Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Unsurprisingly the betting moves against Trump serving a full

2»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Chris said:

Well, at least they set out a bit of their working, rather than just saying "clearly X" or "clearly Y".

As did I. What's more, I pointed out that the interpretation they were putting on the statute would mean that any information from a foreign source couldn't be used by a campaign, which is ludicrous and have never been claimed before, and that by exactly the same reasoning any information from a US source should be declared as a political donation, which I doubt has ever happened.

Look, I understand why people are desperate to find ways of ridding the US of the national embarrassment of having Trump as their president, but, really, on any dispassionate view this is a feeble allegation, unless it turns out that there was a quid pro quo promised by the Trump campaign.
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

619 said:

619 said:

currystar said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

He will serve the rest of this term, then step down.

I think the biggest risk to Trump is his health. He looks to have put on about 10 kilos and 10 years since he became President just six months ago. He's also at an age when the risk of medical issues starts to grow significantly.

Now, is it a 50% chance that he fails to complete his first term due to health issues? Nope. But it's probably 25% or so.
    I think he hates being President. Its not like running your own company
    He also doesn't seem to like the hatred of him from the majority of people
    The majority of people don't hate him
    Internationally they do. His approval rating in the US are well below water as well.
    Below water doesn't begin to describe how bad they are.

Presidential approval ratings in July of first year (elected presidents only)

Donald Trump 38 3-9 July Barack Obama 57 Jul 2009 George W. Bush 57 Jul 2001 Bill Clinton 43 Jul 1993 George H.W. Bush 66 Jul 1989 Ronald Reagan 59 Jul 1981 Jimmy Carter 65 Jul 1977 Richard Nixon 62 Jul 1969 John Kennedy 75 Jul 1961 Dwight Eisenhower 71 Jul 1953
    Only Clinton comes close at this stage of a presidency, which may give some pointer the the mid-term elections.
    There are great comparison graphs in the lower part of this fivethirtyeight page - you can see all the past President numbers over the full period of their terms or just compare the first segments of their administrations. Looks like Trump was briefly ahead of Clinton and is currently ahead of Ford

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Well, at least they set out a bit of their working, rather than just saying "clearly X" or "clearly Y".

No they don't, not on the critical question how far beyond cash "contribution" can be construed; they very much skate over this in the two paras beginning "The crucial phrase here..."

I am a retired lawyer in the wrong country and you are not a lawyer at all afaik (apologies if that's wrong) so we are pretty much equally unqualified to have a view on this. But I am confident the claim, *on the evidence available to date,* is baloney, and will bet accordingly.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701
    GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

At the moment, the Trump presidency is proving a weird experience: he's embarrassingly childish, but in concrete terms he hasn't (from the GOP point of view) wrecked anything yet.

He hasn't done much of anything, yet.
    Apart from sliding past ethanol subsidy reform I've been pleased with his EPA changes.

Hard to make substantial progress when the Dems are stalling nominees. At this rate of of up/down votes it will take just over 4 years for all his nominees to get to their desks. Which is course is the obstructionists' plan.
    Republicans did the same to Obama.
    Bullshit
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/nov/22/harry-reid/harry-reid-says-82-presidential-nominees-have-been/

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/277774-gop-blocks-obama-judicial-nominees-amid-court-fight
    As of June 28 Trump had nominated 178 appointees but the Senate had confirmed only 46.

Barack Obama had 183 nominees confirmed by that date in his first term.

George W. Bush had 130 confirmed.

This obstruction against nominees includes a demand for cloture filings for every nominee no matter how minor the position. This means a two-day waiting period and then another 30 hours of debate.

The 30-hour rule means it will take 4 years to fill those 400 positions. The cloture rule also allows the minority to halt other business during the 30-hour debate period so everything else stops too.

