moving the SCon over under line from 9.5 to 8.5 is sad panda time for me

You could always do a bit of delivery in Edi SW xD
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

IIRC the SNP were ahead of the Tories until 2am in terms of seats.
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

isam said:

Nice one @AndyJS

There is no using it, it isn't interactive. It's just showing how the running total of votes in 2015 changed as the night went on.
    What do columns D to K mean though? Running change
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Nice one @AndyJS

What do columns D to K mean though? Running change
    Yeah, running change in % terms. The running change in absolute vote is a bit further to the right.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    No comment needed, I think.

Over-zealous traffic wardens put parking tickets on at least six cars trapped inside the police cordon set up after the London Bridge attack, the Sun reports.

It claims the wardens swooped shortly after the cordon was lifted, giving motorists whose cars had been inaccessible since Saturday night little time to remove their vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/07/london-attacks-new-arrest-as-mi5-prepares-to-review-counter-terrorism-live-updates
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    Shame that the spreadsheet doesn't include the formulae for the calculated cells (though these are easy to re-enter manually)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Over-zealous traffic wardens put parking tickets on at least six cars trapped inside the police cordon set up after the London Bridge attack, the Sun reports.

It claims the wardens swooped shortly after the cordon was lifted, giving motorists whose cars had been inaccessible since Saturday night little time to remove their vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/07/london-attacks-new-arrest-as-mi5-prepares-to-review-counter-terrorism-live-updates

Stay classy....
  • llefllef Posts: 298
    new welsh poll out
    Labour: 46% (no change)
    Conservatives: 34% (-1)
    Plaid Cymru: 9% (+1)
    Liberal Democrats: 5% (no change)
    UKIP: 5% (no change)
    Others: 1% (+1)
    There are no big changes since our previous poll; all movements are well within the ‘margin of error’.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Surely the tickets can be appealed against?

And the traffic wardens disciplined.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

TFL has already said they'll be cancelled, but one has to wonder at the crassness of issuing them in the first place.

Shame that the spreadsheet doesn't include the formulae for the calculated cells (though these are easy to re-enter manually)

You should be able to make a copy of the sheet on the file menu. Probably just an absolute cell reference in a sum.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

tlg86 said:

No simultaneous local elections in England this time though so the Scottish seats shouldn't be so front-loaded in reporting (though they were still early declarers in the EURef, which was a stand-alone vote, albeit one with a smaller turnout in Scotland than England).
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TfL have already cancelled them and apologised.

I'm not sure you can discipline traffic wardens for being w*nkers though?

Oh Lord, they were dishing out parking tickets at the One Love gig in Manchester

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/taxi-driver-confronts-warden-handing-10567402

TFL has already said they'll be cancelled, but one has to wonder at the crassness of issuing them in the first place.
    I believe wardens in parts of London get paid partly based on the number of tickets they issue

Freggles said:

HurstLlama

Mr. Freggles, That is what is happening now. Indeed it has been happening for many, many years. It fact it is worse than that, because if one is elderly then stricter rationing comes in.

What you said (in your original post on previous thread, to which I responded) will happen in the future is actually what is happening now. The NHS already rations on grounds of cost, on grounds of yearly budgets, and on grounds of age.

What we need is a proper national debate as to how to make the NHS fit for the 21st century. Before that can happen the major parties must stop pretending that a system designed in the late 1940s can be good enough if only we thrown a few more billion pounds at it.
    There was a good piece on this on R5 with someone from the IFS. The Tories current plans increases health spending by 1.2% for the next 6 years in real terms. Labour's plans are to increase it by 2%. But Labour are also committed to increasing NHS salaries by more than 1% a year so who knows who will actually produce more health care at the end of the day?

What is definite is that current demand with our pretty much universal service is increasing at 4% a year. Neither party can hope to match that because the economy is not and will not grow fast enough to sustain that. So hard choices have to be made. It would be naïve to wish our politicians could be honest about this.
    Alot of the Corbyn strongholds have been REALLY REALLY strongholds, like Labour down to their last 50 seat strongholds.

Brum Ladywood last night, Gateshead. Stuff way more nailed on than Bolsover.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742

tlg86 said:

What time on Friday am d'ye think the Scottish Tories will overtake the SNP?
    edited June 2017

tlg86 said:

We're all waiting up for the Panda/SCON crossover. It will be celebrated with the customary chorus of KLAXONs.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    #lastminutecorbynsmears. He bludgeons strawberries to death and boils them with sugar.

tlg86 said:

After the Glasgow seats declare. That's high noon for the surge.

If Shettleson can elect a Tory councillor in May then anything is possible.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    Pulpstar said:

Alot of the Corbyn strongholds have been REALLY REALLY strongholds, like Labour down to their last 50 seat strongholds.