You are an idiot and a liar.
    How Trump is stalling his own nominees
    The White House has taken weeks to formally submit nominations to the Senate, even after announcing the picks.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/06/trump-administration-nominees-paperwork-239124
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

Scotland's Andy Murray crashes out of Wimbledon

British pride resting now with an Australian girl of Hungarian parentage who passed a citizenship test.... ;-)
    You forgot the bit about being trained in Spain...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,683
    It doesn't matter in a way. Republicans will have to exorcise Trump one how or the other. They can either scuttle the Trump ship now or they can slowly sink with it. Pandering to the committed isn't enough. You have to reach out to independents and those that might be convinced. Republicans won't be able to do that while hitched to DT.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,286
    rawzer said:

619 said:

619 said:

currystar said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I think the biggest risk to Trump is his health. He looks to have put on about 10 kilos and 10 years since he became President just six months ago. He's also at an age when the risk of medical issues starts to grow significantly.

Now, is it a 50% chance that he fails to complete his first term due to health issues? Nope. But it's probably 25% or so.
    Internationally they do. His approval rating in the US are well below water as well.

Donald Trump 38 3-9 July Barack Obama 57 Jul 2009 George W. Bush 57 Jul 2001 Bill Clinton 43 Jul 1993 George H.W. Bush 66 Jul 1989 Ronald Reagan 59 Jul 1981 Jimmy Carter 65 Jul 1977 Richard Nixon 62 Jul 1969 John Kennedy 75 Jul 1961 Dwight Eisenhower 71 Jul 1953
    Only Clinton comes close at this stage of a presidency, which may give some pointer the the mid-term elections.
    There are great comparison graphs in the lower part of this fivethirtyeight page - you can see all the past President numbers over the full period of their terms or just compare the first segments of their administrations. Looks like Trump was briefly ahead of Clinton and is currently ahead of Ford

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
    Nixon maintained at least 25% approval ratings throughout his impeachment...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    IanB2 said:

British pride resting now with an Australian girl of Hungarian parentage who passed a citizenship test.... ;-)
    Sounds like a citizen of nowhere to me!
  • Options
    An interesting exchange involving Trump's nominee for the replacement FBI director:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40573675

Mr Wray also faced questions about emails belonging to Donald Trump Jr - the president's eldest son - arranging a meeting with a Russian lawyer linked to the Kremlin.
    The nominee told senators he was unfamiliar with the emails.
    Senator Lindsey Graham read out the text of the emails to him and asked if Mr Trump Jr "should have taken that meeting".
    "I would think you'd want to consult with some good legal advisers before you did that," said Mr Wray...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,238
    IanB2 said:

If she wins Wimbledon we should give Gibraltar to Spain as thanks.

Will also help get us a good Brexit deal.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088

Chris said:

As did I. What's more, I pointed out that the interpretation they were putting on the statute would mean that any information from a foreign source couldn't be used by a campaign, which is ludicrous and have never been claimed before, and that by exactly the same reasoning any information from a US source should be declared as a political donation, which I doubt has ever happened.
    I was replying to Ishmael, not you.

But you didn't really show any working yourself. First you said "nothing came of it", which as I pointed out is irrelevant to the question of whether it was solicited. Then you just asserted that information wasn't a thing of value, and added that you doubted whether it was a contribution.

Eventually you came up with the argument about the Guardian offering information. That's a better argument. But I doubt it's conclusive. Supposing a foreign supporter were to carry out several million pounds worth of market research for a US candidate, and present the data to him as a present, in order to save the candidate having to fund the market research himself. Would you really claim that such information shouldn't be covered by this law, as a "thing of value"? It seems to me that in effect such a gift of information would be for all practical purposes equivalent to a cash donation equal to the cost of gathering the information.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nothing came of it...

@4everNeverTrump: I just ran Lexis news article searches.

Trump NEVER mentioned HRC's 33,000 emails before Jun 9, 2016. After, he mentioned almost daily.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

No they don't, not on the critical question how far beyond cash "contribution" can be construed; they very much skate over this in the two paras beginning "The crucial phrase here..."