I wouldn't necessarily take too much notice of where Corbyn is going. He isn't playing quite the same game as May, and certainly doesn't have access to the same level of organisation and data.
    A suitable alternative to the chorus of KLAXONs :smiley:
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Pulpstar said:

TBF the Ladywood one was just outside the city centre and was reasonably accessible. OTOH, they did absolutely nothing to publicise it to the average man on New Street.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The keenly unawaited Meeks prediction:

Con 380
    Lab 197
    SNP 45
    Lib Dem 6
    Plaid Cymru 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1
    Northern Ireland 18

Con maj 110
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Barnesian said:

Con 302 (-2)
    Lab 269 (+3)
    SNP 44 (-2)

Perhaps I should be panicking again. A Lab minority gov't with Scot Ref 2 and EU Ref 2 to buy off the SNP and LDs. Stuff of nightmares.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

tlg86 said:

Monkeysurvey have it Con 42 Lab 38

Con 380
    Lab 197
    SNP 45
    Lib Dem 6
    Plaid Cymru 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1
    Northern Ireland 18

Con maj 110

Yes please.
    Rhubarb said:

Pulpstar said:

TBF the Ladywood one was just outside the city centre and was reasonably accessible. OTOH, they did absolutely nothing to publicise it to the average man on New Street.
    The average man on New Street is voting Tory, that is why.
  • Monkeysurvey have it Con 42 Lab 38

Is that new one, or the one from yesterday with the same shares?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    The pound seems to be doing OK at present

SurveyMonkey? :p

Is that new one, or the one from yesterday with the same shares?
    Last night's poll, Mike's only just tweeted it.
    TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

So before 'The' Rangers win the SPL for the first time then?
  • wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    Anecdote alert: listening on the train to a lady telling her friend that her son is coming home from holiday today "because he wants to vote". I think youth turnout is going to be much higher than history might suggest.

Majority < 50 or NOC.

WillS
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    RobD said:

Con 380
    Lab 197
    SNP 45
    Lib Dem 6
    Plaid Cymru 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1
    Northern Ireland 18

Con maj 110

Yes please.
    It's based on rigorous scientific methods compiled through a matrix of core variables including sniffing the air, taking polls into account to the extent I consider appropriate and what regulators call environmental scanning and the rest of us call reading the newspapers etc.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

Con 380
    Lab 197
    SNP 45
    Lib Dem 6
    Plaid Cymru 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1
    Northern Ireland 18

Con maj 110

Yes please.
    Would take that and broadly agree. If Yougov was anywhere near accurate there would be blind panic at Tory HQ right now.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    meanwhile Erdington and Edgbaston have had email calls out to help defend them :/
    RobD said:

I'm tired, busy, I've got my debut media performance tonight, and it's my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow.

#Stressed.

RobD said:

I'm tired, busy, I've got my debut media performance tonight, and it's my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow.

#Stressed.
    Which media ?
  • TypoTypo Posts: 195
    As I mentioned yesterday, going by Andy's list, Darlington could be the first Tory gain of the night. It would symbolic of the realignment of the parties if the first gain comes from the North East.

RobD said:

#Stressed.
    Dare I ask what channel? :D:p
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    RobD said:

Has Plato's PollCat reported any figures?

meanwhile Erdington and Edgbaston have had email calls out to help defend them :/

Both Corbyn gains...
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

#Stressed.
    Which media ?
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/naked-attraction
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

#Stressed.
    Which media ?
    The world's best political podcast.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

RobD said:

Con 380
    Lab 197
    SNP 45
    Lib Dem 6
    Plaid Cymru 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1
    Northern Ireland 18

Con maj 110

Yes please.
    It's based on rigorous scientific methods compiled through a matrix of core variables including sniffing the air, taking polls into account to the extent I consider appropriate and what regulators call environmental scanning and the rest of us call reading the newspapers etc.
    You missed your calling Mr Meeks, you should have been an Estate agent…
    wills66 said:

Anecdote alert: listening on the train to a lady telling her friend that her son is coming home from holiday today "because he wants to vote". I think youth turnout is going to be much higher than history might suggest.

Majority < 50 or NOC.

WillS

Depends if he was part of the youth vote that normally turns up.
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Labour's new intro for Corbyn.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Norm said:

Barnesian said:

Con 302 (-2)
    Lab 269 (+3)
    SNP 44 (-2)

Perhaps I should be panicking again. A Lab minority gov't with Scot Ref 2 and EU Ref 2 to buy off the SNP and LDs. Stuff of nightmares.
    IndyRef2 is dead in the water if Lab get in.
    Charles said:

Both Corbyn gains...
    The news keeps getting better... :D
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

Difficult for #55 to be the SPL as any fule noes its the SPFL now.

D- for trolling. Must do better.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't necessarily take too much notice of where Corbyn is going. He isn't playing quite the same game as May, and certainly doesn't have access to the same level of organisation and data.
    I think he is doing a Trump looking for large crowds.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Charles said:

Both Corbyn gains...
    Thought they were both labour seats?
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Charles said:

Both Corbyn gains...
    sorry being dim
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Charles said:

Both Corbyn gains...
    Thought they were both labour seats?
    Think that was the joke...
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Remember that, early on, Labour candidates did not want to be associated with Corbyn. So he could only go where he was wanted.
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

Difficult for #55 to be the SPL as any fule noes its the SPFL now.

D- for trolling. Must do better.
    A+ for biting.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    wills66 said:

Majority < 50 or NOC.

WillS

A poll in the Metro this morning said youth turnout will be up to 54% but over 65 turnout up to 79% tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.