I am a retired lawyer in the wrong country and you are not a lawyer at all afaik (apologies if that's wrong) so we are pretty much equally unqualified to have a view on this.
    Well, pretty much the only opinion I'm expressing is that the question isn't entirely as crystal clear as you claimed. But no doubt anyone arguing with a lawyer is bound to end up in the wrong :-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good evening, everyone.

Shame about Murray's hip, but these things happen.

Hope Konta and Federer win it.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, I see the government has noticed signs of ursine lavatorial habits in forested areas.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Scott_P said:

Nothing came of it...

@4everNeverTrump: I just ran Lexis news article searches.

Trump NEVER mentioned HRC's 33,000 emails before Jun 9, 2016. After, he mentioned almost daily.

I thought it was public knowledge before that?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mr. Isam, I see the government has noticed signs of ursine lavatorial habits in forested areas.

Our former Home Sec didn't seem to notice during her 6 year term.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, or, indeed, the previous government. Not unlike energy policy, every government's been rubbish at it for years.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

At the moment, the Trump presidency is proving a weird experience: he's embarrassingly childish, but in concrete terms he hasn't (from the GOP point of view) wrecked anything yet.

Apart from sliding past ethanol subsidy reform I've been pleased with his EPA changes.

Hard to make substantial progress when the Dems are stalling nominees. At this rate of of up/down votes it will take just over 4 years for all his nominees to get to their desks. Which is course is the obstructionists' plan.
    Bullshit
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/nov/22/harry-reid/harry-reid-says-82-presidential-nominees-have-been/

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/277774-gop-blocks-obama-judicial-nominees-amid-court-fight
    As of June 28 Trump had nominated 178 appointees but the Senate had confirmed only 46.

This obstruction against nominees includes a demand for cloture filings for every nominee no matter how minor the position. This means a two-day waiting period and then another 30 hours of debate.

The 30-hour rule means it will take 4 years to fill those 400 positions. The cloture rule also allows the minority to halt other business during the 30-hour debate period so everything else stops too.

This site would improve immeasurably if people like you could debate things without hurling personal abuse at people that have the temerity to disagree with you
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, or, indeed, the previous government. Not unlike energy policy, every government's been rubbish at it for years.

Though they have had a very tidy business flogging arms to Saudi. That may well have distracted them a bit.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Normally I'd be calling MPs stupid for proposing something so daft, but after seeing some of the abuse they've had to deal with, I understand why they've come up with such a proposal.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/885172634660548608
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I was defrauded recently on one of my cards. I'm not proposing to ban credit or debit cards.

Their proposal is ridiculous. If individuals commit crimes such as incitement, then track them down, don't strip anonymity from everybody in the country because of a few idiots.

Dr. Foxinsox, a moral stand could've been taken. It would've resulted in £3bn more arms sales from France and lost us thousands of jobs, but these are the choices a government must make.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

Normally I'd be calling MPs stupid for proposing something so daft, but after seeing some of the abuse they've had to deal with, I understand why they've come up with such a proposal.

It seems overkill given that the rare cases when someone does something serious they can almost always be traced by some combination of login information/email address/IP address/via the ISP. Yes, the real criminals will make sure they can't be traced, but will probably achieve that whatever is done. I doubt that the MPs proposal is practical, anyway.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I was defrauded recently on one of my cards. I'm not proposing to ban credit or debit cards.

Their proposal is ridiculous. If individuals commit crimes such as incitement, then track them down, don't strip anonymity from everybody in the country because of a few idiots.

Dr. Foxinsox, a moral stand could've been taken. It would've resulted in £3bn more arms sales from France and lost us thousands of jobs, but these are the choices a government must make.

Our moral blindness to the crimes of Saudi, Gulf states and other repulsive regimes because we want to arm them shows a clear sense of priority of profit over social order in the UK. Whats wrong with a bit of hate preaching as long as they buy our bombs.

Some see the war on Yemen as a war crime, others as a sales opportunity.
  • Options

One of their fellow MPs was murdered a little over a year ago, a lot of them have to deal with death threats, threats to rape them and their families, threats to murder their family.

Yes, being defrauded on a card is a lot like that.
  • Options

One of their fellow MPs was murdered a little over a year ago, a lot of them have to deal with death threats, threats to rape them and their families, threats to murder their family.

Yes, being defrauded on a card is a lot like that.
    An MP was murdered, so ban pseudonymous free speech ?

I'm not quite following the logic.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, even if you imagine such a ban can happen and be enforced online, MPs' office addresses are available (they must be). Are we going to ban anonymous post too? Or people approaching a surgery without ID?

I'm not belittling the crime of incitement or death threats, and those who make them should be pursued. I'm arguing against the remedy, which is unenforceable against criminals whilst having the additional massive drawback of removing anonymity from everybody in the country who wants to use social media.

All such a policy would do is piss off the law-abiding whilst the scum move to another medium or simply lie and pretend to be people they're not. It'll aggravate the innocent and do nothing to prevent the guilty from continuing. If banning stuff stopped it as a matter of course there'd be no murder. The resolution to a problem has to make sense and be enforceable.

Dr. Foxinsox, indeed. But if your job and your family's prosperity depends on it, the matter won't be so clear cut.

Mr. B2, I agree entirely.
  • Options

I agree entirely with your first paragraph, but I'm not quite seeing the comparison in the second, Mr.D.

There is a definite moral benefit in pseudonymous free speech which is absent, I'd argue, in the arms trade with Saudi Arabia.
    We might preserve jobs supplying them with arms, but jobs dependent on providing despots with the means to kill their opponents are not a moral good.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

How does it get policed?
  • Options
  • Options
    **Trigger warning for PB's Maybots**

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/885188469462630400
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    How the hell does he go from:
    "in what should be understood as a national emergency, this does not seem like a sensible time for an experiment..."
    To suggesting Priti Patel!!?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
    rkrkrk said:

How the hell does he go from:
    "in what should be understood as a national emergency, this does not seem like a sensible time for an experiment..."
    To suggesting Priti Patel!!?
    She knows where our national interests lie in the Brexit negotiations.

https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/733018241484922880
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

I am a retired lawyer in the wrong country and you are not a lawyer at all afaik (apologies if that's wrong) so we are pretty much equally unqualified to have a view on this.
    Well, pretty much the only opinion I'm expressing is that the question isn't entirely as crystal clear as you claimed. But no doubt anyone arguing with a lawyer is bound to end up in the wrong :-)
    I would rather be too concise than not concise enough. Yes, there is obviously an argument on the lines in your (bad-mannered) post addressed to Mr Nabavi at 5.06. Yes, it might be right. I don't think it is, but who knows? The End.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Bullshit

"The obstruction of nominees" by a Senate and Congress controlled by Republicans. Trump is a Republican.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,028

619 said:

619 said:

currystar said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What are the changes from their approval rating at election ? I think that might give a better idea as to how they were viewed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

619 said:

619 said:

currystar said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What are the changes from their approval rating at election ? I think that might give a better idea as to how they were viewed.
    Here you go: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/initial_approval.php

Trump did start as less popular than any other President (although only barely worse than Reagan or Bush Sr).

But nevertheless, Trump's rating are pretty awful. He was very, very lucky to face Hillary.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    surbiton said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Bullshit

"The obstruction of nominees" by a Senate and Congress controlled by Republicans. Trump is a Republican.
    Like Geoff said, you don't need a majority to do this.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,028
    rcs1000 said:

619 said:

619 said:

currystar said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Here you go: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/initial_approval.php

Trump did start as less popular than any other President (although only barely worse than Reagan or Bush Sr).

But nevertheless, Trump's rating are pretty awful. He was very, very lucky to face Hillary.
    Thanks.

I suspect that if HC had won her ratings would have shown a similar decline to Trump's.

I think its going to be harder and harder to be popular in either govern the USA or the UK without rapidly becoming deeply unpopular.

The only way for a politician to be popular will be to be not be someone else.
This discussion has been closed.